Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Looking a Promo Only vs VJ-Pro aka (SmashVision/ScreenPlay)

kwestyon 7:03 AM - 12 April, 2014
I already use Promo Only, looking a VJ-Pro. Wondering which better? I also use my12inch.com but the video quality is horrible. But I do like that they serve up audio and video. I'm in LA and I think my12inch is in Las Vegas, so the west coast vibe is there. Trying to find a pool with the selection of my12inch but with quality videos. Looking a VJ-Pro, although they only do video.

I looked at "Booty Wurk" by T-Pain. HD single edit on PO and SD single edit on VJ-Pro. I was surprised not to fine the HD version on VJ-Pro. Of course the HD ver. of PO looked better. I did notice that on the PO version, Kevin Harts's shirt is blurred out, but on VJ-Pro it's not. Nothing fowl on his shirt, just the Yves Saint Laurent Logo. So now I wonder if PO is adding in extra blur on videos?

The PO version was little longer (just more of the cut scene at the end).

What video should I look at next? This time both in HD. What video would show flaws in a bad encoding process.

BTW, I'm no video expert, just you friendly neighborhood DJ.
Code:E 8:13 AM - 12 April, 2014
Quote:
Wondering which better?

vj-pro

I only get vieos now and when I do a gig thats not video I still play the videos with ME turned off.
Quote:
I was surprised not to fine the HD version on VJ-Pro.

HD is over rated.
Code:E 8:15 AM - 12 April, 2014
Quote:
The PO version was little longer (just more of the cut scene at the end).

The nice thing with pro pools Like VJ pro and xtendamix, they throw away the audio that comes with the video and add there own thats much higher quality. And they also remove cut scenes and crap over the audio. So its all music and only music. only 1 track ever have i not wanted that (nelly hot in herre).
kwestyon 1:26 PM - 13 April, 2014
Next video is Fancy by Iggy Azalea (Clean Version), Didn't expect to see or hear any difference, but I did. The PO color is deeper, or richer, while the VJ-Pro is a little faded. This probably makes no read differences, but now I know. It's like having a scratch on your car, no one else may see it, but you know. Not that I know what this mean but the Video and Audio Data rate is higher on PO. PO Video Data rate is 6024 kbps, VJ Pro is 5114 kbps. PO Audio Bit rate is 330kbps, VJ Pro Audio Bit rate is 319 kbps. Didn't notice a difference in sound, just the faded video on VJ Pro. The VJ Pro file is smaller at 126 MB and PO at 148 MB. Still looking at the videos will report more later.
DJMark 8:24 PM - 13 April, 2014
Quote:
The PO color is deeper, or richer, while the VJ-Pro is a little faded.

I'm going to take a semi-educated guess that the VJ-Pro version matches the original, while PO messed around with the video color/saturation.
djnak 12:12 AM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:

Quote:
I was surprised not to fine the HD version on VJ-Pro.

HD is over rated.

I call bullshit... the majority of clubs have HD installs ...computers can handle the files... the file size is not much more than a SD edit for a reputable source..it looks better...HD is standard now, why would you want to use a lower quality video if you don't have to?
popnwave 3:36 AM - 14 April, 2014
Actually I think the majority of places are still SD. Yes nice places are but there are a ton of dives that have video now that outnumber the nicer installs by far. I am always amazed where I catch videos playing now.

HOWEVER - HD is here and it is dumb to not at least stay up to speed with the format. It's not even future proofing at this point and everything is easily displayed at lower res as long as you have that HD file.
Code:E 4:48 AM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
I call bullshit... the majority of clubs have HD installs

Quote:
Actually I think the majority of places are still SD.

Not around here nak. Barely anyone is on true HD.
Quote:
.computers can handle the files...

Well... not actually. My 2011 17 inch with a 1 gb video card could do HD but nothing else. And I would rather add resolume and things like twitter overlays 1st.
Quote:
the file size is not much more than a SD edit for a reputable source..it looks better..

I agree. The size is not a issue.

Quote:
HOWEVER - HD is here and it is dumb to not at least stay up to speed with the format. It's not even future proofing at this point and everything is easily displayed at lower res as long as you have that HD file.

Ok that there is better advice than what i gave. Ge the HD files and lower the quality output to whatever the installed system is.
djnak 9:18 AM - 14 April, 2014
in at least 2 years I have not hooked up SD anywhere
Quote:

Ok that there is better advice than what i gave. Ge the HD files and lower the quality output to whatever the installed system is.

+1 there you go ...question for you...if your running resolume/twitter feed/ whatever else you got going is it an issue when playing HD files or outputting in HD?
kwestyon 12:41 PM - 14 April, 2014
Just looked at Drunk In Love by Beyonce. The 1080 ver. from VJ-Pro and the 720 ver from PO. I choose this video because it is black and white and has a lots of dark scenes. Most videos I see with a lots of Black in the scenes show pixelation in the black. Both video also had this pixelation in the black. The quality of the picture looked the same to me, but I'll give the nug to VJ-Pro for having a 1080 verison. PO has no 1080 version of anything. What I did see from the PO version is a PO Water Mark that would pop up from time to time. Not sure if that is in all there videos or not. Strangely enough, VJ-Pro video was 206 MB while the PO was 246 MB. The 1080 video was smaller? Go figure. Also VJ-Pro again had lower Data Rates for the 1080 video than PO's 720 video. Not sure if that means anything. But like I said, I didn't see any noticeable different in the sound or video of the two.
Joshua Carl 5:13 PM - 14 April, 2014
I dont think i am playing anywhere that is not HD.
its certainly a regional thing, Boston is a die-hard 365 sports city. that means every TV in
you spot better be able to show a playoff game in HD.

that being said, Ive found that the 1080 for me is a bit of overkill in most of my cases.
even the newest, best video systems Im running on are hitting a scan converter that are pushing to 1080 anyways.
the 720 videos look amazing on these systems... in some cases even comparable to broadcast HD, even better... (no tearing or pixelation during motion scenes)
the SD videos look great too, but I would say that I can see the difference... but not too many untrained eyes ever could.

I will say this, I have to use Mix Emergency's picture adjust almost everywhere I go.
screens are always way too bright, not enough contrast... basically set for watching sports.

as far as the services go.
Promo Only has made great strides to try to contend with the likes for smash.
I dare compare the comparison to Mix Emergency Vs Serato.
they are doing things, slowly and arguably a bit late but they are trying.... and sometimes they are limited by seemingly legal situations (IE blurring, not altering videos at all for DJs)
but it still is a decent service.

but to be completely honest smash has got such a jump out the gate on them...
Im sure any of us could find examples going both ways on certain files, but across the board the audio and video is going to be better with smash.

Ive always felt that Promo Only is an absolute staple in the industry, they are extremely influential on the global market and do genuinely care about DJs and the scene.
But I have also felt like their video dept is pretty far down on their priority list, they have an unrivaled audio department to carry their torch.
where as smash is all video, by video djs, for video djs, its their bread and butter.
Joshua Carl 5:16 PM - 14 April, 2014
damn, hit enter.

what I do is download certified big tracks in 720.
everything else in SD

given the credit system by smash, once you spend a credit on 1 version of a video you dont get hit again for another credit.

so if a track blooms late, ill go back and get the HD version
or if i notice a track didnt pop like I thought it might have, Ill replace the HD with SD versions.
Code:E 6:45 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
question for you...if your running resolume/twitter feed/ whatever else you got going is it an issue when playing HD files or outputting in HD?

I'm not exactly sure. It was causing me computer to overheat.
But I just bought the new top end MBP yesterday. Going to be testing all week to hopefully use it this weekend. I get lower frame rates when playing HD and strive to always be outputting 60FPS.

Quote:
the 720 videos look amazing on these systems... in some cases even comparable to broadcast HD, even better... (no tearing or pixelation during motion scenes)
the SD videos look great too, but I would say that I can see the difference... but not too many untrained eyes ever could.

THIS!

I'm now switching over to HD since I got the new computer. But I wont be getting 1080p videos. mainly because so few will be 1080 the point of having it seems lost to me. In a couple of years I would expect to only be using 1080p (and holding off on 4k at that point).
DJ Icce 10:40 PM - 16 May, 2014
i get all my videos from [link removed] never had an issue with them i pay a flat fee of 19.99 a month and can download as much as i want plus they have really fast and great customer service! i would highly recommend it to whoever is interested in latin videos because thats what the specialize
DJ DisGrace 10:59 PM - 16 May, 2014
Hey! Where can I find latin videos???