Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Remote @ Android

JKey 2:32 PM - 16 December, 2013
Ok, Apple is the weappon of choice by many DJs and that’s ok.
However, not everyone is keen to support the fruity money printing on the entire scale.
When is an Android version of Remote / Remote Mini available? Android users love X-mas too … And there are many of them outthere!
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:07 AM - 17 December, 2013
Hi JKey,

I know a lot of people are wanting an Android version at this stage, however we have not developed an Android version just yet. We would love to in the future, however at this stage we only have it available for iOS :)

This is only version 1 of the software, so hopefully future versions will be available on the Android platform!

Regards
Sukhoi 7:59 AM - 18 July, 2014
Future is now :) Where is Android Version? :))
P.S. And "Day Mode Skin" in Serato DJ
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:58 PM - 20 July, 2014
Sorry Sukhoi, those two things are still a little while away. We have received a lot of feedback regarding these two features, so hopefully we can see them in a future version/update :)

Regards
Metaverse 11:05 AM - 5 September, 2014
We'are still waiting :)
OfficialBassick 1:45 PM - 5 September, 2014
Bump
Sukhoi 5:47 PM - 17 September, 2014
Yep. Really need this option on Android.
JonnyD'Lux 10:28 PM - 24 September, 2014
Bump.

There's money to be made here =) I understand the challenges tho... Android has tons of different models/screen sizes where as Apple is pretty uniform and light.
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:19 PM - 24 September, 2014
We are definitely aware of the challenges/rewards that this could offer, however it's more about our development team prioritising it into our current backlog of work to be done. We haven't forgot about the ol' green robot! I'll let you guys know when I hear any updates..

p.s I've got a Samsung S4 myself so i'm in the same boat as you guys :(
Afgelast 6:00 AM - 9 December, 2014
Only a few days left for Christmas!

Wanting a Remote present for a while now.
Davmix 12:45 PM - 9 December, 2014
+1000
&Midge 2:43 PM - 9 December, 2014
Surely you guys can simply outsource the conversion from IOS to Andriod?
Davmix 12:14 PM - 16 December, 2014
Bump
Tim_ 2:28 PM - 30 December, 2014
Up & Bump !
&Midge 6:13 PM - 22 January, 2015
Hopefully we might get this soon!

www.gearslutz.com

Come on Serato
Tim_ 1:45 PM - 25 January, 2015
This is exiting &Midge :D
djkee 10:58 PM - 5 April, 2015
Yes please
djkee 11:01 PM - 5 April, 2015
Coding for android has a lot of variables, butyou can roll it out for a few devices at a time like nexus & Samsung to start then add more devices later.
Solidsnake 4:03 AM - 9 April, 2015
Yeah, love playing around with it on my iPhone, just would love it on one of my tablets. My Nexus 7 is getting long in the tooth at this point, so going to either pick up the next iPad or a Nexus 9, depending on app support with Serato Remote.
DJ JaySmoke 11:27 PM - 10 June, 2015
We are still waiting. When is it going to be ready? It's June already and still nothing has happened come on guys.
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:47 PM - 10 June, 2015
Hi DJ JaySmoke,

Still no further information we can give on our end sorry. If we were going to support Serato Remote on Android it might still be quite a way away. If we had any kind of update to give I would definitely let all you guys know.

I understand a lot of Android users will benefit from this however I can't comment on how far along this project is and unable to give you any kind of timeline as to when (or if) it will be available.

Thanks
woodman438 1:15 PM - 23 September, 2015
Just a comment on the "day mode" for Serato, if you are using a mac then the "invert screen" option is the accessibility section of System Preferences is a winner for this

;-)
Robert Vibe 9:31 PM - 9 October, 2015
so.... it is now October. we're still waiting... but my guess is that if no one from Serato can "comment on how far along this project is and are(am) unable to give you any kind of timeline as to when (or if) it will be available.", then chances are it is never going to be developed... looked into or otherwise cared about really =( this makes me sad because I really wanted to like Serato... but with no Android support it's just not fair. Looks like VDJ8 is a better option Android users.
Tim_ 9:22 PM - 12 October, 2015
Also third party developpers could do a decent job if they were allowed to have acces to an api ...
DJ JaySmoke 10:39 AM - 14 October, 2015
I just don't understand why they won't allow. Must be a security issue!
MKEnts 11:44 AM - 2 November, 2015
Nothing still happening with this then? ? ? Come on Serato!
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:28 AM - 3 November, 2015
There's no plans for Android compatibility sorry MKEnts.

Serato Remote is only available for iOS at this stage.

Cheers
Mr Wilks 3:53 AM - 17 December, 2015
Shame as a developer has nailed a Traktor Remote.

play.google.com
&Midge 7:44 AM - 17 December, 2015
Keep the dream alive mate!!!! ;)
Jay-Dee 9:34 PM - 30 December, 2015
Dare to dream guys but don't worry, one day they'll understand
Mr Wilks 11:27 PM - 30 December, 2015
The irony is that Serato **is** the Android of the DJ world, creating one software for a multitude of hardware partners as each company vies for out attention like the crowded smartphone market.

Native Instruments are the Apple of the DJ world and keep it (almost) in house with their own hardware/software solutions.

As Serato ARE the Android of the DJ industry I'd expect a bit more love for the platform!
DJ JaySmoke 9:44 PM - 13 January, 2016
Quote:
The irony is that Serato **is** the Android of the DJ world, creating one software for a multitude of hardware partners as each company vies for out attention like the crowded smartphone market.

Native Instruments are the Apple of the DJ world and keep it (almost) in house with their own hardware/software solutions.

As Serato ARE the Android of the DJ industry I'd expect a bit more love for the platform!

Hehehehe true that
SadiQ1 11:11 AM - 4 February, 2016
I just realised how necessary this function is on Android....#Droid World. Hope soon #Serato touches Base #Realquick.
Robert Vibe 11:09 PM - 8 February, 2016
Quote:
There's no plans for Android compatibility sorry MKEnts.

Serato Remote is only available for iOS at this stage.

Cheers

like he said... its not gonna happen. unless maybe a developer was able to raise funds to petition serato for the API to develop his own 3rd party app. But that would cost $$$ because you're basically asking for the rights... highly doubt serato would ever let it go like that. its a liability.
DJ JBlair 11:38 AM - 14 November, 2016
I know its about $15k for coding of high quality, I helped produce music for an app company.

But America is 60percent android. Im sure at $20 for the add on it wouldnt take you all long to reimburse the investment and you would be competitive and make me a happy serato droid user!

Just saying😊
Indominex-Official 10:33 AM - 28 July, 2017
Hey there,

It's mid-2017 now and still no word regarding Android compatibility.
What about those who don't have anything with Apple ?

I mean, I do know OSX, as I used to have several iMacs and a Macbook.
But it's not all that perfect as Apple wants us to believe.

Since 70+ % of the entire planet runs Android, it would be a great addition.
If a Serato Android app would be released, I'd happily purchase it in the 30-50 euro range.

I've got a 13" Android tablet, an S6 Edge and more.
I'm pretty sure lots of fellow DJ's agree with me.

With regards,
Indominex
Wavespeech 8:13 AM - 29 July, 2017
I'd like to play with it on Android for sure, but wouldn't want to use it on the same device as my phone in daily use or my tablet with games and internet apps.

I have a 2nd dedicated Windows laptop for Serato, if I wanted Serato remote I'd probably pick up a 2nd hand IOS device and dedicate it to Serato Remote functions.
Indominex-Official 3:55 PM - 29 July, 2017
@Wavespeech,

Well, I don't have that much cash laying around to 'just' pick up a second (in my case 5th) device for all this. My family comes first, then my hobby :)

I'm pretty sure I can vouch for almost everyone in here regarding that.
Wavespeech 9:54 PM - 29 July, 2017
I understand the budget of expensive gear, but tech always gets cheaper 2nd hand. My laptop was £119 my Iphone 5s £38.

I even managed to get a iphone 4s, knackered headphone port £11, replaced the port for another £1.40.

Shop wisely, tech doesn't need to be cutting edge.
deejdave 3:04 AM - 30 July, 2017
Quote:
@Wavespeech,

Well, I don't have that much cash laying around to 'just' pick up a second (in my case 5th) device for all this. My family comes first, then my hobby :)

I'm pretty sure I can vouch for almost everyone in here regarding that.

In all fairness IF a device was really wanted to run Pyro it can be found for less that $50 but I do unserstand where you are coming from. The problem is that 70% consists of TONS of variations of phone hardware, OS & configurations etc. while Apple devices if you support 5 you support them all........... so to speak. There is also known Audio issues with Android devices better expplained byt others smarter than myself or at least with more knowledge on the subject. Point being with Remote, Pyro and other Serato video features (among others) being Apple only it is probably safe to say it won't be happening.
Mr Wilks 9:52 AM - 30 July, 2017
There's no genuine reason other than they don't want to.

If TouchOSC can have a fully working product for around 5 years then there's no reason other than them not wanting to code an Android version.

In 2017 there's no excuse like 'hundreds of different versions of hardware that react differently' when Mixvibes and Djay have shown us with their amazing Android portfolio (which actually process audio) what is possible.
Serato can do it. Mixvibes been have products with Ableton Link in. They just don't have the will or desire and would rather pump money into a different project.

Remote doesn't process audio and just triggers touchscreen actions which is instantanious and Pyro is basically a media player which doesn't need audio to be <20ms as it's just for putting on and playing. It needs to be as fast as the stock media player on the handset and it's safe to say it would be.

There's no defense on their part. They just aren't currently seeking to develop for the platform and that's final. They have no interest in making apps for Android users. There is NO technical restrictions preventing a release of thr teo products and the decision only hurts them financially by not having an extra source of income.

Alternatives are the only option. Try Splyce (Pyro) and TouchOSC (Remote).

Splyce is actually better than Pyro and TouchOSC needs a bit of setting up with templates etc.
DJ Trice 2:02 PM - 30 July, 2017
+1 wilks !
deejdave 2:11 AM - 31 July, 2017
That's right I forgot. This is is as easy as flipping a switch and Serato (along with many other developers) HATE money ;) Perhaps we can see the bigger picture here and realize it is Remote as a whole that is not getting attention. It is days away from being pulled from the app store entirely which is the ONLY reason it will be seeing an update of any kind...............
deejdave 2:39 AM - 31 July, 2017
Quote:
Splyce is actually better than Pyro

I won't even touch this one BTW. But I will leave this right here.............. Spotify
Mr Wilks 9:42 AM - 31 July, 2017
Ahhh. As a non-Spotify user I suppose it's not something I'd consider but Pulselocker was talked sbout coming to the Android version once they test how well it goes on iOS. Then again, Pulselocker in general?

We all hate money, don't we? ;)

It's clear there will be no love for the application on Android and that's basically it. It needs an update on iOS (which it will no doubt get) but there's no official plan for any Android development and with no technical reason other than "They have no plans to develop an Android version at this time" then yes, it's all about money, time and resources.
Investing time from an iOS team that built a free Pyro app over a paid for version of Remote for Android (while the buzz was big) seems a little strange but their strategy there must be working out somewhere.

The plan behind Pyro was to push the brand to the masses, including non-DJs. I'm gonna take a guess it's DJs that are using it to fulfil the need of a continuous mix option in their own main computer based DJ application.

I think the Remote ship has sailed now. Launch tming is critical and even if they did a version for Android, it would just sit in the Play store and be unloved apart from the 100+ die-hard people that would buy it. When the hype and buzz around a product is strong you release on all platforms and carpet-bomb social media covering all bases. A release for Android would just whimper in now that there's no hype. You can be too late for a product and this is almost prehistoric.

When Apple launched Apple Music with the Beats 1 station they even covered it with an Android app to get maximum exposure. That's how a launch is done. Cover all bases at the same time and you won't alienate 70% of your potential clientele.

Mixvibes cover all bases, Djay cover all bases and Pioneer cover all bases. Serato? We'll stick with iOS thanks! That's cool. It's a free world and Serato can develop for whatever platform they like but dont cut off a very VERY big percentage of your potential clientele just because you want to be exclusive to one OS. Write once for both operating systems isn't new and it's how many applications are developed.

Honestly... I actually don't think it's worth it now. I think the bubble burst and it would be too 'niché', which is a huge shame.
kurlee 12:52 AM - 8 September, 2017
The serato team is partial to Apple. Makes one wonder is serato is being paid/funded by apple.... juzt sad that They don't care about android people. It's a surprise they have serato for pc. After what I read in this thread, I'm slowly losing faith in serato.
DJ TooHypE 12:21 AM - 14 September, 2017
Waiting still =/
popnwave 3:50 AM - 14 September, 2017
Considering the app hasn't been updated on iOS in ages I seriously don't think they care. Move on.
deejdave 10:12 AM - 14 September, 2017
Was updated about a month ago. Nothing new but certainly updated for 64 bit support.
popnwave 1:11 PM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:
Was updated about a month ago. Nothing new but certainly updated for 64 bit support.

Housekeeping doesn't count! :D
dj.kinetic 6:48 PM - 18 September, 2017
if u want other OS support, try another product like Rekordbox/Traktor...Serato has always been partial to the Apple ecosystem...for example i tried to use Serato on windows and without optimizing things Serato just didn't run as well on Windows as OS X out of the box...tbh Rekordbox is actually really nice...but I came back to Serato, cause Rekord still has some bugs and issues to be worked through...also importing my library into Rekord was a huge pain due to file location character limits..
deejdave 10:51 PM - 18 September, 2017
Traktor's Mobile DJ app is iOS only. Pioneer DJ's Mobile DJ app (WeDJ) as well as RMX-1000 are both iOS only as well. Djay Pro (Mobile), DJ Player Pro, MegaSeg (list goes on) are all Apple only as well. Would be great to have all OS supported but let's be fair and disclose this is not JUST Serato and is actually DJ/production apps as a whole.

Furthermore I would say moving from Serato to Rekordbox (or Traktor) is actually quite easy as well via RekordBuddy but that is Apple only as well :)
Indominex-Official 12:46 AM - 8 November, 2017
In my opinion, if they allow Serato to work on Windows, they should also release an Android (or Windows Phone) app ..
Da.B 6:11 PM - 26 August, 2018
Any News? ;(
r.b. 7:11 PM - 27 November, 2018
Original post was in 2013. It's the end of 2018 and still no Android software?
Virtual DJ has it, just saying!
dj_soo 6:34 AM - 28 November, 2018
considering the iphone app hasn't seen an update in nearly as long, I wouldn't hold my breath
cotdagoo 5:11 PM - 4 December, 2018
makes you wonder what the developers have been so busy with all these years...

is there anything significant to show feature wise since 2013?
deejdave 12:00 AM - 5 December, 2018
The Developers are just part of the team at Serato and yes it is safe to say a lot has happened since 2013 LOL.
Dj.Mitch 2:16 AM - 27 March, 2019
Crickets!
cotdagoo 2:48 AM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
This is only version 1 of the software, so hopefully future versions will be available on the Android platform!

Serato staff circa 2013:

Quote:

version 1 and DONE lol

Has anything happened with iOS Remote since 2013? I havent been keeping up.
DJ JaySmoke 12:46 AM - 24 April, 2019
I doubt it bro!! I don't understand myself
Telony Ex 4:32 PM - 24 April, 2019
Remote. Pyro. Sample. Video. All left in the graveyard.
Simetimes i wonder how hard would it be to get tidal into pyro.

Or even ad the additional 2 buttons to the sp6 in remote.
Logisticalstyles 5:06 PM - 24 April, 2019
Quote:
Has anything happened with iOS Remote since 2013? I havent been keeping up.

The last real update was in December 2014. Then in July 2017 they updated it to be compatible with iOS 10.3. It's been quiet ever since then.
Maggot_Soldier 6:24 AM - 14 September, 2019
Any android port?
deejayfatcat 9:45 PM - 14 September, 2019
They should give it away at this point