Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Scratch Live with Spotify support

baze 10:55 AM - 21 January, 2009
For the DJs playing at commercial pubs/discos etc. And the public have their special request. Make a quick search in the "Spotify" tab of serato, and drag-drop it to a player, after that play the song like it was on your own computer.
NB: For the Spotify support your computer must be connected to the internet.
If Serato-team can't find a way to make "my own spotify-folder" in serato.

Visit: www.spotify.com for info about the program.
crimzor 1:50 PM - 22 January, 2009
That would be awesome but Spotify probably wants to require a monthly subscription (premium account) since the DJ would not play the ads ;)

It would be worth a try to contact the Spotify team regarding a partnership since the protocol is closed.

As for now there is this solution (ugly and only working in Serato 1.9 beta for now):

Use Spotify with your built in sound card.
Connect your computers speaker output to any LiveFeed compatible input.
Use LiveFeed in Serato to play music from Spotify. Use the Spotify app to change song.
sweetL 2:23 PM - 22 January, 2009
Quote:
For the DJs playing at commercial pubs/discos etc. And the public have their special request. Make a quick search in the "Spotify" tab of serato, and drag-drop it to a player, after that play the song like it was on your own computer.
NB: For the Spotify support your computer must be connected to the internet.
If Serato-team can't find a way to make "my own spotify-folder" in serato.

Visit: www.spotify.com for info about the program.

I can see many problems with this... not only the fact that you cant actually play the songs outside of spotify.

For now, live feed is your solution.
baze 3:11 PM - 23 January, 2009
Quote:
That would be awesome but Spotify probably wants to require a monthly subscription (premium account) since the DJ would not play the ads ;)

It would be worth a try to contact the Spotify team regarding a partnership since the protocol is closed.

As for now there is this solution (ugly and only working in Serato 1.9 beta for now):

Use Spotify with your built in sound card.
Connect your computers speaker output to any LiveFeed compatible input.
Use LiveFeed in Serato to play music from Spotify. Use the Spotify app to change song.

Thats a sollution, but not "mixable".
And shure you need a subscription, €10/month. Thats probably less than you pay for your music today.
Yassa 12:08 PM - 21 June, 2010
I really want to see this happen! Internet connections are getting better all the time and more often now I use Spotify when someone requests a track that I don't have. But Ideally I would like to load it into serato for obvious reasons. I suppose the answer is to buy the track or album isn't it?
whereswallis 1:25 AM - 7 December, 2013
hey guys, any update on this?
this is the one big missing feature for me with Serato, or any DJ interface software at the moment. everything is moving to the cloud, and subscription model, but at the moment I am still having to pay for individual songs and keep them on my hard drive in order to pull them into Serato when I play live. Spotify integration would elevate this need to always go searching for downloads. The offline capability should allow Serato code to 'see' the playlist locally. Are there any developments with this? Thanks guys
DJ Mister Hustla 11:49 AM - 28 December, 2013
Not gonna happen b/c its illegal to play spotify publicly. Spotify is meant only for personal use.
Oli Griffiths 11:11 PM - 10 February, 2014
This "could" become a reality:

www.pacemaker.net

If they can do it...
Laz219 2:15 PM - 4 March, 2014
"I could not find a way to analyze my entire music collection for BPM, and the Spotify collection only gives you BPM after you load a track. You can access your Spotify or iTunes playlists, but you cannot create new ones. Your iTunes playlists are automatically sorted by song name, but I couldn’t find a way to resort them by BPM or artist which was… weird to say the least. Spotify search results couldn’t be sorted at all."

From DJWORX.
Oli Griffiths 4:08 PM - 4 March, 2014
@DJWORX - Regardless of what that app can/can't do, it shows that accessing spotify through a non-spotify app is possible. The CEO of pacemaker met the CEO of spotify and struck a deal, so it's likely to be more about that as opposed to what is technically possible, all those hurdles you mentioned can be overcome technically.
Oli Griffiths 4:09 PM - 4 March, 2014
Sorry, @Laz219
mr. hamburger 6:26 AM - 10 September, 2014
Check out DJay 2 by algoriddim for iPhone and ipad. They beat serato to the punch. I made a suggestion on another thread about getting those features on serato. The app works pretty well but I'm sure serato could take it to the next level.
&Midge 1:54 PM - 8 October, 2014
Live streaming audio files is a bad idea for too many reasons!!!!
Ibanez1998 3:15 PM - 15 July, 2015
I use DJay 2 by Algoriddim plugged directly into my mixing console on Channel 3. (I use a Pioneer DDJ-SX) When I get a request for something I don't have, it's usually on spotify and I can still beat match the song in, Mix and get in and out. It works for me, but I think having spotify integrated with Serato would be the best bet.
Ibanez1998 3:17 PM - 15 July, 2015
Oh, &Midge, Spotify really doesn't "live stream" It downloads locally and then you play it. I can see the entire audio stream in DJay2 so I know if the song completed before I play it. Once it's available, the internet connection doesn't matter because spotify allows the file to be downloaded and played anyway. Kind of like a DVR for music. This makes it a much more reliable solution.
djmalachi1 9:52 PM - 30 December, 2015
Honestly, Serato needs to get on this. I would gladly pay $25/monthly for "Spotify DJ" that would allow Serato to use my Spotify playlists in my Serato library. And all Serato would need to do is work with Spotify to decrypt the local files for use only in Serato DJ. I know Serato has it's Whitelabel network, but it sucks. This would also give artists the HUGE benefit of knowing what, when, and where DJs are playing their music.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 2:17 AM - 12 February, 2016
Oli Griffiths 11:55 PM - 8 July, 2019
Is there likely to be any movement on this?

I know that Tidal support was recently added but the Spotify catalog is way bigger.
Laz219 2:12 AM - 9 July, 2019
If Spotify create a licencing model to allow public performance with their stream, I think all the main software will jump on it.
Almazov 6:59 PM - 11 July, 2019
Quote:
If Spotify create a licencing model to allow public performance with their stream, I think all the main software will jump on it.

it would be the best solution for all of us
DG4NJ 6:35 PM - 17 July, 2019
Quote:
I use DJay 2 by Algoriddim plugged directly into my mixing console on Channel 3. (I use a Pioneer DDJ-SX) When I get a request for something I don't have, it's usually on spotify and I can still beat match the song in, Mix and get in and out. It works for me, but I think having spotify integrated with Serato would be the best bet.

I agree with this 1000%. I'm not willing to pay for Tidal when I already pay for Spotify. What can we do to make this happen?
Almazov 9:50 PM - 17 July, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with this 1000%. I'm not willing to pay for Tidal when I already pay for Spotify. What can we do to make this happen?

Make a request on the forum Spotify
LisaBrown 10:03 AM - 21 August, 2019
Agreed with crimzor. Ads are still a big problem to use Spotify's free account on commercial DJ show. And the network connection may not stable enough to play well at every moment.

I am always expecting Spotify offline mode could be used in Serato one day. However, to my disappointment, there is no confirmed message of Spotify integration with Serato DJ software.

So now I still use the previous method to download Spotify music locally via AudFree Spotify music downloader. It works well, but I will not give up to wait for the true cooperation of Spotify and Serato :)
Laz219 12:01 PM - 21 August, 2019
Umm... Why would anyway use a Spotify free account with Serato anyway?
If Spotify were to actually support software like Serato, you can bet it wouldn't just require a premium account.
It will be a new tier of subscription ("pro") that allows public performance, that will be significantly more expensive than premium.

Even if you were using Spotify as an emergency backup, I'd hope you're not going to rely on a free account. Spotify is so cheap anyway.