DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How does Valentines Day weekend effect your residency?

DJ Mr. $ 10:18 PM - 14 February, 2009
Ok, so i play at the same spot on friday and saturday nights. This is my first year there. Last night, our early crowd from 12-1:15 was about half of what we typically have on a friday (i play from 12-3), the main crowd from 1:15-2:30 was almost as busy as a normal friday, but people were leaving a lot earlier then normal (from my room and the other room, and i was playing a solid set). At the end of the night I asked the manager if she expected a drop off tonight, and she said that usually Valentines Day is busier for them because there are so many single people in this college town.

So what experiences do you guys have on past valentines days and how was the crowd at your residency last night?

I know that there will be a lot of single horney girls out tonight, i'll sign up for that every night.
DCM 4:27 AM - 15 February, 2009
last night was slightly lighter than a normal Friday, but tonight is gonna be crazy. i'm bringin the A game
Caramac 10:05 AM - 16 February, 2009
My friday night was busy but I had my 1st Friday 13th issue. Lol. I wire everything up and start turning everything on. Put a record on and wonder why no sound is coming out. Check my cables and everything is wired up fine. Look at the mixer and realise the LED's aren't flashing. I check the mixer is plugged in and on. I've got an old Vestax 05 and I think it's finally shit the bed and doesn't want to work. A bit pissed as I have no other mixer with me and I'm miles from my yard to go get my back up. Not pissed because I've had this mixer for years and have battered it week in week out since I brought it. It's been good to me.

As usual when I'm running late or something goes wrong people start to turn up to the club early. I just look at the mixer for a minute or three and give it the please do it for daddy just one more time look. Then when it clearly isn't going to work. I walk upto the office to break the bad news to the owner that I'm officially shafted for the night and pray that he still has that big ugly red Numark mixer lying around. He doesn't and he's panicing. We have two rooms but I'm like the greeting room when people come in.

After a few minutes of us just thinking what to do next. I Decide to go have a look at the mixer in the comfort of the office. I change the fuse. No joy. We even (and I really didn't want to do this) use a similar power pack hoping that it might work for the night. No joy. Try the mixer one more time with the original power pack just on the off chance I've done something wrong and my baby powers up. The owner looks at me like is that good. I'm like Fuck yeah it is. I knock the wire see a spark by the power pack and my baby turns off again. Years of wrapping the wire round the main part of the power pack has ended up snapping the wire at the base to the pack. Time to Magyver the shit. Got myself a knife from the kitchen (no scissors) and some electrical tape and I start cutting the wire and go through the process of reattaching the wires and taping them together. Plug it back in and pray I don't electrocute myself. All is good and my baby is ready to work for me one more time. The owner is happy. I go back out and rewire up my mixer and start the party. After that had a pretty good night.

Saturday night on the other hand was boring as. I tried to keep it on a lovers note with the Jodeci, Intro, Brian McKnight, D'Angelo etc and all they wanted was Single Ladies and Britney Spears all bloody night.
Caramac 10:06 AM - 16 February, 2009
And today I'm ebaying it looking for more power packs.
BattleFunk 12:52 PM - 16 February, 2009
it was a boring Friday and Saturday for me, about 40% crowd and all couples. lame.
Rebelguy 2:22 PM - 16 February, 2009
Most of the promoters and Club owners I deal with tell mr V-day is one of their slower days.
Jader 2:35 PM - 16 February, 2009
Caramac, that was epic. I love DJ Macguyver stories.
john blaze 2:45 PM - 16 February, 2009
My Saturday night sucked and it's usually awesome. I'll tell you this much, I know why all those people who came out are single.
Caramac 2:52 PM - 16 February, 2009
^^^ ha ha. One of the bouncers said the same thing about a group of girls.

I told one of them off in a nice way. This woman wanted Single Ladies at 9.30pm. I said not right now. She asked when and I said later. She comes back and asks for it again and I say not now luv later. She then gets in a mood. I had to tell her it's not even 10pm and you want this tune. It's a 3 minute tune after I play it what else do you want me to play? I have 4 more hours to fill.
DJ Jonasty 4:51 PM - 16 February, 2009
My friday spot was pretty slow. I had a caramac incedent on nye! Power cord to external hd had become exposed and would cut out. I taped it up set it down gently. Made it thru the whole night, whew! It would of been a bummer to miss out on nye $. It was like djing on eggshells all night. I bought a new power supply and now carry 2 identical drives w me to all gigs. Be careful when u wrap up cords a lot, they get shredded!
DCM 5:35 PM - 16 February, 2009
Quote:
My Saturday night sucked and it's usually awesome. I'll tell you this much, I know why all those people who came out are single.

lol

It seems like I'm the only one who had a busier than normal saturday
dJ bMaN 6:15 PM - 16 February, 2009
The club I did Saturday was "AMISTAD" packed. I was actually shocked. The week before there was a nasty fight. So nasty in fact that the club closed at 12:45 because of it.
R-Tistic 7:49 PM - 16 February, 2009
It's L.A.....way more singles here!
DjWoody 8:38 PM - 16 February, 2009
For me it was sold out. There was a huge line of people waiting to get in when I got there at 9pm. Usually, there's about 10 people in line at 9pm, but not on Saturday, we had a long line. By 11pm we were sold out. People kept texting me to get them in, but when we're sold out, unless you're a really hot girl with big boobs, or a close friend of mine, you ain't getting in. :( It's hard to do something about it.

I knew it was gonna be mad crazy cuz my text messages kept blowing up the whole day. People kept asking for guestlists but we don't have one on Saturdays.
DjWoody 8:40 PM - 16 February, 2009
Quote:
i'm bringin the A game

+1... I know I did a fucken awesome job cuz people kept coming up to me and asking to buy CD's. Sucks for me, I didn't take any. :(
sixxx 8:51 PM - 16 February, 2009
Valentine's Weekend kinda sucked for me... but it wasn't due to Valentine's. It was due to the fucken rain. It was raining as I was driving to the club. If it's raining and/or too cold, people just don't wanna go out.
theJAV 8:53 PM - 16 February, 2009
^^^ Word....I've been in Cali since Wednesday, and it's rained like EVERY day on my trip!? What's up??? lol
DJ Strike It Up 9:19 PM - 16 February, 2009
Had over 1000 heads at my club, we made it a Freestyle Valentine's Day Concert and booked Cynthia - the place was jumpin as always and with me the friday night resident Dj along with a guest DJ at the controls, we made everyone move all night long....
DJMuErTe 2:21 AM - 17 February, 2009
Friday was slow slow, at the club but Sat night was crazy, we hit capacity at 11:45pm and had over 100 people waiting on line!