Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Screen resolution

Brandon Fisher (BLF DJ Supply) 6:23 AM - 6 November, 2004
My main issue with Scratch Live is the screen resolution. I really need to be able to use 800x600 resoltion because I am legally blind but the software only will let me use 1024x768. Can that option be put in for those of us who CSS (Can't see squat) LOL :-)

Thanks
Brandon Fisher
BLF Productions & BLF DJ Supply
Revolutionary 8:43 AM - 6 November, 2004
Hmm. Can't you use one of them screen magnifiers? Could work...
DJ 3pm 4:50 PM - 6 November, 2004
I don't know of any application that will do this for PC, but check out one of the features in Mac OS X: www.scratchlive.net

Would that help? (it's still the same screen resolution, but I know some vision impaired people have better luck with the screen inverted)
SpinThis! 3:09 AM - 7 November, 2004
mac os x also has a feature to zoom in (enlarge) parts of the screen. press cmd-opt-8 in the finder to turn it on the cmd-option-+ or - to zoom in and out.
DJ 3pm 6:21 AM - 7 November, 2004
spin- i think brandon is using a pc
Revolutionary 7:14 AM - 7 November, 2004
You there, Brandon? I found this thru google.com www.abf-soft.com. Will this help you?
beezwax 11:01 PM - 13 February, 2006
i need to use a 1024x600 resolution because i'm using a flybook and that is the size of the screen - is there any chance of a fix or an update to allow me to do this?
Samuel 11:09 AM - 14 February, 2006
I'm using windows and I wish I could change the resolution. It's a good option to include
AKIEM 9:13 PM - 19 February, 2006
1024 x 768
vidoona 7:21 AM - 4 April, 2006
I'm actually at the other end of the spectrum. I have a inspiron 6000 with a native resolution of 1900x1200 and I have to change it down to at least 1200x768 to see the GUI on ssl.....support for all sorts of resolutions, regardless of your problem would be fantastic as constantly changing my resolution messes up my desktop configuration.
nik39 8:59 AM - 4 April, 2006
Hm... I have the same resolution and it works fine here. :(
vidoona 9:44 AM - 4 April, 2006
I get a bunch of space for my song list and have two very very tiny circles with a tiny wave display in between. Any suggestions?
nik39 9:49 AM - 4 April, 2006
Sorry, I dont understand your problem. Please say again, and speak slowly, I am a bit retarded and english is not my native language :)
You mean you cant see the SSL circles?
vidoona 9:55 AM - 4 April, 2006
Ok ok, when reading back, that post did look like it was written by a retarded geometry student......let's try again.

When in 1900x1200 resolution, all of the GUI features are visible but due to the high pixel density of the screen, they are very small and unusable unless you get really close to the screen. Then there is a lot of blank space in between these small GUI features.

In simple terms.....nothing zooms to a usable size to compensate for the high resolution to I must lower my screen resolution so that things are bigger.
nik39 9:59 AM - 4 April, 2006
Gotcha.

What you want is a user customizable GUI, where you can adjust the sizes.

The problem in this thread is that SSL does not work at all with lower screen resolutions.

BTW, if you tick on horizontal views in the setup screen and maximise the cached audio buffer size, you can effectively use the horizontal space. But that doesnt make reading the screen and letters easier, I do have the 17" from Dell with the same resolution and its hard to read already, must be horrible on a 15" screen.
vidoona 10:06 AM - 4 April, 2006
Yeah, horizontal space usage isn't a problem.

I'm a huge stickler for efficient monitor usage (as it is, my desktop actually has a monitor turned sideways for portrait viewing), thus why I bought a laptop with that screen, but constantly changing it for Ableton, SSL, and a bunch of other programs is getting really annoying. It messes with my icon placement and window placement (where the F is my winamp playlist window?)....guess I'll just have to deal until this gets fixed.
LaJollaDJs 11:43 PM - 4 April, 2006
In regards to Brandon's original problem, it appears that the best solution would be to use the min. supported resolution for serato on a larger monitor (either a larger laptop or use a 19" external monitor). Even if Serato did implement 800x600 support, it would probably look terrible and have little room for the library.
TJBentley 1:33 AM - 26 August, 2006
Please make the font size of SSL (especially for the library) adjustable so that we can make it larger... I'm getting headaches from squinting while looking at the library.
ekalb 3:53 AM - 27 August, 2006
Quote:
Please make the font size of SSL (especially for the library) adjustable so that we can make it larger... I'm getting headaches from squinting while looking at the library.
also be able to change the color PLEASE!?
DJ Tut-Anch 2:58 PM - 5 September, 2006
Yeah, we need to be able to change the fontsize
bij 10:38 AM - 21 November, 2006
please!!
font+colour
Daim 12:29 PM - 25 November, 2006
yeah and i want to change the size of the beatmatching display to 1 pixel......
tim 9:16 PM - 26 November, 2006
Some way of auto adjust the screen layout for the resolution definately seems the answer.

i have a widescreen monitor that uses 1680x1050 and even with horizontal waveforms the way the screen is shared out for different parts of the gui is pretty lame, check it :

www.forestleisurecycling.co.uk

its like two thirds for track browsing and the rest for more useful stuff..

do you know on itunes 7 if you have the mode where it shows your tracks in a list and then above has all of the covers?
if you drag the bar dividing the covers and tracks down, it automatically resizes the covers above to fill the increased/decreased space.
Something like that would be nice.
Toby82 9:33 AM - 28 November, 2006
@tim: If you make the audio-buffer bigger, you get much bigger horizontal waveforms.
tim 10:41 PM - 30 November, 2006
ahh, look at that.

cheers my man, i've only just installed it on my widescreen desktop recently, usually have it on my lappy.. since it was a new install i hadn't messed around on the options.

thats cool thanks..
Toby82 11:44 PM - 30 November, 2006
you're welcome ;-)
CMOS 4:12 AM - 22 February, 2007
What about those of us that like the vertical waves?
djromma 5:14 PM - 9 September, 2008
+1
hi Serato, is it possible to make support for lower then 1024*768 resolutions? I mean 1024*600. I'm talking 'bout those sub notebooks like aser apire one with screen resolution 1024*600. What can be the issue for this kind of hardware?

Thanks in advance.
bitwise 3:56 PM - 11 September, 2008
1024 * 600 screen resolution support please!!

There are many new ultra portable laptops out (and coming out), and they have plenty of horsepower just not enough resolution for the GUI.
DJ Manila Ice 9:30 PM - 16 September, 2008
I got it working.

Here's a link to a writeup I did to get it working.

www.gigacrate.com
Charlie 12:27 PM - 21 September, 2008
a 1024x600 resolution option for serato would be really outstanding
dj_krypt 1:37 PM - 22 September, 2008
+1

I started a new thread on this issue before reading this one...opps.

One way I have found to get around this issue with out having to scroll vertically around the screen is to install OSX.......ahhhh OSX comes to the rescue again. For some reason the Mac version doesnt complain no matter what res mode you are running.

However native Windows support would still be beneficial.

Perhaps we could have 2 screen modes. One for standard sized screens and another for these netbook thingies to better use the small screen more efficiently.
DJ Graffix 10:03 PM - 22 September, 2008
The fix that Manila Ice gives does allow Serato to work, even though you have to scroll... It works. Hopefully just a temporary fix until a new version of Scratch Live comes out allowing at least 1024x600 resolution to work! Thanks in advance guys, these netbooks are awesome, and save a lot of space on the table while mixing!
djae_han 10:25 AM - 15 January, 2009
bump for 1024x600 support!
i just got myself a msi wind and i cant run serato unless its at 1024x768 which means i need to scroll down to see the bottom of the screen (resolution that is)
Fyre182 5:05 AM - 31 January, 2009
BUMP AGAIN FOR 1024 X 600 SUPPORT

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! PLEASE! QUick fix and will make many new netbook owners happy (seeing as how its a super hot commodity)
JJ FUNK 12:24 AM - 27 February, 2009
I'm using Serato with a Samsung NC10 netbook, it runs great! I would also like to see the standard netbook resolution of 1024x600 to be supported. It seems that the Sammy and Serato are a perfect match, no problems what so ever, except for the resolution annoyance.

Thanks
dj-rix 6:04 PM - 27 February, 2009
1024x600 pleaseee!!!
Apotheist 6:48 PM - 1 March, 2009
1024x600 would be really nice for my netbook as well. for me the best solution. only the compressed 1024x768 resolution (which the eeepc simulates and i have to use all the time) is quite annoying.
Mr Brown 11:01 PM - 2 April, 2009
+1 The netbooks that are on the market now are ideal for Serato ... except most of them have a screen resolution of 1024 x 600. I'm running Serato on a MSI Wind, using a work around. It would be nice if it just ran on Windows (like on OS X).
El CAne 10:57 AM - 3 April, 2009
maybe it's a way to make the whole GUI scalable or select an own resolution SSL via the setup. I'm using a VAIO whith an 16.4'' Display. Sony only gives me 3 resolutions 800x600, 1024x768, 1920x1080. On 1024x768 the GUI will be compressed to 1024x600 cause 16:9 and on 1920x1080 the Decks and Waveform Displays are a little to small.
El CAne 10:59 AM - 3 April, 2009
I mean:"...own resolution for SSL via..." :)
audiotherapy 5:07 PM - 3 May, 2009
and in 1.9. no 1024 x 600 again, please make it for the next version possible!

PLEASE
DJ Johnny Braciole 7:29 PM - 5 May, 2009
i just started a discussion on the 1024 X 600 resolution for the netbooks to work properly with serato. i think this change should be made in the next update. i can see many of us are anxious. having a netbook is a great backup for a dj job.
Crickett 9:02 PM - 24 August, 2009
Bump for 1024x600 Please...
Crickett 9:10 PM - 24 August, 2009
The samsung N120 comes with a included samsung app that converts all programs running on the desktop to display @ 1024 x 768. So no need for scrolling around and fiddling. It does squish the UI a little vertically. But it works like a champ.

So if your looking for a great machine to run SSL... This one after you upgrade the Ram to 2 GB rocks!!
JoshA 4:40 AM - 1 October, 2009
I would also like to put in my support to be able to resize the various GUI elements. I just bought a Macbook Pro 17 with 1900x1200 resolution. A big reason I got it was for SSL. Turn out all I really get is a huge file browser window. I'd really like the option to expand my waveform and make other adjustments to the layout.
Drapol1 6:18 AM - 1 October, 2009
1.9.2 No Netbook Support??:((
Rob - Low 4:58 AM - 21 February, 2010
Guys, how do u get it to work on the Samsung NC10? Ive been trying to load the link but its not working. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Crickett 8:30 PM - 21 February, 2010
Look for the Samsung easy resolution tool.. Should be on the desktop.. Set it to 768.. The screen looks a little mashed.. But it works just fine.
serkan 11:10 PM - 21 February, 2010
Asus Eee PC 1000H has this too. Don't know about other models with 1024x600 screen.
Check: www.youtube.com (my old youtube account)
Prosume 12:00 AM - 20 March, 2010
+1 for 1024x600 ... hoping to see UI customization allow for it in the future.
DJ Johnny Braciole 3:19 PM - 21 March, 2010
yeah not gunna hapen for a while i gave up hope.........
Apotheist 4:37 PM - 9 May, 2010
one year passed, still no netbook support :(
antFastic 4:35 PM - 1 June, 2010
Netbooks seem to be pretty well established now and I have been running SSL for the last 8 months on one flawlessly, for it's sheer portability and small size and cheap price it is a winner. I only wish I didn't have to keep scrolling down to see the bottom of the library and it doesn't seem like it needs to be this way, can easily chop off that 100px and make it 1024x600 minimum instead?

gwaaan Serato, do us a favour :-)
pueblofunky 9:08 PM - 30 September, 2010
+1
DJMark 6:02 AM - 3 October, 2010
Until/unless Serato supports 600-pixel-high screen resolutions, there is a fairly easy way to make a 1024x768 resolution fit into a 1024x600 screen, and therefore allow SSL to run. The one disadvantage is that the aspect ratio will be "squished" horizontally, among other things making the SSL circles look oval. But things are still perfectly readable, at least on the Acer Aspire One 532h that I tried this on.

run regedit;

search for "Display1_DownScalingSupported";

change the value from "0" to "1";

reboot;

you'll now have 1024x768 and 1152x864 available in the display settings.

Extra note: I found performance of this computer marginal at best for SSL 2.1.1 when connected to a 68 mixer, even with all the plugins switched off. It's certainly not anything I'd want to depend on for DJ gigs. Oddly, switching on the plugins seemed to make little difference, though trying to use the reverb software effects caused playback to get distorted and very slow.
djsparky 4:30 PM - 28 October, 2010
For the original poster, why don't you just buy a 24" or larger monitor and do a dual display? It should make things big enough to read and you would have the added benefit of having a huge screen to hide behind when annoying drunk people try to talk to you.
allenbina 8:11 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Until/unless Serato supports 600-pixel-high screen resolutions, there is a fairly easy way to make a 1024x768 resolution fit into a 1024x600 screen, and therefore allow SSL to run. The one disadvantage is that the aspect ratio will be "squished" horizontally, among other things making the SSL circles look oval. But things are still perfectly readable, at least on the Acer Aspire One 532h that I tried this on.

run regedit;

worked perfectly, thanks

reboot;

Extra note: I found performance of this computer marginal at best for SSL 2.1.1 when connected to a 68 mixer, even with all the plugins switched off. It's certainly not anything I'd want to depend on for DJ gigs. Oddly, switching on the plugins seemed to make little difference, though trying to use the reverb software effects caused playback to get distorted and very slow.
antFastic 12:35 AM - 12 February, 2011
Stripping out all the unwanted services and running Serato in shell mode on boot up, performance is spotless for me. Netbooks are getting ever more powerful, are an attractive option for many and are increasing in popularity. And they are just so handy for the tiny amount of space they take up.

I am still using the same netbook without an issue, almost 2 years now, it would be cool to get this new standard supported. After all this time am I alone in wanting this still?

Options options.. plugins are awesome, it means I can disable stuff that I will never use to keep things simple and that is just it, Simplicity / Stability / Intuitive are the reasons I chose Serato. It's cool that you are developing to keep a step ahead of the competition, but it's also cool to continue to provide Simplicity for those that don't want or need the extras.

If Bridge is the plugin taking up all the space, then perhaps disabling it can enable 600px support on restart for netbooks, for a short term fix, I think would make 99% of netbook users happy?
DJMark 2:30 AM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
Stripping out all the unwanted services and running Serato in shell mode on boot up, performance is spotless for me.

I would guess that if I had bothered to get Windows XP working on the Acer netbook, it would have probably worked much better. Is that what you're using?
antFastic 11:48 PM - 15 February, 2011
Samsung N310 with XP it's a nice little machine and the keys are spaced apart, which I like. The reverb effect doesn't work properly on it though, that's not something which bothers me. Also I found that using a squashed display seems to harm the performance a little, not sure why, so I stick with the scrolling.
Drapol1 4:46 PM - 20 February, 2011
Using 1024x768 stretched on any slower netbook causes performance issues. I tired 1024x768 on nc10 and xp and performance wasn't too good. I'm talking about waveforms going 2-5 frames per seconds which is not a big problem but still bothers me. I installed Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and I have to say it's rock solid. Everytime when I was minimizing SL and coping files or browsing I had audio glitches.In osx no glitches no single crash. I want to test asus 1215N with video SL - it has good graphics so it should work. The only thing I miss in macs is that there is no 10-11 inch version of notebook which has good specs. Tenner seems to be perfect size for me (exactly same width as my 57).Waiting for serato dedicated laptop (maybe rane will make one one day :)
DJ metaphor 1:07 AM - 5 March, 2011
I hacked the screen res on my Acer one netbook this afternoon and installed 1.9.2 on it. runs perfect at 10MS latency with none of my files analyzed.... the only reason i even bothered doing this was because my main laptops charger broke :( and IM HAVING DJ withdrawls!
DJ_WIZ 6:40 AM - 7 March, 2011
Unchecking the box to display higher resolutions and the registry workaround didn't work for my HP Mini 2140. Is the next update of SSL going to have this fixed?. Many DJ's are moving to smaller laptops to compensate space and luggyness of gear. Plus the mini laptops are a good talking point for chicks who come up and check them out lol...
DJ metaphor 10:18 AM - 7 March, 2011
Quote:
Unchecking the box to display higher resolutions and the registry workaround didn't work for my HP Mini 2140.

Are you talking about enabling downscaling? or something else?
DJ_WIZ 2:19 AM - 21 August, 2011
Anyone find a solution to run ssl on a mini 2140 laptop yet?
DJ_WIZ 2:32 AM - 21 August, 2011
Don't worry the following worked for me, thanks for that!!

Quote:
Quote:

run regedit;

worked perfectly, thanks

reboot;