DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Which CDJ is best for me?

DJ Tino C 3:01 AM - 14 February, 2014
I've been torn on this for months after doing much research. Aside from price, I am leaning towards either the CDJ 2000 nexus or the Denon SC3900. I have heard from some people that the CDJ 2000 is a waste if you are using a computer with Serato DJ because it limits what you can do. What I do like about them is that I don't have to depend on the computer, but is there if I choose to use it. I have also heard that Rekordbox is great. Now if I choose NOT to use the computer, then I essentially Wasted my money on having a Rane 62 which is Serato based. Basically what I am trying to get at is if I use Serato DJ, is the 2000 nexus the best CDJ to buy? Can I get some feedback please? Preferably from people familiar in using both. Thanks. @extremeevents_djtino
lvmez 3:20 AM - 14 February, 2014
Have you looked into the new cdj 900 nexus? Cheaper and newer technology.
DJ Tino C 4:49 AM - 14 February, 2014
Yes, I have! Also one of my options. What new technology vs the 2000s?
Code:E 7:04 AM - 14 February, 2014
If i where you dont consider the denon. But either the 900 or the 2000 nexus would be great.
Quote:
. I have heard from some people that the CDJ 2000 is a waste if you are using a computer with Serato DJ because it limits what you can do. What I do like about them is that I don't have to depend on the computer, but is there if I choose to use it.

They lied (or dont know what there talking about) and you have the right idea why CDJs are great built in hardware backup.

I keep humming and hawwing about selling my cdj2ks' and buying the DDJSZ, but No backup, unless i have a 2nd computer, and then if the controller ever goes down I'm just fucked.
Jensen Määäm 7:30 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
If i where you dont consider the denon. But either the 900 or the 2000 nexus would be great.
Quote:
. I have heard from some people that the CDJ 2000 is a waste if you are using a computer with Serato DJ because it limits what you can do. What I do like about them is that I don't have to depend on the computer, but is there if I choose to use it.

They lied (or dont know what there talking about) and you have the right idea why CDJs are great built in hardware backup.

I keep humming and hawwing about selling my cdj2ks' and buying the DDJSZ, but No backup, unless i have a 2nd computer, and then if the controller ever goes down I'm just fucked.

That's why you should keep your CDJ 2000s, you have everything you need, it's more relieable, you can play from different sources and you have a backup if one of the CDJs breaks down. Why bothering will selling the stuff and loosing money? What will you gain? Nothing. Save your time and money!
Code:E 8:30 AM - 14 February, 2014
oh you dont have to tell me. My CDJS have paid for them selfs already in renting them out to clubs and events.
DJ Tino C 2:46 PM - 14 February, 2014
I've done alot of reading up, looked at some of these comments and I think I am even more indecisive than before lol. I think I might buy the Denons...for now due to pricepoint and using for mobile gigs. I can get them for $1000 with 2 road cases shipped, which us a deal! As far as using the 900 or 2000 nexus models, why would you guys personally buy these over the Denon 3900s? For me, the moving platter that is motorized is a huge seller coming from 1200s.
Jensen Määäm 5:20 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
I've done alot of reading up, looked at some of these comments and I think I am even more indecisive than before lol. I think I might buy the Denons...for now due to pricepoint and using for mobile gigs. I can get them for $1000 with 2 road cases shipped, which us a deal! As far as using the 900 or 2000 nexus models, why would you guys personally buy these over the Denon 3900s? For me, the moving platter that is motorized is a huge seller coming from 1200s.

I prefer Technics turntables, but if I have to use CDJs, I use them with SSL in HID Modus, that's why I prefer Pioneer CDJ 900s or 2000s.
I like the moving platters on the Denons, but what I don't like is: pushing buttons for the pitch bend. You can use the Denons in Hybrid MIDI mode with SSL, which is nice. But Serato didn't say anything about the Denons and MIDI Hybrid mode in SDJ. So with the 900s or 2000s you are more on the safe side.
DJ Tino C 5:58 PM - 14 February, 2014
Thats a large part of why I want to go the Pioneer route. They are "The Standard" and have an established relationship if you will with Serato, ensuring future support and compatibility. This is the initial problem I had with my Numark V7s. I waited like 3 years to finally use them with Serato DJ. In the end, my goal is to have a mobile rig where I don't have to depend on the computer just in case, or be able to use an SD card or USB. I guess my indecisiveness is from the fact that I have never used a CDJ or Denon CDJ with motor. Sorry if I sound repetitive. $1000-$2500+ is a nice chunk of change to lay out. Not going to front, I mix mostly at home and do occasional gigs. Not as much as I used to. So that factors into it too.
Jensen Määäm 7:01 PM - 14 February, 2014
Get 2 CDJ 900s used in good condition and call it a day.
Code:E 7:10 PM - 14 February, 2014
dont waste your money on denon decks. You will need to get used to non spinning platters someday. If you still want spinning platters get turntables. Else Pioneer CDJS are the best bet.
raequan 7:18 PM - 14 February, 2014
I have cdj 850 and had denon 3700 both no difference with me....

Since you have a 62 and want to use serato dj. The 900 will work on hid mode....

Only reason to want the cdj 2000 if you want cue points when playing USB record box..

The 62 has cue points so the 900 is a no brainer when using serato dj
DJ Jonasty 7:38 PM - 14 February, 2014
The cdj 2000 performance with Serato dj is average at best. The 4 beat auto loop button doesn't work. The looping is buggy. Also the needle search feature works without the platter being stopped. Meaning it's easy to scrub thru a song. Too easy. They work great with ssl and even better with rekordbox. Just my 2 cents. Haven't used the 2k nexus yet.
DJ Tino C 12:39 AM - 15 February, 2014
Dont shoot me, BUT, ended up at Guitar Center today by chance, played with the NS7 MK2, and loved it! Any of you mess with it yet? Everybody has good things to say and bad things to say about all of the above mentioned including the NS7 2. I guess in the end, I might just have to take a shot at what I feel is best, after I play with some CDJs first of course!
Jensen Määäm 1:26 AM - 15 February, 2014
Quote:
Dont shoot me, BUT, ended up at Guitar Center today by chance, played with the NS7 MK2, and loved it! Any of you mess with it yet? Everybody has good things to say and bad things to say about all of the above mentioned including the NS7 2. I guess in the end, I might just have to take a shot at what I feel is best, after I play with some CDJs first of course!

Do your testing and get what's best for you.
I have 2 turntables, 2 CDJs, a mixer and a Rane soundcard, I don't need a controller.
I will use a controller if there is one at the venue, that's about it.
J Moak 1:55 AM - 10 December, 2018
Anyone have any thoughts about the xdj 1000’s vs cdj 900 nexus to use in conjunction with serato? They’re about the same price and both Serato OSA. My mixer is the Duo mk2 so all my cue points and loop functions are on my mixer. The xdj or cdj’s will essentially be glorified jog wheels to control serato. I don’t ever see myself needing the cd port on the 900 and I’ll probably never use USB since I have 2 laptops to run Serato.
RR437T 2:37 AM - 10 December, 2018
A pair of Rane 12's may be your best option.
dj_soo 2:38 AM - 10 December, 2018
Only the xdj mk1s have hid for serato. Mk2s don’t.
djvtyme85 2:39 AM - 10 December, 2018
my only gripe with the xdj 1000 is the platter is more akin to the cdj 850 which i personally do not like. the platter on the 850 just always felt off and the cdj 900 is right in the middle and is great after being broken in. wheras the 850/ feel horrible after the break in period, which you want to be careful about bc unlike 2000s there is no adjustment. as well, i hope you are considering the mk1 xdj 1000s if you plan on using HID with serato bc you cant with the xdj 1000 mk2. personally even though you wont be using the cd function on the basis of resell value i’d get the 900 or save some money if you dont mind the 850 platter and get those.
dj_soo 2:40 AM - 10 December, 2018
Or you could grab the denon mc5000s for $999 ea. Which also have full serato hid - although there have been problem reported using it with the 72.
J Moak 2:55 AM - 10 December, 2018
Yeah I see that only the xdj 1000 are currently OSA but I’m wondering if the xdj 1000 mkII will soon be? I think I’ll wait it out a bit but I’m leaning towards 900 nexus.
dj_soo 5:36 AM - 10 December, 2018
never buy something with the expectation that they are going to add or change functionality.
J Moak 1:10 PM - 10 December, 2018
No I feel you. I wouldn’t but the mkII hoping they become OSA but I may just keep using my turntables and see what comes out.
DJ Intrigue 4:48 PM - 10 December, 2018
Which CDJ is best? No CDJ, that is certainly the best.
J Moak 5:35 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
Which CDJ is best? No CDJ, that is certainly the best.

Are you a Turntable guy or just not a fan of cdj’s? I’ve never used cdj’s but am looking to move on from my turn tables since I don’t scratch a ton and mainly do weddings and bars. I like hearing people’s opinions based on their experience etc. I have a dj sr 2 for back up so I figured cdj’s are similar.
DJ Intrigue 5:38 PM - 10 December, 2018
I’m a turntable guy. And don’t get CDJ’s, be smart and get yourself the Denon units. Those are far and away the best midi controllers.
J Moak 5:47 PM - 10 December, 2018
Good to know. Appreciate the input.
Culprit 6:54 PM - 10 December, 2018
dont buy anything until after NAMM
Mr. Goodkat 8:05 PM - 10 December, 2018
the dumb thing about the cdj 900 nexus, doesnt play flacs or alacs and no cue points, NOT that its a huge thing, but going forward, it just doesnt make sense.

the xdj 1000 mk2 can play both formats, but the cues are on screen, which isnt huge, but theres a lot of menus going on there, which im sure would be easy to get used to after a while but just hopping on some, it gets a little tiresome and confusing.

im at the same point. i really just wanna get some 2000 nexus mk1s but they're hard to find cuz they're fine and the 2000 nexus mk2 wasnt really a necessary update
J Moak 12:35 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
the dumb thing about the cdj 900 nexus, doesnt play flacs or alacs and no cue points, NOT that its a huge thing, but going forward, it just doesnt make sense.

the xdj 1000 mk2 can play both formats, but the cues are on screen, which isnt huge, but theres a lot of menus going on there, which im sure would be easy to get used to after a while but just hopping on some, it gets a little tiresome and confusing.

im at the same point. i really just wanna get some 2000 nexus mk1s but they're hard to find cuz they're fine and the 2000 nexus mk2 wasnt really a necessary update

Yeah that stuff doesn’t matter to me since I’ll only be using them with Serato as I have multiple laptops for back ups. Realistically I’d be better off getting an sz or sz 2 and save the $$
Culprit 1:47 AM - 11 December, 2018
What's the difference between the 2kmk1 vs 2kmk2?
Mr. Goodkat 1:49 AM - 11 December, 2018
dj_soo 2:13 AM - 11 December, 2018
Mk2 - more file support (including flac and ALAC), better waveform views, best jump feature, 4 cue points switchable to control 8 cue points (vs 3 on the mk1).
dj_soo 2:14 AM - 11 December, 2018
If you’re just looking for serato hid players, the Twelves or the Denon MC5000 would be a better bet.
Culprit 3:20 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
If you’re just looking for serato hid players, the Twelves or the Denon MC5000 would be a better bet.

i love my cdj 900 nexus players I just hate that they are not SSL compatible. I was getting some major progress with making this HID compliant myself but i ran a snag with the players. I couldnt fine tune when you release the platter it would slow down them jump back up, was almost perfect.
Culprit 3:23 AM - 11 December, 2018

i did google it but i wanted a more insiders perspective from a serato dj users standpoint of view
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:47 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:

Only SC5000 non motorised is supported currently.

5000M is not.