DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

In need of new desk or table for turntables

DJ NoNseNse 12:11 AM - 25 February, 2009
I currently use one those fold up tables u get at target and its too low and I barely have room for my monitors. The height is around my mid thigh and Im not very tall at all (5'8). Can anyone recommend something better. Most of the desk and tables I seen are too low. Ive seen some on some dj sites but those are way too expensive. Something that could fit into a closet would be ideal.
DJ C.A.P 12:41 AM - 25 February, 2009
I just use the top of my dresser... do you got a dresser?
DJ NoNseNse 12:42 AM - 25 February, 2009
nope
latindj 12:46 AM - 25 February, 2009
Dude, if you're stuffing yourself into a closet why not just put up a shelf??? Go to Home Depot, buy some wood and screws and bring Sixxx home with you to install it. :)
djrayray0981 12:54 AM - 25 February, 2009
LOL!!!! Your a fool latindj
Turn Table Tennis 2:51 AM - 25 February, 2009
i went to ikea. they have some really nice and simple desks for a good price. and you cant beat adjustable height legs.
sacrilicious 3:22 AM - 25 February, 2009
I play on a gorgeous metal/glass/wood table I got to take home from work. Perfect height and super sturdy (no wobble). But, before that, the dresser was king. I even had my dresser out in the living room for house parties, ha
Dj-Bedtime 5:48 AM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:
i went to ikea. they have some really nice and simple desks for a good price. and you cant beat adjustable height legs.

Hells yeah--not sure where you're located but IKEA is the shit!! I bought a perfect size table with saw horse legs--and I love it. Perfect height.
DJ NoNseNse 7:28 AM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:

whats the highest height?
Jay Sol 9:26 AM - 25 February, 2009
fuck IKEA!!!

but only because they don't have one in hawaii!

lol
Halfrikan 4:06 PM - 25 February, 2009
Why not just buy cases and stack them old school style.. I still rock the mixer bridged between 2 turntables and then depending on the height of the table i am playing on, i will use the tops to stack or not use them. If you do this you also get a travel case for them in case you do need to take them somewhere.
Turn Table Tennis 9:37 PM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

whats the highest height?

They have different legs with different heights, but the legs i have bring the table up to almost 3 feet.
DjWoody 9:57 PM - 25 February, 2009
Ikea furniture breaks QUICK but it can be affordable. :(
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:59 PM - 25 February, 2009
Dude just put the table legs ontop of some cinderblocks, thats what i do just stack 2 up with the top hole facing up and put the table leg in there (no misquote) then if you need it higher stack your flight cases
Dj-Bedtime 10:07 PM - 25 February, 2009
Quote:
Dude just put the table legs ontop of some cinderblocks, thats what i do just stack 2 up with the top hole facing up and put the table leg in there (no misquote) then if you need it higher stack your flight cases

I did the cinderblock thing years ago. I still remember moving day from my apt and lugging about 30 of those 40lb blocks to the trash bin...one by fucking one!

lol
DJ Strike It Up 7:44 AM - 26 February, 2009
Quote:

yea, IKEA furniture isnt that stable....i was fucking around with my neighbor last summer and i busted her bed that she bought at IKEA one night as I was putting in some "work"

LOL - true story!
Maskrider 8:28 AM - 26 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

yea, IKEA furniture isnt that stable....i was fucking around with my neighbor last summer and i busted her bed that she bought at IKEA one night as I was putting in some "work"

LOL - true story!

Now I know not to be fucking around with IKEA. :)
MikeNicco 2:05 PM - 26 February, 2009
I use half a Gorillarack that I bought at Costco. Its the perfect height and very sturdy.

www.gorillarack.com

Ill post a pick of my setup when I get home from work.
Turn Table Tennis 6:16 PM - 26 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL - true story!

Now I know not to be fucking around with IKEA. :)

that depends on how much you're willing to spend on a desk. you get what you pay for guys. i spent 250 on my desk, it looks and feels like it was crafted with quality. made out of solid wood, and it's extremely sturdy. i normally wouldn't say any of this, but i know you guys so (no homo, no misquote)
AlexRage 6:27 PM - 26 February, 2009
i use a cross stand and a dj coffin...height is adjustable...and moves with ease.
latindj 6:49 PM - 26 February, 2009
+1

and only like 30 bucks...
AlexRage 8:15 PM - 26 February, 2009
Quote:
I wouldn't trust something that's made for a keyboard. Those cross stands aren't sturdy at all.

most have a weight rating on them...i can do dips on mine, it IS sturdy. I'll try to find the product...but I bought it at guitar center.
AlexRage 8:17 PM - 26 February, 2009
AlexRage 8:17 PM - 26 February, 2009
wait, disregard that one, mine has double beams.
KIZ-ONE 8:18 PM - 26 February, 2009
i use a work bench and just sawed off the end legs and made them even.
Here is my set up.(old pics, but still using the workbench)
i83.photobucket.com
i83.photobucket.com
i83.photobucket.com
i83.photobucket.com
kalibhakta 8:39 PM - 26 February, 2009
I am really buggin' now about how shaky my table is. I cannot learn how to scratch with this thing at all!

I bought a bunch of studs from Lowes and my boy (I suck at building!) is going to be stopping by and we are going to make a table.

I don;t care about looks and actually don't mind if it looks like wood braced together. Regardless, I will have a sturdy, solid table for under 15$

Totally worth it when you consider that every aspect is custom so it will match my height. Also, when I move out of this place breaking it down and trashing the thing won't bring any tears to my eye.
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:57 PM - 26 February, 2009
www.lowes.com

I use one of these, just the 4 ft one . My TTs and mixer are in my oddessy coffin on top.

At first I was thinking it was going to be too low, but I ended up really liking the height. I am not much of a scratcher but I am teaching myself and at first the table seemed very wobbly. Not that it would ever fall or collapse, but just the fact that it would wobble a little while scratching. I think that it has actually helped me get a steadier hand because now when I scratch the table hardly moves. I think it helped.
latindj 9:12 PM - 26 February, 2009
Quote:
I wouldn't trust something that's made for a keyboard. Those cross stands aren't sturdy at all.

actually dub it works pretty well for me and fits nicely in my car (no truck)
spinja 9:27 PM - 26 February, 2009
joestrike 9:02 AM - 28 June, 2010
im thinking of using an ironing board? haha
djbanno 12:11 PM - 28 June, 2010
Quote:

Won't the misses be in the way?
joestrike 4:17 PM - 29 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Won't the misses be in the way?

haha yeah i would never use an ironing board, nowhere near stable enough...
kalibhakta 6:32 PM - 29 June, 2010
Anyone try the Expedit? It was recommended to me before, but I've never seen anyone using them.