Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Why is SSL changing my Id3 tags???

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
RiceCube 3:58 AM - 8 November, 2004
I just bought SSL yesterday and I've been playing around with it and I'm realizing that SSL is changing my Id3 tags! Why is this happening? Can the next update add the ability to turn this function off? I've spent a ton of hours editing my BPM information and SSL is tampering with that info! I'm scared to play with SSL now until I can figure out a way to keep SSL from changing my Id3 tags. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
djpetey 5:22 AM - 8 November, 2004
i havent had this problem, but my suggestion for lots of reasons is to buy an external hard drive that stores all of your mp3s before you take them to ssl..... that way you have a master backup regardless of any issues with ssl of your mp3s..... its also a good way to transfer files from one machine to another
RiceCube 5:35 AM - 8 November, 2004
But then I can't prepare tracks with cue markers and that's one of the main reasons why I bought SSL so that I could set-up cue markers...
RiceCube 6:01 AM - 8 November, 2004
I've done some basic testing and it seems that SSL1.2 only reads from the PCDJ BPM field. I use a program called Tag&Rename to edit the Id3 tags of my mp3's and in that program, there are two BPM fields. One is the standard BPM while the 2nd one is the PCDJ BPM field. Apparently SSL reads the BPMs from only the PCDJ field and not the standard one which is really messing up my BPM's because a lot of my PCDJ BPM's are incorrect.

For the developers, I know that you guys made some changes to 1.2 to enable the reading of different types of BPMs...but that's the main cause of my problems. For a future release, can you please implement an option where the BPM's are read exactly as they're written? And also where the standard BPM is read, not the PCDJ BPM? The PCDJ BPM by the way is the 5 digit BPM (I think the decimal is included after the 3rd digit). If you use Tag&Rename, you should know exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks.
Diva 6:07 AM - 8 November, 2004
Quote:
For the developers, I know that you guys made some changes to 1.2 to enable the reading of different types of BPMs...but that's the main cause of my problems. For a future release, can you please implement an option where the BPM's are read exactly as they're written? And also where the standard BPM is read, not the PCDJ BPM? The PCDJ BPM by the way is the 5 digit BPM (I think the decimal is included after the 3rd digit). If you use Tag&Rename, you should know exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks.

Hey RiceCube it may be better to post this in the "Features/Suggestions" forum.
Diva 8:11 AM - 8 November, 2004
oops.. you have already. Sorry. Hope this problem gets sorted for you soon. Bummer you can't use your SSL.
RiceCube 8:17 AM - 8 November, 2004
I can use it...but I have to use a dummy set of songs. I can't play the master copies or else their Id3 tag info will get changed. Basically my main problem is that I can't make any cue marks for my master set of mp3's until they make an update that won't change my Id3 info when I play the songs =[

I've been reading about how great the support is for SSL so I'm just going to wait and see how this pans out. I'm very excited though =]
djpetey 10:07 AM - 8 November, 2004
thats a good point about the cue markers.... ive been running into that as well..... there have been suggestions to let us set cues without the scratch amp plugged in or (preferably) through a seperate serato application that we can install on our desktops or whatever..... until then, I dont think there is a solution to your problem
nik39 11:41 AM - 8 November, 2004
I have also suggested that there should be an option, so SSL does not alter the mp3 files at all.
It _is_ possible, like in FS, there all additional data (overview, markers etc.) was stored in an external database and not int the file itself, with all the pros and cons (if you move a track to a different location you have to tell FS where it has been moved, als it cant make the connection).
djpety, again, I second your suggestion, it makes total sense to have masterbackup archive. I for instance have my mp3 all with crc-check values, and of course these crc values are messed/wrong when SSL alters the files.
DJ 3pm 3:09 PM - 8 November, 2004
i'm not a windows person so i don't know if this is feasible or not: on mac/unix i would just change the permissions of your music to r-x instead of rwx. wouldn't this address that? (sorry, i know you are looking for a software fix, not a work around)
nik39 3:35 PM - 8 November, 2004
DJ 3pm, yes, it would. In windows you can select a whole directory and then simply make it read only. In mac it would be something like "chmod -R a-w /path"...
SpinThis! 3:50 PM - 8 November, 2004
or chmod 744 /dir/
SpinThis! 3:52 PM - 8 November, 2004
ooops.. actually it's 444 if you own the file.. opens up a whole new can of worms tho imo.
nik39 3:55 PM - 8 November, 2004
Man, I think I should switch to Mac, only because of its unix based OS... :-) No mac/win discussion here please, there are tons of other threads about that ;)
SpinThis! 3:56 PM - 8 November, 2004
try it you might like it. :)
bartaug 4:10 PM - 8 November, 2004
Quote:
Man, I think I should switch to Mac, only because of its unix based OS... :-) No mac/win discussion here please, there are tons of other threads about that ;)

I think I'll buy the new 12" iBook, it's very small and not to expensive (see other threads about this).