DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

what controller do you recommend for 1.9?

trafficjam 1:27 PM - 18 January, 2009
reading all about the forthcoming upgrade and the new possibilites of the samplers etc has got me thinking that this would be good time to start looking for an external controller. Something to take along to gigs and use as a midi controller, usb connection, some pads and things to trigger samplers, cues, loops etc Preferably light to store and carry easily, that can be set up quickly and easily with a minimum of fuss.

what are you all using? or what do you recommend in light of the new features soon to be available?
DJ GaFFle 2:27 PM - 18 January, 2009
Are you looking for this controller to have jog wheels to manipulate the song or more like platters for a more realistic close-to-turntable feel?
RRollergod 2:43 PM - 18 January, 2009
If you just want to trigger loops and drops I would get a M-Audio Trigger Finger. Cheap, and does the job well.
icb 3:17 PM - 18 January, 2009
Hi,
I`m thinking about akai mpd24 or korg padkontrol. If anyone is using any of these, please let us know their pros and cons.
I like mpd24 more because I want to use it for production too, and it has more rotary knobs and 6 faders, which is cool.
Any thoughts ?
trafficjam 4:22 PM - 18 January, 2009
Gaffle - I'd be controlling the tracks with 2 turntables + vinyl, so the controller would be acting as a substitute for the laptop keyboard, something you can place closer to the decks to hit the loops, cues and samplers with. It's got to have rock solid midi, can't be doing with dropouts, crashes etc

Cheers RRollergod, I'm checking out the m-audio site right now. Can't tell exactly how big the Trigger Finger is, looking for info on that, wonder how well it would fit in a compact booth?

Anybody tried the Korg nanopad?
Deejay Z 6:08 PM - 18 January, 2009
I have the Korg Nano KEY and I LOVE IT....best $37 bucks Ive spent, and it fits perfectly on top of my 57 and between my technics!
Niro 6:53 PM - 18 January, 2009
Let me give you guys a little hint, noctu.....

Niros
tehBEN 7:00 PM - 18 January, 2009
do you have the sl1 and planning to use the midi controller to use it to control video in 1.9 later?
trafficjam 8:36 PM - 18 January, 2009
no plans to use video, just need something to place in front of the decks as a triggering device.
slayed 9:12 PM - 18 January, 2009
Ive been using the stanton da scratch sc3d, Im not sure how well it will map to the sampler and all, but I can wait to use it.
VJ Justin Allen 9:27 PM - 18 January, 2009
How does that stack up...are you using it to replace turntables/cd players?
OhCeeDee 10:53 PM - 18 January, 2009
I am seriously considering the nanoPad. At ~$50 it seems hard to beat, plus the touch pad seems super configurable, say as a faux-x-fader/up faders for videoSL, or to scroll through the auto loop lengths. Plus 4 banks = 48 virtual pads. Not bad considering you could squeeze in front of your mixer.

What i would kill for is something like the m-audio trigger finger, but 5x5 pads, get rid of all the knobs. all the drum pad style midi controllers ive seen are only 4x4 from what i can tell... or 64x64 and $800 like the monome's!
bboyrealone 3:50 AM - 19 January, 2009
Quote:

I`m thinking about akai mpd24 or korg padkontrol.

I was thinking of getting the mpd24 too.
ekwipt 4:21 AM - 19 January, 2009
Quote:
Hi,
I`m thinking about akai mpd24 or korg padkontrol. If anyone is using any of these, please let us know their pros and cons.
I like mpd24 more because I want to use it for production too, and it has more rotary knobs and 6 faders, which is cool.
Any thoughts ?

I use the padkontrol, there's not much you can fault with it, possibly that it would be great if it had more rotary encoders, the pads are super responsive and it's great as a production tool if that's your thing as well.

IO also have a Novation remote zero sl, it's great but the pads aren't that responsive, more knobs and faders.

if i was buying again i'd probably get the nanokey for triggering loops and cure points (more buttons than any other controller and cheap to boot
OhCeeDee 4:23 AM - 19 January, 2009
Quote:
Only thing I don't like about the nanopads layout is that if I have it horizontal like its supposed to be I get confused what buttons are for what deck so I turn it vertical. It helps but having labels would help a lot.

I would just think of it like the keyboard on your laptop:

In internal mode the "qwerty" row is deck 1, and the "asdfgh" row is deck 2, so id think of the top row on the nanoPad as deck 1 and the bottom row as deck 2. I think there might even be room for it on my odyssey stand if i push m laptop back...

But vertical would work well too, just tuck it to the left or right of your mixer/brdige it between mixer and TT.

Also, you could easily assign the 4 scenes to cue, cue set, auto loop, and loop roll, or the sampler/whatever else.
DJ Overpour 8:15 AM - 20 January, 2009
technics 1200s
icb 2:24 PM - 25 January, 2009
I ended up with padKOntrol , and I love it so far.... read some bad reviews on Akai mpd24 lately, about bad knobs, sending messages when not touching, etc., so I decided to go with korg. and I got it on some deal together with an audio card, so I`m pretty satisfied :)
Recommended ;)
westerley 5:26 PM - 25 January, 2009
Ive got a trigger finger, works great for what your talking about (loops, cues, etc.)
Sets up really easy with serato and for mac you dont even have to install drivers or anything. The only thing is that it doesnt work when i plug it into the right usb on my MBP but works great in the left one...but this is a mac issue not trigger finger.
VJ Justin Allen 5:51 PM - 25 January, 2009
It's been discussed before (just forget) but is Serato working on the right USB on MPB's now?
westerley 3:43 AM - 26 January, 2009
Ya the SL1 box works great on the right USB just the trigger finger doesnt.
dead serious 4:41 AM - 26 January, 2009
is there a good controller that can connect with firewire 400?

both of the USB slots are already being used on my mbp and i don't really want to have to resort to a hub. and the firewire passport externals are a bit pricey still
dirtbag filthy 5:36 AM - 26 January, 2009
get an express card for your mbp with some more usb slots...i have one i connect my trigger finger to and it works great
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:58 PM - 26 January, 2009
WII Remote with nunchuck
pdidy 5:40 AM - 27 January, 2009
i have not tried it yet but this looks like the way to go.... Watchwww.youtube.com
dj offchops 3:38 PM - 29 July, 2009
give full support i dont want trackter scratch please Watchwww.youtube.com look fun