Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato 1.6

DBDJ 10:37 PM - 8 February, 2014
Sigh....where do I start?

TAP function:

Has this disappeared? The TAP function in Scratch Live always worked flawlessly. Didn't matter if you were in online or offline mode. It just worked. Unfortunately when I click on the TAP window in Serato DJ it opens up the beat grid editiing function which is great if you want to edit the beat grid.....but I just want to edit the fricken bpm speed! In Scratch Live you can begin tapping (I use a mouse) and the results are immediate and very accurate (provided you're not tapping like you're drunk). Serato DJ usually doesn't do anything. It just kinda sits there and then seems to throw any old number in the bpm window and unlike Scratch Live, it doesn't give you the option to change or not change it before it saves it to the file.

Wave Display:

When Serato DJ first launched there was a full wave display beneath each track playing in the Large Wave display window in horizontal mode. This was confusing especially if you were coming from a Scratch Live environment where the full wave is displayed beneath the track details (Artist name, track name, bpm etc.) in horizontal mode . A few updates (and much griping from the community) later this was changed to the display version that's common to Scratch Live. Apparently keeping things uniform in the display isn't top priority in 1.6. Now we're back to the original display style and it blows chunks. You can't tell at a quick glance where the track position is on what deck because you mentally have to keep reminding yourself what track it is that you're actually looking at. It's small I know but a real pain in the ass when you're doing quick mixes and need that info in a logical spot.

Cue Point Names:

The naming of cue points was a no brainer and I'm surprised that it's taken this many versions to finally be included.

Quantized Cue Points:

Great idea but my beat grids have to be perfect otherwise it won't work right? So if Serato DJ decides that it can't analyze my beatgrids properly on some tracks I'm SOL unless I take the time to manually edit those beatgrids. So basically this new feature is a digital paperweight if the beat grids are off. I'm sure there's an ideal sweet spot that makes returning to that cue point perfect every time so why not just code the program so that it instantly will make your cue point as close to the wave part (kick, snare, whatever) that it needs to be? That way you wouldn't have to tie it to beatgrids. Might be a tad trickier to program beatless parts but I'm sure the clever programmers there could figure it out.

My main controller is a Vestax VCI 380. I also have a Vestax 300 MKII, an SL4 and 4 CDJ 800s. I'm crossing my fingers and road testing the SL4 and Serato DJ at a gig tonight. Bringing my 380 for back up.
Ragman 11:42 PM - 8 February, 2014
Agree with everything you posted. Some are a little niggles but important little niggles when doing a gig.
DBDJ 10:03 AM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:
Agree with everything you posted. Some are a little niggles but important little niggles when doing a gig.

Fair enough :) I had to update the Scratch Live driver before I could use my SL4 with Serato DJ. I already had the latest version of Scratch Live installed but the driver needed to be installed yet again by Serato DJ. Thank god the bar had wifi. A few hiccups later all was installed and it worked flawlessly.