Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Pro Tip: Copying Crates to a USB Flash Drive

8:51 AM, 1 Jan 2014
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
Jacques Lavoisier 11:54 AM - 1 January, 2014
Thanks. Does this move export the hot cues, loops etc. for each track of the crate as well?
Jensen Määäm 3:49 PM - 1 January, 2014
Quote:
Thanks. Does this move export the hot cues, loops etc. for each track of the crate as well?

Yes it does, as those informations are stored in the mp3 file itself.
MEDLEY 10:36 PM - 1 January, 2014
Does this also work with SD cards?
Jensen Määäm 12:32 AM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:
Does this also work with SD cards?

It should, as you can choose the drive where to copy or move the files.
wumpscut 4:23 PM - 2 January, 2014
How do you "paste" them onto another computer running scratch live or DJ (let's say your backup computer) using this method?
Scott S 10:13 PM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:
How do you "paste" them onto another computer running scratch live or DJ (let's say your backup computer) using this method?

You would need to have your other computers hard drive hooked up as an external drive so you can see it in the software if you wanted to use this exact method. This may be quite hard to do, so you can just use an external hard drive as a transfer unit if you need to copy over all your crates :)

Otherwise check out this article on moving your entire library over to a new hard drive > serato.com

Also have a read though this article on backing up your files > serato.com

Kind regards
wumpscut 11:54 PM - 2 January, 2014
I'm not transfering the whole library, the libraries being the same how do you easly move JUST the crates?
Can this method above be used to do that?
Jensen Määäm 12:00 AM - 3 January, 2014
Quote:
I'm not transfering the whole library, the libraries being the same how do you easly move JUST the crates?
Can this method above be used to do that?

Just the crates, not the mp3 files?
>>> copy the crates and subcrates folders of your _Serato_ folder to an usb stick and paste them into the _Serato_ folder on the other laptop, but then you would be missing the mp3 files. How to bring those over... this pro tip shows it...
Jensen Määäm 12:03 AM - 3 January, 2014
SSL or SDJ do not actually import mp3 files into the software, they just import the paths to the mp3 files! If you want to move songs or a subcrate or a crate incl. the mp3 file, not just path to the file, then you have to do it the way it's shown.
wellzz 12:44 AM - 9 January, 2014
The only issue I have with this pro tip is that when I copy or move the files into the new location (in this case the usb stick) Serato will ask if it should remove the original file reference. regardless of what i choose at that point, I end up with double entries in serato. So now I have doubles of the same file showing up because of the two locations (the original crate and the new copy). Once i remove the usb stick, I'm then left with missing files which I then need to delete.
Jacques Lavoisier 1:07 PM - 11 January, 2014
Is it possible for MP3 files to have Serato's info stored in them as well as Rekordbox'?
Or does setting cue-points in Serato DJ deletes the ones set in Rekordbox?

The reason I am asking is because of the kind of equipment clubs have when I go DJing.
Jensen Määäm 3:20 PM - 11 January, 2014
Quote:
Is it possible for MP3 files to have Serato's info stored in them as well as Rekordbox'?

The reason I am asking is because of the kind of equipment clubs have when I go DJing.

I don't know, but you could try it out easily. Download the recordbox software, it's free and make a test.
Disgraceland_UK 11:05 AM - 15 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know, but you could try it out easily. Download the recordbox software, it's free and make a test.

You can use both - it doesn't delete the information
KentonC 10:46 PM - 15 January, 2014
Quote:
The only issue I have with this pro tip is that when I copy or move the files into the new location (in this case the usb stick) Serato will ask if it should remove the original file reference. regardless of what i choose at that point, I end up with double entries in serato. So now I have doubles of the same file showing up because of the two locations (the original crate and the new copy). Once i remove the usb stick, I'm then left with missing files which I then need to delete.

Yes, this happens to me as well - copying crates to a removable storage is a really neat feature, but the fact that is messes up your library in this way means I don't use it. Is it caused by something we are doing wrong, or is it somehow "by design"?
Zackery Walls 8:33 AM - 23 January, 2014
DOPE!
djvtyme85 2:11 AM - 25 January, 2014
it will only show the files you copied when the thumb drive is plugged in or at least in my case thats the only time they show up
Scott S 1:15 AM - 30 January, 2014
Quote:
it will only show the files you copied when the thumb drive is plugged in or at least in my case thats the only time they show up

Yes, since you have made a copy to the flash drive, you essentially duplicated the crate. Seeing as though Serato will not allow you to have 2 crates with the same name, it will just duplicate the songs in that crate to show the copies.

Once you eject the drive, those duplicate songs will disappear.

Cheers
Konka 9:16 PM - 6 February, 2014
How do I go about updating existing crates I have on my USB?

Say I already copied a bunch of crates and folders to a USB. Then a month later I have downloaded a bunch of new stuff I want to play out. So I want to update the multiple crates in serato. Now when I try and drag the main USB crate (I have all my USB crates nested into one crate) the flash drive says there's not enough room on the drive.

Can serato not do a batch update?
Do I have to drag each crate separately?

Right now I have to delete all the files and re copy them, this seems counter intuitive.

Will serato make doubles of files if I do it sub crate by sub crate (many tracks are in more than one sub crate)?
Scott S 10:32 PM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:
Right now I have to delete all the files and re copy them, this seems counter intuitive.

This is unfortunately how it is at the moment. We would love to work on updating how this works, as you're right, being able to "replace" the files that are already on there would cut the time in backing up your crates in half.

At this stage you will have to delete your files, then re-copy them, but hopefully there will be something to amend this in the future.

Regards
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:36 PM - 12 April, 2014
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
AdrianTr 4:06 PM - 24 June, 2014
This is actually what I was looking for ;) I'm running Serato DJ and dragged one crate to an empty UBB-drive... but some files haven't been found... (those files are on my pc-flash-drive and linked to SDJ) what should I do or am I doing wrong? Another question: I will have a gig on friday and I will be playing b2b .. the other DJ has scratch live. if I plug my USB-drive with all the files into his computer, would that work?

Thanks in advance!
Adrian
onetwo 11:29 PM - 26 June, 2014
It worked fine the first time, but there are some major bugs when I update or change the crates in the USB drive; duplicates. When I plug in my USB drive (with crates inside ) into another laptop I get duplicates and up to 6 of the same tracks in the same crate. There are not any duplicate files, only in the SDJ crates. I will not delete the entries individually because there are thousands of them. How do I delete crate information on a laptop that has previously used a portable usb drive with crates and mp3s created on another machine? I also can not copy my main crate with other crates nested (not enough space error) even though there is plenty of space on the drive.
onetwo 2:47 AM - 27 June, 2014
Actually, I've done a few tests and what is really happening is using this method will create duplicate mp3s if you use subcrates.

If the original file is named song.mp3 a duplicate file will be created named SUBCRATEsong.mp3 in the same folder named CRATE.

This is probably what is causing the "not enough space" error. SDJ is making multiple copies, especially if you have crates in crates in crates and so on.

If a file is in multiple crates, it will also be copied multiple times, prefixed by the crate name.

The only workaround I've found right now is to not use subcrates, or to only COPY crates that have no SUBcrates in them.

This is a simple programming bug, please fix this in the next update, along with the ability to UPDATE crates without deleting everything on the USB drive. thanks.
onetwo 4:44 AM - 27 June, 2014
unchecking "include subcrates" in setup fixes the subcrate duplicate issue, but a sinlge song in multiple crates will still create duplicates.
Albertotv 5:22 PM - 8 July, 2014
is it woks in Serato DJ Intro? Thank you
fresh1treuk 11:58 AM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Actually, I've done a few tests and what is really happening is using this method will create duplicate mp3s if you use subcrates."

This problem is not solved 6 months later !

Quote:
unchecking "include subcrates" in setup fixes the subcrate duplicate issue, but a sinlge song in multiple crates will still create duplicates.

It kinda work. But it still rename the files "subcrate/name.mp3".
fresh1treuk 12:10 PM - 17 December, 2014
I found another problem :

When you have one file in two crates and you only copy ONE crate on the USB drive. Serato DO copy the TWO crates on the drive.
not of your business 7:50 PM - 20 January, 2015
I've successfully copy the crates along with the .mp3 to a usb key.
But, now my computer doesn't recognize it (The USB Key).

How to fix this ?
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:58 AM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Why the hell did I post this
Ian Clay 7:12 PM - 4 March, 2015
As of now, i have all my music stored in an EHD and borken down by Artist, and then by song. Is there a way i can Replicate this and makes crates the same way? (Other than manually doing it)

Nextly,
How will i be able to tell if ALL my music got imported into SDJ? I've tried importing my tracks before and realised that some tracks were missing?
BENANAS 4:35 PM - 20 March, 2015
Hey, so i put all my USB crates into a crate, and it won't let me copy that onto my USB Drive? whats up with that?
CatalystNZ 1:32 AM - 29 July, 2015
Best bet for now I think is to create crates which are to be copied to USB. Don't have any Sub Crates in those crates.

Once you copy the crate across and get the duplicate problem, de-mount USB and rename the old Crate in Serato to a new name. Then when you plug in your USB again they should be separate crates.

I'm a little disappointed that they half assed this... I can see the complexity of copying over a library. Each track needs a unique ID of some sort, but in reality that's not simple. There's no simple way to know if a track is a duplicate or not, so they took the easy route and elected not to filter out dupes.

The better solution would be to allow multiple crates of the same name to display if they are in different file locations, or automatically rename the crate when it's copied.
CatalystNZ 3:10 AM - 29 July, 2015
OK, I take it back... the copy and rename method is ok, but you end up duplicating other crates if the song appears in two separate crates. That second crate will also be created and copied to the new device.

IMO the best process for copying a library to USB is as follows.

Prerequisites:
1: Put all your crates under one main crate. Call that crate something like "My Library"
2: (Optional) Store your music in a single location, it makes life easier. Try to name that location something simple.

How to copy:

1. Close Serato
2. Copy the _Serato_ library folder to USB
3. Copy the MP3 files across to USB (*See note below)
4. Rename your local HDD _Serato_ folder to something else
5. Open Serato and Rename any crates which are top level. I put all my subcrates under a single master crate so I only renamed that one crate)
6. Close Serato
7. Reverse step 4

*Note: When you copy your files across to USB, keep the same file structure! So on Local HDD if it was C:\Music, on your new USB make it E:\Music or whatever.

Buy a USB3 stick, and just copy your whole library across any time you need to. It will save you the hassle of maintaining two libraries.
deadleef 5:23 PM - 29 September, 2015
I have a weird situation for everyone:
My computer screen cracked and had to be removed. The computer itself running the latest Serato
DJ, still works fine. For display I run an HDMI to an external screen. As you can imagine, its not very portable =p.
My problem is that I have a show coming up on the 16th of October.
What i need is either:
-A: A way to make my crates accessible on my friends MAC running the "same" version of DJ (I run Windows 8.1)
OR
-B: A way to make a version of DJ "boot-able" from a high capacity stick on a computer that doesn't have DJ on it.

OH
And NO sketchy 3rd party software.

Thank you for helping me with my impossible situation!
djvtyme85 12:11 PM - 30 September, 2015
copy your serato file to a thumb drive, along with your crates and duplicate your crates. when u plug it in they'll be right there
tox777 9:51 PM - 24 November, 2015
Hi, is there anyway to keep the right order of the tracks, when exporting a crane? It seems, Serato DJ (latest version) only exports the file name but not the # Nr.
Thanks for helping me out!
angelikaz 2:20 PM - 25 February, 2016
i would suggest you to try DuplicateFilesDeleter , it can help resolve duplicate files issue.
DJ IllnessUK 11:12 PM - 16 March, 2016
For some reason... I cannot drag n drop crates just individual tracks?
Dj Lazee G 8:26 AM - 22 June, 2016
Can anyone help. I copied my iTunes library to an external hard drive, and plugged in to serato. I created a new crate and copied this crate back to the external hard drive (so as when i plug this in it will work).

After the files were transferred over, I plugged in my external hard drive again and only a few songs were present. Anyone know why this would be??

I didn't analyse the files before transferring them, should i have done this??

Thanks
jn45h 9:23 PM - 27 June, 2016
Hi,

I am having a problem with exporting crates onto my USB. Everytime I export a crate I get duplicates of the files in the crates i am trying to move. So my crates then contain my original songs plus a load of duplicates.

Its a real nuisance to rectify afterwards. Iv seen that when i remove the USB the files generally go, but not always. Now again iv got double of everything in my crate, sometimes triple.

Not only that, i have to load each crate separately, wait for one to finish, then load up the other. And if i drag a crate with sub crates in it, it does not create a folder within a folder on the USB, it creates again loads of duplicates and the crate name is just put at the end of the file name on the USB. For example if the name of the song was SONG and it was in the sub crate techno, on my usb it would have SONG.technocrate - or something like this.

Anyway can somebody please just tell me the quickest and simplest way to get the crates on my serato to my usb, without messing up my crates in my serato please.

Many thanks!
Blak_Lotus 5:30 PM - 1 July, 2016
Hi I also have a question.

I'm currently in the process of reorganizing my music in Serato which involves also deleting a lot of tracks that I do not want.

Is there anyway that I can export the tracks that I have kept in Serato to my external hard drive? That way I don't have to reorganize all my music a SECOND time on my external?

Thanks!
Zombies in the Basement 4:38 PM - 28 September, 2016
I can't believe that this hasn't been addressed. Please fix this.
DJ illWill 7:26 AM - 15 November, 2016
What if you have Subcrates. will it make it one crate/folder or will it copy exactly how it is.
silentkillahdjlex 9:36 PM - 5 January, 2017
will the crates show up in a pioneer cdj by plugging directly into it?
Tomixxx 2:55 PM - 26 February, 2017
A really nice pro tip. To extend on this, with the right backup startegy of your music files, it is possible to plug the the backup drive to a friend's computer running Serato DJ.

More precisely, I use the program rsync to synchronize my music folder with an external drive (FAT32). All my music is origanized within one folder on my MacBook

/Users/<username>/Music

To make the external drive "Serato ready", I did the following:
1. Mirrow the folder structure, i.e., copy /Users/<username>/Music to /Volumes/<external_volume>/Users/<username>/Music
2. Copy /Users/<username>/Music/Serato to /Volumes/<external_volume>/Serato

Enjoy!
Bass Child 7:26 PM - 29 May, 2017
Hi, I'd like to know if you can eject a USB while serato is open.

Scenario; opening dj playing off laptop.

DJ 2 comes with USB plugs into laptop, plays 1 hr. Finishes and takes USB out (eject etc) will this effect serato??

DJ 3 comes with USB and Plugs into opening DJ laptop etc.

Would like to know please
Brandon H 11:36 PM - 25 July, 2017
Hi!
So im getting some music from a friend. (like spanish, and other genres that I dont normally have). He wants to give me his crates and music. But his music isnt organized on his harddrive. its all piled in one big folder with the rest of his music. so how can I get those crates?

Will this method copy the mp3 files associated with the crate too? how can I put this on my external with the rest of my music/crates?

thanks
djsimonse 1:35 AM - 7 August, 2017
I would also want this feature! It would be great, if there was a super easy way to export a folder with multiple Crates to a USB Thumb Drive/SD-Card for playing with other Serato DJ’s. + It would be great if there was a Devices tab for external drives. I like the clean Denon Engine Prime software layout under the Search-bar.

I have found a not so great workaround solution. I’m using Recordbox and with exported recordbox_playlist.m3u8 files for each playlist, imported to a Serato DJ thumb drive Crate, I can create the same playlists on the thumb drive for Serato. It would help if there was a "use the same file and don't crate a duplicate file" function in Serato DJ. The upside of this (not so efficient) solution is that the Thumb Drive works with both Recordbox and Serato which is very convenient.