DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Picking A DJ Name For Yourself - General Information

6 9:00 PM - 31 December, 2013
Hopefully this helps out "new" "DJ's". Feel free to add anything you think is relevant.

----------------------------

So you got your shiny new DJ equipment for Xmas and now you think you're a DJ so you need a DJ name. Great! Let's help you out. Wait. That was a little bit of sarcasm. I know not everyone goes that route. Let's say that you actually worked your ass off to get your own DJ equipment and you practiced for months/years and now you're ready to go out in the public eye but you don't have a DJ name. Let's help you out.

How It Was | A lot of DJ's don't know this, or perhaps it's different wherever you started, but to many of us, a DJ name was not chosen by us, it was given to us. I'm not saying this is the way to go, but it can be. If you think you're not creative enough or maybe you rather have your mentor help you out, do so. Together, you two may come to an agreement for a cool name.

DJ vs CDJ vs VDJ vs AllOtherTypesOfDJ's vs No DJ Before Your Name | It seems like everyone wants to be a DJ now and for that reason alone, being identified as a DJ is something many of us don't like to do. So, at times you may use the word DJ or just go with a name. I say, pick whatever you want. Of course, just a heads up, for those of you who spin videos and think VDJ looks great, it actually doesn't. But hey, that's just my personal opinion.

Do Research | Whether you choose your own name or have someone else help you out, please do yourself a favor and research whatever name you pick. Chances are someone else already thought of it. Before the internet, it was more difficult to do so and that's why there were too many DJ's using the same stage name. Nowadays, you have that advantage so use it. Be original, creative, and don't bite anyone else's name. No, spelling it differently isn't okay.

Marketability | Perhaps you love the way DJ GetsLotsOfPussy sounds and even your buddies do too. But, will your name be marketable in the long run? You want a name that identifies you but at the same time, you want something that is okay to be displayed on flyers, or can be said on the radio, etc.

Logo Design | So you picked a name. What about a logo to go with it? Or will your name be your logo as well? These are things you need to think about. So keep that in mind.

EDM Style Names | Perhaps you want to go the good old EDM DJ style and use your full birth name. There's nothing wrong with that I say... but think of the pros and cons before you actually commit to using your real name. I won't go into them.

Trademark | I'm all for trademarking your name. I think everyone should. Have I done it? Nope... but I think you should. You may want to protect your name. Of course, if you're going to trademark it, make sure you have the right to do so. Again, do your research because someone can claim you don't have the right to trademark something that already existed before you "thought" of it.

In Short | Pick a name that is short and sweet, or at least original. Something that will grab the attention of those who read it. But, don't forget that whatever name you pick, you still have to work at getting recognized. That's where "Making a name for yourself" comes into play. The reality is that ANY name may work. So, really, it's up to you.

Oh, and before I forget, if you're reading this because you thought it would be easier to come to a DJ forum and have someone pick a name for you, you're an idiot.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:18 PM - 31 December, 2013
Im thouroughly convinced 6 is applying for a writing position on djtechtools
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:21 PM - 31 December, 2013
Quote:

Logo Design | So you picked a name. What about a logo to go with it? Or will your name be your logo as well? These are things you need to think about. So keep that in mind.

I could acutually use help with this part, venues and promoters have been asking me to provide a logo
 6 9:22 PM - 31 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I could acutually use help with this part, venues and promoters have been asking me to provide a logo

I could help you out.. after the New Year. :) PM me about this.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:20 PM - 31 December, 2013
Quote:
Im thouroughly convinced 6 is applying for a writing position on djtechtools

There's something up....

**Waiting for the other shoe to drop***

***Checking calendar for April Fool's***

Something is afoot....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:25 PM - 31 December, 2013
I think I've figured it out...

He's trying to create "One Stop Shopping" for all your n00b DJ Question and Answer" needs....

For example..

serato.com
DJ Remix Detroit 10:12 PM - 1 January, 2014
Quote:
"One Stop Shopping" for all your n00b DJ Question and Answer" needs....

with the right approach, wouldn't be a bad business idea to take advantage of all the new "trendy" kids.
Dj Wunder 10:46 PM - 1 January, 2014
Quote:
... to many of us, a DJ name was not chosen by us, it was given to us. I'm not saying this is the way to go, but it can be.

I'm a pretty firm believer in this one. When I was starting out, I came up with a number of names that I thought were cool (they weren't) but when I finally went professional, I ended up using my high school nickname. It sounds best, and of course was instantly recognizable to my first fans (high school buddies). It also feels better when explaining the genesis of the name, as opposed to telling people, "yeah I called myself Grand Master wicky wicky Wes cuz I thought it sounded cool"
latindj 9:45 PM - 3 January, 2014
wait! I thought VDJ was a female dj....you know, vagina dj??? doh!

nm
DJ Reflex 3:52 AM - 4 January, 2014
Today's program was brought to you by the number 6.
DJ Carlos P Remix 8:33 AM - 22 July, 2014
Quite useful
DJ Remix Detroit 10:19 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Today's program was brought to you by the number 6.

Lol
Florin 4:21 AM - 14 November, 2015
I'm thinking about I can't get the DJ name for my self I' was trying someone and I didn't like it how sound this is one of them my name is Florin and DJ name to be DJ Frln : did this is okay :) Frln DJ Frln Frln Frln
DJ Irv 4:27 PM - 14 November, 2015
Nothing wrong with being DJ Florin of FLRN.
DJ Tracktion 4:27 PM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

If you don't know anyone that can hook you up with one try Fiverr.com or 99designs.com.

I've used fiverr for brochures and flyers and its easy, fast and no more than $50 (depending on the options you go with). I hear nothing but good things about 99designs but it is def more expensive.
DJ Tracktion 4:28 PM - 17 November, 2015
aaaand I just noticed that was from 2013..