DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

from the clubbanger thread... what's the most played music genre in your city?

uncle ricky 4:09 PM - 30 January, 2009
I was reading the end of the club banger thread and thought about starting this.

charlotte, n.c. we are playing top 40 and hip hop... during the peak hour you can squeeze in some EDM but if you go in to hard or stay there too long the crowd will let you know it... all the sole EDM clubs are smaller.. and we even have a shift lately to playing a couple country songs in the mainstream clubs... uck that ish., I got fired from whisky river for not playing country which I was cool with, but went down the street to fill the night and was asked two play a little country there as well.. it sucks I gotta move!!!
anyway how about your city?!?
Caramac 4:18 PM - 30 January, 2009
In the ''black dances'' its mainly reggae and rnb mixed with some funky house. You can play rap but nothing too hard/lyrical (read good).
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:26 PM - 30 January, 2009
Its all top 40 here, a few hood clubs that play more hardcore rap. Almost all of the djs try to push in Flordia breaks and E-Hop but most crowds arent having it. Theres a core audience for it and we have special parties for them,
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:27 PM - 30 January, 2009
I could be totally wrong but i dont think your going to find much diversity through this thread, ive been around and top 40 is pretty much the standard for the country right now. Like I said though I could be wrong
uncle ricky 4:30 PM - 30 January, 2009
what cities?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:33 PM - 30 January, 2009
Mobile Al, Biloxi Ms, New Orleans LA(Breaks fly a little better here), Gulf Shores AL
uncle ricky 4:40 PM - 30 January, 2009
we had a pretty big fla. breaks movement here also that has kinda died about 3 years ago.. I miss some of those tracks.. I was really feelin some of that stuff.. j break and infiniti etc.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:42 PM - 30 January, 2009
I LOOOVEEEE to play FL breaks thats my genre of choice, especiall infiniti, jbreak ect but I see why its going downhill because there really arent any quality new tracks coming from that genre most are just kind of fruity looped up and dont have that depth and soul that the original ones had
uncle ricky 4:47 PM - 30 January, 2009
yeah I feel ya on the diversity tip.. it was just weird for me to read that in Chicago if you are not playing house or edm u are not playing... I did see felix da housecat there about five years ago and couldn't believe the hypness, but I played the next night.. top 40 hip hop stuff and some breaks... to a pretty good response... is it all edm up there now? anybody know
uncle ricky 4:54 PM - 30 January, 2009
it feels like to me they all went or tried to go uk... calling it nu skool I miss the straight fla. sound .. bass beats..rolling huappy synths that shit was nice
dj_soo 7:26 PM - 30 January, 2009
#1 - top 40
#2 - hip hop (mainstream stuff)
#3 - electro/hipster/mashup shit
#4 - House

We have a fantastic dubstep scene but it's not in clubs for the most part - only warehouse parties and undergrounds. Our dnb scene is anemic but it's better than it was a couple years ago. Breaks are no longer really in clubs other than the occasional headliner like stanton warriors or krafty kuts. Non-mainstream hiphop is huge in this city but only for big headliner acts. Not too many regular club-nights with that kind of vibe.
sopranosupasta 11:00 PM - 30 January, 2009
#1 - top 40/hip hop (mainstream stuff)
#2 - Reggae
#3 - electro/hipster/mashup shit
#4 - House
DJ Sniffles 4:01 AM - 31 January, 2009
That's what I love about NYC. it's sooooo damn diverse, I couldn't tell you what really reigns out here.
djbee64 4:45 AM - 3 February, 2009
ive spun in NYC/NJ a few times...i love it out there...you are absolutely right! they love it all...damn i wish i lived up there..

i live in baltimore...the clubs i spin at are mainly top 40/hip hop and reggae/dancehall oriented...of course Baltimore Club too...the real Baltimore club...some of the newer ish is wack! who needs some real Baltimore club?? not some of that wack stuff i hear in other cities, coming off as baltimore club!...haha..just my opinion..
DJ d.range 4:57 AM - 3 February, 2009
people will tell you top/40 hip hop

Quote:
That's what I love about NYC. it's sooooo damn diverse, I couldn't tell you what really reigns out here.

^^^but that right ther's is the truth
frost-9 5:41 AM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:

I mean... yes and no here...

I don't think people should take this as 'hey, you can be as eclectic as you want and the crowd will follow you' -- because that couldn't be further then the truth. When you think NYC is diverse here, think... every single night is a different adventure. You'll have people that go bananas for old freestyle, or you get a group of house heads, or people that want to hear reggaeton, or 80's, or cheesy rock, and yeah, sometimes they'll tolerate bmore tracks, but it's really about how you play it.

From my personal experience (which is worth a grain of salt) the city has been more overrun by Top 40 in the last 5 - 6 years just like the rest of the country. I've dj'd here for over 8 years, doing several gigs a week, and I'll tell you I can count on two hands the number of times I've been impressed by a request. 95% of the time, the hot blonde bitch waving at you when you're trying to mix is gonna be asking for Single Ladies.

Yes, the city is diverse in the sense that you never know who's going to walk in on any given night, but again, don't think you can go from Felix da Housecat -> 90's Hip Hop -> Glam Rock and have everyone jumping. They're really not all they're eclectic, you just get different crowds that react more favorably to certain genres (in addition to their Top 40) on any given night.
DJ Sniffles 5:59 AM - 3 February, 2009
I meant in terms of available venues....not all the genres you can fit in your set
frost-9 7:06 AM - 3 February, 2009
^^ werd, we're like a good whore house. there's something for everyone. ;)
DJ d.range 8:55 AM - 3 February, 2009
In NYC you could walk into a random bar/lounge and hear some genre you ain't never heard, yet, the place is packed, and everyone knoews all the songs
frost-9 9:34 AM - 3 February, 2009
In the east village, sure..
DJ LTIZZZLE 9:35 AM - 3 February, 2009
Well I'm here in Iraq. I have troops from Cali, NY, TX, Fla, and Midwest. There is another Dj here on camp too. He get's away with playing all the old krunk music. Basically, cause they know that's all he have in the tank. Me mean while I was taught to spin good music (all genres).. On my nights they expect to hear new music. So, I tend to play a pretty good mix set. They really prefer the south, but the way I mix I'm able to push it. So, I have them jamming to Electro, Bmore, RnB and varies Hip hop. But really it depends on how you mix your sets. If you time it right you can drop old skool shit like (Next - too close) Or some Bobby brown. It depends on how much your crowd knows and trust what you're doing...
DJ d.range 6:30 PM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:
In the east village, sure..

east village, west village, uptown, LES, midtown, Brooklyn...

seek and you shall find
frost-9 8:02 PM - 3 February, 2009
dude.. name one midtown bar/lounge/club that isn't a tourist haven with mainstay clientele rocking to a genre I've never heard before.
DJ d.range 8:32 PM - 3 February, 2009
go to korea town
DJ d.range 8:34 PM - 3 February, 2009
I've also seen African parties @ midtown spots, can't remember exactly where
Jay Sol 4:56 AM - 4 February, 2009
polka...
frost-9 5:17 AM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
go to korea town

true true.. haven't been over there in ages. korean bbq is da shiznit.
bullfrog 5:53 AM - 4 February, 2009
blue grass
DJ Sniffles 6:38 AM - 4 February, 2009
yea...I've been to a few indie/house parties in midtown with the bohemian hipsters
DJ Sniffles 6:42 AM - 4 February, 2009
yea...I've been to a few indie/house parties in midtown with the bohemian hipsters
DJ d.range 5:33 PM - 4 February, 2009
DJ d.range 5:34 PM - 4 February, 2009
yea...I've been to a few indie/house parties in midtown with the bohemian hipsters.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:40 PM - 4 February, 2009
Quote:
yea...I've been to a few indie/house parties in midtown with the bohemian hipsters.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:41 PM - 4 February, 2009
Jay Sol 6:05 AM - 5 February, 2009
Jay Sol 6:05 AM - 5 February, 2009
yea...I've been to a few indie/house parties in shittown with the bohemian hipsters
DJ Prinvale` 6:49 AM - 5 February, 2009
mainly top40 stuff in Chico. It's a college town so I'm not really surprised. I can get away with breaking some dope ish though...I just have to be very selective and make sure I drop it at the perfect time.
Niral 6:22 PM - 5 February, 2009
In NYC, you pretty much get everything, but the majority of the clubs are hip hop.
agentorange 7:07 PM - 5 February, 2009
^^not true. that means that's the only clubs u been to. i've been to mad underground joints in the meatpacking district like 10 years ago and they were rockin mad jungle, dnb, hard house etc. they were all over before meatpacking became overrun with uptown heads.
agentorange 7:08 PM - 5 February, 2009
i prefer rock venues. what happened to continental and cbgbs man!!!!!!

<thumbs down/fart sound>
frost-9 9:01 PM - 5 February, 2009
I miss Filter 14.
DJ LTIZZZLE 6:01 AM - 6 February, 2009
Quote:
i've been to mad underground joints in the meatpacking district like 10 years ago and they were packing mad asses,

I guess that's how the NY get's down ;-)
agentorange 2:14 PM - 6 February, 2009
^^^ hahahah. u know i never really thought about how funny "meatpacking" can sound, 'cause i grew up with it. but, now that you mention it, that ish sounds hilarious! hahaha

but a little beackground info for you out of towners: it's a district where they really packed meat. old factories got converted to underground/out of the way clubs (awesome scene, really), then they became overrun with retards; just like the rest of manhattan <no offense>.
Caramac 2:56 PM - 6 February, 2009
Lol my mate was like we're going to the meat packing district tonight 1st time I was there. I was like errrr no.
Jader 3:29 PM - 6 February, 2009
here in raleigh, nc it can somewhat depend on the club you go to, but the majority of clubs that have strong weekends have a dj playing hip hop/top 40.

the EDM crowd is smaller with house and jungle always at war, but still strong with events every weekend and during the week. someone even started a zine.
DJ LTIZZZLE 4:05 PM - 6 February, 2009
Watchwww.youtube.com

ha ha ha.. I'm going to start playing polka music over Opra LMAO
DJ CISCO 3:07 AM - 7 February, 2009
Well it all depends on what night and what venue here in Chicago.
Some clubs play house most of the night with hip hop and top 40 here in there..
Some do it vice versa...
Some strictly have house all night.
Some striclty have hip hop all night.
Some college and white boy bars play top 40 and rock. (Lincoln Park/Depaul area)
The clubs that I spin at I have to play everything and reading the crowd is essential..
33% hip hop, Top 40 radio crap, with reggaeton
33% spanish (salsa merengue bachata)
33% House (chicago house, electro. top 40 house)