DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Noisy crossfader annoying roomates

Robert W 5:29 PM - 9 January, 2014
Yeah, so my roomates have interupted my night time practice sessions complaining about the clicking noisrs my crossfader makes while slamming into the fader stops while im scratching. I just use my headphones during late night sessions so the music wont disturb them, but i need to fix this issue and make my xfader quieter. I use a Numark pro SM3, so the face plate comes off easy. Is there something softer i can glue to the edges of the xfader slot so its not slamming into metal? Im busy during the day, so night is the only time i have to practice.
DJ Remy USA 5:36 PM - 9 January, 2014
Faders click sorry its just how they are you can scratch slowly and work on technique during quiet hours cause the fader clicks no matter what
DJ Shameless 7:40 PM - 9 January, 2014
djparts.net

not sure if numark has these but for vestax they work nicely for noise reduction
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:03 PM - 9 January, 2014
Quote:
Yeah, so my roomates have interupted my night time practice sessions complaining about the clicking noisrs my crossfader makes while slamming into the fader stops while im scratching. I just use my headphones during late night sessions so the music wont disturb them, but i need to fix this issue and make my xfader quieter. I use a Numark pro SM3, so the face plate comes off easy. Is there something softer i can glue to the edges of the xfader slot so its not slamming into metal? Im busy during the day, so night is the only time i have to practice.
the easiest way to fix this problem would be to get a newspaper, fold it backwards enough times to see the wanted adds and then use the numbers you find there and your phone to find roommates who arent such pussys
Gio Alex 9:57 PM - 9 January, 2014
Quote:
see the wanted adds and then use the numbers you find there and your phone to find roommates who arent such pussys

This.
phatbob 10:22 PM - 9 January, 2014
To be fair to your roommates, that Numark fader does have the loudest, most metallic click on the planet.

Surprised your neighbours don't complain, to be honest... ;)
Detroitbootybass 10:34 PM - 9 January, 2014
Why don't you cut and affix (glue maybe?) a piece of foam to deaden the sound? Wherever the crossfader is hitting (on the faceplate) would be where you'd want to put the foam. It would have to be a dense foam so that it wouldn't be too thick as to affect the cut-in. Not sure how well it would work on that mixer, but it's certainly easier than moving. At least that's what I would try to do first.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:08 AM - 10 January, 2014
Don't use headphones, turn the music up, let them complain about that and pick one...
DJ Remy USA 12:36 AM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Don't use headphones, turn the music up, let them complain about that and pick one...

exactly
Dj Shamann 12:37 AM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
the easiest way to fix this problem would be to get a newspaper, fold it backwards enough times to see the wanted adds and then use the numbers you find there and your phone to find roommates who arent such pussys

LOL

When I did this TV show a bunch of years back it was a nightmare because of my fader clicks over dialog (which was more like a hammer on steel with microphones), so they removed the faceplate (production mixer) and put little foam pieces on either side of the fader and it made a big difference, I adjusted my fader curve a tad and it was just like normal.

You'd probably want to come up with a removable solution on the actual faceplate and do the same just for late night practice time.
DJ VEE 5:27 PM - 10 January, 2014
Could you use it with the faceplate removed altogether ?
Or, I'm wondering if you could put a few pieces of electrical tape vertically on each side of the cross fader perpendicular to the crossfader and overlap where the fader hits the faceplate by about a 1/16 of an inch or so. As you use the crossfader, it will bend the tape in to the groove an eliminate ,(or drastically reduce), the clicking.
The tape would remove easily when you don't need it, and put a few more pieces when you practice at night. You would need about 3-4 layers. That should keep the tape from ripping but cause it to fold in and remove easily.
Just a thought.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:55 PM - 10 January, 2014
I think the move here is obvious. Get your roomates shitty drunk then fuck their girlfriends....record that shit, look dead in the camera and say click click click click (no kayne). Do this and one of two things will happen 1) they will move out and baaam no complaining 2) Theyll want to become djs to pull epic shit like that and theyll be so busy practising 3 click flares they wont have time to complain
DJ VEE 7:04 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
I think the move here is obvious. Get your roomates shitty drunk then fuck their girlfriends....record that shit, look dead in the camera and say click click click click (no kayne). Do this and one of two things will happen 1) they will move out and baaam no complaining 2) Theyll want to become djs to pull epic shit like that and theyll be so busy practising 3 click flares they wont have time to complain

Sounds better than my tape idea.
Do that instead.
DJUnknown 8:12 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

^^^Classic!
eugguy 9:04 PM - 10 January, 2014
Put your mic right next to the crossfader. Turn your speakers on full blast. Click away!
djcrap 10:17 PM - 10 January, 2014
How bout just buy those tuds. Ear plugs

Next time they complain just hand them ear plugs
AIRX ONE 1:39 AM - 11 January, 2014
lol by roommates you are saying mom and dad … cuz you pay rent I'm sure if it is roommates next time they say something about the clicking turn the volume up … tell them to fuck offend Let no one stand in the way of something you love … unless you love them i.e. mom and dad in that case its there rules
the_black_one 2:33 AM - 11 January, 2014
have you taken your roommates to the doctors to have the sand removed from their vaginas?

NM NH
HoodrealmRecords 4:43 PM - 17 March, 2015
Try this:

www.myimg.de
www.myimg.de
www.myimg.de
www.myimg.de
www.myimg.de

Now my girlfriend is sleeping while im scratching...
Eu4ya 11:13 PM - 28 October, 2015
You will need:

1x cigarette
1x tape

Instructions:

1) Take the cigarette and pull out the filter. (RIP ciggy)
2) Strip it into thin layers. (not too thin)
3) Tape the ciggy filter strip onto each side of the fader. (make sure the strip invades the fader gap)
4) Keep it up.