DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Using a subwoofer...

R-Tistic 6:35 AM - 25 February, 2009
I have had my JBL Eon 518S since December, and it sounds pretty good at everything I do...but I just have the output from the mixer going straight into it, with no crossover or anything. I am thinking of buying whatever I'll need to get the most out of it, but I wanted to know how much of a difference it will make if I do it like that. It seems like when I turn the volume on the sub all the way up, which I shouldn't really have to, it sounds good, but as if it could be louder...and it gets nowhere near peak level, so I think it can use something else.
DJMark 7:08 AM - 25 February, 2009
I'm pretty sure that sub has a built-in crossover, so going straight from your mixer to it (and connecting whatever main speakers you have to the high-pass outputs) would be a normal configuration.

Maybe the output level from your mixer is a bit low?
DJ_Gadabout 7:12 AM - 25 February, 2009
no amp?
dj_KaSE 9:19 AM - 25 February, 2009
Without checking it out in person (which I wouldn't mind doing since you're in LA), I think that the sub's built-in crossover is probably why it's not sounding the way you want it to.

I have a JBL passive sub (SRX718S) run through a QSC amp fed by a signal from the dbx crossover of 36Hz - 80 Hz so that it handles the really low end, while feeding a signal of 90 Hz and up to the tops. This configuration gives the sub slightly more headroom to handle the deep bass. Your sub, on the other hand, cuts off at a higher frequency, 120 Hz.
R-Tistic 4:35 PM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that sub has a built-in crossover, so going straight from your mixer to it (and connecting whatever main speakers you have to the high-pass outputs) would be a normal configuration.

Maybe the output level from your mixer is a bit low?

Well yeah...I realize it must have a built-in crossover, just because it does do a good job of playing low frequencies and nothing else. I just feel like it could be a bit louder...and the way it is now, if I turn the lows up on the mixer, they'll affect the regular speakers as well...so I just can't be selective with how I EQ the whole system.
R-Tistic 4:36 PM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:
no amp?

I forgot to mention..it's powered, so no need for the amp.
R-Tistic 4:38 PM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:
Without checking it out in person (which I wouldn't mind doing since you're in LA), I think that the sub's built-in crossover is probably why it's not sounding the way you want it to.

I have a JBL passive sub (SRX718S) run through a QSC amp fed by a signal from the dbx crossover of 36Hz - 80 Hz so that it handles the really low end, while feeding a signal of 90 Hz and up to the tops. This configuration gives the sub slightly more headroom to handle the deep bass. Your sub, on the other hand, cuts off at a higher frequency, 120 Hz.

It seems as if the built in crossover does a good job of just catching the Lows...it's not the sound itself I have a problem with, but just the volume of it and that I can't isolate it and really turn it up any louder without affecting the other speakers' volume, since I'll usually have the volume on there all the way up.
agentorange 5:52 PM - 25 February, 2009
yeah. this is def. a crossover situation. you might want to make the investment to optimize your system.

eon = selfpowered.

anyways, do u have a limiter? i'm wondering how to setup a limiter to self-powereds? sorry for threadjacking R, but this is my only opportunity. haha good looks.

im about to cop mackie 18" subs self powered for a concert series and am just wondering how to limit it's sounds if it's internally powered. help would be appreciated.
R-Tistic 6:07 PM - 25 February, 2009
Yeah...what exactly would I need, as far as the number of pieces?

I'm not familiar with limiters...but since you're talkin about it, I might be interested in that as well.
agentorange 6:26 PM - 25 February, 2009
prevents speakers from blowing. it sets a prearranged 'limit' and no matter how high an idiot dj tries to put his levels up, he can't surpass the limit placed. its big for me, cause im getting into rock concerts and i don't bands blowing up my equip.

one crossover should suffice though.

peace my man.
n:deuce 6:35 PM - 25 February, 2009
something that needs to be discussed that will make the largest difference is room acoustics. where is the sub being placed? in a corner or against a wall will significantly increase the volume that you are seeking without turning up the power on the amp. it doesnt matter how much or expensive the equipment is, if you dont deal with room acoustics you'll never get the sound you are looking for. there are plenty of resources on the internet discussing this...good luck!
agentorange 6:39 PM - 25 February, 2009
^ +1
DJ_Gadabout 6:39 PM - 25 February, 2009
^ +2
dj_KaSE 6:43 PM - 25 February, 2009
Room acousting is such a huge factor. Another thing I can think of is that your two tops may be overpowering the sub. Or, you can try maxing out the gain on the sub and lowering the gains on the tops so that the volumes are matched better.

I can definitely tell you that when I have my volume up really loud, the limiter for the sub kicks in before the limiters for the tops do, making it sound like the tops are overpowering the sub. I think the solution would be to just get another sub.
agentorange 6:46 PM - 25 February, 2009
u can't control limites of the tops and bottom through the crossover??
dj_KaSE 6:50 PM - 25 February, 2009
Yeah, but I use the presets specifically for the model speakers I have and the system behaves accordingly.
agentorange 6:56 PM - 25 February, 2009
true. what kind of subs you got. evidently your tops overpower ur subs anyway. im curious though, what would be a good purchase for subs/self-powered?
dj_KaSE 6:59 PM - 25 February, 2009
I use two Eon G2s (15") and one JBL srx718s powered by a QSC 1802 and dbx driverack pa. The dbx has presets for the Eons and the srx sub and have the gains on the amp in sync with the limiter.
Jader 8:52 PM - 25 February, 2009
arent there eqs on those eons? turn the bass down on those perhaps?
dj_KaSE 9:12 PM - 25 February, 2009
Yep, there are. I think I need another sub.
R-Tistic 10:40 PM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:
prevents speakers from blowing. it sets a prearranged 'limit' and no matter how high an idiot dj tries to put his levels up, he can't surpass the limit placed. its big for me, cause im getting into rock concerts and i don't bands blowing up my equip.

one crossover should suffice though.

peace my man.

Ahh...just like a compressor for mics then...I could have definitely used that Friday when they blew out my cabinets because they had the mic too high. Do they make crossovers that have a limiter built in?
dj_KaSE 11:01 PM - 25 February, 2009
The dbx driverack pa has a limiter, two types of EQs, compressor, feedback eliminator. U can ebay one for around 400. I'm sure it has the presets for your JRXs too.
Julls 11:18 PM - 25 February, 2009
If I remember correctly, is that a front loaded sub?

Big up on room acousting. If done correctly, you will notice it.
R-Tistic 11:52 PM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:
something that needs to be discussed that will make the largest difference is room acoustics. where is the sub being placed? in a corner or against a wall will significantly increase the volume that you are seeking without turning up the power on the amp. it doesnt matter how much or expensive the equipment is, if you dont deal with room acoustics you'll never get the sound you are looking for. there are plenty of resources on the internet discussing this...good luck!

Yeah, I have definitely noticed that. I know it's bad sometimes depending on how the place is made...it's always against the wall or at least under my table, depending on if it's outside or inside. I realized a major difference when this dude brought in a diff sub and put it where I had mine the week before in this small Hollywood blvd spot, and I was like damm his hits WAAAY harder...but his was definitely bigger (and heavier).
Kadilac 12:17 AM - 26 February, 2009
The lightweight cabinet may be an issue, it's design is portability first, performance second. The design and type (thickness) of wood (heh heh) used on the cab would produce different sound. I know guys who will never use any of the new "plastic" speakers because of this.
djbigboy 1:33 AM - 26 February, 2009
I have same problem with my powered jbls too, I think part of the problem is that i turned the gain real low (master gain) and i am not getting full volume.

When you have it out full volume, is it ok? I just deal with it, I put it up at 3/4 volume until later in the evening, I just try not to push it.

It certainly adds a lot compared to just straight Eon tops...
dJ bMaN 9:30 AM - 27 February, 2009
The lower end model of the dbx driverack cost 399. When I had my powered mackie system (2 450's and 2 1501's) I used a eq, and a compressor on it. A little bit of an overkill for a system like that but I wanted to tweak it to sound just right. You really don't need a crossover. If you were to get a compressor you could turn up the output gain to make the sub louder but at the same time, you don't want to send a distorted signal into the sub. Another piece of advice, invest in another sub or something louder than the EON.
dj_KaSE 10:15 AM - 27 February, 2009
R-Tistic, sometimes the bass is jacked up when the speakers are not aligned. With the dbx driverack pa, you can adjust the alignment settings.
djchrischip 12:18 AM - 3 March, 2009
i have two mrx 18" subs with an xti 2000 than i am way no satisfied with not enough bass to cover my 450 watt yville tops.
n:deuce 1:32 AM - 3 March, 2009
if using 2 subs watch the phasing. if placed in the wrong place you could be canceling out certain frequencies...dunno.