Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato Video Requires Quicktime 7 Or Greater To Run

Product
Serato Video
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Host
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
caliguy 6:18 PM - 28 March, 2014
I am receiveing the "Serato Video Requires Quicktime 7 Or Greater To Run" message even though Quicktime 7 was installed and resinstalled several times.

I have waited it seems like forever for Serato to come up with a solution to make Serato Video compatible with CURRENT PC's.

Most new PC's use intel Core-i processors or some variation with integrated graphics in the processor itself. SERATO STILL DOES NOT SUPPORT THESE PROCESSORS. What gives!

Really, its been years not months with Serato Video not supported on modern PC's. This needs to be fixed once and for all!

For the record im running Windows and Mac OS on my Partitioned Macbook. I definitely prefer Windows on my Mac over Mac OS, so im not interested in using Serato Video on Mac OS.

Can an official Serato representative respond please.

Thank you.
Code:E 9:54 PM - 30 March, 2014
Quote:
im not interested in using Serato Video on Mac OS.

Why? It will work 1st try without any configuration. plus you get the added benifit of syphon, quartz composer and no codec issues.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 12:54 AM - 2 April, 2014
Hey Caliguy,

Quote:
I am receiveing the "Serato Video Requires Quicktime 7 Or Greater To Run" message even though Quicktime 7 was installed and resinstalled several times.

Thats odd, perhaps try uninstalling Quicktime and Serato DJ + Video from that partition and then installing Serato DJ (with the new Video plugin) directly from here: serato.com - it includes quicktime in the installation.

Quote:
SERATO STILL DOES NOT SUPPORT THESE PROCESSORS. What gives!

We have always been very clear with our messaging regarding this. We do not support intel integrated graphics on PC's because the performance is not that great and the product becomes difficult to use, this is why we declare this in the products minimum specs. With the latest release we have opened up the intel graphics option. You can now TRY to use your intel card if you wish, however we still do not support it because of performance issues.

Quote:
Really, its been years not months with Serato Video not supported on modern PC's. This needs to be fixed once and for all!

Serato Video has always been supported on PC's, we only do not support intel integrated chips on PC's. If your computer has an up to spec dedicated graphics card you can run the software.

Sam
caliguy 8:01 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
im not interested in using Serato Video on Mac OS.

Why? It will work 1st try without any configuration. plus you get the added benifit of syphon, quartz composer and no codec issues.

Im going to have to try the MAC option.

MAC works great but Video was the only reason I bought a MAC. But, there are so many programs that I use on PC that are NOT found for MAC OS. I also find Windows a little more straight forward. Also its just easier to stay on one Operating System instead of toggling back and forth and rebooting to get to to the other.

Quote:
Quote:

Thats odd, perhaps try uninstalling Quicktime and Serato DJ + Video from that partition and then installing Serato DJ (with the new Video plugin) directly from here: serato.com - it includes quicktime in the installation.

I did downlad directly from there. Already stated that I UNINSTALLED several times and REINSTALLED several times. I will try again.

Quote:
Quote:
SERATO STILL DOES NOT SUPPORT THESE PROCESSORS. What gives!

We have always been very clear with our messaging regarding this. We do not support intel integrated graphics on PC's because the performance is not that great and the product becomes difficult to use, this is why we declare this in the products minimum specs. With the latest release we have opened up the intel graphics option. You can now TRY to use your intel card if you wish, however we still do not support it because of performance issues.

Im not stating you do not disclose this, although you can definitely improve on getting the word out in bold at the top of the Serato Video page.

Quote:
Quote:

Serato Video has always been supported on PC's, we only do not support intel integrated chips on PC's. If your computer has an up to spec dedicated graphics card you can run the software.

Sam

I did NOT state that you dont support PC's. I AM saying you have NOT supported video on CURRENT PC's as of the CORE-i (Nehalem) series with integrated graphics in the CPU.

Core-i chipsets on PC as well as MAC have been the norm now SINCE 2008!

New laptops are NOT being offered with the Core 2 Duo chips that Serato Video "supports". That supported architecture was retired by intel and replaced by the Core-i3 almost 5 years ago.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 1:20 AM - 7 April, 2014
We support intel processors. That is not the problem.

What we do not support are the generally under powered integrated intel graphics cards that come with these processors. We have experienced performance issues with them while testing and for that reason only support windows machines with a secondary dedicated graphics card as well.

Quote:
I did NOT state that you dont support PC's. I AM saying you have NOT supported video on CURRENT PC's as of the CORE-i (Nehalem) series with integrated graphics in the CPU.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure that when you purchase a new PC with an i-Series processor you have the option of getting a machine with only an integrated graphics card (generally smaller, non performance laptops & note taking computers) or one with a dedicated AMD or Radeon card as well as the integrated graphics cards (most larger or higher spec machines).

Regardless of whether we support intel integrated graphics cards we have unblocked them, so users can try to use them if they wish. If they try it and the performance is poor it is only because the intel integrated cards do not perform overly well, hence, we recommend a dedicated graphics card.

Sam
Serato, Support
Sam GG 2:36 AM - 7 April, 2014
Hey Caliguy,

Also could you let me know what model Macbook you have?

Thanks, Sam
Funkytownstopsix 3:14 PM - 7 April, 2014
FYI guys I had the same message from quicktime as well, all I had to do was unistall the quicktime and reinstall quicktime which fixed the issue.
Funkytownstopsix 3:16 PM - 7 April, 2014
oh and that was on my windows pc.
caliguy 9:22 PM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:
FYI guys I had the same message from quicktime as well, all I had to do was unistall the quicktime and reinstall quicktime which fixed the issue.

I tried that. I even downloaded Quicktime directly from Apples website. I'll keep trying.

Quote:
Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure that when you purchase a new PC with an i-Series processor you have the option of getting a machine with only an integrated graphics card (generally smaller, non performance laptops & note taking computers) or one with a dedicated AMD or Radeon card as well as the integrated graphics cards (most larger or higher spec machines).

So your response is to instruct us hundreds of thousands of Serato users with Core-i processors to shell out more cash on a laptop because our laptops are inadequate for Serato Video yet I can stream High Definition (1080P) video and play cpu and graphics intensive video games on these same computers without any hiccups or glitches? Really? So Serato Video is more graphics intensive than HD streaming and current video games?

To answer your question, I would have to say you are somewhat uninformed of todays laptop offerings. Yes there are some options available but they are very limited and generally ultra pricey.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with a Core-i5 with a minimum 2.4 GHZ processor with turbo up to around 3.0 I believe. So on this MacBook Pro running on MAC OS I can run Serato Video just fine but When I Windows on it, the same exact laptop is inadequate for Serato Video? That doesnt make sense.
Funkytownstopsix 11:39 PM - 9 April, 2014
Humm!!!!!! Good point... : )

When I removed quicktime I re installed Serato 1.6.1 which installed the version of quicktime it came with after which it work fine.. So stuff will change since you are using bootcamp but it should install...
caliguy 12:04 AM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
Humm!!!!!! Good point... : )

When I removed quicktime I re installed Serato 1.6.1 which installed the version of quicktime it came with after which it work fine.. So stuff will change since you are using bootcamp but it should install...

Thats what I was wondering, if maybe there's something to do with bootcamp. Dont know.
Funkytownstopsix 12:08 AM - 10 April, 2014
I would delete 1.6.1 and quick time then reboot and try install again.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:10 AM - 10 April, 2014
Hey Caliguy,

Quote:
So Serato Video is more graphics intensive than HD streaming and current video games?

When running at high quality settings yes. It is professional software for professional use. If you meet the minimum system requirements by all means you can still use the software but do not expect to be mixing 2x 1080p videos with FX and 3 preview screens running at once as well as all the audio processing that is being done.

Quote:
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with a Core-i5 with a minimum 2.4 GHZ processor with turbo up to around 3.0 I believe. So on this MacBook Pro running on MAC OS I can run Serato Video just fine but When I Windows on it, the same exact laptop is inadequate for Serato Video? That doesnt make sense.

This is not a Serato problem, this is a Windows + Drivers problem. We have tested on multiple machines over the years and we have determined that the performance is poor with intel cards on Windows machines. We do not make the performance poor, but our testing has shown that it is. To protect our users we advise them not to use these machines.

With recent developments in the quality of these cards we have opened up our software so users can use the intel cards if they choose. We still do not officially support it because our in house testing still shows that performance is inadequate.

I am no longer sure what your question is? I have explained why we do not support intel cards and with the recent video release how users can try using their intel cards if they wish.

Sam
caliguy 6:17 PM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
I am no longer sure what your question is? I have explained why we do not support intel cards and with the recent video release how users can try using their intel cards if they wish.

Sam

OK Sam. I am of the opinion that its a driver problem not the integrated graphics card itself but I am not an expert. Maybe serato can use some 3rd party drivers or workarounds.

I will try what funkytownstopsix suggested.

Thanks.
Funkytownstopsix 8:01 PM - 10 April, 2014
Caliguy your the only guy I have ever heard of that owns a MAC and wants to do serato in windows via bootcamp the world is getting smaller. I am curios have you even tried mixemergency using your mac... if you did I don't think you would keep bootcamping into windows. Flip side ,,,,it simply runs better under osx then it does in windows.

Anyway the install of QuickTime or not recognizing it, will have nothing to do with drivers. Yet it would not hurt to check your drivers in the windows environment.

Good luck...
Funkytownstopsix 8:08 PM - 10 April, 2014
Just make sure you got what I was saying. Unistall 1.61 and quicktime, shut the laptop down start it again and install 1.6.1 Like I said I went through this on my PC same thing and even did as you did when and installed it from the website.. :) But I got it to work.. like you I opened a help thread but nobody helped me so I fixed and closed the thread. At least you got someone to answer from serato.
caliguy 1:10 AM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Just make sure you got what I was saying. Unistall 1.61 and quicktime, shut the laptop down start it again and install 1.6.1 Like I said I went through this on my PC same thing and even did as you did when and installed it from the website.. :) But I got it to work.. like you I opened a help thread but nobody helped me so I fixed and closed the thread. At least you got someone to answer from serato.

Thank you.
Funkytownstopsix 1:17 AM - 11 April, 2014
Is it fixed
caliguy 1:25 AM - 11 April, 2014
Havent had the time to re-re-re-uninstal 1.6.1 and then REBOOT and then reinstall all again.

Soon as I do I will post.

Thanks.
caliguy 3:02 AM - 11 April, 2014
Nope didnt work.

Still getting this stupid message.

Do we have to register with quicktime for quicktime to work with Serato?
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:14 AM - 11 April, 2014
Hey Caliguy,

You should not need to register quicktime, the free version is fine,

Try following these steps here to force your registry to use quicktime: serato.com

Let me know how you go,

Sam
caliguy 8:40 PM - 11 April, 2014
I will try that. Thanks Sam.
caliguy 8:52 PM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Hey Caliguy,

You should not need to register quicktime, the free version is fine,

Try following these steps here to force your registry to use quicktime: serato.com

Let me know how you go,

Sam

OK I just tried that and it didnt work.

I downloaded the registry modifier. Double clicked on it. Clicked yes when asked. Booted up Serato and still got the message.

I also restarted my computer, started up Serato and same message appears. :(
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:14 PM - 16 April, 2014
Hey Caliguy,

I that same article that I linked above, can you try forcing your registry to use directshow and then forcing it back to quicktime?

Sam
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:23 PM - 16 April, 2014
Hey Caliguy,

I have been discussing this issue with a few other staff here and I would also like you to make sure that you have updated the graphics drivers for the Intel GPU on your bootcamped partition. This is a necessity on a bootcamped machine as otherwise the Windows OS cannot successfully use the hardware.

Once that is done try reinstalling Quicktime.

Sam
caliguy 12:04 AM - 17 April, 2014
Thanks Sam. I didnt think about that.

Ill try that. Thank you
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:15 PM - 27 April, 2014
Hey Caliguy,

Sorry about the late reply, I have been away from the office over the easter break.

How did you go with this?

Sam
Asu 10:00 PM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
Thanks Sam. I didn't think about that.

Ill try that. Thank you

why not just move your music folder/itunes folder to the Osx side and run things from there?

you're gonna have issues because some of apple's hardware is setup to run perfectly on OSX...bootcamp is ok for microsoft office and such but not for professional DJing...i wouldn't risk it...other files are cross referenced between the two systems (windows & OSX) and that too may cause problems.

my 2 cents
caliguy 2:54 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Hey Caliguy,

Sorry about the late reply, I have been away from the office over the easter break.

How did you go with this?

Sam

Not yet.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Sam. I didn't think about that.

Ill try that. Thank you

why not just move your music folder/itunes folder to the Osx side and run things from there?

you're gonna have issues because some of apple's hardware is setup to run perfectly on OSX...bootcamp is ok for microsoft office and such but not for professional DJing...i wouldn't risk it...other files are cross referenced between the two systems (windows & OSX) and that too may cause problems.

my 2 cents

Good question. Because as I have stated before there are quite a few programs that I use that only run on Windows so I would prefer to keep to Windows vs having to log off and back on through the different operating systems. Ultimately keeping to Mac might be the only way.