Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

New Mac Mini released - Video monster?

VJ Justin Allen 2:34 PM - 3 March, 2009
To me for $599.00 this seems like a perfect way to use Serato and video SL for a low entry cost. My question to the tech people at Serato: What are your thoughts on this system?

Here's the specs for the basic model:

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 128MB
3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
1066MHz frontside bus

Complete specs here:
www.apple.com
VJ Justin Allen 2:47 PM - 3 March, 2009
Let me add this as well

$599 version:
120GB hard drive
1GB memory

$799 version:
320GB hard drive
2 GB memory

Those are the main differences between the 2 stock models.
nemix 3:56 PM - 3 March, 2009
This might be my backup later on...
VJ Justin Allen 3:58 PM - 3 March, 2009
An another bit of information.

The graphics on the $599 version are at 128mb. Because of the way that Apple uses memory if you upgrade your internal memory to 2 gigs or more, then your video memory goes up to 256mb memory.

Mac mini is looking better all the time. What say you Serato technicians?
mizu 5:32 PM - 3 March, 2009
where you are saying that upgrading ram upgrades the video, never heard of this. Doe s this effect other macs like say the Macbbok Pro. I dont think so, because i beleive it is dedicated video ram. But i am gonna throw it out there.
djpuma_gemini 5:54 PM - 3 March, 2009
Shared video, or if you buy the higher one you get better video.
VJ Justin Allen 6:10 PM - 3 March, 2009
Based on my initial reading they are both shared video. It has to do with the chip and the way OS X operates.

Anyone have any other info?
djpuma_gemini 6:28 PM - 3 March, 2009
VJ Justin Allen 6:29 PM - 3 March, 2009
Sorry about that. I guess I meant additional info on the workings of shared video at 256 mb as it relates to Serato Video SL.
djpuma_gemini 12:52 AM - 4 March, 2009
Go to apple store install vsl and ssl reboot hookup your laptop and run some video tests. Tell them, how are you going to know you want it if you can't test it.
DJPNUT 4:11 AM - 4 March, 2009
I started using vsl on my Mac mini 2.0 back in september

This new mini looks promising
VJ Justin Allen 6:31 PM - 4 March, 2009
Lots of good responses but I am a bit disappointed that a Serato Tech person hasn't answered this question one way or another.
VJ Justin Allen 8:10 PM - 4 March, 2009
Whats the difference between this and a laptop? Or an iMac for instance?
D-Twizzle 9:16 PM - 4 March, 2009
an external monitor, keyboard and mouse
dead serious 9:23 PM - 4 March, 2009
^ yup.

I'm probably gonna get one, but strictly for HTPC (home-theatre PC) use

just wouldn't make sense to bring extra parts to gigs
VJ Justin Allen 10:22 PM - 4 March, 2009
I bring 3 DVJ-X1's, 3 15" monitors, and a host of other equipment. One little Mac Mini is not going to hurt me at all.
VJ Justin Allen 11:42 AM - 5 March, 2009
I'm mostly a club DJ and rarely do mobile gigs. It is interesting to see the looks when I walk into the door but the owners know what I bring and appreciate the quality that they see.
DJMark 12:22 PM - 5 March, 2009
Quote:
Lots of good responses but I am a bit disappointed that a Serato Tech person hasn't answered this question one way or another.

We can't seriously expect them to test every new model, on day #1.

From a detailed reading of specs, I would expect the new Mini to perform very similarly to the lower-end aluminum MacBook. The specs for those two machines seem virtually identical.

I would bet the difference in graphics memory between the two current Mini models is just a function of the installed RAM. More RAM, more memory available to the graphics.

Assuming that's true, the lower-end config is clearly a much better value, since with either one you'd want to ditch the installed memory and bring it to 4gb. A 7200-rpm internal drive would be a worthwhile upgrade as well, as long as you have the thing opened to add RAM. Better still, the total of BOTH those upgrades would cost less than the $200 saved by buying the cheaper Mini:

eshop.macsales.com

eshop.macsales.com
VJ Justin Allen 2:51 PM - 5 March, 2009
Mark,

I agree with you 100%. Your information is exactly like mine however the differences are that Serato should know all about this graphics card and how it works because it's in other machines. It uses shared memory, which means the by adding another meg of memory you bump it up to 256 vs the 128 it comes with.

How does their application work with shared memory?
Do they see their graphic demands moving upward in a very short time?

Those are just 2 very simple but important questions that I would expect their tech people to be able to answer, especially since they are the only ones who can. Anyone else who answer is just guessing on those answers.
VJ Justin Allen 6:57 PM - 6 March, 2009
Well others have finally tore down the new mac mini's and here is part of they have found out. They started with the basic Mac Mini (128mb memory, 120gb hard drive, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor).

They have found out that if you add another gig of memory then you get 256mb memory on the graphic card. This is good news because it means that Apple has not capped this out at 128mb

"The technicians found their $599 mini shipped with a single 1GB memory chip, which had 128 MB allocated automatically to the NVIDIA 9400M graphics processor. When they tried installing a second chip in the machine, totaling 2GB, the 9400M automatically doubled the graphics memory to 256 MB."

And Mark, they come with a 7200 rpm drive already installed in it. But my guess is that because of the limited drive space (120gb) you would just hang a firewire 800 drive off of it and use that.

Still no answers about how long Serato thinks the 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor will work for their application. To me this is the big question out thee now.

Faster memory, faster frontside bus, good graphics card all make this a very nice machine.....now we just need to have better answers about the processor requirements.
Bassick 3:48 AM - 7 March, 2009
Yo VJ Justin... The Mini Mac hard drives run at 5400 RPM (All of them). You can't upgrade that drive to 7200 RPM. And if you have to upgrade the RAM to 2GB and get a firewire drive for storage expansion. Why aren't you just getting the $799 model? You'll end up spending that anyway with the upgrades. As for if it will work... I believe t will but why would you want that system. Technology changes so fast and that unit is the minimum specs for VSL. I would never want to trust my gig with the minimum gear! What happens when Serato does updates with more effects, transition and BPM matching effects for video? This might use more resources and this system will be at the bottom. I know money is tight with everyone but the iMac seems to be a better choice if you don't mind carrying things around. You get a 20" (dedicated) monitor, 2.66ghz instead of 2.0, the hard drive runs at 7200 RPM, less to hook up... plus you can get a refurb unit for $849. That's $849 vs. $799 and you get way more for your money plus a higher end computer for future.
VJ Justin Allen 12:26 PM - 7 March, 2009
I completely missed the 5400 rpm drive. I would swear that they said 7200 rpm. Ah, looked it up, I was reading the "after market" upgrade site, and they upped it to 7200 rpm.

You make great points on the refrub units as well. I think my point changed over to was why doesn't Serato tech support bother to answer threads anymore?
DJMark 12:34 PM - 8 March, 2009
Quote:
Why aren't you just getting the $799 model? You'll end up spending that anyway with the upgrades.

As I painstakingly pointed out in my earlier post (links and all):

You'd spend considerably LESS than $200 upgrading the $599 model with a 320-gig 7200rpm drive and 4 gigs of RAM, and have a considerably better configuration than the $799 model after doing that.

Clearly, the $599 model is the better value for anyone not afraid to open the case.
DJBIGWIZ 1:48 PM - 8 March, 2009
I've used a MacMini for regular SSL inn the past. (pre-video) and it ran better than any laptop I've used... mac or pc. Very solid. It's gonna be interesting to see how the new one will handel video.
VJ Justin Allen 2:06 PM - 8 March, 2009
Instructions for upgrading your mac mini

www.ifixit.com
nik39 11:33 PM - 9 March, 2009
Besides of the thread title, which is a bit weird (... an onboard, integrated gfx chip being a "video monster"? No way, at least not in 2009. Onboard video gfx are a whole lot slower than "real" gfx cards)...

Quote:
Still no answers about how long Serato thinks the 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor will work for their application.

Sorry to say, but this question does not make a lot of sense. It would require Serato to know what kind of features they will add in the future, how efficient they will be able to implement them etc.

Serato doesn't even know *when* updates will be available (... which makes sense - it's ready when it's ready).

Anyone with a little bit of IT knowledge should see that there an answer to such a question is less than even vague, and therefor... it makes no sense, IMO.
VJ Justin Allen 12:09 AM - 10 March, 2009
Wow Nik, I see you need to eat your Wheaties again. If Serato does NOT know or have a roadmap in regards to the path that VideoSL is going to take then they are more screwed than I think. All companies have this type of date and using that can make an educated guess as to what the specs will be within the next 6 months.

On the issue of if the onboard graphics vs a graphic card can handle VideoSL, well once again I asked that question to the Serato techs and have yet to receive an answer. They should know how their program can handle things, vs everyone just trying to buy equipment and "seeing" if it works. I personally have no plans to buy a Mac mini, but lots of others out there do have them, or may purchase them.

Nik, please try to leave your personal baggage and inaccurate information at home and let the serato techs answer the questions that are sent to them.
nik39 12:14 AM - 10 March, 2009
Quote:
If Serato does NOT know or have a roadmap in regards to the path that VideoSL is going to take then they are more screwed than I think

That's not what I said. Read again.

Quote:
Nik, please try to leave your personal baggage and inaccurate information at home

Inaccurate info? Which part was inaccurate about what info? What "personal baggage" are you refering to?
DJMark 12:56 AM - 10 March, 2009
Quote:
On the issue of if the onboard graphics vs a graphic card can handle VideoSL, well once again I asked that question to the Serato techs and have yet to receive an answer. They should know how their program can handle things, vs everyone just trying to buy equipment and "seeing" if it works.

Since it's the exact same integrated graphics as the current MacBooks (and MacBook Pro's, if a user of that machine selects it), as well as the same CPU and bus speed as the current low-end MacBook, its a good bet the performance will be very similar.

Macworld published some benchmarks today: www.macworld.com

I don't think the new Mini is ever going to be first choice for Video-SL. It's clear from my own experience that Video-SL is much happier running on a computer with a dedicated GPU.
Bassick 9:11 AM - 10 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Why aren't you just getting the $799 model? You'll end up spending that anyway with the upgrades.

As I painstakingly pointed out in my earlier post (links and all):

You'd spend considerably LESS than $200 upgrading the $599 model with a 320-gig 7200rpm drive and 4 gigs of RAM, and have a considerably better configuration than the $799 model after doing that.

Clearly, the $599 model is the better value for anyone not afraid to open the case.

Yo DJMark... you'll save a few bucks but not without a headache. I'm all about doin' these things myself when it's convenient (tech especially) but it's $153 alone for the items and the slowest ground shipping is $7 more. I don't know if that website charges tax but if it does... that totals to about $173 in Cali. Not to mention you have to order from two places and wait for to different shipments to pull apart and put back together together a brand new Mac Mini. Remembering that you have to reload the OSX which takes a couple hours alone. Just for the few bucks... order it from Apple, open and use in minutes. Full warranty intact! That's just me though.
Good looking out on the research and I'll keep that site in mind.
VJ Justin Allen 10:03 PM - 10 March, 2009
Quote:

I don't think the new Mini is ever going to be first choice for Video-SL. It's clear from my own experience that Video-SL is much happier running on a computer with a dedicated GPU.

And this is why I ask my question to the guys in Serato Tech. The mac mini uses the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 128MB or 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Oh wait, the macbooks ALSO use NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

OH WAIT AGAIN, the iMacs (except for the top of the line iMac) ALSO USE the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

OH SNAP!, now we are really screwed, the macbook pro 15" uses the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; 256MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.4GHz configuration; 512MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.66GHz and 2.93GHz configurations

WOW, shared memory ON EVERY SINGLE APPLE COMPUTER.

Now Serato Tech department can you be bothered to answer the question about the video plug-in and Apple computers?

Or should we all just get the Mac Pros and carry them around?
nik39 9:29 AM - 11 March, 2009
Quote:
WOW, shared memory ON EVERY SINGLE APPLE COMPUTER and I don't understand the difference between an integrated GPU and a discrete GPU

Yeah, some people don't understand the basics.

Do you know what the difference between shared and non-shared memory is? Do you know what a "hybrid" GPU is?

Quote:
Now Serato Tech department can you be bothered to answer the question about the video plug-in and Apple computers?

Just curious, could you clarify the question? I hope it is not "which is faster? A discrete or an integrated GPU?"
VJ Justin Allen 10:59 AM - 11 March, 2009
Nik,

I really do not understand your attitude. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about here, as usual.

How about you just be quiet and the the big boys answer the question.
nik39 11:07 AM - 11 March, 2009
Quote:
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about here, as usual.

Haha. You have proven your technical expertise once again. :)
D-Twizzle 3:29 PM - 11 March, 2009
isn't this why they post minimum system requirements?
DJMark 4:44 PM - 11 March, 2009
Quote:

WOW, shared memory ON EVERY SINGLE APPLE COMPUTER.

Just so you and anyone else reading are clear...

When using the 9600 graphics, the MacBook Pro's are not using shared video RAM. The 9600 GPU has its own dedicated 256 or 512mb. It's only when using the "integrated" 9400 GPU that the main system RAM is used for graphics.

Partly because VSL uses a ton of RAM, and partly because the Mac Mini uses main system RAM for graphics, I'd expect anyone wanting to use the Mini for VSL to max the RAM at 4gb. That's part of the reason I said earlier it would be most cost/performance-effective for users to buy the $599 model and upgrade themselves.
Bassick 11:53 AM - 12 March, 2009
Ahh... DJMark. Now I understand why you mentioned that, With the 2GB upgrade, it didn't make sense. Though, now I see where you're coming from.
Peace!
DjFelixFresh 3:40 AM - 27 May, 2009
Ok, so I was given a mac mini the other day as a gift. First thing I did was load Serato on it. Worked great. Next I dropped VSL on it. Seems to handle all the videos perfect and all the effects without a hitch.

The only issue I have is that I cant figure out how to get the 2nd display to work. I push out to video for tvs.

Anyone try this yet?

Btw this is my first mac. And I freaking love it. I have now put a couple 100 into saving just to get a macbook pro. What the hell was I thinking staying with PC so long? haha
eder 8:52 AM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:
Nik,

I really do not understand your attitude. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about here, as usual.

How about you just be quiet and the the big boys answer the question.

I'm so glad that you are so well-informed about the nature of a hybrid GPU and how there IS dedicated RAM in the new MBP line. Tool.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 11:16 PM - 27 May, 2009
eder, please make your point without resorting to personal insults.
eder 11:18 PM - 27 May, 2009
I'm sorry Chris. It's just when someone runs their mouth and repeatedly insults people who I am close to/have respect for, I'm going to call him out on it. If he'd like to hit the shiny "report" button on me, I'll deal with the consequences then.
VJ Justin Allen 11:51 PM - 27 May, 2009
congratulations ed-tard, you have taken a thread that has sat quietly for 3 months and managed to create crap with it.
eder 11:56 PM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:
congratulations ed-tard, you have taken a thread that has sat quietly for 3 months and managed to create crap with it.

Now ChrisD, do you really think that my comment was unprovoked now? Now I'm being harassed personally and insulted by the one who was misinformed and continues to stand by his misinformation and stubbornness.
VJ Justin Allen 12:00 AM - 28 May, 2009
Your original comment was out of bounds.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 12:18 AM - 28 May, 2009
VJ Justin Allen,

Please stop this nonsense. It's tiring, boring and a complete waste of my time. I warned eder for resorting to personal insults and now I'm warning you: DON'T DO IT.

eder,

I never said your comments were unprovoked. I'm simply asking you (and everyone else) to be nice.

If you guys (or indeed anyone else) have a personal beef or issues with one another then do us all a favor and take it somewhere else.
VJ Justin Allen 12:22 AM - 28 May, 2009
extends hand out...
Niro 2:09 AM - 28 May, 2009
I think you guys should have a dance off, like in 360 dance. That would be the true test of who knows what and what knows who. But there should definitely be some rules thou. No crushes ( I've seen beat street ) that gets the sympathy crowd response and no chairs.

Niros
eder 2:11 AM - 28 May, 2009
extends hand out...

A Dance-Off wouldn't be fair. I'd have to go monk and school him oldschool style.
VJ Justin Allen 10:26 AM - 28 May, 2009
tru dat
DjFelixFresh 10:05 PM - 29 May, 2009
You guys are crazy. Anyway, just an update. I got the mac mini to push out to video for the club I spin at. Its a strip club and I have been wanting to get away from VDJ for a while now. I am using it as a perm computer for me to always have there. I just needed to purchase a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter and I picked up this PC to TV for $39 at Frys. Worked like a charm. I am still saving for a MacBook Pro. Thanks to everyone for the PMs helping me out.
DjFelixFresh 10:07 PM - 29 May, 2009
Oh and all effects are working and the videos look great. Ill take some pics this weekend and post em up. We have 10 screens a projector oh and one lil one in the bathroom haha. All look great.