DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato control vinyl

DJ Willie Biggz 12:26 AM - 12 March, 2014
What up ppl!

gotta question.
I just got some new vinyls but for some reason my needle jumps/skips when i try to juggle or backspin, BUT on my older vinyls the needles work perfect! and the tone arms are on the same settings. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks in advanced!
 6 2:05 AM - 12 March, 2014
Are they warped?

nm
DJ Willie Biggz 3:15 AM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Are they warped?

nm

They are brand new so I would think not?
Laz219 3:18 AM - 12 March, 2014
Being brand new doesn't mean they can't be warped.
DJ Willie Biggz 3:26 AM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Being brand new doesn't mean they can't be warped.

How can I tell if they are warped?
Laz219 3:35 AM - 12 March, 2014
Look at them?
Jesus Christ 4:37 AM - 12 March, 2014
Have you checked the tonearm fluid? Low fluid can definitely change the way a turntable handles new vinyl.
AKIEM 7:18 AM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
What up ppl!

gotta question.
I just got some new vinyls but for some reason my needle jumps/skips when i try to juggle or backspin, BUT on my older vinyls the needles work perfect! and the tone arms are on the same settings. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks in advanced!

Are they the same color vinyl? Are you playing the same files? Same gig?

You gotta give more info bro. nm
DJ Willie Biggz 10:47 AM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
What up ppl!

gotta question.

Thanks in advanced!

Are they the same color vinyl? Are you playing the same files? Same gig?

You gotta give more info bro. nm

Different colors. And yes the same files and I just tested them at home, I just got them in yesterday
DJxChris 2:03 PM - 12 March, 2014
Sounds like a warped records. Look at the records and if they are not completely flat then they are warped. Warped records will cause needle jumping when scratching and making quick movements.
DJ Willie Biggz 2:15 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Sounds like a warped records. Look at the records and if they are not completely flat then they are warped. Warped records will cause needle jumping when scratching and making quick movements.

Thanks!
bicedidit 3:11 PM - 12 March, 2014
vinyls need to be oiled for best use.

wd-40
Jesus Christ 3:21 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
vinyls need to be oiled for best use.

wd-40

^ This.

Also, it can't be warped vinyls. They're new and unless you left them out in the sun or next to the oven after you unwrapped them, they should be fine. It definitely sounds like a lubrication issue. Either a good WD-40 rub-down or have your tonearms' fluids checked and topped off.
djpuma_gemini 3:28 PM - 12 March, 2014
Also, the black vinyl has deeper grooves than the colored ones. Not sure why they did this, but it's true. The clears are the worst for deep grooves.
AKIEM 3:28 PM - 12 March, 2014
I don't know - pretty sure he is just not used to the color switch.
Mike_P 3:35 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
have your tonearms' fluids checked and topped off.

I just had mine done and it makes a WORLD of difference! A great place to have it serviced is www.astroavl.com . They are in LA though so I don't know what shipping would be like from your area. BUT I know for a fact that they will walk you through the process on the phone if you have never done it yourself before. I had some friends tell me that they tried to play dumb and not explain the process to them, but just be persistent and ask for a manager. Good luck.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:11 PM - 12 March, 2014
Also the light makes the color vinyl spin slower than the blacks. Black vinyl absorb light - color vinyl reflects the light off the vinyl and that can cause the needle to jump.

If you use color vinyl make sure that the club lights aren't hitting your color vinyl. A strong light like a strobe can literally knock your cartridge out of the groove.
Jesus Christ 4:20 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Also the light makes the color vinyl spin slower than the blacks. Black vinyl absorb light - color vinyl reflects the light off the vinyl and that can cause the needle to jump.

If you use color vinyl make sure that the club lights aren't hitting your color vinyl. A strong light like a strobe can literally knock your cartridge out of the groove.

True story! I saw it happen many times at old raves. That's why they started using nothing but CDJs in the EDM scene. The light shows were just hell on records.
AKIEM 4:21 PM - 12 March, 2014
That and blind your ass. I've seen DJs with bright color vinyl get those blinding flashes of light put them into mini a seizure and bump the needle - they didn't even know what happened to them.
Jesus Christ 4:23 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I just had mine done and it makes a WORLD of difference! A great place to have it serviced is www.astroavl.com . They are in LA though so I don't know what shipping would be like from your area. BUT I know for a fact that they will walk you through the process on the phone if you have never done it yourself before. I had some friends tell me that they tried to play dumb and not explain the process to them, but just be persistent and ask for a manager. Good luck.

Most places don't want the liability of unsealing your tonearms. Especially since they stopped making 1200s and the replacement parts are harder to come by. That's why places like Astro and PSSL.com will play dumb and not admit that they offer the service.
Mike_P 4:38 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Most places don't want the liability of unsealing your tonearms. Especially since they stopped making 1200s and the replacement parts are harder to come by. That's why places like Astro and PSSL.com will play dumb and not admit that they offer the service.

Oh I see! I thought they were just being dicks. Lol!
CMOS 4:49 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For real just be persistent, I had to go through 3 different people on the phone before one of them explained how to remove the cap and replace the fluid.
bicedidit 5:06 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol. so did i. but i still recommend spraying wd-40 everywhere.
Mike_P 5:06 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For real just be persistent, I had to go through 3 different people on the phone before one of them explained how to remove the cap and replace the fluid.

See? They put you through hell, but the end result is well worth it.
Jesus Christ 5:07 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you look on Youtube, I remember seeing some instructional videos on how to do it yourself, but do so at your own risk. The first thing to remember is that you have to brace your turntable to stand on it's back so when you uncap the tonearm, the fluids that are in there don't spill all over everything. Also, a friend of mine told me that instead of buying the fluid from a Panasonic distributor for $30 for 2.5 oz, you can use "Type F Transmission Fluid." You can get that for like $6 a quart at Pep Boys.
djsoloassassin 7:28 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Have you checked the tonearm fluid? Low fluid can definitely change the way a turntable handles new vinyl.

Put the fluid in the dipstick hole
Jesus Christ 8:18 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Put the fluid in the dipstick hole

They only have that on the 1210 M5Gs and the gold limited editions. Mine are M3Ds. No dipstick hole.