DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

One turn table not tracking

zbit 12:37 PM - 17 February, 2014
One of my technics 1200 mk5s will not track on serato. The left deck works fine and both work when playing records. i have tried everything recommended in the forums including trying it on all channels and still has 0% tracking on the screen which makes me come to the conclusion that there is a problem with the deck itself. I have used the same cartridges for years (m 44-7) but could changing them help this issue? If I was to change or get any components of the turn table replaced where would I start or is there anything else u guys could recommend trying? Maybe a grounding issue. Thank you for the help
Laz219 11:11 PM - 17 February, 2014
What do your scopes look like for that deck in the setup menu?
Does it match any here:
serato.com
10:50 PM, 19 Feb 2014
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
DJ VEE 1:09 AM - 21 February, 2014
Try swapping cartridge with the one that works. Did you try swapping inputs in to Serato? Dust will stop it from tracking. Bad RCA cables?
Just some ideas.
zbit 3:01 AM - 21 February, 2014
Ya i tried all that . My scope is a horizontal line. Should I try buying a new cartridge? Could i need a new tone arm? I tried swapping rca's maybe its the rca from the deck?
DJ VEE 2:20 PM - 21 February, 2014
I would imagine you could look up the manual for whatever Serato device you have and get the troubleshooting info on what a horizontal line means.
DJ VEE 2:23 PM - 21 February, 2014
Sounds like it might be the RCA from the deck going in to Serato . You probably only have the left or right sending a signal, only giving you the horizontal line. Try moving and or pinching the cable from the deck to Serato.
zbit 4:11 PM - 21 February, 2014
Alright. Could you please elaborate what u mean exactly by moving or pinching the cable? Thank you
DJ Irv 4:24 PM - 21 February, 2014
clean the contacts on the headshell and tone arm with a cotton swab and alcohol.
make sure the headshell doesn't have any bad wires.
djdalite 1:08 AM - 22 February, 2014
bad RCA's sounds like - try playing with them while your in the scope view (setup) - horizontal is right (red) i think....wait left

serato.com

where ya located? i can fix em if your around FL
djbanno 9:36 AM - 22 February, 2014
Quote:
clean the contacts on the headshell and tone arm with a cotton swab and alcohol.

^^This is always my first step in troubleshooting a flat line scope.
DJ VEE 1:02 AM - 23 February, 2014
Quote:
Alright. Could you please elaborate what u mean exactly by moving or pinching the cable? Thank you

Follow the RCA cable from the turntable to the Serato device. Along the length of it, start bending the cable along its entire length. Have Serato open and play a track on the deffective turntable. The control record spins, but your display does not move, correct? As you bend the RCA cable, keep an eye on your Serato screen. If the Serato deck starts to track as you move or bend the cable, and stops tracking as you let go, you probably need new cables.
I managed to get through a gig by finding the bad spot on the cable while bending it, and was able to tape it so it stayed bent. The deck kept on tracking for a few weeks till I was able to change the cable.
zbit 8:36 AM - 23 February, 2014
Ya when i play the record it just plays the track very slowly and sounds distorted akd says 0 tracking ill try that tho
DJ VEE 7:49 PM - 23 February, 2014
This should have probably been asked and or confirmed earlier, lol, but...
Make sure your setting are on phono, not CD (dip switches air settings in your set up menu).
Make sure you are in relative or absolute mode not internal, (although in internal mode, you would not get slow tracking, you would not have any tracking).
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious simple things, just pointing them out, just in case.
Sure sounds like you have bad cables or dirt buildup or something causing a weak signal going to Serato .
DJ VEE 7:57 PM - 23 February, 2014
Read that Serato lik in the above post.
Very useful. Looks like you have an issue with your right channel, if you only have a horiz line on your scope.
zbit 8:33 PM - 23 February, 2014
Its not the channel dude. Tried all of them
DJ VEE 1:42 AM - 24 February, 2014
Oops, sorry for the confusion. The right (red) side signal on your RCA cable from your deck.
selectajay 1:51 AM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:

yup that might be his problem..
Ive experienced his same issue years ago