DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Calling Mixcloud users

B.Hollywood 7:30 AM - 22 April, 2014
Hello Serato Forum,

is anyone else out there using mixcloud.com I think its sick, time stamping is easy to use and so is the interface.

The app is sick too. Altho it seems not to many users are on it? I know SoundCloud is much more popular which I also have but I think mixcloud is better.

Anyway, if you are a mixcloud user, through up a link to a mix or two.
Joe Fresh 11:46 AM - 22 April, 2014
Mixcloud is a hundred times better than SoundCloud for posting DJ mixes, podcasts, and live sets. It's built specifically for that, and I absolutely love it. It's a shame that it isn't more popular, SoundCloud really takes over everything else out there right now.

My mixes and podcast are here - www.mixcloud.com
dj_ys 3:31 PM - 22 April, 2014
The Future.FM is dope too and actually pays royalties to DJs for their mixes.
Logisticalstyles 4:08 PM - 22 April, 2014
Man, I've been with thefuture.fm for a couple of years now and haven't seen one royalty paymnet yet. It seems like every 6 months I get an email from them about re-vamping the website and royalties are coming soon, but nothing ever comes out of it. I get plenty of emails about the high profile DJ mixes that they are promoting, but I never get a straight answer about the royalty program even when I directly email or tweet them. I've started to give up on them.
Mixcrate is where I'm starting to keep most of my mixes.
dj_ys 4:43 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
Man, I've been with thefuture.fm for a couple of years now and haven't seen one royalty paymnet yet. It seems like every 6 months I get an email from them about re-vamping the website and royalties are coming soon, but nothing ever comes out of it. I get plenty of emails about the high profile DJ mixes that they are promoting, but I never get a straight answer about the royalty program even when I directly email or tweet them. I've started to give up on them.

I've gotten a few emails with the payout breakdowns but the key is traffic. Are you getting hits?
Aden 4:46 PM - 22 April, 2014
Mixcloud is great. I'm surprised more djs don't use it.

www.mixcloud.com
Logisticalstyles 9:33 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I've gotten a few emails with the payout breakdowns but the key is traffic. Are you getting hits?

Interesting, I get plenty of hits and I've been abiding by the rules for my level of membership. I've got over 40 hrs of mixes posted and I upload 2 mixes per month with frequent weekly social media posts. That was the last request I got from them in Jauary. The site was supposed to be relaunched in February but so far nothing has changed. I guess I need to follow up with my contacts over there.
Dj Shamann 9:40 PM - 22 April, 2014
I don't make mixes very often, but I've been a Mixcloud user for a couple of years now, great system.

www.mixcloud.com
DJ Nin 10:45 PM - 22 April, 2014
I've got a whooping 1 mix on Mixcloud so far, but I plan on uploading more soon.

www.mixcloud.com
B.Hollywood 4:00 AM - 23 April, 2014
Thats cool that Future.fm pays royalties but it does some problematic.

Heres a link to my mixes - www.mixcloud.com

Cool to see some other Serato users on board.
Steve E Wunda 4:01 AM - 24 April, 2014
I use them both. I also use Podomatic. Mixcloud for mixes, Podomatic for radio show and Soundcloud for production, remixes, stuff I engineered, etc. I do have a mix up on there also but Mixcloud gets more traffic for the same mix.

www.mixcloud.com
DJ Michael Timex 5:52 AM - 24 April, 2014
I've migrated my stuff slowly over there also
www.mixcloud.com
jprime 4:09 PM - 24 April, 2014
I've had a Mixcloud account for some time, it's a great service :)

www.mixcloud.com
DJ Benny B NYC 5:59 PM - 24 April, 2014
i dont like the format. I think its over cluttered. soundcloud looks so nice, how all of your mixes are in a column.
Logisticalstyles 3:56 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
The Future.FM is dope too and actually pays royalties to DJs for their mixes.

They finally contacted me about launching a mix series for the newly relaunched site. Seems like they are getting things together.
Joe Fresh 6:19 PM - 14 May, 2014
Site looks much better.
Fazi Snaxxx 4:46 PM - 22 August, 2014
Below is my Mixcloud. I currently have 1 follower (my sister -_-) lol so I'd appreciate any followers (I will follow back). Any feedback on my mashups is greatly appreciated!

www.mixcloud.com
Dj Rehab 5:39 PM - 22 August, 2014
Mixcloud is good, but doesn't get the hits
Dj Rehab 5:42 PM - 22 August, 2014
Soundcloud looks 10x better to the user, which is still the #1 most important thing

I have 50 total listens on Mixcloud, 1.7 Million on Soundcloud.

www.mixcloud.com
Papa Midnight 6:37 PM - 22 August, 2014
That's not entirely true. Mixcloud tracks full listens from start to finish of the entire mix. Not partial listens (as Soundcloud does).

That means that if you upload a 1 hour mix, a listener would have to listen to the entirety of it from start to finish for it to be counted.
geeunot 6:46 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
That's not entirely true. Mixcloud tracks full listens from start to finish of the entire mix. Not partial listens (as Soundcloud does).

That means that if you upload a 1 hour mix, a listener would have to listen to the entirety of it from start to finish for it to be counted.

That's kinda lame.
Quote:
Soundcloud looks 10x better to the user, which is still the #1 most important thing

I have 50 total listens on Mixcloud, 1.7 Million on Soundcloud.

www.mixcloud.com

wow!!! 1.7 million is insane. you've been with SC for a while now or what? damn and I thot my 50k milestone was something. haha.
R-Tistic 8:43 PM - 22 August, 2014
Plenty reasons that folks are on Soundcloud more.

The audience is the main part. If you go to Mixcloud, you're ONLY going for DJ mixes. Soundcloud has all the major artists, and their main songs on there...which is the key thing that drives non-DJs just to listen to it. So there's no way for Mixcloud to compete with that, even if there's some things that make it better for us as DJ's (such as simply allowing mixes on there). So most of us get 10x the listens on Soundcloud as we would get anywhere else.
Joe Fresh 5:49 PM - 24 August, 2014
SoundCloud currently has a larger audience, but the way they're driving DJs away from their service, Mixcloud is quickly growing in popularity.