Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ 1.6.1 Release

Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:19 AM - 25 March, 2014
All that for just a video fix???

*sigh*

Well at least now I have a choice between running Mix Emergency and Video.... Cuzz before I couldn't record a video set unless I was using Mix Emergency.... lets see how it works...
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:30 AM - 25 March, 2014
Never mind... Love you guys..... Reloops are now mapped with lights!!!

Much Love.....

in fact....

Kisses....

no homo....
dj shadow from detroit 12:45 AM - 25 March, 2014
no cpu fix or pitch n time ( nothing mentioned ) in the release notes.
Marine 1:37 AM - 25 March, 2014
No fix for the large library issue in the release notes either
DjCity 1:51 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:

Much Love.....

in fact....

Kisses....

no homo....

So...

The lights of the Reloop RP8000's now work with Serato DJ?!?
I have not even tried to use them because of that issue.

I have a Rane 64 (Serato DJ Only) and this was an issue.
Are you telling me that 1.6.1 SOLVES the lights issue?

Anything special you have to do to get the lights working?
dj shadow from detroit 1:51 AM - 25 March, 2014
they are so far behind. building this from the ground up while its unstable. smh i can honestly say this is horrible i been a user since 2005. makes me look at traktor more and more.
DjCity 1:53 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Much Love.....

in fact....

Kisses....

no homo....

So...

The lights of the Reloop RP8000's now work with Serato DJ?!?
I have not even tried to use them because of that issue.

I have a Rane 64 (Serato DJ Only) and this was an issue.
Are you telling me that 1.6.1 SOLVES the lights issue?

Anything special you have to do to get the lights working?
Marine 1:58 AM - 25 March, 2014
I bought the pioneer djm 900 srt and can't even use it with serato dj because of the crashes and how unstable it is. I have to hook my serato sl3 box to it and use scratch live because scratch live is stable.
pdidy 1:59 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
they are so far behind. building this from the ground up while its unstable. smh i can honestly say this is horrible i been a user since 2005. makes me look at traktor more and more.

What !! media.giphy.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:09 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
I bought the pioneer djm 900 srt and can't even use it with serato dj because of the crashes and how unstable it is. I have to hook my serato sl3 box to it and use scratch live because scratch live is stable.

Hey Marine,

Have you been in touch with our support team? They should be able to look into that and find out what's going wrong for you. Crashes shouldn't be something that's normal and we should be able to either see what the problem is or if there is an issue, make sure it's reproduced and reported to the development teams. You can open a help request here:

serato.com

Quote:
No fix for the large library issue in the release notes either

There has been a lot of work in the last update for memory optimisation and a whole lot more coming in another upcoming release which should have huge benefits for users with very large libraries. Yes, there's nothing specific to this release but we're doing work which will help you out.
Ragman 2:14 AM - 25 March, 2014
Working with developers at my job I can tell yuo guys this would be to soon to fix a major issue like the large db problem. Especially so soon after 1.6 came out. Have patience, it's coming. It will be all hugs and kisses after that.
acemc 2:19 AM - 25 March, 2014
So anyone who purchased the pitch & time or video plugins with a core 2 machine must buy a new mac or stay on 1.6 forever???
I have a mac 2.66 core 2. 8gb Ram. 320gb SSD (OS & apps) + 750gb 7200rpm Hdd (music)
CPU usage is up another 10% without even having video enabled. Overall performance is laggy & just plain crap! The ideas behind this update are great, however if it comes at the expense of anyone running less than a core i3 or i5, it shouldn't be done.
I'm really disheartened by this update.
dj shadow from detroit 2:24 AM - 25 March, 2014
They put out a pitch n time plug in release for purchase so people can beta test it. Im a huge serato supporter but very dissapointed.

Is the buffer issue fixed ?
cpu usage with the plug in activated while scratching ?

these are huge issues for stability.
Ragman 2:25 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
So anyone who purchased the pitch & time or video plugins with a core 2 machine must buy a new mac or stay on 1.6 forever???
I have a mac 2.66 core 2. 8gb Ram. 320gb SSD (OS & apps) + 750gb 7200rpm Hdd (music)
CPU usage is up another 10% without even having video enabled. Overall performance is laggy & just plain crap! The ideas behind this update are great, however if it comes at the expense of anyone running less than a core i3 or i5, it shouldn't be done.

Sadly it's 2014 acemc. Software companies are not going to continue to support old technology. Core 2 has been out for 8 years now.
dj vernon nyc 2:36 AM - 25 March, 2014
Do i have to pay for video again if i already have it?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:36 AM - 25 March, 2014
Hey DJ Vernon,

No, if you already have video installed and activated you will be fine :)
dj vernon nyc 2:39 AM - 25 March, 2014
Thanks! Now thats service!
acemc 2:48 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Sadly it's 2014 acemc. Software companies are not going to continue to support old technology. Core 2 has been out for 8 years now.

That's true, but.......How long has pitch & time been available to us?
It worked perfectly for me on 1.6. A month or two later & now I must get a new mac to use it? That's absolute BULL!! If I'm unable to use it on this & future updates, it's quite simple....... REFUND ME!
acemc 2:56 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
No, if you already have video installed and activated you will be fine :)

Don't Forget!!!!

And...... if your core2 machine magically transformed into an i3 or higher overnight.
Then you'll be fine.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:56 AM - 25 March, 2014
Hey Acemc,

Quote:
That's true, but.......How long has pitch & time been available to us?
It worked perfectly for me on 1.6. A month or two later & now I must get a new mac to use it? That's absolute BULL!! If I'm unable to use it on this & future updates, it's quite simple....... REFUND ME!

The spec requirements for PnT have always been i3 and above.
This has not changed between Serato DJ 1.6.0 and Serato DJ 1.6.1
acemc 2:57 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:

And for video???
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:59 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Don't Forget!!!!

And...... if your core2 machine magically transformed into an i3 or higher overnight.
Then you'll be fine.

If you want to use the video recording feature then yes you will need to update your computer to an i3 or higher. However Serato Video will still function fine on a core2duo machine. (all this info you can find on the spec requirements section)

Like I have said before, give it a go for a few hours and then hit up support if you feel its not performing like it should. They will be able to help you tweak things to get the best performance :)
pdidy 3:05 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

And for video???

@ acemc, Its very important to keep in mind....

"These are simply the minimum requirements to run Serato DJ and the Serato DJ Expansion Packs. For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you use a higher spec computer, preferably with an Intel processor."

serato.com

Minimum spec are not recommended for professional use....Sounds like its time for you to upgrade if YOU want to stomp with the BIG dogs.
acemc 3:15 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Minimum spec are not recommended for professional use....Sounds like its time for you to upgrade if YOU want to stomp with the BIG dogs.

My machine hardly broke a sweat with 1.6. That fact that it's grinding to a halt now doesn't certainly impress me. And if that is Serato's approach, I definately chose the wrong software. You wouldn't be moaning if it was YOU that suddenly needed a new mac?
"stomp with the BIG dogs" - Haha. Damn! I'll have to go hang with the puppies again.
I just want software that doesn't screw me over in just one update.
dj jamalot 3:24 AM - 25 March, 2014
you gotta upgrade those old machines i had a late 2010 3.06 I3 iMac and it was getting buggy so i upgraded to an I5 late 2013 2.90 with a 1 gig video card the old one had 512video ram and it made a huge difference...
dj shadow from detroit 3:26 AM - 25 March, 2014
I use a 2.9 ghz intel core i7
8 gigs of ram
with all the same issues.

just saying :)
dj jamalot 3:29 AM - 25 March, 2014
but whats on the video card...? thats the game changer. if it's a retina then i feel your pain, Mine are all running smooth now.
dj shadow from detroit 3:30 AM - 25 March, 2014
no retina
dj shadow from detroit 3:31 AM - 25 March, 2014
intel hd graphics 4000 512 mb
dj jamalot 3:32 AM - 25 March, 2014
I have a17 in 2.4 ghz I7 with 4 megs of ram and it runs better than the I5 with less CPU usage
but the I5 is 2.90 ghz wtf...
pdidy 3:33 AM - 25 March, 2014
acemc, what year is your mac ?

Is PnT, video or the 1.6 update causing the " grinding to a halt" ?
dj jamalot 3:35 AM - 25 March, 2014
Btw i don't use PnT... don't need it. that might be the problem...
pdidy 3:39 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
acemc, what year is your mac ?

Is PnT, video or the 1.6 update causing the " grinding to a halt" ?

Btw, I tried to review you help request in regards to addressing your issues but there doesn't appear to be any ?
acemc 3:42 AM - 25 March, 2014
pdidy - It's 2011 macbook pro.
When I disable PnT & video, things get marginally better. But still totally unusable.
The CPU spike's if I touch the platters. Serato gets sticky when I scroll through my playlists.
Video output is absolutely awful (choppy & jumpy). PnT sends cpu through the roof & waveforms hang. If I close 1.6.1 & start up 1.6.0 all is good again.
mr187 3:43 AM - 25 March, 2014
Still no ns7 Mic ?
Ill see when I get home.
acemc 3:44 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Btw, I tried to review you help request in regards to addressing your issues but there doesn't appear to be any ?

That's cause I've been posting here since I tried 1.6.1.
pdidy 3:48 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That's cause I've been posting here since I tried 1.6.1.

Well before you listen to any of my recommendations, get professional help from the support team and verify the actual issues. Posting in this thread doesn't count, we just talk here ;)
pdidy 3:49 AM - 25 March, 2014
Open a help request acemc
acemc 3:50 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Open a help request acemc

Will do.
Cheers.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:12 AM - 25 March, 2014
i'm drunk......

but my Reloop RP8000s have all the buttons working......

and the lights are working....

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO

Blue Mooooon...... With an Orange Slice is a Beast!!!!!! I don't care what anyone says..... Orange Slice and Blue Mooon.....

Is...

The.....
Shiznets.... I'm trying to make a mix right now in my drunken state..... had to celebrate!!!
DjCity 4:28 AM - 25 March, 2014
I've had 2 Blue Moons with Orange slices AND a Shocktop!

I still can't instant double though.
baltimoresdjtito 4:51 AM - 25 March, 2014
Serato Video in 1.6.1 only let's you record for 2 minutes and i keep getting to lower my output and keep messing with it but no luck ..
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:55 AM - 25 March, 2014
Watch me instant double drunk on some reloops....

lmao

instagram.com
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 4:59 AM - 25 March, 2014
Hi baltimoresdjtito,

A couple of things to note with the Serato Video recording feature;

If you are writing your recorded video file to the same drive that your music video files are coming from you may experience this issue.

If your internal hard drive is 7200RPM or SSD you should be ok to read and write video files at the same time. If it is a slower hard drive I would suggest setting your video recording location on an external hard drive and testing that.
DjCity 5:28 AM - 25 March, 2014
I think I get why I can't instant double.

I have it set so I can't load a track of one is playing.
Maybe that's the issue.

I still can't go from files to creates.
molina1 5:52 AM - 25 March, 2014
I was really hoping that in this release we would actually be able to midi map functions like library scrolling and loading. I just can't stop using scratch live when I am using my technics set up because of this. I can't stand having to be stuck in the computer to scroll through music and load it. I like using serato dj a lot with my ddjsx and soon enough I'll have a ddjsz to use as well but when I do a gig I'm bringing the turntables to I can't even consider using serato dj because of this. May seem small to some people but I feel the majority of people wanting to use serato dj's dvs function won't leave SL until a midi panel like scratch live or something similar comes to dj.
s4inny 8:27 AM - 25 March, 2014
Midi center??
DJ Ed X 9:12 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
I was really hoping that in this release we would actually be able to midi map functions like library scrolling and loading. I just can't stop using scratch live when I am using my technics set up because of this. I can't stand having to be stuck in the computer to scroll through music and load it. I like using serato dj a lot with my ddjsx and soon enough I'll have a ddjsz to use as well but when I do a gig I'm bringing the turntables to I can't even consider using serato dj because of this. May seem small to some people but I feel the majority of people wanting to use serato dj's dvs function won't leave SL until a midi panel like scratch live or something similar comes to dj.

Same boat as you bro
Yevrashka 9:20 AM - 25 March, 2014
What about Win8.1 x64 support? SDJ 1.6.1 still doesn't even want to start on it...
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:57 AM - 25 March, 2014
Core2duo and mixed emergency say no more record all day long :-)
A_Jack 10:03 AM - 25 March, 2014
Good update to Serato Video!

I'm sure stability fixes and midi-mappings will come soon.
DjSKum 11:40 AM - 25 March, 2014
Loving the ability to have sampler and fx etc on screen at the same time but is there any chance of adding the icicles back into stacked mode so we can fit fx and sampler on the screen and still see more than about 3 tracks of the library?

That would be great ;)
Mousey 3:25 PM - 25 March, 2014
GOOD UPDATE FOR THE CDJ850 GUYS! Thank you serato.
erivera941 4:20 PM - 25 March, 2014
ok updated to 1.61 my mac is 2 GHZ intel Core i7, memory 8gb 1333 MHZ DDR3
video CARDS are AMD HD6490m and Intel HD Grapichs 3000
never had a problem recording my video mixes on extrernal drives... now 2min in to the mix fault msg appears that the external dirve is to slow... at any video output... ie poor-high...
Help..
DevonMTL 4:22 PM - 25 March, 2014
Thank you Serato, An awesome job WTG. running rock solid here on dual core MBP.
Dj_Grinda 4:23 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
ok updated to 1.61 my mac is 2 GHZ intel Core i7, memory 8gb 1333 MHZ DDR3
video CARDS are AMD HD6490m and Intel HD Grapichs 3000
never had a problem recording my video mixes on extrernal drives... now 2min in to the mix fault msg appears that the external dirve is to slow... at any video output... ie poor-high...
Help..

A couple of things to note with the Serato Video recording feature;

If you are writing your recorded video file to the same drive that your music video files are coming from you may experience this issue.

If your internal hard drive is 7200RPM or SSD you should be ok to read and write video files at the same time. If it is a slower hard drive I would suggest setting your video recording location on an external hard drive and testing that.
djcrap 5:35 PM - 25 March, 2014
i was hopping for

1. pitch n time cpu intensity and usb drops fixes plus optimizations in performance of pitch n time

2. latency optimizations for dvs

3. midi fixes

4. Rane product related bug fixes for 68, 62,64 and sl4
boabmatic 5:37 PM - 25 March, 2014
@djcrap... there was new 62 firmware included with 1.6.1 to fix the SSL/SDJ issues plus new duck echo effect.
Alexander Mueller 5:47 PM - 25 March, 2014
Hi,

upgraded my Serato 1.6 to 1.6.1 on Windows 8.1 64 Bit (Installer as admin, run Serato as user). No problem with the software at all, works still fine with TerminalMix 8.

Big thanks to the Serato-Team :-) Keep on Keeeeeep oooonnn :-)
Wizzu 6:27 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
There has been a lot of work in the last update for memory optimisation
So I was not just "seing things" and fooling myself, then. :-)

With 1.6.1, I noticed that my 3rd backup laptop (Pentium!) can manage SDJ with effects, though with 1.6.0 couldn't use any effects on this machine without getting dropouts.

Kudos. Personally I'm also very glad that you guys fixed the MP3 autogain issue, this makes my life so much simpler.
Wizzu 6:29 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
CPU usage is up another 10% without even having video enabled. Overall performance is laggy & just plain crap!
Strange, here I have the opposite experience. Using PC laptops, though.
Dj Pappizzle (The Party Rocker) 6:41 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
What about Win8.1 x64 support? SDJ 1.6.1 still doesn't even want to start on it...

just patch serato dj with the 4gb patch and everything will load up and work smoothly. sadly i just tested this release and it hasnt fixed the bugs for windows. the patch works great. try it out
musiclee 7:29 PM - 25 March, 2014
why is Serato "crowding" the Code with Video?

half of us or more, don't want, don't use Video.

how about keeping Video separate, or create a Idfferent Serato for Video Guys,

Then Fixing those things that need to be fixed first before adding more stuff,
add sorting of Cues, fix lond library issue, cpu intensity issues, add support for HC4500,

fix things first, then add more stuff, that's all i'm sayin'
Serato, Support
Jamie W 7:59 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:

Windows 8 is supported :)

Quote:

how about keeping Video separate, or create a Idfferent Serato for Video Guys,

If you dont want Serato Video you can turn this off in the Serato DJ SETUP MENU / Expansions Tab menu :)
dj jamalot 8:02 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:

how about keeping Video separate,

Some of us make our living with Video... Those that don't just de select video problem solved.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:59 PM - 25 March, 2014
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:07 PM - 25 March, 2014
Hey Might Dragon Sounds,

Have you started a help request for that issue? If not, please do so and give us as much info as possible, make sure you link that video to. I'm sure we can figure out what's causing that.

Cheers.
Mr. Goodkat 2:01 AM - 26 March, 2014
conspiracy theory: the head guy left because he sees SDJ going the way of Windows after XP. he knows its only a matter of time before even though serato users are loyal, professionals cant rely on an inferior product so he bolted.
DJ Quartz 2:03 AM - 26 March, 2014
The Mic channel works on the NS7 in 1.6.1 for those who asked.
Ragman 2:04 AM - 26 March, 2014
^Only one problem with that. Windows 7 is better than XP. Just saying...
DJ Quartz 6:16 AM - 26 March, 2014
One thing I like is my theory was sound. I can switch from my NS7FX to the SL4 + Maschine setup seamlessly and vice-versa.
kebzer 2:34 PM - 26 March, 2014
Still no midi panel, no CPU usage fix and DVS latency fix. Just to mention the most important.

Serato, you gotta be kidding us right? I can only assume that you didn't made it on time for this release, BUT you are going to fix these things on the next release, right? RIGHT?

If you're not working on these already (max to be released in the next 2 months) be prepared to witness the biggest rollback in software since the XP/Vista shitstorm...

PS: I have already rolled back to SSL due to endless glitches and no mapping in library browsing.

PS 2: I'm on a perfectly healthy 2012 MBP i7 (no retina).
Gio Alex 2:41 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:

No disrespect. but core 2 is pretty dated. The first i5 MBP came out in 2010 and that was the 15", that's 4 years ago. In 2011 they did the i5 and i7s in 13" models.

Quote:

Quote:

What he said^^^ You need a new computer anyway. You got some good years out of it and I'm sure it has paid for itself many times already. You can easily get a used 2011-2013 model for 600-1000, easy! Even a new 13 is 1200, and that's a 2014 model. Retina for just a little bit more.
dj jamalot 3:16 PM - 26 March, 2014
i wouldn't get the 13 if your planning to do video my friend has a 2012 13 in and video is a problem with the shared video memory just my 2 cents.
DJ Quartz 3:17 PM - 26 March, 2014
^ That's what I did, I got an used 2011 model over a year ago when I switched from Windows and it still has warranty!
DJ Quartz 3:18 PM - 26 March, 2014
Point blank, new features need more horsepower.

We're lucky in this day and age where you can get 5+ yrs usage out of a computer.

I never used to be like that.
DJ Quartz 3:32 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
i wouldn't get the 13 if your planning to do video my friend has a 2012 13 in and video is a problem with the shared video memory just my 2 cents.

Agreed, 15" minimum
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:45 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, 15" minimum

15 inches is too big.................... *cough* she said...
Gio Alex 4:01 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:

I agree with that mostly... although, i have no issues with my late 2011 model. 256SSD in the main bay, 16gb of ram, and 500GB in the optical bay. What exactly is the problem with video in your friend's computer? Because I have no issues. Is your friend running a 5400RPM drive, low ram?

A 15" is NOT necessarily required to run video. If you're just mixing two videos and nothing fancy. Get a 7200RPM and/or SSD. If you consider the retina model even better choice. 15s are better graphics wise but I look at space/size when pimping out a machine.
Gio Alex 4:01 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, 15" minimum

15 inches is too big.................... *cough* she said...

LOL
DJ Quartz 4:02 PM - 26 March, 2014
Depending on what you need for screen real estate, that is the other question.
Gio Alex 4:06 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
Depending on what you need for screen real estate, that is the other question.

You are right about that.

I use projectors when doing video and the 13" screen size does not matter. (pause) I just need to see the song/vid selections anyway.

When I'm home I use an external 24" monitor. I don't do any production on my mbp. I got the desktop for that so my dj laptop isn't taxed with a buncha crap, runs fast.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:33 PM - 26 March, 2014
Latest video update on some issues...

www.facebook.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:44 PM - 26 March, 2014
Hey Kebzer,

Quote:
Still no midi panel, no CPU usage fix and DVS latency fix. Just to mention the most important.

Serato, you gotta be kidding us right? I can only assume that you didn't made it on time for this release, BUT you are going to fix these things on the next release, right? RIGHT?

If you're not working on these already (max to be released in the next 2 months) be prepared to witness the biggest rollback in software since the XP/Vista shitstorm...

PS: I have already rolled back to SSL due to endless glitches and no mapping in library browsing.

We are working on a MIDI panel for Serato DJ. With your CPU increase and DVS latency, we need more information from you as there is no general 'CPU issue' or 'DVS latency' issue in SDJ. So if you're having issues talk to our support guys, and we can determine what the problem is and go from there. We're quite confident 1.6 isn't Vista ;)
molina1 10:53 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
Hey Kebzer,

Quote:

We are working on a MIDI panel for Serato DJ. With your CPU increase and DVS latency, we need more information from you as there is no general 'CPU issue' or 'DVS latency' issue in SDJ. So if you're having issues talk to our support guys, and we can determine what the problem is and go from there. We're quite confident 1.6 isn't Vista ;)
molina1 10:59 PM - 26 March, 2014
I'm happy to here that Serato is working on a midi panel, I commented earlier in this thread about not using serato dj for dvs because of this. It's great for my ddjsx and all but until the midi panel is implemented I have to stick to scratch live and TRAKTOR being that I use a x1 mk2 for my controller to scroll and load tracks. I really do prefer using serato although I got both products. To be really honest DJ is way more unstable than SL and Traktor. I like DJ so I'd like to stick with and use it. I'm a guy whose sole income comes from Djing so I have to hold off on it until it's stable. For DVS any how. With the ddjsx it's great.
erivera941 1:19 AM - 27 March, 2014
ok, just one question why are you using AVI as codec for recording video...
would it be easier to use mpeg, ,, just asking
erivera941 1:20 AM - 27 March, 2014
that is why 7200rpm dirve's are required, with other codec's this would not be the case...
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 2:46 AM - 27 March, 2014
Hi erivera941,

The Serato Video Mix recording file type is our strategy for the first release of this feature.

Due to the nature of developing for both Windows and Mac, common file types and codecs have been used to allow for recording and playback on both platforms.

Motion JPEG codec for video and 48k, 16 Bit Wav for audio.

The file size is relative considering Motion JPEG frames aren't as highly compressed as some other formats.

There are definitely other possible cross platform video file containers that may be added in the future.

It is possible to record a Video Mix using a 5400RPM hard drive on a decent spec machine, but a 7200RPM or SSD is recommended.
kebzer 8:15 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
Hey Kebzer,

Quote:

Well Logan, first of all thanks for quoting me.

I'm gonna post these on the Tech team too, but here's a brief description of what's wrong with SDJ and me:

1. When Pitch N' Time is activated, even though the CPU usage shows up to 1/5 of the bar, when I start scratching or beat juggling, I get the red dot and clicks/pops out of the main outs. The harder/faster I cut, the more clicks I get. All without the CPU bar raising any bit. So, this has to be a CPU glitch, but not sure what.

2. With latency on my SL2 down even to 5ms, SSL was working like a charm. SDJ not even operating normally on 8ms (recomended setting) - completely destroyed sound output. Had to draw back to 11ms to make SDJ work with enough latency to scratch efficiently, but even with this setting I still get click/pops on the mains. So, I guess there is also a latency problem too.

Overall, my experience with SSL has always been absolutely perfect for one and only reason: I never had to calibrate anything or change any setting to make it work. It was ready out of the box. The upgrade to SDJ has been the exact opposite. I'm still experimenting with settings to make it work. And this experience is not fair for a Serato product. This is part of the user experience for inferior products, not the pro one.

Currently, SDJ is not being fair for your reputation on the market. I hope 1.7 will make up for the lost ground.

Anyhow though, untill we get at least the midi panel, I cannot go back to SDJ for usability reasons, and this is serious enough.
Mr. Goodkat 10:09 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
Overall, my experience with SSL has always been absolutely perfect for one and only reason: I never had to calibrate anything or change any setting to make it work. It was ready out of the box. The upgrade to SDJ has been the exact opposite. I'm still experimenting with settings to make it work. And this experience is not fair for a Serato product. This is part of the user experience for inferior products, not the pro one.

Currently, SDJ is not being fair for your reputation on the market. I hope 1.7 will make up for the lost ground.

Anyhow though, untill we get at least the midi panel, I cannot go back to SDJ for usability reasons, and this is serious enough.

what he said
DJ RoachC 10:16 PM - 27 March, 2014
Is it possible to sync your samplers to the music playing on deck 1 and 2?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:39 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
1. When Pitch N' Time is activated, even though the CPU usage shows up to 1/5 of the bar, when I start scratching or beat juggling, I get the red dot and clicks/pops out of the main outs. The harder/faster I cut, the more clicks I get. All without the CPU bar raising any bit. So, this has to be a CPU glitch, but not sure what.

2. With latency on my SL2 down even to 5ms, SSL was working like a charm. SDJ not even operating normally on 8ms (recomended setting) - completely destroyed sound output. Had to draw back to 11ms to make SDJ work with enough latency to scratch efficiently, but even with this setting I still get click/pops on the mains. So, I guess there is also a latency problem too.

Serato DJ is a completely different application from Scratch Live. There are lots of improvements, and a lot of new features in it, which will sometimes come at the cost of increased CPU. In particular Pitch'nTime DJ will increase the CPU, which means if your computer was working fine with Scratch Live, it might've been pushed just over the edge with Pitch 'n Time. It's hard for me to say though, I don't know your Setup or computer specs. The support team can help you find out the problem and what can resolve it. The same goes for your different latency setting, I don't see how it should differ that significantly but you'll just need to let the support team troubleshoot that with you.

We have lots of improvements coming for Serato DJ in terms of stability and features (like MIDI panel), but if you still aren't happy yet then stick with Scratch Live for now. The most important thing is to use what works best for you. Feedback is appreciated, it's how we make the software better :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:55 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
Is it possible to sync your samplers to the music playing on deck 1 and 2?

With a controller, yes. Sample player Sync with DVS (turntables/CDJs) will be added in an update.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:19 AM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Serato DJ is a completely different application from Scratch Live. There are lots of improvements, and a lot of new features in it, which will sometimes come at the cost of increased CPU. In particular Pitch'nTime DJ will increase the CPU, which means if your computer was working fine with Scratch Live, it might've been pushed just over the edge with Pitch 'n Time. It's hard for me to say though, I don't know your Setup or computer specs. The support team can help you find out the problem and what can resolve it. The same goes for your different latency setting, I don't see how it should differ that significantly but you'll just need to let the support team troubleshoot that with you.

We have lots of improvements coming for Serato DJ in terms of stability and features (like MIDI panel), but if you still aren't happy yet then stick with Scratch Live for now. The most important thing is to use what works best for you. Feedback is appreciated, it's how we make the software better :)

I dont understand how it is able to push my Late Model Retina Macbook with Maxed out specs over the edge.......... I paid over $2500 for this macbook.....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:33 AM - 28 March, 2014
Neither. That's why you need to start a help thread. Otherwise we won't be able to troubleshoot and help you.
Wizzu 10:37 AM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
I dont understand how it is able to push my Late Model Retina Macbook with Maxed out specs over the edge.......... I paid over $2500 for this macbook.....

Neither, #2.

As previously stated in another thread, I can run SDJ 1.6.1 (with a controller, that is, if it makes a difference) @ 2ms latency, with all FX + PnT enabled, on a low-cost Windows laptop with a mere Pentium 2020M!

So obviously this is definitly NOT a "horsepower" issue that you guys with faster machines than mine are experiencing.

The fastest car you can get will perform as intended, only if it's not overloaded with too much luggage, its engine is being take care of well, etc.. etc...

What comes to my mind is:
- unsufficent optimization + software clutter (unnecessary background services, Wi-Fi enabled, too many software utilities running in the background - specially with Itunes BTW, Antivirus...)
- lower-quality USB cables (an often overlooked problem)
- Fragmented drives

Then the slight overload caused by newer versions of DSJ is just the provebial straw that broke the camel's back.

If I can have SDJ 1.6.1 run flawlessly on this 2020M machine, you guys certainly can run 1.6.1 on your high end machines. You just have to put some effort into learning how to optimize them, and not rely entirely on software developers at Serato to magically lower CPU or memory usage.

This said, maybe the DVS interface changes this equation, I have no clue about that since I only use controllers.
kebzer 12:30 PM - 28 March, 2014
Wizzu, your experience might be true, but you are omitting a HUGE factor out of the equation (as you correctly notice yourself too): DVS use.

SDJ runs also perfectly on my machine (2012 MBP i7, 13"), with everything enabled and loaded. The problems start with the introduction of scratching with my beloved Serato timecodes. The more you push the software with advanced scratching, the more it crumbles. It's that simple.

And as I see, it's not only me with these problems. Actually, I can see a pattern here: SDJ + DVS + PnT = currently not working.
Wizzu 12:53 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
you are omitting a HUGE factor out of the equation (as you correctly notice yourself too): DVS use.
You're perfectly right, there seems to be an overall issue with DVS use.

I feel for you guys, and wouldn't like to sound like I don't care. You had a working rig with SSL, and with SDJ it's like the whole thing is broken. Believe me I know the feeling since I stick with ITCH when using my Twitch for similar reasons (broken usability).

I just wanted to point out that horsepower is NOT the issue, unlike several posters have stated in this thread. It's oversimplifying, and puts the blame where it doesn't belong. Besides, if the solution is always to upgrade to a faster machine, there is no end to this vicious cycle... I for one find that this whole "upgrade your machine" thing is not acceptable. I'd rather buy more music than a new laptop every 3 years or so.
acemc 12:56 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
Like I have said before, give it a go for a few hours and then hit up support if you feel its not performing like it should. They will be able to help you tweak things to get the best performance :)

So, I'll have to apologize to the Serato team for all my moaning about this update.
I'm not sure what changed since my last test, but my today I had a solid 3hr jam with 1.6.1.
I tested Serato video, all fx & with PnT enabled, it all worked flawlesly!
The only slight issue I had was a slight lag scrolling through my crates (which I know I need to reduce). Perhaps the mac just needed a restart? But whatever it was, things are working properly again - I'm a happy man! Thanks Serato & all the others that tried to assist me.
Wizzu 1:06 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
Perhaps the mac just needed a restart?

Which illustrates my point!

There seems to be a serious lack of computer knowledge among DJs.

A serious, professional real-time audio setup will never work properly without applying a minimal set of basic "healthy computer" rules of thumb...

I think I'll write an article on the subject (or link in my sig to a good one if I find it).
kebzer 1:07 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:

I just wanted to point out that horsepower is NOT the issue, unlike several posters have stated in this thread. It's oversimplifying, and puts the blame where it doesn't belong. Besides, if the solution is always to upgrade to a faster machine, there is no end to this vicious cycle... I for one find that this whole "upgrade your machine" thing is not acceptable. I'd rather buy more music than a new laptop every 3 years or so.

+1

I'm moaning because I also refuse to accept my MBP as the source of the problem. It is more than adequate to handle a lot of software workload, as it has proven itself (running SSL and Resolume Arena at the same time with 3 controllers hooked up via USB + a camera on FW). I understand that PnT needs a lot of horsepower to run on DVS mode, but it shouldn't need more than what I have. If it indeed needs more than an i7 with 8GB ram, then it doesn't suit me.

I'm not gonna drag myself into the upgrade wars, nor should any other. We're DJs, not gamers and an i5 with 4GB ram should still do the work and cover everything, let aside an i7 with 8GB ram.
acemc 1:20 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
I think I'll write an article on the subject (or link in my sig to a good one if I find it).

Please do!!
Wizzu 1:21 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
and Resolume Arena at the same time with 3 controllers hooked up via USB + a camera on FW). I understand that PnT needs a lot of horsepower to run on DVS mode, but it shouldn't need more than what I have.
It's there that IMO you're asking for too much. How much load can you put on a horse? If you keep adding load without taking anything off it, when the horse refuses to run, you just have to let something go.

Everything has its limitations.
DJ Quartz 2:56 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
I'm not gonna drag myself into the upgrade wars, nor should any other. We're DJs, not gamers and an i5 with 4GB ram should still do the work and cover everything, let aside an i7 with 8GB ram.

We were referring to the users struggling with Core2Duo machines, not i series.

No you shouldn't have to upgrade your laptop all the time but also, if you have a 5+ year old machine and want to run new software with higher requirements on it, you should expect some issues.

From my findings SDJ needs some optimization and the performance will be better.
Gio Alex 4:00 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

We were referring to the users struggling with Core2Duo machines, not i series.

No you shouldn't have to upgrade your laptop all the time but also, if you have a 5+ year old machine and want to run new software with higher requirements on it, you should expect some issues.

From my findings SDJ needs some optimization and the performance will be better.

You're right. i5 or i7 machine at least. They're not even that expensive. Couple of gigs will cover a current MBP.
Mr. Goodkat 8:11 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps the mac just needed a restart?

Which illustrates my point!

There seems to be a serious lack of computer knowledge among DJs.

A serious, professional real-time audio setup will never work properly without applying a minimal set of basic "healthy computer" rules of thumb...

wiz what i dont think you are getting is that SSL was known well for working with just about any computer and ease of use/stability. Some people here never used a computer to dj, and may only use a computer for casual internet usage. Serato has always been the go to for these type of users. The knock on Traktor is the need to understand computer applications more indepth and get a little deeper than most need or want. Thats why they ended up at SSL.

SDJ, while a totally different product(as described by one Serato board post), still comes from the same source, Serato.

The only thing we have to go by is SSL as far as our expectations from a Serato DVS product and the protocol by which SSL updates was released. Most SSL updates took a while, but they came with beta testing, and most ended up happy with the final updates. Now its just a bunch of questions. With the usb lights going on, is it the program? is it a glitch in the matrix? my computer can handle it, others can't, but my comp is very powerful just because i happened to buy a comp last fall. For a DVS system, none of these DVS programs should cause any issue(video is a different issue of course).
Wizzu 8:21 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
wiz what i dont think you are getting is that SSL was known well for working with just about any computer and ease of use/stability.
Yes I've got it. I've specifically and explicitly aknowledged it. Someone hasn't read all of my posts :-)

Even though I aknowledge this, it's nevertheless obvious to me that many DJs would benefit from some basic "healthy computer for real-time audio" guidelines and routines. Recognizing that SDJ is trickier and less well-rounded than SSL, and recognizing that there is a problem with computer knowledge among DJs that may explain lots of reported issues, are not mutually exclusive.

You can't even know how would SSL behave with PnT enabled since it doesn't even work with SSL. So for those specifically complaining that they have CPU overload with SDJ+PnT, comparing with SSL is comparing apples and oranges....
DJ Spinsane 9:56 PM - 28 March, 2014
Just downloaded 1.6.1 and now none of my tracks are playing smooth, the audio is clear but my waveforms aren't moving smooth, they are sort of lagging and not running with the actual audio that is coming out of my speakers. I tried going back to 1.6.0 and it did the same thing, any suggestions?
Mr. Goodkat 10:04 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
You can't even know how would SSL behave with PnT enabled since it doesn't even work with SSL. So for those specifically complaining that they have CPU overload with SDJ+PnT, comparing with SSL is comparing apples and oranges....

its still a dvs system using serato software. users question the new software regardless of plug ins or add ons if the perceived stability has decreased going from old to new and the old is getting phased out.
Zuck 11:04 PM - 28 March, 2014
I'm running Macbook Pro, 15inch, Early 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 &
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. With Serato Dj 1.6 and PnT my levels and CPU redline. I put in a help request on the 11th (that's 17 days ago). Only help I've gotten was the usual, "Uninstall and reinstall Serato DJ & make sure you're not running any other programs." Yeah, been with Serato for 7 years, I think I get that part. Problem is, it's is F'ed up!

Can I at least get a response to my help request, geez?! I did just pay you $20 :•)
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:53 AM - 29 March, 2014
I had a gig tonight.....

Using 1.6.1......

Audio poped a few times....

Latency went to crap once and I had to do the "fix"

I got drunk.....

I accidentally hit the video tab.....

Audio went to crap.....

I went on the mic and made a joke about giving away free Chinese Babies to women....

I restarted SDJ 1.6.1.....

Played the rest of the night.....

Got more drunk....

To the point where the audio popping stopped bothering me all together.....
Mr. Goodkat 4:49 PM - 29 March, 2014
i had 1 usb drop and a few light flashes last nite using cdjs and timecode. PNT plug is sounds so good though after using ssl the other nite and realizing how bad the time stretch really is.
DJ Quartz 5:28 PM - 29 March, 2014
That's what I noticed last night as well and I was disappointed I can't fully use SDJ yet.

The sound quality difference is major!
dj oz371 11:41 PM - 29 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Don't Forget!!!!

Then you'll be fine.

If you want to use the video recording feature then yes you will need to update your computer to an i3 or higher. However Serato Video will still function fine on a core2duo machine. (all this info you can find on the spec requirements section)

I have a dual core and just upgraded to new video and now I have no video on my screen but there is video output. What do i do? Gig tonight and I am in a bind!!
kebzer 12:36 PM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
and Resolume Arena at the same time with 3 controllers hooked up via USB + a camera on FW). I understand that PnT needs a lot of horsepower to run on DVS mode, but it shouldn't need more than what I have.
It's there that IMO you're asking for too much. How much load can you put on a horse? If you keep adding load without taking anything off it, when the horse refuses to run, you just have to let something go.

Everything has its limitations.

I'm not asking from SDJ to run all these at the same time. I just mentioned this workload to give a clear picture about my MBP operational status.

All the problems I mentioned about SDJ are evident with just SDJ + PnT running, without any other bells & whistles.
DJSCIASCIA 2:57 PM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
I had a gig tonight.....

Using 1.6.1......

Audio poped a few times....

Latency went to crap once and I had to do the "fix"

I got drunk.....

I accidentally hit the video tab.....

Audio went to crap.....

I went on the mic and made a joke about giving away free Chinese Babies to women....

I restarted SDJ 1.6.1.....

Played the rest of the night.....

Got more drunk....

To the point where the audio popping stopped bothering me all together.....

Sounds like a good night to me lol
DJ Quartz 3:00 PM - 31 March, 2014
MIDI Panel is a must...
Felonyruckus 11:06 PM - 2 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

So, I'll have to apologize to the Serato team for all my moaning about this update.
I'm not sure what changed since my last test, but my today I had a solid 3hr jam with 1.6.1.
I tested Serato video, all fx & with PnT enabled, it all worked flawlesly!
The only slight issue I had was a slight lag scrolling through my crates (which I know I need to reduce). Perhaps the mac just needed a restart? But whatever it was, things are working properly again - I'm a happy man! Thanks Serato & all the others that tried to assist me.

I always restart my MacBook Pro when i start a new session. I forgot to do it once and the computer was peaking the CPU and i just restarted the computer and proceeded with PnT enabled and recorded a 2 hour video mix. Not one hiccup after the restart.

Optimizing a computer hard for many people, like myself, I try to keep it as simple as possible. I have multiple lap tops for different functions and also as back-ups.
Mr. Goodkat 7:17 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
MIDI Panel is a must...

more quotes.

but seriously, this has to be a pioneer/serato agreement to sell more ddjsp1s?

it makes sense, but damn its shitty to make the one controller 400$

at least tell us there is a 6 month or year window until the midi spec gets right. or if its not so i can use traktor. i dont think i could go back to ssl and how bad that time stretch is. pnt spoiled me.
DJ Quartz 8:16 PM - 3 April, 2014
I hear you on the pnt plug in, the original sound quality is HORRIBLE once you start using pnt.

Anything with a long bass tone is just garbled on the standard keylock.