DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

FOUNDING FATHERS narrated by Chuck D - REAL DJ HISTORY HERE

got2b Ru 12:30 PM - 13 April, 2014
Good in-depth history lesson of Hip-Hop in Brooklyn and Queens BEFORE Kool Herc, GMF etc

Watchwww.youtube.com

an hour and a half but well worth the watch
Gio Alex 8:03 PM - 13 April, 2014
Thanks for the post.
Gio Alex 8:48 PM - 13 April, 2014
"Infinity machine had sound for thousands"

So much info in this doc.
DJ Boss Sounds 2:07 AM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Good in-depth history lesson of Hip-Hop in Brooklyn and Queens BEFORE Kool Herc, GMF etc

Watchwww.youtube.com

Knowledge!
ninos 4:03 AM - 14 April, 2014
Hella dope!! Good post!
d:raf 4:09 AM - 14 April, 2014
Fascinating </spock eyebrow>
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:42 AM - 14 April, 2014
I knew I shouldn't have started watching it when I did....

***Glued to the screen for the last hour and 20 mins****

That was DOPE.

Answered a lot of questions.....
Gio Alex 12:48 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:

That was DOPE.

I really appreciated the fact that they focused on the gear in that doc.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:58 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That was DOPE.

EXACTLY, cuz you know, for the Gear Heads on here, that's stuff we really wanted to know...

I mean, they were NO JOKE with building those subs, where they got them from, first "S" shaped tonearm turntables used, the streetlight plug, stealing bullet tweeters from traffic lights? Man, listen...

I'm glad they took the time to gather all that info which is now forever cached on the internet.
Gio Alex 1:17 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That was DOPE.

EXACTLY, cuz you know, for the Gear Heads on here, that's stuff we really wanted to know...

I mean, they were NO JOKE with building those subs, where they got them from, first "S" shaped tonearm turntables used, the streetlight plug, stealing bullet tweeters from traffic lights? Man, listen...

I'm glad they took the time to gather all that info which is now forever cached on the internet.

Totally, that was one the one thing left out in a lot of the docs I've seen. For example, what gear were being used, how they were used and so on.

I didn't even know about Bertha subs. LOL or the bullet tweeters being stolen from traffic lights. I definitely got schooled.

Yo Johnny, what was your first mixer?
DJ GaFFle 7:59 PM - 14 April, 2014
Wow... now I'm stuck watching this. Fascinating to hear this history.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:05 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:

Yo Johnny, what was your first mixer?

This -> www.djjohnnym.com

I've only owned 3 mixer in my lifetime, but had damn near DJ'ed on all of them until the mid 90's.

When the other's didn't have the sound quality or something that made me not like it, I stacked up -> www.djjohnnym.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:05 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Wow... now I'm stuck watching this. Fascinating to hear this history.

Dude, this vid is amazing.
Mike_P 8:09 PM - 14 April, 2014
Nice. Thanks
MPC O.G. 12:46 AM - 15 April, 2014
Phone, PS3, TV, Radio.........OFF!!! Do the knowledge.
dj_craigmac 2:39 AM - 15 April, 2014
BRAVO !!!!
DJ GaFFle 2:11 PM - 15 April, 2014
Okay... I'm about half way through BUT I'm getting the jist that they're saying Hip Hop started in Brooklyn as opposed to the Bronx.

... and damn, Pete DJ Jones looks like he's over 7ft. tall!
AKIEM 2:17 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

thanks
deezlee 3:00 AM - 18 April, 2014
that bullet tweeter stuff is dope i didn't know about that
AKIEM 1:08 AM - 20 April, 2014
With all due respect, and acknowledgement of all the foundational and pioneering work these DJs did do and deserve plenty of credit for, and where there might not have been Hip Hop at all if not for them - I still think Hip Hop Culture was founded in the South Bronx the way it was said to be.

This story does however inform us about some missing pieces, misunderstandings and untold stories. But if Herc, Flash, and Bam did not formally found Hip Hop and take it world wide, there would be nothing for these dudes to have been written out of.

Another way to look at it is, as many inventions and advancements they themselves originated, DJing existed before they. And Rap existed before they.

But all due respect remains.
pdidy 7:04 AM - 20 April, 2014
Quote:
But if Herc, Flash, and Bam did not formally found Hip Hop and take it world wide, there would be nothing for these dudes to have been written out of.

Wrong.....people like flash and Afrika Bambaataa were simply ahead of the curve by putting out records early in the game therefore making them Icons in the hiphop world by default.

So while its true the Bronx took hiphop to the NEXT level (and ran with it) as a culture....Hiphop was already here and evolving, it was going to happen in a BIG way regardless with or without them.......the names of the icons would have just been different.
AKIEM 7:49 AM - 20 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
But if Herc, Flash, and Bam did not formally found Hip Hop and take it world wide, there would be nothing for these dudes to have been written out of.

Wrong.....people like flash and Afrika Bambaataa were simply ahead of the curve by putting out records early in the game therefore making them Icons in the hiphop world by default.

Incorrect.... Kool Herc did not put out any records. Flash and Bam were both Hip Hop Icons before putting out any records. And I wasnt talking about making records which happened after Hip Hop was established.

Quote:

So while its true the Bronx took hiphop to the NEXT level (and ran with it) as a culture....Hiphop was already here and evolving, it was going to happen in a BIG way regardless with or without them.......the names of the icons would have just been different.

The same thing could also be said about the fellas in this documentary. They did not 'invent' DJing and wernt the only ones doing it. They did not invent Rap and wernt the only ones doing it.

Im not talking about what "might" have happened - Im talking about what actually did happen.

And I didnt see too much about BBoying and Graffiti in that piece either....
MPC O.G. 8:53 PM - 20 April, 2014
Herc and Flash were the FIRST to help white folks make money off of it. THEREFORE they were the first.............TRUE SHIT BRO!
AKIEM 9:35 PM - 20 April, 2014
well they were icons before that two, but....
 6 9:45 PM - 20 April, 2014
Two?

nm
AKIEM 9:46 PM - 20 April, 2014
phonetically yes.

"too" works as well I guess.

nm
 6 9:49 PM - 20 April, 2014
Fonehtickly?

:-P

nm
pdidy 9:55 PM - 20 April, 2014
"Incorrect.... Kool Herc did not put out any records. Flash and Bam were both Hip Hop Icons before putting out any records. And I wasnt talking about making records which happened after Hip Hop was established."

I intentionally left out cool herc in my reply because his hiphop influence remained local and didn't not go "world wide". His "world wide" fame was the result of the Bronx and their founding Fathers "Crowning" him the Originator. Which is cool because every borugh in NYC had their originator and as we know many came before Herc. But there's no doubt the Bronx won that war regardless.

Flash and Bam were only local hiphop icons prior to producing records. Therefore you can not mention their "world wide" Icon status without their music production because it was their music that introduced hiphop to the world.
AKIEM 10:09 PM - 20 April, 2014
Quote:
"Incorrect.... Kool Herc did not put out any records. Flash and Bam were both Hip Hop Icons before putting out any records. And I wasnt talking about making records which happened after Hip Hop was established."

I intentionally left out cool herc in my reply because his hiphop influence remained local and didn't not go "world wide". His "world wide" fame was the result of the Bronx and their founding Fathers "Crowning" him the Originator. Which is cool because every borugh in NYC had their originator and as we know many came before Herc. But there's no doubt the Bronx won that war regardless.

Flash and Bam were only local hiphop icons prior to producing records. Therefore you can not mention their "world wide" Icon status without their music production because it was their music that introduced hiphop to the world.

Mostly correct. Only I'm not talking about who introduced Hip Hop to the world. Im talking about who instituted it. As in who brought the Four+ elements together into a single sub culture. DJing, Rap, and Graffiti already existed outside of NYC, so who made big records first is not a factor. (otherwise we can just go back to saying SHG invented Hip Hop and take a rest)

Again, I noticed there really was not any mention of BBoying, and Graffiti in this documentary. Hip Hop consists of more than just DJing and MCing. And both of those existed outside NYC at the time anyway. But it was still the Bronx which brought all the elements together into one sub culture.

Now, I happen to see that less in terms of competition between boroughs and more about youth on the street verse adults in the club.
pdidy 10:20 PM - 20 April, 2014
BBoying and Graffiti was so overshadowed by DJing and MCing that a lot of that history may remain lost.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 AM - 21 April, 2014
All I know is that the whole "Who had the biggest sound system made you KANG" is the absolute truth.

I remember when we took over the college scene. My partner at the time was on some "Get REALLY BIG speakers" kick, and I was the sound technician and main DJ.

I would go through a precise "ritual" when it came to setting up the sound too, nobody could help me from an "electronics" standpoint. They could only stack speakers. I was the one who modeled the sound a certain way, used certain records to do the sound check each and every time, and even couldn't stand to have a rectangular speaker "upside down", I had to have the labels facing the correct way, so people would KNOW that's a JBL, or Community horn cabinet...Like they cared..lol.

I ran all wires and decided on power distribution, and when we had a comparatively obscene level of sound, (not necessarily number of speakers either, as each speaker was optimally doing it's job), nobody was really even interested in IF we could actually mix...

It was the pure SIGHT of what we had at first, then the anticipation of the sound that would come out which scared competition from the door. We learned to face the rack towards the crowd, so they could "SEE" our "Power"....straight intimidation. I actually had to make myself practice because the crowd honestly didn't care anymore as they were completely mesmerized by the fidelity of the sound.

They speak the truth.
pdidy 2:25 AM - 21 April, 2014
Quote:
All I know is that the whole "Who had the biggest sound system made you KANG" is the absolute truth.

They speak the truth.

The big sound system competitions (sound clash) were influenced by reggae dj's who were competing with systems years before us. I went through the big sound phase for about 15 yrs before I switched to small powered speakers.

I cant even imagine using Bertha subs for mobile gigs as the Disco twins did.....smh
AKIEM 3:04 AM - 21 April, 2014
Quote:
BBoying and Graffiti was so overshadowed by DJing and MCing that a lot of that history may remain lost.

true - but there is still much story to be told.

For the longest, I would here Graff started in Philly, without any proof till more info about 'Cornbread' started being documented.
pdidy 3:18 AM - 21 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

For the longest, I would here Graff started in Philly, without any proof till more info about 'Cornbread' started being documented.

Naaa....these guys were the originators
encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:24 AM - 21 April, 2014
Quote:
I cant even imagine using Bertha subs for mobile gigs as the Disco twins did.....smh

^^This! When dude said they had Bethas OUTSIDE aka a Mobile Richard Long system, THAT had to be crazy.

But now it's clear that they DID have legit sound outside aside from the mishmash of tying together different amps/speakers just to make it loud.

They had a mobile version of the loudest Club systems you could experience.....on city blocks and parks...

That's incredible.
AKIEM 3:38 AM - 21 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Naaa....these guys were the originators
encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com

agreed

nm