Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

convert mp4 to edit in final cut pro

mizu 2:53 AM - 7 January, 2009
does anyone know how to do this, i have searched everywhere and still cant make it happen
XRM5 3:06 AM - 7 January, 2009
You have FCP Studio? Then use Compressor.

If not, then use QuickTime Pro or MPEG Streamclip.

ProRes or DV50 are good formats to make sure you don't lose any more picture quality. Even an amazing SD MP4 is pretty useless to edit from. So much has already been reduced out of the picture.
mizu 6:15 AM - 7 January, 2009
when i try that my in compressor vid is white????
XRM5 3:22 PM - 7 January, 2009
Can you play it back in Quicktime? Sounds like it could be xvid or something QT doesn't natively do.

MPEG Streamclip or VLC could probably export it.

Installing Perian might make QT able to do it.
mizu 4:00 PM - 7 January, 2009
k thanx
henryjane 4:59 AM - 26 May, 2011
i know a step by step guide on how to import mp4 to fcp and convert mp4 to dv
www.bigasoft.com
DJMark 5:41 AM - 26 May, 2011
Just going to mention here, since it might be relevant to at least part of what you're doing, that for simple audio replacement (where you're not editing or otherwise changing the length) it's not necessary to mess with the video stream at all. So you can completely avoid the degradation from transcoding the video.

Just carefully edit/varispeed the replacement audio to exactly match what's in the video, encode the replacement audio as AAC with a decent bitrate (256 or higher), then remux your replacement audio with the original video stream.

MPEG Streamclip can do all the demuxing/exporting/remuxing needed for this. The varispeeding and editing can be done in any decent multitrack audio editor.

I do that for iTunes videos that aren't available any other way, and have bad audio soundtracks (very common for older stuff) or unwanted dialog/sfx in the video.

Otherwise, if you do need to edit, ProRes422 is a good format (FCP is very happy working with it, and the format is optimized for minimizing encode/re-encode degradation). Do the re-encoding to MP4 at a high bitrate to minimize any further quality loss at that step.
djpuma_gemini 5:25 PM - 26 May, 2011
why not just open up in mpegstreamclip and choose file, save as, mov.

Or choose render to, quicktime, choose the apple pro res option.
DJ Tanner1 11:34 PM - 31 May, 2011
prism converter works ?
growingemily 2:58 AM - 2 June, 2011
thanks henryjane, i just try your method, and it really works for me
mizu 3:10 AM - 11 June, 2011
Quote:
www.bigasoft.com

good post
mizu 3:10 AM - 11 June, 2011
if you notice the date of original post, i believe mpeg streamclip was not around at this time. if memory serves me right. But thanx for posting everyone.
henryjane 1:51 AM - 6 September, 2011
it is my pleasure, i am always here to help
goodbabywell 7:18 AM - 18 November, 2011
it will become better if it is totally free
naturalbeautyboy 8:49 AM - 2 August, 2012
my final cut pro can import mp4 directly
DJ DisGrace 12:43 PM - 2 August, 2012
Quote:
it is my pleasure, i am always here to help

Quote:
it will become better if it is totally free

Quote:
my final cut pro can import mp4 directly

I'm gona bet this is all the same person/spammer
DJ DisGrace 1:03 PM - 2 August, 2012
Quote:
thanks henryjane, i just try your method, and it really works for me

Quote:
Quote:
www.bigasoft.com

good post

and these guys too!
Jim Farrell 9:13 AM - 20 August, 2013
can i use it to import wmv to Final Cut Pro?
jonnerkass 7:54 AM - 9 October, 2013
How about the freeware Handbrake. I have used it to convert .mp4 video to ProRes422 MOV, the output MOV video works well on my Quicktime and iMovie. I don't have a Final cut on my Mac, so I not sure it also works. But this Mac video Converter(www.abettersoft.com) is obviously works for converting mp4 to ProRes422 supports well with Final cut.
djpuma_gemini 3:04 PM - 31 October, 2013
When you start your post with "hi friends" we know you're either selling something or trying to get me to send money for your "dear" friend.
DJMark 11:26 AM - 16 December, 2013
Until is it deleted by administrators, please ignore the crapware spam posted by "chris198810" and just use the (FREE, NON-CRAPWARE, NON-SPAMMING, AWESOMELY FUNCTIONAL) MPEG Streamclip for any such conversion tasks.

www.squared5.com

You're welcome.
Deejae Smooth 6:37 PM - 16 December, 2013
I use this program for video file conversions:
www.imtoo.com

Works REALLY well. One of the best utility programs I have ever purchased.
DJ DisGrace 10:22 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
I use this program for video file conversions:
www.imtoo.com

Works REALLY well. One of the best utility programs I have ever purchased.

Why would you bother? As DJMark posted above , MPEG Streamclip is free and superior
Deejae Smooth 1:33 AM - 17 December, 2013
Because I need the ability to convert any format to any other format with a very wide variety of render settings.

Can't get that from a free program.
DJMark 6:50 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
Because I need the ability to convert any format to any other format with a very wide variety of render settings.

I'd be curious to hear about an example or two that you use.

There absolutely are superior applications for conversion to MP4 (for use as playback files in SL/SV/ME) , but my experience tells me the ones offering meaningful improvements tend to be expensive or somewhat custom-designed (Sorenson, Episode, etc). NOT the kind of crap-ware/scam-ware that gets advertised by spamming.
phatbob 11:50 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:

Yes you can.

MPEG Streamclip.
Deejae Smooth 2:12 PM - 17 December, 2013
Once again..."any format to any other format"

Quicktime to Quicktime
AVI to Quicktime
MPEG 1, 2 or 4 to Quicktime
WMV to AVI

and on and on

Each with a ton of possible render settings.

It was worth the money.
freetimed 6:46 AM - 9 January, 2016
The Avdshare Video Converter has an excellent performance in converting MP4 to Final Cut Pro/FCPX.
Hoy1 6:44 AM - 5 August, 2019
if you want to editmp4 files in Final Cut Pro, you need to convert mp4 to a Final Cut Pro supported format first, First of all, you need to download a professional app like Dumpmedia Video Converter for Mac for help. The Mac converter provides fast conversion speed as well as loss-less output quality. For using videos in apps including Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid MC or devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, the smart converting tool even offers some optimized presets to make your conversion simpler.
Hoy1 6:45 AM - 5 August, 2019
if you want to editmp4 files in Final Cut Pro, you need to convert mp4 to a Final Cut Pro supported format first, First of all, you need to download a professional app like Dumpmedia Video Converter for Mac for help. The Mac converter provides fast conversion speed as well as loss-less output quality. For using videos in apps including Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid MC or devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, the smart converting tool even offers some optimized presets to make your conversion simpler.
popnwave 8:13 PM - 5 August, 2019
lol
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 7:27 AM - 7 August, 2019
That's the best spam I've read on the Serato board in years.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:33 PM - 7 August, 2019
He did end it with “Satisfaction 100% guaranteed” 😂🤣
ReresABER 9:31 AM - 4 March, 2020
You can import MP4 to Joyoshare Media Cutter to edit the video without recompression.
ReresABER 9:32 AM - 4 March, 2020
You can import MP4 to Joyoshare Media Cutter to edit the video without recompression.
DJ JaySmoke 11:21 AM - 24 June, 2020
Sup guys, so just recently I noticed that when I record video mix using serato video, I can't export the mp4 clip to Adobe premiere pro. Is there something am not doing right?? Thanks