Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mac Users: Protected AAC Files

kalibhakta 9:31 AM - 28 January, 2009
I've been messing with this for awhile and getting nowhere.

This makes me not a big fan of ITunes store because I cannot use files I bought legally with SSL.

What I am trying to do is burn them to CD and then rip, but my MacBook is just importing them as protected files again!

I tried to convert them, but that didn't work either.

Nice to get F***ed when you pay for something; if I was stealing music I might be having a better time of this!
kalibhakta 9:46 AM - 28 January, 2009
I'm about to break cell phones.
Caramac 9:55 AM - 28 January, 2009
Lol Smash a mobile.
kalibhakta 10:04 AM - 28 January, 2009
HAHAH

Alright here is one method I just tried which worked...

Open Imovie slapped in a photo then imported the protected track. I then exported the 'movie' as an AIFF to my desktop.

Then, I reopened the file in Itunes and converted it to an MP3.

Now, I bought this from ITunes store and it was only 128 KBPS to begin with. I think that is kinda shitty on its own. Then importing it into IMovie and back into ITunes to concert to MP3...

I honestly cannot tell the difference, but I am half asleep now and doubt I will even get into the practice mix that started this whole mess.

But show so you guys know, this trick does work on the fly.

I could not get the CD thing to work. If you have done this, please give me the details.

And smash not one, but two mobile phones ;-)
Caramac 10:27 AM - 28 January, 2009
One being an iPhone just to show Apple how upset you are.
bourbonstmc 5:12 PM - 28 January, 2009
Change your iTunes preferences to write CD's in .mp3 format.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:21 PM - 28 January, 2009
Make sure you burn them as audio to an audio cd.
CMOS 8:31 PM - 28 January, 2009
Virtual CD Drive, save the money on CD's

www.noteburner.com
DJ Nick Lee 8:39 PM - 28 January, 2009
I think the problem is in your importing preferences. By default itunes imports tracks as 128kb aac files. Make sure you are importing files as mp3's or whatever you prefer.
kalibhakta 8:46 PM - 28 January, 2009
I set the importing preferences to MP3 and that just did not work...

Maybe what Chad S. is saying is correct. I just drug them to the CD and maybe that isn't the right way? I mean it has always worked for burning discs, but I was never trying to remove the DRM.

I'll check out noteburner a little later and see how that goes.

My trick worked, but I am sure the quality probably suffer doing it like that, but then again I bought song at 128 which kinda sucks anyway.

Thanks to everyone.
DJ Jonasty 10:30 PM - 28 January, 2009
I thought itunes was drm free now? I bought an album yesterday and it is drm free aac. I also selected the tracks and converted them to mp3. Is this thread a year old or something?
kalibhakta 2:10 AM - 29 January, 2009
NOPE! I just bought a track and cannot use it. This was within 3 days or so...I get drunk and buy things ;-)
kalibhakta 2:11 AM - 29 January, 2009
Nice but www.noteburner.com sells a product for 35$ if you are a Mac user. It's ok I am just broke right now.
dj_elite 4:07 AM - 29 January, 2009
Quote:
NOPE! I just bought a track and cannot use it. This was within 3 days or so...I get drunk and buy things ;-)

wrong. most tracks are unprotected now and all will be by april. look for the little plus sign next to the "buy now" button. + means itunes plus which means unprotected AAC. i downloaded about 15 tracks saturday and played half of them at my gig saturday night. 256KB unprotected AAC.

i even accidentally bought three protected tracks (i was DLing some old reggae so i'll throw this out- VP records and some other reggae labels still are not DRM free but you can find alternate copies of a lot of songs) and i contacted customer service telling them it was an accident and iwas credited for them.
DJ TK 6:34 PM - 29 January, 2009
Just buy from amazon screw itunes
DJ TK 6:35 PM - 29 January, 2009
Quote:
I thought itunes was drm free now? I bought an album yesterday and it is drm free aac. I also selected the tracks and converted them to mp3. Is this thread a year old or something?

as far as I know only the itunes plus store is drm free
DJ LilliA 10:19 AM - 29 October, 2019
Agree. So I choose to use the Apple music converter to download and convert music to any formats I need. Just be sure not to use it for commercial projects. It is totally legal for private use. BTW, I use DRmare.