DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Macbook Air Wave Lagging & Heating

Dj J-Rok 12:00 AM - 13 February, 2009
Hello Everyone

I have a macbook air and serato. its fine at the start but after a while the waves start to lag and also it heats up at the bottom. I have set the screen updates to 60 but it till starts to lag. i have set the usb buffer to 5. All i use it for is serato and nothing else, Laptop is only a month old.

Also Sometimes the program just shuts down and ask's me to re open serato.
I am using the current version of scratch live

If anyone can help that would be great...

I have weekly club gigs and now im getting frustrated

Thanks
The New Guy 12:18 AM - 13 February, 2009
why did you get the air?
Dj J-Rok 12:22 AM - 13 February, 2009
I wanted something small and light to carry around for club gigs.
The New Guy 12:26 AM - 13 February, 2009
oh...I'm new so what do I know...but I thought the air wasnt a good computer because it has no CD player, How are you going to RIP CD and burn things? Also it has the same horse power as a macbook but the air is too small for the inside to get good air flow. So your mother bord and HD might be having trouble because of the tight space it has and the fact that your using it to the max. The air IMO is more of a toy not a tool. Try puting a fan under it. They sell the laptop coolers at best buy and such.
Dj J-Rok 12:48 AM - 13 February, 2009
I like the concept of the Air as everything is made to be wireless, CD ripping isnt a issue as i transfer everything via usb from my imac.

Ill try the fan and see how i go.

Thanks New guy
The New Guy 12:49 AM - 13 February, 2009
Anytime!
Chrisjin 1:48 AM - 13 February, 2009
How about downloading the fan control for Macs. Its free and it works real well. I've never had any issues with overheating or lag due to overheated CPUs

www.macupdate.com
Dj J-Rok 2:23 AM - 13 February, 2009
Thanks man, Ill try that aswell
gravitized 2:41 AM - 13 February, 2009
I would also suggest SMC Fan Cotrol as it sounds like your laptop is throttling.

"A throttling controller as it is sometimes called, is a process responsible for regulating the rate at which application processing is conducted, either fixedly or dynamically."

Meaning the computer can dumb itself down in order to use less power thus staying cool.

This was happening to me when I first got my MBP, tried the external fan pads helped but didnt solve the issue. I opened up my MBP and applied new thermal goo and installed SMC Fan Control havnt had an issue since. Keep an eye on your temps once you install SMC.
freshtodeath 8:58 PM - 13 February, 2009
This might be better in the HELP section

Try defragging your drive-
Jader 10:32 AM - 14 February, 2009
^ only works on pcs if im not mistaken
freshtodeath 3:13 PM - 14 February, 2009
Quote:
^ only works on pcs if im not mistaken

idefrag
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:08 PM - 14 February, 2009
Also have it checked out at a Apple Store. Have you updated to the latest OS via software update?

Send the crash report to Serato via the help section.
DJ Strike It Up 9:30 PM - 14 February, 2009
Just like gravitized said - get the SMC fan control program...I have it on my Mac and it keeps my bitch nice and cold...