DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

prx series

DJ Rud 6:57 PM - 16 December, 2013
i own jbl prx 625's and have never had one single issue with them ever over heating and i have ran them very hard at times. They were designed to run hot. Love JBL products and the incredible sound!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:36 PM - 16 December, 2013
Thats wonderful....chocolate chip or oatmeal?
Discobee 7:52 PM - 16 December, 2013
So then JBL comes out with the JBL PRX 700 series with the built in fan.......
Joee 7:58 PM - 16 December, 2013
everyone seems to love the jbl prx series, i can say this with absolute 100% confidence

i did a side by side comparison of the jbl prx715 & the yamaha dxr15, the yamaha sounds better
Joee 7:59 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

i like oatmeal chocolate chip it's the best of both worlds ;)
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:02 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting...you seemed like a Snickerdoodle kind of guy.
Joee 11:22 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting...you seemed like a Snickerdoodle kind of guy.

i can't lie like those cinnamon goodness cookies also ;)
djaction 1:47 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
everyone seems to love the jbl prx series, i can say this with absolute 100% confidence

i did a side by side comparison of the jbl prx715 & the yamaha dxr15, the yamaha sounds better

odd. i did a side by side and found the PRX615 to sound better than the DXR15. The DSR15 sounded better than both.
Joee 1:57 AM - 17 December, 2013
not to my ears, i have never been a fan of the jbl sound i always preferred the sound of ev boxes
Rebelguy 2:13 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:

I agree with this.
Al Poulin 4:14 AM - 17 December, 2013
Although the DSR115 gets louder than DXR15, the sound quality of the DXR15 is simply smoother and more natural to my ears with playback music. I would opt for the DSRs if I usually played for bigger crowds however -where the extra SPl and bigger horn could be beneficial. When we tested both DSR and DXR (my dealer and I) we did find the DSR115 to get noticeably louder than DXR15, but the sound quality simply wasn't as good to our ears. The top end was too much (painful at higher levels) and the mids needed some tweaking as the speaker seemed mostly lows and highs out of the box. Both DXR and DSR sound good overall, but I find the DXR15 to be one of the best "hi-fi" sounding PA speakers I've used. I use them in my studio for all of my music listening to be honest. I used my DXRs last weeked for about 200 older folks and they were able to dance in front of them - even at high volumes - without even giving me dirty looks. That, to me IS a sign of a smooth and ear friendly speaker. I DJ for this old age group every few weeks and have used a few different speakers. They do love my RCFs (which are what I had been using for the last 3 years) and now my Yamahas got the OK too. I actually received multiple complaints one time when I got lazy and brought out my Wharfedale Titans instead. Although I tried EQ'ing them as best I could, I received complaints from the guy who hires me, as well as his wife and another random dancer. They were asking me what was wrong with my sound system... That was the last time I had tried something different with this group. :-)
Al Poulin 4:23 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
i own jbl prx 625's and have never had one single issue with them ever over heating and i have ran them very hard at times. They were designed to run hot. Love JBL products and the incredible sound!

Designed to run hot, eh? Yes, because extreme heat is considered to be beneficial to electronics in general. Yes, because a PA speaker with an amplifier module being able to double as a George Foreman grill knockoff is convenient. :-) That said, of course not every single PRX 625 or 635 is going to have issues. Do you know how many thousands of these speakers were sold? The 625s and 635s are known to be the more problematic models in the PRX line, but I believe (from what I've read) that at some point some mods were made to the newer amplifier modules to reduce the possibility of overheating that some users had experienced. You have to admit that the addition of fan cooling to the new 700 line is a little funny for all of those that were denying the possibility that some JBL speakers may have had a small design flaw...
Johnnynights 4:51 AM - 18 December, 2013
@AI Poulin do you recommend the yamaha dxr better than the dsr?

I was actually looking to get the dsr or some qsc k12s
Al Poulin 4:59 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
@AI Poulin do you recommend the yamaha dxr better than the dsr?

I was actually looking to get the dsr or some qsc k12s

It depends on your typical application. The DSRs are more expensive, more powerful and have a much more durable (Line-X) finish. The DXR on the other hand have a much more flexible mixer built-in and more features, a lower price and I personally prefer the sound quality of DXR for playback music.

If you want as loud and durable as possible : DSR. If you as flexible and "hi-fi" sounding as possible, then DXR. Both are excellent overall and feature Nexo processing and a 7 year warranty in the US. Covers are highly recommended for the DXR cabs. Feel free if you have any other questions at all.
HighGrade562 5:48 PM - 18 December, 2013
I still have the PRX 500 series, never had a problem. Solid powered PA with a very full and rich sound.
Johnnynights 12:39 AM - 19 December, 2013
@AI Poulin thanks yeah im between them dxr 12 or dsr 12 since im going to use them with my cerwin vega cva 21" subs.

Not sure if the 15" would be a better buy i plan on always using atleast one sub with them.
Al Poulin 1:50 PM - 19 December, 2013
If you feel the DXR12s might not keep up with the CVs at really high levels, consider paying a bit more and go for the DSR112s. You will have a hard time finding a louder active 12" at its size and price point. The bigger compression driver on the DSR will be an advantage as well if you usually play at pretty loud levels. Only issue might be the crossover point on the HP filter, which is set to 120hz. (the DXR's is selectable for 100hz or 120hz). Not sure at what the low pass filter is set on the CV or if it is selectable, but you may want to check it out. Both speakers are good choices IMO. If you always use at least a sub, you might even consider DXR10s. Hi-passed, they get surprisingly loud. You won't hear anoticeable difference between DXR10 and DXR12 when used with a sub or two. Maybe try to rent a set and test them out?

Al
O.B.1 3:39 AM - 22 December, 2013
@HighGrade562
Is that wax on wax?
HighGrade562 4:01 PM - 22 December, 2013
It sure is. My vape pen is an essential part of my gear.
@school 8:10 PM - 1 April, 2014
hi,ive been following the replies here,i have just begun putting my rig up,and hopefully you can help me with my speaker selection,im doing this for the first time,
im in the middle east and as of now i have access to yamaha dxr15's and the jbl pxr715's,the jbl are much cheaper here ,i just need any sort of suggestion in order to help me lean towards one.thanks
Dj Rehab 9:40 PM - 1 April, 2014
I used the PRX715s at a wedding this past weekend. The DXRs are so much better, and it wasn't really close.
Asu 11:18 PM - 22 October, 2014
so DXR for me too i guess....need some 15" for house parties etc...need the low end :-)
AIRX ONE 1:13 AM - 24 October, 2014
I just picked up the PRX715s and love them really good speaker for the price i picked up 2 for 1450 out the door
Asu 1:12 PM - 26 October, 2014
Quote:
I just picked up the PRX715s and love them really good speaker for the price i picked up 2 for 1450 out the door

That's an excellent price...the DXR do sound better but man those PRX's are loud which is what many of us need....i'm thinking about getting a pair of 15"s for small weddings too/smaller gigs without the need for a sub...we still have some older PRX512 and those things have never broken down