DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Turntables - "Standard" position or "Battle" position

WuaKeeN 8:48 PM - 12 February, 2009
Just wondering what everyone's preference was here on their turntable positioning? I have kept mine in standard position since I started DJ'ng but am looking at a new coffin for my set up & looks like it only comes in the "Battle" position. Are there any advantages or is it just a preference? I don't scratch, just beat mix. Just wondering your thoughts...
djrob-e-rob 8:49 PM - 12 February, 2009
is it worth the skill level you've gained to switch...?
WuaKeeN 8:55 PM - 12 February, 2009
Does it make that much of a difference? I don't think the skills will be hampered or will they? I guess I could just try it tonight & move my decks around. I'm bored I guess & just thought I'd ask.
Crown 9:02 PM - 12 February, 2009
if you just mix, keep them standard. people normally do battle position b/c it gives you easy access to the most records area not covered by the needle and tonearem. Plus, you'll have easier access to the pitch control with a standard setup, which i'm assuming is imporant to you.

i think i've seen standard set up coffins before...could be wrong.

i have always used battle. alot of it is just preference, though.
terrible1fi 9:04 PM - 12 February, 2009
only difference in battle postition is that the needle is out of the way, but your pitch slider will be farther away from you
terrible1fi 9:04 PM - 12 February, 2009
what crown said
WuaKeeN 9:12 PM - 12 February, 2009
That's kind of what I figured. Thanks all. By the way, just found the coffin I want with table set up as standard. This is for my 2nd set up which I plan to keep at home with the TTM57 that I am planning on purchasing: www.odysseygear.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:21 PM - 12 February, 2009
I use mine standard but dont scratch. I like not having the tonearm in the way when i nudge a record. The pitch being further away dosent really bother me, it seems like its just as far away on the far side deck anyway
HurricaneDJ 9:31 PM - 12 February, 2009
BAttLE
R-Tistic 10:10 PM - 12 February, 2009
I really like standard mode better. I scratch, but nothin major...and I still prefer scratching in regular mode, even with the needle there, since Serato doesn't have to have the needle in any particular spot to where it may get in the way. I like standard most because of where the pitch is at...that's a MUST for me.
The New Guy 10:11 PM - 12 February, 2009
Quote:
That's kind of what I figured. Thanks all. By the way, just found the coffin I want with table set up as standard. This is for my 2nd set up which I plan to keep at home with the TTM57 that I am planning on purchasing: www.odysseygear.com

hmm... i was going to get that same case for my gear, but I didnt think about the battle or standard mode. Can this case do both?
Laz219 10:17 PM - 12 February, 2009
I've always had mine battle simply because the table I use to sit them on isn't wide enough to fit them in standard positions.

The pitch does sometimes feel a little far away, I think I've been using them "battle" for that long now it'd take me a bit to adjust if I moved them.
shiestO! 10:43 PM - 12 February, 2009
i had them in standard style forEVER then i realized i was gonna have to play elsewhere and they were battle style. long story short, the decks at my house stay in battle style even though i mix 95% and scratch 5% because it takes up less space!

hard on the back tho. (no misquote, fuckers)
WuaKeeN 10:44 PM - 12 February, 2009
Quote:
hmm... i was going to get that same case for my gear, but I didnt think about the battle or standard mode. Can this case do both?

No, I think it can do one or the other. Initially it was only available in "Battle" position as noted below:

www.odysseygear.com

I just found this one today, I guess I should have looked before posting :p

www.odysseygear.com

By the way, there is about a 9" difference in length between the battle & standard positioned coffin but that is no bigee for me.
n:deuce 11:08 PM - 12 February, 2009
i dont skratch and i use standard. you can definately get coffins either way.
n:deuce 11:09 PM - 12 February, 2009
oh yeah, i use techs. the nice thing about the numark ttx's is that you can move the pitch slider around...that was a good idea.
HYDRO MATIC 11:36 PM - 12 February, 2009
^^^^ I was trying my best not to post that...lol
dj_soo 11:59 PM - 12 February, 2009
i don't scratch much but I prefer battle just cause that's how I learned (and that was just due to space constraints at first). I've accidentally knocked the tone arm off more than once when playing club style.
J3RMZ 12:26 AM - 13 February, 2009
Battle with both decks on the left side of the mixer that way I can cut on both decks.
The New Guy 12:27 AM - 13 February, 2009
Quote:
Battle with both decks on the left side of the mixer that way I can cut on both decks.

haha
Jader 2:12 AM - 13 February, 2009
i think i seen qbert and premier spin that way
DJ_Gadabout 2:24 AM - 13 February, 2009
i recommend jus leaving ur decks the way you are used to having them.
i personally go battle. when i 1st got my setup, i got them in an old odyssey case, with the decks in "standard". i moved them a week later...never gone back since =]
dj buterd hams 2:44 AM - 13 February, 2009
battle . i hate standard
dj buterd hams 2:45 AM - 13 February, 2009
funny thing though when i started to spin i left them standard till i could mix cuz i didnt want to put them battle .felt like a poser if i did . hahaha
Jay Sol 3:37 AM - 13 February, 2009
i learned standard, moved to battle cause it was more comfy for me. more recently, i switched to L style (one battle and on standard). works nice if you do a lot of start stop tricks (reverse brake triple threads and ish). here is how it looks...

(btw, those are the clubs 1200's, i would never let my decks get that ditry!)

c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com
DJ_Gadabout 3:39 AM - 13 February, 2009
^^^..definitely just the 3rd time i ever seen that. kudos.
WuaKeeN 4:08 AM - 13 February, 2009
I just tried the Battle position with my current set up & I can see the advantage especially using Serato as you are not constantly changing records.

img4.imageshack.us

As long as you stay in the same neighborhood in regards to BPM, touching the Pitch slider may be kept at a minimum but I agree, it would take a lot of getting used to. I'm sticking with club style :)
DJ-NEO 4:38 AM - 13 February, 2009
i use the battle positon . . . if your looking for coffins MARATHON has sum nice ones out. both in standard or battle style
Phil Anthony 4:50 AM - 13 February, 2009
If you're mobile only, do what feels best. But get used to both ways if you play clubs because these days you never know what the config will be. I personally prefer standard. Depending how tall you are and the setup, battle can be brutal on your back if you are playing a long set. Just the opposite of Soo, I've knocked the needle off the record more then once when reaching over the tonearm playing battlestyle.
WuaKeeN 6:08 AM - 13 February, 2009
^^^ I do mostly clubs now & all have the turntables set up "club" style. When I do mobiles I usually just take my CD set up, no turntables required. I'll stick to my standard set up which does feel best. Thanks all....
dJ bMaN 6:43 AM - 13 February, 2009
It doesn't matter which way you put them. Battle mode is retarded to me because I scratch with my fingers at the top of the platter. Plus the pitch being at the top can be very tedious especially if you have on a long-sleeved shirt. Standard is the way I was taught and the way I will continue to spin. However I have had instances where I had to use battle style because of space limitations. I can do either or but I prefer standard.
DJ C.A.P 8:38 AM - 13 February, 2009
I have mind in battle mode takes up less room on my dresser
Caramac 9:20 AM - 13 February, 2009
I got mine in battle mode as I was doing a few routines when I started out. Unless you have specific routines you want to do then it shouldn't be an issue either way. I go to clubs and they have them set up normally and it hasn't been an issue for regular mixing or scratching.
Jay Sol 10:42 AM - 13 February, 2009
anyone set up euro style?? tables side by side standard and the mixer on one side?? doesn't really make sense to me but some people do it. i know there are some clubs in london and even here in the US with setups like that...
Caramac 10:53 AM - 13 February, 2009
I know one scratch dj who does that. I tried it once after seeing an old Gangstarr video. It's a bit of a head fuck doing it that way but you can get used to it. In fact it might be worth while me giving this another go just to get some practisce in for when I may need to use instant doubles.
Jay Sol 11:20 AM - 13 February, 2009
word.

i really enjoy mine setup in L style and am yet to see another DJ rock that way out here. i unno, it works for me.
Caramac 11:23 AM - 13 February, 2009
L style or both decks on one side? The L style was just long because I couldn't be bothered to label my records up differently. Lol.
HittinSkinzTa2 1:18 PM - 13 February, 2009
Quote:
anyone set up euro style?? tables side by side standard and the mixer on one side?? doesn't really make sense to me but some people do it. i know there are some clubs in london and even here in the US with setups like that...

I do.
When I started (back in 1986) I tried it out one day and liked it. I have been setting mine up like that ever since.

[IMG]i37.photobucket.com[/IMG]
Caramac 1:20 PM - 13 February, 2009
^^ That's a really nice set up.
HittinSkinzTa2 1:22 PM - 13 February, 2009
Thanks bro.
Caramac 1:29 PM - 13 February, 2009
No worries. I got some beat up old computer desk with my flight cases resting on top lol. Most of the guys on here have these really sleek looking studios set up. I need to step my game up.
shiestO! 2:13 PM - 13 February, 2009
Quote:
i recommend jus leaving ur decks the way you are used to having them.
i personally go battle. when i 1st got my setup, i got them in an old odyssey case, with the decks in "standard". i moved them a week later...never gone back since =]

i respecfully disagree. it's weird to go to the opposite style if you're not used to it. get good at both.
DJ Schematic 2:26 PM - 13 February, 2009
Quote:

I had bought that case a year ago, but i got rid of it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great case but you need to keep in mind how heavy technics are. I live on the 2nd story of my apartment, and it sucks to lug that sh*t up those steps when your coming back from a gig. (especially when you're half-drunk)

IMO, i would recommend sticking with your flight cases.
DJBlisk 11:00 PM - 13 February, 2009
Quote:
i don't scratch much but I prefer battle just cause that's how I learned (and that was just due to space constraints at first). I've accidentally knocked the tone arm off more than once when playing club style.

What he said.
wilkins820 4:45 AM - 15 February, 2009
use battle for battle.

otherwise you have to reach all the way up and over the needle to get to the pitch control.
then you go to pull yer hand back and bump the needle...

and they've always made coffins in the standard position.
DjPrecision 5:12 AM - 15 February, 2009
Quote:
i learned standard, moved to battle cause it was more comfy for me. more recently, i switched to L style (one battle and on standard). works nice if you do a lot of start stop tricks (reverse brake triple threads and ish). here is how it looks...

(btw, those are the clubs 1200's, i would never let my decks get that ditry!)

c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com

definitely a slept on setup- i only switched from this to battle because i got better @ scratching on the right turntable
n:deuce 4:32 PM - 15 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I do.
When I started (back in 1986) I tried it out one day and liked it. I have been setting mine up like that ever since.

i agree NICE setup. like to see those! i have been considering this style of setup as well as the 'L'.
dj buterd hams 1:39 AM - 16 February, 2009
No ways .looks nice couldn't or actually not want to rock like that
GoodVibez 2:02 AM - 16 February, 2009
battle
soulprovider 3:00 AM - 16 February, 2009
I started battle mode.. then for lil bit went with the L-setup (x-men inspired)..and back to battle mode when i first started in the battle circuit....but I have no qualms going with standard setup...just have to be a little more careful..hehe
DJ Sniffles 4:19 AM - 16 February, 2009
Do what you feel comfortable with..... easy as that
DJ Sniffles 4:22 AM - 16 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I do.

Ahhh....scratchin on that setup is fun. Especially when I would forget to switch the fader back from hamster and you looking at your mixer like "WTF"
DJ_Gadabout 5:17 AM - 16 February, 2009
Where do you all put ur laptop? I jus recently started putting it to the side. [no homo]
HittinSkinzTa2 10:04 AM - 16 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do.

Ahhh....scratchin on that setup is fun. Especially when I would forget to switch the fader back from hamster and you looking at your mixer like "WTF"

Quit ya bitchin'. You got the hang of it. :P (no misquote)
Eli Lilly 2:33 AM - 17 February, 2009
Quote:

I had my rig like that for the last 4 or 5 years because I was sometimes using 4 decks. I just switched back to "mixer in the middle" a couple of weeks ago. The problem is you don't really gain any advantage, you can't reach from the leftmost deck to the mixer well enough. I can scratch with my left hand on the crossfader better than I can with my arms stretched wide. And much to my surprise, going back to the mixer in the middle was HARD, for the first couple of weeks I kept having to think about the crossfader position, even though it's clearly more obvious with the mixer in the middle.

-E
Jay Sol 4:38 AM - 17 February, 2009
i wonder how euro / battle style would fair...i mean, you got both decks on your comfy scratching side but they are battle so they are closer...hmmm...might be something to try.
Arlocho611 2:44 AM - 6 March, 2009
How about like this?

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ_Gadabout 3:15 AM - 6 March, 2009
wowzers. to each his own i guess..
[that video made me f-in dizzy]
CHICAGO KID 7:00 AM - 8 March, 2009
you mean DJ CASH MONEY style not battle style..i set mines up in 1985 because i kept hiding the needle with my fingers, also my table was shorter than normal, so i was forced to turn my tables withthe arm away from me..got dated pictures
sinjintek 9:41 AM - 18 September, 2011
^ i know this is an old thread.. but there's no difference between "Cash Money Style" and "Battle Style" aside from one points out that Cash Money introduced it. The term Battle style simply indicates the position is intended for fast paced hand movements, since during a battle you typically squeeze a lot of "turntable trickery" into a short period of time.

as for 1200s, i think DJ Honda Style.. just kidding. i mean the "L" style is best suited for juggling because it places both of the start/stop buttons near the mixer, thus shortening the distance and allowing for quicker use. in the past i primarily went with this method, but about a decade ago i bought TTX-1s and no longer needed to do so.. i still have a couple pairs of techs, but i've chosen to keep them purely battle style (mostly for space i suppose).

for the pure mix dj, your "standard" or "club" style is best simply because of the pitch position. you have the benefit of keeping it closer within reach, lessening your chance of snagging the tonearm (especially with long sleeves), and it's easier to be accurate and make minute (no, not as in 60 seconds. if you don't know what it means look it up) pitch shifts.

anyhow, i was looking to find what year Cash Money introduced the battle style.. and i can't find my old DMC vids, so if anyone can shed some light on this i'd be grateful!