DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What do you DJS think of Reggaeton?

BUSTAMOVE90210 7:58 PM - 16 March, 2006
i know there's been a lot of media hype especially the last year about Reggaeton and i feel there are a few quality artists in this genre, but do you feel Reggaeton is already dead? a couple of short sets of it used to spin well at my gigs, but now it's starting to thin out my floor? personally i think the same beat and all the repetitive lyrics will kill this music soon.
Dj Ryme 8:03 PM - 16 March, 2006
I am probably the ONLY dj that I know personally that NEVER jumped on the Reggaeton wagon, when That NORE & Nina Sky came out, I played it because it was dope and I had no idea really about the genre since im from Cali and it was a NY thing, but after I heard every song with the same damn drum pattern I was not sold, nor have I ever played a Reggaeton joint since, even when it blew up out here and it has not hurt me yet. I just couldnt respect a genre with little creativity, no disrespect to any Reggaeton DJ's out there, just my own thing.
concorde_pilot 8:31 PM - 16 March, 2006
raggaeton is annoying
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:37 PM - 16 March, 2006
so I assume you guys dont play RIDDIM/Dancehall either?
BUSTAMOVE90210 8:45 PM - 16 March, 2006
i play everything. i do two different radio mixshows and the club. you know what they say about assumption. the question is specifically what do you think of reggaeton?
DJ Bombjack 8:48 PM - 16 March, 2006
Reggaeton = Hell
mike pena 8:49 PM - 16 March, 2006
when i first heard it i liked it, the women love to dance to it. just let it have its 15 minutes. its annoying to some when they can't understand what the hell the artists is saying.
djtonypsalms 8:53 PM - 16 March, 2006
Reggaeton was born out of Reggae. And that "same" beat was popular in the Reggae Dancehalls in the mid 1990's. If you wanna check out some artists that did it then, check:

El General
Nando Boom

Back then, it was just "Reggae in Spanish" and the beat did vary a bit, not like now. Which is why I think it's on it's last legs...

Peace
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:53 PM - 16 March, 2006
Ive been playing it for a while, even ever since its conception in the early 90s with El general and such.

so to me it is still pretty strong in my area.
I do spin Hip Hop, Riddims and Reggaeton
anewsome 9:05 PM - 16 March, 2006
I never really jumped on the reggaeton bandwagon. I used to get requests for it all the time but not so much anymore. I've spun the Nina Sky & NORE joint (which I still like),.. and maybe Gasolina a few times. Personally, the entire genre annoys the hell out of me. Maybe a few Daddy Yankee and Pitbull appearences are ok, but that's about it. I don't know if it's dead or not,.. but either way I don't think it's going anywhere, anytime soon.
Dj Karlos 9:08 PM - 16 March, 2006
being from Puerto Rico and mainly playing reggaeton in all my parties, I do think that the rythm is more or less the same, but even this will not limit its creative edge... I have more than 1900 reggaeton songs, comming in since 1996, and still, I have never confused one song with another... Maybe its more about the passion and dance the beat creats for the people.... just something different would never feel the same, I do thing that reggaeton will still be around...

As for Puerto Rico, reggaeton is the mainstream music hear.... Most of the parties are "reggaeton only" and there are emerging stats everyday. At least I know that the only people who say that reggaeton will evetually die are the people who really never knew reggaeton at all
Dj Karlos 9:09 PM - 16 March, 2006
also most of the reggaeton you guys hear is not even pure reggaeton. That nina sky or Nore dont represent nothing.... so keep that in mind
BUSTAMOVE90210 9:13 PM - 16 March, 2006
ok...so i pulled out my rare El General vinyl and here's the track listings:

SIDE 1-SON BOW, EL PARE,UN AMOR

SIDE 2-UN AMOR QUE PUEDAS SENTIR, TE VES BUENA, TU PUN TUN

on Prime Records 1990...i'm a hip hop dj primarily but i play everything...my observation is when Reggaeton grabbed the 'Dem Bow" beat (Shabba Ranks) it exploded, but a lot of crap has now flooded out. maminstream media just discovered it and has touted it as the next great thing. i think it's peaked and it's already dying. how does it play to your crowd?
Dj Metro 9:16 PM - 16 March, 2006
any questions about reaggeton ask me..........ive been the tour dj 4 daddy yankee, tego calderon, ivy queen,and almost all the pr mc............been into reggaeton 4 over 15 years.done shows from projects to madison square garden........know the history...
BUSTAMOVE90210 9:17 PM - 16 March, 2006
ok metro what do you think of the reggaeton ninos :-)
Dj Karlos 9:22 PM - 16 March, 2006
well, it may be dying in the states, and its more a language thing than anything else. Most of you guys dont even understand a word that we are saying. Not even the people who do speak spanish. most of the words in reggaeton are invented just for the rhymes, having a slant double meaning for us, but being absolutly meaningless to you. I travel a lot to NY, and I remember when I went on august 2004, when gasolina was starting to emerge in the states, that was real OLD over here. Not even daddy yankee had a clue that that song would be such a succes, and in my personal opinion, it does not represent the best of him
Dj Metro 9:23 PM - 16 March, 2006
its a latin thig we never wanted mainstream....hiphop east coast has been so dead that they juped on this shit.....
Dj Metro 9:24 PM - 16 March, 2006
jumped
agelo538 9:32 PM - 16 March, 2006
Reggaetone is good in small doses, however there are people in the crowd that want to hear it all night long. A sprinkle here and there in a hip hop set is a nice change of pace. Anything more that that is too much.
BUSTAMOVE90210 9:33 PM - 16 March, 2006
everyone wants mainstream. it's a testimony to all your hard work paying off. in reggaeton's case i only think the main artists like tego, daddy yankee, ivy queen, don omar and wisin y yandel will be around for any kind of chart run, but they're already being co-opted by hip hop. is it still playing strong to your crowd or have you noticed a drop in it's ability to pump the crowd?
Dj Karlos 9:41 PM - 16 March, 2006
Quote:
everyone wants mainstream. it's a testimony to all your hard work paying off. in reggaeton's case i only think the main artists like tego, daddy yankee, ivy queen, don omar and wisin y yandel will be around for any kind of chart run, but they're already being co-opted by hip hop. is it still playing strong to your crowd or have you noticed a drop in it's ability to pump the crowd?

on the contrary, reggaeton everyday is pumping more the crowd over here, also because finally it got international recognition. also, over here there is much more mainstream artist than those you mentioned, such as Rakim y Ken-Y, which I'm sure you guys have never heard of them, but they are ripping the stereos all over Puerto Rico
twinsouls 9:51 PM - 16 March, 2006
Quote:
any questions about reaggeton ask me..........ive been the tour dj 4 daddy yankee, tego calderon, ivy queen,and almost all the pr mc............been into reggaeton 4 over 15 years.done shows from projects to madison square garden........know the history...
Theres this old reggaeton (Spanish Reggae)song that I have been wanting for the longest but don't know who it is by or what it's called.It's a female though,I know that. I don't know why people don't remember it when I know I've heard it at clubs before.The Hook goes something like "Dolce, Dolce, Dolce. Papasito esta Dolce, Dolce, Dolce".---Thats all I know
BUSTAMOVE90210 9:53 PM - 16 March, 2006
why does everyone feel like they know more about reggaeton because they're in puerto rico...in the age of internet, streaming, charts and good old fashioned travel by plane i think i know reggaeton. i'm from new york. been to puerto rico, dominican republic, rio, trinidad, jamaica, barbados...etc. i'm asking for insight and analysis. reggaeton has been around for over a decade. where do you see it now as it applies to rocking your crowd? where do you see it in 5 years?
Dj Karlos 10:05 PM - 16 March, 2006
Quote:
why does everyone feel like they know more about reggaeton because they're in puerto rico...in the age of internet, streaming, charts and good old fashioned travel by plane i think i know reggaeton. i'm from new york. been to puerto rico, dominican republic, rio, trinidad, jamaica, barbados...etc. i'm asking for insight and analysis. reggaeton has been around for over a decade. where do you see it now as it applies to rocking your crowd? where do you see it in 5 years?

i just emphasize on this because reggaeton is part of our life. we do take this very seriously and don't like when people start comparing it as how it plays here or there... it will never be the same thing... I grew up with reggaeton, even before it was still an undefined genre, the same way it entered the mayority of the youth here, and it is a totally different feeling in the states even for the most "reggaeton-oriented" people just because inside every song there is a special meaning to it, even if you guys cannot understand it.....

where do I see it now as it applies to rocking my crowd? It is better than ever and rocking solidly.

where do I see it in 5 years? I know it will still be as solid and mainstream as today.... as for my gigs in the states, not as solid, but still fundamental in each one
BUSTAMOVE90210 10:08 PM - 16 March, 2006
good post Karlos thanks for the insight.
capo di exmixah 10:19 PM - 16 March, 2006
As a Jamaican DJ who plays a lot af dancehall/reggae, and influences a lot of the stuff that gets made here, I can say quite heartily....from the bottom of my heart....with all my love....FUCK REGGAETON!
djtonypsalms 10:20 PM - 16 March, 2006
Dem Bow Riddim, that's it. Yeah, why does all the Reggaeton producers are so stuck on that syncopated beat? That's one thing that gets kinda tired.

Maybe they should do something with the "Street Sweeper" riddim or even the famous "Punany" riddim.

I think it's definitely an "island" thing.
Dj Chris Deza 10:20 PM - 16 March, 2006
WOW! I have to put my 2 cents in this one. There are 2 sides to this question or better yet it depends who u ask this question to that will give you the politically correct answer. Reggaeton originated in Puerto Rico back in the days as underground music, around 2001 it started to gain popularity and became more mainstream. Eventually it jumped off in the states and alot of DJ's that were not up on it looked at it as something new. If you ask a DJ in Puerto Rico if Reggaeton is dying out, they will say no cuase to Puerto Ricans is there own sound, much like Merengue & Bachata is to Dominicans or Reggae is to Jamaica.

Now on to 2006, reality check. Reggaeton no longer has the same effect it had on people 3 years ago when the shyt was new and everybody wanted to dance to it. I remember spinning a reggaeton sets for 30 minutes and having 2000+ going on the dance floor. Now after a 15 minutes set you start to see the empty spots on the dance floor. Alot has to do with the fact that it was all a phaze, and before everyone starts barking. Every genre goes thru a phaze.
In my opinion as a Dj/Producer alot of what is killing reggaeton off is the repetitiveness of beats and verses. How many of you guys rememeber Freestyle? Freestyle was they shyt back in the days it wasn't only a latin thing. I remember seing people of every etnicity singing to the tracks at clubs. But then everybody started using the Planet Patrol Beat and eventually it died out.

Unless Tego and Don Omar come with some really hot beats in the next productions due out this spring, it is safe to say reggaeton is on the way out.
Dj Karlos 10:33 PM - 16 March, 2006
I do agree with you chris, but still, within the same beat, it is changing alot. Hearing new songs everyday, I do notice the changes it has suffered throughout the years and do consider what is coming out very recently as a "New Reggaeton".

I just would love for you guys to experience the rush reggaeton produces as the partys go on in the clubs every single night..

if any one of you comes to Puerto Rico, you should check out these clubs: the noise, lazer, jara's cafe, urban, evolution, ect
BUSTAMOVE90210 10:39 PM - 16 March, 2006
i agree dj chris deza (actually it's the planet rock beat by afrikaa bambaataa). i was at the forefront of freestyle myself in the days of the cover girls, sweet sensation, safire and producers like the latin rascals and louie vega when he was not just doing dance remixes. on the hip hop tip you have anyone from ja rule to 50 cent to r. kelly to alicia keys releasing reggaeton remixes of their tracks. on the reggaeton tip you have nore, don omar and wisin y yandel, voltio and daddy yankee jumping on these hip hop remixes. i just feel it's the first sign of decline. even these remixes get lukewarm response.
sixxx 10:44 PM - 16 March, 2006
I started playing reggaeton and it was easy because I had already been spinnin' dancehall for quite a few years. So, it was nothing new to me... basically, different lyrics with a latin feel.

I always end up playing a few tracks at EVERY party, club, gig I do because of requests. I'm in cali, so the hispanic population requests it quite often.
artin (DJ D.I.S.) 2:05 AM - 17 March, 2006
pure complete shit.
BUSTAMOVE90210 2:35 AM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
pure complete shit.

i wouldn't go that far in all music there's good cuts and i like the stuff that don omar and wisin y yandel are doing, but i remember a time in hip hop also where they had the little kids phase and that almost stopped hip hop's momentum. seems to me reggaeton has two problems:1- same beat and lyrical structure, and 2-anybody including the little kids are jumping on the bandwagon of trying to be the next star in this genre before the real stars who've been doing it for a while has even acheived mainstream status. i give it one more year.
JayB1200 2:47 AM - 17 March, 2006
its reggae.... why does it have its own genre (Reggaeton) like it was something new?
BUSTAMOVE90210 2:56 AM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
its reggae.... why does it have its own genre (Reggaeton) like it was something new?

recipe: grab a dem bow rhytmn, stir in some timbales and congas, bake at 450 fahrenheit.....reggaeton :-)...some of this music is definitely hot, but i understand that the panamanians and jamaicans are very hot about how reggaeton has blown up.
Spelunk 4:23 AM - 17 March, 2006
It is good music, but like Reggae and Dancehall, it all sounds very similar.
Julls 5:09 AM - 17 March, 2006
I like Shabba Ranks, does that count?
BUSTAMOVE90210 5:25 AM - 17 March, 2006
lol. hell no. shabba is definitely reggae.
DJMark 7:01 AM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
pure complete shit.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I've always loved real 60's/70's/early-80's reggae (as in Bob Marley/Peter Tosh/Black Uhuru/early Steel Pulse) but when it (in general) turned excessively commercial and the lyrical content got too stupid/hate-driven I lost interest. A lot of the lyrics are just plain *wrong*.
DJMark 7:03 AM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
I've always loved real 60's/70's/early-80's reggae (as in Bob Marley/Peter Tosh/Black Uhuru/early Steel Pulse)

Oh, and UB40 *before* they started doing remakes of cheesy Neil Diamond/Sonny & Cher tunes.
Roctakon2.0 11:27 AM - 17 March, 2006
I Fuchking hate bob marley and I fucking cant stand reggaeton but I'll play some Elephant Man, TOK or the Bookshelf any day of the week.....

I do keep about 20 reggaeton hits in my computer just in case a club owner needs to hear it but for the most part I refuse to play it......
capo di exmixah 12:46 PM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
I Fuchking hate bob marley and I fucking cant stand reggaeton but I'll play some Elephant Man, TOK or the Bookshelf any day of the week.....

I do keep about 20 reggaeton hits in my computer just in case a club owner needs to hear it but for the most part I refuse to play it......

U HATE BOB MARLEY???!!!! Be thankful I'm probably the only Jamaican on this forum... U HATE "FUCHKING" hate Bob Marley???!!! U incorrigible dickhead!!! Keep that shit to yourself... Asshole! How dare you speak disparaginly of one of the worlds most beloved musical legends!

U irreverent prick!!!! Up yours!!!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:24 PM - 17 March, 2006
here we go again ;)

Bob marley # 1
djHSL 1:33 PM - 17 March, 2006
*LOL*

Here you are, capo, this should REALLY set you off ...

www.emusic.com

(and I couldn't give a shit about Marley, either)
Dj Chris Deza 2:04 PM - 17 March, 2006
OK Guys when Busta started this forum it was intended for one to give his input on the status of reggaeton as far as it where you see it and if in fact is wearing down. It wasn't meant for us to star bad mouthing one another or to start insulting musical talent.

Your comments are not only begining to sound ignorant but very childish. If you cant keep the topic flowing at an educated level just dont say shyt at all.
nik39 2:24 PM - 17 March, 2006
capo, chill down, no need to insult him either, that doesnt help. Roctagon belongs to the (thank god) small fraction of trolls on this board, just out for causing trouble and headache. I wouldnt waste my time with him nor take his posts serious.
mister iLL 2:36 PM - 17 March, 2006
reggaeton is on it's deathbed here in philly. i don't even get requests for it. to be fair, though, there is a huge latin community in the northeast of the city, and i haven't been to a party there in about a year, so for all i know there's still 100% reggaeton nights there.

my personal opinion on it is: i'd rather have to listen to kenny loggins for the rest of my life than endure one more year of reggaeton.
DJ E DUBBLE 2:54 PM - 17 March, 2006
I gotta say that if you are in the club and your not playing Reggaton in my region your not catering to your crowd, its no longer just latin people requesting it. Its crazy when Im in the club and I got a crew of black and white females requesting it repetedly and when I asked "Do you know what they are saying?" they all said "no" but they like the beat. I dont think its in demand as much as it used to be though. I personally cant take too much of it, 2-3 songs tops depending on duration.
Dj Ryme 3:23 PM - 17 March, 2006
"Fuck Bob Marley".... wow thats a bold statement. He is mos def one of the greatest ever.
concorde_pilot 3:43 PM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
so I assume you guys dont play RIDDIM/Dancehall either?
dancehall is awesome...maby even better than hiphop... but reggaeton :O only rnb is more whacker
BUSTAMOVE90210 6:35 PM - 17 March, 2006
well i just woke up from doing a gig last night and i see nthe discussion is back on track and still going strong. if you djs could state the region or country you're playing in it would be helpful to give a picture of the overall strength of reggaeton.
DirtySteeeve 6:58 PM - 17 March, 2006
I think reggaeton is dope. Yes, its the same beat, but there is another genre of music that Im very much into that started out exclusively using a lil break we like to call 'Amen'...but I digress. Also, like its already been said, its definitely a cultural thing too. Im in the DC Metro area, and I was actually @ a club last night...Love, to be exact...and dude didn't drop any reggaeton. I dunno, there were plenty of mamis there, but Im led to believe that the DJ downstairs was droppin some reggaeton. Anyhow, unless your party is highly populated w.latinos y latinas...for the general crowd you can most likely get away with playing maybe a short-ass set of reggaeton. Like, the well-known jams with maybe a few newer ones. Also, you want some reggaeton w.a different beat? Peep Residente Calle 13. Not only do they make hot shit, but they have a mix of one of their tracks, 'Chulin Culin Chunfly', with Three 6 Mafia on it.

...juss had to put in my 2 cents.
djzoo 7:02 PM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
raggaeton is annoying

ditto
BUSTAMOVE90210 7:10 PM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
I think reggaeton is dope. Yes, its the same beat, but there is another genre of music that Im very much into that started out exclusively using a lil break we like to call 'Amen'...but I digress. Also, like its already been said, its definitely a cultural thing too. Im in the DC Metro area, and I was actually @ a club last night...Love, to be exact...and dude didn't drop any reggaeton. I dunno, there were plenty of mamis there, but Im led to believe that the DJ downstairs was droppin some reggaeton. Anyhow, unless your party is highly populated w.latinos y latinas...for the general crowd you can most likely get away with playing maybe a short-ass set of reggaeton. Like, the well-known jams with maybe a few newer ones. Also, you want some reggaeton w.a different beat? Peep Residente Calle 13. Not only do they make hot shit, but they have a mix of one of their tracks, 'Chulin Culin Chunfly', with Three 6 Mafia on it.

...juss had to put in my 2 cents.

good post that brings to mind another question. if reggaeton lost the "dem bow" beat would it still be considered reggaeton or would it just be called spanish rap?
djzoo 7:26 PM - 17 March, 2006
it would be called crap. and i'm latino.
Coro 7:57 PM - 17 March, 2006
Well i am a Dominican that has been playing out around the world (house music) and I think reggaeton makes out culture (hispanic) seem uneducated and the beats are just horrble.
To put it simple, I think it ghettofies the beatiful spanish Language.
djzoo 8:13 PM - 17 March, 2006
word!
Roctakon2.0 8:31 PM - 17 March, 2006
IF I wanna hate bob marley I can......... I didnt say he sucked or he wasent a prolific aritst, I just said I hated him. I dont like roots reggae for the most part...........
I will still play one or two of his songs because they make people so happy but they don't make me happy........
BUSTAMOVE90210 8:39 PM - 17 March, 2006
ok let me try and steer this back towards reggaeton because it is actually tied into reggae. elements of reggae and salsa combined to create reggaeton emanating from panama and jamaican style reggae. which is why i've heard jamaicans, panamanians and traditionalists puerto ricans hate reggaeton as opposed to salsa and merengue and reggae. can anyone weigh in as to the truth of this?
cali 8:55 PM - 17 March, 2006
Reggaeton RULEEEEEEEEES!!
reggaeton is the best and period
djtonypsalms 9:41 PM - 17 March, 2006
Roctakon2.0,

You hate Bob Marley & Roots Reggae?

Me don't overstand dat!

That would be like saying you like 3-6 Mafia, and hate James Brown. WTF?

How are you gonna give props to the new blood of the genre and diss the ones that originated it?

Don't be so ignorant...
Dj Karlos 9:50 PM - 17 March, 2006
I personally do like most kinds of music. I cant name a genre that I dont like.. Puerto Rico's music got influence from a lot of places, so our music has sounds and instruments that appeal to a large variety of genres....
djtonypsalms 9:50 PM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
ok let me try and steer this back towards reggaeton because it is actually tied into reggae. elements of reggae and salsa combined to create reggaeton emanating from panama and jamaican style reggae. which is why i've heard jamaicans, panamanians and traditionalists puerto ricans hate reggaeton as opposed to salsa and merengue and reggae. can anyone weigh in as to the truth of this?

If Reggaeton artist/producers gave props to the originators, I think Jamaicans would have much more respect for it.

And if the subject matter of the lyrics would get a little more "conscious", c'mon, how many times can you talk about a girl's anatomy?
nik39 9:50 PM - 17 March, 2006
Hm, at this point, I admit that roots raggae is not on my favorite music styles lists either, but dancehall is fine with me. Personally, I find roots reggae pretty boring. Again, my personal opinion.
Dj Karlos 9:57 PM - 17 March, 2006
what type of music do you dj nik?
djtonypsalms 9:58 PM - 17 March, 2006
You may not like Roots Reggae, but you must respect it!

Where do you think, Sean Paul, Beenie Man, Elephant, TOK, Bounty Killer, Super Cat, Buju Banton, Bounty Killa got their style from?
nik39 9:59 PM - 17 March, 2006
Karlos, Hiphop/RnB/Soul/Funk/Reggae/Dancehall. My knowledge about Reggae + Dancehall is limited, and just to add, I do not hate roots Reggae, I just dont like it very much.
nik39 10:01 PM - 17 March, 2006
tonypsalms, I know what you mean, cause I dont understand how you can like Boot Camp Click and not like Barry White cause they used their samples, and somehow the vibe of course. But whats the connection with dancehall and roots reggae music wise? Sorry for my ignorance, as said before, I do not know a lot about it (compared to my hiphop knowledge).
djtonypsalms 10:28 PM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
But whats the connection with dancehall and roots reggae music wise? .

Some of today's Dancehall music takes old riddims from the 60's - 70's, remixed them with Modern techniques/instruments then re-release it.

A good example of this is Damaian Marley's "Welcome to Jamrock." Which is an old Ini Kamozie track.

Another connection is the Rastafarian Faith.
But that's a different story... :)
nik39 10:51 PM - 17 March, 2006
I dont like Damian Marleys track a lot, on of the causes is that it has that roots raggae sample/flair.

Rastafarian... weed head? I've never understood that, but I guess its just something which you have to accept, not really understand. My lady likes reggae music, we have small fights when reggae music runs. Same when Trace Chapman hits the CD decks... same when I listen to Scott Storch recent productions. Tastes are different :)
nik39 10:52 PM - 17 March, 2006
Feel free to give some insights. I am very interested in anything music related, of any style, whether I like it or not.
Roctakon2.0 10:58 PM - 17 March, 2006
Um I dont like most roots reggae stuff thats my perogative.

I would rather hear the clash play a reggae song that the real reggae artist who recorded it..........

What do you want Im from Virginia?

I dont mind religious themed music... like house and disco joints like God helps those etc etc

But I can't really fuck with that rastafarian stuff, not really my bag.....

Plus that shit is mad boring......

I like Morrissey and Disco..... and New Order and shit like that......
I dont give a fuck about roots reggae and thats my perogative......

Plus in todays market you only need about 100 dancehall songs and your good..... as far as djing goes.....

If you came out on the serato board and said you hated Morrissey I'd be like ok cool, I disagree but I wouldent jump in your shit....... TO A LOT OF PEOPLE MOZ IS MORE POWERFUL THAN SOME DEAD DRED........

Back up off me,

Also u cant play that sample artist shit.........

If a hip hop artist samples an artist that dont mean I have to like that artist.....

Perfect example::::::

Bob James Take Me To Mardi Gra.......
Peter Piper is a classic hip hop record and I like it.... I like the way they gave the bob james break some bump and cut it up.....

I never have played the take me to mardi gra origional break cause as a break it fucking sucks.... and the song as a song fucking sucks...... Its shitty evevator jazz that belongs in the dollar bin that the first people to use it found it in........

You wanna sit and listen to that whole fucking jazz song just because black sheep took a two bar bass line......? NO!

this could go on and on about sample baised hip hop.......

I know where different forms of music orginated and how they became what they are......... But that dont me I have to like every step of the process......
Roctakon2.0 11:05 PM - 17 March, 2006
Quote:
If Reggaeton artist/producers gave props to the originators, I think Jamaicans would have much more respect for it.

And if the subject matter of the lyrics would get a little more "conscious", c'mon, how many times can you talk about a girl's anatomy?

Why the fuck does somthing have to be "conscious" to be acceptable.....

all the dancehall songs are about pussy and killing gay people and jamaicans seem to feel that shit ......!
Harvey 12:46 AM - 18 March, 2006
Anyone in the UK heard of Reggaeton? :D
cali 12:55 AM - 18 March, 2006
aree you crazy Harvey??...Daddy Yankee is extremely famous in UK and in all the world..even in Japan they love Daddy Yankee...Reggaeton is Revolutioning the world
BUSTAMOVE90210 12:56 AM - 18 March, 2006
are you in the uk cali?
cali 1:03 AM - 18 March, 2006
no man..i am puerto rican man...where Reggaeton comes man
BUSTAMOVE90210 1:06 AM - 18 March, 2006
uh....reggaeton may have blown up in purto rico, but what's all of this i have read about it's origins being from panama and jamaica.
cali 1:08 AM - 18 March, 2006
nah man...reggaeton originaly was created when Ziggy Marley comed here to puerto rico...and he did a song with a very famous dj..and there it was creatited
BUSTAMOVE90210 1:12 AM - 18 March, 2006
Quote:
nah man...reggaeton originaly was created when Ziggy Marley comed here to puerto rico...and he did a song with a very famous dj..and there it was creatited

what's the name of this song?
DJK 1:18 AM - 18 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
pure complete shit.

Ya, me too. A promoter asked me to play reggatone in the middle of a old school hip hop night!?!? I told him I didn't have any, and he handed me a CD wallet. I told him that I could stay and keep playing what I was (to the packed dance floor) or I stop the record, pack serato up and leave him to DJ whatever music he wanted.

So the promoter went and cried to the club owner, and the club owner tells him that if I said no, then so does he. I have never seen such an angry promoter in all my life, but I guess thats how it goes, I REFUSE to lower my personal standards.

Now that dosn't mean that I am rigt and you guys are wrong for liking it, to each his own I say. I am just sharing my experiences and opinion.
BUSTAMOVE90210 1:21 AM - 18 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
pure complete shit.

Ya, me too. A promoter asked me to play reggatone in the middle of a old school hip hop night!?!? I told him I didn't have any, and he handed me a CD wallet. I told him that I could stay and keep playing what I was (to the packed dance floor) or I stop the record, pack serato up and leave him to DJ whatever music he wanted.

So the promoter went and cried to the club owner, and the club owner tells him that if I said no, then so does he. I have never seen such an angry promoter in all my life, but I guess thats how it goes, I REFUSE to lower my personal standards.

Now that dosn't mean that I am rigt and you guys are wrong for liking it, to each his own I say. I am just sharing my experiences and opinion.

damnnn! was the promoter the one who booked you and was paying you? if so you got some stones.
DJMark 11:33 AM - 18 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
pure complete shit.

I wish more DJ's would stand up for their own personal standards. We'd have a lot less lowest-common-denominator crap playing in the clubs, a more educated crowd, and more happier DJ's. Of course, the nature of our backward society being what it is, for every one DJ that is willing to stand up for their standards, there's five more with no standards at all and will probably work cheaper. Personally I'd rather take that risk then stand in front of a crowd playing music I hate.

Most "promoters" are worse than useless, enough said. Props to the tiny minority of them that actually contribute something.

Any music that basically promotes and incites the worst aspects of human nature shouldn't be being played by anyone anywhere. The fact that so much of that kind of stuff is popular is testimony to a terminally sick society.
BassChamber 11:43 AM - 18 March, 2006
well... i think its a big crap. just my honest opinion...

im spanish BTW. here, underground djs never play that shit, it is considered music for people with no music culture. even some radio stations have banned it because it lacks of quality.

sorry, i dont want to hurt anybodys feelings...
Dj Chris Deza 12:43 PM - 18 March, 2006
Quote:

Cali, I think you need to check your Reggaeton History books. Reggaeton originated as a genre called "Spanish Rap / Latin Hip Hop" back in the late 80's. Before there was "El General" there was artists that originated from Panama recording the genre. Later came on Ledesma an another artist named Gringo. Gringo had alot of talent, he released one complete production under J&N records in 1989. Unfortunally he found himself locked up in jail and was eventually screwed over by his label. The next year El General jumped on the scene and started to cross new borders with the genre. He introduced the sounds to the massive. The sounds took a diffrent twist 2 years later, it was the end of the Freestyle era and house music was begining to shine. Proyecto Uno started recording and added a house kick and a more tropical feel to the genre. And the story goes on. Eventually a new batch of artist started to emerge but by then the sound had started to mix hip hop / rap and was more hardcore (a la carte Los Playeros).

The sound was still called spanish rap, but it was too RAW/Violent for mainstream. So It was only played in underground clubs. Hence the name UNDERGROUND REGGAE emerge, same shyt diffrent name. For many years it remained so, until the sound went thru one final transformation. Producers started to mix in the dembow beat, started using a Bachata string feeling to it, artist starting actually using lyrics instead of freestyling off the top of their head and it became what we know it as today,

Think about this Cali, if it was originally from Puerto Rico. What artist were around in the late 80's doing what er know today as reggaeton? Daddy Yankee was only 8, Ivy Queen had just turned 10, Hector El Father, Tito El Bambino, Alexis, Fido, Angel, Khriz, Kartiel were all not even born, Tego was probably learning how to masturbate, Voltio was barely 5.

Puerto Rican artist probably brought Reggaeton back into mainstream radio / clubs again, but in no way did the genre originate in Puerto Rico.
k.lim 3:14 PM - 18 March, 2006
Do all Reggaeton tracks have that 1 drum program?
B-More has 2; the chopped Gaz & Lyn Collins
Does that make B-More 50% less annoying? sometimes?
it is real fast though, so i'm not sure of the exact percentage

(I'm not really sure if b-more has only 2, so don't all jump at once to try & correct)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:45 PM - 18 March, 2006
^^ same with Go Go Music here Washington DC

its a love it or hate it music, even for all kinds of music
k.lim 4:21 PM - 18 March, 2006
at least gogo's not locked. It's got "swing"
BUSTAMOVE90210 4:37 PM - 18 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Cali, I think you need to check your Reggaeton History books. Reggaeton originated as a genre called "Spanish Rap / Latin Hip Hop" back in the late 80's. Before there was "El General" there was artists that originated from Panama recording the genre. Later came on Ledesma an another artist named Gringo. Gringo had alot of talent, he released one complete production under J&N records in 1989. Unfortunally he found himself locked up in jail and was eventually screwed over by his label. The next year El General jumped on the scene and started to cross new borders with the genre. He introduced the sounds to the massive. The sounds took a diffrent twist 2 years later, it was the end of the Freestyle era and house music was begining to shine. Proyecto Uno started recording and added a house kick and a more tropical feel to the genre. And the story goes on. Eventually a new batch of artist started to emerge but by then the sound had started to mix hip hop / rap and was more hardcore (a la carte Los Playeros).

The sound was still called spanish rap, but it was too RAW/Violent for mainstream. So It was only played in underground clubs. Hence the name UNDERGROUND REGGAE emerge, same shyt diffrent name. For many years it remained so, until the sound went thru one final transformation. Producers started to mix in the dembow beat, started using a Bachata string feeling to it, artist starting actually using lyrics instead of freestyling off the top of their head and it became what we know it as today,

Think about this Cali, if it was originally from Puerto Rico. What artist were around in the late 80's doing what er know today as reggaeton? Daddy Yankee was only 8, Ivy Queen had just turned 10, Hector El Father, Tito El Bambino, Alexis, Fido, Angel, Khriz, Kartiel were all not even born, Tego was probably learning how to masturbate, Voltio was barely 5.

Puerto Rican artist probably brought Reggaeton back into mainstream radio / clubs again, but in no way did the genre originate in Puerto Rico.

hey chris i think you know what you're talking about. good history rundown. i'll have to research your facts. of course i don't think they'll have confirmation of Tego masturbating. lol.
Dj Karlos 5:02 PM - 18 March, 2006
Quote:

If you ask me, actually, I do agree to this up to a certain point... That may be true, but in Puerto Rico something else was trying to emerge.... by the mid 80's, the underground movement was very noticed, but it did not represent the pure emergence of a "reggaeton", but more towards east coast Hip Hop. Artists like Vico C, Brewley MC, Smoke, ect, were the ones responsible for this from the early 80s. They had a lot of success underground, but never emerged for commercial audience, so that frustration started to create the mood for a change, and the reggae rythms started to appear as a part of "experimentation", just to creat something to appeal for the commercial audience. Yes, they did get their influence from dancehall and panama artist that were also doing this. At 1990, there were already a few producers that were making beats that did mark the start of reggaeton, these being dj nelson, playero, rafter, ect. These artist got inspired by the success in the underground world of the hip hop movement, but were moved by different beats, they wanted to do something different, and this is more or less how they started. After that, a lot of early reggaeton started to appear with artist such as baby rasta y gringo, falo, bebe, rey pirin, hector y tito, alberto stylee, ect. After those guys started to hit a little commercial audience, reggaeton started to grow to what we know it today.....

Just to clarify, daddy yankee and all those guys you mentioned are just current artist that did not contribute to the begginings of reggaeton, but were aware, as we know daddy yankee was more like 13 rather than 8, and tego was already about 17... thought tego inicially was more into the hip hop movement rather than the "reggaeton" experiment.... Hector el Father and tito el bambino did contribute to the early reggaeton, they have more or less the same age as tego, but they did start in the pre-reggaeton movement and have stayed there since.

If any of you want some songs or anything from the early reggaeton, I will be glad to provide it to you, as also music of the beggings of the underground hip hop movement, which still as of today, Puerto Rican hip hop REMAINS underground, with main representations by artists like siete nueve, intifada,ea flow, ciencia fixion, madd steelo, ect.
BUSTAMOVE90210 5:28 PM - 18 March, 2006
great post dj karlos! now that i feel fully informed i still would like to keep getting postings from djs around the country and world to get a sense of how it's playing around the country/world. please list what city/country you're in. thanks.
capo di exmixah 7:02 PM - 18 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Why the fuck does somthing have to be "conscious" to be acceptable.....

all the dancehall songs are about pussy and killing gay people and jamaicans seem to feel that shit ......!

Proof that ignorance is NOT bliss... I get the impression that you've never been to, or know much about my country, and your above generalisations also lead me to believe that you are a top shelf novice as far as our music is concerned.

Consequently I'll regard your posts with a grain of salt. I'm now understanding your passionate dissaproval of Bob Marley, one of the most highly respected musicians (globally) or our time... your dissaproval is steeped in ignorance. Might I suggest when you get the chance, try listening to some of his recordings (the timeless lyrical content, and the essence of his reggae grooves)with a sober conscience and a more mature musical ear... Maybe then, you'll get it.

For the record...YES!! Jamaica is a predominantly homophobic nation (and rightly so cause homosexuality is immoral and is a social disease) but NO!! our music is not primarily concerned with "pussy and killing gay people" as you have so stoutly generalised. Once again sir, you have proved that ignorance is not bliss
BUSTAMOVE90210 7:26 PM - 18 March, 2006
personally i like reggae and dancehall even some of the stuff artists like vybe cartel and suncycle are putting out. the mere fact that there can be diversity within the reggae genre is a testimony to its staying power as with every music that's going to stick around a while (note: hip hop). so i pose the question again what specifically determines if a song will be categorized as reggaeton? without the "dem bow" riddim would you call the track a reggaeton track? or would you call it spanish rap? does this force reggaeton to always have a play on the same beat? if so how long can people possibly tolerate this?
DJLorrence 9:50 PM - 18 March, 2006
pussy and killing gay people. hahahaha
djHSL 10:11 PM - 18 March, 2006
"Homophobic" actually means fear of BEING gay.

Sound about right.
DJMark 12:32 AM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
homosexuality is immoral and is a social disease)

Quote:
your dissaproval is steeped in ignorance.

Enough said.
punosion 12:33 AM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
homosexuality is immoral and is a social disease)

Quote:
your dissaproval is steeped in ignorance.

Enough said.

x2. Admittance of homophobia doesn't make it OK.
BUSTAMOVE90210 12:44 AM - 19 March, 2006
how the hell did a discussion of reggaeton devolve into a discussion of homosexuality? stay on subject. let's discuss the main topic or start your own thread. thanks.
punosion 12:55 AM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
how the hell did a discussion of reggaeton devolve into a discussion of homosexuality? stay on subject. let's discuss the main topic or start your own thread. thanks.

Apologies, sir...shall we go back to Tego masturbating? ;)
DJMark 12:55 AM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:

Maybe the lyrical content of much of that "music" had something to do with it.

Seems pretty relevant to me, seeing as music can definitely influence people's feelings and behavior.
DJMark 12:57 AM - 19 March, 2006
And if you can't handle "your" conversation going off on tangents (relevant or not) I cordially invite you to have an engaging chat with the nearest mirror.
BUSTAMOVE90210 1:00 AM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Apologies, sir...shall we go back to Tego masturbating? ;)

that was just a pun based on the previous post. notice how i got back to the serious discussion of what this thread is trying to accomplish. i want to get a feel overall throughout the U.S. and around the world how this is playing at clubs. can we stick to that? i'm really interested in other djs opinions if i wanted to have a bigger discussion with a less informed group i would have started this in AOL or MySpace.
punosion 1:06 AM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
that was just a pun based on the previous post. notice how i got back to the serious discussion of what this thread is trying to accomplish. i want to get a feel overall throughout the U.S. and around the world how this is playing at clubs. can we stick to that? i'm really interested in other djs opinions if i wanted to have a bigger discussion with a less informed group i would have started this in AOL or MySpace.

All I felt the need to do was to comment on some stupid shit that was said...yeah it was a bit off-topic, you called me on it, so I posted foremost with an apology and a small joke. I have no further opinion on reggaeton...now I just want to get out of the thread, so can we all get back on topic please? :)
Dj Metro 7:29 AM - 19 March, 2006
la atrevida....dulce
Revolutionary 7:55 AM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
(and rightly so cause homosexuality is immoral and is a social disease

You can't just post something like that and expect that noone respond to your discriminating post.
DJMark 11:22 AM - 19 March, 2006
I think this needs to be pointed out:

Social Diseases: bigotry, prejudice, classism, materialism, misogny, un-checked capitalism, the Bush Administration. Okay maybe I'm kidding about that last one. Then again, maybe I'm not.

Homosexuality: a trait that, in 2006, has long understood to be a trait people are born with, very much like eye or skin color.

Ignorance: a correctable problem for which the first step to a solution is awareness of the problem. It's extremely unfortunate that so many people find themselves caught in the resultant negative-feedback loop.
Revolutionary 12:54 PM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
Social Diseases: bigotry, prejudice, classism, materialism, misogny, un-checked capitalism, the Bush Administration. Okay maybe I'm kidding about that last one. Then again, maybe I'm not.

Add discrimination to that list, man.
BUSTAMOVE90210 7:48 PM - 19 March, 2006
ok. so although musi is the international language we all know it can be used for satire as a form of social protest. i have read that this is how reggaeton started, but now it's about booty. can someone with knowledge of how this occurred explain how this happened?
DJK 8:08 PM - 19 March, 2006
mtv
Dj Chris Deza 2:04 AM - 20 March, 2006
Aint everything in life about getting a piece of ass?
Think about everything you do, it comes down to, that you are either...

A. "doing it to get new ass"
B. "doing it to keep a piece of ass"
C. "doing it to get back a piece off ass"
or the real sad one
D. "doing it so someone don't get your ass".

He who disagrees is not into getting a piece of ass but rather giving up his own.
DJLorrence 2:27 AM - 22 March, 2006
get ass! cha cha cha! get ass! cha cha cha!

ive found new ms new booty
mcqueen 5:29 AM - 25 March, 2006
RE: Rocktron or whatever your name be: "If you came out on the serato board and said you hated Morrissey I'd be like ok cool, I disagree but I wouldent jump in your shit....... TO A LOT OF PEOPLE MOZ IS MORE POWERFUL THAN SOME DEAD DRED........"

yeah, morrissey is plenty powerful to pimply depressed white kids with 80's nostalgia.

MOZ--you prolly got turned off to him cos all those crunchy kids you hated in school had him on de-fault when they didn't have a phish or a dead tape handy. oh wait--string cheese incident is what those kids love these days, right? dude. take stick out of your hole, spark up one and lively up your fucking self. and that's coming from a white girl who was pimply and depressed once, who still loves the smiths.

re: REGGETON. i'm from brooklyn but i live now in new mexico. back home, reggeton feels tired as fuck. out here, the vatos LOVE it. they all start shakin' it and yelling all over the place with fake puerto rican accents. that is some positive shit right there. seriously, i can't play it too much cos it drives me crazy, but in the right context it rocks hard. what do y'all think of those el general remixes?
Roctakon2.0 6:12 AM - 25 March, 2006
Quote:
dude. take stick out of your hole, spark up one and lively up your fucking self.

This Could Be The Lamest thing any one ever said to me.
You realize u just told me to chill out and smoke a joint? I havent smoked a joint in ten years and I dont know what it means to "Lively Up" dont you have children? is this the example you set for them suggesting people induldge in illegal drugs?

I fucking hate bob marley, I understand he's a world famous artist and that reggae music has been a big influence all over the world and on bands I really like like The Clash, Grace Jones, etc etc etc. I respect that reggae music is a powerfull force and its influence reaches the world over and is a lot bigger than the small country it comes from.... I just dont like to listen to it.........

but I like Athina & Donna Uptown top rankin and Max Romeo and some other shit... I just dont like Bob Marley, to me its strange religious music that I cant fuck with...

Im not mad at people who do...... I just dont....
Roctakon2.0 6:31 AM - 25 March, 2006
Proof that ignorance is NOT bliss... I get the impression that you've never been to, or know much about my country,

THIS IS TRUE

and your above generalisations also lead me to believe that you are a top shelf novice as far as our music is concerned.

THIS IS ALSO TRUE

Consequently I'll regard your posts with a grain of salt.

GOOD IDEA

I'm now understanding your passionate dissaproval of Bob Marley, one of the most highly respected musicians (globally) or our time... your dissaproval is steeped in ignorance.

YES IT IS.....

Might I suggest when you get the chance, try listening to some of his recordings (the timeless lyrical content, and the essence of his reggae grooves)with a sober conscience and a more mature musical ear... Maybe then, you'll get it.

I GET IT.....I JUST DONT GIVE A SHIT........I BELIEVE IN PEACE LOVE AND SHIT BUT I DONT WANNA HEAR IT THE WAY THIS GUY RECORDED IT.....

For the record...YES!! Jamaica is a predominantly homophobic nation (and rightly so cause homosexuality is immoral and is a social disease)

I FUCKING HOPE YOU FUCKING DIE OF AIDS FOR SAYING THAT SHIT IF YOU MEAN IT......
SOCIAL DISEASE........

YOUR FUCKING FAKE EXCUSE TO SMOKE POT PIECE OF SHIT MODERN FUCKING JOKE OF A RELIGION IS A SOCIAL DISEASE.........(i dont know if you a rasta but if you are...)

GOSH TO BAD YOU'R BOB MARLEY WAS A FUCKING IDIOT.........OR HE WOULD HAVE CUT HIS TOE OFF AND CONTINUED TO MAKE MUSIC INSTEAD OF BEING A FUCKING PUSSY AND NOT HAVE THE GUTS TO LIVE...... SORRY NOT RESPECTABLE...........

AND NEITHER ARE YOU U FUCKING IGNORANT PESANT........
mcqueen 6:45 AM - 25 March, 2006
dude. you asked for it, you straight-edge piece of poo poo. and yes, i do have a child. he's running a fever this evening which explains why i'm home insulting some anonymous, black clothes-wearing, cocteau twins-listening fucker on a board pertaining to a product i haven't even gotten in the mail yet, rather than at my gig. what's your excuse?

and i ain't even mad at cha.

back to reggaeton: i guess you don't have much to say on that subject...

marley lexicon entry #1

"lively up yourself," chorus from song of same title. def: "lighten the fuck up."

ps: ur funny, rockcockon2.0
mcqueen 6:52 AM - 25 March, 2006
um. i hope you're being funny.

and ps: mr. forum cop--please don't kick me off yet. i just got here and dude was saying mean things about bob marley.
djHSL 7:18 AM - 25 March, 2006
So we all have to like every artist that never washed his hair?

So we all have to loll around in a cloud of ganja saying "Ire mon!" ?

Actually, I take back that last statement, that's more general than reggae and/or Marly, and a hell of a lot more fun.

I don't like Bob Marley's music. It is as simple as that. And no-one should tell me otherwise.
Roctakon2.0 8:46 AM - 25 March, 2006
don't worry I'll be the first to go.... not you.

and I am home because I turned down work tonight.......to be with my girl....
nik39 3:40 PM - 25 March, 2006
Do you also shout everytime you speak with your girl? I hope not. I also hope you dont curse when you speak with her all the time.

Or maybe its just time to get a new shiny keyboard where the caps lock key does not hang.

Lets start to collect and donate for a new keyboard for roctagon. BTW, I heard you're a pretty decent DJ Roctagon. Or shall I call you DJ iPod? ;)
Dj Chris Deza 5:21 PM - 25 March, 2006
Quote:
don't worry I'll be the first to go.... not you.

and I am home because I turned down work tonight.......to be with my girl....

Shyt if I turned down money to stay at home with my girl I wouldn't even be around my computer. Shyt SSL would be the last thing on my mind.
el presidente 6:00 PM - 25 March, 2006
damn, i never thought i'd get on a thread to defend roctakon, but life is crazy that way. personally i really respect marley's influence on all music (as i beleive roc does as well), and i'm a fan of some of marley's stuff (moreso than roc), but i'm not bowing down to marley the way some people are. the problem with marley is that he is treated like a god or a deity by lots of people whose music knowledge is sometimes quite limited, and fall in love with the rasta lifestyle in almost a cult-like state. if someone told me they hated the work of kenny gamble and leon huff or holland dozier holland or quincy jones or even dr dre i'd think they're crazy and they don't know music, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

and on the second part of roc's last post, that part on bustamove's post about homosexuality was a very bold statement that i think warrants an equally bold response by anyone who feels like it. if he feels like shouting about what he perceives is an ignorant, discriminatory or hateful comment, fine with me.

and i am 99% sure i know who roctakon is (part of my job i guess) and if it who i think it is, he does have some solid skills. and he's got a really, really impressive knowledge of music. someone who i'd enjoy meeting and sitting down with and talking about music history and all kinds of different genres. maybe he acts like a dick on some other threads (let me rephrase - he does act like a dick sometimes), but i dont know that he's really flown off the handle here.

just my two cents. back to the sidelines.
nik39 6:43 PM - 25 March, 2006
Sorry for being an a**hole and bringing up the Rocatagon+iPod story (Regardless whether its true or not). That was a weak shot from me, and had nothing to do with this topic here. Sorry again, Roctagon.
el presidente 8:45 PM - 25 March, 2006
one correction on my post, it was capo di exmixah, not bustamove who said the bit that flared up roc. my bad, apologies bustamove
mcqueen 8:46 PM - 25 March, 2006
i am human and i need to be loved.
Julls 8:50 PM - 25 March, 2006
^^^gives you a hug^^^
nik39 8:53 PM - 25 March, 2006
o/^ hello+hugs queen. Can we have pics now? :)
Julls 9:01 PM - 25 March, 2006
nik39 9:04 PM - 25 March, 2006
Haha, that reminds me of Fight Club where he hugs this huge guy ;)
mcqueen 9:13 PM - 25 March, 2006
Quote:
mcqueen 9:14 PM - 25 March, 2006
Quote:

home.freeuk.com

some recent pix of me and my family...
nik39 9:15 PM - 25 March, 2006
Wow! I never thought female DJs would look so.... uhm... unique :)
DJLorrence 9:39 PM - 25 March, 2006
being ugly must suck.
Julls 9:44 PM - 25 March, 2006
hahaha thats great
Roctakon2.0 10:14 PM - 25 March, 2006
I have no secrets I am who I am... Roctakon is my name not a net alias...

If you know me you know I like to stir the pot.

The ipod think is a joke.... one of my friends was fucking around about....

and yea half the shit i talk on here is just for the hell of it, its not to be taken to seriously.

But I will not let some fucking pesant call being gay imoral, that kind of intollerence is whats imoral.

I dont know shit about reggae....... I dont really want to know much more about reggae than I already do...

when most djs are playing reggae at the end of the night im playing disco or rock, thats just me. I do me.... you do you....

If anyone would like to know more about me just ask.... Im actualy very nice and will help out any dj that I believe really wants to dj and is not just following a trend....

I dont really know that much....
I just know a little about a lot of shit, and I know a lot about djing... Lots about failing and a little about success
t. mallis 10:25 PM - 25 March, 2006
raggaeton is the worst..
mcqueen 10:49 PM - 25 March, 2006
roctakon: keep up ur shit talk. don't let them silence you.
DJLorrence 11:23 PM - 25 March, 2006
rock, post your picture with you holding that fat ass trophy.
Roctakon2.0 11:36 PM - 25 March, 2006
um...no I LOOK FAT IN THAT PICTURE........
Plus Its like 6 years old......
DJLorrence 11:41 PM - 25 March, 2006
i thought it was tight, i never won a trophy like that before.
Roctakon2.0 11:50 PM - 25 March, 2006
Well You didnt enter a who has the worst case of crabs contest like I DID.... DID YOU?
Dont Fuck Hookers in Russia FYI
djHSL 11:57 PM - 25 March, 2006
Why? Is your Mum still working?? *grin*
DJLorrence 11:59 PM - 25 March, 2006
LOL
cali 12:24 AM - 26 March, 2006
Can Some One tell me wich is the most used synthetizer in reggaeton??...and for trance?
Julls 12:29 AM - 26 March, 2006
Quote:
Can Some One tell me wich is the most used synthetizer in reggaeton??...and for trance?

Korg Triton
cali 12:44 AM - 26 March, 2006
for reggaeton or trance?
cali 12:45 AM - 26 March, 2006
i was thinking to buy the NordLead
Julls 2:14 AM - 26 March, 2006
If you go with any synth, I'd go either with a Korg or a Roland.
DJLorrence 5:37 AM - 26 March, 2006
anyone use that Roland Virus?!?! its just insane.
cali 5:39 AM - 26 March, 2006
Where can i buy the virus??...i've been looking in all the music stores....can someone tell me and the price??.
DJLorrence 8:11 PM - 26 March, 2006
its like 1799 i think retail. Guitar Center.
DJLorrence 8:14 PM - 26 March, 2006
oops Access Virus TI Polar Synth/Controller that is correct name

its going for 2765.00
capo di exmixah 9:46 PM - 26 March, 2006
@ Rockaton 2.0
Listen Faggoton or "Rocka-man's bottom" or whatever the hell your bumbo claat name is... as long as you have a right to "fucking hate Bob Marley", I'll exercise my right to view homosexuality as a "social disease". Sounds fair?...Yeah I think so...and by the way u might die of AIDS long before me since your reaction to my above stated claim, suggests that your are a Batty Bwoy!

You are clearly one of those assholes who thinks that people who do not view Homosexuality as "cool" or as "acceptable" are uncivilised. Since when was it mandatory to be accepting of this perversion. Well fuck u dickhead! I reserve the right to soundly reject homosexuality as un-natural and as Moral decadence. You don't like it...kiss my ass. On second thought, that might just be your thing, so I take that back.

You keep hating Bob Marley and I'll keep condemning homosexuality as FILTH.
nik39 9:58 PM - 26 March, 2006
Quote:
as long as you have a right to "fucking hate Bob Marley", I'll exercise my right to view homosexuality as a "social disease".

One is a statement about personal views. The other one claims to be a scientifical statement, which is plain wrong. Homosexuality from the current state of affairs is not a social disease. I really feel sorry for you having such narrow minded views.

Quote:
You are clearly one of those assholes who thinks that people who do not view Homosexuality as "cool" or as "acceptable" are uncivilised.

No, the assholes are those who have a problem with a man kissing a man, or woman a woman. If its not you involved, whats your problem? To each his own.

Quote:
Since when was it mandatory to be accepting of this perversion.

Read some Freud, you might redefine "perversion". Even a little bit of "switching brain from puffing mode to thinking mode" would be sufficient.

Quote:
You keep hating Bob Marley and I'll keep condemning homosexuality as FILTH.

Again, I feel sorry for you. I dont think roctagon would say "kill reaggae music+Bob Marley" while from your words I can easily imagine you were the type of guy singing "kill them batty bwoy". Tolerance is the key. And from roctagons words he seems to be tolerant, while you dont even seem to know the word.

You just lost all symphathy and support from me. And dont ever ever ever PM me again!
mcqueen 12:47 AM - 27 March, 2006
did you know that s.s. squadron leaders were also known as "capo"?

everybody knows that homophobes are really homos themselves.
djHSL 1:42 AM - 27 March, 2006
Capo Di Exmixah ...

... Capo Di Excrement ...

(roughly translated as SHITHEAD).
Roctakon2.0 3:08 AM - 27 March, 2006
Nik said it all.............
DJMark 3:46 AM - 27 March, 2006
Quote:
I'll exercise my right to view homosexuality as a "social disease".

This same kind of ignorant bigoted dogma had your ancestors in chains. Think about it.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:15 AM - 27 March, 2006
ummmmm... i'm having difficulty understanding this thread.
capo di exmixah 12:05 AM - 28 March, 2006
Whatever the fuck ever!
BUSTAMOVE90210 10:14 AM - 28 March, 2006
ok..i'm back. i've been busy with SXSW and spring break in Austin,Tx. i see the discussion is still going strong albeit off on a tangent of homosexuality. perhaps reggae, reggaeton and the subject of homosexuality are all linked. in the carribean homosexuality is absolutely despised. within reggaeton are the lyrics expressing anti-homosexuality also? i still would like to know how it plays around the country in a sort of un-official survey of djs throughout the U.S. specifically. so please include where you're posting from. thanks.
Roctakon2.0 7:03 PM - 28 March, 2006
It dosent play........it sucks........
AKIEM 3:26 AM - 4 April, 2006
it bothers me that people equate homosexuality with slavery, and I like to see girls kiss

raggaeton will probably get better with time
JINX 4:01 AM - 4 April, 2006
To be quite honest.....if you're not spinning in a Spanish venue, Nobody really apriciates the music,. The music rides the same drum pattern for EVERY record and unless the song hit the billboard charts, no one is really checking for Reggaton. It's a wack Genre, I play a tn of Reggaton because I get request for it in the clu I spinn (which has various ethnicities) Hip Hop, R&B and Reggae go over well but reggaton is only known for the Oy Mi Canto w/ Nina Sky, Gasolina and Dile by Don Omar, everything else is unknown. The music will die like Disco. (Remember Shake your Booty from 1977) That's Disco ya'll,, HA!!!!!! :-) Shake Shake Shake...........Shake Shake Shake.....Shake your booty,,,,,,Shake your booty........
BUSTAMOVE90210 8:36 AM - 4 April, 2006
Quote:
To be quite honest.....if you're not spinning in a Spanish venue, Nobody really apriciates the music,. The music rides the same drum pattern for EVERY record and unless the song hit the billboard charts, no one is really checking for Reggaton. It's a wack Genre, I play a tn of Reggaton because I get request for it in the clu I spinn (which has various ethnicities) Hip Hop, R&B and Reggae go over well but reggaton is only known for the Oy Mi Canto w/ Nina Sky, Gasolina and Dile by Don Omar, everything else is unknown. The music will die like Disco. (Remember Shake your Booty from 1977) That's Disco ya'll,, HA!!!!!! :-) Shake Shake Shake...........Shake Shake Shake.....Shake your booty,,,,,,Shake your booty........

interesting...i've found that it actually leads to people requesting more reggae and dancehall also
Dj Karlos 1:00 AM - 24 June, 2008
2008 - where is reggaeton NOW? just want to know what others think, then i'll post my side :)
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:32 AM - 24 June, 2008
Let's keep it plain and simple. Reggaeton in is DEAD unless you're hispanic. When it was the "new thing" in the states everybody jumped on the bandwagon. But with all the repetitive beats and the fact that most of the people don't understand what the hell they're saying...it's pretty much run it's course. It's still big amongst the hispanic crowd but not to the average club goer. There are only a few Reggaeton tracks you can play and forget about trying to break new reggaeton tracks to them, that's a definite floor killer
kalibhakta 1:35 AM - 24 June, 2008
BOOM TATA BOOM TAT, BOOM TATA BOOM TAT:

I love the rhythmic variations of this genre lol. I actually do like a few reggaeton joints, don't get me wrong. Since I don't understand spanish, it is more of a novelty thing. It could be fun to hear in a langauge you wouldn't expect. I wonder if any Swedes have ever done reggaeton?
DJ NightLife 7:46 AM - 24 June, 2008
Quote:
To be quite honest.....if you're not spinning in a Spanish venue, Nobody really apriciates the music

This is SO untrue. People don't even give a f*** of what the lyrics say. Even in english. In a loud club environnment, people don't go there to "truely understand the artistic side of the lyrics". They go to the club to have a good time, and enjoy the party based on how the atmosphere is.

I totally disagree it's getting less popular since girls always request that and it's mostly the music they generally prefer to dance on.

Just my 2 cents.
frost-9 10:00 AM - 24 June, 2008
I'm actually curious why people request it in regular lounges and bars.. (same goes for salsa, merenge, etc.)

I respect the fact that people of Latin descent are proud of their culture, their traditions, their music, etc. I understand that music is a huge part of being Latin. I don't understand people asking for it completely out of context... Like when you're crowd is full of people who routinely get off to fist pumpers like "Please Don't Stop The Music" and Bon Jovi sing along crap... I mean.. common now.. "Folks... we're gonna follow up that Livin On A Prayer with some Tito Puente!!!! ----- daaaaaaaat-dat-daaa-dat.... daaaaa-daaaa-nah-nah-nah-naaaaah.. daaaant dan daaaant"

I wouldn't walk into a Latin place and ask the DJ to drop a U2 track..
djaction 1:24 PM - 24 June, 2008
it's like reggae without soul..

but yeah it works with the right crowd.
Dj Chris Deza 1:43 PM - 24 June, 2008
Will u guys stop talking ill of the dead
sopranosupasta 1:51 PM - 24 June, 2008
I never liked it, never will. never played it, never will...... just not my cup o joe....
Fangirl 4:50 PM - 24 June, 2008
A couple months ago, I found myself in the front seat of a friend's car next to two giant packets of CDs. There was nothing on the radio (like always), so I grabbed them both and started flipping through. After just a few pages, I realized that every single cd in there was reggaeton. It was like the twilight zone. Cd after cd..."reggaeton 07" "reggaeton summer hits!" "sexxxy reggaeton" "reggaeton y cumbias" "oscar's reggaeton"...etc.

Now, I bring my ipod.
DJ G-NUTZ 6:26 PM - 24 June, 2008
Yeah some of the reggaeton tracks are good,but for the most part the beat is always pretty much the same. Except for artist like daddy yankee who are mainstream and tried different producers like Will.I.Am. But I can honestly say for the mainstream clubs reggaeton came in went.
alexplicit 2:04 AM - 25 June, 2008
electro-reggeaton is the new thing...like pachanga, now THAT is good reggeaton.
DJ G-NUTZ 2:06 AM - 25 June, 2008
Never heard of electro reggaeton.Pachanga? Do u mean Bachata?
alexplicit 2:10 AM - 25 June, 2008
nope, look up for pachanga
alexplicit 2:11 AM - 25 June, 2008
DJ G-NUTZ 2:15 AM - 25 June, 2008
Yeah sound pretty tight. So is that what u mostly spin? So why do u think reggaeton is not as big as it use to be?
DJ_STEVE 3:19 AM - 25 June, 2008
Yeah that song by pachanga did sound pretty tight. When I dj I like to mix up some merengue with some latin house and stuff like that. Might be a song I add into the rotation.
dj_elite 5:33 AM - 25 June, 2008
reggaeton is not big with non-latinos because the novelty wore off, plain and simple. with latin crowds, it's simply too repetitive and narrow to play a whole night or even a few hours of. i'm disappointed that more producers didn't try to break out and try to experiment w/ reggaeton. other than a few don omar and daddy yankee tracks, most of it is the same drum pattern, 94-100 BPM.

that said, i like it, i play it a lot when i can. its a big part of my latin nights (monthly). but i just... even as a latino i get sick of it, it's just too simplistic and people don't experiment enough- i know there are ways to experiment w/ the sound a little that people would still not mistake for anything but reggaeton... but nobody does it.

that and the group of artists is small and the demand, let's face it, is not huge, so the flow of music is not very big either. the latin mix station in NYC (one of the biggest latin markets in the country along with miami, LA) changed formats to reggaeton a few years ago when reggaeton was big. they tried keeping it almost exclusively reggaeton but i remember thinking the playlist was SO limited, until they basically turned right back into a tropical latin station (with reggaeton, salsa, merengue & bachata being about equal, as opposed to about an 80/20 ratio they had before).
DarianeFrancesca 7:56 PM - 14 January, 2018
One of the best reggaeton and pop music I've heard, in fact is a library of Latin music for advertising, movies, radio and TV. Latin music production, reggaetón, musical licenses.
mexicanmusiclibrary.com
Dj Farhan 1:40 PM - 10 July, 2019
Get in the zone wit an hr full of new age reggaeton ansd then go back in time with some ol skool reggaeton for the last 20 mins, here we go! www.mixcloud.com
Dj Farhan 10:03 AM - 26 November, 2019
This is for the mamacitas in miami! [mixcloud]www.mixcloud.com[/mixcloud]

Tracklist:
balvin - X equis ozuna rmx
Camilo, Lunay - La Boca rmx
Drake - No Guidance reggaeton rmx
Paulina Rubio - Si Supieran
CNCO - De Cero
ozuna - Confia rmx
Lyanno - Se Canso
gyptian - hold yuh farruko reggaeton rmx
4 am - Quiero
Daddy Yankee - Que Tire Pa Lante bambam riddim
alvarez - Una Locura
Noriel - Piropo
daddy yankee - Con Calma danzhall rmx
Sean Paul & J Balvin - Contra La Pared
Balvin - I Can't Get Euff
Don Patricio - Lola Bunny
Noreaga - Dame Reggaeton
Jay Fonseca - Wey Mami
Jerry Di - Verano en Paris
Jason Derulo - Mamacita
Kafu Banton - Tu Eres un Bom Bom
Jowell y Randy - Plácido
DJ Bitman - Para Tí
Dvicio - Brasilera
Gims - # 1
DJ Lady S - Mami Work
Balvin - Con Altura
Tyga, Nicki Minaj - Dip reggaeton rmx
GIMS - Corazon
Tyga - Loco Contigo flute rmx
Afro Bros - IG reggaeton rmx
balvin - Que Pena moombahton rmx
balvin - blanco
Farruko - Date Tu Guille
farruko - Baila Riddim
Sean Paul - cheap thrills reggaeton rmx
Major Lazer - Particula spanish rmx
Drake) - MIA moombahton rmx
Sean Paul - Like Glue reggaeton rmx
DYSTINCT - Panamera
Dj Geek - AYO
Major Lazer - Evapora
Becky G - Que Me Baile
gims - Marabout
balvin - it wasnt me 2019 reggaeton rmx
Anuel AA - Whine Up
DJ Snake, Sean Paul - fuego
Nacho, Noriel - Emborráchate
KONSHENS - TUMBA
Inna feat. Erik - Ruleta reggaeton rmx
Rihanna - Wild Thoughts
balvin, Willy William - Mi Gente danzhall rmx
Notch - Nuttin Nuh Go So bass beat rmx
DJ BrainDead - Ventura latin moombahton rmx
Cutty Ranks - Dale bambam
Sean Paul - Buscando Huellas
vegas - Quema
Pharrell - Blanco
Pitbull - Guantanamera
Daddy Yankee - Nena
Daddy Yankee - Lovumba 2k12 rmx
Daddy Yankee - La Despedida
OMEGA El Fuerte - Si Te Vas
Alvarez - Temperatura
wisin y yandel - quitame el dolor
Pitbull - Noche No Termina
Pitbull - Esta Noche rmx
Pitbull - Calle 8
Pitbull - Orguillo
Pitbull - Watagatapitusberry
don omar - Zumba drum rmx
Carlinhos Brown - La
Elvis Crespo - Bailar
pitbull - Suavemente
don omar - danza kuduro ai se tu pego rmx
dj ogb - Danza Kuduro rmx
Pitbull - Vida 23
Gente DZona - Vacaciones
daddy yankee - Limbo
pitbull - Oye Baby intro calle 8 rmx
Valentino - Sol La Playa
Revolucion Tipica - Me Estas Tentando
daddy yankee - bpm
daddy yankee - tu jean
2 bros - bandera houz rmx
gustavo lima - Balada Boa
WEPA MAN - WORLDWIDE LATINO ANTHEM
Comrade Tulayev 12:59 PM - 26 November, 2019
Cheesy bollocks for the most part.
RonDu 2:42 PM - 26 November, 2019
I thought it was gonna die out in early 2000's. Still going strong though.
Dj Farhan 6:23 PM - 26 November, 2019
Want some more reggaeton? Toma! Over 125 tracks! www.mixcloud.com