Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

What does SSL write back to WAV files when no update should happen?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 1:43 PM - 18 January, 2014
In SSL 2.5, I play a fresh WAV file (with the stand-alone-player), tagged with Tag & Rename ...

Set Auto-BPM is disabled,
Autofill overviews is disabled,

Artist, Title, etc. is filled from T&R before.

Play the track, unload it, end SSL writes back tags to the WAV file?

I didn't set no cue points, etc.

Why?

Is there something else to disable?

I think I have to set them to read-only on the file-system.

This "write back" on each WAV file is horrible - because it generates an unnecessary backup (changed modified-timestamp on file system).
Konix 2:33 PM - 18 January, 2014
It has to store the waveform in the file as well.
pueblofunky 3:24 PM - 18 January, 2014
To store the waveform ... isn't it the option "Autofill overviews" - which is disabled in the preferences?
Konix 4:54 PM - 18 January, 2014
Not exactly, all the autofill overviews option does is build the complete waveform when you load the track if the waveform isn't already set. Normally, if the track doesn't have a waveform stored yet, it only fills/builds the waveform as the track buffers slowly over the course of the track.

It's strongly recommend you build you overviews in advanced in the offline player for best performance. That will require that it writes to the files, as waveform overviews are stored in the files themselves.

If you don't want Scratch Live to write to your files, then yes you'd have to make them read only, again though, that's not recommend for best performance. Almost all Scratch Live/Serato DJ options require writing to the track (waveform overviews, loops, cue points, BPM, auto gain settings, etc.).
pueblofunky 5:01 PM - 18 January, 2014
Thx a lot for the info!
pueblofunky 5:17 PM - 18 January, 2014
But when "autofill overviews" is disabled, Serato should not build the waveform, right

And when Serato has not built the waveform - it can not really store it into the file, or isn't it?

Have I overseen something? ;-)

Thx!
Konix 6:02 PM - 18 January, 2014
Quote:
But when "autofill overviews" is disabled, Serato should not build the waveform, right

It will still build the waveform slowly as the track plays. Autofill overviews option just builds it faster.

Quote:

And when Serato has not built the waveform - it can not really store it into the file, or isn't it?

No matter what, Scratch Live will build the waveform overview, and once you eject the track or load another one to the deck, it will write to the file.