DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

equipment that is a MUST for any mobile gig

the_black_one 11:48 PM - 5 February, 2014
After helping a bunch of people out i started to see a list of problems that were repeted offenders so i decided to make a list.

1) ground loop solution ..... DI box ( get rid of nasty hum)www.siglermusiconline.com

2) circuit tracker ..... lets you know what outlet belong to what breaker so you can split your gear to different breakers so you don't trip a breaker and be out of power at your gig. www.calibryze.com

3) check if your outlet is wired properly ..... use this .... www.musiciansfriend.com

4) get your self a power conditioner for all your rack gear. one like this one here ... it does not have to be this exact one. there are very expensive models out there, shop around www.google.com

5) make sure that your extension cords are rated at least 12 gauge and 15 amps. look around at home depot for them. they are more expensive but well worth the investment. make sure that the cord has a ground on it.

6)cable tester.... super useful and will help you get rid of headaches www.google.com

7) gaffer tape .... help you tape down any wires that may be a hazard ... www.google.com

8) make sure you have back up batteries for all the gear that you use that requires batteries. make sure to label the last time the battery was changed so you can keep track of potential problems.

9) cables and adapters .... can have enough but try to have doubles of every cable you own in case one fails you have one ready to go ...

this is just some of the issues that come to mind. im sure you guys will add to this list. im excluding computer related back ups because that deserves a hold different discussion.

NM NH NB
Rebelguy 12:03 AM - 6 February, 2014
Good suggestions.

I think you can get by with 14g wiring for most non sound related extension cords up to 50ft.

Also black extension cables should be a given. No orange or yellows.

As far as power conditioners, unless you are spending big bucks ($400 & up) most are just glorified surge protectors.
the_black_one 12:14 AM - 6 February, 2014
@rebel

thanx ...... yeah ... i just seen too many using walmart surge protectors for compressors eq's driveracks .... anything about that crap is an upgrade. i was also gonna add ... you they can buy one with a read out display for the volts, watts and amps ..... but most will not spend the money for such equipment

nm nh
DJDaveOtt 12:21 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:

^this
the_black_one 12:22 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

^this

that's for sure :)

nm nh nb
FunkyRob 1:21 AM - 6 February, 2014
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:13 PM - 6 February, 2014
I know this is a bush league question but whats a power conditioner do?
Joee 3:31 PM - 6 February, 2014
nice list
Papa Midnight 4:08 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
4) get your self a power conditioner for all your rack gear. one like this one here ... it does not have to be this exact one. there are very expensive models out there, shop around www.google.com

I've seen many Power Conditioners including that Furman you mentioned above and I have yet to determine how they're anything more than an over-glorified power strip.

You'll do much better with (at least) a 2U RackMount Battery Backup. Are they cheap? Not by a long shot. But if you're really serious about protecting your equipment, this is the better way to go.

www.amazon.com
DJ Dynamight 5:14 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
I've seen many Power Conditioners including that Furman you mentioned above and I have yet to determine how they're anything more than an over-glorified power strip.

You'll do much better with (at least) a 2U RackMount Battery Backup. Are they cheap? Not by a long shot. But if you're really serious about protecting your equipment, this is the better way to go.

www.amazon.com

Shipping Weight: 72 pounds

yikes...
the_black_one 6:26 PM - 6 February, 2014
also will like to add ..... if you see a plug that look like this .... www.wiringdoneright.com

in the US by code that means its a 20 amp outlet.

also ... make sure you are using cords that have a ground pin. if not you can run into issues and even hurt yourself

nm nh nb
Papa Midnight 6:56 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
also ... make sure you are using cords that have a ground pin. if not you can run into issues and even hurt yourself

Which reminds me:

This here is an unacceptable solution for places that do not have a properly grounded outlet.
en.wikipedia.org
the_black_one 7:01 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Which reminds me:

This here is an unacceptable solution for places that do not have a properly grounded outlet.
en.wikipedia.org

i don't know why they even sale that!! it should be banned!!!

nm nh nb
SELECT 7:35 PM - 6 February, 2014
The most important thing for my mobile gigs is this- rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com

I can't stress how important this is for mobile DJs.
the_black_one 9:02 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
The most important thing for my mobile gigs is this- rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com

great suggestion

nm nh nb
DJ DisGrace 9:26 PM - 6 February, 2014
Also be sure to get one of these:
www.ibuyofficesupply.ca
No one wants to see you adjustin' your junk while you mix
the_black_one 9:34 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
www.ibuyofficesupply.ca

have you seen this bad boys?
www.scrim-king.com

nm nh nb
latindj 9:37 PM - 6 February, 2014
MUST equipment....

how about some speakers and an audio source?

other essentials I bring:

backups (speaker, laptop or other means of playing music, mixer, etc.)
advil
water/liquor
piss or dump break tracks/mixes
mace/tazer/gun (usually not a problem during party but I know dj's have been attacked while breaking down and putting shit away)
a good attitude (because no matter what, customer satisfaction goes a long way in the referral business)
toilet paper
pen/paper (nothing worse than trying to mix while dumb bitch is in your ear making a request)
tools for emergency equipment repair as well as car repair (how many of you noobs even have a jack and spare tire in your car?)
latindj 9:40 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

www.ibuyofficesupply.ca

have you seen this bad boys?

www.scrim-king.com

nm nh nb

that looks like putting panty hose over your head as you rob someone... I've never had anyone complain about my speakers not being skirted. get in, set up quick, and get out. make money.
SELECT 10:02 PM - 6 February, 2014
Bringing your DJ equipment and sound is a given.

Its the other things that you encounter at venues that get in the way of setting up on time that most people need help with and advice. The first post of this thread is a good example.

Table cloths/skirts are usually provided at most venues, but not always. So it is great idea to have one because at my last gig I wasted about 20 min waiting for the caterers to find me one. That is time I could have used to set up my Dj setup.

The skrims are a good look, thats it. Its for looks. Looks are very important for certain events like Weddings for example. So wether or not I dress up my speaker poles depends on the event.
Mr. Goodkat 10:08 PM - 6 February, 2014
good list, didnt know all that electrical stuff existed.
ral 10:28 PM - 6 February, 2014
cable ties
www.amazon.com
Joee 11:11 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
cable ties
www.amazon.com

i love then things, the fasten on the the wire so you never lose them
Aden 1:57 AM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:

Hands down my favorite purchase in the last year. I feel foolish for waiting so long to buy one.

I also always bring a USB powered led light and a 4 way USB hub to power it and/or charge my phone.
SELECT 2:47 AM - 7 February, 2014
My other must have for mobile work……. The table top facade!!

So many reasons why this is a must for mobile work. The best tho, is that your setup looks clean and professional. Add an color custom LED lamp behind it your setup can look amazing.

Running late? You can set one on your table and work behind the scenes. Prop up your sound system and set the facade up. It looks like your completely setup. Work smart and take your time setting up.

The facade hides your mess, wires, equipment, accessories and drinks!. It also protects your equipment and keeps it safe. Think of it as your portable DJ booth.
DJ VEE 3:01 AM - 7 February, 2014
Nice list. I usually also bring a foldable table (6 ft), just in case the one provided looks like it will fall apart in case someone sneezes to hard. I carry a small tool bag just in case, it has come in handy so many times, but I will also carry a volt meter in it from now on just in case I run in to power issues, ( the tool bag is always in my vehicle anyway).
I bring tie wraps and Velcro straps to tidy up wiring that has to be exposed so it looks presentable. I leave the Velcro straps on the cables and stands. You can buy a roll for around $4 at Home Depot. It's not the heavy duty stuff, but more than adequate. If they get lost, (which they will), no biggie.
I generally also carry blue painters tape, (or some form of low tack tape). Ever have an outlet worn out so bad that your 12 gauge extension chord would not stay plugged in, or just ready to fall out? You can use the tape to hold in the extension chord in a pinch, and not cause damage to the paint or paper on the wall. I also did an event where it was the only acceptable tape to be used, ( the place was all carpet ).
BTW, item 3 on the list is a tester for GFCI outlets, it will test the trip on them. It will tell you if a GFCI, or non GFCI is wired properly, but is twice the money. You can get a regular tester for cheaper. I don't think we would want to run our stuff through a GFCI circuit, especially the PA. They are way too touchy and can have nuisance trips. Just my two cents on that one.
DJ Reflex 4:37 AM - 7 February, 2014
Got a new one for ya'll. I was at a venue last summer and they had these nifty little door stops:

www.firepenny.com

and

www.techtoolsupply.com

Bought a couple of them and keep them in my truck. Best little investment of the year! Nothing worse than trying to get heavy gear through a door way that won't stay open.
the_black_one 4:39 AM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
Got a new one for ya'll. I was at a venue last summer and they had these nifty little door stops:

www.firepenny.com

and

www.techtoolsupply.com

Bought a couple of them and keep them in my truck. Best little investment of the year! Nothing worse than trying to get heavy gear through a door way that won't stay open.

nice find

nm nh nb
DJ Reflex 4:39 AM - 7 February, 2014
^^ good thread ^^
Logisticalstyles 12:53 PM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
My other must have for mobile work……. The table top facade!!

So many reasons why this is a must for mobile work. The best tho, is that your setup looks clean and professional. Add an color custom LED lamp behind it your setup can look amazing.

Running late? You can set one on your table and work behind the scenes. Prop up your sound system and set the facade up. It looks like your completely setup. Work smart and take your time setting up.

The facade hides your mess, wires, equipment, accessories and drinks!. It also protects your equipment and keeps it safe. Think of it as your portable DJ booth.

All of the ones I've come across are too high and they block the view of my turntables. I might make my own that's not too high.
SELECT 2:39 PM - 7 February, 2014
The tabletop facade I got years ago sits a bit high, but it looks great at Weddings. Watchwww.youtube.com

This one my buddy got is really nice and sits much lower. I highly recommend this one. I'm picking it up soon.
www.fullcompass.com
Taipanic 3:50 PM - 7 February, 2014
For extension cords I recommend triple outlet lighted cords like these:
www.ebay.com

The lighted cords save a lot of trouble is isolating power issues before and during a gig.

I also carry a bag with extra batteries, flashlight, mini screwdrivers, Tylenol/Ibuprofen, USB Lights, extra microphone, assorted cable adapters, roll of Velcro wire ties, Gaffer's tape, deodorant, cologne, in ear headphones, DI box, 3 mic add on mixer box, extra C13 power cables, pen/paper, IPod.

Though not pro quality at all, these storage boxes have the look and work good if you take care of them:
www.officedepot.com

If doing outside gigs I always have plastic tarps and bungees close in case of rain.
SELECT 4:09 PM - 7 February, 2014
Here is one of my favorite extension cords. Its 15 feet and at the end it has six outlets. So you go from the wall to above or below your table. www.amazon.com
ral 4:50 PM - 7 February, 2014
store your speakers to something like this - home depot/lowes got similar product

www.google.com
DJ Reflex 3:39 AM - 8 February, 2014
Quote:
If doing outside gigs I always have plastic tarps and bungees close in case of rain.

TRUE! Been caught in the rain a few times. Once is too many!
DJ VEE 2:24 PM - 8 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

TRUE! Been caught in the rain a few times. Once is too many!

Yup. If they have a tent, I insist on being able to set up my stuff in a corner, and that they have the side flaps installed. That way, the equipment is protected from the rain being driven sideways in high winds.
I got caught in a surprise summer storm once. I was under a tent, but the side flaps were not installed. I managed to cover my equipment , but that rain was being blown in almost horizontal. I was having mild heart attacks the whole time.
If I can't be in the main tent, I ask for a smaller tent set up separate. I now have one of those collapsible tents ( 10 ft x 10 ft ) with sides. If it's not provided, I will bring mine.
Either way, I will let the client know that an outdoor gig, will have a tent, whether they provide it, or I provide one.
It's not just the rain, but also the sun. I will not just go by the weather report.
As Reflex said, once is too many. LOL!
DJ VEE 2:26 PM - 8 February, 2014
Quote:

www.firepenny.com

and

www.techtoolsupply.com

Nice find. Absolutely understand that pain.
the_black_one 9:27 PM - 14 February, 2014
i picked up this here a few weeks back .... and it has been a great solution for a dj table that looks good and is not cheesy and it covers up my wires and looks good ... folds away nicely

www.fullcompass.com

nm nh
dj_ys 5:06 AM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
i picked up this here a few weeks back .... and it has been a great solution for a dj table that looks good and is not cheesy and it covers up my wires and looks good ... folds away nicely

www.fullcompass.com

nm nh

been checking one out. Is it big enough to fit turntables on top (battle style)?
the_black_one 5:36 AM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

www.fullcompass.com

nm nh

been checking one out. Is it big enough to fit turntables on top (battle style)?

yes ... i just finished drilling a hole on the top so i can run all my cables to the bottom. looks really clean!!! will take pics tomorrow

nm nh
DJ VEE 5:20 PM - 16 February, 2014
I've also started carrying shims with my equipment. Home Depot has plastic, synthetic ones that are black, so they blend in nicely with the table cover and the crates. This way, I can level out the TT's, or eliminate any wobbles from the table imperfections. It makes things a little more sturdy.
DjWoody 5:39 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:

7) gaffer tape .... help you tape down any wires that may be a hazard ... www.google.com

This one is a biggie for me and I always forget it. lol Many venues ask me to tape the cables neatly along the bottom of the wall so that people won't trip. Sometimes, if cables run through a door or a walkway, they'll ask you to tape them, put a floor mat over them, or put one of those plastic bump things.

Tape also comes in handy for organizing and tying cables quickly and neatly. But, I usually use velcro ties for that. They're cheap at Home Depot. It's like $5 for a roll of 50. They look like this.
cdn.recordinghacks.com
DJ DisGrace 6:47 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
if cables run through a door or a walkway

This is a lawyer's wet dream, tape or not. Always run OVER any doorways. The venue will quickly dismiss any half-assed recommendations they made when someone decides to sue YOU for tripping.
DJ Reflex 9:24 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
if cables run through a door or a walkway

This is a lawyer's wet dream, tape or not. Always run OVER any doorways. The venue will quickly dismiss any half-assed recommendations they made when someone decides to sue YOU for tripping.

I hear that, but then you get screwed when the paint gets ripped off the wall when you pull the tape too! The venue even gave me the tape. Still my fault. :(
the_black_one 7:19 AM - 24 February, 2014
Tonight i needed canned air ... so imma add it to the list ....

nm nh
DJ VEE 11:08 AM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:
Tonight i needed canned air ... so imma add it to the list ....

nm nh

Good idea.
Also, I was going through my "misc" bag last night for preparation for a gig this coming weekend. I found a must that I carry at outdoor gigs in the summer time. A can of mosquito spray.
DJ Jonasty 11:50 AM - 24 February, 2014
1. Gaffer tape
2. Comfortable shoes
3. Snacks
4. Energy drink/flask
5. Flashlight
6. Bathroom break mixes
7. Mints or gum
8. Business cards
9. Good attitude
10. Ibuprofen
 6 2:46 PM - 24 February, 2014
lol @ 9

nm
DJ VEE 9:10 PM - 24 February, 2014
+1 @ 4,6 &7
R-Tistic 9:20 PM - 24 February, 2014
An Aux to RCA cable
SELECT 9:50 PM - 24 February, 2014
Reliable GPS unit in car or phone. Getting lost in the worst.
the_black_one 10:48 PM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:
An Aux to RCA cable

make that 2 ... gotta have a back up?

:)

nm nh

Quote:
Reliable GPS unit in car or phone. Getting lost in the worst.

you would think is a given but it's not.... good looking out

nm nh
DJ Reflex 3:03 AM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
An Aux to RCA cable

I use powered speakers, so I made a 1/8 headphone jack to XLR mono cable. (Got the schematic from here:www.rane.com ) Came in handy several times! I can hook iPhone directly up to speakers without mixer if needed. Ultimate backup music.
DJ Reflex 3:04 AM - 25 February, 2014
Also, can of Static Guard. I hate it when my pants stick to me like plastic wrap!
DJ DisGrace 3:17 AM - 25 February, 2014
I agree that some of this stuff is a MUST, but alot of it is superfluous, at best.

Your gig bags be like: premisepunchtag.files.wordpress.com
the_black_one 5:33 AM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
I agree that some of this stuff is a MUST, but alot of it is superfluous, at best.

That bag X 2... Back up for the back up

Nm nh
DJ VEE 12:57 PM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That bag X 2... Back up for the back up

Nm nh

Yup. The old "belt and suspenders" theory.
Lol!
DJ GaFFle 4:22 PM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:

He's got a Yorkville LS801P back there. (nm)
Joee 4:24 PM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:

lmao
the_black_one 4:38 PM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

bawahahahahah!!!!

nm nh
DJ DisGrace 7:50 PM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

that's a MUST have for backup in case pdidy is setup in the ballroom nextdoor
Jim Davis Productions 8:43 PM - 10 March, 2016
Sorry to dig up a 2-year old thread, but this seems like a relevant question...

But does anyone have recommendations for a cable organizer bag for XLR's, extension cords, etc? The only one I can find is this, and it just seems overpriced--and no Prime Shipping so the total cost is almost $90! I'd think there's something out there for more like $40...

www.amazon.com
Gio Alex 10:04 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

But does anyone have recommendations for a cable organizer bag for XLR's, extension cords, etc? The only one I can find is this, and it just seems overpriced--and no Prime Shipping so the total cost is almost $90! I'd think there's something out there for more like $40...

www.amazon.com

NICE!!!
Taipanic 7:21 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.amazon.com

NICE!!!

LOL, I just bought the smaller version, $76 shipped. Will definitely make my smaller gigs easier.
Jim Davis Productions 8:15 PM - 11 March, 2016
I guess I'm just being a cheap ass, haha. I guess I'll bite the bullet and spend the money.
O.B.1 8:17 PM - 11 March, 2016
This slightly smaller version may work well as a cable bag with several compartments.
At 29.99 not bad: www.ebay.com
Jim Davis Productions 8:28 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
This slightly smaller version may work well as a cable bag with several compartments.
At 29.99 not bad: www.ebay.com

I was considering getting a par bag like that... I have a couple of other Chauvet bags for my Mini Kinta IRC fixtures, and I'm not overly impressed with the thickness/quality of the bag itself. I'm not sure it would hold up very well to lots of cables packed in densely.
Beatlogik 11:51 PM - 14 March, 2016
I use a few old Odyssey vinyl flight cases to haul my cables. Try and organize the differnet types by color to make things visually easier. Now that I'm not hauling vinyl around to every gig they still serve a purpose!
pdidy 2:40 AM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:
I'm not overly impressed with the thickness/quality of the bag itself. I'm not sure it would hold up very well to lots of cables packed in densely.

For years ive been cheap, buying the cheap bags for my cables and power cords that never last more the 1- 4 gigs before they rip or zipper breaks.

I've finally accepted the fact that if I want "thickness/quality of the bag" that can take the beating I put on them and last at least a few years...... I need to PAY for it.

My current bag has the TOUGH thick quality I need which holds approx 80lbs of cable, xlr and power cords. Its tough enough to withstand the beating my roadies put on it when im not LOOKING ;) Its already lasted 3X longer than any of my cheap $40-50 bags and its still in perfect condition considering the abuse it takes.

I carry a lot of gear and speakers so I require a BIG heavy duty bag www.amazon.com

I the past I was using bags of this quality www.amazon.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:34 AM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not overly impressed with the thickness/quality of the bag itself. I'm not sure it would hold up very well to lots of cables packed in densely.

For years ive been cheap, buying the cheap bags for my cables and power cords that never last more the 1- 4 gigs before they rip or zipper breaks.

I've finally accepted the fact that if I want "thickness/quality of the bag" that can take the beating I put on them and last at least a few years...... I need to PAY for it.

My current bag has the TOUGH thick quality I need which holds approx 80lbs of cable, xlr and power cords. Its tough enough to withstand the beating my roadies put on it when im not LOOKING ;) Its already lasted 3X longer than any of my cheap $40-50 bags and its still in perfect condition considering the abuse it takes.

I carry a lot of gear and speakers so I require a BIG heavy duty bag www.amazon.com

I the past I was using bags of this quality www.amazon.com

I have been using an expandable rolling suitcase. It works fine.
pdidy 4:41 AM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:

what quality ? you have a link too it ? Im always looking for an inexpensive substitute of equal quality.
Logisticalstyles 12:27 PM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:

That's a very nice bag.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:44 PM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

what quality ? you have a link too it ? Im always looking for an inexpensive substitute of equal quality.

I have a Samsonite set very similar to this. A 21", 26", & 30". You can go check in a Marshalls or Burlington Coat Factory. They have tons of them very cheap.

I switch up depending on how much cable I need. I can fit laptop & stand inside as well.

I also have a large Eddie Bauer Rolling duffel as well.
djransom 8:28 PM - 15 March, 2016
Ebay has it for $75 shipped www.ebay.com
RonDu 1:40 PM - 16 March, 2016
Damn. I'm stilling using milk crates. LOL
pdidy 1:51 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a Samsonite set very similar to this. A 21", 26", & 30". You can go check in a Marshalls or Burlington Coat Factory. They have tons of them very cheap.

I switch up depending on how much cable I need. I can fit laptop & stand inside as well.

thanks, But how do I figure out which ones you own/use ?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:00 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thanks, But how do I figure out which ones you own/use ?

I looked for my model but could not find it because it is older. This is pretty close. There is a zipper that expands the top to make more room as well. www1.bloomingdales.com
DJ Dynamight 2:23 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Damn. I'm stilling using milk crates. LOL

Ha...I was too until my boy complained about carrying crates so I got this toolbox instead www.homedepot.com
Jim Davis Productions 5:07 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:

Ha...I was too until my boy complained about carrying crates so I got this toolbox instead www.homedepot.com

Oooh that's not a bad idea. I'm going to have to stop at Home depot to check it out.

The only downside is I'm cramming everything into a Nissan Murano (smaller inside than you'd think) and the duffles are stuff-able.
pdidy 6:11 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Oooh that's not a bad idea. I'm going to have to stop at Home depot to check it out.

The only downside is I'm cramming everything into a Nissan Murano (smaller inside than you'd think) and the duffles are stuff-able.

Exactly, hard cases do not stuff into unusual spaces.
Scully DJ Services 7:38 PM - 16 March, 2016
For people who have room, check out the big Sterilite plastic trunks. You can buy them at Walmart/Target, and theyre like $20. I use one and I can fit loads of cables along with all of my chinese LED pucks, laptop stand, etc. It looks nice and has held up well. The built in handles on either side make it very easy to pick up even by yourself.
djransom 7:44 PM - 16 March, 2016
www.homedepot.com

Nice, but takes up more space than I would like. Good price point too.
DJ Reflex 10:03 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
For people who have room, check out the big Sterilite plastic trunks. You can buy them at Walmart/Target, and theyre like $20. I use one and I can fit loads of cables along with all of my chinese LED pucks, laptop stand, etc. It looks nice and has held up well. The built in handles on either side make it very easy to pick up even by yourself.

Yup - I own about 13 of them! All full of gear!