DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Time to upgrade :(

Nicky Blunt 3:38 PM - 18 December, 2013
Been out of the forum loop for a fair bit now, hope all is good with you guys/girls i don't have on facebook.

Anyway, I'm gonna finally upgrade my mixer, (Hella reluctantly), but still, (my current ,mixer is the technichs sh-ex-1200 the one that used to be the dmc official mixer)

Seeing as Rane/Serato clearly have no intent ever to release a three channel mixer, my options are the 62, The 62z, The 64 (If it's compatible with serato) or the 68. (This mixer will predominantly be used to scratch with)

From the people who own these mixers what do you like/dislike about them?
Detroitbootybass 3:46 PM - 18 December, 2013
What about a used Empath?
Joee 3:52 PM - 18 December, 2013
the 62 will work like a 3 channel mixer with the aux input you just won't have a up/down fader, you use the aux in rotary nob

dj.rane.com ,the aux nob on the bottom left
Joee 3:56 PM - 18 December, 2013
wait or is it the session in? i don't remember but you have a 3rd input
Detroitbootybass 3:57 PM - 18 December, 2013
Doesn't the 61 do something similar?
boabmatic 3:57 PM - 18 December, 2013
the only issue with the 64 is that it only supports SDJ, the other 3 will support both SSL & SDJ.

I got a 62 a month or 2 ago and love it, (I came from a 57) I don't use more than 2 channels so the 4 channel mixers weren't on my radar.

u can use the 62 as a 3 channel mixer tho with the AUX channel just not with a fader or tone controls.
Joee 3:58 PM - 18 December, 2013
that i don't know….i think for a few dollars more the 62 is well worth it
boabmatic 4:00 PM - 18 December, 2013
Nicky Blunt 4:08 PM - 18 December, 2013
Yea to be honest the more I think about it, the more Im thinking eother the 64 (if serato compatible) or the 68, but Ive heard so many people have had problems with the 68.

Ideally I want to be able to assign all three decks to the cross fader so the 62 is out.

As for the used empath i did consider that but really want to start taking advantage of the on board effects serato has and another controller would be more to carry.
boabmatic 4:14 PM - 18 December, 2013
If you need more than 2 decks and you are not bothered about SSL support then I think the 64 is probably the best bet.

here is are some good videos on the 64
Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Nicky Blunt 4:25 PM - 18 December, 2013
no ssl support in the 64?
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:01 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
no ssl support in the 64?

Nope, SSL is dead after the 62
Nicky Blunt 5:30 PM - 18 December, 2013
OK so what would the benefit be of moving over to serato dj? Can I still use my Techs with it?
boabmatic 5:46 PM - 18 December, 2013
SSL is going obsolete so no more development and support will end in 2014.

SDJ will be the only software that will receive development from now on.
You will be able to use SDJ with SL2,3,4 and Rane 61,62,68 hardware like you do with SSL currently but it has added features that are not in SSL and will continue to be updated etc..

Full support for these devices will come in version 1.6 in Feb 2014 but you can try the public beta of 1.6 at the moment.
Nicky Blunt 6:00 PM - 18 December, 2013
wow, they are stopping making ssl? crazy! I bet that went over to a complete shit storm here!

Im assuming the new serato dj will be 1210/1200 friendly?
ta2423 6:39 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Yea to be honest the more I think about it, the more Im thinking eother the 64 (if serato compatible) or the 68, but Ive heard so many people have had problems with the 68.

I've had the 68 since it dropped. i haven't had one single issue with it. I aggressively use the 68 four times a week. My 57's have had small issues several times. Most likely going to stick with the 68 for many more years.
Nicky Blunt 6:57 PM - 18 December, 2013
Good to hear, but if sera to is dead in the water now, why buy a mixer thats no longer getting updates?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:39 PM - 18 December, 2013
Oh snap! The DMC died? And y'all thought I HELD ON TO Vintage mixers....lol..

RIP.

What's good Nick?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:40 PM - 18 December, 2013
PS, don't listen to them, get a 56s and SL3...

Set for life.
Joee 7:57 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
PS, don't listen to them, get a 56s and SL3...

Set for life.

no jhonny he want a empath sl type mixer, so get the empath and sl3…..but he wants a mixer with the sound card built in
the_black_one 8:04 PM - 18 December, 2013
At least someone wants to upgrade

Nm nh
Joee 8:07 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:

Nm nh

leave johnny alone he going to buy zxa5's …….Some Day?

he'll be part of the club!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:09 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Nm nh

He also was going to buy a macbook pro, there are several looooong as threads scrattered about throught the years about his desire to purchase one.

Dudes headstones gonna have a comment section asking for opinions on macs
Joee 8:27 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nm nh

He also was going to buy a macbook pro, there are several looooong as threads scrattered about throught the years about his desire to purchase one.

Dudes headstones gonna have a comment section asking for opinions on macs

ok i did see the thread about him asking reasons why he should buy one, but never one saying he was going to buy one, i must have missed this
the_black_one 8:38 PM - 18 December, 2013
He gets carp laptops for work so his cheap ass does not want to break down and buy a mac... He still has that old ass dusty speakers that look like mummy coffins ....

SMFH

NM NH
Nicky Blunt 9:06 PM - 18 December, 2013
I finally got on the mac bandwagon too! LOL So the mixer is all thats left! & yea Johnny after ten plus years of good service its finally getting to the point where replacement parts are difficult to find here, & the idea of less to carry seems super appealing. 1 mixer instead of mixer ssl box & a shit ton of phono leads.

I guess the 64 it is.
Nicky Blunt 9:07 PM - 18 December, 2013
ps i already own an sl3
Joee 9:12 PM - 18 December, 2013
ok so be a former diehard pc guy like johnny can we hear how much more you like the mac & you don't know why you waited to long to get a mac?
Nicky Blunt 9:05 PM - 10 February, 2014
Honestly the reason i waited so ling is because of money issues. When i was a regular on here i was in dull time employment. Life was good. My situation has changed somewhat since. I finally got a payout and i bought the mac instantly.

Stability, and latency would be the main thing really. Once the initial how do i do this on a mac is out of the way. The speed of the thing is incredible. My only gripe really is the lack of usb ports.

Can anyone reccomend a stable usb hub for sl3 dicers lpd8 mpk49 etc etc. Thanks in advance.
Nicky Blunt 9:05 PM - 10 February, 2014
Wow typos much. Sorry
Aden 9:10 PM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:
Honestly the reason i waited so ling is because of money issues. When i was a regular on here i was in dull time employment. Life was good. My situation has changed somewhat since. I finally got a payout and i bought the mac instantly.

Stability, and latency would be the main thing really. Once the initial how do i do this on a mac is out of the way. The speed of the thing is incredible. My only gripe really is the lack of usb ports.

Can anyone reccomend a stable usb hub for sl3 dicers lpd8 mpk49 etc etc. Thanks in advance.

I use an externally powered 4 way Belkin hub for my dicers and external hard drive. Runs about $30 at Best Buy. It works very well!
Nicky Blunt 2:07 AM - 11 February, 2014
Nice ill take a look my dicers keep jibbing out on my current hub!