DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato 1.6 ( Is it Here )

DJSP1KE 11:12 PM - 3 February, 2014
Has it Just Been released or is it just Me ?
ekalb 11:15 PM - 3 February, 2014
I'M LOOKING TOO
DJSP1KE 11:17 PM - 3 February, 2014
Yea its here alright :)
Dj Mcwhite 11:31 PM - 3 February, 2014
Wanting to know if its stable yet? Thinking about making the jump from traktor, would be a bitch to start over on cue points.
Serato, Support
Mak T 11:38 PM - 3 February, 2014
HERE IT IS GUYS!

serato.com

HAVE FUN!!
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:44 PM - 3 February, 2014
Maybe by 2.0 is will have all the features that SSL has
dj jamalot 11:47 PM - 3 February, 2014
Cool no more Beta... looking forward to the new features.
dj_soo 12:18 AM - 4 February, 2014
crashes as soon as I launch.

awesome.
DJ GaFFle 12:29 AM - 4 February, 2014
I own a Numark NS6... Why is it making me register and pay for it? Version 1.5.2 didn't...

(nm/nj)

nj = no jokes
 6 12:30 AM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:

awesome.

oh snap!

nm
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:39 AM - 4 February, 2014
Another rushed release to accommodate new controllers it seems
the_black_one 1:17 AM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:

awesome.

dj so bad????? LOL

nm nh nb
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:36 AM - 4 February, 2014
Been running for 2 hours with an SL3 and not even a glitch.......... still bullshit they haven't given us the midi panel or pad effects such as loops rolls. I'll run video later and see how it goes........
Ollieboy 2:37 AM - 4 February, 2014
Yeah I got issues with it. I'm using a Rane 62 Track starts to play at the end when I load it and the cue points aren't responding.

I'm curious to know which cue points it's reading. The ones I set on Scratch Live w/ the Rane 62 or the ones I set on SDJ 1.5 using the VCI-380?
eugguy 4:33 AM - 4 February, 2014
Screw SDJ! Long live SSL!!!
dj_soo 4:39 AM - 4 February, 2014
figured it out (sorta).

Had to rebuild my _Serato_ folder from scratch and then moved the crate folders over.

Lost all my played info and color coding info tho...fortunately, I do the color coding via itunes so I still have that info saved in crates.
dj_soo 4:48 AM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Yeah I got issues with it. I'm using a Rane 62 Track starts to play at the end when I load it and the cue points aren't responding.

I'm curious to know which cue points it's reading. The ones I set on Scratch Live w/ the Rane 62 or the ones I set on SDJ 1.5 using the VCI-380?

have you updated your firmware? Apparently that's supposed to fix some issues with losing midi. The workaround is apparently switching the usb input to the opposite side and then switching back
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:22 AM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

have you updated your firmware? Apparently that's supposed to fix some issues with losing midi. The workaround is apparently switching the usb input to the opposite side and then switching back

+1 update firmware...

The last beta version lasted the whole weekend at live gigs with no problems.

been testing out the final release since it become available today..... No issues.
DJSP1KE 8:17 AM - 4 February, 2014
Downloaded but came late to uk so not had chance to test it yet , hows it been |Going for others so far tho?

Will be on it tonight for a few hours so will keep the thread updated
dj_soo 9:17 AM - 4 February, 2014
Practiced for about 3 hours tonight with no problems - working on a 62 and dicers. Couple of annoyances in the design, but no overt problems yet. Dunno if I have the guys to use it at my gig on Thursday, but if I go another 3-4 hours without a problem, I might go for it.

The difference with the pitch n time plugin is like night and day. Curious how it stack up to traktor's and the pioneer Cdjs...
Mr. Goodkat 9:19 AM - 4 February, 2014
worked fine for me with the srt 900. seemed very stable.

what i dont like

the key and bpm are the same size.
the panels for the virtual decks are too short.
no midi yet
the sync modes are still kind of confusing and it needs a reset for pitch if a controller gets out of line with the actual cdj/tt so you can zero out. (maybe there is a way to do it)

im getting the hang of SDJ. im starting to like it. its like a 6 to a SSL 8.5
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:20 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:

the sync modes are still kind of confusing and it needs a reset for pitch if a controller gets out

The off button for Auto Sync not doing it for you? You syncing in DVS or Internal?
ozfrombk 12:40 PM - 4 February, 2014
What latency setting are you guys able to go down to?

I can't go down to 1 ms bc it starts making all my tunes sound distorted which is weird bc on scratch live I was able to go down to 1ms no problem. I have the latest 13 inch macbook pro by the way. It is currently at 2 ms. Everything else has been working fine.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:53 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
What latency setting are you guys able to go down to?

I can't go down to 1 ms bc it starts making all my tunes sound distorted which is weird bc on scratch live I was able to go down to 1ms no problem. I have the latest 13 inch macbook pro by the way. It is currently at 2 ms. Everything else has been working fine.

Go to the hardware input settings..... "In Control Panel" I am using a Rane 62...

I had to set my "Control Panel" 62 Hardware settings at 3ms and then go back into the Serato DJ software to set that one at 1ms......

For some reason setting both hardware and software latency down to 1ms at the same time causes audio drop outs....

But that works for me. I can't notice a difference in lag from before.
nik39 1:16 PM - 4 February, 2014
Here are the recommendations from Serato and Rane (taken from serato.com <- click):

Quote:
NOTE: The "Buffer Size" in the audio control panel adjusts the buffer at a different part of the audio pipeline than the buffer in Serato DJ. Rane recommend that you have this set to 8ms or higher in the audio control panel and adjust the buffer size as per normal in the Serato setup screen.

(For Macs)
However, I think that the proper values to achieve a similar latency as with SL should be something around 5ms in the Rane driver panel, according to a posting from Rane

Quote:
Windows:
Total RT latency = CPL setting + Device buffers/converters
For Sixty-Two, CPL set at 8ms = 8 + 2.26 = 10.26 ms
For Sixty-Four, CPL set at 8ms = 8 + 3.09 = 11.09 ms

Mac:
Total RT latency = Application setting + CPL setting + Device buffers/converters
For Sixty-Two, Live Buffer size 96 samples, CPL set at 4ms = 96*2/48 + 4 + 2.26 = 10.26 ms
For Sixty-Four, Live Buffer size 96 samples, CPL set at 4ms = 96*2/48 + 4 + 3.09 = 11.09 ms

So to achieve 8ms (that equals to SL at buffer size of 1) on a Mac with a 62 you can have the Rane driver latency at 4 and the Serato DJ latency slider to 4.

Rane suggests in the public beta section:
Quote:
I suggest a control panel setting of 4ms, close the CPl, hotplug the mixer and adjust SDJ slider to lowest setting that gives you clean audio.

So if you are able to achieve clean audio with the Rane driver latency set to 4 and the Serato DJ latency slider set to 1 you can get a total latency of [4ms + 1ms + 2.26ms = 7.26ms] 7.26ms - that's lower than with SL ;)
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:19 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Here are the recommendations from Serato and Rane (taken from serato.com <- click):

Quote:
NOTE: The "Buffer Size" in the audio control panel adjusts the buffer at a different part of the audio pipeline than the buffer in Serato DJ. Rane recommend that you have this set to 8ms or higher in the audio control panel and adjust the buffer size as per normal in the Serato setup screen.

(For Macs)
However, I think that the proper values to achieve a similar latency as with SL should be something around 5ms in the Rane driver panel, according to a posting from Rane

Quote:
Windows:
Total RT latency = CPL setting + Device buffers/converters
For Sixty-Two, CPL set at 8ms = 8 + 2.26 = 10.26 ms
For Sixty-Four, CPL set at 8ms = 8 + 3.09 = 11.09 ms

Mac:
Total RT latency = Application setting + CPL setting + Device buffers/converters
For Sixty-Two, Live Buffer size 96 samples, CPL set at 4ms = 96*2/48 + 4 + 2.26 = 10.26 ms
For Sixty-Four, Live Buffer size 96 samples, CPL set at 4ms = 96*2/48 + 4 + 3.09 = 11.09 ms

So to achieve 8ms (that equals to SL at buffer size of 1) on a Mac with a 62 you can have the Rane driver latency at 4 and the Serato DJ latency slider to 4.

Rane suggests in the public beta section:
Quote:
I suggest a control panel setting of 4ms, close the CPl, hotplug the mixer and adjust SDJ slider to lowest setting that gives you clean audio.

So if you are able to achieve clean audio with the Rane driver latency set to 4 and the Serato DJ latency slider set to 1 you can get a total latency of [4ms + 1ms + 2.26ms = 7.26ms] 7.26ms - that's lower than with SL ;)

I am embarrassed that my Asian mind had to read and go through that entire paragraph of numbers 3 times before actually understanding everything...

lmao
dj_soo 1:27 PM - 4 February, 2014
asian here.

also suck at math.
XCAKID 1:38 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
asian here.

also suck at math.

Same here, but I do work in finance. Thank goodness I am good at MS Excel
nik39 1:51 PM - 4 February, 2014
The latency setting on a Mac is a bit... let's say unusual. Because you have two places to adjust the setting, this is confusing.

In a nutshell:

The total latency with SDJ on a Mac is determined by these three numbers:

SDJ buffer/latency slider +
Rane driver panel latency slider +
Device buffers/converters

There are some restrictions which you find out by trial an error: I was not able to get proper sound with lower values that 3ms on the Rane driver panel.

The best way to find out, whether the audio is fine is to load a simple sine wave and play it back, you should easily hear any clicks and pops. Here is a 100Hz sine wave, 60s

ssl-beta.help.bootlegs.de <- click
Joee 2:15 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
The latency setting on a Mac is a bit... let's say unusual. Because you have two places to adjust the setting, this is confusing.

In a nutshell:

The total latency with SDJ on a Mac is determined by these three numbers:

SDJ buffer/latency slider +
Rane driver panel latency slider +
Device buffers/converters

There are some restrictions which you find out by trial an error: I was not able to get proper sound with lower values that 3ms on the Rane driver panel.

The best way to find out, whether the audio is fine is to load a simple sine wave and play it back, you should easily hear any clicks and pops. Here is a 100Hz sine wave, 60s

ssl-beta.help.bootlegs.de <- click

is this just for mixers or does it apply to controllers also?
nik39 2:18 PM - 4 February, 2014
I think this is a special case for DVS hardware.
nik39 2:19 PM - 4 February, 2014
Oh, for finding the sweet spot for your latency setting this also works with your controllers of course.
ozfrombk 2:22 PM - 4 February, 2014
Alright thanks for the info guys. I have an sl3 and I will be configuring it when I get home from work. Not everyone can have a DJ setup at their office ha ha
Joee 2:27 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Oh, for finding the sweet spot for your latency setting this also works with your controllers of course.

thanks
Good3go85 4:58 PM - 4 February, 2014
MANUALS? I need a hard copy like the scratchlive manual that came with my SL3.
WarpNote 5:03 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:

Download here, and print out....
WarpNote 5:04 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Download here, and print out....

serato.com
DJSP1KE 9:02 PM - 4 February, 2014
Not impressed so far , first one I've bad to adjust the buffer on , 5ms is the only setting I run without glitches ,

Sp-6 changing banks causes crackling noise and effects level indicator also sticks , so it looks like the effect is still playing when it's stopped ,

Program froze up for a second , no music stop just like a glitch , run perfect with beta , so something's not right ,
Jeff Scott 9:54 PM - 4 February, 2014
Lack of midi panel is keeping me from ditching SL.

Let meeeee in the midi panel!!!