Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Gapless Auto Play

djianl 8:23 PM - 11 January, 2014
Hi

Firstly I am not asking for Auto MIX to match the bpm's etc etc I am quite capable to mix without sync.

What I am looking for is a feature in Auto Play that will remove silence from the end / start of each mp3 files so we can have a gapless playback for either early in the night or in case you need to go to the toilet during the night!

Virtual DJ does this, I believe Traktor does as well... come on Serato!

I regularly do private functions where guests might arrive at 7pm and have a 3 course meal, coffees etc and they only require background music for at least 2 hours. I don't want to stand there and play music quietly for 2 hours so I have prepared some different playlists however there is no way for me to play these in Serato without huge gaps. So instead I use Virtual DJ which adjusts the Fade point for each song and plays music non-stop, just like a Radio Station would.

It would also be handy in a nightclub if you needed to go to the toilet and you were on your own. At the moment I have to run there and back before the end of a single track.

Once again i'm not asking for Auto Mix with Tempo, I don't even want it to Mix. I just want playback with the silence at the end of the track removed and the next track to start from the 1st cue point.

Are there any plans to introduce this?
deejdave 1:51 AM - 12 January, 2014
I think this happens due to the silence that is located within the file itself. You can have the file start at the first cue point that you choose but the file plays until the absolute end which usually includes a decent wait where the volume diminishes down to silence.
djianl 4:54 PM - 14 January, 2014
Yes but in VDJ it removes the silence, even iTunes does a simple crossfade... it can't be difficult!
Dj Mike Reilly 11:57 PM - 9 February, 2014
I just got the Pioneer DDJ-SX controller and love it as well as Serato DJ!!! Great software. I am currently using VDJ. The only feature its missing is the gapless auto play. I don't want it for mixing my songs during dancing. Only for cocktail hour and dinner where I may have to be away the console getting to set up the bridal party for intros or other things. I am a solo op and always work alone. So this feature is HUGE for me. Hope it comes soon and I will get rid of VDJ forever!!! Thanks!!!
DJ Chris Craze 4:36 PM - 10 February, 2014
its simple , they a need an Autoplay Crossfader Setting in the setting where u can choose the length..
deejdave 10:12 PM - 10 February, 2014
The concept IS simple yes. Having this be accepted by the community at large...................... not so simple. Furthermore even IF this were to be considered it should not be worked in until all the real issues are covered. Would adding this to Serato DJ intro suffice or are you guys looking to get this into Serato DJ? Please try to understand that bringing up VDJ in an argument FOR a feature is not all that appealing. IF people wanted what VDJ has to offer they would use VDJ. This and other features like this is exactly what sets Serato apart from them and getting more like them is not exactly a step in the right direction. Remember there are two sides to this and every time this comes up it seems the majority is on the opposite side. Not trying to be mean or start a fight just trying to show alternate angles on this topic.
Dj Mike Reilly 10:36 PM - 10 February, 2014
Dave. Great ideas on the topic. I myself really enjoy using Serato DJ as a mobile DJ. Most of my business is weddings and having that feature is really important as a DJ that works alone. If Serato DJ wants to really entice people to switch over to them it would be a huge step in getting more mobile entertainers to do so. I am currently working on setting up mixes for my Serato so I can use them for dinner and cocktail hour on SDJ. I feel this software blows VDJ away in every aspect now. I totally understand where Serato came from and is going and that feature may never be implemented, just voicing my opinion. Great discussion. :)
deejdave 10:48 PM - 10 February, 2014
I am glad to hear someone mature enough to accept the other side. Don't get me wrong I see the marketability for this feature and it could have its uses. I wouldn't dare go int the "unprofessional" argument as that is not at all what I am trying to portray an individual who want this. Define professional ya now what I'm saying? How a person wants to run his/her business IS their business and who is someone who is NOT affected by their decisions to say otherwise. I am simply saying that Serato may not be the solution for some or at least they are not trying to be. IF this is added it MUST be selectable and when I say selectable I mean when not activated it must be removed from the screen. A simple solution that leans towards Serato's current planning would be to make this a purchasable plugin similar to Pitch N Time & the FX packs where you purchase, activate and use on an individual basis.

IF this was the direction they want would you be willing to pay and if so how much? I don't want to give false hopes but coincidence or not the price point they chose for Pitch N Time matched the exact price everyone agreed they would be willing to pay for it prior to even hearing about it.
Dj Mike Reilly 10:53 PM - 10 February, 2014
Yes I totally see the other side. I use it as a tool, like you said, to get things done in a professional manner. I definitely could use the auto play feature in SDJ for cocktail hr and dinner, but I can not stand having dead air during any portion of any event. I think having it as an plug in would be ideal. This way anyone who needs it, can but it and activate it and basically customize their SDJ to their needs. I would 100 percent purchase that as an add on. Great idea Dave. Who knows if it will ever happen but good thinking :)
deejdave 10:56 PM - 10 February, 2014
Well they say money talks and again call it coincidence but Pitch N Time (after Yeaaaaaaaars of asking for a better key lock) came out pretty F-ing fast after the $30 price point was obviously a price that the Serato community stated they were willing to pay.
Dj Mike Reilly 11:15 PM - 10 February, 2014
LOL. Well I would definitely pay $30 for gapless auto play.
Tiger4life 1:14 PM - 12 February, 2014
+1
djianl 5:58 PM - 14 February, 2014
It doesn't need to do any pitch matching, beat mixing etc

I just want something to remove the silence at the start & end of Edits for playlists during meals etc to avoid awkward silences.

I only ever use the Virtual DJ playlist on "Remove Silence" which is what I would hope Serato would include in their software.
lofty 3:19 PM - 15 February, 2014
It's not necessary -

Think about it - If you are quietly playing background music at a wedding or whatever
the guests will be socializing - not listening to your mixes- no one ( but a DJ ) gives a shit if there's a second or 2 of silence between tracks.

most albums have silence between tracks - if people are listening to an album or a playlist on their Ipod - there's silence - it really doesn't matter to 99% of non DJ people

automix is useless -- if you need gapless mixing during a gig - do it yourself - it's not that difficult .
Neil Cutler 6:11 AM - 26 February, 2014
I've seen multiple threads on this feature and I've tried to add my desire for it to each one.

I'm a mobile DJ who loves mixing and thus loves Serato, but along with 20 different lighting fixtures and setting up the sound system, there are *always* technical difficulties that I must attend to. I simply cannot use Serato DJ on it's own because it lacks the gapless auto play.

At my last gig, Serato DJ unexpectedly quit twice. I am convinced it's because I had VDJ running in the background (with video) as well as Serato Video running. Its rather frustrating to have to run two softwares simply because Serato is missing one feature.

In prioritizing features, which I know you get so very many, I ask that you please consider the positive impact this feature would have for mobile DJs!
DJDennyK 2:26 AM - 27 February, 2014
Add me to the list who would love to see this feature.
Traktor allows you to set cue in and cue out points which is nice.
I love the software but lets face it for cocktail hour and dinner music this is almost a must. Yes there may be work arounds but lets face it, in the mobile dj business things happen.
Would be nice if you had a gapless auto play available if you had to trouble shoot something else.
Dee J Kev 5:34 PM - 2 March, 2014
Hi Guys,
I am new to Serato and Pioneer this weekend. Wow, what a programme. And I am coming from Traktor!
Any way to the point in question, I am a Wedding DJ and I have a Denon HD2500, set up with playlists on the internal hard drive. I select the playlist in question, ie, buffet, and set it to cross-fade, I can play this through the Pioneer DDJsx on Ch 4 whilst I mingle. This does exactly as this discussion.

I have used this for many years through the Denon MC6000 mk1 and Traktor.
Cost effective and a complete backup all in one.
All it takes is to update the playlists once a month and Boom. your done.

Thanks Guys, I am looking forward to reading more of the forum.
DylanVE 2:38 AM - 3 March, 2014
+1

Simple idea, and definitely helpful.
DJ Lix Va 3:00 PM - 24 March, 2014
Hi All, I have been a DJ (CD based) and run live sound for bands for 10 years and have never used Serato until I just bought a Pioneer DDJ-SX. I really like some things but since I am coming from Virtual DJ there are some things I really miss right off the bat. The extra side list made my life easier as any song I would substitute would gather in a list. I have only been messing with Serato DJ for a couple of hours. A skin change would be nice. I see the autoplay but it is LAME and really of no use unless you want to get dogged when you are trying to step away. That's the only time I use it, I mix virtually every song until I need a break.

I have seen some negative comments regarding this and my answer every time is "If you don't want Automix, don't turn it on" same as autoplay, don't belittle someone because you think you are top dog DJ because I am sure I could pick you apart if I went to your show, everyone makes a few mistakes in a night. Automix will not eliminate that from happening. And NO I shouldn't have to run another DJ program or hardware to achieve this.

If you want to get more people to convert from another software make the transition easier to justify. We are talking about simple code, not a space mission. I run a DJ company, I train people to DJ all the time and if I have a newby just starting I need all the tricks I can to get him up to speed. When you get comfortable you get better, it takes time. Just add the automix with outro clips and sell more software. The people complaining about adding it are afraid of competition and have already paid for there software, who cares what they want? Sell more (User Friendly) software!

If you're in a forum it shouldn't be to troll and bash, it should be to help, not ridicule, but educate. Grow up! I don't care how great you think you are, because you're really not if you have to use any software. If I am going to pay for something I want all the bells and whistles. If it could DJ for me, read the crowd, pick the right songs, run my lights and fog machine, hell yes I'll buy it and spend more time collecting phone numbers and getting laid in the parking lot!

It shouldn't be $30 upgrade more like $5, the code already exists!
DJ Lix Va 4:47 PM - 24 March, 2014
On second thought I found a new mapper for VDJ and I may miss some of the cool FX in SDJ but I have everything I need to prelisten and cue, mix, blend properly so I will be selling my unregistered Serato disc since it's too much to ask to write some simple code that lots of people have been asking for for years! VDJ doesn't try to upsell you for things that should be included already. Video(WTF), Pitch(STUPID) that has no range to begin with, FX (Really) It's like playing a game that needs tons of in store purchases to enjoy! BS
deejdave 7:10 PM - 24 March, 2014
This is exactly the answer for issues such as these. I feel you made the right choice.

BTW Video (FREE with my SX, SP1 & SZ), Pitch (glad to pay since it is based off Serato's industry standard algorithm costing over 10 times the price we pay minimum) and FX (the FREE FX are the standard ones and the packs are small tweakes based off the standards but the issue is there is a different company making them [Izotope} and I doubt they are doing them for free no matter how easy the coding may be).

No huffing my chest or trying to be mean. Just saying there is an alternate side to your logic. Lastly I see you make statements on ridiculing but then ridicule yourself. I am not sure of all in the world but I am sure that it doesn't seem right to bash anyone using software to DJ when this said software in no way can do the job for you. Imagine what you would/could have said if it did. This is exactly why the automix is dismissed so quickly/harshly.

I don't think I am better than anyone and this was in no way meant to intimidate you or bash you. Again just reminding there is an alternate side to your logic.
DJ Lix Va 8:53 PM - 24 March, 2014
Deejdave, I just noticed that my software does come with a limited video packaged in my DDJSX.

If you don't wan't to include automix dualdeck that's just another reason the sales team may not be vacationing in the Bahamas this summer? I paid $300 for VDJ and aside from some lag in the DDJ it will be my new workhorse. I am in the process of figuring out what the lag deal is since my Denon MC6000 never ever had trouble like this. Also the FX on top do not function as desired, more mapping... I would really like to spend more time with SDJ but if there is no way for it to do a simple task like AMDD like PCDJ and Winamp FREE acomplished 10 years ago. I just don't feel it's worth any time. I don't have any clue about the ten times the cost algorithm. I don't play techno, house music, I play Top 40, Hip Hop music and request's, the bpm's are not like EDM where everything is 135bpm, I can see how a Trance EDM DJ would feel threatened with Automix since all the songs they use sound the same and have the same or very similar beat.

I know a guy who DJ's and has never used a turntable ever, He uses iTunes, and gets more work than I do. Limiting the software to keep people like that away from buying your product is just plain ignorance to supply and demand. Like I said before, have it available and if you don't use it, DON'T USE IT! If you like a little comfort in knowing that if you're distracted there will not be a train wreck, you should have the option. Not everyone is David Guetta but if software can help you get the job done it SHOULD do so. Without the proverbial nose stuck up as if some of us are not worthy of 30 minutes of code!

Maybe someone will third party a patch (Automix_Dualdeck Serato DJ) and make a fortune whilst your busy giving your customers the finger! If your customer wants something and you refuse to give it to them what happens? The same thing that happens when your spouse wants something and you don't give it to her, she get's if from someone else! Everytime...
deejdave 9:49 PM - 24 March, 2014
Quote:
I know a guy who DJ's and has never used a turntable ever, He uses iTunes, and gets more work than I do.

I know people who don't know how to DJ at ALL. They are basically promoters that stand behind the booth yelling & screaming basically using the laptop as a playlist. They probably outwork the three of us combined................. is this something to be proud of? Do you think this (as a respectable DJ software developer) is what Serato is trying to cater to? Do you feel your friend who has no idea how to DJ is a proper candidate for Serato?

Additionally I find it interesting that you have a limited video package when there is no such thing. There is no such thing as Serato Video trial.

Trust me Serato is not giving anyone the finger. They are simply listening to the majority. It is the right way to handle business and seen as a positive thing. With the Video debacle mentioned above I am also doubting you have much knowledge in code and what it takes to incorporate it. It is not so much of writing it up it is having it work with the hordes of people using countless machines & hardware. Not to mention the mass amount of beginners trying to be the next big star (nothing wrong with that) using their hand me down i3 PC (something wrong with that though) yet are quick to point the finger at Serato when it doesn't work. It is actually a LOT tougher than you or even I know.

Quote:
If your customer wants something and you refuse to give it to them what happens?

This logic is spot on BUT it has to apply to the majority. If MOST wanted it I am sure they would add it. This not even being close to the case they have no choice but to move on to features that ARE actually desired by the community at large instead of a few users. The way to go about getting features around here is to start a feature request. From there it is a numbers game. If Serato sees mostly +1 they consider it. If they see an overwhelming amount of opposition (EG what happens whenever this topic is brought up) they have no choice but to dismiss it.

Quote:
The same thing that happens when your spouse wants something and you don't give it to her, she get's if from someone else!

Not for nothing but this is even more flawed than the concept at hand. If after weighing things out I decide not to do something/give something to my spouse. That is where it ends. She may wine & complain and possibly even convince me at a later date BUT she would never go over my head.

BTW the ten times the cost for the algorithm is pretty much where Serato came from. They started developing Pitch n Time wayyyy before SSL was a reality. The price for Pitch N Time is actually $400 with the Pro version costing $800. MUCH more features & changeable parameters BUT the same algorithm is used in Serato DJ. NOW if the time spent writing the "code" is worth that much surely a fraction of the cost is not too much to ask for for the "code" to me implemented into SDJ. Again with majority considered it was the smartest thing they could have done.

Please try to keep this civil & mature. As you see I am refraining from name calling or putting down. Not that you haven't been so far but please continue to be mature about this as you have done so far. I am only bringing this up as I know it is frustrating when someone basically disagrees with everything you say. Trust me it is not personal it is just that some things are clearly wrong (the Serato video thing) and the others I believe to be erroneous by opinion.

As a side note I am not sure how you are using David Guetta or in what context. His name has basically been destroyed in the professional DJ ring for issues similar to these to be honest. Look up button pushing & David Guetta. This is why he was booed off stage at the DJ Mag Top 100 (when he won it from Armin) and also the reason there are so many videos showing his flaws. I mean again to each their own and if fame is the goal then by all means. To me it's the road traveled and keeping your honor & integrity on the way.
Mr Wilks 2:49 AM - 25 March, 2014
Autoplay is coming at some point in the near future (it was a post a few days ago from Serato).

Let's just hope the gapless function is in there somewhere as I could do with it for the start of the night in a venue I do.

+1
DJ Lix Va 4:05 AM - 25 March, 2014
Mr Wilks, Autoplay is as usless as pressing next on a walkman (actually it's worse) and it's already in DJ, I am talking about a dualdeck automix that leaves me two more deck to explore fun samples, beat mixes etc.

Dave I skimmed through some and I do see your side, I'll read the rest tonight when I get off work. I can see how confusing it may be to a developer but voting NO is not the answer it's the point, having versatile, viable software, that is the leader in the industry is more important than having an option that can be turned on an off and not wanting it. I didn't know about David Guetta, All I know is he make lots of money, more than I'll ever have. I rarely pay attention to other DJ's unless they are annoying me by yelling (distorted) over the mic unintelligible verbs to a crowd that's sitting down, also distorted speakers blasting way over the designed max. But It's been a long time since I've been out to see a DJ other than one working for me and I have to crack the whip sometimes over distortion. I'd rather have a clean sound and less wicky wicky. I scratch about as often as I use the siren, once an hour maybe. I like a smooth mix with announcements that make the bar money. I have a feeling that It may be Serato trolls that don't even work once a week yapping. I have seen so many of the threads that get shot down in the first few responses, Haters gonna hate. I DJ full time it's been my only job for 7 years. I am not a weekend warrior waiting for the phone to ring, I am busy and I would love an alternative to VDJ that controlls all the cool functions of DDJSX and has the two main items I need the most. Side list and AMDD. Sorry if I rant, but I know what I want and if theres something in it I don't like I wont use it.
Mr Wilks 4:59 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Mr Wilks, Autoplay is as usless as pressing next on a walkman (actually it's worse) and it's already in DJ, I am talking about a dualdeck automix that leaves me two more deck to explore fun samples, beat mixes etc.

This is a gapless autoplay thread so added input as per original post. I never read your "duel deck" suggestion. I manage just fine with the four decks on my DDJ SX and synced samples and don't need any automix.

This is going off on a bit of a tangent as I'm adding to the original discussion. Gapless autoplay is just like pressing next on a Walkman and is the subject of the thread. What exactly do you think we are asking for here?

I think you have automix and autoplay mixed up in this thread. We are asking for an adjustable crossfade between tracks like in iTunes etc NOT automix. That's another thread entirely. This is so I can set up with background music playing fading into each other at low volume. Then when I come on and we turn up the system and I take off the autoplay and rock the crowd. I DJ and also have a managerial role so can't be behind the decks for the first hour in room 1 so have to play CDs that have been pre burnt.

The issue what we are having is that it sounds like pressing next on a Walkman. This is what we want eradicating, after all, this is the feature suggestion section.
DJ Lix Va 5:11 AM - 25 March, 2014
Oh I stand corrected then, I'll take a look. In VDJ it's called automix_dualdeck, you set the cross-fade engage length manually. This is something you have to type in manually in the mappers code to use. There is another auto cross fade that uses one deck and loads two songs back to back, I never use it though.

I hope you understand that I really want to use Serato It has some awesome things that make DJing more fun than VDJ but I have to be able to leave sometimes for various reasons and the autoplay I tried war horrible in SDJ.
Mr Wilks 5:38 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
...and the autoplay I tried war horrible in SDJ.

Exactly. All Autoplay does is starts the next track in a playlist once the current one finishes and gets to the very end. It's not for mixing as it starts the next song once the last one has already finished and is used for background music or where a DJ isn't on. The problem lies with thee big gaps of audio at the end of mp3s.

We just want to fade the tracks between each other as they finish so it sounds softer with no dead air. The effect we are after is the croossfade option in iTunes. Just a few seconds on the fade out so we don't get any silence.

Automix however counts the beats, grid position and matches the BPMs then launches play on it's best guess at an actual mix like a DJ would. I really don't think Serato would ever add that function as it's controversial for the traditional Serato userbase. Anyone that used to ask for it was shot down pretty quick in the past but I feel people have mellowed a bit now SDJ has taken over. The addition of sync caused enough ruffled feathers to them.

As for VDJ with the SX , I feel the platter resolution isn't hi-res unless it's used in Serato as it reverts to standard MIDI and not Serato propriatry mode. The platters would be good for pitch bending but not scratching due to the low-res mode.
DJ Lix Va 6:38 AM - 25 March, 2014
EXACTLY, I don't need it to mix for, me just eliminate dead air. But I want it to go from deck 1 to 2. Then I can take a personal break without breaking the vibe too much. I can tell that VDJ is going to be a chore with the DDJSX, the lag time is horrific. To map the headphones to prelisten I had to return the main signal though my computer too and what I hear in the phones is a second before whats in the speakers. very hard to dial in when it's out of sync. Plus volume faders don't respond until you yank them around a bit, same with gain and EQ control. I had actually taken my unit back yesterday because the gig I ran with it Saturday acted like there was no cross fader at all for awhile and the left deck would not respond to touch for me to grab in vinyl mode. Ended up being I had to hit the vinyl button several times for it to catch on.... cross fader was a firmware update. I bought it at 5pm on sat and had a one hour drive to my gig so I didn't worry about software as long as it looked like it was going to work. I fought it all night long. Luckily most people couldn't tell, but I was hating on it.
DJ Lix Va 6:47 AM - 25 March, 2014
I bought it last minute because I rented out my Denon rig and didn't want to use a mixtrack. The Denon is really nice to work with, I've had it a couple of years, I had a Numark Ns7FX and sold it last summer, Too freakin' heavy to lug around. I've been doing more renting lately so it's kind of an investment. I also rent full PA rigs, I like to rent the EV liveX's as they are hard to destroy and Allen Heath Zed10FX is solid as well.

I am a little disappointed in the DDJ right now. I shouldn't have to be an expert in mapping to run something brand new.
Culprit 12:16 AM - 27 March, 2014
I would like to see this implemented in Serato DJ as well. You could restrict this feature to when hardware is plugged in as well.
Mike from Chicago 3:20 PM - 27 March, 2014
Yes please, Autoplay with silence elimination option or cross fade option.

+1
Neil Cutler 5:49 AM - 2 April, 2014
My first true happy sign. To hear it mentioned that it is coming makes my day. Like MANY others, I desperately want to use Serato for my mobile DJ work, but haven't been able to because tech difficulties always come up preventing me from being always behind the decks.

I in fact ran Serato, Serato Video and VDJ together once which I'm convinced was the reason it hung on me twice from too much demand on CPU. This feature would fix so VERY much!
djianl 3:13 PM - 2 April, 2014
Quote:
My first true happy sign. To hear it mentioned that it is coming makes my day. Like MANY others, I desperately want to use Serato for my mobile DJ work, but haven't been able to because tech difficulties always come up preventing me from being always behind the decks.

Where have you heard that is it coming?!
Neil Cutler 6:58 PM - 2 April, 2014
From Mr Wilks above. Though I have not checked the source.
DJ FANDOS 3:26 PM - 3 April, 2014
+1
karlo16 4:55 PM - 17 April, 2014
Yes, Yes, YES!!! I would absolutely pay for a gapless autoplay function as a plugin. I'd pay $30. as mentioned above... hell, I'd even pay $50. for it -- At this point I'd pay $100. !!!

JUST MAKE IT AVAILABLE ALREADY... Please, I loyally use ONLY Serato DJ, and we've been waiting long enough!
deejdave 8:42 PM - 17 April, 2014
Serato DJ has only been out for just over a year. It couldn't have been all that long. Not to mention there are other FAR more important issues to address before adding this non-dj critical feature. I am not saying NEVER add it (although I certainly would have no use for it mobile or not) I am just saying now is absolutely NOT the time. Would you think it is fair if you were having debilitating issues preventing you from using gear that costs upwards of $2400 for the mixer alone while others are receiving attention just so they can mingle with the 16 yr old's at a sweet 16? I understand there are other things that can be accomplished with the time gained but the point is this update literally has to do with EVERYTHING OTHER than DJing.
karlo16 3:12 PM - 21 April, 2014
Hey man, I'm sorry you're having problems with your gear, but I'm sure Serato has two (or more) separate departments of programmers working on future versions of the software: One devoted to fixing bugs and solving existing problems, and one devoted to adding new features. All I'm saying is put the gapless autoplay at the top of the list of new features. Make it the priority of those working on adding new features. I can guarantee that I'll *NEVER* have any use for the iphone "remote control" app that they came out with recently -- but I could definitely use the ability to autoplay 5-6 songs in a row here and there so that I can go fix a lighting issue, or be able to network with people early in the evening to try to get my name out there to get more gigs... And... I'm willing to pay EXTRA for it! There's a lot more to playing at a nightclub or event than just DJing - especially early in the evening when what you're playing is just background music.
deejdave 3:51 PM - 21 April, 2014
Quote:
All I'm saying is put the gapless autoplay at the top of the list of new features. Make it the priority of those working on adding new features.

This is impossible as the features to be added get prioritized in order of importance and desire. As in the more useful it is the higher priority it gets. The more people want it the higher it gets prioritized. This feature warrants neither label. It is simply a fact. I am NOT saying no one wants it but I am saying it is not that high of a priority for the community at large. There are for more people concerned with DJing issues.

Quote:
I can guarantee that I'll *NEVER* have any use for the iphone "remote control" app that they came out with recently -- but I could definitely use the ability to autoplay 5-6 songs in a row here and there

This may be true BUT it would seem that again the majority has already embraced this and it has done the speaking for itself.

Quote:
There's a lot more to playing at a nightclub or event than just DJing

Nightclub.................. not really. Event possibly. Then again this is why I have a lighting guy, MC, etc. I tend to be ready for whatever is thrown at me. Backups for the backups and help for the help.

I get your side and I firmly believe Serato will one day look into and even possibly add such a feature. For now though I feel EVERY effort (not just part of the teams) should be working around the clock getting things right for EVERYONE as a whole. YOU are making the mistake in thinking that I am being selfish and looking out for my own neck with this....................... you are wrong. I have an almost flawless experience (not a coincidence BTW) with SDJ and I am actually speaking for others who are not so fortunate who would have every right to want their experience to be what they paid for before someone gets a non DJ related issue addressed. That's all I'm saying. We speak of priorities and I just want the priorities to be place correctly. I am NOT saying NEVER I am saying NOT right now..................... just my 2 cents.
mr187 4:34 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Well they say money talks and again call it coincidence but Pitch N Time (after Yeaaaaaaaars of asking for a better key lock) came out pretty F-ing fast after the $30 price point was obviously a price that the Serato community stated they were willing to pay.

+1 I noticed that also
kraakhelder 7:31 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
I regularly do private functions where guests might arrive at 7pm and have a 3 course meal, coffees etc and they only require background music for at least 2 hours. I don't want to stand there and play music quietly for 2 hours so I have prepared some different playlists however there is no way for me to play these in Serato without huge gaps.

Like djianl said when starting this discussion. Even when you're a "real DJ", there are moments when you don't want to stay behind the wheels and play all the tracks by hand.

Serato already offers the autoplay function, so why not optimize it for gapless play?
That's all.
serkan 10:21 AM - 30 April, 2014
+1 for gapless playback.

I have my DJ mixes separated into single tracks for easy navigation in iTunes, my iPod, card, etc.
I wouldn't need to close SDJ for the DJ mixes as I use SDJ more and more even just to listen to music.

Crossfading? Removing silence?
Just no gap between files would absolutely do it for me.
beatgital@gmail.com 1:10 AM - 1 July, 2014
+1 for autoplay settings
winstonmeetsjulia 8:00 PM - 13 July, 2014
+1 Autoplay with adjustable crossfade (to eliminate gaps)

Feature: Autoplay with adjustable crossfade (to eliminate gaps). For a given playlist, toggle ON/OFF an Autoplay feature with Crossfade and Silence Detection parameters. The Crossfade parameter could take arguments for length of transition (i.e., seconds) and curve of fade. Silence Detection could define silence as 'less than x dB' or 'more than x seconds of no sound'.

Implementation: Open to several ideas posted above, including paid plugin. Would pay $0 - $5 based on functionality. I understand that the general coding for implementation is available and that including this feature is more a question of priority and market strategy than development difficulty.

Summary: I'm primarily a "wedding DJ." If Serato DJ is interested in the "wedding DJ" market (which they may not be), this feature is critical.

Explanation of Use: I perform as a DJ/MC/Coordinator, which means I assist with the planning and execution (timeline, activities, special announcements, slideshows, etc.) for each event. Leading up to the "Dance Party" portion of the event, I host and coordinate, so I am constantly on the move and not always at my mixer.

Despite precise planning, it's a guarantee that things (times, people, vendors, song selections, etc.) will change. Throughout the event, I greet guests as they arrive, release tables to the buffet, take requests, check in with clients, serve drinks to bride & groom, demonstrate special dances, and make sure 'players' are ready for each activity - i.e., champagne served in time for toasts, photographer ready for grand entrance at back of ballroom followed by spotlight dances at front of ballroom, bride has bouquet ready and garter on for bouquet toss and garter removal.

To paraphrase what seems to be the major opposing point of view, requesting a feature like Autoplay with Crossfade indicates lack of skill, credibility, professionalism, or clout as a "true" DJ. To that end, if Serato DJ is intended solely for "club DJs" and custom mix artists, then I would have to agree. But I also assert that beatgrid analysis, sync, dual deck mode, and autoloop are all "crutch" features for the "legit" DJ if being consistent.

Just because a requested feature has been implemented in another (allegedly "inferior") product, does not mean it can't be used in a professional manner. Turning on sync and mixing 20 random songs at 120 bpm is equivalent to playing a 'hodge-podge' playlist with Autoplay/Crossfade. It's experience, planning, and on-the-fly adjustments that turn these automated features into show enhancers.

In contrast to the opposing view, I think a thoughtfully planned, gapless cocktail playlist running while I dismiss tables - or an extra 3 songs selected on-the-fly to seamlessly stretch a dance set while I locate the best man who's suddenly MIA - with Autoplay/Crossfade maintains a level of professionalism and quality service that is sought after in the "wedding DJ" market. Upgrading to the Pioneer DDJ-SX meant switching to Serato DJ. I LOVE IT and have a blast mixing and splicing with samples to 'fill the dance floor and keep 'em out there.' It's PERFECT for the "dance party"/"at the mixer" part of my job. Autoplay/Crossfade would enable me to dynamically prioritize ambiance and coordinating throughout each event. Currently, these are mutually exclusive options, leaving ambiance always 3 minutes away from "What happened to the music?" any time I need to be coordinating. How much faster things would come together if I didn't have to constantly interrupt with, "Hold on, let me mix this next song... I'll be right back." Then I could eliminate my "bathroom picklist" of 4+ min songs to mix in when the restroom is across the room, in the back, behind the line of people waiting for drinks at the cash bar.
deejdave 8:43 PM - 13 July, 2014
Quote:
Explanation of Use: I perform as a DJ/MC/Coordinator, which means I assist with the planning and execution (timeline, activities, special announcements, slideshows, etc.) for each event. Leading up to the "Dance Party" portion of the event, I host and coordinate, so I am constantly on the move and not always at my mixer.

While I am not saying they shouldn't put some effort into this feature I do find it difficult to swallow the fact that the reasoning for this feature to be added into this amazing DJ software never seems to have anything to do with DJing. The DJ software should only facilitate the workload for the DJ in full regards to DJing. Making a DJ application more automated so one can spend time doing other things (basically everything BUT DJing) does not seem like a good enough reason to me. Adding this will bring on a wave of other issues (as most updates do) as well as bring a torrent of inexperienced DJ's who will now move to Serato DJ after being attracted by the new auto-pilot features. This will distract the big picture more than anything. As I mentioned before I feel Serato SHOULD put SOME of their development efforts into this area but NOT for these reasons and also maintain a fine line which ensures it is always the DJ running the show and not their laptop.
deejdave 8:52 PM - 13 July, 2014
Quote:
which ensures it is always the DJ running the show and not their laptop.

Again this is the part that MUST be handled very carefully is all I'm saying. Figuring out the balance in not what CAN be done but what SHOULD be added is the hardest part IMO. Having a auto-play feature which eliminates gaps is by no means harmful. I 100% feel this is where it should end though as any further will bring on the problems which I brought up.

Also keep in mind (as with SYNC) this also has the potential to turn into a "gateway" to other potential expectations that could in fact ruin the integrity of the software.
winstonmeetsjulia 10:02 PM - 13 July, 2014
+1 Autoplay with adjustable crossfade (to eliminate gaps)

I also perform in a concept band as the DJ. I play the underlying tracks to the songs, mix in sound effects and vocal samples, and then DJ exclusively in between sets (while band is on break) to keep the party going. From start to finish, I go 4 to 6 hours without a break. One of our selling points is non-stop music... no need to switch back and forth to a house DJ or worse, a looped playlist of the same 10 songs between live sets.

At these gigs, gaps in the music is unacceptable. The one time I used Auto to grab a drink, the place was crowded and I didn't make it back... Everything should have been fine, except that there was probably about 5 seconds of silence (seamed like 30 to me!) because of trailing dead air on the previous track. Our band manager ran for my mixer thinking nothing was cued up... At the end of the night, after a great gig and getting rebooked for the next six months, I still had to listen to a quick version of the "it's important to keep the music going" commentary from the club GM.

Now, if we need to tweak a set list or anything else between sets, the band huddles around my mixer for the conversation. I have the base player trained to keep the mix going if I have to step away. Autoplay/Crossfade would really help out.
winstonmeetsjulia 11:02 PM - 13 July, 2014
We're all aware of your opinion as you've carefully tracked this thread and responded to every supporting post. But posting a rebuttal to every post with which you disagree by rewording the same opinions redundantly does not turn your perspective into the general consensus.

Quote:
The DJ software should only facilitate the workload for the DJ in full regards to DJing. Making a DJ application more automated so one can spend time doing other things (basically everything BUT DJing)

But earlier...

Quote:
I wouldn't dare go int the "unprofessional" argument as that is not at all what I am trying to portray an individual who want this. Define professional ya now what I'm saying?

My definition of DJing includes all of those other things that you consider "everything BUT DJing." Opinions tend to differ on this, as you implied in the second quote above.

Serato has not formally defined their target audience. They've created several versions of some great DJ software and continued to improve. As I stated earlier,

Quote:
"I'm primarily a 'wedding DJ.' If Serato DJ is interested in the 'wedding DJ' market (which they may not be), this feature is critical."

I'm merely supporting a feature I'd like to see implemented that several others have asked for as well. If they do, great! If not, I'll still use the software. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Quote:
...this will bring on a wave of other issues (as most updates do) as well as bring a torrent of inexperienced DJ's who will now move to Serato DJ after being attracted by the new auto-pilot features.

It seems to me that Serato, like most businesses, is looking to expand its market share. New business is usually considered a good thing. Only Serato knows the degree of exclusivity they're seeking. However, since the product line includes Serato DJ Intro, it looks like they're going after "inexperienced DJs" who will become loyal and continue to upgrade their software and buy new plugins as they get better.

You have a definite opinion of the direction, priorities, and specific end users you'd like Serato to have. Neither you or I - unless you have an inside connection - knows the extent to which you're right until they tell us. I'm offering only a feature suggestion with a detailed explanation of how I would use it, per the 'Feature Suggestions' forum instructions.
deejdave 12:25 AM - 14 July, 2014
Quote:
I'm offering only a feature suggestion with a detailed explanation of how I would use it, per the 'Feature Suggestions' forum instructions.

As stated I am all for it. It is not the concept I question here it is the reason behind it. You are entitled to this reasoning BUT as this is a public forum anyone is entitled to disagree with said reason as long as they are respectful and not rude about it.

Quote:
My definition of DJing includes all of those other things that you consider "everything BUT DJing." Opinions tend to differ on this, as you implied in the second quote above.

That is not at all even remotely close to what I was implying but I assume altering the meaning to suit your argument would be an option of necessity in this case. What I was saying was simply that wanting such a feature does not make someone less of a DJ. That seems to be the go-to argument from many and I just wanted to clear the air as there was some actual substance (or so I thought) to what I was trying to portray.

BTW In regard to past posts of mine let it be reminded I have never been against the addition as a whole just the timing, prioritizing & reasoning of this feature ALL of which are 100% based on opinions so no harm meant.

It would make sense to Keep the features of a DJ application (or at least THIS DJ application) directed at actual DJ's was the real point I was trying to make in my previous post/s. That is all. As I said I am all for adding any feature that helps out the workflow of a DJ but I am sorry if I don't agree with adding features to facilitate your wedding coordinator role. I don't mean this to sound like I am bashing you but this is just a response to your scenario specifically. Not trying to take anything from you either as I can tel you are proud of what you do.

Quote:
It seems to me that Serato, like most businesses, is looking to expand its market share. New business is usually considered a good thing. Only Serato knows the degree of exclusivity they're seeking. However, since the product line includes Serato DJ Intro, it looks like they're going after "inexperienced DJs" who will become loyal and continue to upgrade their software and buy new plugins as they get better.

As far as me having an opinion to the specific end users this may be partly true. Then again when I come across my fellow DJ and they say they use Serato it typically tells me something about them right away.
You make an excellent point and I see no issue in adding this to Serato DJ Intro. as that would absolutely solve both problems. OR maybe that was the exact purpose of Serato DJ Intro. I am just teasing here but the point is these two different applications targeting different DJ's. As you stated Neither you nor I have any real insight and can only guess as to the actual motives or direction of Seratobut there is no denying Serato would only benefit in bringing as many new DJ's as possible as they are a business first & foremost. One of the many things I like about Serato is the fact that they have the entry level software though as having this is a huge asset when handling DJ's who are just starting out. There is also no denying that along with these benefits there are and always will be detriments to this and this is where I draw the line in that I would be straying from the topic even further than i have already.

The reason I chose this among the few other posts to be most active is there are some real reasons and actual logic (yours included) as to how & why this should be implemented. I don't know how far you would like to see this go but as to the actual addition of this we are BOTH in agreement so good news there. I would say luckily the rest is just details but to stay on track we are a +2 to the addition of this feature agreed?
Mr Wilks 1:01 AM - 14 July, 2014
In our bar I leave my SL3 there as I do a 7 day-a-week residency there. It's pretty handy not setting up everything.

The bar opens at 10pm but I start later and running a playlist would be handy so when I take over I just 'play' and turn up the volume. No flipping to iTunes back and fourth etc.

I'd never hit auto play (not auto mix) in a club but in the bar I would if it got less busy and I'm needed (I also help manage it).

We can already do this in other freely available software but to build it in is more convenient as we can just take over as and when.

+1 from meeeee!
deejdave 2:26 AM - 14 July, 2014
Little side step but You ever make another attempt at SSL/Traktor import tool?
Mr Wilks 3:16 AM - 14 July, 2014
Quote:
Little side step but You ever make another attempt at SSL/Traktor import tool?

Oh yeah! Sorry deejdave, I actually got sidetracked on that as I've had my HDD fail on me while working in another country and it's been a nightmare as I had backups of music but not an HDD image so I've just installed a new HDD and will reinstall the OS from fresh. Once I start putting things back on I'll give it a test.

I really want to get both libraries in good sync.
deejdave 3:19 AM - 14 July, 2014
Ohhh man. Been there. I wouldn't even bother until you are where you want to be as a whole anyway. That way no need to re-sync anymore than necessary with regular updates & all. Still wanna know when you do get around to trying it though. Anyways sorry for side track carry on.............
winstonmeetsjulia 4:15 AM - 14 July, 2014
Quote:
I don't know how far you would like to see this go but as to the actual addition of this we are BOTH in agreement so good news there. I would say luckily the rest is just details but to stay on track we are a +2 to the addition of this feature agreed?

Agreed
chuckyp 8:23 AM - 25 November, 2014
+1 for autoplay settings and remove silence.

would use serato over vdj in a heartbeat if it wasn't for this...

sad serato not listening
Kmxorbit 1:40 PM - 7 December, 2014
Quote:
+1 for autoplay settings and remove silence.

Count me in!
sayyesdj 6:23 PM - 15 December, 2014
Since there are more mobile dj's who uses serato dj, autoplay needs to change :)

My suggestions are:
in autoplay has 2 parameters:
- first - time to start mix values from last 5 sec - 20 sec
- second - fade time mix values 1sec - 5 sec
When virtual deck 1 ending songs in virtual deck 2 load next song from the playlist.
Mike Butler 7:50 PM - 15 December, 2014
It'd be pretty simple for track analysis to find the end of the audio in the track then use that along with a tweakable offset to figure out when to start the crossfade. That way the auto-crossfade would work with the majority of tracks. Another option would be to add Fade-In and Fade-Out markers in the same way Traktor does.

As I've said before adding a feature doesn't mean everyone has to use it. For example, Serato has sync but I'm sure "proper" DJs would never, ever, ever use it ..... :)

Mike
Mike from Chicago 7:06 PM - 19 December, 2014
what has been working for me as a temporary solution is to set hot cues at the beginng of the song. i know youre wondering about sounds that have long endings (fade out or extra silence) this will help somewhat.
Vic Brown 4:30 PM - 4 January, 2015
I'm a full time DJ with a few different use cases: @ bars where im doing 5 or 6 hours and no-one is in for the first few hours, I can let it just play through until people come into the bar.

In nightclubs, I can set it to gapless autofade when i go to the toilet just in case i dont make it back in time

at Parties and Weddings when people are eating, I can set it and leave it/ go out side for a smoke.

Its a very useful feature, and the only thing stopping me from coming over from Traktor.

This would be so simple to add in, a setting where you could say, "xfade with 10 seconds remaining" and then an option for how quick the crossfade is.
musiclee 1:30 AM - 5 January, 2015
Deejdave.

Just because autoplay is not for YOU
Doesnt mean its not for ME or for US. :-)

If you were a wedding DJ you would understand the need for sure

Make it an option in settings thats all
It sthere for those who need it.

I currently use PCDJ Red/DEX for these times i need autoplay, "without gaps"
deejdave 2:08 AM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
As stated I am all for it. It is not the concept I question here it is the reason behind it. You are entitled to this reasoning BUT as this is a public forum anyone is entitled to disagree with said reason as long as they are respectful and not rude about it.
Mike Butler 8:12 AM - 5 January, 2015
My workaround for this is pretty simple, although obviously not ideal - if I need to provide background music I run Traktor then switch to SDJ once I'm at the point where I start playing individual tracks for the rest of the evening. For "toilet breaks" I have premixed song selections that I get from CD Pool with my monthly disks which are around 15 minutes long.

Obviously for the background music it'd be nice if SDJ could work like Traktor's cruise control where it fades from one song to the next across two decks

Mike
deejdave 5:46 PM - 5 January, 2015
In all honesty I think Rekordbox and Serato are the only two current applications who do not offer it.

Mixvibes
Traktor
Virtual DJ
iTunes
Djay

All do.

I always saw this as one of the better qualities of Serato TBH. It is not so much what you can do with it. I just don't want it to become another tool replacing DJ's in bar's etc. I know the DJ can never really be replaced as a whole or a concept. I mean if you want to rock a party nothing is more alive BUT let's not make it any easier for them................... is all I am saying.

I literally lose nothing or gain anything from this so this is why I wouldn't be miserable if it happened. It would apparently help a lot of DJ's out there too. Just keep it honorable is all................. I guess.

I also get that this is only one small step and does NOT fully replace anything but keep in mind ALL walks can be divided into small steps. There is NO denying it is a step on a dark path.

This is JUST like any tool out there. A hammer is a GREAT tool to have but in the arms of the wrong person? yah. A gun is (usually) a smart thing to have but in the arms of the wrong people? Same applies here. It can be VERY helpful but used the wrong way and DJ scratchNsniff will be out of a job. Promoters are ALWAYS looking for ways to squeeze out expenses................ so are mobile customers who are often looking to cut corners.

There are businesses in my area that simply set up a Numark or Denon gear and lights then....................... walk away. THIS is possible due to the software making it possible. Listen I am not afraid of technology or change but I just feel like facts across the boards are dangerous......................

DJ software having SYNC all of the sudden people think EVERYONE is using SYNC. The last thing I want "everyone" to know is that ALL DJ software can basically run itself in auto-pilot or auto-DJ.

Again Don't take this as anything but brainstorming. I have MULTIPLE times said I am for this. I can't say it any other way. I am just expressing the dangers that ARE real.

Is is fair to assume that everyone here is simply looking to remove the gaps or are we looking to have the software beat match for you, mix for you, do transitions/FX, and even pick the music for you using some sort of program or algorithm?
musiclee 7:03 PM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
In all honesty I think Rekordbox and Serato are the only two current applications who do not offer it.

Mixvibes
Traktor
Virtual DJ
iTunes
Djay

PCDJ does it too, Red and DEX, that's why I use it!!!
Mike Butler 8:36 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
I just don't want it to become another tool replacing DJ's in bar's etc. I know the DJ can never really be replaced as a whole or a concept. I mean if you want to rock a party nothing is more alive BUT let's not make it any easier for them................... is all I am saying.

OK ... unlike most of your comments that make sense (even if I don't agree lol) I'm really not sure about the logic there. If SDJ was the ONLY dj software that was available then keeping autoplay out might stop "amateur" DJs being able to play music during a dinner so more experienced DJs can stand and repeatedly press LOAD followed by PLAY, but Serato ISN'T the only DJ software. There are LOADS of DJ programs that people can use to do the same thing, so the only thing Serato is actually doing is pushing people towards VDJ, Traktor etc. Those are people who might otherwise buy SDJ, giving them more income so they can hire more people to update/fix the software.

"Let's make our product less user friendly so only professionals want to use it" isn't really a good business model. It'd be like Ford saying "ok, we had a gearbox on the Model-T that people could use after lots of practice. It had forward and reverse, and even a fast-forward gear. So why do we need a new-fangled six-speed fully auto gearbox? Let's leave that to all the other manufacturers and we'll still sell loads of cars to professionals like cab drivers, racing drivers etc". Think that'd work ?
Mike Butler 8:44 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Is is fair to assume that everyone here is simply looking to remove the gaps or are we looking to have the software beat match for you, mix for you, do transitions/FX, and even pick the music for you using some sort of program or algorithm?

For me it's just "remove the gaps, and fade from one track to another". I'd be quite happy if it only worked once you've set fade-in and fade-out markers on the tracks you want to play. I'm not looking to replace a DJ, just make life easier for me under certain specific circumstances

Lets be honest, if someone wants to play a dance set as an automated, automatically chosen, nicely faded/transitioned sequence they're going to go and buy one of the hundreds of "Deep House 3", "Anthems 2005" style CD sets which come with a "Mixed by DJ BlahBlah" selection.

Mike
Mr Wilks 3:03 PM - 6 January, 2015
For me, I used to keep my SL3 set up in the bar from 8pm as background music and I started at 10pm.

I had to switch to iTunes for that and would have been nice to have been able to have used Serato. I don't use iTunes for anything now and don't have it installed. If only I could have a crossfire time like in iTunes. I'd be happy with that. Nothing fancy just a system where I can leave Serato running on the house system.
SirTobi 5:33 PM - 6 January, 2015
+1 for Gapless Autoplay...

Since all the other Software does it, it doesn't help anybody working with Serato if Serato doesn't do it. (very basic logic)

it does help everybody working with Serato if Serato does something better then every other available software (also very basic logic)

Maybe you at Serato should just not do better then the others on this issue... Think about it...
deejdave 5:47 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I just don't want it to become another tool replacing DJ's in bar's etc. I know the DJ can never really be replaced as a whole or a concept. I mean if you want to rock a party nothing is more alive BUT let's not make it any easier for them................... is all I am saying.

OK ... unlike most of your comments that make sense (even if I don't agree lol) I'm really not sure about the logic there. If SDJ was the ONLY dj software that was available then keeping autoplay out might stop "amateur" DJs being able to play music during a dinner so more experienced DJs can stand and repeatedly press LOAD followed by PLAY, but Serato ISN'T the only DJ software. There are LOADS of DJ programs that people can use to do the same thing, so the only thing Serato is actually doing is pushing people towards VDJ, Traktor etc. Those are people who might otherwise buy SDJ, giving them more income so they can hire more people to update/fix the software.

"Let's make our product less user friendly so only professionals want to use it" isn't really a good business model. It'd be like Ford saying "ok, we had a gearbox on the Model-T that people could use after lots of practice. It had forward and reverse, and even a fast-forward gear. So why do we need a new-fangled six-speed fully auto gearbox? Let's leave that to all the other manufacturers and we'll still sell loads of cars to professionals like cab drivers, racing drivers etc". Think that'd work ?

It is NOT about Serato being the only one. It is about Serato being the only one left that does NOT..............

I am probably speaking for myself but HELL YEAH I would (and have) chosen the most professional DJ software. Again IMO they have throughout the years kept it minimal (there's your simple) yet effective.
deejdave 5:53 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Since all the other Software does it, it doesn't help anybody working with Serato if Serato doesn't do it. (very basic logic)

"Everybody's doing it" is this what I'm hearing? THIS is basic logic saying to do it? I don't think I need to post the saying that belongs here but it involves a bridge and jumping off it.

Again I am NOT against Auto-play. I am actually for it. I just refuse to put my head in the sand pretending this is not a gateway drug to literally like you said "becoming like everybody else"

WHY THE F are we here using Serato if we just want software like everybody else? I am not a purist and trust me when I say I am at the front lines of new gear & software. I will ALWAYS stick to my guns with the belief of just because you can do something does NOT mean you should. You should do it if you community is asking for it (as a whole) and as long as said features does not alienate those who have built you into what you. THAT is basic logic.
deejdave 6:07 PM - 6 January, 2015
One thing we should all agree on (and if you don't I urge you to visit the other sites and witness this phenomenon TEN fold) is that "the other" software is ALWAYS adding elements that we should.

Hardware reasons alone Serato is becoming the leader in traditional DJ applications. Traktor is leading towards live remixing & producing. VDJ is doing what they do. Rekordbox is the solution for the simple (often laptop free) DJ experience seamlessly tied to Pioneer gear.

THESE the reasons people will leave IMO.

The grass is always said to be greener on the other side but I am a user who likes to taste it all and I can vouch. I also try to get the best experience from them all with the best they have to offer. While they all have their uses TRUST me the "I'm leaving for _______" threats are happening and and a MUCH greater rate at the other forums. You almost can't go to any topic without hearing what Serato has, offers, or is doing.

I am getting a little off topic here (and ranting LOL) but the point is the last thing Serato SHOULD do is become a clone of the others and IMO they should just try to improve on themselves. I guess this attacks the motives and measures behind.

I will end this with a very simple item and I promise unless directly addressed you will not hear from me as I am sure I have said more than people want to hear on it already. Keep in mine when reading ALL that I had to say about it I was on board all along................ just cautious is all.

+1
Mike Butler 8:47 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
WHY THE F are we here using Serato if we just want software like everybody else?

For me, because the Serato software is gerally better or I'd still be using Traktor. The part of Serato which I like most is the beat gridding. I play a lot of older stuff which you can't grid with Traktor as it has no notion of multiple BPMs in a single track. Smart Crates are also FAR better than Traktor's playlists.

I don't think a better autoplay would make the software any worse, unless it destabilises the rest of the software and if that happens then there are serious problems with the software architecture.

Quote:
I promise unless directly addressed you will not hear from me...

Consider yourself addressed :) If everyone agreed all the time forums would be so boring!!

Mike
deejdave 9:56 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Consider yourself addressed :) If everyone agreed all the time forums would be so boring!!

Your damn right about that!!! :)

Quote:
For me, because the Serato software is gerally better or I'd still be using Traktor. The part of Serato which I like most is the beat gridding. I play a lot of older stuff which you can't grid with Traktor as it has no notion of multiple BPMs in a single track. Smart Crates are also FAR better than Traktor's playlists.

I 100000% agree with both of these actually. I actually hear frequently how Traktor got it right with both of these and believe it or not VDJ even more. I have always been fond of how Serato approached the library concept. To go a step further it was the one that made sense to be the grounds for ALL my editing etc. I SYNC everything to Traktor then to Rekordbox so I actually have a lot of library experience with them too and I've always found them to be too basic. I have a feeling many individuals tae a liking to them as they closely duplicate the iTunes library structure.
Quote:
I don't think a better autoplay would make the software any worse, unless it destabilises the rest of the software and if that happens then there are serious problems with the software architecture.

I do agree with this 100%. If it is a selectable item (via the setup menu) how could it hurt. I don't use SYNC but I again have no issues that it is there. In all honesty they should treat a bunch of items in this exact manner. Imaging having ONLY what you use taking up valuable real estate on the GUI.
djianl 12:43 PM - 10 January, 2015
I use Serato DJ at least 4 nights a week for an average of around 5-6 hours per night and I love the way it works but it is seriously missing autoplay!

As I said in the original post I don't want something that is going to mix me a full night, I just want something where if i'm doing a corporate event, or i'm in a club and need to go to the toilet that it would be nice to have the ability to have it fade or remove the silence at the end of a track.

I actually recently downloaded Virtual DJ 8 and whilst there are a lot of things I don't like on it, I have to say the Auto Play is amazing! I tested it out last week at one of my residencies and usually for the first 30 mins I will put on a Warmup Mix as nobody comes in that early. With Virtual DJ all I had to do was drag a few tracks across to the Playlist section and click autoplay. I could set points where it would mix in and mix out and I couldn't believe how well it worked! By no means a replacement for doing it live but certainly couldn't fault it.

It would be great if Serato could have a separate section like the Prepare window for Autoplay where we can drag in songs and re-order them as appropriate and perhaps there could be a setting for cue point 8 to be the marker where it fades out at a user defined time in seconds and starts the next track from cue point 1.

This is great for edits but obviously isn't going actually "beat mix" for you - which Virtual DJ will do.

Come on Serato gapless autoplay has got to be such a simple thing to add in!

Right i'm going to record some new "toilet mixes" for tonight :-)
Mr Wilks 5:12 PM - 10 January, 2015
Quote:
perhaps there could be a setting for cue point 8 to be the marker where it fades out at a user defined time in seconds and starts the next track from cue point 1.

This was how I envisaged it working too. By activating auto play you sacrifice cue 8 and use that as an outdoor marker to trigger the next track.

Gad to see we both had the sake idea there so must be logical.
deejdave 7:21 PM - 10 January, 2015
Quote:
This is great for edits but obviously isn't going actually "beat mix" for you - which Virtual DJ will do.

Exactly what I am looking to avoid. Gapless autoplay awesome. Your idea of cue point 8 being end point even better. Auto DJ is the concept I am looking to avoid. It seems we are all on the same page though.
musiclee 4:35 AM - 11 January, 2015
Please give us gapless auto play
I want to stop having to use PCDJ for the 1st hour of my gigs
musiclee 4:35 AM - 11 January, 2015
And between breaks when playing with my band.
Vic Brown 2:12 PM - 16 January, 2015
It doesnt even need to be that complicated, just a "set autofade at 10 seconds" option.
deejdave 5:21 PM - 16 January, 2015
Would not help. Not unless you edit all of your music and ensure there is only ten seconds of silence, etc. Some songs have a minute or more of useless space.
Vic Brown 5:31 PM - 16 January, 2015
It wouldn't be perfect but letting you set an "auto crossfade" time of between 3 and 30 seconds would work for 99.999% of mp3's.
djianl 8:09 PM - 16 January, 2015
When i have used this feature on Virtual DJ i tend to set up Edits of tracks in the sidelist and use the Fade (Remove Silence) option with a time of 1 second. If a song ends cold it cuts the next one in straight away, and if it's a song that fades out it cuts it once it gets too quiet and starts the next track. Just like the radio really!
deejdave 8:25 PM - 16 January, 2015
Quote:
It wouldn't be perfect but letting you set an "auto crossfade" time of between 3 and 30 seconds would work for 99.999% of mp3's.

Would definitely work more often than not but that is now already three times your original time of 10 seconds.
Quote:
When i have used this feature on Virtual DJ i tend to set up Edits of tracks in the sidelist and use the Fade (Remove Silence)

This here is what i was getting at and makes more sense. No need to input time if the software detects when the song cuts out itself.
musiclee 6:36 PM - 17 January, 2015
A simple 0-30 second configurable auto fade "mix" between decks option is all we need. Please Serato...
Kmxorbit 12:31 AM - 19 January, 2015
Please stop argueing about being afraid that this feature will undemine the need of a DJ. ITunes did not do that either with their simple transition function, and this is exactly what we need when playing background music.

I find this one of the most lacking feature on SDJ at this moment.
I hope serato set this on the the feature list for the next release.

Thnx!
musiclee 2:08 AM - 21 January, 2015
Just used SDJ for first time
I knew it didn't have gapless playback
But I was very surprised that it didn't have any AUTO playback

SSL has it
Why not SDJ?

Come on Serato, don't remove features
Keep them and improve on them!!!
deejdave 2:23 AM - 21 January, 2015
Bottom left of screen. It's been there for quite a while now.
deejdave 2:27 AM - 21 January, 2015
WAIT I didn't even pay attention to who this was. You JUST tried SDJ for the first time? SHAME!!! LOL. After reading your feedback on the AMX and some features from SDJ I was under the assumption you tried them both LOL
musiclee 5:35 AM - 21 January, 2015
I meant out at a job where i actually needed auto play. :-)
deejdave 7:23 AM - 21 January, 2015
Quote:
I meant out at a job where i actually needed auto play. :-)

Ahh yeah it IS there though so yay!! :)
musiclee 1:51 PM - 21 January, 2015
Ye it is.

I was used to seeing it top left

Now call it AUTOPLAY+ and give us what "we" want
musiclee 1:01 PM - 28 January, 2015
Bring it in 1.7.4 or 1.8 whichever comes first. :-)
DJD-Money 4:37 PM - 29 January, 2015
Yes this is exactly what i need Serato dj to do i have been asking this for years and they don't listen this is a basic feature that Winamp had in the early 90's this cant be heard to add and i don't want to hear anything about this program being for turntable DJS because i am one of them and when i do a wedding there is gaps and when people ask me what do i hate about Serato dj this is the number 1 thing i tell every dj just use a VDJ for cocktail hour because they Don't care about mobile dj's i have a serious question is there any djs that work at serato because the only way something gets added to the software is if millions of people ask for it why can't you just look at the competition software and at least ad basic features

serato user for a long time

CAPS LOCK +1!!!
musiclee 8:32 PM - 29 January, 2015
just make it an option in settings, "0-30 seconds"
those who need it use it,
those who don't, uncheck that option or choose, "0 seconds" (same as current autoplay)
musiclee 8:51 PM - 29 January, 2015
and here's taking this one step further serato.com
DJ Jeff Nec 1:01 AM - 22 October, 2015
I absolutely love Serato. I've been using it since ITCH in 2011, with Numark V7s. Now I use the Pioneer DDJ and Numark NS6.

I've been a DJ since the mid 80s, mostly mobile but lots of club work as well.
Serato is absolutely the best for mixing.

However, since 1999, I have been using an Australian DJ software. It's called OTS AV.
It is hands down the absolute best software for mobile jocks, in regards to cocktail hour, dinner time and all downtime when people are not dancing.
They created this advanced algorithm that auto fades the songs one into another seamlessly. It knows when a song ends hard or when it fades out.

I'm not talking beat mixing. That I do manually for my dance sets.

I highly recommend it for all my fellow mobile DJs who need seamless fade ins and fade outs during downtime...

Try the free 30-day trial at home to see what I'm talking about.
www.otsav.com
Serato should license this technology. It's awesome!
pudpoh 8:49 PM - 23 October, 2015
I would also like to see this feature added to Autoplay, especially for background dinner music, in my case not so much for automatically blending one track into another as that isn't really what this is about but so a pre-mixed type CD like some of the Mastermix and DMC stuff can be played correctly in Serato if added to a crate. As it stands where 2 tracks are supposed to blend in to each other where you have a running mix between 2 songs, Serato leaves a gap which spoils the playback of such albums, it sounds horrendous!

I believe the gap is created in the time that it takes for Serato to load the next track into memory and then start playback, why not have it load the next track before it reaches the end and join it onto the end of the currently playing track thus preventing these gaps in playback, once playback has moved onto the next track the previous track can then be freed from memory and the next track loaded into memory ready for a smooth transition.

This in my opinion is a very basic function for a mobile DJ that Serato seems to have currently overlooked, I regularly use such mixes during dinner and at the moment have to resort to playing them from CD for them to play correctly.
acemc 9:57 AM - 4 November, 2015
+1
viper9711 9:11 PM - 4 November, 2015
+1
GruVe 2:08 PM - 8 November, 2015
+1 for me to.

90% of my professional gigs require at least 2 hours of cocktail/dinner music and I'd much rather have the ability to program my own song selection rather than use a premix cd, or suffer through the gaps. I'm certain this feature would be welcomed and praised as reflected in previous posts, and highly doubt it would take away from SERATO's reputation. Real DJ's love to spin and be creative when the party starts, that's ingrained in us. This feature would only serve as an added benefit when required.

My 2 cents...
Cwite 3:31 PM - 8 November, 2015
I will +1 this too.

GruVe is 100% spot on! Any moblie gig you need the freedom to leave the decks. Talk to a bride, event organiser etc. I had an unusaul problem at a gig last night that would have made this very helpful. I was on the club floor of a 3 tier venue. Moments after we opened the doors to the floor (tunes already spinning) i was asked to run down stairs to the main bar with the back up mixer and set it up because theirs had just failed. People were already in my room but not dancing. I got around it by showing a scared looking bouncer what to do with my stuff whilst I helped out, but a gapless auto play (i'm not after an auto mix) would have been very useful. Especially to the bouncer :-)
Mr Wilks 6:25 PM - 8 November, 2015
I think we should have an option in setup that says "gapless playback" and when we check the box we get 7 cues instead of 8.

The last cue (No.8) is a marker we can drop towards the end of the song (or wherever we want really) and triggers the next track to come in from the first cue pont (No.1).

A simple solution that we control ourselves. If we want gapless playback we lose a cue point and if we don't we lose nothing.

This way we can go through a crate and drop cues on the end of tracks when we want them.
deejdave 11:22 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
A simple solution that we control ourselves. If we want gapless playback we lose a cue point and if we don't we lose nothing.

Probably best to have both options where you can select this method in case the primary (IMO) method in which the software detects the silence automatically fails. This way you are only required to "adjust" the songs that do not get detected 100% as you would want. Thus eliminating a ton of work on the assumption the software gets most of them right................. which it should.
Mike Butler 11:34 PM - 8 November, 2015
That's pretty much how the Traktor solution works. If there are Fade In/Out points in a track they're used, otherwise it uses start and end. It does a crossfade in both cases, with the second track preloaded into the opposite deck from the playing track. This auto-crossfade takes care of most tracks. And before the "but that's not being a real DJ crowd" jump in here, it's a basic crossfade, not a beat matched fade that'll take jobs from "real" DJs :)

Mike
Mr Wilks 11:49 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
That's pretty much how the Traktor solution works. If there are Fade In/Out points in a track they're used, otherwise it uses start and end. It does a crossfade in both cases, with the second track preloaded into the opposite deck from the playing track. This auto-crossfade takes care of most tracks. And before the "but that's not being a real DJ crowd" jump in here, it's a basic crossfade, not a beat matched fade that'll take jobs from "real" DJs :)

Mike

For the Traktor way to be implemented there would have to be a mixer built in and SDJ doesn't have one as of yet. Fingers croseed we get one but gapless kinda relies on the crossfading between the two active decks.

Quote:
Quote:

Probably best to have both options where you can select this method in case the primary (IMO) method in which the software detects the silence automatically fails. This way you are only required to "adjust" the songs that do not get detected 100% as you would want. Thus eliminating a ton of work on the assumption the software gets most of them right................. which it should.

This would need a 'look ahead' unless there's points taken into consideration when scanning the gain of the track. A software mixer would have to be included if there was a crossfade time involved.
If you was to build a playlist. Using the Traktor way of dropping an out point at the end is nothing really, on a 50 track playlist for quieter times.

It's a lot of work when you look at the logistics. I'd love and voiced how much I wanted it in the past it but can see why they aren't in a hurry.
Mike Butler 12:10 AM - 9 November, 2015
Serato can do auto gain levelling, so it must have some way of adjusting the volume of a playing track internally. Not sure how the el-cheapo controllers like the Mixtrack Edge work - do they have two genuine audio output channels and the faders are real faders, or are the faders simply controllers and the volume levels are done in software? I'd have thought the latter, especially as they have no EQ controls or anything like that.

The lookahead would probably be needed yes, but if the next track was loaded into the opposite deck then there's plenty of time to do it at that point. Realistically it'd only need to be done once then stored in the file with all the other Serato tags.

Might be a bit of work in there, but not impossible. I'd love to be able to run Serato on both laptops, but at the minute one runs Traktor purely for the "cruise" feature

Mike
Mr Wilks 3:27 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Serato can do auto gain levelling, so it must have some way of adjusting the volume of a playing track internally. Not sure how the el-cheapo controllers like the Mixtrack Edge work - do they have two genuine audio output channels and the faders are real faders, or are the faders simply controllers and the volume levels are done in software? I'd have thought the latter, especially as they have no EQ controls or anything like that.

The lookahead would probably be needed yes, but if the next track was loaded into the opposite deck then there's plenty of time to do it at that point. Realistically it'd only need to be done once then stored in the file with all the other Serato tags.

Might be a bit of work in there, but not impossible. I'd love to be able to run Serato on both laptops, but at the minute one runs Traktor purely for the "cruise" feature

Mike

Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear how Serato would tackle it.

Fingers crossed they read it and get an idea planned at some point. It's useful for the early shift.
pudpoh 12:34 PM - 20 November, 2015
I think there is some confusion here between what I would consider as gapless autoplay and automix. I very much doubt Serato will add an automix function and to be honest it isn't what I was asking for. What I want is for Serato to play back an album as it is intended to be played without introducing silence in between every track. This ruins the playback of any pre mixed album such as DMC and Master mix releases which are very useful for background music during dinner. I shouldn't have to resort to playing the cd of these albums so they are played correctly. It should be able to play it from a crate correctly as the creator intended it to be played.
djgaryc 1:26 PM - 26 November, 2015
Silence removed at endnof tracks is excellent idea to allow auto pay to have a simple cross fade.

Excellent for back grounds.

If you want to let auto mix dj your night, then your customer needs to be using an iPad saving lots on a good DJ.

I'd love to see this feature for background ideas now I use a controller and not CDJ'S
Dj Geoff 6:05 PM - 2 September, 2016
Hey there dj geoff. I find the gapless auto play would be a awesome feature. I'm a country dj at the hottest country dance club in nashville tennessee. I have to talk alot on microphone so I have to drink alot of water to keep throat wet. That being said djing 7pm to 3 am I need a bathroom break every so often. I have to weave thru a crowded bar to do so. Would be really helpful in case I didn't make it back before next track. Also I don't go live till 9 pm so I need a play list for first 2 hours for people to listen to music while they drink. I just think this feature would benefit us. Not everyone is top 40 dj. My equipment is club owned. He doesn't want a bunch of programs loaded up on computer.
AKIEM 6:05 PM - 3 September, 2016

There are too many easy solutions compared to other needed features.

And this would be a horrible direction to take the software. The fact that we have to try and delineate between "gapless autoplay" and "auto-mix" yet here it is being suggested shows that what a larger majority of people out there actually just want just "automix". There is no reason to stop short of developing full automix if this is going to be developed - all the same arguments would apply. If "gapless autoplay" was developed the next request will be full Automix. There is just not a strong enough need to move the software in that direction.
deejdave 8:26 PM - 3 September, 2016
Quote:
My equipment is club owned. He doesn't want a bunch of programs loaded up on computer.

When you say equipment do are you talking the laptop itself as well?
acemc 2:57 PM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
There is no reason to stop short of developing full automix if this is going to be developed

There certainly is........
Many serato users are completely against 'auto-mix'.....
"What Serato has Auto-mix? It's the end of Dj'ing as we know it! I'm gonna switch software!!"
By giving us a gapless play feature, it helps keep most serato users happy.
Also developing a full on auto mix feature would require a lot more time & effort, making this feature request less likely to ever see the light of day.
Let's not be greedy, simply allowing the next track to start without having the 5sec's of silence will be very welcome. It shouldn't be too difficult for serato to implement it either.
AKIEM 9:54 PM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
There is no reason to stop short of developing full automix if this is going to be developed

There certainly is........
Many serato users are completely against 'auto-mix'.....
"What Serato has Auto-mix? It's the end of Dj'ing as we know it! I'm gonna switch software!!"

Im talking about logically. As I said - all the same arguments apply - to - implementing 'auto cross fade'

Wouldn't it sound even better if it also faded between songs?

Quote:

By giving us a gapless play feature, it helps keep most serato users happy.

Most users probably dont use it too often if ever.

Quote:

Also developing a full on auto mix feature would require a lot more time & effort, making this feature request less likely to ever see the light of day.

I dont think so. The difference between pushing the cross fader at the end of the song and skipping to the next is minimal.

Quote:

Let's not be greedy, simply allowing the next track to start without having the 5sec's of silence will be very welcome. It shouldn't be too difficult for serato to implement it either.

So will auto-fade, and so will auto-mix. and plenty of people will not be happy until we get to that point. People want the the computer to do the work for them - thats what this is about.

Maybe they should just go ahead and implement full auto play, with auto sync and auto selection. Just get it over with - make everyone happy - thats the direction we are headed.
acemc 11:09 PM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
Maybe they should just go ahead and implement full auto play, with auto sync and auto selection. Just get it over with - make everyone happy

You're the one asking for auto-fade. So I really don't understand what you're saying now.
Are you for or against this feature request??
Personally, I don't care about auto-fade. I just want the silence removed between each track.
Quote:
thats the direction we are headed.

This request was made in Jan 2014, so if we are heading in that direction,
I'll probably be in an old age home by the time Serato decide to implement it.
AKIEM 11:18 PM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe they should just go ahead and implement full auto play, with auto sync and auto selection. Just get it over with - make everyone happy

You're the one asking for auto-fade.

um. No I'm not.

Quote:

So I really don't understand what you're saying now.
Are you for or against this feature request??
Personally, I don't care about auto-fade. I just want the silence removed between each track.
Quote:
thats the direction we are headed.

This request was made in Jan 2014, so if we are heading in that direction,
I'll probably be in an old age home by the time Serato decide to implement it.

yup

problem solved :-)
acemc 9:55 AM - 5 September, 2016
Quote:
problem solved :-)

Lol - Well, that takes care of my confusion.
AKIEM 6:13 PM - 7 September, 2016
acemc 4:26 AM - 8 September, 2016
There we go - problem solved ;)
Dj Geoff 8:21 PM - 12 September, 2016
Deejdave yes he bought a new Mac computer and a denon mcx8000 mixer that stays there.
deejdave 8:30 PM - 12 September, 2016
Quote:
Deejdave yes he bought a new Mac computer and a denon mcx8000 mixer that stays there.

Got it. Are you using an external library (external HDD) or is this community music stored on the laptops internal. Just curious :)
Dj Geoff 8:33 PM - 12 September, 2016
It's a 27 inch Mac all in one. He downloads all the music incase who ever djing leaves his music stays there.
deejdave 8:44 PM - 12 September, 2016
Quote:
It's a 27 inch Mac all in one. He downloads all the music incase who ever djing leaves his music stays there.

Got ya. How does he keep DJ's from not "fattening up" the computer with SW etc? FTR I can completely relate to how he would not want a plethora of SW cluttering things up. As a DJ showing up to this spot I would not want this either. I mean I would only trust my laptop for my primary use (totally different topic LOL) but nice to have a backup solution you can trust etc.
deejdave 8:45 PM - 12 September, 2016
In other words I would want to rely on one DJ app especially at any given time.
pudpoh 9:38 AM - 1 October, 2016
Here is what is wrong, take a CD like a Mastermix Grandmaster or one of the DMC offerings, you rip this to your drive as individual tracks and you then put them into a crate. As it stands Serato DJ cannot play this album as intended, these albums are very useful for a Mobile DJ during the period where nobody wants to dance because they have just arrived and are usually busy tucking into a buffet. With such an album Serato DJ introduces gaps in between the tracks totally destroying the playback of it. All I'm asking for is for Serato DJ to play such albums in the correct manor as they would on a normal CD player.

I don't want it to auto mix for me or auto fade.

The current work arounds for this are:

Play said album with something like foobar2000 and come out of the headphone jack into a spare channel on the mixer, not ideal but possible...

Play said album from the original CD, fine if you want to carry some CDs with you and a CD player, really shouldn't be necessary in this day and age should it? Any decent media player should be able to handle this type of album playback.

Merge all the individual tracks into one huge file and then play it with Serato DJ, this works and is my current work around, but it doesn't make it easy to jump into the album at a specific track without adding a load of cue points to it.
LucaPedonese 10:35 AM - 27 October, 2016
+1
DJ Chris Anthony 11:52 AM - 29 October, 2016
Would love to see a gapless playback option because of my weddings. I find it incredible that DJ Ego has a problem with anything but having a piece of software that will allow professional DJ's to do their job well. Who cares if a DJ wants to auto play. They will never be good at what they do if they chose to do that. Gapless play and auto mix in my opinion are viable options to add if a customer requires it. This is not about dumbing down DJ skills, its about providing a simple solution to a genuine need. Serato should deal with this matter quickly because when I have to put on background music, I have to use completely different hardware and software to do it. How rediculous!
AKIEM 4:33 PM - 29 October, 2016
You mean DJs who want the computer to do their job for them....

lol
Hanginon 10:14 PM - 29 October, 2016
Quote:

No, he means DJ's that have a computer that works for them, not vice versa.

When I load a song in Serato, it automatically eliminates dead space at the beginning of the song. Akiem, since you obviously don't want the computer to do the job for you, mind telling us how you turn off this (what I consider important) feature?

All that the people in this thread are asking for is to have Serato do the same thing at the end of the file that it already does at the beginning, and make it optional for DJ's (like you) who do like to work for the computer.
AKIEM 4:29 PM - 30 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

No, he means DJ's that have a computer that works for them, not vice versa.
yeah, the computer does the work. Job=Work so we don't disagree there, you guys want the computer to do your job.

The reverse of that? I guess I do 'work for the computer' and all my equipment really. I earn, money and buy it. Don't we all do that? I guess unless you stole your equipment. lol

Quote:

When I load a song in Serato, it automatically eliminates dead space at the beginning of the song. Akiem, since you obviously don't want the computer to do the job for you, mind telling us how you turn off this (what I consider important) feature?
sure, you can change that in the Settings.

Quote:

All that the people in this thread are asking for is to have Serato do the same thing at the end of the file that it already does at the beginning, and make it optional for DJ's (like you) who do like to work for the computer.

Nothing wrong with doing my job.

But I think the people in this thread actually would like the computer to automatically do the work for them. That is, press start and go off to eat buffet or whatever.

I dont think this particular software should be designed to manage that. Just my opinion of course, but I dont hold the same opinion about other software. And there is plenty of it out there avaialable which does exactly whats being asked for here.

cheers
PolishKluubMafia 10:14 PM - 20 November, 2016
+1
pudpoh 10:16 PM - 30 November, 2016
I've tried to explain what I wanted so many times but so many of you here seem to miss the point entirely. All I'm asking for is for Serato DJ to play a CD that is mixed that has been ripped as individual tracks to be played as it were intended to be played without adding additional gaps in between every single song and ruining the playback of the album. A lot of DMC and Mastermix stuff is like this, it is a continuous mix and if you rip the cd as individual tracks Serato DJ can't play the album.

I'm not asking for it to do my job for me and mix the music for me, I'm pretty good at doing that myself I just want it play an album in the way it was intended to be played when it is in a crate and you press the autoplay button.
deejdave 10:34 PM - 30 November, 2016
Not trying to take anything away or deter but wouldn't ripping the source music exactly the way it was recorded be a solution here. If there are any gaps (silence) in the track it was added while ripping, no?
pudpoh 10:40 PM - 30 November, 2016
Not when it's ripped correctly with something like Exact Audio Copy with the correct settings it literally creates an exact image of the CD. The issue is the way Serato DJ handles the playback, they play fine if you use something like Foobar2000 or believe it or not the built in music player with Win 10, Groove Music.

Serato DJ needs to open the next track and start loading and caching it before the previous track ends, the issue is the time it takes Serato to load the next track.
deejdave 11:02 PM - 30 November, 2016
Hmm I honestly did not know this. The next track plays so fast I just assumed it was seamless. I understand the SW does not autodetect lack of audio (silence) but that was as far as it went so I though.
deejdave 11:04 PM - 30 November, 2016
I just don't have much experience with recorded mixes I guess.
pudpoh 11:30 PM - 30 November, 2016
The only work around is to merge all the files into one large file, it then plays fine but you lose the ability to jump in at a certain track.
AKIEM 11:43 PM - 30 November, 2016
Try the public beta
PolishKluubMafia 10:21 AM - 7 December, 2016
Quote:
The only work around is to merge all the files into one large file, it then plays fine but you lose the ability to jump in at a certain track.

Shouldn't have too really which is the main point of the thread
Culprit 12:12 AM - 8 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Shouldn't have too really which is the main point of the thread

Its a feature suggestion, it aint law yet, so that's the work around dude. It's noted. Get other dj's to chime in and help us make it law instead of arguing with us about it.
BARRY SCOTT 4:58 AM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:

A bit hard of think are we? Isn't that what cue points are reet good for?
PolishKluubMafia 1:06 PM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
<div><strong></strong>
The only work around is to merge all the files into one large file, it then plays fin

I am not arguing with anyone, my point was directed at the software not the workaround
Sami Puola 2:42 AM - 25 December, 2016
If you wanna gapless / autocrossfading software for background/coctail/dinner music, use WinAmp. If you wanna DJ, use SDJ. Very simple. That's how I have solved this issue.
Mike Butler 6:51 PM - 26 December, 2016
It's a shame we still have to rely on workarounds when it'd be so simple to add this in software like pretty much all the other DJ programs out there. That way instead of people going to Traktor/VDJ because SDJ is missing an important feature they'll stay with SDJ and increase the user base

Mike
DJPaps 3:25 AM - 25 June, 2017
I'm just thinking... For the meantime.... Using iTunes with the crossfire option on, while also having Serato open to switch back and forth quickly if need be for dancing portion or quick mixing of requests. because you can set the global output of the computer to the controller this is possible.

I found that having to switch between VDJ and then to Serato,especially if it needs to be in a pinch, is time consuming and sometimes modifies my controllers settings.

Also. If I'm in Serato than switch back to VDJ, it pretty much screws everything and I have to turn the controller on and off again.

Thoughts?
AKIEM 4:49 AM - 28 June, 2017
iTunes, great idea!
DJ Nostalgia 8:14 AM - 13 August, 2017
+1000

... As a(n) (laborious) alternative, could you edit the intro/outro 'dead air' from your files using something like Audacity? - Not really an option (for me, at least) with a 10000+ track library!!!
DJ Nostalgia 8:23 AM - 13 August, 2017
Quote:
... Please try to understand that bringing up VDJ in an argument FOR a feature is not all that appealing... IF people wanted what VDJ has to offer they would use VDJ... This and other features like this is exactly what sets Serato apart from them and getting more like them is not exactly a step in the right direction...

- Except where a 'feature' would improve the useability 100%...!

I really don't understand your argument AGAINST adding this feature deejdave - whether as a Setup option, or a purchased add-in???
JamieCastle 8:58 PM - 13 August, 2017
i made a request for 'end markers' a couple of years back...
serato.com

it would pretty much do the same thing.
deejdave 3:43 AM - 14 August, 2017
............. Almost four years later and I still have to quote myself............

Quote:

RIF
DJPaps 7:41 PM - 15 August, 2017
... As a(n) (laborious) alternative, could you edit the intro/outro 'dead air' from your files using something like Audacity? - Not really an option (for me, at least) with a 10000+ track library!!!

yeah, as of yesterday i broke 22,000 songs so that's def not going to work. It's just even if i edited the dinner music it still harsh cut from one to the next unless i manually fade myself.
Hanginon 11:39 AM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:

yeah, as of yesterday i broke 22,000 songs so that's def not going to work. It's just even if i edited the dinner music it still harsh cut from one to the next unless i manually fade myself.

I use mp3DirectCut. It has a batch editing option that will do it automatically -
mpesch3.de1.cc

Also, unlike Audacity or other editors, it cuts the mp3 directly so there is no loss in fidelity. Unfortunately, this is a Windows only program.
Clubber1970 8:05 AM - 18 November, 2017
Rekordbox DJ just implemented that feature in the last public version 5.1
I hope Serato will do the same in the upcoming new release 2.0
popnwave 11:52 PM - 19 November, 2017
Quote:
Rekordbox DJ just implemented that feature in the last public version 5.1
I hope Serato will do the same in the upcoming new release 2.0

That new RB is still in beta give it time.
M@rtino 10:16 PM - 28 February, 2018
No they did not put the feature in the new release 2.0........... Maybe the next update.

It would be great to set the fade point on automix so the track is going over smooth into the next one with no pause.

Automix is usefull for the beginning of the evening or background music.

Still waiting for it and if it's there Serato does it all :-)
DJ Nostalgia 7:58 PM - 17 March, 2018
SDJ already has 'Autoplay' as a 'selectable option'.
All most people want is to be able to set a point at which Track A blends into Track B - the obvious option would be when the volume of Track A drops below a certain level - thus avoiding 'dead air' when using 'Autoplay', e.g. for 'comfort breaks' or as background music.
DJPaps 5:06 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
SDJ already has 'Autoplay' as a 'selectable option'.
All most people want is to be able to set a point at which Track A blends into Track B - the obvious option would be when the volume of Track A drops below a certain level - thus avoiding 'dead air' when using 'Autoplay', e.g. for 'comfort breaks' or as background music.

I was thinking more the way apps crossfade tracks like in spotify, itunes or even in virtual dj (which i use if i'm doing weddings, corporate events for dinner/cocktail music before dancing)
DJ Nostalgia 4:39 PM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:
...even iTunes does a simple crossfade... it can't be difficult!

+1000%
DJ Nostalgia 4:41 PM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:
I was thinking more the way apps crossfade tracks like in spotify, itunes or even in virtual dj (which i use if i'm doing weddings, corporate events for dinner/cocktail music before dancing)

+1000%
djWormUp 1:26 PM - 28 August, 2018
+2000 ;)
MR DJ CPT 12:52 PM - 2 December, 2019
Hello all

I am new to serato but during a wedding or the begin of a party you should be able just to select a few songs that you are not going to play later on( e.g radio edits ) of pop songs rekordbox does a automix which is pretty good and so does virtual dj so why cant serato do something similar
deejdave 1:13 PM - 2 December, 2019
It does. It is called the prepare window. That is of course assuming you meant "ARE going to play" instead of "NOT"............
MR DJ CPT 3:58 PM - 2 December, 2019
Hello Dave I am not sure what you are trying to say ,but if you play 1 hour sets at different clubs in one night YES then automix is not for you BUT if you doing a wedding and the guest are eating you should be play background music only so why not use automix In my case I play in a pub 1st I get the sound going continuous play in serato ,( NOT THE BEST WAY ) then I do my lighting , that is me so what is gapless play please explain
deejdave 11:24 PM - 2 December, 2019
Ahh got ya. Not saying I agree (I don't) but I see what you are looking for. I suppose if Serato was trying to be Rekordbox or VDJ (They are not) then it would be a guarantee. I personally like the fact that all SW is different and if we are being honest this isn't really a DJ request. It is an anything but DJing request as all this will do is allow you to not DJ if I am correct????
MR DJ CPT 4:19 AM - 3 December, 2019
I would be nice to have option, if you bought a car ( vehicle ) i has power steering, electric window, air con e.g the other same car has none which one would you choose
AKIEM 5:54 PM - 3 December, 2019
we don't need DJs anymore
deejdave 11:55 PM - 3 December, 2019
Quote:
I would be nice to have option, if you bought a car ( vehicle ) i has power steering, electric window, air con e.g the other same car has none which one would you choose

You are asking for auto-pilot not cruise control............ I would NOT choose the on with Auto-pilot but that is me.
MR DJ CPT 3:57 AM - 4 December, 2019
Dave Dave Dave we are almost in 2020 serato have been around long enough (2006 )to give the customer OPTIONS, I like my settings like this , you don't just click a box that why I am complaining so, in Rekordbox you had many options so Top DJ and a local Dj like me could use the same software Just by option setting