Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Things to know: Scratch Live to Serato DJ

8:44 PM, 25 Feb 2014
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
Twoscoops 4:15 AM - 26 February, 2014
I upgraded my hardware from an SL1 to an SL2 box so I could use Serato DJ. In the past, I have mapped my serato functions including, cue points, loops, fx, samples, a midi rolls to an mpd24. Since acquiring my SL2 box and serato DJ, I am unable to map loop rolls to my mpd24. This seems like a major oversight. I feel you may be intentional forcing users to buy newer supported hardware such as the pioneer spd1. As an avid proponent of serato for years, this is disappointing. I would love to hear of any work arounds for this problem.
DJ Yaitanis 5:59 AM - 26 February, 2014
You got that right brother Midi mapping is no where in 1.6. In addition there seems to be some kind of glitch when using CDJ 2000 Nexus in HUD. The needle marker on the CDJ jumps around. Some kind of glitch.
djflairmastah 9:56 AM - 26 February, 2014
HOW ABOUT USING RANE 68? ANY UPDATE? RANE 68 STILL HUNG WHEN USING SDJ
djflairmastah 9:57 AM - 26 February, 2014
AND I HOPE YOU CAN FIX THE PRIMARY DECK OPTION IN RANE 68 USING SDJ
DJ Raven KL 11:18 AM - 26 February, 2014
No Beat Jump, No Smart Sync, HID CDJ 2000 Browse Jog oversensetive & limited button for deck control. can't MIDI map with DJM 900nexus only the faders. Quantize mode not sharp enough. still, there was a long way more to go Serato. Keep up! hopefully will see all this features added in future.
dj aguiroxy 11:20 AM - 26 February, 2014
friends you are abandoned sl2 sl 1 users, do not forget that there are users everywhere the world.
MORRIS0625 2:30 PM - 26 February, 2014
I am disappointed in the hold process, which was suppose to be smooth. If you read the numerous posts it has been a disaster! I use the 61 mixer and since I updated my litunes libray is missing 2500 tracks + - midi mapping is an issue with the mixer. The waveform in horizontal mode is extremely long with no way to adjust it but in scratchlive (dispaly & audio cache) allowed you to shrink the distance. I have put in help tickets and tried all the recommendations. Maybe they should have made sure the switch was smooth before it was pushed on us like the next best thing. TOTALLY PISSED OFF WITH SERATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daveybumper 6:10 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
You got that right brother Midi mapping is no where in 1.6. In addition there seems to be some kind of glitch when using CDJ 2000 Nexus in HUD. The needle marker on the CDJ jumps around. Some kind of glitch.

Im getting the same glitching when using turntables and a Rane 62. Trying to set a cue point by moving the record into the right position can be harder than it should be. Needs sorting!
mikhailperalta92@gmail.com 7:22 PM - 26 February, 2014
it won't auto loop if the bpm isn't set. big gripe for me coz i often play using some acapellas which sometimes doesn't have the bpm tag..
Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:59 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
The waveform in horizontal mode is extremely long with no way to adjust it but in scratchlive (dispaly & audio cache) allowed you to shrink the distance. I have put in help tickets and tried all the recommendations.

You should be able to adjust the waveform using the + and - keys on your keyboard. Can you please link me the help requests you opened - I'll take a look at them for you.

Cheers
Aaron
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:02 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
it won't auto loop if the bpm isn't set. big gripe for me coz i often play using some acapellas which sometimes doesn't have the bpm tag..

I'm afraid I'm not aware of any software that can set an Auto Loop when no BPM (or beatgrid) is present. Is it possible?

Friendly tip: you might want to change your user profile from your email address. Spammers are always on the look out for email accounts... Let me know if you would like me to do it for you.

Aaron
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:35 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
I upgraded my hardware from an SL1 to an SL2 box so I could use Serato DJ. In the past, I have mapped my serato functions including, cue points, loops, fx, samples, a midi rolls to an mpd24. Since acquiring my SL2 box and serato DJ, I am unable to map loop rolls to my mpd24. This seems like a major oversight. I feel you may be intentional forcing users to buy newer supported hardware such as the pioneer spd1. As an avid proponent of serato for years, this is disappointing. I would love to hear of any work arounds for this problem.

The MIDI panel is coming back to Serato DJ. I can't say when but it's not forgotten! Just out of scope for this initial Serato DJ 1.6 release.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:36 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
HOW ABOUT USING RANE 68? ANY UPDATE? RANE 68 STILL HUNG WHEN USING SDJ

Have you been in touch with support? Updated firmware?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:37 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
AND I HOPE YOU CAN FIX THE PRIMARY DECK OPTION IN RANE 68 USING SDJ

Do you mean being able to switch to the channels being arranged 1 2 3 4 rather than 3 1 2 4 ?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:38 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
friends you are abandoned sl2 sl 1 users, do not forget that there are users everywhere the world.

The SL 2 is supported completely. The SL 1 isn't, because of purely technical reasons as the hardware is not up to the standard required today and in the future. We're not deleting Scratch Live though :) Just only updating Serato DJ.
djmacklong 11:55 PM - 26 February, 2014
saved loops are not carrying over from SSL, and the ability to drag and cue points into a different order is no longer available. neither is the "auto-sort" function for cue points that's a nice feature in SSL.

is a firmware update required for SL2 and 61 as well? I'm getting major USB red-light issues with both of those, and the 62. I can't update the firmware on my 62 at the moment so I'm still using it with SSL, but there's no mention of a firmware update being necessary for SL2 and 61 and I'm having the same dropout issues. Can't even use SDJ in a live setting if I wanted to. 1.6 beta worked perfectly fine on my 62 with the buffer set all the way down at 1.

Just fyi, I'm running a 2.8ghz i7 with 16gb ram and 512 SSD. "USB dropouts" shouldn't even be mentioned in a conversation with my computer for any reason, yet there they are.
RNSE-NM 3:03 AM - 27 February, 2014
Any information for a 68????
m3cht4ps 6:31 AM - 27 February, 2014
I have numerous issues with my 68, one of the big ones is the fact that loop adjustment knob does not work in SDJ. I can't set cue points, too many to name. I did update the firmware, no change.
mikhailperalta92@gmail.com 4:25 PM - 27 February, 2014
another issue.. i tried hookin it up using sl2 and cdj.. and it keeps on skipping..note its in rel mode… maybe I'm gon stick with scratch live for a while
King Cut 6:29 PM - 27 February, 2014
Haven't made the switch yet, but with the SL4, can one comp run SDJ and while the other runs SSL?
SchematicRat 9:34 PM - 27 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Im getting the same glitching when using turntables and a Rane 62. Trying to set a cue point by moving the record into the right position can be harder than it should be. Needs sorting!

@Daveybumper
That's always been a prob for me w/ SL3 w/ vinyl. Apparently that's been fixed when using the Performance Series vinyl. I need to go get some.
DJFG 6:02 AM - 28 February, 2014
Thinking of getting the new Pioneer 900 w serato built in. I'm currently still running off the SL1 box so I know I'll instantly be jumping into the Serato DJ hardware that is being used now if I make the purchase. Does anyone have have any type of feedback good or bad regarding this hardware-software collaboration with Pioneer & Serato? Thanks
DJ Yaitanis 11:58 AM - 28 February, 2014
I believe there are still some inherent issues with the DJM900S.
Mr. White 3:45 PM - 28 February, 2014
Can you turn on/off Sync from the mixer using the Rane 61?

Similar to the Rane 62. Just curious.
Asu 7:22 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Can you turn on/off Sync from the mixer using the Rane 61?

Similar to the Rane 62. Just curious.

NO...USE SHORT CUTS
DJ.fonic 10:05 PM - 26 March, 2014
I'm thinking of up grading from my sl1 to a sl2. Due mainly to scratch live 2.5 not being that good, even though there is a promise to fix the bugs. I have to load it several times to get the midi to work correctly.
I also just brought a numark mixtrack pro 2 midi controller.
which I use serato intro 1.2 for small mobile gigs.
I have down loaded serato dj 1.6 which I have to pay £99.00 to use with my mix track pro2!
My question is if I buy a sl2 will I have to pay £99.00 as well to use it on serato dj ?
In the past buying a Rane sound card has come with free software and upgrades.
I picked Rane with Serato originally for this reason.
It seams that more and more charges apply now.
If any one can let me know if charges apply for using each controller or if one charge covers all controllers and if a charge will apply for each new version of serato
dj?
Maybe it's time to change to other software!! : (
Dj MacMillz 10:24 PM - 26 March, 2014
SSL will not be updated anymore. (We will be lucky to even see bug fixes at this point, EOL is Jan 2015, SDJ replaces as the stand alone software, and Intro well.....yea for intro users)

If and when you buy the SL2, SDJ will be free to you to use with that hardware, so on that part you're good to go.

SDJ however will not unlock for the MTP (yes even if you have compatible Rane hardware) simply because once it detects the Intro controller and no stand alone license, it will just display the offline player.

The charge of the upgrade (for intro level controllers) will indeed only be a 1 time thing, so future upgrades will be fine.
DJ.fonic 10:44 PM - 26 March, 2014
Thanks MacMillz,

Im happy now you've cleared that up.
I will stick with my sl1till I can pickup a cheep sl2.
The MTP is just for small gigs when theres no room for 1210's or to much hassle to lug them up a flight of stairs!!
Serato intro will have to do for this as it not worth paying out just to use this hardware on sera to dj.
The main reason to buy the MTP was to be able to use scratch live creates setup the same as in scratch live. Lucky Serato intro uses scratch live crates so its 100% hassel free skipping between intro with MTP and scratch live 2.5 with sl1.
Thanks for your help
Dj MacMillz 10:55 PM - 26 March, 2014
No Problem.
Eddie Blendz 12:01 PM - 11 April, 2014
I really need/want the midi mapping panels/functions on SDJ just like it was in SSL. Hopefully everything on the screen can be mapped with a newer update.
DJ Raven KL 4:05 PM - 24 April, 2014
Serato pls add Smart SYNC to Rane Soundcard users…. and Beatjump…
Dj MacMillz 4:59 PM - 24 April, 2014
I don't think Smart sync will be available for DVS, well at least not for TT's, as there is no way to avoid the natural wow and flutter of turntables, eventually they will drift.
djmacklong 5:41 PM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
Serato pls add Smart SYNC to Rane Soundcard users.

not gonna happen.
ziad 5:09 PM - 27 April, 2014
the relative mode can't be used in serato dj as same as the scratch live??
djmacklong 5:24 PM - 27 April, 2014
yes it is.
ziad 5:37 PM - 27 April, 2014
how can i use the cue points? when i press play it jump and start from another place
djmacklong 7:36 PM - 27 April, 2014
Go to Setup. Under "ON SONG LOAD" check the "play from first cue point" box.
ziad 8:37 PM - 27 April, 2014
many thanks macklong but it's not what i meant,
i usually work on relative mode, the problem is when i choose a cuepoint to use and when i press play on my cdplayer, it doesn't start from this cuepoint like scratchlive, it jump and start from another place,
djmacklong 10:56 PM - 27 April, 2014
Based on what you wrote both times, my above post is what you need to do. Relative mode/cue points work exactly the same in SSL and SDJ.
Jensen Määäm 11:52 PM - 27 April, 2014
Quote:
Based on what you wrote both times, my above post is what you need to do. Relative mode/cue points work exactly the same in SSL and SDJ.

It should, it should, but people are reporting cue points jumping, when they use SDJ with CDJs in relative mode, it's a know issue!
djmacklong 12:04 AM - 28 April, 2014
ahhh ok.
ziad 3:15 PM - 28 April, 2014
so we need to wait for a newer fixed version
Gloom 12:30 AM - 2 May, 2014
things serato needs to know, you need not release new software until you kno it works. ive tryed serato dj and all the new updates and it still doesnt work, a ton a things wrong with it. and i have a 6 month old macbook and a rane 62 with technics and nothing but problems.

i live serato but cmon guys release until it works.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:36 AM - 2 May, 2014
Hey Gloom

It would be really handy if you could put all your issues into an email and get it to support@serato.com. The Support team would be more than happy to take a look and try resolve them for you.

Cheers
Aaron
djmacklong 2:06 AM - 2 May, 2014
I tried that and haven't gotten a response in almost a week.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:03 AM - 2 May, 2014
Not possible sorry djmacklong. The oldest request in our inbox is from Yesterday and I can't find any help requests from you either.

Are you sure you emailed support@serato.com? Get it in there and we'll help you out man!

Aaron
djmacklong 5:48 AM - 2 May, 2014
Here's one from a couple days ago. I couldn't post an actual "help request" because there isn't an option for asking for help on multiple devices with the same issue. I did, however, specifically direct a mod to it in another discussion, who assured me that he'd respond, but never did.

serato.com
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:14 PM - 4 May, 2014
Fair enough man, we are working on a new help request system that will allow the selection of multiple devices and/or give an 'Other' option.

For the meantime, I have moved your help request to the Pioneer help area so someone should get to it for you soon. I'll bump one of the team. Even if the help request form can be a challenge to complete sometimes, it's much better to get a help request in rather than open a general discussion as help requests get a much higher priority.

Cheers
djmacklong 10:04 PM - 4 May, 2014
I got a response. Thank you.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:00 AM - 5 May, 2014
Cool, no worries!
ziad 12:56 PM - 20 May, 2014
the issue in the relative mode for cdj users was successfully fixed in the serato dj 1.6.3 update, thank you serato team for your efforts , best team ever…
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:42 PM - 20 May, 2014
Hey no problem man, thanks for the thanks :)

We in the Support team are super happy to see this one done and dusted, too!

Cheers
Aaron
DJ Raven KL 4:03 PM - 14 June, 2014
I would like to ask can Rane SL4 run 2 software both SDJ and SL at the same time? with USB A & USB B.

Because i'm using SDJ when switching another DJ he is using SL, So i wonder if it works then it will be convenient.

Thanks.
djmacklong 5:37 PM - 14 June, 2014
This is possible with the 62, so it should be fine with the SL4.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:49 PM - 15 June, 2014
Yep, no problem DJ Raven KL. You can run Scratch Live and Serato DJ together with your SL4.

Aaron
DJ Raven KL 9:56 PM - 16 June, 2014
Thanks.
Jensen Määäm 7:32 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Yep, no problem DJ Raven KL. You can run Scratch Live and Serato DJ together with your SL4.

Aaron

Aaron, please let the people know how to do a changeover, when you make this staement, cuz it is a bit tricky and if you make a little mistake it can ruin your evening! Just saying it is possible makes it look easy, when it's not.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:15 AM - 5 August, 2014
Sure man, the best information can be found here: serato.com

It's written for Serato DJ to Serato DJ, but the Scratch Live side works just like it always has. We are working on a video for this as we know users do have trouble with it.

Cheers
Aaron
Jensen Määäm 10:32 AM - 5 August, 2014
Tutorial videos are perfect and a big help for many people.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:34 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
Tutorial videos are perfect and a big help for many people.

Absolutely, it's been something we've been wanting to do properly for a long time. We did do it a little in the past, but we now have everything in place to really cover the video space into the future.

Cheers
WalterDeans 3:56 AM - 4 December, 2014
Once again the Rane 68 seems to be making life difficult. For some reason the song on my left deck is the only side playing through both channels.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:27 PM - 7 December, 2014
Hey WalterDeans

Hit us up at support.serato.com and one of the team will help you troubleshoot that.

Alternatively, our friends at Rane are always helpful too: dj.rane.com

Cheers,
Aaron
MRESSENCE 2:46 AM - 22 February, 2015
Has all the bugs been resolved when switching over to sdj with the 68?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:17 PM - 26 February, 2015
Hey MRESSENCE

The Sixty-Eight is running very smoothly with Serato DJ. The one thing you can't currently do compared to Scratch Live is MIDI map the user layers for the cue point buttons on the mixer. If that's not an issue for you, then it's 100% :)

Cheers,
Aaron
MRESSENCE 10:32 PM - 27 February, 2015
Thanks Aaron, I'll dl it tonight.
DEEJAY DANNY 408 6:08 AM - 2 October, 2015
If I buy A second hand sl2 can I get serato Dj free?
Dj MacMillz 11:06 PM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
If I buy A second hand sl2 can I get serato Dj free?

Yes the SL2 will unlock the full program..but only when the SL2 is connected
Dj Kevin B 2:43 PM - 8 June, 2016
I am using SL ,scratch live 2.2 but my DJ-FX don't work
Dj Kevin B 2:44 PM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
I am using SL 1,scratch live 2.2 but my DJ-FX don't work
Dj Kevin B 2:47 PM - 8 June, 2016
I am using SL 1,scratch live 2.2 but my DJ-FX don't work ?
Dj Kevin B 2:47 PM - 8 June, 2016
I am using SL 1,scratch live 2.4 but my DJ-FX don't work
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:28 PM - 8 June, 2016
Hey DJ Kevin B

Best to open up a help ticket with the support team for this. Hit the 'Open Help Request' button next to the comment box and someone will work through it with you.

Thanks, Aaron
Dj Kevin B 10:46 PM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
Hey DJ Kevin B

Best to open up a help ticket with the support team for this. Hit the 'Open Help Request' button next to the comment box and someone will work through it with you.

Thanks, Aaron

I don't get u Aaron E pls
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:25 AM - 9 June, 2016
It would best if you open a help ticket for this so someone can work with you to resolve it. Go to support.serato.com and fill out the form to open a ticket. One of the team will then be in touch to help.

Cheers
Charlene/aka/Shay 7:14 PM - 20 September, 2017
Why can't I use my denon 3500 cd turntable dump button with my scratch life?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:55 AM - 21 September, 2017
Hey Charlene

I don't know the 3500s awesomely well, but I believe the 'dump' button is to enable slip mode? For this to work, you need to be in Absolute mode with control CDs

Cheers