DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best Hip-Hop albums of 2013

DJ Alkemy 10:15 PM - 22 December, 2013
Here is a list of what I consider the top 40 albums of 2013 in Hip-Hop:

TOP TEN
1: Marco Polo-Newport Authority 2
2: Run The Jewelz-Run The Jewelz
3: Dead Players-Dead Players
4: J-Zone-Peter Pan Syndrome
5: Oddisee-The Beauty In All/Tangible Dream
6: Innate & EP-Such As I
7: Billy Woods-Dour Candy
8: 7 G.E.M.S.-Golden Era Music Sciences
9: Dirty Dike-Return Of The T***
10: Ugly Heroes-Ugly Heroes

THE REST IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
Czarface-Czarface
Edo G-Intelligence & Ignorance
Demigodz-Killmatic
Gensu Dean & Planet Asia-Abrasions
Vast Aire-Best Of The Best
Moe Pope & Rain-Let The Right Ones In
RJD2 - More Is Than Isn't
RA The Rugged Man-Legends Never Die
Durag Dynasty-360 Waves
LMNO & Evidence-After The Fact
Trinity-20 In
Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge-Twelve Reasons To Die
Trek Life-Hometown Foreigner
Illogic & Blockhead-Capture The Sun
Qwel-Beautiful Raw
Prodigy & Alchemist-Albert Einstein
Hieroglyphics-The Kitchen
14KT-Nickel & Dimed
Termanology-G.O.Y.A
Supastition-The Blackboard EP
MidaZ The Beast-AU: Another Universe
Neek The Exotic-Hustle Don't Stop
Def Dee-33 And A Third
Clear Soul Forces-Gold PP7s
Ramson Badbonez-A Year In The Life Of Oscar The Slouch
Task Force-Music From The Corner Vol 5
Verb T-I Remain
Rag N Bone Man & Leaf Dog-Dog 'N' Bone EP
Action Bronson & Party Supplies-Blue Chips 2
Metabeats-Cavier Crackle

What albums did youl all like this year?
Mr. Goodkat 11:21 PM - 22 December, 2013
dug this one on the realer hip hop style.

soundcloud.com
DJ Alkemy 11:24 PM - 22 December, 2013
Quote:
dug this one on the realer hip hop style.

soundcloud.com

Yeah, Rapsody is nice. Her The Idea Of Beautiful album from last year was real good.
HighGrade562 3:53 AM - 23 December, 2013
I think that Ghostface and Adrian Young collabo belongs in the top 10. Nice list, many I haven't listened to thoroughly.
DJ Alkemy 6:53 AM - 23 December, 2013
Quote:
I think that Ghostface and Adrian Young collabo belongs in the top 10. Nice list, many I haven't listened to thoroughly.

Yeah, there's a couple of albums that I think just missed out on the top 10 lol. I actually prefer the Apollo Brown version of that album but it totally slipped my mind.
dj_soo 10:58 PM - 23 December, 2013
people still listen to albums? You guys must have been born in the 80s or earlier.
HighGrade562 11:25 PM - 23 December, 2013
Fuck yeah, lots of hidden gems on albums that don't get released as singles. I was buying albums and 12" singles since before I had my first mixer. I would scratch on a panasonic console and watch the Rock it video dreaming of the day I could get my first set of TT's and a mixer. I was about 7 or 8 if I remember correctly, so yeah def born before the 80's.

I think albums are on a resurgence as I see many young people in record shops buying albums old and new. If you have an Amoeba close by walk in and you still see a lot of people buying albums.
auttomattik 11:32 PM - 23 December, 2013
Quote:

I agree here, and the Apollo version. I personally would put "G.O.Y.A", Terms newest album in the top ten, for sure. Statik Selectah "Extended Play" not making the list at all? It's in my 10. Also, I know you hate on a lot of commercial, but I listen to it all, and Jay Z's "Magna Carta Holy Grail" would be on my 10, as well as Kendricks, MAAD City. But I do agree Marco's album is the best all year, hands down. I loved Run the Jewels, and Oddisee too. You lost me with the rest of the top ten? Is all that shit US hip hop? Kinda pissed I missed a few of those, now I gotta go check em out doe.
DJ Alkemy 1:14 AM - 24 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I agree here, and the Apollo version. I personally would put "G.O.Y.A", Terms newest album in the top ten, for sure. Statik Selectah "Extended Play" not making the list at all? It's in my 10. Also, I know you hate on a lot of commercial, but I listen to it all, and Jay Z's "Magna Carta Holy Grail" would be on my 10, as well as Kendricks, MAAD City. But I do agree Marco's album is the best all year, hands down. I loved Run the Jewels, and Oddisee too. You lost me with the rest of the top ten? Is all that shit US hip hop? Kinda pissed I missed a few of those, now I gotta go check em out doe.

All US in the top 10 other than numbers 3 & 9, which are UK.

I hated Extended Play, such a let down for me. Thought the beats were wack, like he had old stuff lying around and just released it. GOYA was hard to leave off the top 10, great album.

Magna Carta I thought was average at best. One or two good tracks, nothing more. Same for GKMC, thought both were waaaaay overhyped.

Yeah, you should check them UK albums out. High Focus Records are running shit in the UK at the moment. A friend of mine on the list (Rag n Bone Man) is making some serious moves, he's a Blues kinda singer but uses some Boom Bap beats. DJ Premier is strong on his case to make a record. Papoose too. Check him out.
HighGrade562 6:17 AM - 24 December, 2013
Much better album than Kendrick Lamars' IMO. Best WestCoast Album fo sure. Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Alkemy 6:23 AM - 24 December, 2013
Quote:
Much better album than Kendrick Lamars' IMO. Best WestCoast Album fo sure. Watchwww.youtube.com

Oh hell yeah, Blu knocks spots off Kendrick. I had that album for a few years now though. That track uses the same sample as Smut Peddlers-The Red Light/
HighGrade562 6:31 AM - 24 December, 2013
I didn't realize it was out for years, none the less best west coast album in years.
DJ Alkemy 6:42 AM - 24 December, 2013
Quote:
I didn't realize it was out for years, none the less best west coast album in years.

Yep. Great album. Im looking forward to the new Dilated Peoples next year. Also the Step Brothers album.
DJ Shameless 8:48 PM - 25 December, 2013
Swollen Members - Beautiful Death Machine was released this year too. Really tight
DJ Shameless 8:55 PM - 25 December, 2013
Thanks for the list by the way... been slacking on my digging lately. def gonna give those a look.
DJ Alkemy 10:54 AM - 26 December, 2013
Quote:
Swollen Members - Beautiful Death Machine was released this year too. Really tight

That one slipped me by. I got a few Swollen Members LP's from a while back. I heard Madchild's new stuff but thought it was pretty wack but will check out the above release.
DJ Shameless 4:12 PM - 26 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

That one slipped me by. I got a few Swollen Members LP's from a while back. I heard Madchild's new stuff but thought it was pretty wack but will check out the above release.

cool... didn't catch Madchild's new stuff

also Snowgoons released Black Snow 2 earlier this month. Have you heard it yet?
DJ Alkemy 4:29 PM - 26 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

cool... didn't catch Madchild's new stuff

also Snowgoons released Black Snow 2 earlier this month. Have you heard it yet?

Not yet. Snowgoons are a mixed bag for me too. Their production can sound very similar every time but now and again they get it perfect like their album with MOP. That sound just suits MOP perfectly.
DJ Shameless 7:04 PM - 26 December, 2013
yeah true...
the new album has over 20 tracks and a lot of 'featurings', so i'm not sure what to expect.
DJ Alkemy 7:23 AM - 27 December, 2013
Quote:
yeah true...
the new album has over 20 tracks and a lot of 'featurings', so i'm not sure what to expect.

Sounds like the album I got coming out lol