DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

denon dn-d6000

clore46 2:17 AM - 23 March, 2006
i am planning on getting serato but am concerned how it will work with my denon cd players. are there any other users using the dn-d6000 players and ssl??
DJPozzi 2:27 AM - 23 March, 2006
I use Denons and as a general rule they aint as good as say... a Numark cdn88. The numark jog wheel can be changed into platter mode like a turntable (dunno if the dn d600 has this option)

But it really depends how you use serato. When I first switched from cds to serato I used Absolute mode. I thought it was awful. But now I use relative mode.... running on the v1.5 beta version. (remember its still in test mode tho). To be honest I reckon you could use any cd player with serato when it is in relative mode. All you need is the play button, pitch adjust and pitch bend. The rest is all taken care of by serato. The new 1.5 beta version has loops, and hot cues.

If you want to use the denon break it will still work. But if your cd player has phase/flange effects they wont work.

Just read my response and there is a lot to take in. But hope its of help! ;)
clore46 2:42 AM - 23 March, 2006
i might just trade my denon's in for the numark cdn90's(88 replacment) because of the issues ive heard with some of the denons
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:11 AM - 23 March, 2006
why dont you try the denon first with SSL before spending more money
DJ Unique 4:37 AM - 23 March, 2006
Yes, try your Denon first. It should work fine. Set it to scratch mode so can use the platter to fine tune your cue location prior to pressing play.

I use SSL with Denon S5000 and S3500 and all is fine.
clore46 12:06 PM - 23 March, 2006
thanks, i think i'll try the denons first and see what i get
Alixx J 6:05 PM - 23 March, 2006
I have a set of Denon 6000's and on normal cd's they rock, they hold their pitch tighter than anything ive ever played on and all the functions are simple and high quality.

There is only a slight gripe i have that when you play with the serato cd's, when you set a cue point,the coded cds dont return exactly to that point, i get around this by hitting cue, moving to the point i want using the platter, then starting from normal pause - this works around the problem.
clore46 8:04 PM - 23 March, 2006
what if you use the hot starts for cueing(what im used to anyway). will it return then?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:53 PM - 23 March, 2006
I use 5000, 3500 and 1k
hotstart seems to "cue" better than the play button

BUT i still use normal play pause button to start a song.

I press the the Cue button to the beat then Play button to release
just like "rocking" the vynil

to me the cue problem is not a big deal anymore

im starting to learn Relative mode :)
Alixx J 9:01 PM - 23 March, 2006
the hot starts do work better than the cue button but starting from pause is definately the best way to ensure the tune drops in where it should do, it did frustrate me at first but its not too bad once you get used it, apparently pioneer decks dont have this problem
DJPozzi 9:52 PM - 30 March, 2006
still cant beat using any cd player or vinyl in rel mode. specially with the loops and shit on 1.5 beta!!! :)
DJ Mo Rada 10:05 PM - 30 March, 2006
Quote:
the hot starts do work better than the cue button but starting from pause is definately the best way to ensure the tune drops in where it should do, it did frustrate me at first but its not too bad once you get used it, apparently pioneer decks dont have this problem

Pioneer CDJ-800's.. same cue problem, but vinly mode saves the day
clore46 2:41 AM - 31 March, 2006
turns out i went out and bought 2 cdj-800's because of the cue issues the denons have, ive wanted to switch to a table top setup anyway, thanks for the advice guys
Con 5:45 AM - 11 April, 2006
I too have been using the DN-D6000 and have been experiencing this same problem where the true "cue" point is not played when the play button is pressed. I also have this brief hiss and a slight pause (no sound) before the track actually begins playing. This hiss and pause is only a fraction of a second long, but enough to miss the beat for the beginning of a mix, or worse still when cold cutting into the next track. I though the issue was SSL related, but it sounds like it has more to do with the player than SSL. Can anyone comment further on this?
Lrd Neza 4:01 PM - 25 June, 2007
I found that the scratch mode on the DN6000 is the best setting to use with SSL .
DJ Reza 8:30 PM - 30 June, 2007
I have the Denon DN-D6000 CD decks, and found that the effects such as Echo, and Frequency filters don't work with Serato.

I also have a 1200's that I seem to be using alot more now.

Ideally, my plan was to use the 1200's for HipHop, R&B and OldSchool, and use the CD Decks for Reggae..

Does anyone else have issues with the buit-in effects on the CD Decks ??
DJ Reza 8:42 PM - 30 June, 2007
Please disregard my previous post. After reading a bit more, I understand why the effect won't work.