Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Anyone Using SDJ at gigs?

djarchi 5:43 PM - 1 May, 2014
Hey guys,

Is anyone ACTUALLY using SDJ out at gigs?? I'm still using SSL and somewhat weary to make the jump because of all the issues/bad stories I've been seeing on the board. And I can't afford to be playing out on buggy software. So i was just wondering who's made the switch and has played MULTIPLE gigs with it. Specifically anyone that uses a 62 and turntables. I know eventually we will all be forced to make the switch due to lack of SSL support but I'm old and stuck in my ways. Any feedback is appreciated.
Logisticalstyles 5:46 PM - 1 May, 2014
Not me. It's too unstable for me. I've had crashes, audio drop outs sometimes functions don't work and now I'm delaing with a crossfader issue.

I'm sticking with Scratch Live for now.
Marine 5:50 PM - 1 May, 2014
I tried it three times and it worked for about two hours then crashed out of nowhere. I have a high end MacBook Pro i7 with a dedicated graphics card using mountain lion. It was very embarrassing the reason I used it was because I purchased a djm 900 srt now I have to use a sl3 box with my 900 srt just to be able to use the old scratch live which is rock solid. If I were you I would try it out for 5 hours at home and see if you have any problems before using out.
Dj Youkai 6:00 PM - 1 May, 2014
I've been using Seratodj with serato video ever since the DDJ-SX came out, have done Weddings, Baptismals, First Birthdays, 18th Birthdays (Debut), Fundraising Events, Retail Stores Events, etc. I also Video DJed at this sports bar every Friday/Saturday nights using Seratodj and Serato Video, not once it crashed on me (*knock on wood) so far, so it's pretty stable on my end, Running on MacBook Pro Retina.
Tommy Deem 6:15 PM - 1 May, 2014
I thinki it dosent matter where u play to make the software reliable?? ;) this isn't cv u know.
But back to the point, I've been using Sdj allmost 6months and no issues since I made workaround to make software run good on win8.
djarchi 6:38 PM - 1 May, 2014
Tommy i just meant like playing an extended amount of time, like an entire gig. That's all. But thanks for the input. I really wish they would have gotten the bugs out prior to release. Granted the first iterations of SSL weren't perfect by any means but i don't remember it being as faulty as SDJ. Granted I got SSL in 2006 but I was playing out with it with no crashes pretty much from the start.
Dj Youkai 6:40 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
I thinki it dosent matter where u play to make the software reliable?? ;) this isn't cv u know.
But back to the point, I've been using Sdj allmost 6months and no issues since I made workaround to make software run good on win8.
So sorry, if I read it correctly the Topic does say "Anyone Using SDJ at gigs?"
So I did include my "gigs" in my reply, so yeah I'm pretty much On Point here.
Tommy Deem 6:44 PM - 1 May, 2014
Yup, and i think if someone says I use it on my gigs is enough, cauze it dosen't matter where u play, it dosen't chance the fact how the software works?? am i right?? And djarchi, yes i use it on my gigs, have been using it 6months and I play 2-4 gigs in a week. It works with no flaws.
Dj Youkai 6:49 PM - 1 May, 2014
Fair enough, my apologies here, I guess I proved my gig points a little overboard :-/
Lozilla 6:50 PM - 1 May, 2014
I've been using SDJ for mobile gigs with an NS6 or DDJ SX. No crash issues with my Macbook Pro i5. Only issue I ever had was with a change in the looping function that was corrected in 1.6.2. Longest extended period 4hrs straight....no issues.
Logisticalstyles 6:57 PM - 1 May, 2014
I think the type of gig does matter. Some gigs don't require you to use the hardware and software at the same level or intensity. Playing at a Wedding Ceremony is much less intensive than playing at a club all night. Some gigs are shorter than others. Some gigs require the music to play non stop, others have big gaps in between playtime. A shorter gig may not give ample time for the glitches to show up.
Dj Youkai 7:00 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
I think the type of gig does matter. Some gigs don't require you to use the hardware and software at the same level or intensity. Playing at a Wedding Ceremony is much less intensive than playing at a club all night. Some gigs are shorter than others. Some gigs require the music to play non stop, others have big gaps in between playtime. A shorter gig may not give ample time for the glitches to show up.

+1
Tommy Deem 7:02 PM - 1 May, 2014
It's easy on my scale, it's 6 or 8h plays and no problems at all. And I play with intense.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:10 PM - 1 May, 2014
I've been doing it since 1.6 Beta and Rane 62..... Mainly because any attempt at me trying to revert my firmware back to the original on my Rane 62 has caused problems.....

To me I trust 1.6.2 enough for all my large gigs
Lozilla 7:14 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
I've been doing it since 1.6 Beta and Rane 62..... Mainly because any attempt at me trying to revert my firmware back to the original on my Rane 62 has caused problems.....

1.6.2 addressed a lot of bugs. My suggestion is update and go hard at home for a few days to see if it's stable for you. There are a lot of people coming from SSL that are having a hell of a time with the previous version.
djarchi 8:05 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:

That's my biggest fear the whole firmware thing. If i do make the jump apparently the new firmware doesn't work with SSL. Does anyone know why this is? I saw the sticky that CAUTIONED against using SSL with the new firmware, but they don't really go into details as to WHY the caution. Seems very weird and kind of hush hush, but obviously serious enough for them to post it.
DJ Aaron_SA 8:25 PM - 1 May, 2014
Using SDJ with my DDJ-SX. Thats probably over a year. Not one problem. Worked 100% all the time, everytime. Also, been using SDJ with my SL3 since the 1st release for SL3 support (not the beta) and also 100%.
Only problem I have is video recording which isn't really an issue for me.
Jensen Määäm 8:31 PM - 1 May, 2014
I have used SDJ 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 with turntables and an SL2 and SL3, along with an SP1 and the pitch n time plug in as well, in the club and at home, no problems, it works. I have used SDJ 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 with an SX, Serato Video and the pitch n time plug in in the club, works fine, no problems. I have used SDJ 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 with CDJ 900s in HID modus, along with the SP1 and pitch n time at home, works fine, no problems. My buffer in SDJ is set at 5ms, and at 8ms in the panel of the soundcard. I don't scratch and the laptop is a maxed out 2011 17" MBP. CPU usage is low, even with Serato video and pitch n time.
deejdave 11:24 AM - 2 May, 2014
Been using Serato DJ since I got it with my DDJ-SX. I also use it with Rane 64, DJM-900SRT, DDJ-SZ, SL4 (not much though) and NS7II (recently). I have had zero crashing issues. My only issues are explained here serato.com and it can be worked around. Pretty tight performance with SDJ to be honest. I had to reset my devices once or twice though also BUT this did not lea to crash and timed correctly with an external source the music never stopped. As far as SSL goes it has the stability over SDJ but for my uses and the capabilities gained by SDJ that is all it has over SDJ. Again this is just my opinion and does not mean it is universal.
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:27 PM - 2 May, 2014
I've used my SX on about 60 or so mobile gigs (mostly weddings and sweet 16s) I had one issue just once where the SX just "reset" out of nowhere. Almost like someone hit a reset button, shut off for a second and turned right back on. Obvioulsy music cut out, but it was only for about 5 seconds. Other than that SDJ has been fine, no issues at all. And that includes loading in CDs into the laptop to play through SDJ, loading in a flash drive and dragging and dropping songs into SDJ as it's playing live. All done without any crashes.
DJNitro12 9:56 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:

I play weddings just like I do clubs. I still mix, cut, loop, etc. Never had a problem.
deejdave 10:12 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
I play weddings just like I do clubs. I still mix, cut, loop, etc. Never had a problem.

Amen to that. To be honest the hardest set I ever did (with the most blends, FX, traditions, etc was at wedding NOT a club. Granted this is not typical and not the norm but it does happen. I spent about 2 hrs straight of hardcore "powermixing" as the crowd was demanding more. I was happy to provide as the feeling is great and the fact that they were paying almost 4 times the rate I normally get a club per hour didn't hurt either.

That being said a true test could be even rougher at your own house on your own time. This is where you can do whatever you want for as long as you want to so in all honestly if you truly wanted to test your setup and take it to the limits your own home provides a rougher experience on the system. That being said it is certainly tougher to think of all the things that would come up during a normal night (eg DJ switching, gear rotation, HDD switches etc).
Culprit 4:57 PM - 3 May, 2014
Not yet too buggy
Marcushhh 12:50 AM - 4 May, 2014
I don't know if this is of much merit since I'm still a beginner in my 3rd year of college. However, I use SDJ perfectly fine with 2 Tech's 1210 mk2's, MacBook Pro, sl2 box and a numark m2(as I said, I'm a beginner).

My gigs now are primarily either a variety of different on campus events or house parties.

Biggest gig so far was bringing all of the gear above to a lounge in SF called Pa'Ina where I got the opportunity to play an hour and a half set which went smooth as well.
Youngtee 5:51 AM - 4 May, 2014
Whats going on folks,

I use SDJ with a Rane Mixer and Numark V7s but primarily V7s are controlling SDJ all running on a MAC. I've done a few gigs and had no issues with the software.

Just had to get use to the layout of the GUI from using ITCH to SDJ.
cotdagoo 3:10 PM - 4 May, 2014
never played out on it yet..

anytime i've tried to 'test' it at home, crashes within the first 30mins, or within 2h.. at random.

thought it had to be a joke when i first gave it a shot with my sl4 jumping from SSL

back to SSL.. waiting to hear things get better before i bother trying sdj again
nik39 1:07 AM - 5 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That's my biggest fear the whole firmware thing. If i do make the jump apparently the new firmware doesn't work with SSL. Does anyone know why this is? I saw the sticky that CAUTIONED against using SSL with the new firmware, but they don't really go into details as to WHY the caution. Seems very weird and kind of hush hush, but obviously serious enough for them to post it.

The latest firmware works with SL and SDJ.
molina1 2:59 AM - 5 May, 2014
I've been using it with my ddjsx since december. I've had a few weird things happen, like it decided to just fast forward a track with my hands not even touching anything. But for the most part has been stable with the ddjsx with the sl2 and time code vinyl different story,with sl2 and cdj 900 in hid I had a complete crash. So I will only use it with my ddjsx. For time code and HID I have to stick with scratch live until it gets tweeked up better.
Lozilla 12:51 PM - 5 May, 2014
@djarchi

Obviously you're not going to get a consistent response to your question. Clearly everyone is having different experiences with the software. To me, that means it's still a little unstable...particularly with time coded hardware. Will it ever work 100% of the time for everyone....not likely, simply based on differences in computer specs, hardware condition, etc.

My advice...when playing out, go with what you know works in your set up. I don't think any of us that play out for $$$ would ever do so with hardware / software that we're not 100% confident in.
Logisticalstyles 2:27 AM - 6 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I've never been to a club where they stop the music to cut the cake, do a garter or bouquet toss, give speeches from members of the wedding party , etc.

A club situation is very different from a wedding reception. The longest I've ever had to spin dance music at a reception is 2 hours, the rest of the time is laid back or waiting. The longest I've played dance music at a club is 7 hours non stop.
DJNitro12 4:18 AM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've never been to a club where they stop the music to cut the cake, do a garter or bouquet toss, give speeches from members of the wedding party , etc.

A club situation is very different from a wedding reception. The longest I've ever had to spin dance music at a reception is 2 hours, the rest of the time is laid back or waiting. The longest I've played dance music at a club is 7 hours non stop.

I stop the music for dinner prayer and speeches, that's it. Music plays during bouquet, garter, cake cutting, cocktail hour, and dinner. I've never done a 2 hour reception in my life.
Entro 3:15 PM - 14 May, 2014
Played a 4+ hour set at a club the other week. Rock solid; no problems. Denon MC2000 + late-2013 MBP Retina.

I think the maybe the issue is that people are far more likely to post on the forums if something went wrong (crashes, dropouts, etc.) than if everything worked correctly.
BBN 3:21 PM - 14 May, 2014
Using Serato DJ since it's first public Beta version for all my club gigs with turntables, a Rane Sixty-Two mixer, Dicers and a DDJ-SP1.
Much more fun than Scratch Live.
djarchi 3:57 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Using Serato DJ since it's first public Beta version for all my club gigs with turntables, a Rane Sixty-Two mixer, Dicers and a DDJ-SP1.

I just got a DDJ-SP1 this week. Going to dive into it and figure it out this weekend. It looks awesome. Do you have a carrying bag for it? And what stand do you use? I have an uberstand but that seems a bit wobbly. Hopefully i can figure out how to tighten it.
deejdave 3:58 PM - 14 May, 2014
Been having no issues whatsoever with my 900SRT, Rane 64 or DDJ-SZ. I just recently ran into an issue with my SX believe it or not. I simply moved the buffer to 2 ms or 5 ms (can't remember which one) and it fixed it but the point is I have never ha to do that. I have yet to use my NS7II or Rane 64 with SDJ publicly and to be honest I don't think I will be so not mush help with those interfaces.
Dj Youkai 5:06 PM - 14 May, 2014
Why do I have a Feeling that the next version of DDJ-SP1 will have Color Pads like the SZ.
deejdave 5:27 PM - 14 May, 2014
IF they do release a next version there is ZERO chance of it not having color coded pads. That is why you have that feeling LOL. I mean can you imaging the amount of backlash they would endure if they didn't?
DJ Quartz 5:31 PM - 14 May, 2014
I'm playing out with it more and I it's been very stable for me. I used Serato Video, etc and no crashes.
DjCity 7:28 PM - 14 May, 2014
I use SDJ out all the time and have zero issues.

Sdj gets a "live" workout 4x a week every week.
Jensen Määäm 10:56 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I just got a DDJ-SP1 this week. Going to dive into it and figure it out this weekend. It looks awesome. Do you have a carrying bag for it? And what stand do you use? I have an uberstand but that seems a bit wobbly. Hopefully i can figure out how to tighten it.

I put the SP1 on a Crane stand, it's more flexibel and much more stable than an uberstand.
On a uberstand the SP1 would sit flat on it and you can't adjust the height of the uberstand. That's not the position you want your SP1, you might want to lower it and put it in a certain angle and not in a flat position up that high.
I have a Magma bag for the SP1, if I remember right the name of the bag is Magma control case. The SP1 fits perfectly in it.
Wizzu 1:29 AM - 15 May, 2014
Using 1.6.0 with a Windows 8 machine, specs below recommended, Pitch and Time enabled all the time.

12 gigs so far with my DDJ-SX + SDJ 1.6.0 without a crash (so I'm reluctant to upgrade now, since 1.5.2 wasn't as stable for me).
All my gigs are minimum 4 hours, most of them longer than 8 hours (mobile DJ).

Just that since I started using Pitch & time, sometimes the display of the waveforms is a bit sluggish. It doesn't affect the audio (at least not in a noticeable way). It's just a little annoying.

FX used are epic drop verb, filter echo, and delay.

Granted I never use video, I don't scratch much (just a little), I never use SmartSync, and use SimpleSync very sparingly (most of my beatmatching is manual). So I'm not a "power" user.
Wizzu 1:31 AM - 15 May, 2014
Quote:
Excellent points. :-)
Wizzu 1:36 AM - 15 May, 2014
[quoteThe longest I've ever had to spin dance music at a reception is 2 hours, the rest of the time is laid back or waiting.Wow! 2 hours only? :-8

Things are very different for me here (Belgium and north of France), at weddings I often play non stop from ±22h30 to 04h00... they are never tired.
Wizzu 1:37 AM - 15 May, 2014
Quote:
The longest I've ever had to spin dance music at a reception is 2 hours, the rest of the time is laid back or waiting.

Wow! 2 hours only? :-8

Things are very different for me here (Belgium and north of France), at weddings I often play non stop from ±22h30 to 04h00... they are never tired, I have to pull the plug (per my contract...)
KlausMogensen 7:00 AM - 15 May, 2014
Quote:

Wow! 2 hours only? :-8

Things are very different for me here (Belgium and north of France), at weddings I often play non stop from ±22h30 to 04h00... they are never tired, I have to pull the plug (per my contract...)

Same in Denmark :)
KlausMogensen 7:06 AM - 15 May, 2014
I only use it for club-like gigs, with semi-prepared sets (like a 1 hour timeslot). Failover options are normally great at places with some kind og booth, since there are normaly already a mixer and cd players present - so I can continue playing on cd's the rest of the gig, if something starts acting weird

For mobile/wedding/event gigs, where all I got is normally what I bring myself, I don't use Serato - at least not yet
BBN 10:22 AM - 15 May, 2014
@djarchi: My DDJ-SP1 is on a Crane stand and I put it in my Magma Riot Backpack XL.
boabmatic 11:23 PM - 15 May, 2014
Fully switched to SDJ now since the release of 1.6.2.

Hadn't switched before due to the 62 firmware issues but they are all sorted now and not had any probs with the SDJ software either.
dj_double_s 4:48 PM - 7 July, 2014
SDJ 1.6.2 was working perfectly for me at gigs, but I bought a Pioneer DDJ-SP1, now I'm getting big time audio dropouts.
haze324 4:51 PM - 7 July, 2014
used 1.6.3 with a 62 last week for the first time at a club. Had no issues.
DJ Quartz 5:23 PM - 7 July, 2014
Two setups.

57SL + SL4 + SP1 Studio/Road Setup

68 + SP1 at Club Residency
Niro 6:04 PM - 7 July, 2014
I have a few questions for you guys that use SDJ.

1. How do you deal with the scrolling issue after existing out of the search box?

2. Are you experiencing SDJ jumping into Internal mode and playing at a slow speed when you move the needle back towards the beginning of the record?

3. (Video guys) Is SDJ rewriting tags after ejecting?

The search box bug is major for me, since I play off of the master list. Having the scroll start from the beginning of the crate every time is really cumbersome. Also the comd+L will only locate the track that was loaded last and that is inconsistent on weather it locates the last track loaded or the one before.

After playing for a few hours the right deck will jump into internal mode when you move the needle back towards the start of the record. I have my laptop to the side, so to have change it back Relative move almost every time is really annoying and time consuming.

Serato rewriting tags after ejection use to be an issue awhile back, when after awhile it will bottleneck the computer. (Actually I believe this might be in SSL) But after ejecting a majority of my MP4's, Serato will re write tags. Mainly just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Overall the first two issues are currently deal breakers for club use. I will continue to test at home to try and help move the software forward as I see it being very close to being stable and useable for most.
DJ Baby Boy 10:31 PM - 7 July, 2014
I've been using SDJ 1.6.3 live for quite a while now with no issues on my 62 with techs and CDJ 2000's in HID and also my DDJSX

Quote:
I have a few questions for you guys that use SDJ.

1. How do you deal with the scrolling issue after existing out of the search box?

2. Are you experiencing SDJ jumping into Internal mode and playing at a slow speed when you move the needle back towards the beginning of the record?

3. (Video guys) Is SDJ rewriting tags after ejecting?

1. After searching to deal with that bug I hit tab to jump to the track I just loaded and hit the down arrow and from there the scrolling whether it be from the mixer or CDJ's will work properly a little annoying yes but I'm now in the habit of doing it

2. I have been experiencing this as well and as a workaround for that is I added a "button" to my sonic logic mapping for ME to have a little REL button that I can push for both sides just in case and it doesn't affect work flow very much if at all

3. I haven't had any issues with SDJ rewriting the tags for any of my files once I did a complete reanalyze of them which I had to do when I put in new hard drives but after I reanalyzed the rewriting went away ... One thing to really watch for when reanalyzing it that by default Serato will adjust your beatgrids on transitions if you have those set as well as double the 69bpm and below tracks so before doing that I suggest somehow marking them in an unused tag to halve them after the reanalyze

Hopefully this helped ... Also note I'm using dicers with both 62 setups as well and Sonic Logic for ME with all three