DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Q-tip Dj'ing at santos?

lotty 4:09 PM - 3 February, 2009
I heard q-tip(A tribe called quest)was a dj at santos nightclub in NYC and does his things which has people all over the east coast as far as D.C. going to see him. Even puffy is saying he is the best DJ in the game now.

I was wondering what is his playlist like?

www.mtv.com

Mr. Combs said the record-spinners are as much to blame as the people making the music.

"People have figured out the formula when they make records for radio, and DJs ain't DJs no more," he declared. "DJs don't break records no more. DJs don't play album cuts. DJs play what is going to move the crowd. DJs, they don't expose you to the newness. That was the DJs' thing. Hip-hop is in a recession also. It's not dead, it's definitely way better than where it was at, as far as with 'Ye, T.I. and with Jeezy. It's so much great stuff out there, the responsibility has to come with the DJs. I'm about to call the DJs out. 'Cause they are the future, and they gotta step it up. I can't keep turning on the radio no matter where I'm at and can't tell who's who.

"DJs used to have a style," Puff continued. "The hottest DJ in the game right now is Q-Tip. That right there is a DJ playing, taking you on a mind-travelling experience. Playing something and you're like, 'What's that?' " ...
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:21 PM - 3 February, 2009
This was brought up in off topic.....Its easy to have q-tip break new records cause hes already got a name hes a celebrity people want to see. Since he draws a huge crowd anyway he can break a record and people are like damn that song is tight. This as opposed to DJ...err ummm the one at the club i go to, who plays a new record for the crowd whos NOT there to just see the dj and gets starred at like hes an idiot while the line to request 'something I know' starts at his booth.
lotty 4:33 PM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:
This was brought up in off topic.....Its easy to have q-tip break new records cause hes already got a name hes a celebrity people want to see. Since he draws a huge crowd anyway he can break a record and people are like damn that song is tight. This as opposed to DJ...err ummm the one at the club i go to, who plays a new record for the crowd whos NOT there to just see the dj and gets starred at like hes an idiot while the line to request 'something I know' starts at his booth.

Yeah, I agree with this BUT I think it can be done by any DJ just in a different setting.

I think if DJ's play parties that are free like in a park or somewhere outside a club and throw on different type music I think we would see a resurgence in good music and most likely different genre because when people are getting good music and it's free they can't complain. This is how hip hop got started along with rent parties.

Being that the economy is about to get worse I think this would be the perfect time for this because police wont 't have time and money to monitor a party when other things need to be attended to. Again this is how and why hip hop got started. NYC police department was not funded enough to watch everything being done and ignored a lot of the parties going on.

Anyway, does anyone have q-tips playlist?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:47 PM - 3 February, 2009
That may work for NYC but what about everywhere else, I know where I am currently located the same DJ's and attendees who would go to the free park show are the same ones that would go to the club show, and since they prob wont hit both theyll pick the club one with the alchohol. That and police arent too busy around here to shut down a party. One thing we do try to do here is get the club djs together on odd holidays or try to arrange our hours on some weekends to have dj partys that are more off the radar so we can play some not so popular stuff
lvmez 5:21 PM - 3 February, 2009
q-tip had no choice but to become a dj, his last album sold 20,000 albums. he's broke. i'm sure he djing for a sandwhich.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:24 PM - 3 February, 2009
HAHAH like man did you see that crowd man throw me some fries with this...how bout a soda...COME ONNNNNNNN
shiestO! 5:33 PM - 3 February, 2009
come on ivmez it says you're from queens. little more respect for the man is due don't you think?

i dunno. tribe changed my life. if q-tip was broke and asked me for a loan i'd do it. haha.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:39 PM - 3 February, 2009
Id give him a sandwich if he asked,,,,and i wasnt hungry
SiRocket 6:04 PM - 3 February, 2009
don't understand how a man that made all those classics can't make anything hot anymore.... maybe thats why he bombed?? either way i still have a spot for him and what he did for my teen years growing up.
lvmez 6:51 PM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:
HAHAH like man did you see that crowd man throw me some fries with this...how bout a soda...COME ONNNNNNNN

lol. man i have mad respect for tribe. i grew up listening to them. it's unfortunate they were around in the era where there wasn't alot of cheddar in the industry. they each mad 30k from the low end theory album. i thought is last album was good but the new generation wasn't feelin' it. i think it's pathetic that he has to dj now to stay in the spotlight. he needs to get a job in the industry behind the scenes.
AMF 7:14 PM - 3 February, 2009
Why is it a bad thing that Q-Tip is DJing? Call me stoopit, but I don't get it. =P
djaction 7:18 PM - 3 February, 2009
its only a bad thing if hes a bad dj
lvmez 7:21 PM - 3 February, 2009
i just think someone of his status in hip-hop, shouldn't start djing after so many years. especially after he just dropped an album that sold 20k. in my opinion it looks desperate to stay in the limelight.
DJ CISC0 7:26 PM - 3 February, 2009
OK fine Q-Tip can DJ....
but can he do the Wonderwall remix?
papsworth 7:40 PM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:
i just think someone of his status in hip-hop, shouldn't start djing after so many years. especially after he just dropped an album that sold 20k. in my opinion it looks desperate to stay in the limelight.

That's fucking BS. He should DJ if he wants to. The NY scene is fucking hurt right now except for a very small handful of parties. And if he's got love for nightlife and music, Well we need more of that not another bandwagon new jack with delusions of grandeur, biting playlists and running the same sets that have been going on for 10 years now. There are more DJs than ever right now but less creativity than ever. Shits pathetic.

Tip has been DJin regularly for a few years now and Santas is not set up to be a mainstream club it's a throwback to what clubs used to be, where DJs have some freedom to be creative and not worry about losing their jobs the next week.
AMF 7:41 PM - 3 February, 2009
Has anyone heard him spin? I've read some articles that his parties be off the chain. What that means, I dunno. It could mean it's a good chill vibe (and no dancing)... or it could be a saturday night AMF party! lol.

I'd like to hear about one of his gigs.
lvmez 7:49 PM - 3 February, 2009
i think that's why he is good, is because he is playing at joints where he is allowed to play whatever he wants. every dj wants that. but that's not possible. his status allows that. let him play tenjune where all the hipsters hang out and play what he wants to play. no one will dance and he will not be invited back. i'm not saying he isn't a good dj or he doesn't know muisc. i'm sure he is good. but he is playing at certain venues because of who he is. plus i'm tired of seeing old school actors/singers trying to dj because they couldn't cut in there own lane.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:31 PM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:
Why is it a bad thing that Q-Tip is DJing? Call me stoopit, but I don't get it. =P

Its like going to red lobster and emril comes out to take your drink order, ya its cool for you but hes kinda past that. If hes doing it because he likes it and he thinks its fun then awsome more power to him. If hes doin it cause he cant do music anymore or get some kinda industry job then its sad.
shiestO! 9:50 PM - 3 February, 2009
i'm assuming that he's doing it for his own enjoyment. regardless of recent releases, q-tip is and has always been on a level that everyone in this thread should wish to be on, including myself.
papsworth 10:03 PM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:
i'm assuming that he's doing it for his own enjoyment. regardless of recent releases, q-tip is and has always been on a level that everyone in this thread should wish to be on, including myself.

Definitely!

I'd rather go to a club and see Q-Tip behind the decks than Wilmer Vilderalmos. Or even worse some transplant from a fly over state wearing neon headphones whose myspace pic looks like an A-Track clone and gets all his music from Hypem and discobelle.
T-SWIFT 10:09 PM - 3 February, 2009
What difference does it make why he's spinnin'? If he can bring it back to the way it used to be then that's great! If not... oh well. Look, he's not taking our jobs and if he is then we couldn't have been that good from jump. If he's doin' it for the love, GREAT! If he's doin' it for the money, GREAT! I don't care. I'd love to see and here him spin to see what he brings to the game. For the haters... ya'll need to quit acting like he just pee'd in your corn flakes.

PEACE!!!
Gamble 10:26 PM - 3 February, 2009
It's a good party, an actual "dance" party in nyc with a "dance floor." Both very hard to find in the bottle jungle. He mostly plays 90's classics and older.
DJBlisk 12:18 AM - 4 February, 2009
Its the same argument!!!!

People go to see Q-tip DJ. Therefore he can drop anything he wants and people will be more open to it. And if he really is a dope dj than that does make him supreme.

Try putting a dope dj who knows nobody in a dope club drop dope shit, the dance floor will clear.
DJBlisk 12:22 AM - 4 February, 2009
Its the same argument!!!!

People go to see Q-tip DJ. Therefore he can drop anything he wants and people will be more open to it. And if he really is a dope dj than that does make him supreme.

Try putting a dope dj who knows nobody in a dope club drop dope shit, the dance floor will clear.
papsworth 12:53 AM - 4 February, 2009
That's only partially true, it depends on the venue.

You have places in NY that people do not want to hear the standard hits and you have others that do. Cross the lines at either and people will leave, celeb or not.
papsworth 12:54 AM - 4 February, 2009
I mean status will grant you some freedom, but not total.
DJBlisk 1:07 AM - 4 February, 2009
True... I'm generalizing. But the main focus is the same, if Q-tip plays it and its dope, one might be more inclined to be open to it if one came to the club because one wanted to see Qtip dj.

Its very true for most if not all the best djs.... from Ztrip to Tenaglia..

but of course there are a lot of dope djs who still cater to a crowd becuase they have to, like most of the vegas djs who are straight fire but still have to play all of the top 40 stuff.
papsworth 1:38 AM - 4 February, 2009
Yup exactly...
Joshua Carl 2:36 AM - 4 February, 2009
wtf... what about JAROBI!

I HATE when I see someone like puffy say something like that.

try to put out a mix cd on a major label with album cuts (not singles)
and unreleased music see how fast your ass gets sued.

we USED to break records, back when we were in record pools and the labels sent
us tracks MONTHS before they hit the street...now they are more worried about their trust fund...gotta do nothing but constant collabs and what not.
how often do we see a solo artist, do nothing but a solo album.
everysong is designed to make money...there are NO MORE B-sides.

its the underground diddy, you checked out a long time ago.
now go design me a new Sean Jean sweater.
djquinn 2:49 AM - 4 February, 2009
When Q-tip DJs he calls himself The Abstract. I've heard him DJ several times. He is a draw. You tell people that Q-Tip is DJing and they will roll through. He plays a little bit of everything. He plays some top 40, he plays new hip hop, old school hip hop, New York records, Down South records. He's from Queens so he tends to play a lot of Queens records and then he gets on the mic and says shit like, "Is Queens in the house?!". He also plays a lot of classic R&B and Funk. Technically he's not the best. He tries to scratch but doesn't really pull it off. His selection is interesting though. I think the fact that he isn't really a DJ is what makes him interesting to listen to. And Santos is the perfect venue for him to do his thing. It caters to a more "underground" crowd. The people go there specifically to hear "good" music. And Q-Tip is a known and respected name in music so when you hear his voice on the mic it validates the experience. It's the same thing for Biz Markie or Nick Cannon. They're not "amazing" DJs and not primarily known for DJing but they have personalities. And because of that they will be a draw. Are they going to change the way DJs play records like an AM has or a or Ztrip or Q-bert or the way Grandmaster Flash did or the way Larry Lavan did? Probably not. And for the record. Diddy doesn't really know what he's talking about half the time. Especially when it comes to music. I'd take business advice from him before I'd take music advice. His new album that he's releasing that supposedly sounds so different is basically just more Auto-Tune. Awesome. Can't wait.
DJ'Que 4:23 AM - 4 February, 2009
Q.tip been a dj b4 nothing new.just like Dj Quik use to be a dj to b4 he was a rapped.the thing is club djing dont have to be scratchers just blends all night.but if ur famous u can be a wack dj but make money from the bar and the door which im sure he's getting its like a free concert.last month T-Pain dj at the 740 club in cali for 1hr. it might of been wack but he brought a crowed and got paid.its go be more artist djing soon cuz of serato and the other programs out.they dont have to wonder what song goes with the song their playing just go by bpm's and thats it.instant dj.
Joshua Carl 6:26 AM - 4 February, 2009
ya know the economy is fucked when million dollar artists are spinnin tunes to pay for the rims on thier 6th car
Jay Sol 7:07 AM - 4 February, 2009
whats crazy is there are a bunch of rappers / artists / producers who are / were dope DJ's before they were doing what they are doing now. ie: Paul Wall, Lil Jon, the list goes on...

i'm sure Q-Tip can rock a party. it's not rocket science, its DJ'ing. as long as you got basic music knowledge, rhythm, and know how to read a crowd, you can be a dope DJ. even Talib just started DJ'ing.

i say, go q-tip, he still gets rotation in my sets, and i would love to hear him spin.
DJ Jonasty 3:14 PM - 4 February, 2009
I guess the real question is...... is he using ssl?
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:28 PM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
ya know the economy is fucked when million dollar artists are spinnin tunes to pay for the rims on thier 6th car

Were talkin about Q-Tip here though hes probably spinning to pay to get a flat fixed on the car he bought hwhen he was with tribe
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:29 PM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
last month T-Pain dj at the 740 club in cali for 1hr. it might of been wack but he brought a crowed and got paid.its go be more artist djing soon cuz of serato and the other programs out.they dont have to wonder what song goes with the song their playing just go by bpm's and thats it.instant dj.

Did he keep the vocoder effect on through the entire set??
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:32 PM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
That's only partially true, it depends on the venue.

You have places in NY that people do not want to hear the standard hits and you have others that do. Cross the lines at either and people will leave, celeb or not.

But you have to assume if Q-Tip is DJing they are promoting it as his show and charging alot extra at the door, its not like people are just wandering in off the streets like whos this guy this dj sucks. The room is prob 85 to 95 percent people who came to see him spin based on who it is. And his core audience are people who prob dont want all top 40 anyways. They could hear some stuff thats never heard before and since its Q-Tip its 'real hip hop'
AMF 4:19 PM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
last month T-Pain dj at the 740 club in cali for 1hr. it might of been wack but he brought a crowed and got paid.its go be more artist djing soon cuz of serato and the other programs out.they dont have to wonder what song goes with the song their playing just go by bpm's and thats it.instant dj.

Did he keep the vocoder effect on through the entire set??

Q-Tip shoulda used autotune on his album. He prolly woulda sold more than 7 copies... =P
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:46 PM - 4 February, 2009
LOL !!!! 7 copies??? was it a double cd??
CHINONY 5:06 PM - 4 February, 2009
Q-TIP Has Always DJIED!!! Get Your Facts Right, Before He was an artist he was cutting it up.
AMF 5:45 PM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
LOL !!!! 7 copies??? was it a double cd??

lol!!!!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:49 PM - 4 February, 2009
You wacker than the motherfucker you bit your style from
You ain't gonna sell two copies if you press a double album
Admit it, fuck it, while we comin out in the open
I'm doin acid, crack, smack, coke and smokin dope then
My name is Marshall Mathers, I'm an alcoholic (Hi Marshall)
I have a disease and they don't know what to call it
Better hide your wallet cause I'm comin up quick to strip your cash
Bought a ticket to your concert just to come and whip your..AHAHHHHHH sorry guys had a relapse to the 90s there....i really need medication for that
sixxx 7:39 PM - 4 February, 2009
I'll never understand why people are afraid of breaking records. The excuse the I hear a lot is "well, he can do it because he's a celebrity, or well known, or whatever". Seriously, breaking new music IS A SKILL that a lot of old DJ's knew how to do. Unfortunately, a lot of new DJ's know shit about it and a lot of veteran DJ's just gave up cause they got tired of pushing. (no baby)

I still break new music at my spot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So, what? I'm still in control. Just cause you break a new song and you don't get the reaction you thought it'd get, you don't have to play the whole damn song. You're in control, or should be. Play the damn song, if they don't feel it, mix something new in. You're not iTunes. You're a DJ. You're not a jukebox. You're a DJ.

Q-Tip isn't new to DJing... so please learn your history (or about someone) before you speak or type. He may not be the best, but he gets the job done... and apparently, rather well... regardless of his status.

And, as far as saying that Q-Tip DJ's cause he's broke or he only sold 20K on his last album and therefore he needs to DJ to be in the spotlight... come on. Get the fuck out of here. Q-Tip's classics will keep him rich. Q-Tip has music in his veins and DJing is just another venue to vibe to music.
DJ TOGTFO 8:29 PM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

lol. man i have mad respect for tribe. i grew up listening to them. it's unfortunate they were around in the era where there wasn't alot of cheddar in the industry. they each mad 30k from the low end theory album. i thought is last album was good but the new generation wasn't feelin' it. i think it's pathetic that he has to dj now to stay in the spotlight. he needs to get a job in the industry behind the scenes.

lol, you don't know shit. Quit reading hip hop blogs for your main source of info. The man is PAID
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:46 PM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ya but jokes about him bein a rich celebrity dj just arent as funney :P. Dude is paid cause no matter what his albums sold hes also got those movie gigs

lol, you don't know shit. Quit reading hip hop blogs for your main source of info. The man is PAID
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:47 PM - 4 February, 2009
damn my quotes never work
Kadilac 12:45 AM - 5 February, 2009
For the record, The Abstract's got some hot shit on his new album.
Kadilac 12:45 AM - 5 February, 2009
What about this cat?
www.worldstarhiphop.com
lvmez 5:25 AM - 5 February, 2009
i have to disagree with some of your comments sixxx. sow aht he has hip-hop in his veins. i saw run from run dmc spin here in nyc once. he used to dj before he rapped as well. HE SUCKED! all the hipsters were loving it but that doesn't mean he is good. i'm q-tip has good song selection, but imo, he is ruining is legacy by djing for a sandwhich. just my opinion.
sixxx 5:26 AM - 5 February, 2009
I haven't seen Q-Tip DJ so I can't comment as to whether he sucks or not. However, I haven't seen anyone (or a lot of people) say that he sucks....
lotty 2:55 PM - 6 February, 2009
Diddy explains what he means and I do agree with him.

Diddy Blog #37: A Message To The DJ
Watchwww.youtube.com
Jader 3:35 PM - 6 February, 2009
Quote:
Just cause you break a new song and you don't get the reaction you thought it'd get, you don't have to play the whole damn song.

haha yep. chorus... verse... chorus... no chemistry? NEXT!
kf 5:17 PM - 6 February, 2009
Quote:
q-tip had no choice but to become a dj, his last album sold 20,000 albums. he's broke. i'm sure he djing for a sandwhich.

this is q-tip ... you know what im gonna say right? that im not broke and my album sold more than 20k blah blah blah... now that that is done. i dj because i started out djying. i love music!! i grew up in a new york where bobby knoders used to spin HOUSE! when dj jules would rock at nell's red alert (one of my heros) would crush at latin quarters till 4 am then we wld head up to the S&S club to hear him do after hours.. HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT TO DJ?? now? alot of club djys are FORCED to play "inside the box". you know , commercial? SO i wanted to play music that isnt normally heard. I will be the first to admit i cannot cut a record like qbert but i can hear whats good and can REALLY read a crowd! i learned from red alert kid capri and clark kent. i just want to do my part to bring nightlife to a higher ground in NYC... land of the DJ. is this ok? the jokes are very funny and creative btw... p.s. im not mad just wanted you guys to know.
kf 5:19 PM - 6 February, 2009
im not broke... hahahaha
Joshua Carl 5:29 PM - 6 February, 2009
looks like the abstract can pay his internet bill at least ;).....

riiiiight.
DJ LTIZZZLE 6:07 PM - 6 February, 2009
ha ha ha if KF is really Q-tip LOL
De LA 10:27 PM - 6 February, 2009
It is...I linked him to this page on Twitter.
DJ GaFFle 11:44 PM - 6 February, 2009
Quote:
ha ha ha if KF is really Q-tip LOL

He may be dude. He's been an Serato forum member since late '05. (K)amaal Ibn John (F)areed is Q-Tip's Islamic name... Looks legit to me.

Welcome to the board (again) KF. If you're really Q-Tip, come down to the 'A' and spin a gig with Rasta Roots and Soloman at MJQ. That event would be on hit...
DJ TOGTFO 2:24 AM - 7 February, 2009
man, that dude Solomon is a whack - ass Korean.
DJ LTIZZZLE 6:05 AM - 7 February, 2009
Quote:
this is q-tip ... you know what im gonna say right? that im not broke and my album sold more than 20k blah blah blah... now that that is done. i dj because i started out djying. i love music!! i grew up in a new york where bobby knoders used to spin HOUSE! when dj jules would rock at nell's red alert (one of my heros) would crush at latin quarters till 4 am then we wld head up to the S&S club to hear him do after hours.. HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT TO DJ?? now? alot of club djys are FORCED to play "inside the box". you know , commercial? SO i wanted to play music that isnt normally heard. I will be the first to admit i cannot cut a record like qbert but i can hear whats good and can REALLY read a crowd! i learned from red alert kid capri and clark kent. i just want to do my part to bring nightlife to a higher ground in NYC... land of the DJ. is this ok? the jokes are very funny and creative btw... p.s. im not mad just wanted you guys to know.

Big ups bruh. I've always been a fan. Glad to see you getting back to your roots. Class act right there..
DJBlisk 7:24 AM - 7 February, 2009
Can we get sine tribe called quest stories?
djtrippin 11:13 AM - 7 February, 2009
big ups to qtip... keep doing your thing, we appreciate you.
rasta 4:37 PM - 7 February, 2009
This is Rasta Root....are you guys serious? Let whoever wants to dj for whateva reason they have. Tht's how I live my life....who cares anyway? Let Q-tip or who ever dj without question....thats why i dont come on these boards...something aint right when grown ass men spend all day online talkin about other men.....just aint right..shouldn't you all be djing somewhere or practicing??..anyway..big ups to Dj solomon, Dj Gaffle....and oh yeah kamaal..well written......
DJ TOGTFO 6:11 PM - 7 February, 2009
rasta, i hear youre a fake ass jamaican wannabe, and that your boy Solomon is the REAL rock wilda, rude bwoy jamaican rasclot. Don't bring scary business here!
sixxx 10:09 PM - 7 February, 2009
Ooh. This thread has potential now.... lol
Flipsta 1:28 AM - 8 February, 2009
Q...never mind the haters.

A Tribe Called Quest is my favorite hiphop group of all time, you have been an inspiration to myself and countless other artists.
DeeJay*CASPER 3:10 AM - 8 February, 2009
i dj'd with Q-Tip one time and he didnt play NOTHING new.....his old school set was bananas especially his old school reggae set.