Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rekordbox Buddy For Serato DJ…..

LJ_WOOLSEY 10:51 PM - 19 February, 2014
Hi guys, I have seen this software record buddy for syncing your tractor library with rekordbox it looks AMAZING!

I soooooo hope they work on making Serato DJ to rekordbox…

Anyone else think this is a great idea? Think we need to drum up some more support on who would pay to have a feature like this??

What it does it converts your cue points loops and beatgrids… so everything you have setup in sera to dj on your files would move over to rekordbox.

take a look at how it works with Trakror ---> nextaudiolabs.com
leonteegan 11:39 PM - 19 February, 2014
I'd be sold on that for sure
deejdave 11:58 PM - 19 February, 2014
It essentially works with Serato already if you are willing to put the leg time in. As long as you are willing to use Traktor as a "middle man" then you are good to go. This is exactly how I have been keeping my library SYNCed between Serato, Traktor & Rekordbox.

Serato converted to Rekordbox =
Serato<N.I. SSL Database importer tool>Traktor<Rekord Buddy>Rekordbox.

But yes having the option from the start would be great. I would have done my library the exact same way as I need my library SYNCed for all three applications anyway but this not the case for all.
deejdave 11:59 PM - 19 February, 2014
Also keep in mind this works with Mac ONLY obviously.
Jam-Master Jake 12:12 AM - 20 February, 2014
A Serato version is in the works. This was reviewed a few weeks back by Phil on Digital DJ Tips...one of the software team members said the Serato version is on its way. Looks VERY impressive!
Damien Sirkis 4:22 AM - 5 June, 2014
Both a Serato version and a Windows version are in the works.

Version 2.0 is going in beta soon and I'm super excited about it. Loads of new stuff :)
deejdave 6:45 AM - 5 June, 2014
Nice. Do all users get the Beta or do we have to go to the site? I've been doing everything with Traktor acting as the middle man to get my Serato cue points etc. over to Rekordbox. Will this eliminate that step and make it direct from Serato to Rekordbox and also will it be able to do all SYNC all three at the same time?
Damien Sirkis 3:59 PM - 5 June, 2014
When the beta is out you will need to be a current Rekord Buddy user and sign up for it as it will be distributed outside of the Mac App Store. Keep in mind the first betas will focus on some very specific functionality before opening up all the features over the next beta releases. It will be used to test, not for production/real stuff as it could still be buggy.

2.0 stores its own database and syncs between all the programs you use, all in one single pass.
deejdave 4:04 PM - 5 June, 2014
Very NICE. I am current Rekord Buddy user so no worries there. Love the program. I don't use it that often as I tend to be using Rekordbox less & less so I only SYNC every month or so but it works every time like a charm.
Culprit 4:51 PM - 5 June, 2014
Man let us know when its out going to buy for sure
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:09 PM - 5 June, 2014
This sounds great! Hope all goes well and look foward to seeing the release.
Do you have a news letter so i can be emailed when it is releassd?
Damien Sirkis 5:19 PM - 5 June, 2014
Yeah there is a sign up sheet on the website. I'm not posting links as I don't want to upset the Serato forum peeps.
Kristian Valdini 5:26 PM - 5 June, 2014
Starts tracking this... I downloaded RekordBuddy but never got round to using the workaround so can't wait for the beta!

K
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:22 PM - 5 June, 2014
Ok you can sign up to the E-Mail News Letter here ---> nextaudiolabs.com
938MyDJ 4:41 AM - 6 June, 2014
From the looks of it... This would be for Audio only, right?

I will just probably convert my favorite video selections to audio (instead of ALL)... then use RekordBuddy.
938MyDJ 4:47 AM - 6 June, 2014
Speaking of which... Anybody here knows an MP4 to MP3 converter that will include ID tags after conversion?
MannyD209 3:57 PM - 6 June, 2014
I had no idea about this, thanks guys. I was importing and setting up all my tracks twice, once in RekordBox and then once in Serato. Thanks again.
DJ XL _ tEXAs 10:33 AM - 24 July, 2014
does serato recognize the cues from Rekordbox?
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:01 PM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:

no
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:47 PM - 24 July, 2014
Or serato and native instruments and pioneer just get together and develop a standard for storing data to a MP3 and other formats so there fore music will be compatible no matter what software you use
deejdave 4:00 PM - 24 July, 2014
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's NOT gonna happen. Selfishly I don't want it to either. pride myself in having a 100% SYNCed library. It's not an everyday thing. THIS^^^ would make it an everyday thing.

The point it IS possible so maybe just put in the leg work. I promise you the juice IS worth the squeeze.

Quote:

It works the OTHER way around when you introduce N.I. SSL Database Importer.

Damien is working on the software that does all three and works both ways if I am correct.

Actually @ Damien any irregularities when using Rekord Buddy with 3.0?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:57 PM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
Or serato and native instruments and pioneer just get together and develop a standard for storing data to a MP3 and other formats so there fore music will be compatible no matter what software you use

Couldn't we as end users make this happen?? I mean hell if we all banded together and I mean for every software out there maybe they'd at least start to listen........
Culprit 6:06 PM - 24 July, 2014
sure put a crowd fund together and pay all the companies from that to implement the feature.
deejdave 6:51 PM - 24 July, 2014
Absolutely. Money would speak here. I mean what other means do we have? Not to mention if someone really wants their library synced and is determined they will get it done as it is 100% possible.

I mean we are essentially expecting DJ software developers to come out with a universal system in which case every user could stick with them or simply move on to another DJ app at a moments notice with NO effort whatsoever. I just don't see it happening.

Even if money was offered they would still all have to agree. I'm also not sure how often you come across individuals who use multiple DJ applications. Not saying we are not here just saying I don't think we are the majority.

As I said the good news is Damien Sirkis is already working on the software to SYNC Serato, Traktor & Rekordbox to each other. This obviously includes iTunes so this is that universal solution being requested. If this works as good as his previous application we are in great hands. As I understand it he will add support to Windows based PC's some time in the future as well.

Also they may have to change how they handle their libraries. Serato is the only software that is literally plug & play with libraries. All other applications you must import in some way prior to using your library. THIS is why I start with Serato then SYNC to Traktor and go to Rekordbox from there. Again this is ONLY possible with Mac.
Culprit 7:58 PM - 25 July, 2014
I know in a perfect world everyone would come up with a solution and work together. This is a business though.
deejdave 8:31 PM - 25 July, 2014
Capitalism at its best!!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:10 AM - 26 July, 2014
Yeah I know just thought I throw it out there and give everyone a laugh, lmao!!

Either way it seems like someone is on the case so we shall be saved, lol!
deejdave 3:59 AM - 26 July, 2014
I'm tellin you. I don't know if you have used Rekord Buddy yet but it is truly amazing. I mean it makes N.I.'s importer look like fisher price.
irieproductions 4:50 PM - 26 July, 2014
seems like this software will help pioneer cover all the basis. easy migration from traktor to rekordbox, easy migration from serato to rekordbox, now its just time to release a pioneer full dj software package.
deejdave 8:07 PM - 26 July, 2014
Rekordbox 3.0 actually is practically there with dual deck layout now. I believe it was djtechtools that made the prediction of something similar ^^^^ to come.
blackavenger 12:39 PM - 28 July, 2014
I just want the CDJ to support FLAC/ALAC. Once that happens, I am likely going to leave the Serato/Traktor worlds in favor of simplicity. I miss showing up w' a crate of tunes, no screen to look at....just me, the decks, and the crowd. From my point of view, the CDJ line has made that possible again, only you don't have to give up the convenience of digital media. Now it's just you, a "flashdrive", the decks, and the crowd, lol. But seeing as how nearly my entire library is in FLAC or ALAC, I am stuck w' Traktor/Serato.....I just can't go through the trouble of converting all of that to AIFF. So I am all about this Recordbox Buddy software. Anything to make the migration easier is great in my eyes.
deejdave 4:27 PM - 28 July, 2014
I hear ya. Are you nervous for the future direction they may take? With the introduction of Rekordbox 3.0 and my previous post is this something that would deter your decision? I mean if the next line of CDJ's do in fact work in the same manner WITH FLAC support things would certainly be right where you want them. IF however Pioneer takes the turn as predicted and goes with the full software integration (and possibly DVS with the introduction of the PLX-1000) this would probably make your decision a little harder no?

I mean the correct answer here would be for Pioneer to simply add FLAC support to the current generation. I am not one of those dudes that assumes everything is as easy as flicking a switch or spending 30 mins writing up code BUT I AM one of those dudes who likes to get some insight as to why things are the way they are and where we stand. I recently asked about updates to the CDJ's in response to the introduction of the NV specifically the screen abilities. To simply know they were still working on current generation in any way would have sufficed but regrettably the response I got lead me to believe the work was going into the usual new upcoming hardware. Not that he (Pulse over at Pioneer) specifically said anything like that but certainly hinted.
blackavenger 5:45 PM - 28 July, 2014
Well, a CDJ styled deck without the CD mechanism, that also supported FLAC/ALAC would be even better. If that's what you are implying?
deejdave 7:13 PM - 28 July, 2014
Agreed would be very useful but I am wondering if they are leaning toward software and not standalone as you expressed interest in moving on to. I am thinking not Serato or Traktor but their own Rekordbox. Again with the new TT by Pioneer I am wondering if they will be looking to even add DVS to Rekordbox. Furthermore when Pioneer does something they tend to try to make things funnel toward that idea as in less (or no) independent players & more software controllers. Again just speculation but some food for thought.
sudo 8:09 PM - 28 July, 2014
You're never 100% in control of the equipment you play on, and Serato would be helping its customers by making it easier to keep one's library in sync with club-standard gear. I can't always bring a Rane box to the install, and there are situations where laptop DJing is simply not possible/tolerated. Honestly I'm surprised that smaller players like Denon, Gemini, Reloop, etc. haven't figured this out and made their own tools for importing Serato or Traktor libraries, or even made their players natively support Serato crates. They stand a lot to gain from that, but instead the trend is toward even more incompatible formats.

As it stands my solution has been NI SSL Converter > Mixvibes Cross > Export to Rekord Box, but this is a huge pain and depends on an ancient piece of rickety unsupported software that I have to kerjigger to work. I could use iTunes as a playlist manager, but the time intensive part is the beatgridding and cue point setup, not the playlists.

Asking Pioneer to add anything to its players is pointless. Their customer service is abominable and they don't seem to care about feature requests. Look at the requirement that we create KUVO accounts to use RB - did anyone, anywhere want that useless non-feature? The KUVO web site is so poorly translated that it's hard to know what it even does, aside from send your playlist information to labels. so they can track what you're doing.
blackavenger 8:59 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Asking Pioneer to add anything to its players is pointless. Their customer service is abominable and they don't seem to care about feature requests.

I think FLAC support is coming. All of this year's Pioneer car stereo Head Units support FLAC now, so I would imagine that they will port it over to the DJ side of things. IDK, I could be wrong. Hope I'm not though.
Kristian Valdini 4:44 PM - 5 August, 2014
RB3 now makes it pretty easy to do the following (deep breath):

Mirror SDJ Crates in iTunes (Create a new playlist folder and place the crates under this).
Drag and Drop SDJ tracks into the corresponding 'new' iTunes Crates.
Open RB3 >> SyncManager >> Select iTunes crates >> Hit the Arrow to send to RB3.
RB3 will then analyse the files and voila you are done.

Hoping RB Buddy Can streamline this so that when you update your SDJ crates it will automatically update RB3 somehow.

Have to say I like RB3 a lot and will be giving it a serious test this season during my gigs using iPad/Laptop options to see which works best... will also have emergency sets on my iPhone ready for use.

Lets see how stable it is now...

K
Kristian Valdini 4:54 PM - 5 August, 2014
Ha ha ha... just found an old post from 2011 where I am harping on about Rekordbox spelling the end for Laptops and the CDJ becoming the 'midi' player and USB source music being fed into it etc...

Pretty much happening now.

K
Kristian Valdini 4:55 PM - 5 August, 2014
Link fail above.

serato.com

K
deejdave 5:15 PM - 5 August, 2014
I would say this is assuming you use iTunes. As the guys at Rane & Serato have advised in the past serato.com I have stayed away from iTunes since day one. For personal reason at first but then seeing my fears confirmed here sealed the deal.

I notice iTunes works for many but when it comes down to large libraries iTunes causes more problems than it is worth & it aint' worth much to begin with LOL. Just teasing with that last part..............

As far as Rekordbox being "the end" I'd say you got the CDJ midi part right but far fro correct with the end of Laptops. Laptops are still the brain of most operations. As a matter of fact this is IMO the leading cause of Rekordbox's not catching on so much and directly the reason why they added internal mixing and the dual deck layout as they quickly realized omitting the laptop was NOT the direction they should try to push but rather embracing it yet offering solutions for all. I am hoping RB3 takes off as well though.
Damien Sirkis 1:01 AM - 18 November, 2014
Just wanted to update you guys on Serato support. It's going to be slowly released to the beta testers.

Once that stuff is solid, we can start moving toward a public beta.

Thanks for being patient with this. You won't be dissapointed.
Mr Wilks 1:26 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Just wanted to update you guys on Serato support. It's going to be slowly released to the beta testers.

Great news.

I signed up last week for info so I await the Windows release. I'm impressed already.
Damien Sirkis 3:10 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
I await the Windows release.

You'll be glad to know progress is being made on Windows too, although 2.0 will ship on OS X first just because I'm more ahead on that version right now.
Mr Wilks 11:58 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I await the Windows release.

You'll be glad to know progress is being made on Windows too, although 2.0 will ship on OS X first just because I'm more ahead on that version right now.

Great news Damien. I can't wait to try it out.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:03 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:

Sweet!
Culprit 9:11 PM - 18 November, 2014
yes man, keep up the good work. I get a few questions in regards to syncing libraries with rekord box and I hate telling people I don't know how its done.
sudo 4:22 AM - 19 November, 2014
This is amazing news. Cannot wait to see this come out.
Joe Fresh 4:48 AM - 19 November, 2014
Woo!
Jaydam 8:25 PM - 13 January, 2015
any updates on this yet? i am waiting with anticipation :)
Mr. Goodkat 5:06 PM - 30 March, 2015
did this ever get to serato to other dvs?
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:10 PM - 30 March, 2015
Yep youtu.be

We all just waiting for release now....
Mr. Goodkat 5:27 PM - 30 March, 2015
and we thought serato betas took a long time to get in final form. 6 months??
Culprit 6:22 PM - 30 March, 2015
maybe a cease and desist?
deejdave 7:01 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
maybe a cease and desist?

WOW as logical as this sounds I never though of this. Seems probable TBH.
WarpNote 7:03 PM - 30 March, 2015
That would be so sad though...
deejdave 7:10 PM - 30 March, 2015
Watch it be Serato who issued it LOL. Not for nothing RekordBuddy flew just fine so it seems likely that neither Pioneer or N.I. cares. VDJ Dosn't really care about a damn thing on this planet......................... hell they just cracked the Numark NV's screens................. Just sayin there's only one more key player in this equation.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:11 PM - 30 March, 2015
There still releasing updates and support. Maybe just taking them a long time to sort bugs i think its just a bunch of djs making this software isnt it?
Kristian Valdini 8:01 PM - 30 March, 2015
It will be Serato behind any kind of crack down for sure...

K
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:40 PM - 30 March, 2015
Hey Guys,

Just to clear the air of rumour, Serato has not issued any thing like a "cease and desist"

Rekordbuddy is awesome! Why would Serato want to stand in the way of such awesome technology? It helps us as much as the others.

Matt P
deejdave 12:59 AM - 31 March, 2015
LOL It would have made me laugh though. Glad to hear you guys are on board and I am hoping this is released (publicly) sooner rather than later.
Kristian Valdini 9:03 AM - 2 May, 2015
Glad to hear that Matt, after the ClubKit and Rane Rotary stuff of late I thought you guys were turning to the dark side :)

Normal service resumed!

K
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:56 PM - 2 May, 2015
Anyone have anymore info on IF/WHEN this is ever going tobe released?
maarawoe 6:55 PM - 2 May, 2015
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Just to clear the air of rumour, Serato has not issued any thing like a "cease and desist"

Rekordbuddy is awesome! Why would Serato want to stand in the way of such awesome technology? It helps us as much as the others.

Matt P

great! Any chance to get the GEOB structure description you are using to store the information in the id3 tags, so soemthing can be made (would be quite easy to make some python app)?
I have been looking into it but crawling throught that binary information without knowing its structure is waste of time if there is some other (and more straightforward) way...

Thanks!
Jaydam 8:22 AM - 4 May, 2015
it seems if you esport an m3u8 from rekordbox and drop it on a serato crate all the tunes are then imported into serato :)

Works for me and a whole lot easier :)
Jaydam 8:22 AM - 4 May, 2015
export*
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:42 PM - 4 May, 2015
Jaydam,

Yeah that works a charm getting Rekordbox playlists into Serato.

Also, exporting the history file in Serato as an M3u also allows you to pull up your played tracks and bring them into Rekordbox.

I think what people would like to see is a way of keeping the cues and loops information brought over from one program to another.

MP
Mr. Goodkat 8:30 AM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:
I think what people would like to see is a way of keeping the cues and loops information brought over from one program to another.
Mr Wilks 2:18 PM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:

Amen to that!
maarawoe 7:41 PM - 6 May, 2015
[quote

Exactly...
Still wondering why each manufacturer is using its own standard for the same thing (grid, cues etc.) and why there is no open standard for this...
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:44 PM - 6 May, 2015
I thought the same thing.

We need a Dave Smith in this Software game (creator of General Midi) - en.wikipedia.org

Quote:

Still wondering why each manufacturer is using its own standard for the same thing (grid, cues etc.) and why there is no open standard for this...
maarawoe 7:57 PM - 6 May, 2015
Imho the only thing that Dave Smith would tell us is, that the manufacturers are trying to make changing the software as much difficult as possible so they are not loosing customers... You know - when you have hundereds or thousands of tracks you would need to cue a nd warp again (grid again), you think twice before changing so you don' have to do it all over and over again... I see no other logical reason for not making the life easier and more fun :-(
deejdave 8:29 PM - 6 May, 2015
I though it had more to do with the different philosophies and priorities of each software. Especially being the fact it is 100% possible to move in one direction fairly easy just not the other.
maarawoe 11:45 AM - 7 May, 2015
Quote:
I though it had more to do with the different philosophies and priorities of each software. Especially being the fact it is 100% possible to move in one direction fairly easy just not the other.

Hmm weird that moving to Serato is THE hard step... :-)
I was really really defering leaving Traktor only due to the fact I will need to rework my whole library which was fine, just because someone didn't spent very little time on a script, reading a xml file and translating the data to the Serato format in the id3 tag...
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:17 PM - 7 May, 2015
maarawoe,

Without getting into too much detail, i know making the transition easier is a priority for Serato.

Matt P
maarawoe 8:08 PM - 7 May, 2015
Quote:
maarawoe,

Without getting into too much detail, i know making the transition easier is a priority for Serato.

Matt P

Without getting into too much detail, I must say its too late for me as I was so pissed of by the NI attitude that I made all the tracks again manually (you owe me many sleepless nights...)... :-D
But its great to know anyway as it could make the transition and decision for other people much much easier!
Thanks!
Damien Sirkis 9:00 PM - 14 June, 2015
Update... it's like winter, it's coming: djworx.com

Joking aside, I know it took too long. Working on fixing this for the future.
Culprit 2:01 AM - 15 June, 2015
looks great!
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:16 PM - 15 June, 2015
can't wait!!! just did a wee lol
938MyDJ 8:41 PM - 15 June, 2015
Personally, I would prefer a one-time-fee rather than a monthly subscription.

I hope this will be considered as an option.

😀
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:03 PM - 15 June, 2015
Quote:
Personally, I would prefer a one-time-fee rather than a monthly subscription.

I hope this will be considered as an option.

😀

agree or at least yearly every month is abit much.....
Culprit 9:11 PM - 15 June, 2015
or per release like mix emergency. I won't pay a monthly or yearly fee for it. count me out if thats the plan.
deejdave 9:50 PM - 15 June, 2015
I'm in either way but I certainly would prefer a one time fee. Rekord Buddy is an essential part of my workflow though so it is what it is.
Mr Wilks 10:59 PM - 15 June, 2015
I'm looking forward to this but share everyone's opinion on purchase.

One time fee would be better off for me.
Jam-Master Jake 3:38 AM - 21 June, 2015
I'm not paying monthly for this either. I've stopped supporting software that switched to this payment method and I won't waste my time with this app either. It's not the money; it's the greed that goes behind this. Thanks but no thanks.
Col1990 4:43 AM - 21 June, 2015
I am interested in this but like many people have said a subscription for software? seems a bit odd
deejdave 5:23 AM - 21 June, 2015
Out of curiosity have you guys used Rekord Buddy before? As I mentioned earlier I would prefer a one time price (even if it were quite a bit higher than current price) but I also can not even begin to calculate how much time this has saved me already. As it stands currently I literally could NOT have my library SYNC'ed between Serato, Traktor & Rekordbox without this and if everything works as it should 2.0 will remove the need for a second software in order to accomplish this.

As it stands I currently have soooo many subscriptions and monthly services I would hate to add another but as I mentioned earlier this is too important for me NOT to at least try. With the monthly service the good news is if it does not save me enough time I will simply stick to how I do things currently with Rekord Buddy 1.7.17 etc.

I already currently keep my libraries synced between SDJ, SSL, Traktor, Rekordbox, VDJ & Mixvibes and am able to do so VERY quickly with minimal effort so saying this has big shoes to fill is an understatement but I am certainly hopeful and cheering for Damien and his efforts.
Col1990 6:45 PM - 21 June, 2015
No I haven't used it but as for this I currently have soooo many subscriptions and monthly services I would hate to add another this is where I stand. The main reason I want it from what I've seen is the tagging feature and organising feature plus if I ever wanted to jump back to traktor which has been in my mind because of the serato issues I'm having then I aint got to worry about nothing
Jam-Master Jake 10:36 PM - 21 June, 2015
I rarely use Rekordbox...I'm a Serato guy. I just want to be able to convert my Serato library over to Rekordbox in case I need it for a club some night (and especially as a backup). But I can do it slowly as I need to...I don't need to fuel the increasing "monthly subscription" greed that's taking over the marketplace. I'd rather spend $50-$60 for this upfront and then pay for major upgrades in the future if I feel they benefit me. I know software is time-consuming and requires financial resources to create and support the developers, but this monthly subscription model I just won't support. It's why I quit playing video games that are "free" to play but have in-app purchases. Instead of charging a few bucks to buy the game like they used to, now they make 100x more by charging for in-app "content" to make it more enjoyable and to play the game at a faster pace. Before you know it, that formerly $5 game now cost you $hundreds!

Thanks, but no thanks.
Culprit 11:31 PM - 21 June, 2015
Wifey got me dcuo lifetime for $150 or $199, wish i had more time to play it. Id pay a cool $99 for the program easy.. its worth it really to have that kind of compatibility. Why just not offer options, lifetime codes or monthy subscriptions. We have the technology.

Hell, Serato, offer a $5 or $10 subscriptions per month for customers to have access to all your plugins, or just let them buy em straight out. Best of both worlds really.

Its a comsumer market.
Culprit 11:32 PM - 21 June, 2015
Com, con, bah!
Mr Wilks 11:38 PM - 21 June, 2015
Quote:
Hell, Serato, offer a $5 or $10 subscriptions per month for customers to have access to all your plugins, or just let them buy em straight out.

And if during the subscription they hit the point of paying the retail price then just terminate the sub and if they cancel before they leave with nothing. That could work.
Culprit 11:53 PM - 21 June, 2015
Offer both options its up to consumer like i said, people should be allowed to choose their own poison you dont need to point out the obvious lol
deejdave 11:53 PM - 21 June, 2015
Not for nothing without even knowing the limits or conditions of this program I am confident you will be able to purchase monthly sub............... get your WHOLE ENTIRE collection sync'ed then cancel. Then you can re-sub the following year (or 6 months etc.) and re-sync.
Culprit 12:00 AM - 22 June, 2015
Also with all the plugins it would take a little while to hit that mark anyways, and while were playing the captain obvious hat anyways most companies are ditching the perpetual license models for subscription based licenses, for example autodesk with autocad and intuit with quickbooks, to generate more profit. So dont be surprised if native instruments or serato follows suit in the next 5 years or so.
dibb 11:36 AM - 22 June, 2015
I don't understand a subscription model for this kind of software either.

Sure, I pay monthly subscriptions for my cloud storage & backup services, iTunes Match, Netflix, etc. But for these services I use external resources like storage and content.

A $4-$6 monthly fee for RekordBuddy doesn't make sense. After two years it will be more expensive than a Serato license, but after that period you will keep on paying.

Furthermore, music library management software has a strong vendor lock-in effect. As a dj you invest a lot of time in organizing your music and you'll soon depend on the tools you use for this task. As the developer of this program probably knows this, his pricing model comes across as rather unsympathetic.

So @Damien: Just sell it for $60 and get your recurring income from paid upgrades please. This will also incentivize yourself to regularly release nice new features. :)
blackavenger 1:58 PM - 22 June, 2015
Quote:
So @Damien: Just sell it for $60 and get your recurring income from paid upgrades please. This will also incentivize yourself to regularly release nice new features. :)

Or even $100, but I won't pay a monthly subscription fee either. I was sooooo excited for RB coming to Serato until I heard about the pricing.
Culprit 4:25 PM - 22 June, 2015
Il pay $99 for it, its worth it, and $20 per major upgrade. Thats 2 years of subscriptions almost at that model.
Culprit 4:26 PM - 22 June, 2015
Plus, its more solid since like someone mentioned before, just sjbscribe for $5, convert your library, and cancel. Not a solid idea..
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:27 PM - 22 June, 2015
the greed will be the downfall of this software, some dude will just make a freeware version of it just to piss the creator off
BleedR 7:03 PM - 22 June, 2015
I was anyway planning to code a cue point transferrer from Serato to Rekordbox, so...
LargeFarva 7:53 PM - 22 June, 2015
Quote:
Not for nothing without even knowing the limits or conditions of this program I am confident you will be able to purchase monthly sub............... get your WHOLE ENTIRE collection sync'ed then cancel. Then you can re-sub the following year (or 6 months etc.) and re-sync.

I think most working DJs that would need and want (few of them, I bet) this service to begin with would need access to it regularly, hence the subscription model would have them paying every month.

Someone made a comment about lack of cross-compatibility between platforms (NI, Serato, Pioneer, VDJ, Algoriddim, Mixxxx, MOTU - guys, there are dozens now) as an unspoken agreement to artificially cripple and retain users. That might seem true, but it also means that users won't want to hassle with migrating to your platform just as they won't migrating from it. I think this line of thinking isn't true. NI developed a Scratch Live importation script. Granted, it's not the best, but they out it out there with quasi-support.

The problem, as Dave pointed out earlier, is that software developers aren't proactively collaborating on what the standard should be. Each software platform has different requirements, and these requirements are designed around what the developer wants for features on each platform. This runs through the veins of each platform, from the interface design, to the control of hardware comparability and even the branding/marketing and it makes a huge difference. I mean, you have people on here complaining about the way Serato DJ interface looks compared to SL - are you kidding me?? (I hope to god those guys never have to play on Pios or switch to Traktor, they'll probably have an aneurysm)

But the truth is, few users use more than one platform. Most DJs are busy working gigs, doing promotions, combing record pools etc. and don't care about tech enough to worry about whether or not Traktor can help them perform better or more creatively than Serato, or vice versa. Even DJs I know that are required to come in and play their slot on the club CDJs just keep a separate library in Rekordbox and just update it independently and throw some tracks on a pair of thumb drives, maybe a couple of CDRs for redudancy. I doubt they'd be convinced to "hassle" with RekordBox.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:09 PM - 22 June, 2015
The working djs have spoken. Rekord buddy will get its money if its reasonable. I will not pay for subscription.
Hope you are aware that you can drag and drop into other software as it is. Granted cues and stuff won't get synced but it ain't like I'm going to be able to use flip on traktor or pioneer rekordbox.
Fix a price, support the software and wait for the mulla.
In my 5 years of using Serato I've only ever played live with another software once. Traktor for a dinner set.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:11 PM - 22 June, 2015
Only a matter of time before another PhD student shares a code to achieve the same thing as in the case of Keyfinder vs Mixed in key.
Culprit 10:36 PM - 22 June, 2015
Quote:
Only a matter of time before another PhD student shares a code to achieve the same thing as in the case of Keyfinder vs Mixed in key.

Agreed!
maarawoe 12:28 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed!

I had a significant part of the Traktor and Rekordbox library management reversed some time ago so making this in sync was just a few lines of python code... (basically this started as an workaround for traktor <-> ipad library sync).
The problem was the serato which stores the data in the id3 frames in the binary form and I got stuck and bored working on it on my own (had not enough time as well)....
If there is someone skilled in python and knows how to manipulate xml (traktor), DeviceSQL (RB) and id3 (serato) in it, I am in for starting a new project for such library sync (an opensource one to make rekordbuddy not so happy :-D) ... To be hones its a very easy stuff and I am wondering why there is only one app of such kind....
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:45 PM - 23 June, 2015
I think this is amazing bit of software and i also like the tagging tools ect they have shown off aswel as it converting your cues and loops over. Great for rekordbox backup.

I just think all the pricing needs sorting out.

But this is what i have been looking for for years now so will defo be buying even if its just the monthly thing and i try for one month.
BleedR 3:40 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed!

I had a significant part of the Traktor and Rekordbox library management reversed some time ago so making this in sync was just a few lines of python code... (basically this started as an workaround for traktor <-> ipad library sync).
The problem was the serato which stores the data in the id3 frames in the binary form and I got stuck and bored working on it on my own (had not enough time as well)....
If there is someone skilled in python and knows how to manipulate xml (traktor), DeviceSQL (RB) and id3 (serato) in it, I am in for starting a new project for such library sync (an opensource one to make rekordbuddy not so happy :-D) ... To be hones its a very easy stuff and I am wondering why there is only one app of such kind....

There are enough library and gems... i.e. id3lib-ruby.rubyforge.org
Actually I'm using ruby that is even simpler than python
LargeFarva 6:07 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed!

How does it store beat grid, hotcue, and other meta data (flip now, too, for instance)? The key, tempo (for display) and all that makes sense being stored using MP3 ID3. Kinda curious about this. Does ID3 have a "blank" notepad appended to it where you can write in your own information? I could imagine a blank notes page being encoded with a proprietary instructions Serato uses to record hotcue and beat grid info, for instance. Or does ID3 have built in provisions for this, already?

I guess one downside with ID3 is that some users have uncompressed tracks and wav or flac wouldn't work.
Damien Sirkis 6:23 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
It's not the money; it's the greed that goes behind this.

The 'greed'? lol. I think you might have to do the math again. I'm not sure where your 100x multiplier comes from.

I can understand, and discuss, the choice between paying one time and being able to use the version you bought without paying more money versus paying less money every month and having every update for free but having to keep paying to use the software. That's a valid discussion to have and I'm listening.

But at the end of the day, it works out about the same money wise otherwise it wouldn't be worth me putting the work in the first place. There's not greed there, just making sure this is worth my time. I'm sure we all make these choices with our jobs, no?

Also, as we discussed above, you have to keep in mind that for every person being vocal here against subscriptions there is another I've spoken to who would prefer subscriptions. That's why this choice is hard to make.
Quote:
Its a comsumer market.

It's not. It goes both ways. If what the consumer thinks is 'fair' doesn't make it worth doing or working on then the product won't happen. It has to be a fair compromise, and can't be just 'what the consumer wants' otherwise everything would be free :)

Anyway, I guess the main message here is, I'm listening... :)
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:34 PM - 6 July, 2015
In business you get to deal with the consequences of action or inaction.
Get the software released (either way), if the monthly plan based payment works then stick to it, if it doesn't well i'm sure that wont be a new thing to happen to any business.
Every business plan has to have its risk and what nots.
After all you are developing this program to make profit otherwise we wont even be having this discussion.

Just on a side note,no one here has even discussed or suggested how they want the program to work, most of the discussion is about pricing.

So a few questions

1. Serato has 8 cue points, i'm not familiar with Rekordbox, can it handle 8 cue points too? I know Traktor can.

2. What about saved loops (from Serato) to other software?

3. How will Pioneers Hot Cues be interpreted in Serato?

4. Will RekordBuddy work for Videos?

5. Is there going to be an open beta or trial version?
Damien Sirkis 6:43 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
1. Serato has 8 cue points, i'm not familiar with Rekordbox, can it handle 8 cue points too? I know Traktor can.2. What about saved loops (from Serato) to other software?3. How will Pioneers Hot Cues be interpreted in Serato?

Serato has 16 cues total, loop and regular cues are treated the same in other software.
There will be an option to select which ones get converted over to programs with less cues (Rekordbox has 3 or 4 hot cues, then some memory cues for example).
Quote:
4. Will RekordBuddy work for Videos?

It should. I contacted some video pools to get demo tracks to experiment with.
Quote:
5. Is there going to be an open beta or trial version?

Still shooting for a public beta this summer. It will be a real beta (i.e. to find bugs) not a preview for people to start using it ahead of time like most betas are now (thanks Google :).
aSiNe 8:49 AM - 14 July, 2015
I'd go for a monthly fee. Makes most sense, both in a support and update sense.

One way is you pay monthly for a year, then you own that version. if you want to upgrade you go back to monthly payments for another year.
Damien Sirkis 5:37 PM - 6 August, 2015
There you go guys, I always listen to feedback:
nextaudiolabs.com
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:42 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
nextaudiolabs.com

wow thats awesome and very cheap i would have paid more.

When is puplic testing? I want to buy and test i test various other software in betas.
Culprit 6:01 PM - 6 August, 2015
dope!
Mr. Goodkat 6:04 PM - 6 August, 2015
will it be out by 2020?
Damien Sirkis 6:45 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
will it be out by 2020?

hey... watch it now... :)
Mr. Goodkat 6:54 PM - 6 August, 2015
:P
dibb 7:44 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
nextaudiolabs.com

Nice one. Thanks for listening! ;)
deejdave 8:36 PM - 6 August, 2015
Damien once again proving a more intimate end user/developer relationship is where it's at. SOO worth it!! As said above I would have paid more.
Mr. Goodkat 9:10 PM - 6 August, 2015
buy it twice or even 3 times, im sure he wont mind.
Damien Sirkis 9:11 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
buy it twice or even 3 times, im sure he wont mind.

I approve this message.
Mr Wilks 9:12 PM - 6 August, 2015
Haha!

Brilliant news. I'll be grabbing my copy :)
deejdave 9:12 PM - 6 August, 2015
LOL
deejdave 9:15 PM - 6 August, 2015
I like how you made this available to current owners and the current version is no longer available. Kind of feels rewarding for being part of this thus far. Out of curiosity will there be a purchase price for new customers and if so how much? Thanks bud.
deejdave 9:17 PM - 6 August, 2015
Nevermind I read that wrong. Actual question is do you have any idea the price for current users?
Damien Sirkis 9:20 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Nevermind I read that wrong. Actual question is do you have any idea the price for current users?

Current guess would be $54.99 which basically give you back half of your original 1.x purchase price. Sounds fair?
deejdave 9:41 PM - 6 August, 2015
I am almost sure you will hear from others that you should cover the full original price but if I am being honest YES I absolutely think $54.99 is fair. I always thought your original 1.x price was way too cheap for how amazing your software was. With how cheap it was there is much head room and my policy is always if don't know how to do it it must not be easy.

I am hoping for big things for you. Just remember the little people as you do now. Especially with the new Rekordbox coming out and now Stems I have a feeling there will be much cross dipping with other software going on thus making your product that much more in demand. You are the digital Moses and I will follow you!! LOL.
Damien Sirkis 9:43 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Just remember the little people as you do now.

I'm not going anywhere. I've trademarked 'By DJs For DJs' for a reason, because I mean it.
deejdave 9:46 PM - 6 August, 2015
Love it!! Just another thing to be super excited for now!!! Man what a week to be a DJ. I go to work with this huge smile on everyday this week and seriously nobody even gets it where I work. Damn carpenters!!! Haha.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:47 PM - 6 August, 2015
How closer is release looking? Autumn or winter?
Damien Sirkis 9:49 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
How closer is release looking? Autumn or winter?

Shooting for September.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:56 PM - 6 August, 2015
😃✊🏻💦 can't wait!
Culprit 10:14 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Il pay $99 for it, its worth it, and $20 per major upgrade. Thats 2 years of subscriptions almost at that model.
Col1990 10:37 PM - 6 August, 2015
I'll be getting this
Kristian Valdini 6:06 PM - 9 August, 2015
Numbers work for me Damien... countdown clock is ON!

K
Damien Sirkis 5:28 AM - 19 January, 2016
Just a quick heads up that 2.0 will go in public beta next week on OS X.

Head over to the Next Audio Labs website for more info.
DJ Sidies 8:46 AM - 19 January, 2016
Good news
deejdave 2:05 PM - 19 January, 2016
Great news. Maybe the timing will better than we thought. So excited for u Damien!!
Damien Sirkis 5:17 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
Great news. Maybe the timing will better than we thought. So excited for u Damien!!

Thanks!
DJ dVO 6:31 PM - 19 January, 2016
Damien, please link me up. Signed up for an account and really wish to be on this public beta testing.
Damien Sirkis 6:36 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
Damien, please link me up. Signed up for an account and really wish to be on this public beta testing.

First 50 people on Monday at 10am PST :)
DJ dVO 6:42 PM - 19 January, 2016
That's a bummer...
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:46 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

First 50 people on Monday at 10am PST :)

When do we get the confirmation email that our account has been accepted? Signed up yesturday.
Damien Sirkis 7:48 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
When do we get the confirmation email that our account has been accepted? Signed up yesturday.

All accounts will be authorized later this week. Discount codes will only be valid at 10am PST on Monday.
pdidy 7:23 AM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
That's a bummer...

If it were really important to you www.thebuzzdiary.com on Monday at 10am PST
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:09 AM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

All accounts will be authorized later this week. Discount codes will only be valid at 10am PST on Monday.

Ok cool that's good to know, not bothered about the discount.

Cheers.
maarawoe 12:25 PM - 20 January, 2016
10am PST - any idea what time is that in Europe? :-D
blackavenger 12:39 PM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
10am PST - any idea what time is that in Europe? :-D

Where in Europe?

lmgtfy.com
maarawoe 4:11 PM - 20 January, 2016
Doesn't matter - lets say Paris, Prague or Berlin
blackavenger 4:25 PM - 20 January, 2016
Follow the link.....
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:14 PM - 20 January, 2016
lol cracks me up people can't even convert time these days
deejdave 5:16 PM - 20 January, 2016
Not gonna lie that is pretty bad haha. All good though :)
Damien Sirkis 5:19 PM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:

Using the discount code is the only way to get the beta on Monday. That's how I can limit it to only 50 people for now.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:20 PM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Using the discount code is the only way to get the beta on Monday. That's how I can limit it to only 50 people for now.

Ya i understand that haha just saying I'm not trying to get it for cheap 🙂
nik39 11:45 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:

Doesn't matter?? Europe has at least three different timezones.
maarawoe 6:30 PM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't matter?? Europe has at least three different timezones.

All these 3 I mentioned are in the same timezone. Even if its any different city, it would be +/- 1-2 hours what is easy to calculate but always have troubles with the US timezones converting them to any tz in the europe :)
Ok lets say Prague :)
maarawoe 8:19 AM - 24 January, 2016
So you are saying that if I am 51st for some unknown reason (for example if I didn't knew that the all the 50 codes were claimed - honestly the customers don't need to care how many coupons were claimed - its up to the shop to invalidate the coupons....), you will charge me 3k usd? :-D good luck explaining this to Visa or Paypal...
Quote:
If you try to purchase the app before this date, you will be charged $3,000.00. If you try to purchase the app without a discount code, you will be charged $3,000.00. If you have discount code but it’s not valid anymore because all the beta codes have been claimed, you will be charged $3,000.00.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:20 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
So you are saying that if I am 51st for some unknown reason (for example if I didn't knew that the all the 50 codes were claimed - honestly the customers don't need to care how many coupons were claimed - its up to the shop to invalidate the coupons....), you will charge me 3k usd? :-D good luck explaining this to Visa or Paypal...
Quote:
If you try to purchase the app before this date, you will be charged $3,000.00. If you try to purchase the app without a discount code, you will be charged $3,000.00. If you have discount code but it’s not valid anymore because all the beta codes have been claimed, you will be charged $3,000.00.

Word i just read this and must admit it is not very clear or even remotly proffesional in the slightest!! The checkout should just reserve the code once you type it in then fill out the rest of your details to buy a 5-10min hold on the code would work fine then once all 50 are used the option to buy should disable. This is a very messy way todo it if you are the 51st person which you will have no idea about for your 1second before your servers clock get charged $3000.00!!! WOW!!!!

next.audio
Mr Wilks 6:50 PM - 25 January, 2016
That's an actual gamble.

Who will be number 51? Somebody will be... It's a lottery.
deejdave 6:54 PM - 25 January, 2016
You get in Mr. Wilks?
deejdave 6:55 PM - 25 January, 2016
Actually nevermind don't answer that!! LOL I know he is a bit "open" on the whole beta news and info etc. but I am not sure if we should follow. You know the drill.........
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:06 PM - 25 January, 2016
I did message him to clear it up basicly you had to put the code in and if there was any available it gave you massive discount from the $3000 so you couldn't by mistake buy it for $3000.

So i went ahead and yep i got a copy 😀

My Christmas and Happy birthday to myself haha
Mr Wilks 7:15 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
Actually nevermind don't answer that!! LOL I know he is a bit "open" on the whole beta news and info etc. but I am not sure if we should follow. You know the drill.........

When that Win beta drops I'm all over it lol
maarawoe 7:15 PM - 25 January, 2016
Still have the code? Could you pm pls?
deejdave 7:19 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
Still have the code? Could you pm pls?

next.audio
The code was very public but it's probably safe to assume the enrollment is over by now.
maarawoe 7:20 PM - 25 January, 2016
Ah got it :-D
Subtotal 3000 total 39.99.....
Alright then... Lets sync RB Serato and Traktor :-)
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:28 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:

Sweet!
maarawoe 7:31 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Sweet!

Very unexpected... :-D I thought it will be gone in few minutes...
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:35 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sweet!

Very unexpected... :-D I thought it will be gone in few minutes...

The site did have a slow down and i think people got really confused and scared by the $3000
At least it means we all got it.
deejdave 7:55 PM - 25 January, 2016
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if this was marketing. I mean were there really that few people worldwide that an hour and a half later 50 people have still not been reached? I mean after ALL the peeps begging and pleading for this to come?!?!? LMAO. I stayed home from work for this hahaha. State run job so the snow (NY) meant slow work day anyways but I did choose today off because of this (and a new Lego coming in LMAO).
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:59 PM - 25 January, 2016
haha i sat here with load of world clocks credit card in one hand haha all info ready to copy past as quick as i could.
maarawoe 8:02 PM - 25 January, 2016
Hmmm don't know.... If he made a closed beta for 40usd and a paid open beta for a full price week after, he would be more than ok
The demand is so huge that he doesn't need to chase the people to buy it at hour zero...
dibb 8:08 PM - 25 January, 2016
Guys, I've got a question:

I would like to sync my Serato library with RB for when I want to play from USB stick on Pio decks. Thing is I have a lot of ALAC files and besides the newly announced CDJ 2000NXS2 no Pio deck supports ALAC.

So what I do now is manually convert my ALAC's to 320 AAC and keep a mirror library for RB use (without ALAC's). This is kind of a PITA as you can imagine.

Would RekordBuddy solve my problem in any way? Actually I don't think it will because it doesn't transcodes files, does it?
deejdave 9:03 PM - 25 January, 2016
No Pioneer decks support ALAC or FLAC but Rekordbox DJ does and REkordbox DJ happens to support the Pionner decks. In other words if you use CDJ-2000Nexus or CDJ-900Nexus, etc with Rekordbox DJ then you will in fact be able to play ALAC or FLAC files just fine.
deejdave 9:07 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
Hmmm don't know.... If he made a closed beta for 40usd and a paid open beta for a full price week after, he would be more than ok
The demand is so huge that he doesn't need to chase the people to buy it at hour zero...

Nah I'm not really saying this won't be worth it for him. Hell just to have the tool for yourself and maybe a few others is worth it. I am just saying I am VERY surprised (by the amount of feedback leading up to) that the 50 spots were not taken up within the first hour. TBH I kind of expected this to last minutes LOL. Very excited for Damien as well as just being able to help out with this anyways though.
alec.tron 11:41 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
No Pioneer decks support ALAC or FLAC but Rekordbox DJ does and REkordbox DJ happens to support the Pionner decks

You.... what...?
:D
c.
deejdave 12:13 AM - 26 January, 2016
No Pioneer decks support ALAC or FLAC (other than new NXS2)

Rekordbox DJ supports ALAC and FLAC

Rekordbox DJ Supports the CDJ's.

Quote:
In other words if you use CDJ-2000Nexus or CDJ-900Nexus, etc with Rekordbox DJ then you will in fact be able to play ALAC or FLAC files just fine.

This part pretty much explained it all no?
alec.tron 2:04 AM - 26 January, 2016
haha, all good, when you said 'decks' you meant the physical CDJ decks... I somehow read it as digital 'deck', i.e. the ones inside of RB... which clusterf*d the logic of the sentence... or layed open the clusterf* Pioneer created there (by not supporting FLAC/ALAC up to now - which I consider ridiculous...).
c.
deejdave 2:16 AM - 26 January, 2016
Certainly is ridiculous. Its almost like they thought they actually had a chance of weedingthe formats out or something. Like "if we don't support it they will stop using it" LMAO
dibb 6:56 AM - 26 January, 2016
Thanks Dave, I'm aware of all the Pio (non-)support for ALAC/FLAC.

The only thing I'm wondering is if Rekord Buddy 2.0 can solve my problem of having to maintain 2 libraries: one for SDJ with ALAC's and one for RekordBox with my ALAC's converted to AIFF/mp3 (besides syncing my cues, grids etc).

I think it can't because RekordBuddy probably manages 1 library (= set of files) and syncs it with the several app libraries SDJ/Trakor/RB (= databases). Am I correct?
dibb 7:17 AM - 26 January, 2016
Oh, and I'm not inclined to use RekordBox DJ with my laptop. When I play with laptop, SDJ it is. Using RB USB sticks mainly as a backup now, but sometimes when a NXS set is available it can be convenient to not bring laptop at all..
maarawoe 8:14 AM - 26 January, 2016
Quote:
Certainly is ridiculous. Its almost like they thought they actually had a chance of weedingthe formats out or something. Like "if we don't support it they will stop using it" LMAO

IMO thats partially true :-D
dibb 8:23 AM - 26 January, 2016
Well, I will never stop bugging them about ALAC/FLAC support:

djtechtools.com

; )
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:19 AM - 26 January, 2016
Quote:
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if this was marketing. I mean were there really that few people worldwide that an hour and a half later 50 people have still not been reached? I mean after ALL the peeps begging and pleading for this to come?!?!? LMAO. I stayed home from work for this hahaha. State run job so the snow (NY) meant slow work day anyways but I did choose today off because of this (and a new Lego coming in LMAO).

I don't think this is going to be that popular at all not many people use all the formats so they don't need total unity with their library and it's also a beta not a lot of people want to risk their library although everything should be backed up still people mightn't have the time to back everything up again,

time will tell how popular this will become, and who's to say pioneer or native instruments won't release their own conversion tools in the meantime, not likely but you never know
deejdave 10:09 PM - 26 January, 2016
Just as a FYI you should ALWAYS have a backup when using Rekord Buddy or doing ANY library work whether it is beta or not. Kind of an unwritten (and often written) rule.
Quote:
time will tell how popular this will become, and who's to say pioneer or native instruments won't release their own conversion tools in the meantime, not likely but you never know

N.I. has had a conversion tool for years but just like IF Pio offered one it is ONLY one way. This is for an obvious reason though as why would they release an importer tool that would potentially lead their customers away.

The N.I. SSL (yes its been around THAT long LOL) Database Importer tool converts from Seratp to Traktor ONLY and not the other way around. In other words it is by no means as effective as one that offers total freedom.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:13 PM - 26 January, 2016
Engine converts Serato to Engine one way again.

Let's face it I don't think Serato could ever pull off a tool to convert.
blackavenger 1:57 AM - 27 January, 2016
Quote:
Let's face it I don't think Serato could ever pull off a tool to convert.

Or they probably could...however, it would take at least 5 to 7 years to implement! Oh, and they'll charge you $80 for it ;-p
deejdave 3:21 AM - 27 January, 2016
Hey lets not pretend that any company who has created one thus far has done so for charity. N.I.'s was clearly to steal Serato customers. Rekord Buddy is going to cost the regular users $60. Not sure of any others. I Think Mr. Wilks said Denon's new Engine has a one way Serato conversion........... again designed to what? LOL

I dunno I say let Damien take this one and perfect it and let the DJ apps do what they do.
Culprit 9:20 AM - 27 January, 2016
its worth at least $100 to be honest.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:40 AM - 27 January, 2016
Once it works anyway haha alot more work todo in this beta run. So far it just runs out of memory on me, reminds me if the old SDJ days haha. But in all fairness my library is huge with alot of crates amd subcrates.
deejdave 2:08 PM - 27 January, 2016
Yah crashing right away on my 10.9 machine (10.9.5) but stable on my 10.10. I will put it through its course by this weekend for sure.
maarawoe 2:55 PM - 27 January, 2016
The latest beta is stable on 10.9 for me but its not syncing as it thinks that some of the tracks are missing the in the Traktor library so it doesn't sync the Serato library to Rekordbox at all... Sadly if it finds Traktor installed, there is no way how to disable the sync as I am not much using it and I am not maintaining the library there. Honestly I was expecting it will take care of adding the missing tracks to the library as well because adding the tracks there and having to care about which are missing there is counterproductive...
These are just funny bugs and I am very happy that I can help in this early stage of testing :-)
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:25 PM - 27 January, 2016
sounds more like an alpha then a beta
deejdave 5:26 PM - 27 January, 2016
Sure does but as maarawoe said I am happy to be a part of it as this feature is/will be HUGE in my workflow. I use serato dj the most frequent but djay pro, traktor and rekordbox dj are not far behind.

I use Djay pro for its Spotify ability.
I use traktor for stems and my s8.
I use rekordbox dj because I have the hardware so I figure why not lol.
Dj player pro for again stems use.
And a few others .......

This app will tie them all together. I am able to sync traktor serato and rekordbox now but this will make things much easier and will tie in all the rest.
alec.tron 12:11 AM - 28 January, 2016
Quote:
This app will tie them all together. I am able to sync traktor serato and rekordbox now but this will make things much easier and will tie in all the rest.

Amen.
It's not even funny how much & for how long I am missing decent library management & exchangeability from the 'tools' we use regularly...
Then again, my pet piece of how much I hate closed ecosystems & we-know-what's-good-for-you software might play into that...
c.
Beatlogik 10:31 PM - 12 February, 2016
For those blessed few that were able to sign up for beta-testing, any chance you'd like to periodically share how the software is progressing?
deejdave 11:18 PM - 12 February, 2016
We are if on some of the other active RB threads here.
Beatlogik 2:55 PM - 13 February, 2016
Thread Link?
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:40 PM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
For those blessed few that were able to sign up for beta-testing, any chance you'd like to periodically share how the software is progressing?

Well he is making good progress with fixing bugs and releasing new BETA versions, Responds well to all questions and bug reports. So that is all looking good.

Does not look like release is any time soon still alot of bugs to sort out, at the moment it's 100% unusable for me. and also having issues with mp4 files with cues being off ect. But all this will be worked on as thats the whole point of beta testing.

As for the software it self yes very powerful and amazing to get your cues and loops moved over to another software for you. Really is an amazing tool to have.

i look forward to this being all fixed up and released.
deejdave 6:54 PM - 13 February, 2016
Upon searching "Rekord Buddy" it was literally within the first three results serato.com[]=f&fu=&fa=
deejdave 6:55 PM - 13 February, 2016
Just make sure you click "Serato Forums" box as it won't link properly.
Jam-Master Jake 10:06 AM - 14 February, 2016
If he's a one-man show, that explains the long delays. I was under the impression he was working with a few programmers. I'm sure it'll be amazing when it's done!
Johnny H 6:57 PM - 16 February, 2016
Hi Guys

Will record buddy ever be written for the PC or is it mac only and that's the way it's staying

Would really love to try this out but do all my music processing on the PC

I appreciate any feed back

Regards

John
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:10 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Hi Guys

Will record buddy ever be written for the PC or is it mac only and that's the way it's staying

Would really love to try this out but do all my music processing on the PC

I appreciate any feed back

Regards

John

We are told a windows version will come some time after the mac version has been released and stable.
Johnny H 7:26 PM - 16 February, 2016
Thank you for the reply
Marv Incredible 9:17 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
We are told a windows version will come some time after hell has frozen over and the mac version has been released and stable.

Fixed

:p
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:21 PM - 16 February, 2016
Haha
alec.tron 9:24 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
We are told a windows version will come some time after the mac version has been released and stable.

If you care about the Windows version, please vote on the roadmap:
trello.com

I assume Damien still works with this & takes it as an indicator, despite there not being updates since the beta started.
c.
Damien Sirkis 6:54 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:
sounds more like an alpha then a beta

No it's a REAL beta. Companies have unfortunately been using the word beta to say 'software we don't know we will ship or not so we call it beta so people can't get mad when it doesn't go anywhere'. Real betas have bugs, that's the point.

Quote:
Quote:
We are told a windows version will come some time after hell has frozen over and the mac version has been released and stable.

Fixed

:p

I hate you :)

Quote:
I don't think this is going to be that popular at all not many people use all the formats so they don't need total unity with their library

I don't know if it will be popular or not either but I know that if it is, it won't be because of syncing collections. The collection management tools I have planned will be the killer app, if anything.
nik39 7:08 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:
Real betas have bugs, that's the point.

Hello Serato, can you please take a note? ;)
Damien Sirkis 7:18 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:

To be fair, I think Serato would have the same problem. If they shipped real betas, they'd have people complaining up the walls that it has bugs or is non-functional.

For some reason, Betas have become synonymous with 'early access'. Sadly, nothing could be further from the truth.
nik39 10:59 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:
If they shipped real betas, they'd have people complaining up the walls that it has bugs or is non-functional.

Uhm... ;) I've seen that happening.
dibb 6:45 AM - 3 March, 2016
Yep, me too. Seratos betas do contain bugs.. ;)
Kristian Valdini 8:48 AM - 25 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

To be fair, I think Serato would have the same problem. If they shipped real betas, they'd have people complaining up the walls that it has bugs or is non-functional.

For some reason, Betas have become synonymous with 'early access'. Sadly, nothing could be further from the truth.

Indeed :D

K
DJ Sidies 9:16 AM - 25 March, 2016
When is this coming? Its going to be summer soon. lol
maarawoe 10:29 AM - 25 March, 2016
Quote:
When is this coming? Its going to be summer soon. lol

Its progressing very nicely - the new versions are being released periodically, fixing the bugs we are reporting so no need to be afraid its stuck or will be never finished
If I am right, Damien released the most recent beta build 2 days ago..
Kristian Valdini 6:40 AM - 27 March, 2016
It is working, which is great... some real 'beta' testing going on solving issues and quick responses.

Am sure users will be very happy with the end result when it drops, if like me you switch between SDJ / RB depending on Gigs / Venues etc... one library to rule them all :D

K
soundboyz 11:09 AM - 28 March, 2016
when will this Rekordbox Buddy release cause i have been hearing about iit for a longtime now, I would like to test it out also.
HARO 2:47 PM - 28 March, 2016
Subscribed.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:52 AM - 27 April, 2016
Just an update from me.

I am just waiting for them to add the colour sort from Serato to link with Rekordbox. So fingers crossed then that's just about all data people would need to move accross.

From Serato to Rekordbox

*Crates
*Cue Points
*Cue Point colours
*Cue Point Labels
*Loops
*Beatgrids

Rekordbuddy also reads the Key tag of all files then you select which key type you want wriiten to the files. So i have chose camelot so this gets around SDJ not writing tags as camelot. Very handy feature.
WarpNote 10:57 PM - 27 April, 2016
@Woolsey, are you saying that rekordbuddy now can move crates cue points, cue colors, cue labels, loops and grids, or that you are wating for him to implement?

Sorry for the confusion, I haven't had a go at rekordbuddy yet. Might be the right time for me to try it out actually. (crates, cues and loops are my most important priorities, grids coming ing close behind...)
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:07 PM - 27 April, 2016
Quote:
@Woolsey, are you saying that rekordbuddy now can move crates cue points, cue colors, cue labels, loops and grids, or that you are wating for him to implement?

Sorry for the confusion, I haven't had a go at rekordbuddy yet. Might be the right time for me to try it out actually. (crates, cues and loops are my most important priorities, grids coming ing close behind...)

Yes those already work. Convert from Serato to Rekordbox. Only thing with the beatgrids is you need to analyze the tracks after import in rekordbox then it messes up some beatgrids so beatgrid feature is abit useless at the moment. (Unless i am doing something wrong. Which is probably the case haha)
WarpNote 11:12 PM - 27 April, 2016
Ah thank Buddy! (pun intended?)
I guess the second beta wave has been filled up by testers now,
so I probably need to wait for the release?
Kristian Valdini 3:16 PM - 1 May, 2016
Touch wood, since beta 60(ish) most of the critical bugs seemed to have been smoothed out and for me it is now working as it should to sync between Serato and Rekordbox :)

The upside to this is now all my cues are carrying over to (plus comment etc) - just need RB to have cue labels like SDJ and we would be getting close.

RBDJ still not ready for live DJ performance yet (with DDJ SX's) IMO, so will be SDJ for the foreseeable future until that is any different... not sure if it is better with CDJs/12's tho?

K
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:29 PM - 1 May, 2016
Cue lables do carry over at least mine do look at the hot cues tab top right of rekordbox screen
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:29 PM - 1 May, 2016
HID mode CDJs loads better in RBDJ than SDJ
Culprit 8:28 PM - 1 May, 2016
Darn, just got a sx2/and want to try rbdj. Unfortunately my sx2 came damaged on the left platter but pioneer DJ will fix it for free. They did not want me to return it to Amazon lol
paazel 5:49 AM - 14 October, 2017
Hey looks like this thread is kinda dead, but has the beatgrid issue been worked out with the newest version of RekordBuddy? Anyone have a quick start or FAQ?
Damien Sirkis 5:52 PM - 9 February, 2018
Contact me via support on the next audio website and let me know what beat grid issue you're talking about. I can help you there.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:29 PM - 11 February, 2018
Just bought rekordbuddy.

Anyone done a 55k plus library (audio and video) yet...need an idea how long this might take?
Marv Incredible 2:53 PM - 11 February, 2018
Nice one Marv. I bought mine just about a week ago. Only done a small section of library so far (~750 tracks). Took 15-20 mins on a fast machine (IIRC). Equally interested to see how long for a much larger library.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:07 PM - 11 February, 2018
Quote:
Nice one Marv. I bought mine just about a week ago. Only done a small section of library so far (~750 tracks). Took 15-20 mins on a fast machine (IIRC). Equally interested to see how long for a much larger library.

Hey Marv, yeah just copped it yesterday...#futureproof

I'm on a good machine too 2.9ghz Mid 17 MacBook Pro.

My Serato library is on external. I did try it initially yesterday but an hour later I was still approx 5% done on the progress bar. There was no option to pause/cancel the sync so I had to force quit. I had a gig to go to.

I've started it again now and I'm about an hour in.

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

How were you able to selectively do just 750 tracks? I thought it was all or none.
Marv Incredible 4:23 PM - 11 February, 2018
Quote:
How were you able to selectively do just 750 tracks? I thought it was all or none.

I literally created a brand new mini-library.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:30 PM - 11 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I literally created a brand new mini-library.

Oh seen.

4 hours deep and the progress bar is around 55%
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:48 PM - 11 February, 2018
Parsing progress bar is around 97% mark
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:50 PM - 11 February, 2018
Parsing completed. Now "saving changes"

Looks like an all nighter
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:46 AM - 12 February, 2018
Result from first pass.

Program: Rekord Buddy 2

Library size: 59k tracks

Library type: Audio (FLAC, MP3, WAV, AIFF, M4A, ALAC) and Video (MP4, MOV)

Library Database Source: Serato DJ (with about 50 user created crates and subcrates)

Media location: 4TB G-drive USB 3.0 (type C cable)

Laptop Spec: Mid 17 MacBook pro with 2.9ghz CPU and 16gb RAM.

Duration of initial sync process: 8 hours (it's not completely automated as I needed to accept a prompt during this stage)

Duration of saving changes: 1 hour

Note: MP4 is not supported by Rekordbuddy 2 but it's seen as AAC so they are still synced.

Suggestion

An option to have a fully automated process especially for the initial sync with massive libraries to enable overnight syncing ie start the sync, go to bed, wake up to a completed saved sync.

My main aim was to see my library in Rekordbox DJ. It does save it in the Rekordbox XML and you can do from that but one has to now add everything to Rekordbox collection for completeness. That is another long process. I started the IMPORT Playlist process this morning and I reckon it will take about 8 hours.

After that I will import all the tracks not any playlist. Only 20k of my tracks are in one crate or the other in Serato DJ.

I didn't check the Traktor side yet, Traktor does not require the extra step of "adding to collection"

I will also do analysis of the entire library in Rekordbox and Traktor. So factor that time in too depending on library size.

Starting to to look like a 3/4 day process initially.

I don't know if subsequent sync process will be shorter ie if I make changes in my main software (Serato DJ) and I need to update this to other software via Rekord Buddy 2.

Will keep y'all updated.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:40 PM - 12 February, 2018
Update

Importing to Rekordbox might take 32 hours going by my progress.

8 hours later and I'm at 26% (total of 28843 tracks)
Marv Incredible 6:14 PM - 12 February, 2018
Thanks for all the feedback.

On the bright side, imagine how long it would take without it.
Damien Sirkis 6:48 PM - 12 February, 2018
As is stands 2.0 takes a long time. We're working on some changes that will make 2.1 much more user friendly in that area based on user feedback.

Stay tuned!
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:53 PM - 12 February, 2018
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback.

On the bright side, imagine how long it would take without it.

I will probably just drag and drop if there was no rekord buddy ie open Serato and Rekordboxdj and drag crates or tracks over.

Obviously I will not have cues and beatgrid but I will be able to DJ.

I'm at 30% now....definitely an all nighter.

I'm not sure if Rekordboxdj is analysing the entire xml tracks well as adding to collection. I don't want to believe that its taking this long just to only add tracks to the collection.

I might have left that option active in the preferences of Rekordboxdj ie Analyse new tracks imported.

I did start up Traktor to see the results over there and it was perfect. All my 59k songs are in the Traktor collection and the Crates are there as playlists/folders. Cues, Grid and Loops all there too.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:56 PM - 12 February, 2018
Quote:
As is stands 2.0 takes a long time. We're working on some changes that will make 2.1 much more user friendly in that area based on user feedback.

Stay tuned!

A full automated process for large libraries. Click sync, accept all warnings, proceed, go to bed, wake up to a completed process, you can even add a "shut down computer when complete" option
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:05 PM - 12 February, 2018
It's 23:04 here, just at 43%.

Next check @ 07:00
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:37 AM - 13 February, 2018
07:34

I'm at 67%

I did check the preferences to see if I had autoanalysis on. It was off 😯

I poked around to see if there are things I could deactivate to reduce the burden...nothing.

Next check at 16:00 👍🏿
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:25 AM - 14 February, 2018
Completed at 16:00 importing from the Rekordbox XML to Rekordbox collection. 31 hours job for 28000 tracks that were in playlists/crates. I haven't done tracks that are not.

I added about 20 new tracks to my Serato collection and I did a 2nd sync with Rekord Buddy just to test.

The updated sync only took 4 mins. 👍🏿 that's pretty fast.
Johnny H 8:32 AM - 14 February, 2018
It all sounds very very slow to me 🤨
Johnny H 8:35 AM - 14 February, 2018
Spin tool may be a better option if it ever gets released, they were speaking of importing serato libraries very very fast , looks a really good product.

Very professional watch there video on facebook
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:50 AM - 14 February, 2018
Its the rekordbox end of things thats slow.

Rekordbuddy cant write directly to rekordbox' database hence it writes to Rekordbox XML which can then be imported to Rekordbox collection.

You can play from the Rekordbox XML tree on the side panel too if you dont want to add to your collection.
Which i did but i felt it wasnt a complete job if i didnt import to collection

For my library of 59k songs and videos the initial sync to rekordbuddy was slow too but i dont mind. The only issue i have is that it is not fully automated ie one click.

There is a prompt after initial parsing of tracks asking you to save changes. If that wasnt there it will have been a straightforward overnight process.

I mean that one can just initiate the process around 8pm and should be completed by morning or worst case scenario it will be completed when you get home from work next day.
Marv Incredible 12:24 PM - 14 February, 2018
Thanks for the feedback Marv. Good to know.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:43 PM - 14 February, 2018
Wait till you analyze it will take weeks. Rekordbox is so damn slow on analyzing amd mp4s it takes an age! I got fedup with how slow it is and how analyzing in rekordbox then changed the saved bpm which then messed up in serato. I gave up on the whole rekordbuddy thing. Its a painful slow experience. Until pioneer themselves build a tool to convert Serato to rekordbox it just isnt going tobe easy.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:59 PM - 14 February, 2018
Quote:
Wait till you analyze it will take weeks. Rekordbox is so damn slow on analyzing amd mp4s it takes an age! I got fedup with how slow it is and how analyzing in rekordbox then changed the saved bpm which then messed up in serato. I gave up on the whole rekordbuddy thing. Its a painful slow experience. Until pioneer themselves build a tool to convert Serato to rekordbox it just isnt going tobe easy.

With Rekordbox analysis , the only thing i have checked is "track phrase". And im only analysing me favorite crates.

I left bpm and key unchecked. I didnt want anything to mess with my serato.

I did a full clone of my hard drive before so i can reclone if things go south.

If not for cues and loops that i want it will be a straight forward job by just opening the two programs side by side and drag and drop
popnwave 7:11 PM - 14 February, 2018
Quote:

You know what is really weird? My SMALLER, older MP4s of 4:3 videos take longer to analyze than 1080p ones that are 3x as big. Makes no sense whatsoever.
DjSyndic8 6:31 AM - 15 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

You know what is really weird? My SMALLER, older MP4s of 4:3 videos take longer to analyze than 1080p ones that are 3x as big. Makes no sense whatsoever.

yer mine too videos take longer to analyze
Culprit 7:17 AM - 15 February, 2018
Hey Pop,

It's gatta be the the way the metadata is stored or how the older video files were created. I noticed this issue in the past as well. I've replaced most of my older videos with content from legal video pools.

Man before 2010, it was like the wild wild west when it came to encoding. The only guy I know who was doing it right was Czar.

I also figured out, though way too late, was that if you encoded your files with cabac off it would play on literally any laptop. PC or OSX with no issues. If Serato would of released that important factor Serato Video would have been a major success in the beginning.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:55 AM - 15 February, 2018
I analysed about 4000 videos in just over an hour.

Videos from different sources - smash, xtenda, bpmsupreme, clubkillers, videotoolz and some ghetto edits i did.

I dont think that's slower than any Serato.
Culprit 8:19 AM - 15 February, 2018
I always analyze my files on my desktop rig. It's a windows 10 machine, though I don't really analyze my files much anymore since most record pools take care of that now and days.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:33 PM - 15 February, 2018
Quote:
I analysed about 4000 videos in just over an hour.

Videos from different sources - smash, xtenda, bpmsupreme, clubkillers, videotoolz and some ghetto edits i did.

I dont think that's slower than any Serato.

unless pioneer have improved this over last few versions that amount would take days when i tried.
nik39 11:58 AM - 19 February, 2018
Quote:
Man before 2010, it was like the wild wild west when it came to encoding. The only guy I know who was doing it right was Czar.

Wait...!

;)