BUT VIRTUAL DJ DO ALL THE ABOVE THEN SOME
DJ Padida 7:00 AM - 13 April, 2014
Serato:
-can analyze multiple files per processor/core
-serato loads the waveform of a song instantly

Virtual DJ:
-only analyze 1 file at a time regardless the number of cores
-has to load the waveform of a song everytime
-runs like s*** with my ns7 & v7 on the mac side (underwater sound distortion)

Not hating on vdj it's great but the mac side could use a workout fx & stability wise.
Tenor 7:16 AM - 13 April, 2014
It's so funny I'm seeing this topic. I'm just coming home from a gig where someone brought equipment for me to play on because I just sold my NS6. He said he didn't have the SL interface, but I could play using VDJ.

-The interface is awful looking.
-I added a few songs to my iTunes playlist before leaving but VDJ didn't see it. I had to re-scan my music folder in VDJ. Serato detects it automatically.
-When I got to the gig, I plugged the gear in and no sound. It turned out that I had to manually configure the sound settings to get it to work. What a pain that was. Even after all that, I still had issues. It was just a nightmare that I never got working. Luckily, the person brought their Windows laptop.

I just finished uninstalling the software and have no intentions of putting this on my rMBP again.

To each their own I guess.
Tommy Deem 11:21 AM - 13 April, 2014
two things that are better in vdj are IMO, easy workarounds when problems, mean more win8 friendly, second the automix for backround playing.

Everything else instead sdj does better, it supports win8, even 8.1 and if u have amd thats not a problem at all.

Sdj beats vdj in all other areas.

Vdj is a program which is between the two greatest software, sdj and traktor.
deejdave 9:49 PM - 13 April, 2014
Serato is a professional DJ application aimed at professional DJ's.

The majority of things that are mentioned as "better" when comparing VDJ & Serato often times have nothing to do with DJing. Autoplay (Or auto DJ as this is what the people asking for it are really after) literally has to do with EVERY other thing on the planet BUT djing. The argument is it gives you time to do OTHER things. While Djing let's worry about DJing. Having a song selecting program will also give you time to go mingle with the 16 year old girls too but.................... Another argument is Windows 8 support. I use Windows PC laptops for just about EVERYTHING in my life but I keep them away from my DJ & music production applications. I absolutely love them but I feel there is no place for them in my craft. This is just my opinion BUT it is an opinion derived from years of trial & error. Other applications do work better with windows than Serato but IMO there is a reason for that too.

VDJ is aimed at the typical consumer with the idea that anyone can be a DJ. Being on the cutting edge of the industry you will find yourself more at home with either Serato or Traktor. As a beginner or a seasoned veteran without being too tech savy VDJ is for and makes it easy to get into digital DJing. Serato is and always be what you make of it.

I have 4 independent systems that run almost flawlessly with Serato DJ. I also have Traktor, VDJ, Rekordbox & Ableton BUT it is having all these options at my disposal that I have come to the conclusion that Serato is the clear best choice. Again these are all opinions and this is not meant to convince anyone that my ways are the only way. If anything this is to show that there the grass is truly greener on the other side. I started with PC laptops. I also started with Vidtual DJ (after years of TT's & CDJ's). BUT for me I had to step my game up after having quite a few successes followed by quite a few fortunate years. When my options opened up coincidentally my views & opinions changed too. Serato, Pioneer & Apple who were once enemies (because my funds did not match my ideas) became welcomed friends and I have not looked back since.
Tenor 10:23 PM - 13 April, 2014
@deejdave

Well said.
Sounds By JB 6:41 AM - 14 April, 2014
Virtual DJ vs Serato DJ from personal experience

In favor of VDJ:
- Extremely flexible (diy custom mapping, custom skins, whole scripting language)
- Midi mappable and Midi sync to other devices
- Use external inputs as decks

Not in favor of VDJ:
- Extremely arrogant company that has lost all sense of reality in their attitude towards their customers concerning anything having to do with the forever pending upcoming VDJ 8; their forums are heavier censored than a Chinese newspaper.

In favor for SDJ:
- Much better sound engine, better quality sound, lower latency
- Effects have better quality, less corny and are much more usable
- Well thought of DJ functionality
- Professional imago
- Company seems to have a vision and treats customers with respect
KlausMogensen 7:41 PM - 21 April, 2014
My experience:

Pro VDJ
- Stability is better
- Mapping /scripting possibillities are better
- Song library handling is better
- Very feature-rich and they all work pretty good (ie they don't crash the SW or cause major problems)

Pro SDJ
- Sound engine is better
- Effects are better
- Tighter jogwheel integration of supported controllers especially for controller-scratching
- Is much cheaper to buy than VDJ

So right now I use Serato for short sets and scratching or for playing around at home, and I use VDJ for mobile gigs where the SW has to run for hours without problems, and I don't scratch or use many effects

Best regards
Klaus Mogensen
deejdave 8:23 PM - 21 April, 2014
LOL may I ask what hardware you use? I am LOVING this "Serato is much cheaper than VDJ".......................... yeah for the beginners who don't even realize they already paid Serato with the base price of their beginner hardware THEN have to pay them again with the upgrade fee. Try purchasing Pro hardware and tell me Serato is cheaper than VDJ.

I am going to guess it is this same concept that has lead to the issues you face with the software. It is no coincidence that I have no issues with SDJ.................. I make sure of it.

So yeah what hardware and PC or Mac?
Dj Youkai 8:52 PM - 21 April, 2014
I was thinking the same also. "Serato is much cheaper than VDJ"???? I don't know about
that.
KlausMogensen 9:23 PM - 21 April, 2014
It is indeed much cheaper. VDJ is by far the most expensive one of the bunch.

Try looking it up - there are a few articles that lists this around the net.

For instance you can get a full Serato DJ with the new Reloop controller. You can never get a full VDJ version with anything. The upgrade prices for Serato DJ is also cheaper than for VDJ.

And if you just want to buy the SW, Serato is $129 and VDJ is $299

It hasn't always been like this. But Traktor dropped their prices a couple of years ago, so that you could bue it for $50 for at short period of time, and the full pro version came with every product, including $99 sound cards. Serato then used to be really expensive for SSL and Rane HW, but with SDJ has become very cheap. For instance you can get the full version with the new Reloop Beatmix for $299 (list price - it's not out yet). Thats the same price you have to pay for VDJ without a controller

VDJ has never drop their prices - so they are now the most expensive ones

Best regards
Klaus Mogensen
KlausMogensen 9:30 PM - 21 April, 2014
Regarding stability I've had a few crashes with version 1.3 when using it at home. I then waited for a while and upgraded to version 1.6. It gave me a couple of other crashes. I've never ever had a crash using VDJ 7.x. And I've used it a lot more an the same hardware (which is win7, intel i7 processer, 8gb ram BTW)

But this is hardly news. Just look at this board. Thare are stability issues with SDJ at the moment. But is OK - it's still fairly new. The stable Serato software is currently still the SSL versions. I'm sure that when VDJ 8 comes out (if that ever happens) it will have lots of problems too for a while, since it's said to be completely rewritten

So I'm not attacking Serato DJ. I actually like it. I'm just listing my current experiences with it :-)

Best regards
Klaus Mogensen
Dj Youkai 9:49 PM - 21 April, 2014
Wow. You're I just looked at the prices. Bundle for Serato DJ and Video is $199 .. if you want just Serato Video it's $149 .. Yeah.. But I'm waiting on Virtual DJ 8.. Im curious how that comes out. I started with Virtual DJ reason: Handles very well on AMD Chips. I can also play any video codec I throw at it even VOB files. Switch to Serato cause mostly everyone in Hawaii uses Serato. But I miss VirtualDJ So yeah.. gonna see if Virtual DJ 8 will be worth trying.
deejdave 10:32 PM - 21 April, 2014
Let's analyze this. You CAN NOT have Serato DJ without the hardware at all period!!! No matter what. There is NO SUCH thing as running Serato by itself. Furtherore the hardware for Serato is the most expensive hardware made period. NOW let's look at Virtual DJ. You can get it for free if you want. No such thing as a free version of Serato DJ. Even if you do choose to pay for it you can run it by itself with NO HARDWARE whatsoever. I can vouch for this being my least expensive way to open SDJ full is via my SL4 which cost me $800. Virtual DJ. The nice round number of FREE.

In terms of stability it's all about what you put into it. Point in case I use Mac this the reason for such a good experience. I wouldn't dare use Serato with my PC's. I love my Windows machines and use them for just about everything but my craft s too important to me thus I always use the best possible. You could probably guess what is not part of my setup though by my defensive nature LOL. If it wasn't free I would not even have it.

Quote:
And if you just want to buy the SW, Serato is $129 and VDJ is $299

May I ask what you plan to do with this software?? LOL. With VDJ you are good to go. With SDJ you CAN NOT open it even after buying it until you have the hardware. Think about this for a second.
Dj Youkai 10:42 PM - 21 April, 2014
@Deejdave You're Right.. I thought About it.. You're Right. :D
KlausMogensen 11:10 PM - 21 April, 2014
@Deejdave are you serious? VDJ is useless on a gig without a controller. The free version is just a teaser

VDJ is currently the most expensive software if you want the full versions - and most people that play gigs on a regular basis will. There is no way around it

And I'm pretty sure Serato knows. Thats why they have made it this way. And I'm pretty sure VDJ suffers for it.

Serato want to win marked shares for gig'ing DJs. And they are currently winning, hands down. Everything comes with Serato these days - both the consumer products and the prof. ones.

Every 12 year old who is just stating out runs a version of Serato now, or will be doing it the next time they buy a cheap controller. Dropping the price to way below VDJ is just a part of this

So my predictions is that VDJ will have it fans for different reasons, but in the near future Serato will be everywhere in the controller segment, just like they have been in the DVS segment - especially now that Traktor has chosen a different path

What I really don't understand is why you come after me in this way. All I did was list my experiences in a thread that looked like it had exactly that purpose.

Your reply is telling me that my laptops are bad, all my controllers are bad, and that I don't know how to lookup prices, even after I've DJ'ed like this for close to 10 years, since I made the switch to digital

Is hostility like this normal on the Serato forums?
deejdave 11:44 PM - 21 April, 2014
BTW VDJ Pro 7 FULL is the version I am speaking of that was FREE.

Quote:
VDJ is currently the most expensive software if you want the full versions - and most people that play gigs on a regular basis will. There is no way around it

No way around it huh? thepiratebay.se

EVERY single one there is the full version. Every single one is FREE and every single one can be used without hardware. I got my VDJ software paid for but if I didn't I would not have it. SO YES I AM SERIOUS>

LMAO at this whole post I can't I just can't. I have NEVER heard an angle quite like this. It's like you don't even know that most people who use VDJ got it for free.

Quote:
Your reply is telling me that my laptops are bad, all my controllers are bad, and that I don't know how to lookup prices, even after I've DJ'ed like this for close to 10 years, since I made the switch to digital

You know what you are right but the problem is....................... I stand by it. I simply won't have some dude tell me after I have spent over $10,000 in the past 2 yrs alone on Native Serato gear that it costs less than VDJ when I have VDJ full for the low price of $0.

VDJ is the cheapest option. It is just the way it is. Reason being the vast majority use cheaper hardware with it. As in if you are lucky enough to get a CDJ-2000Nexus or Pioneer mixer I can pretty much guarantee you will NOT be using VDJ...................... just a guess though.

You don't NEED hardware to run it. As a matter of fact the ONLY time I use it is to run karaoke (which I hate doing BUT my clients want it sometimes) and when i do trust me I don't map my nexus setup or DDJ-SZ or any other controller to it. Just push buttons like the rest of em.

Quote:
Everything comes with Serato these days - both the consumer products and the prof. ones.

You are correct on this but did you know you are paying for the Serato license whether you use it or not with these controllers. The thing is you don't get the full software standard until you buy a pro controller.

Assuming you want all the features just like VDJ has (FX, Video & quality keylock)
$249 controller (SDJ Intro only)
$149 video
$30 Pitch N Time
$50 FX packs
$129 SDJ full upgrade

= $607

This is for the lowest priced controller too.

To run the lowest possible VDJ solution it is $300 (if you pay) but anyone can get it for free with all the bells & whistles. Again this is possible because you don't need anything other than a computer to open the online VDJ players. With SDJ you are required to have the hardware.
deejdave 11:49 PM - 21 April, 2014
Quote:
VDJ is the cheapest option. It is just the way it is. Reason being the vast majority use cheaper hardware with it. As in if you are lucky enough to get a CDJ-2000Nexus or Pioneer mixer I can pretty much guarantee you will NOT be using VDJ...................... just a guess though.

Actually I have to retract this. Traktor is the absolute cheapest possible. Just like VDJ it can be obtained for free. It also comes with hardware (n.i. in particular) often but can be purchased for $99 and just like VDJ can be used without any hardware at all if the DJ wishes.

Rekordbox & Serato are the only ones that require you to have the hardware to use fully. Without hardware the only thing Either Rekordbox or Serato can be used as are music library management applications or media players unlike VDJ or Traktor which can be used as full fledged DJ applications with multiple decks day one sound card or not, controller or not, player or not etc.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:21 AM - 22 April, 2014
Wow so the Serato forums let you post torrent sites to the other software makers?? Really?!? That's a pretty stupid thing to do bro, even you gotta know better then that......

So really your mad at VDJ and Traktor because I wouldn't have to buy hardware to use it?? That's really how you come across Dave unless I'm missing something??
deejdave 3:39 AM - 22 April, 2014
As I said I would NEVER do so (hence the "I got my VDJ software paid for but if I didn't I would not have it") nor would I encourage others to do so but the point is it's there whether I or anyone uses it or not....................... they do though. It's up to people if they want to run the risk of participating in illegal activities as well as running the risk of virus's etc. which is a HUGE risk with all pirating sites. I was at no point suggesting anyone do so either. I am firmly against it to be quite honest. I feel all developer Serato, Traktor, VDJ and all other for that matter deserve the hard earned money that comes in from the software. I have also been a firm believer in Serato's policies and business handling. The way they operate (as in having to have the hardware to open the online player) is what puts them above all others when it comes to this topic and is why they should continue to do so. BTW these are the golden rules here
- Be nice to others.
- Not pass yourself off as an employee of Serato, or an employee of any Serato business partner.
- Not post advertisements for any product or service.
- Not post any contact details.

and believe me I am in no way advertising anything here and am furthermore advising against it. Again they exist whether or not you know about them.

I am in no way mad at either Traktor or VDJ. It's quite simple. I am not even pretending to say if one is better than the other. I am simply saying VDJ is in no way shape or form more expensive than Serato. Simple as that. I even said I use Traktor so it's kind of funny that you got "I am mad at them" out of that.......................

I always try to be nice to others but I absolutely don't like when people take facts and turn them into opinions as well as taking opinions and try to pass them off as fact. It's been like a spreading disease around here lately.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion BUT when it comes to actual monetary concepts there is much need for fact. You wanna say VDJ is the best .................. go right ahead. I don't agree but hey. You prefer Traktor more power to you I have come to respect them in my later years. We want to pretend that VDJ is the most expensive software to run that is where I will make my stand. I know how much I spent to run it (admittedly I have gone overboard) but I also know the minimum.

Does this make a little more sense of it?
Sounds By JB 7:09 AM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
BTW VDJ Pro 7 FULL is the version I am speaking of that was FREE.

Quote:

No way around it huh? thepiratebay.se

EVERY single one there is the full version. Every single one is FREE and every single one can be used without hardware. I got my VDJ software paid for but if I didn't I would not have it. SO YES I AM SERIOUS>

Nice.. the world just got a whole bit easier. I think ill go to the grocery store and take a few steaks and beers because they all of a sudden got to be FREE (if I just walk away with them without paying). Or better, I'll use some bogus credit card to buy me a great controller with Serato .. for FREE. Wait.. there is a better word for it.. not FREE.. but STOLEN.

Most people here on this forum are serious enthusiasts or professionals who BUY stuff. Trying to win an argument by saying its cheaper because you can also steal it is not particularly gonna work.

As for the prices... (presuming we don't steal)

Getting the hardware out of the equation, since the Serato version shipped with the hardware is often not usable with other controllers. And VDJ LE gives variable discounts etc etc.

VDJ: $299 (recently dropped)
SDJ: $129 + $149 + $29 + $49 = $306

With some notes:

- In true comparison, to really get a similar offering, you'd have to take the effect packs out of the equation. Whatever effects you get with VDJ or are downloadable from their site, none come even close to the quality of the iZotope effects.

- VDJ never ever stunts with their prices. Serato does this all the time, with a little patient you can get a good discount on all items in the list.

- VDJ license is, still, lifetime free upgrades. While obviously positive, it also comes with a few downsides as well. First off, when they have your money, there is nothing more to sell you, that is the worst position as a customer to be in, since you are no longer interesting. That is the moment you publicly start calling your customers, that wonder about the status of VDJ8, trolls. Secondly its a greedy very hard to sustain business model with non recurring and very fluctuating revenues. Considering the fact that their OEM sales dropped to a historical low (meaning less conversion to full licenses as well) i'm pretty sure that the companies future all depends on the reception of VDJ 8. It seems to be an all or nothing bet.
deejdave 6:47 PM - 22 April, 2014
OMG I never said it was free because of this. I am saying this is the other huge problem they face and is one of the reasons for its wide use.

In retrospect I ABSOLUTELY should not have posted that but with certain people it gets a little frustrating as there is no way VDJ is more expensive any way you look at it. Not only was it cheaper in his eyes but MUCH CHEAPER??? Literally didn't know if he was trolling or whatever but he did get under my skin admittedly being the amount of money I have dropped on this entity. WHICH is why I take pirating so seriously and have even reported in HERE twice before.

Again that was for reference as it exists regardless but in retrospect probably not the best idea. TBH I never even considered others looking at this thread.

As far as VDJ 8 haven't they been pushing that off forever. Like a ridiculously long amount of time?

In your comparison I am a little confused as to one part? How are you running that Serato at the quoted $306............................ because without hardware there is NO WAY to open the full decks. This has been my point the entire time. In contrast you can open & run VDJ from the get-go. Day one after the $299 (which I believe it has always been, NO?) you are good to go if need be. With Serato no matter what you will need that hardware. Correct?

And I would NEVER presume anyone here steals as it's simply not possible here which is one of the true benefits here. Always has been and IMO ALWAYS should be.
Dj Youkai 6:49 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
OMG I never said it was free because of this. I am saying this is the other huge problem they face and is one of the reasons for its wide use.

In retrospect I ABSOLUTELY should not have posted that but with certain people it gets a little frustrating as there is no way VDJ is more expensive any way you look at it. Not only was it cheaper in his eyes but MUCH CHEAPER??? Literally didn't know if he was trolling or whatever but he did get under my skin admittedly being the amount of money I have dropped on this entity. WHICH is why I take pirating so seriously and have even reported in HERE twice before.

Again that was for reference as it exists regardless but in retrospect probably not the best idea. TBH I never even considered others looking at this thread.

As far as VDJ 8 haven't they been pushing that off forever. Like a ridiculously long amount of time?

In your comparison I am a little confused as to one part? How are you running that Serato at the quoted $306............................ because without hardware there is NO WAY to open the full decks. This has been my point the entire time. In contrast you can open & run VDJ from the get-go. Day one after the $299 (which I believe it has always been, NO?) you are good to go if need be. With Serato no matter what you will need that hardware. Correct?

And I would NEVER presume anyone here steals as it's simply not possible here which is one of the true benefits here. Always has been and IMO ALWAYS should be.

100+
deejdave 7:17 PM - 22 April, 2014
I don't want this to come across that I hate VDJ users or even judge anyone for doing what they do. It's just been a mess around these forums with false (or possibly in this case not thought out) information trying to be passed off as fact. For the most part everyone here has valid points and even with opinions I let it be.................... because I don't get to decide what's best for others. The part I can't just sit by and watch is fabricated information being tossed around to attempt at the concept that something is better than the other. When it turns out to be false it not just means you are wrong about that specific part but could possibly be wrong with your entire point.

Dead topic at this point but UNLESS someone can argue I leave it at this. The CHEAPEST possible setup to have SDJ full with video (even without FX, Pitch N Time, Serato Remote, etc.)
is:

Pioneer DDJ-SB, Vestax Typhoon, etc. $249
Serato DJ/Video upgrade (which is required) $199

= $448

NOW correct me if I am wrong here as BOTH are required to have SDJ Full with Video

With VDJ:

$299

= $299

Now we already know the answer and this was the poit I was trying to make from the start. I apologize if I offended anyone (that was not the intention) and let's move forward. This is a thread to explain the differences of VDJ and SDJ. I would NEVER attempt to tell anyone they were wrong for their opinions as long as they keep it honest & factual.

- CARRY ON
WildcardX 7:36 PM - 22 April, 2014
Uhm, don't want to be attacked here, but I know people running cracked Serato DJ 1.5.2 I think on Mixtrack Pro that they got off torrents putting it in just the same way as you can get VDJ 7.XXX. Also i think I may have come across a cracked version of 1.6 hovering around the net, I just rather pay for it and not have no issues due to the way it is authenticated online. (Runs for cover)
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:52 PM - 22 April, 2014
Welcome to the crack world Serato....... It's always been there since like 1.3 I believe.

Looks like there all in the same boat now......
deejdave 7:53 PM - 22 April, 2014
LOL Understood. YET still gotta have that hardware NO MATTER WHAT. Still on same point. That makes it $0 Vs. $0 BUT you STILL gotta have that hardware to open the online player.

There is no TRUE hack proof method without involving some physical means. Whether it be iLok or dongle etc.

BTW I knew that it's just that I figured that be dangerous info around here LOL.
Quote:
Welcome to the crack world Serato....... It's always been there since like 1.3 I believe.

1.1 Actually

STILL gotta have that hardware. Similar boat but WILL NOT happen without spending something. Agreed?
deejdave 7:55 PM - 22 April, 2014
If we wanted to look at it as even we still have to factor in the $249 for the lowest controller.

GOD this has turned into a mess LOL CLOSE THIS NOW LOL

Seriously though CLOSE THIS!!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:03 PM - 22 April, 2014

WildcardX 10:06 PM - 22 April, 2014
It could be a relative cost benefit thing I guess where it gives the illusion of seemingly costing less in one aspect but the other equally important aspect is not considered. I think after reading the comments here I am also guilty of it as well.
dawg1306 1:10 PM - 23 April, 2014
No , dont close this thread yet.... its hilarious !

Hey, consider this thread a DJ battle WITHOUT turntables........LOL
Sounds By JB 3:04 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:

Just browse the Digital DJ tips archives.. It does deserve a place in the list op most epic software planning failures all time, could have also been a trick to lure investors.

NOVEMBER 4, 2011: 'Virtual DJ 8 is just around the corner, and promises to be the biggest leap forward for the popular DJ software platform so far, according to its makers Atomix'

MARCH 22, 2012: 'World Exclusive Digital DJ Tips has seen a sneak preview of Virtual DJ 8'

JUNE 26, 2012: 'Exclusive! New Hercules DJConsole RMX2 To Ship With Virtual DJ 8'

No VDJ with the RMX2.. since than Hercules switched to another program..

APRIL 1, 2014: 'Virtual DJ 8 Exclusive Screenshot' (but no nada release ;P)

But if you are a VDJ user, don't say this out loud on their forums, your post will be removed and you will receive private threats from Atomix staff.
deejdave 5:10 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
But if you are a VDJ user, don't say this out loud on their forums, your post will be removed and you will receive private threats from Atomix staff.

That's EXACTLY what Ive been hearing yet I've NEVER been there!!

THIS is why when people call Serato "the worst" support team in the industry I'm like ?!?!?! I men I though this was public knowledge NOT to mention you can clearly see the censorship here is NOT what it is over there.............................. hence this whole entire thread LOL.

Quote:
APRIL 1, 2014: 'Virtual DJ 8 Exclusive Screenshot' (but no nada release ;P)

Was there in fact a screenshot or just s claim of one. If so how did it look?
deejdave 5:21 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
No , dont close this thread yet.... its hilarious !

Hey, consider this thread a DJ battle WITHOUT turntables........LOL

I'm fine with EVERYTHING else. Even agree with some of it. Just could NOT let the price part go. Only because there is no room for opinions there.

DON'T get me wrong I love healthy competition and I DO hope VDJ 8 comes out as well as I hope it is awesome. NOT that I will use it but it offers a fair comparison and may lead to future upgrades to out software here. I mean as we stand we are left with "Add automix" or "add song preview" which are the two most common requests that were though up by comparing the two. It MAY help some but the majority are looking for more DJ related updates. That being said the comparison brought up earlier in this thread (even with KlausMogensen with the exception of the pricing) were actually relevant and thought provoking. If ANYTHING is taken from this thread I hope it is that.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:25 PM - 23 April, 2014
There was a screen shot. Come man you really think they'd mock up a picture?? Seriously??

And who cares how long it takes, I mean shit Serato didn't do shit for the video side for almost 2 years!! Even know the updates have been far and few in between. Hell GTA5 took a couple of years, so what.

Now as for not being able to mention it on the forums, look at it like this. It's their policy to not tell when it will be released yet day after day after day you have idiots asking the same dam question, "when is 8 coming?"
Yeah I get it, everybody wants the next new thing but it's there software and policy to not give out those details yet some jackass asks everyday.

Wouldn't you get tired of it??

Some of you guys just don't seem to live in reality here, commen sense can go a long way........ Flame if you must but let's not ignore the facts here......
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:27 PM - 23 April, 2014
And as far as being removed or having private threats sent to you, I'm calling total bullshit on that cause I see the same people asking when's 8 coming out for months now!!
Dj Youkai 6:17 PM - 23 April, 2014
Virtual DJ 8
Watchwww.youtube.com
deejdave 6:19 PM - 23 April, 2014
Absolutely would get tired of it. Don't get me wrong that was for my information only. I don't pretend to know from experience and would never claim otherwise. I didn't mean was there a mockup screen shot I was asking if they provided a screen shot or just said there was a screen shot coming type of thing LOL.

As far as the cencorship though THIS I have heard multiple times from multiple people. I am even willing to test this theory. I am also guessing this entire conversation could NEVER occur over there.

Many opinions are being made here and as long as we are defining what IS opinion and what is fact there are no fouls being committed here.

The Price thing was neither. It was flat out false information being passed as fact. We got past that and gladly are now on a better topic. THIS is where we get back to mostly opinions being the thread is basically stacking Serato up against VDJ.

Most of us are speaking from experience. I started with TT's & CDJ's. Then went to VDJ / PCDJ as did many/most digital DJ's. It came a time for me to upgrade and I went with Serato.I have since taken a stab at just about as many DJ applications as there are. From SSL, SDJ, Itch (No SDJ Intro though as I have no need for one of those controllers), Rekordbox, Mixvibes, Traktor & VDJ.

FUN FACT: I happen to have a 85,000 song library 100% SYNCed between all versions of Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox (Mixvibes Cross as well obviously). It is also useable with VDJ if being used on the PC (which happens to be the ONLY time I use VDJ being for Karaoke). This includes all cue points, beat grids, loops, comments, keys, etc. being 100% SYNCed across all apps as well. Also workable on PC or Mac Obviously.

The point with the library disclaimer is my experience is as leveled as it could be across all applications. No biases like better songs being used or easier songs to mix etc. This gives be a completely fair and unbiased comparison of all applications mentioned. I can promise you my experience with SDJ has been better. At this point not FAR better but definitely better. The second being Traktor which is followed by Rekordbox. I measure this bu features and useability. Stability is not an issue for any of the apps for me. I personally make this a realty by always having the best environment possible. I purchase a new MacBook Pro every 8 months or so and keep it away from anything NOT related to DJing or music production. Don't take that the wrong way I LOVE PC's just not when it comes to my music applications. We can argue this all day (Hoping we don't have to) but bottom line is any one of my MacBook Pro's (from 2013 down to 2007) outperforms my Windows machines any day with all applications in mind. Serato seems more platform specific than the rest but the same applies for all applications (except for VDJ which seems to favor Windows coincidentally LOL). Luckilly I would never expose my MacBooks to Karaoke (which I happen to hate HAHA) so this works out perfect.Whenever I have a Karaoke gig I have two Windows PC's with me to run it. (one as backup) along with two MBP's to run the main course.

I dunno this may be just all personal experience and NOT speaking for the majority BUT I feel I have enough experience and hardware to make some valid conclusions & assessments.

Professional DJ - Serato or Traktor

Hobbyist or beginner - VDJ, Djay, or even Mixvibes all day!!

Not saying this is the ONLY way but I am guessing this applies to many.
deejdave 6:23 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Virtual DJ 8
Watchwww.youtube.com

MY GOD!!! Just look at the comments below it LOL. Again seems like we are hearing from the masses aka the majority.

FOR THE RECORD: I refuse to lower myself by restating these accusations or insults as I try to base my opinions on fact alone. I am just saying the facts for the actual users seem to be negative.
DJ CHILL1964 4:38 PM - 27 April, 2014
now I have tried serato scratch live serato dj & virtual dj & my choice is virtual dj because with serato you have to pay for every add on including video, virtual dj everything is included
dj j greezy 8:11 PM - 18 July, 2014
I started out with vdj it has glitches as far a sound and loading also used serato dj the only prob I had was controller connections. wish you could have a compatable song function like vdj but over all serato runs and sounds better but really to each his/her own
Davideon 8:13 PM - 18 July, 2014
What's the compatible song function?
deejdave 8:59 PM - 18 July, 2014
VD basically tells you what to play. Harmonic mixing goes a long way but the again that takes effort.
Davideon 6:35 AM - 19 July, 2014
My god, I feared as much.

Half the reason I got into djing is because I wanted control on the music played and the direction it went. Vdj clearly isn't dj software
Tommy Deem 1:03 PM - 19 July, 2014
Yes it is, they just have put some effort to playback and continous playing system. It dosent take away your infulence to music...
deejdave 2:17 PM - 19 July, 2014
I would say that is exactly what the compatible song function is leaning to do. It s still up to you whether to play recommended songs but I mean come on ............................. how do you think the users will generally deal with influence?
dj j greezy 5:38 AM - 22 July, 2014
Yeah the ability to seach songs no matter what file you are in is a plus for vdj and the compatable song functoin is a bonus if your looking at 100,000 song plus just gives you options. But serato sounds better and runs smoother
DJ CHILL1964 12:11 PM - 25 July, 2014
listen I have been djing since 1979 and the quality of the dj is not based on the software or the equiptment it it is based on the skills, knowledge, talent of the dj behind the set
deejdave 4:27 PM - 25 July, 2014
I wouldn't say a DJ's skills are BASED on what software they are using. I would say it is directly related though.

Take 3 DJ's using three different applications. If all three have perfect sounding mixes we can assume that ALL three know what they are doing right? yeah....................

Now let's say:

DJ #1 is using Mixmeister

DJ #2 is using Virtual DJ

DJ # 3 is using Scratch Live

Which is the ONLY one that guarantees that the DJ actually knows what they are doing? Mixmeister does the entire mix for you. Virtual DJ SYNC's everything for you. Scratch Live does none of these for you. Again NO guarantee but a VERY good chance this is the way of it.

This is a simple statement which obviously is not debatable but again things are not quite this simple as Scratch Live is no longer the flagship app of Serato. Serato DJ now brings the SYNC to the table along with some other automation. I find it easier to just accept things so again hating is not what this is about. As always I will try to keep things to facts instead of introducing opinions. Case in point and this I can guarantee you will all understand I mean no harm................................ My father retired and started looking into DJ apps. He saw Traktor & Serato and thought they were too advanced for him. He later wet to Virtual DJ because of its simplicity & automation. He then moved onto VDJ Studio as VDJ had too many features he simply did not use. He now has moved onto Mixmeister as he is in it for the music not the mixing. He puts on a great show but we are obviously two different caliber DJ's. Now who is BETTER? Not that simple as it's about what you prefer. Ask a 50 yr. old and he would probably say my father as the mixing is NOT what they are looking at So the beginning is facts and the end is opinions. That is where I step off.

I am trying to be less of a hater in my later life and excepting of VDJ, Mixmeister, etc BUT it is not a good representation of the community when typically the users of a given software are generally only asking for Pre-Listen, a better SYNC, Auto-Mix, Auto Select, Auto Headphone,

Quote:
based on the skills, knowledge, talent of the dj behind the set

I guess this is the one part I have to pick apart. My whole argument is simply that you are forgetting that some DJ applications do not require ANY of these.

I will end with this last piece. I once did a little experiment at a party I was at. I set up a laptop with Virtual DJ, a laptop with Traktor & a laptop with Serato.

I then introduced a group of girls to Virtual DJ and they ALL were able to figure out (on their own) how to use VDJ as it is aimed at being user friendly with only minimal computer knowledge being needed.

This same group was introduced to traktor (after VDJ so they had SOME knowledge of DJ software now) and maybe two figured out on their own while the other 2 (or 3 can't remember exactly how many people) needed some guidance and after showing them what does what they all had it down (not all that great but enough as this was about 10 minutes LOL).

I then introduced the SAME group to SSL and NOT one was able to figure it out. After about an hour (again this was a private house party of mine) still not one had it. I then asked anyone to try to get it and only one person was able to who was a boyfriend of one of the girls who apparently had a DJ background.

I mean this is as simple of a test as it gets. This was a 3 hr total ordeal and is in no way meant to replace the experiences & learning capabilities of a determined DJ on their own BUT it sure is a good indication of what's what.

Again this is not meant to hate as everyone is entitled to use what they want. This also does not determine anything nor does it label anyone. The BEST DJ in the world can use SSL just as easily as they could use mixmeister BUT I firmly believe it could NOT possibly work the other way around. The WORST DJ could use Mixmeister or VDJ but could NOT use SSL. I hope this makes a little sense and furthermore I hope you can see where I mean well and not any insults. If you do not believe me then you are suggesting that I mean to insult my own father..................................... I would never. I am very fortunate in my life. I have my own home in a wonderful community here on Long Island NY (Smithtown, 11787) with many other blessings and it all started with my parents those 31 years ago so TRUST me I mean no offense to my father. He is the best man I have ever known and I am honored to assist him with DJing. As a matter of fact it's one of the best forms of bonding we have ever had.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:20 AM - 26 July, 2014
I wanna know (which you made no mention of) is if you had hardware set up with all 3 laptops??

Obviously you had something with SSL but since the other 2 don't really need it of course it would be harder with SSL, even more if none of these women have ever touch or even tried to use a turntable. Hell I bet if you had that MixMeister controller hooked up they wouldn't have got that thing either........

Setup all 3 again with turntables/mixer and I'll bet they struggle with any of them.

Sooooo was there hardware hooked up wih VDJ or Traktor??
deejdave 5:08 AM - 26 July, 2014
Traktor yes same hardware as SSL. VDJ No hardware. To me the hardware only makes it easier no? I mean it would have turned into select song. Press play then hit that same button that put it all together for you.................. then blend. NONE of these women EVER used a turntable but that was the exact point of the little experiment. No prior experience needed at all to run VDJ. Even do a few FX (which sounded horrible but still LOL).

The point was to see if they could beat match or have halfway decent blends....................... eg do some mixing. By no means did any of this sound polished or professional but the point remains. Again this is not a hate thing. Years ago YES I admit it but I see no point recently. Just an observation which happens to be fact. VDJ is a very user friendly interface that makes it quite easy to get things going. As a matter of fact it is what I started on ......................... well that or PCDJ I can't remember as they were both on the same day LOL. I then moved to Traktor then to SSL. Pretty close to the opposite of my father.

I didn't even know there was a mixmeister controller TBH (I am gonna have to let my father know) but I mean again the GUI & layout of the software itself is self explanatory and simple. Admittedly things can get quite advanced but I am talking basic operations. That is all any of the above was. Basic operations. In the end when you consider the actual sound of a mix it will be all on the DJ. YES things can get automated but it is still up to (or should be) the DJ to decide what goes with what and when nut the point of all this was that YES the software of choice can in fact make a nobody at least SEEM like they halfway know what they are doing. That is all. Not trying to take anything away from anybody.

BTW not for nothing after playing around with VDJ 8 I can say there is one function I thought was really neat. The ability to route master to the laptop speakers and the headphones to the line out (headphone jack) of your laptop. SOOO many routing options with VDJ.
explicit408 7:50 AM - 16 September, 2014
Wow, I just tried VDJ 8 with my VCI300mk2/VFX-1 and I am impressed. Compared the sound and jog wheel tightness to SDJ 1.7 back to back and I could not tell them apart. If anything it seemed like VDJ has a punchier sound and tighter control. I even like how the gain knobs control the gain setting in the software. The waveforms are still crappy compared to SDJ's but the software runs smooth on my windows laptop. Anyone else play with it?
Deejae Smooth 8:28 PM - 16 September, 2014
From my experience, VDJ seems more suited for a PC because I think it was originally written for PCs before a Mac version was written.

I tried VDJ on a Macbook Pro for a few months and it had glitches that didn't seem happen to people running it on a PC.

The opposite is true for Serato Dj/Scratch Live. I think that code base was originally written for the Mac back in 2004 and it subsequently runs better on a Mac vs a PC.

This is just my personal theory based on 5 years of using Serato products and 3 months using VDJ, all with various Macbook Pros.
deejdave 8:31 PM - 16 September, 2014
I have but I only used it on PC as well. I am able to run it on any of my PC laptops. I have yet to use VDJ on any of my MacBooks though as the Serato crates can not be read by the Mac version. It works great for sure. It is just not what I am looking for as my software of choice. Serato/Traktor/Rekordbox still seem the performance type DJ software. Have you ever used TT's with VDJ? I have only seen one DJ in my entire DJ career use VDJ with TT's and TBH I didn't even speak to him (even though I was the head DJ in charge of set times LOL) to ask. Possibly because of the VDJ.......................................... admittedly at the time I had a sort of Serato ego thing that I have since lost. I am now willing to try pretty much anything and my options are pretty much always open. As I said after trying out VDJ 8 I still prefer the three I mentioned earlier.
Jumbo Boogie 4:42 PM - 17 September, 2014
The one feature I wish SDJ had that VDJ does...is bpm range search. Would be dope if I could even create a smart crate with a bpm range.
Deejae Smooth 5:31 PM - 17 September, 2014
yeah I do remember that VDJ had a better system for creating smart crates; much more flexibility.
deejdave 8:31 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
The one feature I wish SDJ had that VDJ does...is bpm range search. Would be dope if I could even create a smart crate with a bpm range.

Wouldn't sorting by BPM then browsing by BPM be just as effective?
Deejae Smooth 11:43 PM - 17 September, 2014
no because you could tell the query to only show BPMs in a certain range and so forth.

Serato Dj could learn quite a few things from VDJ on creating smart crates.
BARRY SCOTT 11:59 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Wouldn't sorting by BPM then browsing by BPM be just as effective?

At a basic level perhaps, but with a large and varied library the smart crates are just that, smart and updated live.
So one smart crate for untagged files, once it's tagged you won't see it in the untagged crate ever again, it can be found in another more suitable smart crate.

Also you can set multiple filters
bpm difference +/-8 & genre includes "breaks" & comment include "charty"

It's not the machine picking the music for you it's just reminding you what you've got, who can be arsed remembering every track in the database.
deejdave 12:29 AM - 18 September, 2014
Nah I'm not saying it is better or just as good I more or less meant as a workaround. Definitely a great candidate for the feature request area though.

I have never been one for using smart crates. Actually LOL I have only made like two in my almost 7 years of using Serato.

I pride myself on my library (not saying any of you don't) and it's organization. I do as Barry mentioned a little. I use key words and comments as well as organize by Genre/sub genre & date of release so things don't get lost. If I make ANY playlist style crates they are only temporary as your "hot list" today will NOT be the same tomorrow. Again if I ever need a specific type song that WOULD typically be in a playlist I simply type the necessary code to access ONLY them. For instance if I want the hard hitting peak hour club hits I would type BTZ. If I want the club style (4/4 beat) latin I would type Latinz. I even use progressive codes to break things down like DJD, DJDM, DJDMM, DJDMMZ which actually breaks things down. As DJD would be large and when you finally get to DJDMMZ the list is small.

I ALSO use the color codes to reflect the energy level.

As a matter of fact (a little off topic) but this past year I was BLESSED with the color coded performance pads. This was particular important to me as I have color coded cue points.

Red = Intro (followed by # of measures)
Blue = Beat (main)
Green - Break (followed by # of measures)
Yellow = Buildup (followed by # of measures)
Purple = Trans (followed by # of measures)
Light Green = Outro (followed by # of measures)
Light Blue = Synth Solo
Pink (or salmon whatever it is LOL) = Vocal

This is extremely useful when using the DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SX2, Reloop Neon etc. as you can tell what's what in a song without even looking at the screen.
deejdave 12:30 AM - 18 September, 2014
Sorry for that little ............... whatever LOL. I figured it sort of had to do with it but YES I agree BPM range search would be great.
Deejae Smooth 11:24 PM - 18 September, 2014
From what I remember of VDJ, I would definitely say the smart crate functionality in that software is more powerful than Serato Dj.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:23 AM - 19 September, 2014
Stupid powerful!!
Mixing Desk 4:10 AM - 10 December, 2014
I have read through this entire post and have a few opinions of my own. First if it makes any difference I am a mobile Dj that mostly does weddings, private parties and have done some club work (but mostly weddings). I have also been using virtual Dj since virtual Dj 2.0 and I have been using serato (first itch, then DJ) since late 2011.

Before knowing anything about mixing, beat-matching, cueing, scratching, I played with a laptop and songs ripped from my cd's on virtual Dj. I eventually was able to be mentored AND LEARNED how to select and mix on the original pioneer CDJ100's

What I learned from those Pioneer CDj's and my mentor is that being a Dj is never about what you want to play, but about what makes the crowd happy! its about setting the mood for the client. Song selection, Timing, mixing, juggling and mic work are all important factors in being a good DJ. None of those things come from a software and they can only be improved on with practice and experience. It doesn't matter if you still use CDj's or just bring a laptop, hard drive and microphone. If the crowd is happy, dancing and the vibes are good. the DJ did a good job. For me its just that simple. We spend way to much time saying this is better than this. You wont be a better Dj based on the software you use. Being a good Dj Requires practice plain and simple.

With that Said I mostly use Virtual DJ. and here is why; When doing weddings as I mostly do I am often the Dj and MC. Virtual Dj allows me to "cheat" and have the software handle the heavy lifting so that i can concentrate on the Bride and Groom (After all they are paying me). If You are familiar with weddings and know if you don't have a second Dj with you that MC'ing and Djing can be very difficult, often times requiring you to step from behind the board for toast, prayer etc. However, I still have the flexibility to really DJ during the heavy dancing portions of the night. I can use my pitch faders, cue points, scratching, samples, etc to make the party lively. For my needs Serato Does not offer that capability. I.E. i cannot run to the bathroom when there is a downtime (dinner, cocktail hour etc). The music will stop if using Serato. With Virtual Dj I can set an automix. But Serato Does offer great features that in its own right serve other dj's well (many have been mentioned above so I wont repeat).

I use Serato and I use virtual DJ. Both have had problems in past versions:NS6 did not work well with serato Dj when first introduced and caused popping noise, Virtual DJ crashed in early release of virtual dj 7.0.2 but I can honestly say that both software I have used a lot and the current version are very stable (Virtual DJ 8 and Serato DJ 1.7). Both Programs run Extremely well and sound Great and have good response times. For me User interface makes no difference they both do the same thing.

I know that Virtual Dj has had a bad rap, and its because of young Dj's like myself who when they first started, felt that all they had to do was bring their laptop and plug in and their a DJ. It wasn't until i learned the Art of being a professional Dj that i unlocked the power of both Serato And Virtual DJ.and both programs are powerful DJ software interfaces.
deejdave 5:07 AM - 10 December, 2014
VERY fair post. Well though out. I'd say this is maybe this is biased toward mobile DJing (which out of fairness you clearly disclosed) but is surprisingly unbiased overall.

If I were to pick at ANYTHING it would be:
Quote:
Song selection, Timing, mixing, juggling and mic work are all important factors in being a good DJ. None of those things come from a software and they can only be improved on with practice and experience.

As current DJ applications CAN and DO help out with all but the first and last of those (Song selection & Mic work) which is what most of this is about. Furthermore the Song Selection part is something that is being slowly introduced into some of the DJ apps and will continue to influence more & more IMO.

I try no to "hate" on ANY dj apps so much anymore but I still prefer SDJ myself if nothing else for the hardware end alone.
Mixing Desk 4:00 PM - 10 December, 2014
While I agree with Deejdave that Dj applications can and do help with the actual mix, by providing tools such as sync, and can help by providing feedback to song selections. I ultimately believe that the art of djing and combining all of these things together is dependent on the Dj not the software.

For example I can sync two songs together in the software, and can get a recommendation about what song should come next, the software can even automix a song for me. But ultimately Knowing when to bring that song in (Dropping on the one, blending, scratching, at what point do you bring in a new song etc) comes from the Dj. If playing a remix do you wait till the rap hook? What is the mood you want to set? IS the next song appropriate? What is my crowd like? All these questions need to be answered, and the software cannot do that.

I put heavy emphasis on practicing and developing a style of your own. I also believe that you should listen to your mixes (which both the software allows you to record) so that you can learn and grow. Which is why i truly believe that good dj's are artist. This is something I did not understand as a young DJ. And ultimately hurt my credibility when I finally learned it.

When I first started Doing weddings I always had a crowd around me asking for selections. Now when I do weddings I don't take selections (unless from bride or groom). Its not because I am mean, but because as I grew and invested more time in understanding my clients and practicing my mixes; I inevitably played songs that had them excited and wanting to stay on the floor. As a result I had less and less people asking for what "they wanted to hear", I the Dj told them what they wanted to hear. I did not do that when i first started, I just payed the "hits" and thought I was doing a great job.

But now that i have learned it, and continue to grow, I can go back and use the software to Sync or look at the waveforms to align a track, or use the effects, or setup crates and playlist or whatever. Because I am looking to do whats best for the client. (after all we expect to get paid for our work)

If we step away from the program and say can this help me achieve what I am looking to create in an efficient, clean manner then By all means GO FOR IT! Both Softwares are now stable and work well ( a case can be made that they were not always this way).
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:53 PM - 10 December, 2014
Dave just hates VDJ even though his beloved SDJ is moving ever so close to it 😜

VDJ's power is in the scripting and being able to customize it, that is where it really shines.
beta one 5:15 PM - 10 December, 2014
Here's my current setup.. and I have to say I have been helped often by having 2 setups so that I have a working spare. I run Serato with a Denon mc2000 on my MacBook pro .. into my Audiphony DJInn. (American Audio Versadeck) as my analog mixer only. (XLRs out to my subs and mains). I run that into Channel 1 audio there. Also, I have a PC laptop running virtual DJ to handle dinner music and emergency backup if Serato hoses on me .. that goes into audio 2 of my DJInn. NOw.. I've got a way to have a couple of styles of music lined-up and ready on VDJ, and playlists for dinner music.. and I switch over to Serato when the evening's dancing starts up. I'm new to Serato and I'm still getting used to not having the "sidelist" or "stuff I loaded but didn't ever play" list that VDJ has. I've gotten used to creating a "crate" in Serato for stuff that people request. I really wish Serato would have an option to search "all music" from the search bar without first having to select the "all music" folder. I'm not asking that Serato have all the same features/utilities that VDJ has... it does what it does-- and well. I DO like the speed and immediate response of Serato and love the filters and smart looping.. they've saved me a few times when a track ran out before I was expecting it to! :) I'm really enjoying DJing again using the MC2000 with Serato DJ ! /endrant
shadow23 5:45 PM - 10 December, 2014
Just to pitch in on this subject. I have used Traktor, Serato and VDJ (in the exact s order). Personally I don't care which software has the most feature, powerful and cheapest out of the 3 I mentioned.

For me I look at how the UI works for me. And at the end even though my first ever DJ software was Traktor I find myself going back to Serato. A very good friend has VDJ7 and I played around with it for a couple of hours. To be honest I don't like it at all is my first impression.

VDJ is flexible just like Traktor. But I find that Traktor's mapping are easier for me than using VDJ's. Yes I know maybe if I actually spend time with VDJ I might discover that's it's actually okay to use.

But like I said I always look at how the UI works for me. And VDJ will have their fans but I'm not one of them. So I'm not gonna waste my money buying VDJ since I have no issues using Serato with weddings or with other venues. And if I really want to I can always use Traktor. But so far this year I had no issues using Serato.

Also when it comes to weddings I strictly state that I don't MC. Because I think to MC someones wedding you have to know the newly weds, their family and friends personally. And since I don't know them from a bar of soap I feel like being a car salesman and just jabber on with stuff that's plain and obvious but don't have personal experience with a vehicle at all.

So good for people who loves VDJ. I don't hate it But I'd rather not use it.
deejdave 6:47 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
Dave just hates VDJ even though his beloved SDJ is moving ever so close to it 😜

VDJ's power is in the scripting and being able to customize it, that is where it really shines.

I don't remember mentioning VDJ at all in my previous statement so not sure how I could hate. Furthermore I figured the statement
Quote:
I try no to "hate" on ANY dj apps so much anymore

was general yet specific enough being VDJ is in fact a DJ app and today is part of anymore.

Interesting that you got that out of that STILL though. Probably best to let it go no?

As I said for myself I am a hardware buff and IMO there is no denying Serato is the place to be for hardware. I can't remember a piece of hardware designed for VDJ lately (or ever) that I would actually want. I heard they are going hard on Serato's controllers though and just added the SZ and I DID just get in touch with Pioneer to get my activation key for VDJ. I already have a legal copy of VDJ but I always like to get what I am entitled to.

As I see Shadow23 is about the layout of the screen and such and I agree this is also where Serato excels but I again am a full blown gear whore. I like to have everything first and waiting for Traktor or VDJ to map hardware that was developed for somebody else's software is not what I am looking to do.

BTW in terms of the customizing and using the menu scripts (I think XML as well) and overall flexibility Traktor AND VDJ both shine. I use Traktor pretty regularly (just got the S8 ;) as well as Rekordbox. I do use VDJ but it is ONLY with Karaoke. As I have said before I personally do HATE (there's the word LOL) Karaoke and have done so for 7+ years so MAYBE the connection is a little unfair as well.

Please in the end be straight ............................... I do NOT hate VDJ................... anymore at least LOL. Again I try not to hate on ANY software. I feel like this would be the quickest way to miss out or limit oneself. I am even considering giving Mixvibes a whirl. Got the library 100% ready to go due to Rekordbox so why not right?
shadow23 7:04 PM - 10 December, 2014
Also to add one more thing that really makes me in favor of Serato is that for me when I buy a controller that is made for Serato it's always just plug and play.

When my good friend bought the Numark iDJ live2 and bought the VDJ7 it was a pain. I mean VDJ LE worked fine but when we installed VDJ7 (Pro) it really sent me on a twist. But once we got the mapping from the forum it worked great.

But that is where I really appreciate Serato. Everytime I buy a Serato hardware it's always been plug and play for me. Never did I mess around with the settings. I know it's not as customizable as Traktor or VDJ but when I buy a DJ hardware + software I just want it to play with very little to none messing about with settings.

Just my personal preference, Serato is the software for me and Traktor comes in a close second. Again it's just my personal preference. I do believe that VDJ is great but I won't use it unless I have no other choice.
deejdave 7:22 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
But that is where I really appreciate Serato. Everytime I buy a Serato hardware it's always been plug and play for me. Never did I mess around with the settings. I know it's not as customizable as Traktor or VDJ but when I buy a DJ hardware + software I just want it to play with very little to none messing about with settings.

I can relate to this actually. I depend on my hardware more than my software ...................... I think. I mean I always wish I could get a real candid video without me knowing of myself in the mix. I tend to rely on the capabilities of the hardware. I think one of the main factors is I also tend to use quite a bit of different apps. so the one constant would be the hardware. Even when I use Traktor I tend to alter mappings to emulate Serato which is something that happens on the regular from developers in charge of mappings anyways.

From skins to mappings I feel like Serato and it''s hardware is the most often emulated. I JUST found out today that my AMX is ALSO being supported by VDJ now........... Good stuff I suppose.
shadow23 7:30 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
I feel like Serato and it''s hardware is the most often emulated.

Same here
Mixing Desk 9:17 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:

Also when it comes to weddings I strictly state that I don't MC. Because I think to MC someones wedding you have to know the newly weds, their family and friends personally. And since I don't know them from a bar of soap I feel like being a car salesman and just jabber on with stuff that's plain and obvious but don't have personal experience with a vehicle at all.

While I respect your Opinion On this, I would encourage you to reconsider. Here In the NYC metropolitan area where I am From 90% of the wedding receptions Follow the same basic format. 1) Introduction 2) First Dance/ short dance set 3) Dinner 4) Toast 5) father Daughter/ mother son dance 6)Dance set 7)Cake Cutting 8) Bouquet and garter toss 9) cake is served 10) Final Dance set.

Knowing the basic format and being prepared for the event by meeting with the clients ahead of time getting selections, getting Peoples names and pronunciations, attending the rehearsal. etc help with not only the client but with the reception hall. Having a good MC manage the flow of people on and off the dance floor working with DJ and Reception hall is of utter importance. Having a relative do that in my opinion does not work. The reception hall ultimately gets annoyed and try to push you through on their agenda. The MC often frustrates me, the DJ, because they mix things up and cause problems. (I.E. MC Says play something to get the crowd on the dance floor, only to have the wedding hall tell you its time for Dinner and the music needs to shift) There is something to having a professional Handle Things with the Planner, reception hall and the Client to ensure great success. Family cannot do that.

If you offer this service it makes you not only attractive to new clients but to both the Wedding planner and to the Reception Hall. Being a preferred vender can increase your number of gigs significantly and partnering with good wedding planners is always a plus. By not offering to be an MC i think IMHO that you are limiting the number of sources for your revenue stream. being an MC does take skill and I would recommend for your first couple of gigs you bring a second DJ. But It is well worth it. I almost always bring a second Dj/ assistant and I handle the MC work unless the client is unwilling to pay for the second DJ.
Mixing Desk 9:35 PM - 10 December, 2014
@ Beta One. I used to do something similar when I started as well. But it does become cumbersome. While I believe in having a backup it Should only be used as a backup. Using your backup while at an event in essence means it is not a backup. Some useful things I do in Serato that may be able to help .

First I have an organized Folder structure. (I will not tell you how to organize your music library but having one organized that makes sense to you is of utter importance) Take the time to do this then backup everything.

Second as it seems you are a mobile Dj, use your crates to organize an event. Notice I said event not songs. Create custom crates for each EVENT you do I.E. Wedding, birthday party corporate party etc etc. Each of these events and clients require different set of Songs makeup and all have different elements to them. using your crates to help you in making it through the night can be helpful. And Remember NO Two events are the same So using Crates to organize an event make things alot Easier.

Third Use the prepare panel. The Prepare panel in Serato is often helpful for putting in songs not in crates that you came across Either by request or thought it was not the right time to use a song. Using this feature is helpful. (it is like the sidelist in VDJ).

Finally Take the Time to practice each mix in the crates. Just because its Dinner or cocktail hour does not mean you should completely neglect your the mix.

When You do this it takes more time getting prepared before the event but it does pay off at the event. Eventually you will find that you will have less and less request per event. (their is always one drunk person who annoys the DJ). Because you are taking the time to anticipate your clients needs and are planning out the event into crates. It will reflect in you delivery.
shadow23 9:58 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
If you offer this service it makes you not only attractive to new clients

No offence but if they don't like what I offer then they can find someone else. I'm not worried about getting more wedding gigs. Weddings are not my priority. I have more hip hop parties to do than weddings so not worried about not getting more weddings.

That's when DJs like yourself come in handy for me because I usually Palm them off if they want an MC. Here in Australia it's the same format but I always tell them in advance that I don't MC and don't do Karaoke.

If they want to go somewhere else that's fine by me.
beta one 10:07 PM - 10 December, 2014
@mixingdesk..: I appreciate your thoughtful and thorough comments; it is all very sound advice! VirtualDJ as my not-backup-backup machine will be my training wheels for Serato until I _really_ trust it. I've weeded out or repaired some lousy MP3's that have previously hosed Serato, and so far things are going well. I had two drunk-ish guys come to my booth at my last gig and they openly said (I love this) "YEP!, WE'RE -THOSE- GUYS (... who are gonna bug you all night) I loved that! It turned out they wanted a couple of songs that lit up the dancefloor, thanks to their dancing! And yes.. the number of on-the-spot requets tends to be low with me since I read crowds well and start to gauge them during cocktail hours, watching for feet tapping and heads bobbing, when I slowly ramp up the tempo.

Thanks again for your thoughtful post.
Heltino 10:33 PM - 10 December, 2014
in a nutshell:
there is no perfect software.
on top of this the initial approach of the developers gives a strong direction for a software.
In the perfect world you would combine all and the ultimate DJ weapon would be VIRTUALTRAKTORDJ.

I came from Traktor and changed 8 weeks ago to SDJ.
The reason for me was the arrogant behavior of Native Instruments and the total shitty hardware. As they stopped as well any cooperation with Pioneer and so on...I told them GTH.

yes. Traktor can some things better than SDJ...and yes, some things from SDJ are comparing to Traktor just PERFECT. strong points here, strong points there...

at the end I can say after 20yrs of DJing (wedding, mobile):
nobody ever gave a monkey what software or hardware I used...the music set was important and nothing else.
so the question of the question is pretty simple:
what software fits best in YOUR workflow and meets YOUR requirements.

and yes, VDJ is the most expensive one. latest if you do not need video...it´s terrible expensive.

I purchased a NS7II for 1050Euro. With SDJ on board.
I paid 20Dollar (sale!) for PNT, 49Dollar for effects...and I was done.

that is under the line 1100Euro for high end hardware and a full perfect software setup.

with VDJ it would have been, at least here in Germany, 1050Euro for the hardware and another 299 Dollar for VDJ. So more expensive.
AND even if I would need video: with the additional 149 bugs for serato video I would still be below this price. that is just a fact.
same for DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SX2....

but away from the money, here are some strange guys that tells the audience that you´ve paid serato with your hardware so that this is as well not cheap. YES. but if I go to VDJ I pay it AGAIN 300 bugs as VDJ is not with real serious hardware bundled.
so we don´t talk about software pricing...we talk about total pricing.
I don´t give a shit if serato is 999 dollar if the hig end hardware bundled with SDJ is in total 1050Euro.
who cares? use this hardware with VDJ and you will pay painful again....whatever SDJ was price tagged.

for me, without details, the picture is pretty clear:

plus for SDJ:
sound
effect quality
hardware agreements
support and forum
beta approach with user involvement
GUI is pro

minus for SDJ:
leak of midi
sync is not as perfect integrated as in traktor
charge for functions that are included at the competition (key lock: standard in serato is way bader as in traktor...get it could: pay. video: out of the box in VDJ...pay...)
but for this point please consider the price tags of VDJ. yes...for 299 dollar serato gives you as well the video included!!! the PNT is another story...that is just a charge that sucks.

plus for traktor:
most perfect sync on the market
real open for MIDI
a real bunch of effects free of charge

minus for traktor:
hardware sucks
collection management sucks
no flex grid (what is a shame with their perfect sync integration!!!)

plus for VDJ:
all included
massive open MIDI approach
cool collection management
works with the most hardware on the market (that is a real plus, here is no competitor even close to!)

minus for VDJ:
expensive
GUI is a toy (waveform must be a joke....the missing frequence separation is one thing, the choose of the colors gives me an assumption of heavy drug consumption of these guys. NO GO)
sound engine is not the best (you hear differences! tested with a DDJ-SZ. sound quality in the sequence that the best starts: SDJ, traktor, VDJ)
the sound quality of the effects is just GRAP (in clear words: never ever heared in my life such shitty effect quality.)
key lock is not state of the art
(out of the box traktor has the best one. beats SDJ and VDJ easy...with PNT SDJ is better than traktor....VDJ is always third place.)

so....please mix up yourself.
maybe the hardware support of VDJ in combination with the sync of traktor and the sound engine of SDJ...combine the collection management functions of SDJ with VDJ and call it UVSDJ.....PNT will be called VIRTUALMASTERKEYLOCKPITCHTIMETRAKTORSHIT.... :)

each DJ has to select what works best for him.
under the line you have to set priorities. "the best" software is just as matter of fact in a universal point of view impossible.
Mixing Desk 12:08 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
No offence but if they don't like what I offer then they can find someone else. I'm not worried about getting more wedding gigs. Weddings are not my priority. I have more hip hop parties to do than weddings so not worried about not getting more weddings.

Fair...
deejdave 12:23 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:

I actually missed this the first time around. You literally remind me of................... ME!! LOL Seriously though I actually feel the same way. My big issue is (I know this sounds corny) I am TERRIBLE at being fake. As in If I don't know you and do not GENUINELY care about your well-being (further than taking your money LOL) I have trouble expressing said feelings that are not really there. It is something that becomes a necessity though at times. When this time comes I have NO issues offering it but I will NOT be the one doing it. This "car salesman" type of individual are actually easier to find than DJ's ................. around here in the Long Island NY area at least. To DJ you must have SOME know how and talent in order to succeed. To be a successful MC...................... well I can't say I know for sure what is needed but it certainly takes some degree of acting and SOME (calling a spade a spade) being fake.

The cool part is I genuinely (whether I personally know you or not) want EVERYONE to have a good time................ just the type of person I am. From the bride/groom to the peeps handing out the food................ I want the ALL to have a good time. THIS is how I succeed with DJing.

Kinda rambling but it makes sense to me and in my head. A little hard to explain and I am NOT positive I did a good job of doing so here LOL.................. I tried though.
shadow23 1:20 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
y big issue is (I know this sounds corny) I am TERRIBLE at being fake.

+1

I always bring 2 microphones with me so anyone of the newly wed's family wants to step up they are more than welcome step up.
deejdave 1:30 AM - 11 December, 2014
Dude you are making me laugh. You are TOTALLY reminding me of me with everything you are saying. People come up saying "I think it'd be nice for [THIS] or [THAT] to be said" .................... that's when I say "I agree" and hand them the mic and say "ready when you are" LMAO
deejdave 1:37 AM - 11 December, 2014
Always prided myself on making a dance floor move without having to get on the mic. To be honest it probably stems from me not being all to fond of hearing MC's when I am out myself............... there are always exceptions to this but ................... yeah. LOL
Mixing Desk 1:55 AM - 11 December, 2014
@ Heltino good post.
@Deejdave and Shadow23.. I think you guys make good points.

What I have failed in remembering is that there are so many different types of Dj's and Events. Each needing to be matched together in harmony. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. Events, Clubs, corporate, Wedding, house party, HighSchool Prom, concert, etc etc. are all different venues that have different set of needs and require different types of Dj'ing skills. if We start talking about genre Then even different skills and techniques are required. House vs Merengue, Hip hop Vs. Techno. Reggae vs Country. All these Different Genres and crowds have different needs... Good points.

I personally am a Hip hop, RandB, soul, Caribbean (soca, Reggae, Calypso) Dj. So maybe my views as to what works and what is needed may be different than other Dj who play in different venues and Genres and have a different set of clientele all together.
deejdave 2:00 AM - 11 December, 2014
Agreed. Diversity is a great thing. As I said ALWAYS exceptions and I can say there plenty of times where an MC is 1000000% necessary. Just not my area of expertise is all.
Mixing Desk 2:09 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
"YEP!, WE'RE -THOSE- GUYS (... who are gonna bug you all night) I loved that! It turned out they wanted a couple of songs that lit up the dancefloor, thanks to their dancing!

Great way to handle it. Sometimes those people are actually the ones to keep the party going and can leave a good tip. LOL
shadow23 2:20 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
Dude you are making me laugh. You are TOTALLY reminding me of me with everything you are saying. People come up saying "I think it'd be nice for [THIS] or [THAT] to be said" .................... that's when I say "I agree" and hand them the mic and say "ready when you are" LMAO

Lol that's what I say too.
shadow23 2:26 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
I think you guys make good points.

Don't get me wrong, MC are sometimes necessary like deejdave mentioned but just not me. Usually when I do weddings the brother of the groom or bride takes the mic so I never had a problem.

That's why I'm upfront and mention that I don't MC or do karaoke.

I don't mind if they go somewhere else because I don't MC. One good thing about all of us independent DJs we can choose what venue to do.
BARRY SCOTT 4:24 PM - 11 December, 2014
VDJ has suffered an image problem, part of that is due to the design of the default skin (still) being made to cater for newbs (that's their business model, newbs keep the lights on). So as a user other than a newb forget about the default skin (there are many info rich sleek skins available)

Also sync, I know that sync is a 'best guess' beatgrids take no account of syncopation, many a newb thinks sync sorts it all out, it doesn't, you've often got to nudge into the 'sweet spot'. (Many a newb outputs a perfectly sync'd train-wreck)

The hidden beauty of VDJ is script, your HW runs via script the skin runs from script. You can set your HW to do everything other SW can do and many things other software can't. You can also set the display to show only what you want.
(High end scripting boarders on programming)
Many a DJ will say 'I don't want to learn skinning/scripting' fair enough, but avoiding a hard task just means something else becomes the hard task
Using 'stock' anything (mapping/skin) just shows some of the limits to your abilities.

Not forgetting VST(e)s, Glitch2, turnado, effectrix, loudmax, all studio quality stuff.
VDJ now reads serato cues these days too.
(serato's tags were pretty easy once I understood Base64)
SDJ needs to be a much more open system to even come close to VDJ. (My opinion)

Just for the record I'm a breakcore (to) triphop beatjuggler. I hate karaoke/mic work and I only use the video output for the Milkdrop plugin.
deejdave 5:07 PM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
VDJ now reads serato cues these days too

I was under the impression it had ALWAYS done this....................... just not for Mac.

All things considered I think you are accurate. I would also like to remind though that this is sort of the danger (without going into much debate here LOL) so to speak. I mean one day someone will program the software to do everything. IMO This does not make them a good DJ........................... It makes them a good programmer.

I have done code (HTML) and I am sure I could get into the programming end of this but in all honesty THIS is my separation between work & fun. programming & art.

I am by NO means a scratch DJ but I will say a proper (KEY WORD PROPER) scratch DJ will ALWAYS put me in a straight up trance of awe while a DJ who's set sounds perfectly on and pre-set (I think this is the basis of Sandbox if I am not mistaken) and quantized (maybe is the word but I hope you see where I am going with this) just loses my attention.

Being able to emulate an exact set by using same set times & parameters seems a little weird and in all fairness things are NOT quite like this yet............... but it IS theoretically possible. As the SOUNDINSURGENT suggested Serato is moving in this direction as well though. This is NOT a hate on VDJ so to speak alone. The thing is I do NOT use SYNC. Got nothing to prove I just don't. You also don't see me hating on SYNC either though. There ARE aspects (couldn't name off the top of my head but the SURE do exist) that I utilize that use timing and the beat grids. I just keep the overall big picture as me at the helm at all times is all. The main mix is being kept together by <<<<<<this<<<<< guy LOL.

Quote:
SDJ needs to be a much more open system to even come close to VDJ. (My opinion)

I can respect your opinion but trust this is your opinion. I personally disagree. While I am not the one to click the "HIDE SYNC and NEVER have it show up again" button I do believe in a line that shouldn't be crossed. In the end there should still be an art. I mean this is something we are fighting for. The day a kid straight home from computer class can pick up my DJ software and create a perfect sounding mix top to bottom will not be a good one. Not for nothing we are pretty much there already.

I am not a purist by any means. Hopefully I am not coming across that way. I also as I said don't hate on anything (anymore). There are uses and places for everything to a point. I suppose I am just trying to reserve that right when it comes to my software of choice.

I can promise you this. IF Serato "opens up" as you suggest they will take that SAME dark road VDJ did as there is a shit load of money in it. The newbs keep the lights on is an understatement. They probably pay every bill they have ever had since they started in one month. Is this reason enough to lose sight though? I mean business wise SURE it is............... how does that help us though?

Being you strike me as one of the more advanced users I'd like to take the opportunity to ask a question. What feeling do you get after reading their "mission statement" sales pitch www.virtualdj.com

We do have one thing in common though. HATE KAraoke LOL
shadow23 5:19 PM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
Using 'stock' anything (mapping/skin) just shows some of the limits to your abilities.

That's okay if a DJ wants to play around with settings. But for me I don't really want to sit there and learn scripting/skinning so that the DJ software will suit the way I like it to be. For me I'm after a DJ software that's all ready to go, a software that just works with minimum fuss (except activating it).

I build/modify my own PC and confident that I can learn how to use scripting with VDJ. But that's why I find any other DJ software to be not as friendly as Serato. For me what I want is buy the hardware and software together and just have it working with no hassle.

Kind of like having a windows laptop and a MBP. When I bought my DDJ SX2 and a Windows laptop, I still had to install the drivers (I know it's a simple task to do). But when I got my MBP, the SX2 was just simply plug and play. No need for drivers.

Now I get why so many pro DJs recommend MBPs. It simply just works with minimum fuss. I like my DJ software to be the same. When I pay for software I expect it to work with minimum hassles. Now for a DJ software that needs me to learn scripting/skinning so it works the way I like it to be is just a pain in the rear end.

The software just has to be ready to go after going through the initial process of activating it.
One thing I admire about Serato is that everyone can download it but you will need Serato supported hardware to be able to fully use it.

Unlike other DJ software, a person can use a hacked version and virtually use it with any hardware they have. I don't know about others but I'm a bit annoyed that the software I paid for can be used by someone who downloads a hacked version.

A couple of years ago before I even touched Serato, I was using Traktor at a birthday party. A younger cousin of a friend of mine was impressed with Traktor and asked me the name of the software. So I told him about Traktor and that I paid $199 for the software. He then replied "I'll just download it from Pirate Bay".

That just annoyed me that someone can just use the same software I paid money to use for nothing. Now I like to see anyone try to use Serato without the supported hardware. Maybe it's possible but I know that I haven't seen anyone I have come across has been able to use Serato without the supported hardware.
shadow23 5:20 PM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
but in all honesty THIS is my separation between work & fun. programming & art.

Well said!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:27 PM - 11 December, 2014
@Dave, it could read "crates" but now it can read the actul "cue points" that you've set in Serato.

And I know you don't Hate VDJ anymore so I was just giving you some shit 😜

Now as for the skinning and scripting, it's kind of VDJ's gift and a curse.

Yes both are stupid powerful and can be a bitch to learn (I still struggle) but when use properly things sound and look good.

It's kinda like the whole sync debate, if used PROPERLY everything still sounds good. Me I don't use except for my samples.......
deejdave 6:01 PM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
@Dave, it could read "crates" but now it can read the actul "cue points" that you've set in Serato.

WTF craziness!! My eyes SAW cues and it literally processed as crates in my brain (Isn't this the name of a group .......... cues & crates LOL keysnkrates.com) This is VERY welcomed news to me indeed!! I thank you both for this. Is this both Mac & PC and also are the crates viewable via Mac? Actually while I have you is this a simple import and select an option and voila they are there or is there some coding (scripts) involved?

This goes against my beliefs in that I generally suggest peeps research and read (and TRUST I shall later this evening) to be informed but I figure while I have you here I'd ask as this is actually a case of me having no idea I should even be looking for it. If anyone is gonna tell me about something VDJ has ......................... it might as well be you (@SOUNDINSURGENT) LOL. Not for nothing this is a perfect example of why I changed my stance/approach on alternatives over the years. I find myself more informed and well rounded by doing so. Anyways if you find the time those above questions are pretty damn important (to me as I am HUGE with cue points) so I'd really appreciate it.

I am actually going to look it up now.
Mr. Goodkat 6:24 PM - 11 December, 2014
'And more than half a million* new DJs convert to VirtualDJ every single month.
Surely there must be a reason...'

its free?
deejdave 7:23 PM - 11 December, 2014
Yeah *According to softsonic virtualdj.en.softonic.com What do you notice on this link............... don't cost a dime to run it "online" (as we call it here at Serato LOL)

That along with other stuff on that page irks me. I mean Not gonna lose any sleep over it but I do wish they would edit that page. It could be the approach and words that VDJ/Numark uses that gave be the bad taste (which I have gotten over) to begin with............ As in life most things are all about attitude. Be comfortable with what/who you are. Start comparing (and bringing up) other names and it says something about you.

Not for nothing I know this is normal this day & age but I personally hate commercials that mostly talk about other brands. Calling them out or saying HOW you are better.............. MEH

Just tell me about yourself is all. Not for nothing I click on VDJ Vs OTHER software and I see what @ Soundinsurgent/Barry Scott mentions above and you have my attention. You go "Serato & Traktor BOTH got it all wrong" and I personally USE and LOVE both................ you JUST lost me. Doesn't help by throwing names around like Tiesto or Carl Cox around when I know for a fact they do NOT use VDJ on the regular.

That's all I meant by bringing up that comparison page. Again not trashing VDJ. On the contrary give that a little facelift and you are now appealing to more seasoned DJ's. Then again it probably ties into what Barry Scott mentioned earlier about appealing (and being pre-set) for newb DJ's. I just can't get with that cocky startout attitude is all.

Give me a new DJ who is "ears open" looking for tips or a little know how and I will spill it all!!! Give me a new DJ who is trying to tell me I am doing it wrong, or he KNOWS better and I shut off

WELL I have successfully brought up like 50 other discussions here..................... sorry about that!! LOL Ehh I guess it all falls in line with the VDJ vs Serato discussion right?
BARRY SCOTT 8:05 PM - 11 December, 2014
@deejdave, I won't quote you but will reply to the salient points.

Automix, is bollocks (even amongst it's users) for actual high-end performance, it's a tool, like any tool use in the right circumstances it does a job, correctly used for cocktail hour at a wedding (not beat mixed) (make a good impression before the bride's maids are sozzeled) (I only use it to play new music while I'm fannying about at home tidying up)
So forget automix, it's part of luring newbies in, who'll soon learn it's not credible. (also include sandbox with this argument, pro's don't use it, they know their shit)

A newbie beating a time served DJ, it'll never happen if you keep learning. All SW is a tool, all HW is a tool, (I'm an electrician by day hence the repetition on tool analogy) I'm always thinking about new productive ways to use my tools.

The mission statement - reads badly I'll admit, I'm oldschool 12's dj, inability to beat mix should be a stopper to newbs, (it'd save a lot of bullshit mixing, Hardsytle djs F**K off you swaggots) but remember for VDJ newbies pay the bills

Hacking - a bit of a non sequitur, the shitty hacks of V8 actually lead people to pay for the real deal, I'd say it's quite safe to say most newbies will go the piracy option first (I've seen albums namecheck hacking groups for DAW hacking) Eventually working DJs will abandon the darkside.
I can knock up a midi device with the correct VID & PID for $20 serato isn't as secure as you think.

As for comments by others 'I don't want to learn script/skinning it's a chore' Think of the learning curve back in the 2*12's days (or my experience belt drive first set of gifted decks days)
Music structure, beat matching, gain, headroom, reading the crowd, crate digging, rig engineering, breakchasing, it's all a part of the craft (part art part science), and being a DJ is a vocation you're not allowed to stop learning, because if you do you'll be surpassed.

Serato is nicely packaged, I'll admit that, for an average working dj there's not much between the two, but for an advanced ddj (we've gone digital, it's 2013 after all) (none of that premixed ableton faking) serato requires less thinking, but apply some thinking time (as anyone who wants to be ahead should do) and you'll see with serato you're waiting for a SW update (and it will cost, knackered your HW? buy another SDJ licence) VDJ, you pay ONCE, (now forget newbs or the lazy) and you've got the (near open sauce) barebones of a program, (skins/HW it's all script)

If you look at SDJ and think (in a performance scenario) "why can't I do X" With VDJ you can most likely do it, if you're willing to learn.
[/end of bias]
Learn all softwares, if one can do a thing, then all of them can do it (it's only code) with enough pressure on the developers.
[/walOfText]l
deejdave 9:14 PM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
Hacking - a bit of a non sequitur, the shitty hacks of V8 actually lead people to pay for the real deal, I'd say it's quite safe to say most newbies will go the piracy option first (I've seen albums namecheck hacking groups for DAW hacking) Eventually working DJs will abandon the darkside.

I hear ya there but even SDJ suffers its share of this issue which in terms of Piracy so I didn't mean that at all. I was speaking of just the free software itself. No controller just straight laptop DJing. Serato is FREE but you MUST have the hardware to "unlock" it. VDJ you actually need nothing to run. This reminds me of an argument that was posted in this VERY thread I believe where a strict VDJ user was suggesting Serato is cheaper to run than VDJ..................... (No offense meant but it was unreal LOL)
I also agree with you on the expansion pack costs etc. I just accept that as helping the cause with Serato LMAO.

This would also be where the "people" not Dj's reference I made earlier applies. The fact remains you can use VDJ for free which i have myself on two PC laptops for karaoke purposes. I get it opens up and is MUCH better with a controller but tell that to the peole using it on paying jobs without LOL.

For the rest I can easily say its a matter of preference. For me I am a hardware buff.............. as in like EVERYTHING LOL. J/K but I do try to get the best of all worlds.

For instance:
SDJ - Rane 64, DJM-900SRT, DDJ-SZ
Traktor - Kontrol S4, Kontrol S8
Rekordbox - CDJ-2000Nexus, DJM-900SRT
Even Ableton - Ableton Push

Even sitting here now there is NOT ONE device (of similar caliber) I can think of that was made for VDJ. I am thinking Serato's DDJ-SZ controller will be my first REAL venture into VDJ once the activation key gets e-mailed to me. Then again It's probably safe to assume ALL my hardware CAN be used with VDJ as they pretty much map everything. I just say the Akai AMX was added.................... been out for a month and they hopped on that!! LOL

1.) Any insight as to why
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:27 PM - 11 December, 2014
I'm on my phone so I'll answer your other questions later but as to why some things take longer then other to get is (I believe) the hardware makers have to send them a working unit then the team has to do they're script magic and make it all work seamlessly with the software. Then they usually create a matching skin for said hardware.

Now this is what I think happens from those I've talked to so this shouldn't be taking as gospel, lol!!
BARRY SCOTT 9:03 AM - 12 December, 2014
Aye there's a SZ skin done already, I've personally no time for skins that match HW (why replicate the same visual info) but given the choice quite a few do, probably ocdOCDO.C.D.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:03 PM - 12 December, 2014
@Dave, or anyone for that matter, lol!!

Ok within the VDJ setting you can tell where to look for your Serato crates at.

And for the cues there's a setting called "getcuesfromtag". Make sure that's checked and your good to go.

No messy scripts and all that jazz........
deejdave 5:02 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Aye there's a SZ skin done already, I've personally no time for skins that match HW (why replicate the same visual info) but given the choice quite a few do, probably ocdOCDO.C.D.

Not a skin. An actual separate release for the SZ. Not sure about the skin at all but supposedly it is mapped which would be the more important part.
Quote:
@Dave, or anyone for that matter, lol!!

Ok within the VDJ setting you can tell where to look for your Serato crates at.

And for the cues there's a setting called "getcuesfromtag". Make sure that's checked and your good to go.

No messy scripts and all that jazz........

Just confirming this is with Mac. THIS was the real zinger for me. The crates were always viewable.................... but only by Windows. I am just making sure this is not another case of the same thing.
BARRY SCOTT 5:14 PM - 12 December, 2014
"getcuesfromtag" Always, then on first use of a track serato cues import, if you've already used a track before setting to 'always' just rescan it.

The separate release is the same software but it includes a security measure (a SZ will have to be plugged in once) to stop SZ owners selling on the licence to 3rd parties, (Imagine a SZ with a $300 rebate, that would cost VDJ big time)

I can't testify to macs viewing crates (not a mac user) but it should, it's only a location, the info is in the same format.
BARRY SCOTT 5:15 PM - 12 December, 2014
hmmm glitch in the matrix.
deejdave 5:26 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
I can't testify to macs viewing crates (not a mac user) but it should, it's only a location, the info is in the same format.

This is what I though about the crates but for YEARS have been welcomed with the issue of Windows only. I mean I DO use Windows................. as a matter of fact I use VDJ on my Windows PC's and I will use it for Karaoke and everything else in my life.

I use my MacBooks for DJing and music production though so this could be a make or break thing for me. I was able to get into both Traktor AND Rekordbox because I was able to 100% SYNC my library (crates, subcrates, cue points, loops beat grids ............. EVERYTHING) between Serato, Traktor & Rekordbox. If I were able to do this I would probably have more knowledge on VDJ.

So anyone who knows specifically if this works with Mac ............... by all means. The good news is my VDJ key JUST got e-mailed to me from Pioneer so I am downloading now.
deejdave 5:39 PM - 12 December, 2014
Well the good news is I suppose it comes the Virtual DJ Pro Infinity

Thus far no good with the crates OR the cue points.
deejdave 5:41 PM - 12 December, 2014
What is weird though is it says Pro infinity on the software but only Pro OEM on my online account.
deejdave 5:47 PM - 12 December, 2014
I take it back. All crates viewable. ALL cue points coming up....................... Oh Sheeeeit! Im in it now!! LOL Thanks guys.
wadup 7:01 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
I take it back. All crates viewable. ALL cue points coming up....................... Oh Sheeeeit! Im in it now!! LOL Thanks guys.

deejdave i tried to use vdj for the hell of it, but it was just too painful, I uninstall it already....how are you making out?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:52 PM - 12 December, 2014
Yeah it all shows up on a Mac as you've found out 😜

I don't have an SZ yet but after Christmas is over (family has to come first) and I sell off a couple mixers, MacBook and an NS7 I'll grab one up.
deejdave 9:31 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

deejdave i tried to use vdj for the hell of it, but it was just too painful, I uninstall it already....how are you making out?

Can't lie. I had ONE crash so far but other than that it has already altered my doubts as to sound, smoothness, etc. The last part will in all honesty be on me and my feelings. Make no doubt this is a huge part. As many mention there is an aura that comes along with it. It may be unfair. It may be unjust. Not debating that part as in a world on my own with NO outside influence I am thinking I could hang with VDJ...........................

We'll see where this takes me but as far as the actual experience thus far.............. I'd actually go ahead and call it pain free.

May I ask what specifically could you not deal with or what was getting to you?

Quote:
I don't have an SZ yet but after Christmas is over (family has to come first) and I sell off a couple mixers, MacBook and an NS7 I'll grab one up.

LOVE my SZ!!! LOL. TBH I haven't been playing around much with it since I got the AMX but right now the SZ/VDJ has my attention.

One thing is for certain my primary will still be SDJ. Not blind to other alternatives I am just about Serato as a software as much as I am about Serato as a company. Not for nothing it just gives me a different feeling than all other software. Don't hate me for this I m just being honest. THAT being said I have NO doubts in my mind that VDJ will actually become a part in my software rotation. I have been going at it in terms of my library. I have 40K files fully cued out and I am a happy person. If I could get the labels/colors to come up I'd be even happier. I have not found a way too yet as it didn't seem to have the option even in "poi editor" and I already have "getcuesfromtag" on.
deejdave 3:03 AM - 13 December, 2014
OK So I plugged in the AMX and I could NOT purchase the license for the controller if I wanted to. It really did get me the VDJ Pro Infinity license. It literally says "Already Have" directly under where you would purchase so............................. not bad for the nice round price of $0 LOL

BTW The mapping for the SZ is OK. The sound seems not as bright. The mapping for the AMX is VERY similar to SDJ's but it falls short in a few areas. First the EQ's are NO longer full kill. I am assuming/hoping this can be changed via the software. I haven't gotten into the scripts yet either so we shall see where this goes.
deejdave 3:21 AM - 13 December, 2014
Anyone know if I can use my Rane 64 or DJM-900SRT natively mapped? I saw ALL my CDJ's, controllers & sub controllers are supported. NO surprise there. They don;t have ANY of my mixers listed though. As I said I don't need to purchase any extra controller licenses as apparently I got them all for free but I'd like to see how far I can take this.

Other news I just activated the license on four MacBook's and three PC's................ DVS and all.................... No limits apparently. I deleted from two of the MacBooks already but I just installed to see if I could haha :)
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:24 PM - 13 December, 2014
Well let's start with the EQ's, you can change that in the settings. I'm on my phone at work so I can't give you the exact setting name but do a search in the settings for "eq" and think it'll pop up.

Now as for your mixers, they are "external" mixers, so no you probably won't find any mappings as all the sound is hardware based when using those so there's no need to map them out. Now you can use "fake" commands and when you turn a knob on your mixer the on screen knobs will move but won't effect the over all sound, hope that makes sense??

I'm pretty sure as long as you have the drivers they should show up in the sound input/output settings so you can route your channels/sampler/mic/aux, etc, etc.

Now as for installing on multiple machines, yes you can. The legal jargon says only 2 machines, 1 backup and your main machine. If you have any of those machines online you will be asked to log in everytime you use a different machine.

As for the sound, I kinda agree with you on that but I think different soundcards will give you a different sound (some are just better then others which I'm sure you know already).

Now as for the colors I'm not sure how that works as the only pad controller I have is the SP1 and it only has 1 color. I know you can set up the colored pads but I myself am not familiar with it. I'd just check over on they're forums for that.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:27 PM - 13 December, 2014
Oh and when it comes to your mixers you can map out the video crossfader if you do video.

That's how I have my DJM 800 and DJM T1 setup (well I have more mapped on the T1 for obvious reasons, lol!).
deejdave 4:09 PM - 13 December, 2014
Good stuff. I'm on my phone as well now so I'll look into this more when I get home. Thanks for the info thus far tho. Like I said......... It might as well be you! As u seemed to know how to navigate vdj from the start........ Thanks again.
DhouseProject 1:11 AM - 16 December, 2014
Guys, just my opinion: SOFTWARE DOESN´T MAKE THE DJ . All of them have pros and cons. I love Serato , but can´t use it if my controller isn´t plugged in. VDJ let me use it while im at the office with only my laptop. Effects are way cooler in SDJ, but for clubs i think VDJ is great and runs ok with win 8 . I had some issues with reading the library from SDJ and some video formats. If you can create good sets you must be able to play it with whatever is at hand, cd players, controllers , etc.
I agree that SDJ runs ok with MAC and i´m looking forward to fully use it. When someone invites you to play a set with their toys, are you goinf to say, ohh no i dont use that software, i cannot play a set, sorry?
deejdave 1:32 AM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
When someone invites you to play a set with their toys, are you goinf to say, ohh no i dont use that software, i cannot play a set, sorry?

Have done it yes. If I play a cameo set it will absolutely be on gear I can trust. That being said if I am performing I am using one of MY personal MacBook's. Which I pretty much always have at least one with me. I also keep a USB stick on my ketychain with a full set for Rekordbox gear. As I said I have only encountered VDJ once professionally which was being used by one of the DJ's I was managing. He coincidentally was the ONLY DJ I ever had to cut short LOL.

I installed VDJ on all my machines (total of seven) and have since deleted it from all but one MacBook but kept it on my PC's. I must admit it is nice to be able to use VDJ with my PC's while I would ONLY attempt this for testing (NEVER performance) purposes with SDJ.
pdidy 7:30 AM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
When someone invites you to play a set with their toys, are you goinf to say, ohh no i dont use that software, i cannot play a set, sorry?

Have done it yes. .

Me too, I know a lot of djs and get allot of impropto invites which I happily decline if the set does not meet my finicky approval. I have nothing to gain but everything to loose in reputation on an unapproved setup or software. I even turn down sets on Serato if the gear is not up too spec.......
deejdave 7:34 AM - 16 December, 2014
Exactly. I have worked my A$$ of to afford to be picky LOL. ESPECIALLY when guest appearing the critics are watching and quick to verbalize criticism/praise. Just the nature of the beast.
Mike Butler 7:12 PM - 17 December, 2014
Have to say I tried VDJ with my SZ and I quite like it.

It has some nice touches, for example the controls on the SZ (faders, filters, eq etc) are reflected on the screen display, you can set it to reset volume, eq, effects when loading a new track. Nothing you can't do manually but hey, every little helps!

Haven't done any serious playing with it yet but once I've finished the Xmas rush I'll probably have a better look. If nothing else it'll be another DJ program to install, configure and leave alone so I have a fallback in case of problems with Traktor or Serato

Mike
deejdave 7:36 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
for example the controls on the SZ (faders, filters, eq etc) are reflected on the screen display

This was KINDA fun not gonna lie. I mean I knew this already and VDJ overall is nothing new for me but I DEF gave it 90% this time with previous times I was MAYBE at 60%...................... BTW these are EXACT scientific figures NOT to be debated LOL.

I am personally back to my Traktor kick with Serato remaining primary. I know it like the back of my hand so it just feels like home. NOT that I feel I I wouldn't prefer it anyways even IF it wasn't second nature.
BARRY SCOTT 10:18 PM - 18 December, 2014
Quote:
VDJ ...I DEF gave it 90% this time with previous times I was MAYBE at 60%...................... BTW these are EXACT scientific figures NOT to be debated LOL.

Well praise indeed given that no software can score 100% in a comparison to others
e.g. I like serato 100% but I can't beat jump like traktor or VDJ can, serato -1% etc

You SDJ users need to pressure your dev's, "Traktor/VDJ can do it, why can't SDJ?"
Like wise we'll do the same == better SW for everyone.

Personally my %'s for all SW (for average djing) are pretty equal, (vst's put serato slightly behind, flip negates that partially)

But using some brain power, until SDJ adopts some kind of user scripting, it's a 20th century technology, (replicates a few decks very well but can't do much else)

VDJ users invent, if the invention is popular, it makes it into the program, with serato you make a request for an update and hope for +1's

Do you want to be held back with average?
deejdave 10:50 PM - 18 December, 2014
I agree completely. Not saying I don't ability to ability (without comparing who is better at said abilities) VDJ has more features. While I do NOT claim nor do I want to be a purist I do feel everyone has a line. SDJ just fits me as a person and as a DJ I guess is the best way to put it. I don't think this makes me a basic person though. I have wants and long for some changes and features to be added so I would agree with your statement:
Quote:
You SDJ users need to pressure your dev's, "Traktor/VDJ can do it, why can't SDJ?"
Like wise we'll do the same == better SW for everyone.

While I can imagine I will have my ideas & needs evolve over time I will always have my line close at hand. Keep in mind this is not c comfort zone sort of crutch........... it is a line that keeps ME as the main part of the mix. In short it ensures what I am creating is art instead of binary algorithms.

Again not an insult to anyone. Just stating what works for me is all :)
BARRY SCOTT 1:30 AM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
...Just stating what works for me is all :)

That's a pertinent point, "What works for me" is a strong sales pitch, but creativity should be allowed to wander you don't know what you're good at until you try it.

You need to forget "binary algorithms" thoughts about VDJ, that really only applies to automix (which I've said before is bollocks, it's only connection to art is track selection by the user, and it will never out perform even a mediocre dj {Newbs, bar staff & wedding dj's who need a piss/fancy a drink, that's who use automix} It's a machine, the limiting factor is the human running it.

All that said, on probability there will be more fucking god awful users of VDJ than serato (it's free, accessible to many whom mistake talent for ambition)

Anyways all the best.
DJTorchmusic 7:15 AM - 17 July, 2016
I'm in a situation where VDJ may be my only choice but I wanted to verify it's "actual compatibility" with my setup. I wasn't feeling' the DDJ SZ (just couldn't connect with it) and ended up with a Rane Sixty Four and two V7s. I thought about getting two turntables but I can't see me hauling that ish around on mobile gigs or club gigs where I need to bring my own controllers. So, the issue is that Serato supports one primary hardware and does not have the ability to allow the end user to select one or the other. There's a way to get around it but it can get "funky" and that's not in a good way. SO, I need to get something that will allow me to play V7s with the Rane 64 and it seems that Virtual DJ is the only thing out there compatible with both pieces of hardware and allows you to choose your primary hardware. But, before I drop dough has anyone tried this with this setup or another Rane mixer?
HighTopFade 6:53 PM - 17 July, 2016
I plan to use the latest version of VDJ for OSX with a Pioneer DDJ-SR for karaoke. I'm pretty sold on the Automix background music feature. Anyone who has used both SDJ and VDJ, does VDJ use more / less system resources than SDJ running video?
soul63 7:40 AM - 18 July, 2016
vdj traktor sdj all use synch a form of automation..how is vdj more automated than the other 2?(leaving out automix of course)..you do not need to know more about computers to use sdj as is suggested in this thread..load of rubbish..the only time you need to know a bit about computers maybe,is when something goes wrong but thats the same for all dj softwares.said it before and say it again sdj is the easiest dj software to use out of the box to play music,how creative you get after may depend on what software you use..or what your in this dj thing for,a means or tool to just play music which vdj fits the bill but so does sdj for me..from my observations of this forum most who post are from the mainstream caught up in dj culture that requires you to mix,i honestley think the music is secondary to a lot on here judging by the absolute crap kiddie rnb and hip hop you play..vdj is more suited to you guys..you cant really think your credible playing that rubbish to pissed up chavs in yates wine bar type venues just beacause you use sdj?..and all these debates about vdj vs serato automix etc all boil down to a delusional air of credibilty..there you go something to get your teeth into this morning..lol
DJ Ravien 9:04 AM - 18 July, 2016
I actually find SDJ the easiest of them to use, Does what it is intended to do with out having to tinker about with anything. I am very comfortable with computers as I was a computer technology analyst in the army. I actually find traktor requires more computer knowledge. Which was initially what interested me in it to begin with, wasn't until I was tired of messing with things unrelated to anything other then mixing that I found my way back to using SDJ.

Intro came with my first controller and I wont lie it's lack of features was initially was what put me off. Traktor helped me first realize the structure of songs etc, later I began dabbling in production n so on. That is when I realized that all those features weren't necessarily. I just wanted to mix music.

I own a copy of traktor but find its GUI unpleasing, and overall weighted down with unnecessary features plus I could never get key lock to work as it makes everything sound like it's underwater. I have used VDJ8 and again found it's GUI unpleasing ,disliked the FX and didn't find the BPM editor as easy or intuitive as SDJ. Ive used RBDJ and while I have to say it is the closest thing I have found to SDJ in terms of functionality it again didn't seem as intuitive to use as SDJ.

While each software has it's features that I may find attractive over all SDJ has stood the test of time for my uses. I don't think any one software better then the other, just not what I need. This opinion may very well change in the future, I couldn't say.

I mix all forms of House, Trap, Hardstyle, Techno, Hip Hop, 80's dance etc... What ever I am feeling and enjoy. I don't think the type of music really dictates which software is best. It all come's down to what works for YOU.

I think this should be clear to anyone who has used the other software and find this question really only seemed to matter before I actually started mixing. In hindsight I realize that no person could tell me which was better for me. They may point out features of each but that in no way will make it better as each has strong points as well as weaknesses.
hh73 1:13 AM - 25 February, 2017
check this out. i have used and own all 3. i am a collector who has just go start mixing and have fun. but ive been collection so long (20 years) my knowlege of house is pretty good.

about this serato is aimed at the pro thing. umm no. unless you have an essential mix or global underground cd under your belt. you are still in progress. and are a WORKING dj. props if you are. but i will say this.

i just gave up on virtual dj 8 today. for good. the sound engine sucks compared to traktor and serator. i dj techy house and progressive. all those trippy, echoes, mind*uckers noise is what makes this music. and this is pre effects. even with VDJ and you save the file as a flac or wav. those little sounds are not "there".

my mixing is at the point where is OK. only decided to start last year. i use wavs or mp3s at 320k. which is fine for me. i have many controllers. the one im using now is the denon mcx8000. it shouldnt be that when i play my files outside of vdj. i mean with Aimp, or vlc. they sound much better than when im IN vdj.

seratos interface is primal and arcane. but once you figure out what layout you want. it has this. COLORED waveforms that tell your the "temperature" of the music. not just some red or blue ass waveform which just show you highs are lows.

djing is about 1:having good taste in music 2: programming.

the rest will fall into place. now im speaking for house music, some techno, acid, breaks, dnd, and all that.

if you dj weddings or things like that. virtual dj is fine.

traktor, well. its keylock is iffy. never had anything not work with serato.

only problem i had in the beginning was the mix was recorded too low. had to use a sound editor to boost it 10db. now i see i had some settings wrong.
DJ Tecniq 9:35 AM - 25 February, 2017
People comparing VDJ to Serato is like comparing a Pinto to a Porsche😂
hh73 11:14 AM - 25 February, 2017
lol. did a remix last night. still dont mix like sasha. but it sounds so much cleaner and not from some old cassettte from 1984.

only probs ive been having is the program wont close.

i need to use task manager to end the process.

im using this on a desktop with my mcx8000, monitors, msi mobo. i7 6700k, 32gbs ddr4, ati rx 480. and windows 10 50025.

but i did find my file under the music folder on the c drive
deejdave 11:27 PM - 25 February, 2017
It is all about perception. While I will never use vdj as my primary it is no secret that it is lighyears ahead of Serato. Imo it goes too far and takes away from the art but vdj is by far the more advanced option here.......... regarding the tech side at least.
hh73 2:33 AM - 26 February, 2017
in many ways yes. but for my controller its a kludge to make it work (denon mcx8000)

its meant for serato. and now i can actually use efx that dont sound like a circus.

and it DOES sound better. thats the deal. but i use traktor with a z2 and 2 numark ttx usbs for dvs.

it least we have options.

the way i mix i need the colored waveforms. virtuals djs colored waveforms just look nice, but you cant really "see" the kickdrum" or midrange was well as serato.
Reticuli 5:48 PM - 23 December, 2019
When you run your ASIO or CoreAudio interface at the same sampling rate as your files (44.1khz for most of us), I can tell you Virtual DJ 7.4's decks’ sound engine is as good as you can get. It’s identical to Pioneer's method of base audio processing but with a more advanced keylock algorithm and is bit-perfect at zero pitch and minimally-processed with keylock off away from zero, something that no other DJ software in the world seems to do. To be fair to Pioneer hardware with its equivalent processing to VDJ 7.4 at zero or with keylock off, Pioneer actually did this first way back and on hardware, everyone’s been trying to play catch-up ever since, and Master Tempo does have arguably better midrange than Traktor's and Deckadance's uses of Elastique, though, IMO, Elastique breaks up or staccatos less in the lows and highs overtly than Pioneer’s Master Tempo does. Back to VDJ 7.4… its internal mixer processing, if you use it, is every bit as competent as a high-end hardware mixer like the Rane MP2015, Denon DN-X1700, A&H Xone DB4, or Pioneer DJM-900NXS2. Its digital mix bus has its own subtle, unique flavor, but no more than each of those four hardware solutions have. Virtual DJ 8 was definitely a step down from 7.4 in sound quality... doesn't measure bit-perfect ever and somehow sounds artificial and smaller... like a fake diminutive version of the music.
deejdave 9:08 PM - 26 December, 2019
I have zero doubts on your assessment of the sound engine and if this is your priority then all the better BUT trust when I say this is not even remotely close to the the top for the masses. Hence the reason VDJ 8 took a step back in quality (allegedly) and also why others are not actually playing catch up as you claim............. truth is it just is not all that important. More often than not these apps are not developed for the guy sitting in an acoustically perfect studio playing the highest of quality files......... they are developed for performance DJ's playing in environments that are not a sound techs worst nightmare at times. You're lucky if you're granted the gift of true stereo half the times LOL. In a perfect world we would get the sound too but truth be told given the choice things are exactly the way they should be.......
popnwave 12:02 AM - 27 December, 2019
Hell, I think most of us who've been in clubs/bars just want sound to work, can't tell you how many places I had farting subs from blown cones and stupid stuff like that.

I really wish the engine was the only thing that mattered.
Diiijay 5:32 PM - 27 December, 2019
I'm back!!!
I have avoided this forum due to the large number of fanboys.
Comparing VDJ with SDJ is, to say the least, absurd!
SDJ is buggy software! Each version has issues that we no longer had before.
VDJ is stable, doesn't use the CRAZY crate system (worst idea), loads my extensive library instantly, the metronome system is great for making track adjustments, the tracks play more clearly, etc, etc. Everything is better at VDJ except the price.
SDJ looks like a branded outfit. Too much name and poor quality.
Making a comparison of these in a forum where there are only Serato fanboys is easy! Open this topic elsewhere and we'll see if the opinions will be the same.
metroplex2005 6:38 PM - 27 December, 2019
Quote:
I'm back!!!

The question is: Why? Nobody was asking for...

Quote:

That was a very good idea, keep on with such good ideas and everybody will benefit from.

Quote:

Yes, it is. Different target group.
And its also totally absurd and ridiculous to bash a software in the official forum. Its totally fine if you like VDJ more, but dont bitchin around if other people have different opinions.

Quote:
VDJ is stable, doesn't use the CRAZY crate system (worst idea), loads my extensive library instantly, the metronome system is great for making track adjustments, the tracks play more clearly, etc, etc. Everything is better at VDJ except the price.
Making a comparison of these in a forum where there are only Serato fanboys is easy! Open this topic elsewhere and we'll see if the opinions will be the same.

Thats your opinion, thats fine.
I also have a pro infinity licence of VDJ, Traktor licences, Rekordbox, and so on...
But i still using ScratchLive and Serato DJ, because i like the crate system, i like the GUI, i like the workflow. For me its far superior, i hate the overloaded VDJ skins and library system.
Thats my opinion, but i am not bitchin around in the VDJ forum/community.

So do your self and everybody else a favour: Be happy with the software of your choice, make productive posts in their forum, and don't come back again to annoy us here.
Logisticalstyles 9:42 PM - 27 December, 2019
Quote:
I'm back!!!

Crazy that it would be like that on the Serato forum. Right?

Quote:
do your self and everybody else a favour: Be happy with the software of your choice, make productive posts in their forum

Why is this so hard for people to do?
Philmixit 10:13 PM - 27 December, 2019
Serato is KING and will always be!!! LOL.
Philmixit 10:18 PM - 27 December, 2019
I try out my SRT 1000 with VDJ 2020 is buggy software , I am a scratch DJ ,and VDJ not good for that, sorry. Serato is King.
deejdave 12:06 AM - 28 December, 2019
Quote:
VDJ is stable, doesn't use the CRAZY crate system

Best part is they do......... they read Serato's actually :)
Shawn Greenwood 1:22 AM - 28 December, 2019
The History Of Serato Is So Whacked up. When I first thought to buy Serato Was $699 Without Video. Add video $199. Witch was an add-on Plus you had to have that Box for it to work. Virtual DJ $299 Has always bean that for everything in one package.
Vurtual DJ had it all for one price. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deejdave 2:55 PM - 29 December, 2019
Quote:
The History Of Serato Is So Whacked up. When I first thought to buy Serato Was $699 Without Video. Add video $199. Witch was an add-on Plus you had to have that Box for it to work. Virtual DJ $299 Has always bean that for everything in one package.

Uhhhh you are forgetting that you were actually hardware when you made that $699 purchase. For VDJ's $299 you got jack.
david07 10:46 PM - 29 December, 2019
Do not comment on any software other than serato dj, you are on the official website, if you use another go to the web in question, this is absurd
only questions regarding sdj pro😉
Diiijay 8:05 PM - 31 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
I'm back!!!

The question is: Why? Nobody was asking for...

Quote:

That was a very good idea, keep on with such good ideas and everybody will benefit from.

Quote:

Yes, it is. Different target group.
And its also totally absurd and ridiculous to bash a software in the official forum. Its totally fine if you like VDJ more, but dont bitchin around if other people have different opinions.

Quote:

Thats your opinion, thats fine.
I also have a pro infinity licence of VDJ, Traktor licences, Rekordbox, and so on...
But i still using ScratchLive and Serato DJ, because i like the crate system, i like the GUI, i like the workflow. For me its far superior, i hate the overloaded VDJ skins and library system.
Thats my opinion, but i am not bitchin around in the VDJ forum/community.

So do your self and everybody else a favour: Be happy with the software of your choice, make productive posts in their forum, and don't come back again to annoy us here.

====================================================================
Did not say???
Another fanboy ...
If you didn't notice I followed the title: "Serato vs. Virtual DJ".
I gave my opinion as well as all other members. Just saying good things about Serato is FANBOY stuff. I have not failed to respect anyone. So accept that it hurts less !!!
Diiijay 8:06 PM - 31 December, 2019
Quote:
Serato is KING and will always be!!! LOL.

======================================================================
I agree with you!
King of the most bugs!
Diiijay 8:08 PM - 31 December, 2019
Quote:
Best part is they do......... they read Serato's actually :)

But of course they read!
They read because they are better!
Diiijay 8:09 PM - 31 December, 2019
Quote:

Finally someone wise!
Diiijay 8:14 PM - 31 December, 2019
Quote:
Do not comment on any software other than serato dj, you are on the official website, if you use another go to the web in question, this is absurd
only questions regarding sdj pro

Are you crazy, man?
Did you read the title ???
"Serato vs. Virtual DJ".
I gave my opinion! I bought the software and I am a member like all of you! At no time did I fail with respect. Did you know that in my way I already got the developers to improve the waveform? That's right! I was the one who complained.
So stop being FANBOY and require software without bugs, because you paid for it!
popnwave 9:13 PM - 31 December, 2019
Time to stop tracking the troll..
Diiijay 9:31 PM - 31 December, 2019
Quote:
Time to stop tracking the troll..

Please, do it!
david07 2:41 PM - 1 January, 2020
Diiijay
I just say that here it is to talk about serato dj and not other software, I feel that my comment has bothered you
deejdave 11:18 PM - 1 January, 2020
This is an very open forum and while this may have started as a productive means of comparing the two (and others) as a possible path to improvement the above user clearly has a lot of time on his hands and can afford to spend it on Serato forums even though he does not use the SW. In all honesty I don't blame him as the Atomix forums are not very lively and mostly due to it members.........
Diiijay 11:13 PM - 14 January, 2020
Quote:
Diiijay
I just say that here it is to talk about serato dj and not other software, I feel that my comment has bothered you

Respect my comment! I am a Serato DJ user and a member of this forum. Did you read the topic?
Diiijay 11:18 PM - 14 January, 2020
Quote:
This is an very open forum and while this may have started as a productive means of comparing the two (and others) as a possible path to improvement the above user clearly has a lot of time on his hands and can afford to spend it on Serato forums even though he does not use the SW. In all honesty I don't blame him as the Atomix forums are not very lively and mostly due to it members.........

I'm not worried about your cynicism.
I don't have a license from VirtualDJ and I don't participate in the Atomix forum because I have nothing to complain about their great software.
I never mention the name of competing software but you all insist on ignoring the topic!
deejdave 1:36 AM - 15 January, 2020
Quote:
I don't participate in the Atomix forum because I have nothing to complain about their great software.

Pretty much sums it all up. As said above stop tracking the troll. No longer tracking.
pdidy 1:41 AM - 15 January, 2020
Quote:
Pretty much sums it all up. As said above stop tracking the troll. No longer tracking.
+1
EjikScratcher 2:22 PM - 3 July, 2023
Today Virtual DJ is far ahead of serato
Today Virtual DJ is far ahead of serato
Today Virtual DJ is far ahead of serato.
Today Virtual DJ is far ahead of serato.
EjikScratcher 2:23 PM - 3 July, 2023
the site hung up and the message was repeated

sorry
DjSyndic8 12:09 AM - 4 July, 2023
This section is basically to troll genuine Serato members, dont be fooled fellas, stay focused my brothers, stay focused.
metroplex2005 5:19 AM - 4 July, 2023
Don't feed the troll.