DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ AM and Open Format style DJ'ing

BIGG BEAR 8:48 PM - 12 February, 2014
So a while back I asked for some recommendations for some open format style djing.
A few people said to listen to the late DJ AM.
So I have and I found him to be very entertaining and inventive with the mix combinations,I'm not really a scratch dj so I can't comment there,what I did find is that he did take lots of chances with the mixes and in certain parts the mixes were very messy with quite a few mistakes,Was that just his style?
Anyway I'm not complaining I found the stuff creative and entertaining.
Anyone have any links to what you consider to be great AM mixes.
Also anyone recommend anyone else to listen to for the open format style?
dj_soo 8:53 PM - 12 February, 2014
Check out Z-Trip.
DJ DisGrace 8:53 PM - 12 February, 2014
If you don't make mistakes, you're not trying hard enough. That's my motto!
Nicky Blunt 9:04 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
Check out Z-Trip.

+1 Z-Trip is hella creative!
Nicky Blunt 9:05 PM - 12 February, 2014
look for some mr thing sets too
DJ Benny B NYC 9:07 PM - 12 February, 2014
Hollertronix - Never Scared is the best mixtape of this style soundcloud.com

This is the best DJ AM mix: soundcloud.com
BIGG BEAR 9:12 PM - 12 February, 2014
Yes I agree with you please don't think I'm being nasty or anything that's not my intention. I heard some stuff where I thought wow that's awesome and then I heard some mixes that were a bit rough. It got me thinking maybe we play it too safe sometimes. I guess I was expecting a perfect mix each time. But since I've heard these I kinda feel like experimenting more and am not so worried if I fuck up every now and then.
dj_soo 9:16 PM - 12 February, 2014
nah, AM has always been a little bit on the sloppy side to me. Respect what he accomplished and what he did for the industry, but he's never been my favourite DJ to listen to.
DJ Benny B NYC 9:26 PM - 12 February, 2014
the reason you hear sloppy mixes is probably because when he started he was using vinyl not serato. his earlier mixes are sloppier.
BIGG BEAR 9:43 PM - 12 February, 2014
If anyone's interested these are some of the mixes I've listened to.........

soundcloud.com
soundcloud.com
soundcloud.com
In fact I burnt them to disc to listen to in the car.
Will check out some of the suggestions as well thanks.
BIGG BEAR 9:51 PM - 12 February, 2014
loads of z trip on soundcloud any recommendations for some of his best in open format style please
Mr. Goodkat 11:13 PM - 12 February, 2014
lots of open format guys get sloppy imo for several reasons

a. you usually are playing on setups that arent really made for dj'ing(ala stages, improper monitors, EXTREMELY LOUD levels.

b. you are trying to get through 45-80+ songs in an hr with loops, intros, transitions etc

c. listening to it on home monitors or headphones(or the car) takes the make up off. even pretty girls look better with a little make up. no natural reverb and noise to cover up.

d. djs have a much more critical ear than the avg listener because you know what is going on.

e. i hate to come off like a AM fanboy, because i really wasnt at the time, but in retrospect what he did has become more impressive.

f. what ive come to find from AM is that he was going really wide with his selection as far as 60s-00s. From what i heard, unless they were his own edits he didnt publicize, is that he used a lot of original tracks and not remixes. 'Use Your Love' comes to mind, because he played the orig with a loop rather than play the Roctakon edit or some other redrum

g.in todays world of cheap DAW's almost everyone that does a live mix uses some form of editing, whether it be light compression to even out levels or doing multitracked mixes with drops reedits, etc. Very few live mixes of anyone, can stand up to what you can do in a few hours of editing.

z trip has his rock, hip hop and classics thing down, but i dont think his style ever went that far pop. AM knew how to get pretty much everyone to agree on pop hits, which in the grand scheme of things is pretty hard to do and not come off as a wedding dj. Seemed like he knew his audience and had a range that very few dj ever have had.

to me its like Too Short said, and i paraphrase, 'there were alot of better rappers than too short, but you would rather listen to too short'.

RIP KING AM
Aden 11:45 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
Check out Z-Trip.

Yep. Z is always very tight and accurate with his mixing and scratching. Check out Live in LA.
O.B.1 12:44 AM - 13 February, 2014
Also check out DJ P.
I like his DJ'ing better than Z-Trip, although I like Z-Trip's creativity...
The album they worked on together "Un-Easy Listening", while not really a "DJ mix", contains some fun production.
funkyfresh2012 2:23 AM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
lots of open format guys get sloppy imo for several reasons

a. you usually are playing on setups that arent really made for dj'ing(ala stages, improper monitors, EXTREMELY LOUD levels.

b. you are trying to get through 45-80+ songs in an hr with loops, intros, transitions etc

c. listening to it on home monitors or headphones(or the car) takes the make up off. even pretty girls look better with a little make up. no natural reverb and noise to cover up.

d. djs have a much more critical ear than the avg listener because you know what is going on.

e. i hate to come off like a AM fanboy, because i really wasnt at the time, but in retrospect what he did has become more impressive.

f. what ive come to find from AM is that he was going really wide with his selection as far as 60s-00s. From what i heard, unless they were his own edits he didnt publicize, is that he used a lot of original tracks and not remixes. 'Use Your Love' comes to mind, because he played the orig with a loop rather than play the Roctakon edit or some other redrum

g.in todays world of cheap DAW's almost everyone that does a live mix uses some form of editing, whether it be light compression to even out levels or doing multitracked mixes with drops reedits, etc. Very few live mixes of anyone, can stand up to what you can do in a few hours of editing.

z trip has his rock, hip hop and classics thing down, but i dont think his style ever went that far pop. AM knew how to get pretty much everyone to agree on pop hits, which in the grand scheme of things is pretty hard to do and not come off as a wedding dj. Seemed like he knew his audience and had a range that very few dj ever have had.

to me its like Too Short said, and i paraphrase, 'there were alot of better rappers than too short, but you would rather listen to too short'.

RIP KING AM

nicely stated.

What i liked a lot about his live mixes was that he kept busy when djing, which made it look interesting for the non-dj crowd watching and listening.
DJ Construc 1:09 AM - 14 February, 2014
Spinbad owns the open format style, he is way better than AM, Z Trip and P combined... www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

It's sad how underrated he is
DJ Construc 1:17 AM - 14 February, 2014
Unlike AM Spin can actually pull these type of mixes off without fucking up.
BIGG BEAR 2:00 AM - 14 February, 2014
I like these spinbad mixes
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:06 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Spinbad owns the open format style, he is way better than AM, Z Trip and P combined... www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

DOsent spin bad do a lot of multi tracking in his mixes though
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:08 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

DOsent spin bad do a lot of multi tracking in his mixes though

I would also assume the guy who runs crooklyn uses a lot of pre made mashups and edits lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:08 AM - 14 February, 2014
the scratchings legit though
DJ DisGrace 2:22 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
I would also assume the guy who runs crooklyn uses a lot of pre made mashups and edits lol

good point

Quote:
he used a lot of original tracks and not remixes

+1

I always prefer listening to someone mix original versions. I don't even like intro edits if I can avoid them. It takes more creativity and talent, and I'm more likely to forgive any mistakes. Jazzy Jeff is another guy that uses almost entirely original versions.
phonze 2:26 AM - 14 February, 2014
Great point about using the original versions. Using intros, edits, quantized versions (is that the right term?) is a crutch I rely upon a little too much. Sure, it'll come off cleaner but takes away from the skill/creativity of it. Anybody with a sync button can use those versions and beat match them.
DJ DisGrace 2:29 AM - 14 February, 2014
it also requires headphones.....

*runs and hides from DJ Construc*
Mr. Goodkat 2:57 AM - 14 February, 2014
i have no doubt that there were better djs than AM and no doubt he was in the right place at the right time. 5 years earlier or later and that style probably doesn't get the same shine as it did coming off the demise of trance and the fading popularity around house/edm combined with the rave act killing off many early-mid 2000s rave kids that may have been exposed more to electronic music.

However, i can point to many instances of guys heralded as the greatest athlete or businessmen and say the same thing.
pdidy 3:48 AM - 14 February, 2014
The acceptable level of sloppiness is directly proportional too the level of Difficulty.
Esco... 3:52 AM - 14 February, 2014
Since we're speaking on DJ AM. Does anyone know the scratch combo he does in this mix when he's cutting up Throw Ya Gunz?

soundcloud.com

from 54:28 - 54:30
DJ Remy USA 4:27 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

www.mixcrate.com

This is DJing right here to me, Spinbad totally kills it.
ozfrombk 4:28 AM - 14 February, 2014
I would like to hear a live Spinbad mix
DJ Construc 4:42 AM - 14 February, 2014
You guys aren't paying attention lol. Sure Spin's "mixtapes" are heavily multi tracked but not his live mixes which he has quit a few posted on his mixcrate page. Yes he uses some intro tracks but he utilizes them very well but dropping acapellas and hitting the cue point to jump back to the intro part to do live blends at the same damn time. I use to wonder if his "live" mixes were really done live because they are so clean and sound layered at times but when he was on the Miki D'z show, you actually saw him do it live with no headphones (thank you very much) and it was near perfect.
DJ Construc 4:45 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:

Live mix: www.mixcrate.com

DJ Construc 4:48 AM - 14 February, 2014
Damn, did nobody listen to him when he was on Ny's Power 105 or CT's Power 104? I remember the first time I heard him on the radio doing ridiculous scratch combos and super tight blends, literally light years beyond what other radio DJ's could do
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:48 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
You guys aren't paying attention lol. Sure Spin's "mixtapes" are heavily multi tracked but not his live mixes which he has quit a few posted on his mixcrate page. Yes he uses some intro tracks but he utilizes them very well but dropping acapellas and hitting the cue point to jump back to the intro part to do live blends at the same damn time. I use to wonder if his "live" mixes were really done live because they are so clean and sound layered at times but when he was on the Miki D'z show, you actually saw him do it live with no headphones (thank you very much) and it was near perfect.

Ya i didn't notice that some of those were live mixes until after i posted. Nice stuff. Though for the sake of argument, if your doing a set in 2011 that is essentially (possibly) the exact same set you've been doing since 1992.....shouldnt you be expected to have it down to a science? lol
DJ Construc 5:05 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Ya i didn't notice that some of those were live mixes until after i posted. Nice stuff. Though for the sake of argument, if your doing a set in 2011 that is essentially (possibly) the exact same set you've been doing since 1992.....shouldnt you be expected to have it down to a science? lol

Oh come on man! lol. This dude deserves more credit than what you people give him, he was on the "mash up" shit before any of the people who are commonly credited with pioneering that style style, even AM himself admitted on this very forum that Spin's first 80's mix is one of the most amazing mixes ever. The open format style as we know it today I honestly believe has it's roots in what this guy did early in his career and yet nobody seems to credit him for it. Another crazy thing about Spin is that he was crabbing and flaring back in '95-96 which is nuts because he was doing some cuts that weren't even a year old at the time and these cuts were coming from the west coast but he was on the east coast... there was no youtube, no facebook ect. How the hell was he able to find out how to do these cuts and perform them so sharp in that short amount of time? These are things that make a true idol imo.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:08 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh come on man! lol. This dude deserves more credit than what you people give him, he was on the "mash up" shit before any of the people who are commonly credited with pioneering that style style, even AM himself admitted on this very forum that Spin's first 80's mix is one of the most amazing mixes ever. The open format style as we know it today I honestly believe has it's roots in what this guy did early in his career and yet nobody seems to credit him for it. Another crazy thing about Spin is that he was crabbing and flaring back in '95-96 which is nuts because he was doing some cuts that weren't even a year old at the time and these cuts were coming from the west coast but he was on the east coast... there was no youtube, no facebook ect. How the hell was he able to find out how to do these cuts and perform them so sharp in that short amount of time? These are things that make a true idol imo.

Ya but did spin bad ever bang nichole richie? NAAAH son lol
DJ Construc 5:08 AM - 14 February, 2014
And seriously, take a good listen to that first 80's mix. Sure it was multi tracked and he probably had to do a lot of retakes to get it to sound like that but then stop to think about the fact that this was before DVS and all those crazy cuts and juggles were done on vinyl, pshsh I don't care how many takes it took, there are DMC champs who couldn't get some of those records to sound like that in a million takes.
Mr. Goodkat 5:52 AM - 14 February, 2014
usually the first to get recognized in an area is the best, but maybe not know outside of certain circles or regions. Timing and circumstance is what really matters when it comes to nation/worldwide mainstream recognition.

another thing i noticed with AM was he was one of the first to use Serato to more than just dj like a typical record. For a lot of people, including me, watch him dj a few times was kinda like a SSL workshop since i was basic blends selector at that time and had never really thought of turntablist style djing that much because of the difficulty(and personal choice of music and mixing).
DJ Construc 6:12 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya but did spin bad ever bang nichole richie? NAAAH son lol

Yup, cuz that's what makes a good DJ lol.
DJ Construc 6:13 AM - 14 February, 2014
Although I must say, Spin does have a hot Asian wife from what I've seen on instagram lol
DJ Greg J 7:21 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Check out Z-Trip.

Check out Z-Trip and DJ P's mix Uneasy Listening
DJ Greg J 7:26 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:

it's not DJ AM for sure, not even close, or even somewhat close.

DJ AM was the best DJ of all time live, there shouldn't be any doubt about that and all great DJ's agree on this. He wasn't even close to being a great turntablist, but he was the best DJ who ever rocked crowds, without any doubt.

Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about, or at the very least just hasn't seen all of these DJ's live before.

Z-Trip is very artistic, awesome, and I love the dude for his creativity, but I've seen him completely clear more floors than I've seen him fill.
DJ Construc 7:57 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

DJ AM was the best DJ of all time live, there shouldn't be any doubt about that and all great DJ's agree on this. He wasn't even close to being a great turntablist, but he was the best DJ who ever rocked crowds, without any doubt.

Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about, or at the very least just hasn't seen all of these DJ's live before.

Z-Trip is very artistic, awesome, and I love the dude for his creativity, but I've seen him completely clear more floors than I've seen him fill.

Lol that's an opinion my man, I have not seen AM live but I have a hard time getting through any of his live mixes because of how sloppy they are. Spin's live shit is 100x cleaner.
 6 1:52 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol that's an opinion my man, I have not seen AM live but I have a hard time getting through any of his live mixes because of how sloppy they are. Spin's live shit is 100x cleaner.

This is the truth. Sloppy to the point where to me he sounds like he is either too high or too drunk.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:41 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im listenin to spins set now and IMHO, and just is just my personal taste, I dont perfer the cleanliness of spin. Everything with spin is surgical its like song, ok here comes the transition, wow he pulled off withas few moves as possible. On the other hand AMs slopy mixes, to me, made it sound lile he was doin more.
ozfrombk 3:52 PM - 14 February, 2014
Original Spinbad form Philly thread

serato.com
ozfrombk 3:53 PM - 14 February, 2014
from*

Just making sure everyone's history is correct lol
DJ Construc 6:28 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im listenin to spins set now and IMHO, and just is just my personal taste, I dont perfer the cleanliness of spin. Everything with spin is surgical its like song, ok here comes the transition, wow he pulled off withas few moves as possible. On the other hand AMs slopy mixes, to me, made it sound lile he was doin more.

I think you just shit for the sake of disagreeing my dude... A few years back I shared a Blends mix that I did and in the description I said it was "bit sloppy at parts" and you gave me shit for that but now your telling me that sloppy is good? Idk about you Mr. Bezzle.
DJ Construc 6:28 PM - 14 February, 2014
say*
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:45 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you just shit for the sake of disagreeing my dude... A few years back I shared a Blends mix that I did and in the description I said it was "bit sloppy at parts" and you gave me shit for that but now your telling me that sloppy is good? Idk about you Mr. Bezzle.

Link?? Dosent sound like something Id say lol
DJ Construc 6:48 PM - 14 February, 2014
I don't remember, it was somewhere in that thread I made about not wearing headphones
DJ Benny B NYC 6:49 PM - 14 February, 2014
i agree with the spinbad love and spinbad 80s mixes deserve a shoutout for sure
Aden 7:06 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I completely disagree. I've seen Z spin 20+ times in Chicago, Vegas, SF, LA and San Diego and I've never seen him clear a dance floor.....always the opposite actually. Most established djs I've spoken to think Z is one of the best at rocking a party. AM's name never comes up.

I've never SEEN AM live but listened to his sets and watched him on YouTube. I don't see him as being the best live dj of all time. Are there some YouTube videos I can watch of AM straight killing it? No offense to him and his talent I just disagree with your statement........but I'm willing to be wrong. :)

I've never seen Jazzy Jeff live in person either but every recording or video I've seen he's absolutely murdering it. I know many great djs that agree.
Aden 7:07 PM - 14 February, 2014
Btw, I thought AM was a really good dj.....just not great.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:14 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
I don't remember, it was somewhere in that thread I made about not wearing headphones

I clearly remember trashing your track selection and and lack of hair but I dont remember calling your mix sloppy lol
Mr. Goodkat 7:15 PM - 14 February, 2014
its just my opinion, but cleanliness isnt a trait that i think is the most important in open format sets. With edm or real techno or house(and all there derivatives), i get it, the mix is the focus, because all of that music was made for mixing. Its phrased for mixing and its meant to be mixed.

unless someone is really, really awful, the only people that ever say anything about sloppiness are djs. or dj's friends in that forum(mainstream clubs).

Open format you need to be loud and aggressive, layer kicks on occasion, flange things, use drops and sfx, theres no real subtlety to that style(again IMO). Ive seen a ton of house guys try to play open format and it always comes off as boring, because they do such a traditional house mix style.

Unfortunately, we came up(in the 90s if you are from that era), and of course the more educated dj and listener, with a different concept than most average club goers as to how things should sound.

unless someone is really, really awful, the only people that ever say anything about sloppiness are djs. or dj's friends in that forum(mainstream clubs).
CMOS 7:16 PM - 14 February, 2014
If Jazzy Jeff fucked Nicole Ritchie the world would have been a better place.
Mr. Goodkat 7:16 PM - 14 February, 2014
oops, that was edited bad. you get the point
 6 7:44 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
If Jazzy Jeff fucked Nicole Ritchie the world would have been a better place.

hahaha

nm
BIGG BEAR 5:34 AM - 15 February, 2014
I can see how AM's style appeals to a more mainstream crowd I liked the z trip mixes and also the spinbad mixes.On the DJ AM mixes I was suprised to find that quite allot of the mixes were repeated from one gig to another,sometimes a sequence of 4 or 5 tracks,but I suppose if you're doing a ton of gigs at this level you must have a bunch of tried and tested sequences that you've worked on.
DJ Greg J 5:00 PM - 15 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I completely disagree. I've seen Z spin 20+ times in Chicago, Vegas, SF, LA and San Diego and I've never seen him clear a dance floor.....always the opposite actually. Most established djs I've spoken to think Z is one of the best at rocking a party. AM's name never comes up.

I've never SEEN AM live but listened to his sets and watched him on YouTube. I don't see him as being the best live dj of all time. Are there some YouTube videos I can watch of AM straight killing it? No offense to him and his talent I just disagree with your statement........but I'm willing to be wrong. :)

I've never seen Jazzy Jeff live in person either but every recording or video I've seen he's absolutely murdering it. I know many great djs that agree.

Good call, can't believe I forgot about Jazzy Jeff, dude is incredible.

I love those Spinbad mixes too, and to be fair only saw him live once.

I've seen Z a hundred times probably, going back to the 90's when him and Radar would open, have always been a b-boy, was a HUGE Z-Trip fan, it's probably more so to do with Z-Trip just not being willing to fully play for mainstream crowds than not being able to, he for sure is amazing at playing for rock crowds and old school hip hop crowds.

I should prob clarify when I say AM was the best of all time, I don't mean overall DJ in the history of the world at everything. I'm talking specifically for this thread and this style, with playing open format to mainstream crowds. Dude was incredible and opened the floodgates for all of us at the time to have a lot more fun at all of those kinds of gigs.
DJ DisGrace 3:43 PM - 16 February, 2014
Those Spinbad mixes are DOPE. However, I would point out that AM's open format is much more "open" that Spinbad's. Throwing in "Eye of The Tiger" doesn't make it an open format mix. The rest of the tracks are either hip-hop, funk, or soul, which simply makes it a good (ok, great) hip-hop mix in my books. AM went way out of the box with some of his mix ideas, which is what I appreciate, and which is why I can tolerate some sloppiness.

I think we need to better define the "open format" style. I got into the mash-up craze when Serato first came out, mixing stuff like The Dixie Cups, The Beach Boys, Chariots of Fire theme, Billie Joel, etc into my sets. This is what I would call open format. Mixing classic funk/soul into a hip-hop set is awesome, but that's not "open format", it's still a pretty narrow spectrum.
 6 5:42 PM - 16 February, 2014
I've never seen AM mix any cumbias or Banda. Be ain't no open format DJ.

:-P

nm
 6 5:42 PM - 16 February, 2014
Be = He
nm
DJ Construc 7:11 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Those Spinbad mixes are DOPE. However, I would point out that AM's open format is much more "open" that Spinbad's. Throwing in "Eye of The Tiger" doesn't make it an open format mix. The rest of the tracks are either hip-hop, funk, or soul, which simply makes it a good (ok, great) hip-hop mix in my books. AM went way out of the box with some of his mix ideas, which is what I appreciate, and which is why I can tolerate some sloppiness.

I think we need to better define the "open format" style. I got into the mash-up craze when Serato first came out, mixing stuff like The Dixie Cups, The Beach Boys, Chariots of Fire theme, Billie Joel, etc into my sets. This is what I would call open format. Mixing classic funk/soul into a hip-hop set is awesome, but that's not "open format", it's still a pretty narrow spectrum.

i see your point but did you listen to Spins "Live in Japan" mixes? Those have more genres mixed in.
DJ DisGrace 7:21 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

i see your point but did you listen to Spins "Live in Japan" mixes? Those have more genres mixed in.

I'm getting to it! Only so many hours in the day! Appreciate the links, I gotta admit I slept on Spinbad.
Mr. Goodkat 7:46 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm getting to it! Only so many hours in the day! Appreciate the links, I gotta admit I slept on Spinbad.

+1.

after hearing construc mix, i can see why he doesnt appreciate sloppiness. it is clear that you can practice what you preach, cuz that mix is tight, honestly much tighter than the majority of more well known djs in the open formant genre.
DJ Michael Basic 8:34 PM - 16 February, 2014
Construc is the truth.
dj_soo 9:14 PM - 16 February, 2014
"open format" was just so much more impressive on vinyl.
 6 9:45 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
"open format" was just so much more impressive on vinyl.

true

nm
pdidy 10:12 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1.

after hearing construc mix, i can see why he doesnt appreciate sloppiness. it is clear that you can practice what you preach, cuz that mix is tight, honestly much tighter than the majority of more well known djs in the open formant genre.

Quote:
Construc is the truth.

Devils advocate:
Can Construc maintain this "Tight, clean" style under the same conditions as DJ AM Night after night, in different cities, on different sets, in mega clubs, on mega sound systems, in front of 2000 guests, while maintaining this standard for years.......?
DJ Construc 10:27 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1.

Quote:
Construc is the truth.

Devils advocate:
Can Construc maintain this "Tight, clean" style under the same conditions as DJ AM Night after night, in different cities, on different sets, in mega clubs, on mega sound systems, in front of 2000 guests, while maintaining this standard for years.......?

If only I could have that chance. lol. I hate to sound like "that guy" but I honestly think I could pull it off, I believe I would even be much better than I am now because knowing that there a lot of people who are actually paying attention to what I'm doing inspires and motivates me to do better. In this horrible area of Western Ma I am in, I could be fucking Trentino and nobody would give a shit. If I had the opportunity to do the gigs that AM had, you bet your ass I would DJ my ass off. It's not that hard to be clean and tight if you practice, this is kind of what I do ;)
DJ Construc 10:33 PM - 16 February, 2014
And for the record, I am not saying that you have to be perfect... I call Spinbad's mixes "near perfect" because even his live mixes have minor slip ups here and there and I agree that a little bit of human error is cool because it adds that rawness element which is the beauty of live sets but AM's sloppyness was just too much for my taste. I don't mean any disrespect to him or his fans but for me personally, I don't think I have ever made it through an entire AM set lol
DJ Construc 10:38 PM - 16 February, 2014
One more thing, I would be willing to bet that if AM's mixes were to be posted on this forum by another DJ, you guys would rip it to shreds. #truthbetold
pdidy 11:18 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
And for the record, I am not saying that you have to be perfect... I call Spinbad's mixes "near perfect" because even his live mixes have minor slip ups here and there and I agree that a little bit of human error is cool because it adds that rawness element which is the beauty of live sets but AM's sloppyness was just too much for my taste. I don't mean any disrespect to him or his fans but for me personally, I don't think I have ever made it through an entire AM set lol

I too have never made it through a dj am set but not due to his "alleged sloppiness" but because of his music selection. I always felt he was a great dj technically but It simply does not fit my NYC taste while on the other hand Spinbad plays "MY" music style and is seriously wicked.

My devils advocate question was purely unbiased......

But I do question MOST djs ability to stay clean while also maintaining A high level of creativity and technical skill under "superstar dj " conditions.

I believe for most of us mere mortals like myself its a trade off.....I can be super clean but I will need to dilute my creativity and technical skill a bit. Or I can go all in with creativity and technical skill but come off a lil sloppy.

Btw, The only people likely to HEAR my sloppiness is other dj's, So is it worth holding back just to be clean ? yea I no, opinion and personal preference ;)
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:23 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I too have never made it through a dj am set but not due to his "alleged sloppiness" but because of his music selection. I always felt he was a great dj technically but It simply does not fit my NYC taste

ya he did tend to mix songs together and he rarely yelled on the mic lol ;)
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:24 PM - 16 February, 2014
while we're on the subject of great open format DJs I think four color zack is a great example of a current true open format dj
DJ Construc 12:01 AM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
while we're on the subject of great open format DJs I think four color zack is a great example of a current true open format dj

Hell yeah, he comes up with some sick shit for sure
 6 2:18 AM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
One more thing, I would be willing to bet that if AM's mixes were to be posted on this forum by another DJ, you guys would rip it to shreds. #truthbetold

Bingo

nm
DJ Construc 4:33 AM - 17 February, 2014
Another DJ who is just super sick with the open format and super clean too is DJ Riz, and he also doesn't get enough recognition. Check this mix out... m.mixcloud.com
dj_soo 11:25 AM - 17 February, 2014
Also check out The Rub guys - Cosmo Baker, DJ Ayres, and Eleven. They put out some sick mixes...
Mr. Goodkat 7:31 PM - 17 February, 2014
cosmo is the don. ayres is nice. 11 is .......
sumoJr 8:44 PM - 17 February, 2014
anyone have info where one could find cosmo set at one of the do overs
Mr. Goodkat 9:16 PM - 17 February, 2014
soundcloud.com
BIGG BEAR 10:32 PM - 17 February, 2014
Would like to hear A trak do a full on open format set,same with Mark Ronson.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:39 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:

Do atraks do over sets count
BIGG BEAR 11:29 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

links please.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:03 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

links please.

He's done a few bout heres the first one i ran into, not a "true" open format set but its still damn good

soundcloud.com
auttomattik 6:54 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yo Construc, no doubt Spin is one of the dopest to do it, and most slept on cats out. He is crazy on the cuts, but as far as the crabbing and flaring mad early, there were a lot of dudes on the East Coast getting down, Rob Swift was one. Also, Spin and Rev have been down forever, so they borrowed a lot of technique from each other. Those 2 motherfuckers could chirp all day back and forth. Also, Revolution is originally from shitty Western Mass, Haha! He got the fuck out doe. He use to DJ dances when I was in junior high, no shit. I think Rev's mixes are mad slept on. His ABC's of Breaks series is crazy.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:17 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Spinbad owns the open format style, he is way better than AM, Z Trip and P

Man look, I've BEEN tellin' cats about Spinbad since he was holding down TWO DIFFERENT NY RADIO SHOWS on TWO DIFFERENT STATIONS back in the day....

Here's the thing Construc - Spinbad will impress a TECHNICAL DJ (like you and me) all day, erry day....we would not get tired of listening to him...

However, he WAS a master of the Multitrack, so a lot of times it would be difficult to add him into the same roster of cats who were/are using ORIGINAL breaks and / or vinyl...

Not saying he couldn't, but there's lots of vids of AM and / or Z-Trip using it.

And I AM NOT an AM or Z-Trip fanboy by any stretch of the imagination....

I hadn't even HEARD of them until this forum, and still questioned AM's skill until I saw / heard his arsenal.

Still on the fence about Z-Trip tho.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:24 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

LMAO! Just HAD to throw that dig in there huh?

The thing with Spinbad though, is that there is a LOT of PREPLANNED stuff, so it's a question of whether or not it's "accepted" as being a mix he's practiced for hours beforehand, and are just pressing buttons afterwards, (and YES he's pressing mad cue points on the one), of if you can chalk it up to just being a DOPE DJ.

As a matter of fact, Spinbad was on here complaining that a version of ScratchLive was now not as responsive to him hitting cue points on the fly as it once was, and his mixes were off.

Some type of latency issue, but it did show how much he relied on hitting cues...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:25 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Damn, did nobody listen to him when he was on Ny's Power 105 or CT's Power 104? I remember the first time I heard him on the radio doing ridiculous scratch combos and super tight blends, literally light years beyond what other radio DJ's could do

Yep...

But he also had 2 JOBS HERE IN NY on 2 different stations....It was CRAZY.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:35 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
DJ AM was the best DJ of all time live, there shouldn't be any doubt about that and all great DJ's agree on this.

You CAN'T be serious...Jazzy Jeff is the ALL TIME BEST DJ on earth...

If you don't believe it, watch this VID where DJ AM pays HOMAGE to the best ever...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Don't get it twisted...

Quote:
He wasn't even close to being a great turntablist, but he was the best DJ who ever rocked crowds, without any doubt.

Now you're talking TWO DIFFERENT THINGS....and you're venturing into Kid Capri Territory.

But again I stand by my statement that Jazzy Jeff strikes the PERFECT balance between Turntablist and Crowd Entertainer....

However THAT particular performance is what I believe catapulted Jeff to another level as he was privy to the same crowd that AM was used to DJ'ing for...

Except NOW they saw a REAL technician on the steel. No disrespect to AM, but let's keep it real here....

Quote:

You can even SEE where AM couldn't HELP but "Air Scratch" Jazz's routine because he knew it by heart....

So what does THAT tell you?

DJ AM is the Almighty Great for a Demographic of White Guys who were new to the DJ game...Period...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:38 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Original Spinbad form Philly thread

serato.com

I don't know what happened to the original vid that I posted, but that man was RIDICULOUS....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:42 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

Oh, man....

Blashphemy...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:44 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

after hearing construc mix, i can see why he doesnt appreciate sloppiness. it is clear that you can practice what you preach, cuz that mix is tight, honestly much tighter than the majority of more well known djs in the open formant genre. AND HERE

Fixed....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:45 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Construc is the truth.

True story.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:11 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
DJ AM was the best DJ of all time live, there shouldn't be any doubt about that and all great DJ's agree on this.

You CAN'T be serious...Jazzy Jeff is the ALL TIME BEST DJ on earth.....

Nah son, CRAZE is the illest
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:12 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I said ON EARTH....
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:14 PM - 18 February, 2014
To back up my statement....heres an EXACT quote from DJ AM himself, via this forum, concerning spinbad...ironucally directed TO our own johnnym about the subject
Quote:

DJJOHNNYM - Spinbad is one of the ILLEST of ALL time to me. He made what is STiLL the greatest mix CD ever made. If you don't have it you are sleeping. And guess what? Its all 80s (Madonna is on it). Its so smartly done and creative it makes me want to quit and cry. It made my arm hairs stand up and it STILL does AND its MAD OLD. He is also one of the funniest dudes I ever known and does not get the shine he deserves. But WORD UP Johnny M. Spin is the illest! Also do NOT sleep on DJ Eli. EVERYTHING Eli makes is hot, and DJ Craze is still the greatest DJ who ever lived to me. I got to see/meet him the other

Dj-M.Bezzle 3:16 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I said ON EARTH....

Did the dude move to mars while i wasnt lookin? Lol
DJ Construc 3:17 PM - 18 February, 2014
I hate DJ Craze, he is the worse... I would never waste my time seeing him.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:18 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

How so?
DJ Construc 3:20 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

How so?

I hope you know I was joking, I thought you would have caught that seeing how my profile pic is me and him lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:29 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How so?

I hope you know I was joking, I thought you would have caught that seeing how my profile pic is me and him lol

Lol im on a phone so i cant see prof pics
DJ Construc 3:39 PM - 18 February, 2014
Oh makes sense, so to you it just looked like I was bashing Craze haha. Never that, he played at one of my residencies, I got to stand right next to him the whole time he played. I'm pretty sure he is better than Jazzy Jeff or AM live... he is just on whole different level. He played mostly trap which is cool I guess but it was more about how he played it, so much energy, the blazing fast 70 bpm double time cuts with both hands, the body tricks and juggles, he is really the full package when it comes to showmanship and musical/technical appeal. On top of that, he is a very likable dude. I was talking to him for awhile and he is not cocky or anything, very laid back and friendly.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:43 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Oh makes sense, so to you it just looked like I was bashing Craze haha. Never that, he played at one of my residencies, I got to stand right next to him the whole time he played. I'm pretty sure he is better than Jazzy Jeff or AM live... he is just on whole different level. He played mostly trap which is cool I guess but it was more about how he played it, so much energy, the blazing fast 70 bpm double time cuts with both hands, the body tricks and juggles, he is really the full package when it comes to showmanship and musical/technical appeal. On top of that, he is a very likable dude. I was talking to him for awhile and he is not cocky or anything, very laid back and friendly.

100!!! Ya thats what gives craze the edge to me, he pushes the boundrys on creativuty AND can rip an edm set just as raw as a hiphop set whereas jeff usually stays in his lane with hiphop and classics.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:48 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

Did the dude move to mars while i wasnt lookin? Lol

You didn't know?

But this
Quote:
and DJ Craze is still the greatest DJ who ever lived to me.

Right, until you saw this vid - Watchwww.youtube.com

At that point, he knew, we knew, the world knew....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:50 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
100!!! Ya thats what gives craze the edge to me, he pushes the boundrys on creativuty AND can rip an edm set just as raw as a hiphop set whereas jeff usually stays in his lane with hiphop and classics.

Ummm...

No disrespect, but Craze sounds the same with Drum and Bass / EDM etc...

Sounds like he's staying "In his lane" as well...

Jeff is still the Ultimate...

May not be the MOST TECHNICAL, but definitely the BEST at what he does....
DJ Construc 3:56 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The thing with Spinbad though, is that there is a LOT of PREPLANNED stuff, so it's a question of whether or not it's "accepted" as being a mix he's practiced for hours beforehand, and are just pressing buttons afterwards, (and YES he's pressing mad cue points on the one), of if you can chalk it up to just being a DOPE DJ.

As a matter of fact, Spinbad was on here complaining that a version of ScratchLive was now not as responsive to him hitting cue points on the fly as it once was, and his mixes were off.

Some type of latency issue, but it did show how much he relied on hitting cues...

That's just his style, you should know this! Sure there are tracks that he plays a lot and accapella's you'll hear him use often like " nothing but a g thang" or loops he likes to use a lot like "Sucker Mc's" but I don't think that set or any other of his sets are planned to a T or practiced for hours. If you hear his other live mixes, his sets are similar in that he uses a lot of the same tracks but they are never in the same order or mixed the same.
DJ Construc 3:58 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yep...

But he also had 2 JOBS HERE IN NY on 2 different stations....It was CRAZY.

Yup, I used to listen to those "mini mixes" on z100
DJ Construc 4:03 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Ummm...

No disrespect, but Craze sounds the same with Drum and Bass / EDM etc...

Sounds like he's staying "In his lane" as well...

Jeff is still the Ultimate...

May not be the MOST TECHNICAL, but definitely the BEST at what he does....

I respect Jazzy Jeff to fullest for all the doors he opened and the impact he had on the DJ world but for me honestly, I think his sets now are just "alright". They def don't suck but they never impress me much.
DJ Construc 4:10 PM - 18 February, 2014
I guess it all comes down to what you like, I am a Spinbad fan boy I admit lol. That's because I like clean mixes, I love acapella blends and cuts are always a sweet bonus and spin does all these things pretty damn good whether it be on his live sets or his multli tracked megamix masterpieces. Plus where I grew up in shitty western Ma, the only hip hop station I got was Hot 93.7 and those DJ's were alright but when Power 104.1 came on the air waves and I heard Spinbad for the first time, it really opened my eyes and I never looked at spinning the same way again, ever since that day he has been my favorite DJ and my biggest influence
DJ Remy USA 4:13 PM - 18 February, 2014
DJ AM is the best DJ in the world Contruc your smoking....lol

All jokes aside Im not going to lie if it were not for me listening to DJ AM I would have never tried the open format style. I know he did not pioneer it but at that time I was really getting tired of rap music and latin music so I wanted to do something different. Someone put me on to DJ AM and the rest was history.

After discovering AM, thats when I heard about Ztrip, Spinbad, Cosmo, and all the other open format esque-type DJs.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:15 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

Im pretty sure theres a few people better than him by this point lol jk
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:15 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

All jokes aside Im not going to lie if it were not for me listening to DJ AM I would have never tried the open format style. I know he did not pioneer it but at that time I was really getting tired of rap music and latin music so I wanted to do something different. Someone put me on to DJ AM and the rest was history.

After discovering AM, thats when I heard about Ztrip, Spinbad, Cosmo, and all the other open format esque-type DJs.
+1 on the rest
DJ Construc 4:16 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

Nope, Straight edge here lol.
DJ Construc 4:21 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

All jokes aside Im not going to lie if it were not for me listening to DJ AM I would have never tried the open format style.
DJ Construc 4:22 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
All jokes aside Im not going to lie if it were not for me listening to DJ AM I would have never tried the open format style.

If it weren't for Spinbad, AM wouldn't have tried it either haha
auttomattik 5:16 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's the easiest call in all of DJing, nobody touches Craze. G.O.A.T.
auttomattik 5:19 PM - 18 February, 2014
Yo Construc, no doubt Spin is one of the dopest to do it, and most slept on cats out. He is crazy on the cuts, but as far as the crabbing and flaring mad early, there were a lot of dudes on the East Coast getting down, Rob Swift was one. Also, Spin and Rev have been down forever, so they borrowed a lot of technique from each other. Those 2 motherfuckers could chirp all day back and forth. Also, Revolution is originally from shitty Western Mass, Haha! He got the fuck out doe. He use to DJ dances when I was in junior high, no shit. I think Rev's mixes are mad slept on. His ABC's of Breaks series is crazy.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:07 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's just his style, you should know this! Sure there are tracks that he plays a lot and accapella's you'll hear him use often like " nothing but a g thang" or loops he likes to use a lot like "Sucker Mc's" but I don't think that set or any other of his sets are planned to a T or practiced for hours. If you hear his other live mixes, his sets are similar in that he uses a lot of the same tracks but they are never in the same order or mixed the same.

I dunno about that, I'd say they're interchangeable...

However, I do believe there is a "Right" way to do a mix, even though they may still technically mix when changing the order, I woudn't necessary classify that as it being "Right", as the original, but just different. But that's just me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:12 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
I respect Jazzy Jeff to fullest for all the doors he opened and the impact he had on the DJ world but for me honestly, I think his sets now are just "alright". They def don't suck but they never impress me much.

That's because you're still HOT in the game, and looking to get better.

He doesn't NEED to get better.

The best way for me to sum it up is like this.

Someone once asked Doug E. Fresh relatively recently if he's gonna come out with some "New Material".

His response was "For What"?

His CLASSICS are what the people come to see him for.

The hits from his Album "Oh My God" are TIMELESS.

Him trying to create another "Classic" is not going to have the impact that his previous classics would because we're in a different time....

That's what people come to see...

The Original Doug E. Fresh.

Same with Jazzy Jeff, but you're looking at it from a "Learning" DJ's perspective....

I don't think Jeff could "Technically" teach you anything else, except Humility, but you're young, that will come in time....lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:13 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
I guess it all comes down to what you like, I am a Spinbad fan boy I admit lol. That's because I like clean mixes, I love acapella blends and cuts are always a sweet bonus and spin does all these things pretty damn good whether it be on his live sets or his multli tracked megamix masterpieces. Plus where I grew up in shitty western Ma, the only hip hop station I got was Hot 93.7 and those DJ's were alright but when Power 104.1 came on the air waves and I heard Spinbad for the first time, it really opened my eyes and I never looked at spinning the same way again, ever since that day he has been my favorite DJ and my biggest influence

And there you go...

My biggest influences were Flash, Cheese, Jeff and Scratch...

Depends on your "DJ" upbringing.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:15 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That's because you're still HOT in the game, and looking to get better.

He doesn't NEED to get better.

The best way for me to sum it up is like this.

Someone once asked Doug E. Fresh relatively recently if he's gonna come out with some "New Material".

His response was "For What"?

His CLASSICS are what the people come to see him for.

The hits from his Album "Oh My God" are TIMELESS.

Him trying to create another "Classic" is not going to have the impact that his previous classics would because we're in a different time....

That's what

Its weird you said that, everlast just said the same thing about kool mo dee, his music represents a period in time why bother makin new shit
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:15 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
DJ AM Jazzy Jeff is the best DJ in the world Contruc your smoking....lol

Fixed...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:15 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

And there you go...

My biggest influences were Flash, Chucky Cheese, Tom and Jerry...

Depends on your "DJ" upbringing.

ME TO!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:15 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If it weren't for Spinbad, AM wouldn't have tried it either haha

Well, there it is.....
Mr. Goodkat 6:16 PM - 18 February, 2014
yeah, i was wondering when people were gonna bring up craze. in that open format of o7, he did a really good set for me(when i was promoting a lot of shows). he played hip hop, edm, pop, classics(dance and otherwise) new, old. it was in that era when he didnt play any DNB which was a cherry on top. :D
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:17 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's the easiest call in all of DJing, nobody touches Craze. G.O.A.T.

The Magnificent DJ Jazzy Jeff is the alltime baddest DJ on the planet.

Y'all smokin.
Mr. Goodkat 6:19 PM - 18 February, 2014
craze, 3 time DMC champ, id go with him over jeff. not by much, but he can go.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:22 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
yeah, i was wondering when people were gonna bring up craze. in that open format of o7, he did a really good set for me(when i was promoting a lot of shows). he played hip hop, edm, pop, classics(dance and otherwise) new, old. it was in that era when he didnt play any DNB which was a cherry on top. :D

THIS!! Dude was a DMC champ, jeff wasn't, and dude plays a MUCH more open format set.

Now when it comes to plain the classic, hiphop, and takin you back to the essence, none does it better than jeff. But when it comes to straight skill\performance and evolving Craze hands down.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:40 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
jeff wasn't,

See?

Now THIS is when muhfuggah startt MAKIN' UP *ISH..

www.djjazzyjeff.com

Quote:
DJ “Jazzy Jeff” Townes was born in West Philadelphia and developed a love of music at an early age. Jeff was just 10 years old when he started spinning records at parties using his family’s basement as a training ground for his expert mixing. Since 1985, DJ Jazzy Jeff has wowed us with his flawless turntable skills, innovative production and musical versatility. From the success of “DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince” with partner Will Smith, to the critical acclaim of his production company “A Touch of Jazz”, Jeff proved time and time again that he would always be a force to be reckoned with. And he continues to represent with his solo projects, collaborations, mixtapes and live shows. His love of music shines through in everything he does. Over the course of his career, DJ Jazzy Jeff has achieved many accomplishments including a DMC Championship and multiple GRAMMY and American Music Awards and nominations. But he is a humble man who is still doing it as his 2002 hit said: “For Da Love of Da Game.”

Cats be MAKIN' UP *ISH!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:54 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
jeff wasn't,

See?

Now THIS is when muhfuggah startt MAKIN' UP *ISH..

www.djjazzyjeff.com

Quote:
DJ “Jazzy Jeff” Townes was born in West Philadelphia and developed a love of music at an early age. Jeff was just 10 years old when he started spinning records at parties using his family’s basement as a training ground for his expert mixing. Since 1985, DJ Jazzy Jeff has wowed us with his flawless turntable skills, innovative production and musical versatility. From the success of “DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince” with partner Will Smith, to the critical acclaim of his production company “A Touch of Jazz”, Jeff proved time and time again that he would always be a force to be reckoned with. And he continues to represent with his solo projects, collaborations, mixtapes and live shows. His love of music shines through in everything he does. Over the course of his career, DJ Jazzy Jeff has achieved many accomplishments including a DMC Championship and multiple GRAMMY and American Music Awards and nominations. But he is a humble man who is still doing it as his 2002 hit said: “For Da Love of Da Game.”

Cats be MAKIN' UP *ISH!

I don't see him on the list www.dmcdjchamps.com

I do see "also won the world DJ championship in the 1986 New Music Seminar DJ Battle."
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:58 PM - 18 February, 2014
smh..

www.nowtoronto.com

There’s a reason why Will Smith took second billing in DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince before he was a big-deal screen celeb and prior to his television sitcom days as The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air.

The Phildelphia hiphop duo’s real talent was scratch specialist Jazzy Jeff Townes on the wheels of steel. Not merely a party-rocking selector, Jazzy Jeff is a serious turntablist who destroyed all the competition at the New Music Seminar’s 1986 DJ Battle For World Supremacy.

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince’s smash hit Parents Just Don’t Understand put Smith on track for a lucrative television career, but the Hollywood lifestyle held no fascination for Townes, who decided to stay in Philly and concentrate on music.

While Smith moved upward and onward into feature films, Townes founded his Touch of Jazz production company and worked in the background to nurture the development of Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild and rising star Glenn Lewis.

Jazzy Jeff’s just-completed recording for the UK BBE label’s excellent Beat Generation series -- due for release in July, preceded by the Magnificent EP in May -- should put him back in the spotlight, but the quintessential team player is always willing to share.

"Actually, it was hearing what people like Jay-Dee, Pete Rock and Marley Marl had done and then Will.i.am coming with some across-the-board stuff that made me try to do something that represented all that I do," clarifies Townes from his Philly studio.

"So there’s a little bit of everything from jazz instrumentals to some soulful stuff with Jill Scott putting a Philly spin on Roy Ayers’s We Live In Brooklyn Baby, then closing with an ensemble scratch track involving J-Live and 15 of the dopest DJs in the world as an homage to turntablism."

Hopefully, Jazzy Jeff will bring a couple of dub plates from the project to drop during his highly anticipated Uproc set tonight, which he’s now planning. Don’t count on hearing any current chart hits.

"Mostly, I like to go with classic old-school hiphop and new underground stuff that isn’t getting played on the radio. It should be a DJ’s job to play the things people haven’t heard and get you open on some different things -- whether it’s music from the past or something brand new.

"I love playing in Toronto because there’s a real appreciation for hiphop music and the culture. To me, the purest hiphop being made right now is coming out of Canada from guys like Saukrates, Choclair, Kardinal Offishall. They’ve got rhyme skills and really dope beats. I’m such a huge fan of what they’re doing, man -- they don’t even know!"
dj_soo 8:05 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

It's funny, I heard of all those guys long before AM. In fact I had no idea AM even existed until I came on these boards.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:08 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It's funny, I heard of all those guys long before AM. In fact I had no idea AM even existed until I came on these boards.

I knew who Ztrip and spinbad were before AM....im still not surevwho cosmo is
DJ Remy USA 8:53 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

cut me a break I have not been a DJ as long as some of you. I had no DJ idols besides Jeff, Qbert and Roc Raider. Those are the names I heard of before even becoming a DJ so naturally those were who I looked at. Then I got put on to AM and then I found out about all these other dope DJs as well. Even some dope female DJs which if I had it my way I would wife (Tyra, Annylze, Shortee, Killa Jewel, Royelle) thats another topic.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:58 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

cut me a break I have not been a DJ as long as some of you. I had no DJ idols besides Jeff, Qbert and Roc Raider. Those are the names I heard of before even becoming a DJ so naturally those were who I looked at. Then I got put on to AM and then I found out about all these other dope DJs as well. Even some dope female DJs which if I had it my way I would wife (Tyra, Annylze, Shortee, Killa Jewel, Royelle) thats another topic.

Lol the only reason I had heard of ztrip was from a friend who went to a concert, saw hum, and came back swearing it was me spinnin. He though we looked alike lol
auttomattik 4:08 AM - 19 February, 2014
I love Jeff, AM was good, but I got a long list of dudes topping them. And like I said before, Craze tops the list.