DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics, CDJs and controllers...

MarkOfOdessy 3:03 AM - 21 January, 2014
I alway buy and sell gear. This last week I sold my personal tables and almost said I'm done with tables all together as I have controllers and CDJs, but then I got a like new MK5 in my inventory this morning and can't make up my mind… Are tables done or what? CDJs with Hid are so dope and even tho I don't have an NS7ii, I personally think it's dope… I've noticed a lot more people are moving away from Technics all together and just wanted to see how others feel about all this.
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:57 AM - 21 January, 2014
Who cares what we think if you want to rock cdjs or controllers or 1210's do it you don't need our seal of approval
Z-Point 5:19 AM - 21 January, 2014
I've never owned a controller, but it'd make my radio gigs a lot easier for setup and takedown. I normally use the station's 1200s and bring my own mixer.

Anyway, I have my own set of 1200s and I think I'd only ever sell them to get 1210s. I can't see permanently getting rid of turntables.
Katana 6:55 AM - 21 January, 2014
With the whole controller movement, I think that alot of people (especially newer Djs) feel that turntables are unnecessary and that controllers can do what TTs do. However this is the farthest thing from the truth. If you are someone who has been using decks for years, the jogwheels on controllers will feel almost insulting to play with. Its like giving Dj AM or Dj Qbert an NS7 to drop a set with. While the NS7 is indeed a superior controller, they are so accustomed to 12 vinyls spinnin on the TTs such that jogwheels just cant do the job. I personally get offended when the newer cats at my residency walk in with a traktor kontrol s4 and they ask me why I waste my energy hauling my 1200s in the dj booth while i could just pop in with a controller. Dj Sparky says it right just use whatever works for you but i still feel like people especially newer cats don't appreciate the beauty of needles grazing on vinyl and they are all consumed by all the controllers that are out there.
DJ Mikey Rod 7:23 AM - 21 January, 2014
As a guy that went from controller to turntable, I must say… controllers are a whole lot easier. But there is something beautiful about cutting a mix on a 1200. The feeling, the look, the nod to the old school, the whole package. The visual: people seem more intrigued watching a turntablist. I'll stick to turntables.
djbanno 12:26 PM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
But there is something beautiful about cutting a mix on a 1200. The feeling, the look, the nod to the old school, the whole package.

Whatever you play on you still have to + 1 this.
eugguy 2:56 PM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
But there is something beautiful about cutting a mix on a 1200. The feeling, the look, the nod to the old school, the whole package.

^Best avatar ever. +1 to that!
MarkOfOdessy 2:22 AM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:
I've never owned a controller, but it'd make my radio gigs a lot easier for setup and takedown. I normally use the station's 1200s and bring my own mixer.

Anyway, I have my own set of 1200s and I think I'd only ever sell them to get 1210s. I can't see permanently getting rid of turntables.

The only tables I would never get rid of are M5Gs, which I've been trying to get for the last 5 years, never seem to find them at a fair price. I'll settle for a clean pair of any 2010 models now, but I always seem to get Silver. Which is why I'm on the fence about just giving up on tables all together. Just wanted to get some insight on what everyone else is thinking about it.

@The Return of Dj Sparky, I personally don't care what others think about what I use as everyone knows me for on the high end side of gear having, but I'm trying to be more practical about what I buy and use these days. No sense in investing all kinds of money anymore as it's getting more and more watered down (just the way I feel, no offense to anyone). Event production is still what I want to do, but the deejaying part is almost not even worth it for me. It's better to just hire other people to do it. Tho I will always love deejaying for myself or my friends because I just love it that much.
djbanno 1:53 PM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sshhhh i dont want my Xone 92 to know about my avatar ;)
eugguy 4:29 PM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sshhhh i dont want my Xone 92 to know about my avatar ;)

Lol. I own a 92...maybe I will take a picture of myself in bed with it too...haha!
dj vegas 7:48 PM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:
With the whole controller movement, I think that alot of people (especially newer Djs) feel that turntables are unnecessary and that controllers can do what TTs do. However this is the farthest thing from the truth. If you are someone who has been using decks for years, the jogwheels on controllers will feel almost insulting to play with. Its like giving Dj AM or Dj Qbert an NS7 to drop a set with. While the NS7 is indeed a superior controller, they are so accustomed to 12 vinyls spinnin on the TTs such that jogwheels just cant do the job. I personally get offended when the newer cats at my residency walk in with a traktor kontrol s4 and they ask me why I waste my energy hauling my 1200s in the dj booth while i could just pop in with a controller. Dj Sparky says it right just use whatever works for you but i still feel like people especially newer cats don't appreciate the beauty of needles grazing on vinyl and they are all consumed by all the controllers that are out there.
Yea I play on techs and a 62 I started in 94. I have never played on CDj s I never thought they where cool at all. I got a cheap weekday gig so I got the ddj sx then the sr. I would never play on one for a crowd over 50 people tho. I would not be able to do what I can do on tables. That's what it comes down to