Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

CPU Usage meter off the scale... whereas two weeks ago only around 20%

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-S1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
rob grand uk 12:09 AM - 31 January, 2014
hi guys. Currently using a mid 2012 MacBook Air i5 1.8ghz laptop with pioneer ddj-s1 and external seagate usb 3 1tb hardrive, with serato dj 1.5.2...

Until two weeks ago, been playing out 3 x 5.5 hr sets over thursday, friday and saturday nights without any issues whatsoever, with cpu meter in green around 20%. The last two weeks, even without the controller attached the cpu meter ramping up and down when not even playing a tune or connected to pioneer control surface. A during playout the meter went into red a few times but (Luckily) of yet no usb dropout or crahses to software but am worried compared to over 7 months usage without this issue.

I did upgrade to 1.5.2 a couple of months ago but this has only literally started happening in last two weeks.

The only thing that has happened since two weeks ago is when serato dj "window" is not maximised and status bar along top of screen is accesible, search/spotlight is continually trying to index external hardrive whereas before it never did this. Is there any way of stopping this happening as the progress meter does nothing scary without the ext hardrive connected.

Desperately after some help, any suggestions gladly appreciated.

Regards

Rob G
rob grand uk 12:34 AM - 31 January, 2014
In addition, ran disk utility and ran verify and repair on external hardrive, ejected and re-plugged back into MacBook.... serato dj sat at around 20% cpu usage as expected.... then search started to try indexing ext hardrive and cpu meter shot up again to around 60% peak.

This is obviously the issue, is there any way to stop mac trying to "index" drive?

Regards

Rob G
rob grand uk 12:59 AM - 31 January, 2014
hi all... solved it! Opened Spotlight preferences in System Preferences, dragged External Hardrive shortcut from Desktop into privacy area and now cpu usage meter sits at just about 10-15% and Spotlight does not try to continually index drive... Hopefully problem solved!
Serato, Support
Karl Y 1:57 PM - 31 January, 2014
Hi Rob,

one of our dev's recently discovered something similar, it looks like its related to your issue.

I've copied his message here, because the way he fixed it doesn't let you lose spotlight functionality :-) (i.e. search will still work)

Quote:

Hi guys, found a really good fix for making you Mac machine run like new again. Ive been having really bad performance lately and it seems to be better. Heres how:

The symptom:
- Slow mac, lots of beach balls

The cause:
- Finder is using to much memory ( it was using 1.6GB for me )
- Check Activity monitor and see how much memory your Finder is using, should only be about 50-100MB, if its more that follow the steps below to fix.

The fix:
- Open spotlight (its in system prefs)
- Click the privacy tag
- Drag your main hard drive into the list
- Wait at least 10 mins, OSX will be doing some stuff in the background to clear your indexing now.
- Now remove the hard drive from the list
- Your computer will start to reindex the drive which should take a few hours.

Thanks for sharing your solution too. :-)

Cheers
Karl
8:00 AM, 15 Feb 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.