DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Venting thread. Dj just ruining my dinner....

Ollie 5:26 AM - 8 December, 2013
Currently at my fiance's company Christmas party. Dj playing cha cha slide during dinner portion. Puts himself out as a professional, business cards and all, even a collard shirt with his Dj company's logo. Probably got paid well.....yet no sense of programing He didn't even bring any lighting. I'm looking at a dance floor with no lights. They just dimmed down the houses lights. Can't hate his hustle but this is straight wack! Fiance just started this job so I'm gonna make sure I take next yrs Christmas party. !
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:55 PM - 8 December, 2013
This is funny. Even though I wouldn't play the Cha-Cha slide during DINNER, I don't bring lights...
DJ Reflex 3:31 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:
This is funny. Even though I wouldn't play the Cha-Cha slide during DINNER, I don't bring lights...

No lights??? That's blaspheme! LOL Lights are what actually got me into DJing.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:33 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:

No lights??? That's blaspheme! LOL Lights are what actually got me into DJing.

Ha, "Music" is what got me into DJ'ing..

I've been to many a party, where the only lights were emitted by the turntable popups and strobe.
lvmez 3:48 PM - 8 December, 2013
I used to do the same. Then I bought some uplighting and now I'm obsessed with lighting. Lighting is a difference wether you get a gig now a days. I'm slowly building up my lighting. Just purchased some moving heads.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:02 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:

same
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:04 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:
Currently at my fiance's company Christmas party. Dj playing cha cha slide during dinner portion. Puts himself out as a professional, business cards and all, even a collard shirt with his Dj company's logo. Probably got paid well.....yet no sense of programing He didn't even bring any lighting. I'm looking at a dance floor with no lights. They just dimmed down the houses lights. Can't hate his hustle but this is straight wack! Fiance just started this job so I'm gonna make sure I take next yrs Christmas party. !

question, when you say he played the slide durring dinner, do you mean DURING dinner, as in food is currently being served\people just started eating. Or durring dinner as in people were pretty much done eating and he was trying to migrate them from the tables to the dance floors but you hadnt finished your mashed potatoes?
DJ VEE 5:07 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

question, when you say he played the slide durring dinner, do you mean DURING dinner, as in food is currently being served\people just started eating. Or durring dinner as in people were pretty much done eating and he was trying to migrate them from the tables to the dance floors but you hadnt finished your mashed potatoes?

Either way, that track (most circumstances), is played after all the food, including desert, is done and the tables are cleared.
Like the track or not, it usually works to get people out on the floor.

Not sure why he would be in a hurry to fill the dance floor before dinner is done anyway, it probably won't work no matter what you do.

Gotta give people some time to use the restroom, go get a drink, go outside and have a smoke, mingle a little, whatever. Good time to warm them up, not try to have them rush to the dance floor.

Just a guess here, but depending on what he was plying during dinner, like really mellow dinner type music you might throw on at a wedding or something, he probably had some comments about picking up the pace.
Instead of some more upbeat toe tapping stuff that the people can listen to, (it's a party, not a wedding), he probably jumped right in to Cha Cha Slide.

Just a thought. Sounds like he is trying too hard to please every body instead of taking control of the music and the dance floor as he should.
DJ VEE 5:09 PM - 8 December, 2013
(it's a party, not a wedding),

Meaning that a company Christmas party is not as formal as a wedding. Different dinner atmosphere.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:15 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:

Meaning that a company Christmas party is not as formal as a wedding. Different dinner atmosphere.

Thats my point, if it was a wedding id understand waiting but for a company christmas party i dont see why youd wait for tables to be cleared and smoke breaks ect ext. By then youve already lost em, get em off their asses and introduce em to the dance floor and let em go back and forth. Not saying play it as soon as the meal arrives but no point in letting everyone get bored starring at a dead dance floor for more than half the party #my2cents
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:34 PM - 8 December, 2013
These corporate Xmas parties are usually buffets, so it's pretty easy to determine when cats are DONE or winding down the meal.

Just make sure YOU finish eating before they do...., cuz I'll make them WAIT....lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:35 PM - 8 December, 2013
Don't feed me last dammit.
DJ VEE 5:42 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Thats my point, if it was a wedding id understand waiting but for a company christmas party i dont see why youd wait for tables to be cleared and smoke breaks ect ext. By then youve already lost em, get em off their asses and introduce em to the dance floor and let em go back and forth. Not saying play it as soon as the meal arrives but no point in letting everyone get bored starring at a dead dance floor for more than half the party #my2cents

True. I see your point. In the end it's gonna be a judgement call. Just sayin that I'm not sure I would throw in something like the Cha Cha slide right away.
By all means, get them up and moving, rotate the dance floor.
Just thinking that the Cha Cha Slide is pretty popular, so I would hang on with that till I notice that people have had a chance to do their thing regarding restroom, smoke, etc.
If you play it too soon, the one or two drunk girls or so, will request it later on and bug the shit out of you to play it. I know, I know, "too bad, I already played it." Just sayin that if you don't have to so soon, save that for a little later.
The last thing you want, (as an example), is the big boss' wife requesting that later because she was doing something else, (mingling and being social with the guests), and did not have a chance to dance to it.
Of course, none of this is carved in stone. Each situation is going to be different.
As a general rule of thumb, I play the participation/ line dance stuff after the usual after dinner activities and obligations are done. But if I feel I need to throw it in earlier, I would.
DJ DisGrace 5:45 PM - 8 December, 2013
LOL was is FunkyRob?
twitter.com
DJ VEE 5:49 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:

Remember a corporate Christmas party we did. Not only did they not feed us, but just getting some water was a huge ordeal. There were three of us, there were 1200 guests, and the hose had these big old school spot lights on us.

The house staff were just being total dicks and giving us a huge run around.
Joee 5:57 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:
I used to do the same. Then I bought some uplighting and now I'm obsessed with lighting. Lighting is a difference wether you get a gig now a days. I'm slowly building up my lighting. Just purchased some moving heads.

up charging sometimes makes you more money that you charge just to dj, got to love it, up lighting seems to be were it's at now a days
Ollie 6:24 PM - 8 December, 2013
Cha cha slide was played at dinner I was still eating my entree. Desert hadn't been served. The timing was so off that no one danced to it. Everyone was busy eating. I gave my girlfriend the WTF look. She did the same look. After the song had finished he went right back into dinner music. This is where the I'm a professional dj charging you $1000 bugs me. He was an older cat probably late 40s. They know how to market themselves to do these big corporate events yet when it comes down to the gig they can literally ruin it with bad programming. They can't keep the floor going. They'll burn through all the great music at the wrong time. When they can't keep people on the floor, the guest go home early. He had to play cha cha slide a second time but by then 50% of the guest had left. These DJs get paid well to do great job but the unsuspecting client gets burned in the end. They don't get the party they should have received. But the client doesn't know any better cause they're not a Dj. As for my back ground, I've been blessed to be surrounded by great DJs who are great programmers. So I've seen a wedding/ corporate party stay hott till the very end where people had to be forced to go home. Been involved in the mobile DJ thing for 15+yrs. I'm from Cerritos Ca. if that means anything.
Maskrider 10:29 PM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:

This usually happens on mobile gigs…I hate it…lol
BIGG BEAR 11:50 PM - 8 December, 2013

How come no lights?
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:07 AM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:

How come no lights?

$$$
DJ Reflex 12:08 AM - 9 December, 2013
I just ordered some new lights this weekend. Can't wait to test them out in the living room before I take them on the road! :)

As far as eating... Most of the time I hang out with the photographer at a dinner table somewhere in the corner (always furthest away from stereo), but I do get to eat. Had a few where, like DJ Vee said, they didn't serve me or my wife. I was kinda pissed because there were plenty of open seats and lots of food left over.

i1148.photobucket.com
Ollie 3:10 AM - 9 December, 2013
Nice lights Reflex.
DJ DisGrace 4:00 AM - 9 December, 2013
This is why I like to play at West Indian gatherings.... One red parcan in the corner. Done.
Dj Shamann 12:47 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:

Me neither, nobody ever seems to care even when I ask. I've rented a Chauvet 4 bar and mini Galaxians before and stuck 'em on the tri-pod, but it's rare.

I wanted to start looking at some lighting in the new year, but who knows
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:48 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

How come no lights?

$$$

Yep. That's extra work.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:49 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:

I wanted to start looking at some lighting in the new year, but who knows

Ditto here. What's a good "single" decent light that won't require a truss?

A stand is fine, but truss? Nah.
Dj Shamann 12:56 PM - 9 December, 2013
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:06 PM - 9 December, 2013

Holy *ish!

That was amazing @ a 4 minute setup.
lvmez 2:24 PM - 9 December, 2013
When buying lights, stay away from the cheap effect lights. In the long run you will get tired of them.

Start with a minimal of four uplighting fixtures and then get some moving heads.

Better lights, better gigs.
DJ Remy USA 6:46 PM - 9 December, 2013
I dont bring lights cause customers dont want to pay for them
DJ Remy USA 6:50 PM - 9 December, 2013

I might get one of these today
DJ Remy USA 6:52 PM - 9 December, 2013
these are cheaper

www.guitarcenter.com
Ollie 7:09 PM - 9 December, 2013
The least this DJ could have done was bring 1 light. True, extra lighting means more work and you may charge extra but if ur not bringing ur whole set up, at least bring 1 light. Dj shouldn't forget that these events are important when ur marketing yourself to future clientele.
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:15 PM - 9 December, 2013
True.

Small events I bring small LED effects. Nothing special but it helps make the dance floor during those times.
Now if you want to pay...then I bring out the trussing, moving heads, light up façade etc...
Taipanic 8:20 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:
True.

Small events I bring small LED effects. Nothing special but it helps make the dance floor during those times.
Now if you want to pay...then I bring out the trussing, moving heads, light up façade etc...

+1
I will bring out a small laser & 1 or 2 LED effect lights like the Revo III on a stand as part of my basic package. If they want a full lighting package, it includes Effects, Washes, Lasers & Moving Heads at a substantial cost.
I feel a lack of all lighting sometimes dampens the mood and makes it harder to get certain groups going. I also feel the customers leave happier feeling they got a full entertainment package rather than paid some guy to play some music.
DJ Remy USA 8:57 PM - 9 December, 2013
whats a good light package something simple for under 300 what do you guys reccommend
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:21 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:
The least this DJ could have done was bring 1 light.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:25 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:
whats a good light package something simple for under 300 what do you guys reccommend

I bring 1 (or 2 depending on the size of the room) Chauvet Mini Kinta's. They look good, just plug in and let run. I mount them on my speaker poles right under the speaker.

I did however find one of them the Blue LED went out, Chauvet hasn't gotten back to me yet about it. They are less than a year old.

www.chauvetlighting.com
Joee 9:26 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:

if you haggle you'll get this right around $300-----> www.proaudiostar.com
lvmez 9:33 PM - 9 December, 2013
That is a good place to start.
DJ Reflex 12:49 AM - 10 December, 2013
Lights seems to be my passion nowadays. I'm into black light parties (UV) and marketing as such this year. My suggestion is to pick a particular theme and go gung-ho with it. If it's Up-Lights... then buy at least 6 cans or mini strips and start upcharging for them. You can easily get $100-200 extra for just 6 and you don't even have to DMX them. Get the battery operated ones and turn them on purple - you're set!

My goal last year was to add some bright scanners to my rig. I found the ADJ Inno Rolls to fit the bill. I also upgraded my strobes and fog machine. My laser show has also been substantially improved as well as my bubble machines. Yeah, I got it all - including confetti.

If you offer even one added effect to your show, you can pay it off within the year if you market it right. Set-up and tear down is a pain, but I practice this in my living room well before I take this stuff on the road. I got shortcuts and simplified clamps, straps, velcro, storage cases, and plugs to make it quicker and easier. Start small if you must and upgrade when the money rolls in.
lvmez 1:03 AM - 10 December, 2013
I'm also looking into a laser. Might get the ADJ Royal Ruby or the ADJ Matrix Beam LED.

A decent light show will have a lasting effect.
DJ Remy USA 4:16 PM - 10 December, 2013
I got 2 chauvet flat pars and a T bar to start out probably gonna go back and get that used revo 3 I saw last night
Taipanic 6:55 PM - 10 December, 2013
Quote:
I got 2 chauvet flat pars and a T bar to start out probably gonna go back and get that used revo 3 I saw last night

The Revo 3 is a good fill in light, puts a lot of beams on the floor for a simple plug in and go fixture. Also looks good on the ceiling over the crowd when you have better lights for the dance floor.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:03 PM - 10 December, 2013
Is the revo 4 still considered a good light, i remember people jockin it when it came out
 6 7:20 PM - 10 December, 2013
I actually prefer the Revo 3 over the Revo 4. However, Either one is best when combined with other lighting.

nm
DJ Remy USA 7:22 PM - 10 December, 2013
So that means I must go back and get the revo 3. Im just pairing it with 2 pars and Im setting everything to auto since I have no DMX.

Whats the diff between revo 3 and revo 4
 6 7:24 PM - 10 December, 2013
The revo 3 is like a flower effect. The revo 4 is a square.

nm
DJ VEE 7:32 PM - 10 December, 2013
Quote:
So that means I must go back and get the revo 3. Im just pairing it with 2 pars and Im setting everything to auto since I have no DMX.

Get one DMX cable at least and use it for your slim pars. This way they will at least do the same thing on either side of the Revo.

Run the slim pars in the master / slave mode, 3 or 7 channel mode. Have them all activated by sound.

A 10 ft DMX cable is around $10. Small price to pay to have a cleaner and symmetrical look to the lights flanking the Revo 3.

My 2 cents.
DJ Remy USA 8:39 PM - 10 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Get one DMX cable at least and use it for your slim pars. This way they will at least do the same thing on either side of the Revo.

Run the slim pars in the master / slave mode, 3 or 7 channel mode. Have them all activated by sound.

A 10 ft DMX cable is around $10. Small price to pay to have a cleaner and symmetrical look to the lights flanking the Revo 3.

My 2 cents.

what do I do with the one DMX cable do I jus connect both pars and then what do I do next? Im really learning about lights and its a lot to learn.

I know this may be a dumb question but are DMX and XLR interchangable? If not can they at least be substituted in a pinch?

This master slave mode, Im assuming I set one to slave and by default the other light becomes the master?
Discobee 8:44 PM - 10 December, 2013
"Just Say No To LED Dot Lights"
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:28 PM - 10 December, 2013
Quote:

?
djaction 10:06 PM - 10 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

?

They scream wedding dj in a rented tux.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:08 PM - 10 December, 2013
Whats an LED dot light though
djaction 10:09 PM - 10 December, 2013
REVO3 and REVO4
djaction 10:10 PM - 10 December, 2013
Anything that does this: www.zestqatar.com

They are the goto lights of cats that just got VDJ and a $300 PA system. There are much better and more professional looking options out there without having to break the bank.
phonze 10:22 PM - 10 December, 2013
I normally don't do lights either just because I know the customer will not want it at the price I have to quote them. Ain't cheap. But yeah, if I can get a decent set up just under $300 bucks for small places, charge maybe an extra 200-300 bucks might be worth it.
DJ VEE 10:26 PM - 10 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My 2 cents.

what do I do with the one DMX cable do I jus connect both pars and then what do I do next? Im really learning about lights and its a lot to learn.

I know this may be a dumb question but are DMX and XLR interchangable? If not can they at least be substituted in a pinch?

This master slave mode, Im assuming I set one to slave and by default the other light becomes the master?

Take the DMX cable and run it from the DMX Out port ( on the light that will be your master), to the DMX In port ( on the light that will be your slave light). You can daisy chain more lights, the fist will be the master, the rest will all be considered slave and so exactly what the first one does.

Go through the menu and settings for the first light in the chain. You can download the manual, ( heads up, they are not that good ). Set the second, or following lights to operate in slave mode.

Not sure if DMX & XLR cables are "officially interchangeable", but I do know that you can use an XLR instead of a DMX (as long as it is a three pin DMX instead of five pin DMX - for obvious reasons).

I have used XLR cables for DMX control of lighting. It's a three wire cable after all. I think that DMX control cable is a lot thinner and would not be able to handle use for sound. I imagine you can always use XLR for DMX control but not DMX for XLR, even though the pins are the same. DMX cable is cheaper, explaining why it would be a different type of cable. If all you did was lighting, no need to buy a more expensive DMX cable.
BIGG BEAR 11:10 PM - 10 December, 2013
So are some people doing mobile gigs without any lights whatsoever,like weddings and birthdays etc.
I could understand someone doing a small bar gig without lights but not a wedding.
Over this side of the pond i suppose lights are expected.

Quote:
There are much better and more professional looking options out there without having to break the bank

more examples please
DJ VEE 11:39 PM - 10 December, 2013
@ Remy ( and anyone else interested )

Put a piece of tape on the back of the lights and write down the settings you entered in the menu options. Also which light you are housing in master mode and which one is used in slave mode. Also any address you are using if using with a lighting control program.

This way, you will not be scratching your head trying to remember, ( or trying to figure out the not always so helpfull instructions in the manual if you were lucky enough to bring one along) as your setting up for a gig.

Had too many times when we left with plenty of time and stuff happens on the way. Set up the lights and they are on different settings from being handled or dip switches moved from being in the case, all kinds if things.

I started to write down the settings, now it's a simple verification that they are still the same.

Just something that I do. Thought it might also be useful or helpfull to someone else .
DJ Reflex 11:56 PM - 10 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
There are much better and more professional looking options out there without having to break the bank

more examples please

The small LED dots are a tell-tale sign of cheap lights. When they first came out, they were a huge improvement to old halogen fixtures that got hot and showed a filament pattern. I still use my Derby X lights, but have gone to bigger lights like the barrel rollers and some moving head fixtures.
Nothing wrong with LED dots if you are just starting out. The Revo series can be used effectively. Also look into a couple cheap moon flower effects like the Mini Moon (Chauvet) or the Sparkle / SunRay LED (ADJ). Just two of these can create tons of beams that look good on the floor/ walls/ ceiling/ air (with fog).

I do have different lighting for different events, but the concept is the same. Use the lights sporadically to keep them novel. Nothing worse than the same light beaming in your eyes all night. Fast songs, slow songs, no songs... same light going... yuck!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:20 AM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:

Man, keep that train of thought OVER THERE, lol...

Next thing you know, they'll want me to start showing up on time and whatnot.... :-)

True Story -> Potential Customer comes up to me and asks if I'm the type of DJ who gives away prizes, leads line dances, blows up balloons and stuff like that...

I was like "No, I don't do any of that"...

She was like "Whew!, Ok, let's talk"...
DJ Reflex 12:55 AM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:

LOL - Nice!
BIGG BEAR 2:31 AM - 11 December, 2013
Look at this guy,its like he's taken a lighting showroom with him and the rooms freaky!
Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 2:35 AM - 11 December, 2013
overkill
BIGG BEAR 2:35 AM - 11 December, 2013
my thoughts exactly
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:50 AM - 11 December, 2013
Lol. Sometimes less is more!
Joee 2:54 AM - 11 December, 2013
case in point zxa5,,,,,,,yea!!!!!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:47 AM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:

You are the Official Serato Forum spokesperson for Zxa5's, you know this right?

lol...

PS...

PANKS all DAY!
Discobee 5:48 AM - 11 December, 2013
I don't like LED dot lights because usually they are just red, green, blue and white colors. that stay in the same place....boooooooring.

I like yellow and orange colors in addition to the RGBW in my lighting effects.

I use Chauvet Intimidator 200 LED scanners and some LED uplight bars for lighting at my mobile gigs. Scanners or moving heads just have more appeal because of the action of the movements.

Also here in Seattle, some of my event/lighting friends are getting into the jumbo vertical disco balls like Mikey Mike on YouTube. 16", 20" sized disco balls....and even though the effect is technically a dot on a disco ball, it gets a pass because of the classic look of it.
Joee 11:54 AM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

lol...

PS...

PANKS all DAY!

you have to stop fooling yourself, stop trying to make it sound cook, there "PINK" not "PANK" theres no way to may pink look cool you just have to own………..lol

PS…

ZXA5S all DAY!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:27 PM - 11 December, 2013
Sound "cook"? lol... "PANKS" all day!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:37 PM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol...

PS...

PANKS all DAY!

you have to stop fooling yourself, stop trying to make it sound cook, there "PINK" not "PANK" theres no way to may pink look cool you just have to own………..lol

PS…

ZXA5S all DAY!!

Man yall gonna have cam'ron on this forum settin fools straight if yall aint careful with this kinda talk
Joee 2:46 PM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
Sound "cook"? lol... "PANKS" all day!!!!

lol………."sound cool"
Joee 2:47 PM - 11 December, 2013
^ FOOL
Joee 2:47 PM - 11 December, 2013
^LOL
Joee 4:23 PM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol...

PS...

PANKS all DAY!

PS…

ZXA5S all DAY!!

Man yall gonna have cam'ron on this forum settin fools straight if yall aint careful with this kinda talk

pink gangster
www.vulture.com
AKIEM 5:35 PM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Man, keep that train of thought OVER THERE, lol...

Next thing you know, they'll want me to start showing up on time and whatnot.... :-)

True Story -> Potential Customer comes up to me and asks if I'm the type of DJ who gives away prizes, leads line dances, blows up balloons and stuff like that...

I was like "No, I don't do any of that"...

That actually speaks volumes on its own.....

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:01 PM - 11 December, 2013
Her order was basically "No Cheese Please"....
AKIEM 6:03 PM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
Her order was basically "No Cheese Please"....

yeah - but she had to ask....

LMAO
nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:20 PM - 11 December, 2013
Eh, she never heard me DJ before...
AKIEM 7:25 PM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
Eh, she never heard me DJ before...

LMAO exactly LMAO

nm
O.B.1 2:45 AM - 12 December, 2013
In defense of the Revo 4 - I think it looks better than the rest of the LED "dot" lights because the built in patterns accurately simulate movement vs. the "static" effects of alot of the other options.
(I currently own three Revo4 lights, but I have since upgraded to moving heads, although I still use them on occasion)...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:23 AM - 12 December, 2013
I guess...
DJ Benny B NYC 5:15 PM - 12 December, 2013
for the record i NEVER play the cha cha slide unless its requested and i think its the right setting...
AKIEM 5:36 PM - 12 December, 2013
Quote:
I guess...

"Excuse me, are you a clown?"

I've heard of - are you the bar tender? Are you working the lights? Are you security?
Never that one.

lolz

nm
Ollie 5:46 PM - 12 December, 2013
We did a huge corporate event last night. 1200 people, 20,000 sq ft. Ballroom at the Hilton. It's almost impossible to cover but I made sure to not ruin dinner. And we brought lights. Lol Will post pictures. Felt like revenge on the wack ass dj I saw last week. Eman was on the 1&2's.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:24 PM - 12 December, 2013
Quote:

lolz

nm

www.djjohnnym.com
AKIEM 9:28 PM - 12 December, 2013
Quote:

aka "excuse me sir, are you a clown?"

:)
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:42 PM - 12 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

aka "excuse me sir, are you a clown?"

:)

ROTFLMFAO that needs to become offical forum lingo
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:43 PM - 12 December, 2013
Ahhh! I get it! Another attempt to "DERAIL" threads.

Yeah.
AKIEM 12:22 AM - 13 December, 2013
ha - derail?

dude you know we are talking about the same thing

toonlet.com
 6 1:18 AM - 13 December, 2013
Quote:
ha - derail?

dude you know we are talking about the same thing

toonlet.com

lol

nm
Ollie 1:52 AM - 13 December, 2013
As I mentioned people pay to keep their parties festive. Some Djs charge a high price but by 10pm he's failed to keep the crowd engaged. ie: crappy musci programming and NO LIGHTs! lol Tried to make sure this doesn't happen on our watch.

Photos as promised
i52.photobucket.com
And a little video.
Watchwww.youtube.com
AKIEM 2:56 AM - 13 December, 2013
Quote:
As I mentioned people pay to keep their parties festive. Some Djs charge a high price but by 10pm he's failed to keep the crowd engaged. ie: crappy musci programming and NO LIGHTs! lol Tried to make sure this doesn't happen on our watch.

Photos as promised
i52.photobucket.com
And a little video.
Watchwww.youtube.com

hmmm.
nm
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:20 AM - 13 December, 2013
The last thing I worry about when going to a party is if the DJ has lights.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:57 AM - 13 December, 2013
Quote:

Photos as promised
i52.photobucket.com
And a little video.
Watchwww.youtube.com

Nice. What kind of sound system did you use for this gig??
Ollie 4:00 AM - 13 December, 2013
Quote:
The last thing I worry about when going to a party is if the DJ has lights.

Generaly thats the case. I never worried of it until it happened then you think "something doesn't look right." Your looking at a dimly lit dance floor with no atmosphere.
Ollie 4:13 AM - 13 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Photos as promised
i52.photobucket.com
And a little video.
Watchwww.youtube.com

Nice. What kind of sound system did you use for this gig??

We got called for the gig the night before because the original DJ cancelled. Just pulled together what we can at a moments notice. 2xCerwin Vega bass bottoms 2x 15"Yamahas and 2x15" Behringers 2x12"monitors Kinda scary cause it didn't seem adequate for a room that size but once all the bodies filled the room there was no problem with echo coming from the walls. I know EVs or Mackies would've been ideal but everything came out great.
pdidy 1:15 AM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:

This is true, most djs in our circles dont own or use lights and if they do its the CHEAP led dot shit.

So it became my mission (dream) to separate myself from the pack and corner the market in my area by investing in good lighting. So I invest about $4000 in lighting which would be considered "High End" compared to what the other djs are using but low end to a real lighting Professional. I started advertising my lighting by bringing it to gig for free. All my clients would be blow away UNTIL I tell them the additional cost of $200-300. Then I would get the Hell no or what can you do for 50 buks bs.....smh. The last piece of lighting I purchased was a $800 laser and its all collecting dust cause nobody wants to pay for it.
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:28 AM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

This is true, most djs in our circles dont own or use lights and if they do its the CHEAP led dot shit.

So it became my mission (dream) to separate myself from the pack and corner the market in my area by investing in good lighting. So I invest about $4000 in lighting which would be considered "High End" compared to what the other djs are using but low end to a real lighting Professional. I started advertising my lighting by bringing it to gig for free. All my clients would be blow away UNTIL I tell them the additional cost of $200-300. Then I would get the Hell no or what can you do for 50 buks bs.....smh. The last piece of lighting I purchased was a $800 laser and its all collecting dust cause nobody wants to pay for it.
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com

There you go.
lvmez 1:39 AM - 15 December, 2013
What laser did you get Pdiddy? I was about to pull the trigger on the X-Laser Calient RGB. But now I'm not sure because clients aren't paying.

I just invested in moving heads. I'm also leaning towards a pair of American DJ Sweeper Beam LED's.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:58 AM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:

U ain't nevva lied...

My boy used to be ALL INTO lighting, and I won't knock him for his hustle, but all I know is that I was getting paid the same if not more for doing the exact same type of gigs...
Joee 2:02 AM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com

this is true to an extent, clients don't want to pay, the wrong clients you get the right type of client/gigs & they have no problem paying a extra $200 to $400……these light pay for them self on the long run not over night, uplighting is where it's at now a days
DJ GaFFle 2:23 AM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com

There you go.

Good story PDidy. I gotta keep this in perspective as I'd like to invest 3k in a pair of moving heads but the return won't be there. Uplights may be the ticket because I at least have some Martin scanners for effects.

(nm)
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:30 AM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

U ain't nevva lied...

My boy used to be ALL INTO lighting, and I won't knock him for his hustle, but all I know is that I was getting paid the same if not more for doing the exact same type of gigs...

That's where the money starts getting fukked up. Now you have cats with lighting taking for the same pay setting the expectation. So when you don't have lights they expect to pay less.
DJ GaFFle 2:50 AM - 15 December, 2013
Gotta stick to ya guns... charge what you're worth.
the_black_one 3:19 AM - 15 December, 2013
Clowns and lights!!!! #oldfolksproblems

Nm nh
the_black_one 3:22 AM - 15 December, 2013
The up charge on many djs down here is the light show.... Up lighting the walls is always a "wow, I want that " and it's a good up charge ... They are not expensive and can really make the room look nice... Like many of you I worry about the sound first but in todays market .... Lights are a must if you want the big money gigs!!!

Nm nh
the_black_one 3:25 AM - 15 December, 2013
Lights alone ... A buddy of mine doubles it's fee depending on lights....

Nm nh
Joee 12:52 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
The up charge on many djs down here is the light show.... Up lighting the walls is always a "wow, I want that " and it's a good up charge ... They are not expensive and can really make the room look nice... Like many of you I worry about the sound first but in todays market .... Lights are a must if you want the big money gigs!!!

Nm nh

yes……all you have to do is tale a video of the room before & after the uplighting, once the client see's the difference they will want it
Joee 12:55 PM - 15 December, 2013
tale=take
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:39 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
So when you don't have lights they expect to pay less.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 1:52 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

no, but when your a sales man you can sell the lights UP CHARGE my man

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

for this they will pay a extra $200 to $400
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:00 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

My exact comment to them
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:14 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:

Ha Ha, no they won't.....LOL...

Not in the tri-state...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:14 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

My exact comment to them

Boom!
DJ Reflex 3:23 PM - 15 December, 2013
P Diddy - I have two of the same lasers (looks like a double laser) as well as some full color animation lasers. Nice effect, but you are right... most of the time no one wants to pay for the extra equipment. I just recently got paid a few times this month for dedicated laser shows - one local rock concert, a bar party, and a MMA fight! I'm still trying to hustle and market these things, but it's slow going.

Ivmez - X-Laser is the way to go if you want decent quality. The cheap Chinese lasers can be cool and easy to use, but you will never get them regulated for proper use. Problem is that X-Laser, Connecticut Laser, and Kvant are $$$.
Joee 3:36 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Not in the tri-state...

HA…HA… yes they will & do i'm in philly & get it, if you have cheap broke clients you get cheap money, if you have good clients you get good money, wedding are they best kind of gigs MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MOOOOONAYYYYYY

if you sell yourself short you get shorted

Quote:
Gotta stick to ya guns... charge what you're worth.

this right here
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:43 PM - 15 December, 2013
There are alot of people with huge expensive rigs & lighting who are shit DJ's. So please stop with the "charge what you are worth BS. It's about what you can sell people to pay for.
Joee 3:45 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:

Nm nh

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!!!!! Boom!!!!!!
lvmez 3:48 PM - 15 December, 2013
Reflex, after researching lasers, X-Laser is the way to go. With that being said, it seems that to get full effect you have to purchase the $1100+ ones. Not sure if I will get a return on that.
Joee 3:51 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
There are alot of people with huge expensive rigs & lighting who are shit DJ's. So please stop with the "charge what you are worth BS. It's about what you can sell people to pay for.

um yea thats what been saying UP CHARGING, up lighting is where it's at one of the cheapest lighting shows you can give that really make a night and day difference in the room
the_black_one 4:35 PM - 15 December, 2013
You can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink

Nm nh
Joee 4:38 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:

Nm nh

;-)
TjDaDj 4:39 PM - 15 December, 2013
Fried chicken makes me wanna dance :3
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:28 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
It's about what you can sell people to pay for.

Boom! again!

The truth is, I COULD POSSIBLY sell a lights package, but all that means is more work for me.

When people see me, there aren't any lights in the first place, so what you see is what you get.

Cats have always said lights give 'Atmosphere", I say, I can set the "Atmosphere" with 2 turntables and a mixer....

That's it, and it works...

Not hating on those who bring 'em, but I don't "Need" them.
Joee 11:50 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:

Cats have always said lights give 'Atmosphere", I say, I can set the "Atmosphere" with 2 turntables and a mixer....

more power to you cause the truth is theres a lot of cats out there that can't, the fact of the matter if you want those big paying gigs you NEED uplighting it's a must i'm talking over $1,000 for 4 hours (weddings ) you need uplighting

look at the vid,tell me it don't make a difference in the room? it does & the brides think so also $200 for 10 lights, the uplighting pays for it self how could you not use it?
Watchwww.youtube.com

fyi you can get this for $320 two is a real good start-------> Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Reflex 12:32 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Reflex, after researching lasers, X-Laser is the way to go. With that being said, it seems that to get full effect you have to purchase the $1100+ ones. Not sure if I will get a return on that.

True! Goes for all lighting I guess. There needs to be a market for that and from what I read here, there is and there isn't depending on location and what you are willing to do for marketing. I got a guy in my area (big production company) that can market ice cubes to Eskimos. If I pick up some expensive gear and become the resident expert on it, he can get the word out and I might be able to pick up business through him. It will take a couple years to pay off the investment though.

I got a few good UV black light fixtures (about $800 worth). Got a call the other day to light up a glow-in-the-dark dodge ball tournament. Not the best paying gig in the world, but at least I get the word out and start promoting what I have.
DJ Reflex 12:35 AM - 16 December, 2013
P.S. The software to run good lasers is going to cost around $550-$1000 as well. Pangolin or Mamba are good, but pricey.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:01 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Boom! again!

The truth is, I COULD POSSIBLY sell a lights package, but all that means is more work for me.

When people see me, there aren't any lights in the first place, so what you see is what you get.

You what's funny Johnny. I can tell who the real OG's of the game are by the responses to gear posts. We will get the job done with a turntable & tape deck if we had too. No extra bells & whistles.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:07 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
more power to you cause the truth is theres a lot of cats out there that can't,

And there it is...

Quote:
the fact of the matter if you want those big paying gigs you NEED uplighting it's a must i'm talking over $1,000 for 4 hours (weddings ) you need uplighting

LMAO!

Dude, I DO those $1,000.00 dollar weddings with NO LIGHTS....no joke...

The ONLY thing I may bring "Extra" in terms of a wedding, is a single "Powered" speaker for the Cocktail Hour...that may be in an adjoining room.

And oh, I'm NOT announcing the "Entrance" of the wedding party either....

They need to have designated a "Wedding Coordinator" for that...

You won't catch ME mispronouncing anybodys name on their wedding day, or if they decide to switch up the lineup at the last minute...

My job is to play music....
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:13 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
the fact of the matter if you want those big paying gigs you NEED uplighting it's a must i'm talking over $1,000 for 4 hours (weddings ) you need uplighting

LMAO!

The ONLY thing I may bring "Extra" in terms of a wedding, is a single "Powered" speaker for the Cocktail Hour...that may be in an adjoining room.

And oh, I'm NOT announcing the "Entrance" of the wedding party either....

They need to have designated a "Wedding Coordinator" for that...

You won't catch ME mispronouncing anybodys name on their wedding day, or if they decide to switch up the lineup at the last minute...

[b]My job is to play music[b]....

/endthread
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:18 AM - 16 December, 2013
I ruined that huh? LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:35 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
I ruined that huh? LOL

LMAO...

I knew what you meant.... :-)
Joee 2:52 AM - 16 December, 2013
UMMM first you say they don't pay in the tri state

Quote:
Quote:

Not in the tri-state...

& now they do

Quote:

LMAO!

so witch one is it?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:57 AM - 16 December, 2013
I believe he is trying to say he gets those $$$ gigs already without having to upcharge.
lvmez 3:05 AM - 16 December, 2013
Any wedding couple that pays a DJ with no lights $1000+ is having a ghetto wedding.

I'm a firm believer that the music has to be on point, but there is too much competition out there that offers good music, lights, mc in that price range or a bit higher.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:14 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Any wedding couple that pays a DJ with no lights $1000+ is having a ghetto wedding.

I'm a firm believer that the music has to be on point, but there is too much competition out there that offers good music, lights, mc in that price range or a bit higher.

You my friend are part of the reason the DJ game is fukked up. Offering everything under the sun at market price.
 6 3:17 AM - 16 December, 2013
Takes a seat. This is getting interesting. :)

nm
AKIEM 3:23 AM - 16 December, 2013
So Tri-State, the drop $1000 for music (no MC) but won't up another $200 for lights?

Nm
AKIEM 3:23 AM - 16 December, 2013
they
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:43 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Boom! again!

Not all of us collect social security, some of us need to put in the work to make $$ lol
lvmez 3:44 AM - 16 December, 2013
Not at all. I did a wedding in NYC restaurant for $900. 6 uplights, plated for a toal of 2 hours.

The point I was saying is that you need lights to charge more. To get to that $1200-1800 mark, you need to set yourself apart.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:30 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

so witch one is it?

You will need a mathematics class soon...

If they want lights for a WEDDING, then I'll be charging 1200-1500 bucks...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:33 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

My dude, no disrespect, but I will NEVER do a ghetto wedding, and I've done 1000.00 weddings with NO LIGHTS whatsoever.

These are actually from people who have a little extra cash to throw around, but hey, you get in where you fit in.

I'm NOT a wedding DJ by trade, but do about 4-5 per year, so I have no reason to "invest" in lights for the sake of weddings.

The people who hire me, generally see me in a club setting, have heard my mixes, have attended weddings that I've done, or are referred by word of mouth.

They KNOW in advance what they're getting....and that's "without cheese".
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:36 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

You don't get it, I'm the best in my area, period. Not saying cats aren't trying to come up, and offer "more inclusive packages", but my reputation precedes my name, so I'm not really worried.

It's not my job to keep other DJ's in rotation.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:37 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

You my friend are part of the reason the DJ game is fukked up. Offering everything under the sun at market price.

Awww hell, he put it out there in layman's terms....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:43 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
So Tri-State, the drop $1000 for music (no MC) but won't up another $200 for lights?

Nm

Don't get it twisted, NOT EVERY WEDDING I do is for 1000.00, as a lot of them are for close friends, and they already know my steeze, but I'm not bringing lights.

Comparatively speaking over time, I've always bought more SOUND than necessary, as I'm always about the Bass....so I've always factored in THAT as my "extra"... if y'all thing you need to include "more"....

Throw in the extra crates of vinyl, and actually, I'd have no ROOM to bring lights, much less time to set them up...

Enter Serato, now I have no vinyl crates (ok I still bring 1), shorter setup/breakdown time, etc....

I've made my DJ life easier, right? More efficient? Cleaner look?

I'm now getting more for my money....why randomly throw in lights if I can still get paid, do LESS work, and have the same if not better experience that I've always had?

Stop playin.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:48 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
The point I was saying is that you need lights to charge more.

That's a fair statement, but that also means MORE WORK. If I can get 1000 for a wedding with NO LIGHTS, then I'm good....Trust.

Quote:
To get to that $1200-1800 mark, you need to set yourself apart, by adding extra *ish, like lights, smoke and lasers

I agree with that also, but again that's EXTRA WORK....

For extra lights, it's always been assumed that I'd have to factor in at least an extra hour for setup, and possibly an extra person.....is that worth 200.00? Not when my MAIN concern is the music...

I might as well contract someone out to do the lights for the 200.00, it's not worth it for me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:51 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
I believe he is trying to say he gets those $$$ gigs already without having to upcharge.

BOOM.

I would actually be F*cking UP the DJ game if I "threw in" some lights, but am already getting the price I want...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:54 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
so witch one is it?

****sigh****

Let me break it down...

I can get 1000.00 for a wedding....

If they want lights, I'd charge an extra 200-500 bucks...

They never choose the option for the lights.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:55 AM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

Nm

Here in NJ, yep.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:56 AM - 16 December, 2013
Let me correct this...

I will MC the function, but won't do the "Wedding Party" entrance part...

I MC the balance of the function.....
Joee 1:00 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
so witch one is it?

You will need a mathematics class soon...

If they want lights for a WEDDING, then I'll be charging 1200-1500 bucks...

you sir could not be more wrong my math is fine, ok so you get $1,000 add two slim pack 56 thats 8 u lights with 8 dmx cables 2 obey three controllers and 2 carry bags---> Watchwww.youtube.com cost for said light $600 so they pay for them self after 3 gigs, if you can't sell the package for $200 sell it for $100 after 6 gigs there paid for……than it's all profit…….UP SELL

Quote:
Quote:
so witch one is it?

****sigh****

Let me break it down...

I can get 1000.00 for a wedding....

If they want lights, I'd charge an extra 200-500 bucks...

They never choose the option for the lights.

the problem is you don't know how to sell the package, when people do events they spend all kinds of money why should they stop spending on you…….you should hit the dj expo in ac, i was one of those dj saying what the hell could they teach me? i been djing for so long? i was wrong they taught me A LOT in regards to up selling

Quote:

EXTRA WORK....

For extra lights, it's always been assumed that I'd have to factor in at least an extra hour for setup, and possibly an extra person.....is that worth 200.00? Not when my MAIN concern is the music...

I might as well contract someone out to do the lights for the 200.00, it's not worth it for me.

again wrong do you even know what a slim pack 56 is? it will take you 15 minutes to set up 8, you plug one in to a ac outlet and jump the rest, the more you use them the faster you get with setup times---> Watchwww.youtube.com ,watch the video! you can't tell me that that sh!t don't look hot! besides look at the sloppy job the guy did, don't you like to have wires showing all over the place
Quote:
Not at all. I did a wedding in NYC restaurant for $900. 6 uplights, plated for a toal of 2 hours.

The point I was saying is that you need lights to charge more. To get to that $1200-1800 mark, you need to set yourself apart.

this right here is the hole point, if a client goes to see two dj's one multiple packages to offer and one with NO/one basic package to offer what dj do you think there gonna pick? who looks more professional?

in the long run to me i don't care how little or how much any piece of gear cost me! it's a profit as all my gear gets paid off from all the gigs i do with it, but a to each his own if you don't want to improve the services you offer as a working dj i can't force you to

Quote:
Quote:

BOOM.

I would actually be F*cking UP the DJ game if I "threw in" some lights, but am already getting the price I want...

it's not about you getting what you want! it's about you being able to offer a client options & get paid better while doing so…….
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:45 PM - 16 December, 2013
No it's about you being a salesman not a DJ.
lvmez 2:06 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

+1.
Joee 2:25 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+1.

ok so if you want to call me a sales man & not a dj cause i make money

than call me a sales man all you want, i'm not one of these people saying i'm all about the craft of djing…….for me this is my life literally it's how i make a living pay the mortgage/car note/bills etc. & make a pretty nice living doing so

I'LL BE THAT DJ SalesMan…….selling the uplight packages ALLLLLLL the time !!!!!!!!!
Joee 2:34 PM - 16 December, 2013
^^^^^^ UPLIGHTING FTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:58 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

you sir could not be more wrong my math is fine, ok so you get $1,000 add two slim pack 56 thats 8 u lights with 8 dmx cables 2 obey three controllers and 2 carry bags---> Watchwww.youtube.com cost for said light $600 so they pay for them self after 3 gigs, if you can't sell the package for $200 sell it for $100 after 6 gigs there paid for……than it's all profit…….UP SELL

No you must be on that "New Math"...

You just said that costs 600.00. I only do 5-6 weddings a year. So I'd be investing in something that would take me close to a YEAR to pay off, assuming I'd get an extra 100 to 200 bucks a wedding.....and that's IF they want lights....

That's a waste of time and money.

No sale.

Quote:
the problem is you don't know how to sell the package,
when people do events they spend all kinds of money why should they stop spending on you…….you should hit the dj expo in ac, i was one of those dj saying what the hell could they teach me? i been djing for so long? i was wrong they taught me A LOT in regards to up selling

Surely you jest....

I'm selling a package of ME DJ'ing with just MUSIC. If I can sell that "package" and get 1000.00 for a wedding, then I'm doing something right, correct?

Those AC DJ Expos? Been there, done that....

Those events are great for selling YOU stuff...lmao....You're a gear whore anyway...right? So OF COURSE you're going to try and get the latest new toy....That's in your nature.

Quote:
again wrong do you even know what a slim pack 56 is?

Yes, it's something that costs 600.00, and extra time to set up....

Quote:
it will take you 15 minutes to set up 8, you plug one in to a ac outlet and jump the rest, the more you use them the faster you get with setup times---> Watchwww.youtube.com ,watch the video! you can't tell me that that sh!t don't look hot! besides look at the sloppy job the guy did, don't you like to have wires showing all over the place

Are you sure about that 15 minutes? That's not even taping down the wires...And we ALL know how long it takes to tape down stuff.

And YES, the places I'd do Weddings at would REQUIRE for the wires to be taped down.

Quote:
this right here is the hole point, if a client goes to see two dj's one multiple packages to offer and one with NO/one basic package to offer what dj do you think there gonna pick? who looks more professional?

First off, where am I setting up where someone is actively comparing me to another DJ?

I'm always IN my element when I'm approached, or referred by a friend, or someone who's actually GONE to one of the Weddings I've done, and have said "THAT" is the type of reception that I want....

I'm not in some booth selling my services at somebody's expo.

Quote:
in the long run to me i don't care how little or how much any piece of gear cost me! it's a profit as all my gear gets paid off from all the gigs i do with it, but a to each his own if you don't want to improve the services you offer as a working dj i can't force you to

See, this is where YOU'RE f*cking up....

Let's see, if I'm able to sell MY SERVICES for 1000.00 for a Wedding and people have the best time of their lives, and you sell the your services for a Wedding PLUS lights, albeit you're charging an extra 200 for the lights, but have additional setup time, etc..etc...

Who's REALLY the smart salesman here?

Quote:
it's not about you getting what you want! it's about you being able to offer a client options & get paid better while doing so…….

Isn't getting paid "better" what I "want"?

Less time, setup for a GREAT PRICE?

vs.

MORE time and stuff for a MORE EXPENSIVE Price?

C'mon son...

Like I've said, I can sell me and music....for the price I charge, If you COULD you WOULD too...

That's only smart.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:03 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

Exactly.

But check it...

I "sell" my services and get paid accordingly....

FWIW, my boy does all types of lighting, as a matter of fact, he's brought lighting to SOME functions JUST to market himself as a "Lighting Pro", and I have no problem with that...

Does he want to get paid? Sure, do I PAY HIM...No....lmao, but I will allow him to showcase his stuff, through me....

I say all that to say, if I want to provide lighting, I'll HIRE someone who specializes in it, will transport it, work it , and break it down....

The option is there, but most don't want to pay for it.

And I'm not "decreasing" my bottom line to do an "inclusive" package to pay him....

lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:05 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

than call me a sales man all you want, i'm not one of these people saying i'm all about the craft of djing…….for me this is my life literally it's how i make a living pay the mortgage/car note/bills etc. & make a pretty nice living doing so

I'LL BE THAT DJ SalesMan…….selling the uplight packages ALLLLLLL the time !!!!!!!!!

Ok, so you've just admitted that you have a different agenda than most.

I HAVE a regular job.

I AM all about the craft.

This is why you're offering bells and whistles while I don't have to....

I just WANT to offer quality MUSIC....

Not hating, but it is what it is...

/End thread...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:06 PM - 16 December, 2013
PS...

I've been in this game for a LOOOONNGG TIME my dude...

There's nothing you can sell me DJ "wise" that I don't already know about.... :-)
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:08 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1.

Easy dude don't blow a gasket. If that's your hustle rock with it. But you do have to look at it from the other side. It is not necessary to have all of that for a great event. You do that because you want to. There are some of us that don't need all that glitter to gig. Some of us are about just being a DJ and not being salesmen.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:12 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

Easy dude don't blow a gasket. If that's your hustle rock with it. But you do have to look at it from the other side. It is not necessary to have all of that for a great event. You do that because you want to. There are some of us that don't need all that glitter to gig. Some of us are about just being a DJ and not being salesmen.

Say that *ish again! He didn't hear you the first time! lol.

As you say, if that's his "HUSTLE", and it indeed is a 'Hustle', then more power to him.

Me? Nah, I have enough time being worried if I'm gonna blow a circuit from turning the bass up too loud...

I don't have time to be wondering if the lights are on the same circuit.
lvmez 3:12 PM - 16 December, 2013
All DJ's need to know how to make a sales pitch. It's part of the business.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:14 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

We're not arguing that...but if I PERSONALLY KNOW that my demographic has not, and is most likely not going to pay for lighting, when why invest and TRY to sell them that service?

If my clientele changed, then THAT would be a different story....

But for all things concerned, my clients like it with "No Cheese Please"...
Joee 3:15 PM - 16 December, 2013
COM ON SON…the slim pack cost $320 use it twice & you already profited from it, but i get it you don't want to…to each his own, best said here

Quote:

Nm nh

me i do mad wedding/sweet sixteens/proms…..etc every year all year long so i NEED to have all the gear i own……..who you calling a gear whore? i don't own 20 mixers…….lol
Joee 3:19 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Me? Nah, I have enough time being worried if I'm gonna blow a circuit from turning the bass up too loud...

upgrade them old as dirt PEYVEY amps to some new powered speaker and you won't have this problem…….lol
the_black_one 3:20 PM - 16 December, 2013
Lmfao at saying " I'm the best in my area"

Yeah... Ok ...

" are u a clown". Yes ... That old man is !!!!

Nm nh
the_black_one 3:23 PM - 16 December, 2013
You can lead a clown to gigs but you can't make him use lights!!!!

STFU with your " I'm the best" and " I don't need lights " and " I don't mc" Clown!!!

Nm nh
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:23 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
COM ON SON…the slim pack cost $320 use it twice & you already profited from it, but i get it you don't want to…to each his own,

Again, investing in something that MY CLIENTELE isn't requesting.

And yes, I've done the research...

The place where I DJ used to have this crazy Martin light show thingy, and dude used to turn it on when we'd have a party. The dance floor would look cool, but the SAME amount of people danced whether he had it ON or NOT.

It eventually broke, and he lost no sleep in not replacing it....

Quote:
best said here
Quote:
Yeah, he can really teach me anything about the "business, when he hasn't posted a single solitary vid of his "smoothness, or skills"....

But wait, I forgot, it's about "Salesmanship"....smh

Quote:
me i do mad wedding/sweet sixteens/proms…..etc every year all year long so i NEED to have all the gear i own……..who you calling a gear whore?

And there you have it! The ATTENTION SPAN of those @ Sweet Sixteens and Proms are how long again?

I thought we were talking about weddings....

You're changing up the scenarios....

Quote:
i don't own 20 mixers…….lol

Hold up...

How many 62's, 64, or 68's (I forgot what model Rane mixer it was that you kept flashing on here) did you have?

Post those pics again...stop playin....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:26 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

upgrade them old as dirt PEYVEY amps to some new powered speaker and you won't have this problem…….lol

LOL, All I need to do a wedding is a single QSC and V35d's, and it's all good.

Now here's the funny part...

I paid for that stuff back in the 90's, and it's STILL louder, crisper, and has more bass than the "Average" Wedding setup of today.......Assuming you're not using 3000.00 worth of EV's....lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:31 PM - 16 December, 2013
More attempts to derail a discussion....

smh....
the_black_one 3:38 PM - 16 December, 2013
The best clown in your area !!!

Nm nh
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:39 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
The best clown in your area !!!

Nm nh

You really got a crush on him don't you?
Joee 3:40 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

Hold up..

How many 62's, 64, or 68's (I forgot what model Rane mixer it was that you kept flashing on here) did you have?

Post those pics again...stop playin....

man i only bought 5 62's already sold 3 of them only have 2 left, i recently got into controllers, bought a vci 380 ddj sx & ddj sr……so only two mixers
imageshack.com

"Now here's the funny part...

I paid for that stuff back in the 90's, and it's STILL louder, crisper, and has more bass than the "Average" Wedding setup of today.......Assuming you're not using 3000.00 worth of EV's....lmao."

man upgrade your sh!t already, i'm mad you still using 20+ year old gear….i'm gonna find out were you play & come poke holes in your speakers………lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:44 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
COM ON SON…the slim pack cost $320 use it twice & you already profited from

But wait, I thought you said I needed to buy 2 of them....

So 320.00 x 2 = 640.00 + (tax@7%) 44.80 = $684.80....

That's almost 700 .00 bucks...

Man, I see your salesman tactics, but I've been in this game forever my dude...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:45 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

man i only bought 5 62's already sold 3 of them only have 2 left, i recently got into controllers, bought a vci 380 ddj sx & ddj sr……so only two mixers

imageshack.com

And HOW much were those 62's apiece again?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:51 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
man upgrade your sh!t already, i'm mad you still using 20+ year old gear….i'm gonna find out were you play & come poke holes in your speakers………lol

But here's the thing...

I invested in VERY GOOD GEAR.

Crown and QSC Amps
Rane Crossovers
RCF, JBL and EV speakers, with Peavy Highs...
Technics Turntables...

The ONLY reason I got a Rane Mixer was because I needed to do "Fader" tricks...
So I bought a 56s with magnetic faders....When is that going to die?

Again, the ONLY person worried about the gear anybody would use is Another DJ....

Now I AM seriously interested in the EV ZXA5 is because it would lighten my load even MORE, assuming they weigh less than a Cerwin Vega v35....

So then I'd be traveling with even LESS equipment, (No sound processing necessary, maybe buy a DriveRack if I determine it's necessary), and have even a quicker setup and breakdown time, WHILE substantially increasing my sound level.

Isn't that smart?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:52 PM - 16 December, 2013
And no lights.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:54 PM - 16 December, 2013
LMAO @ "
Quote:
only bought 5 62's already

C'mon son, even YOU'VE got to admit that's a little "Extra"....
Joee 3:55 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

imageshack.com
And HOW much were those 62's apiece again?

$1,600

i know you want some zxz5's bad don't you? so stop bull Sh!tin buy them already
imageshack.com

they look nice don't they……..lol

did you not here me say i sold 3 62's …..lol two mixers is not extra!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:56 PM - 16 December, 2013
And just to refresh your memory, didn't we even have a thread DEDICATED to the "COST" of the Rane 62?

serato.com

And you bought 5?
Dj Shamann 3:56 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
To get to that $1200-1800 mark, you need to set yourself apart, by adding extra *ish, like lights, smoke and lasers

$1200 is minimum start, without lights for me. Thing is a lot of people tell me even before I bring it up that they don't want lights. Some people don't want that shit in the spot fucking up the vibe when they've rented an art gallery or whatever. And, some people just don't like lights in their face regardless of venue.

I'm interested in that slim pack though, uplighting seems to more the trend these days (at least here). I've heard of battery pack uplighting though, at first I wasn't too sure about wireless (battery costs and thinking they must be weak), but after seeing all those extra wires everywhere?

What I do to "set myself apart" is advertise myself as the anti-traditional wedding Dj. Most people see me in clubs or have heard my mixes and are happy to find out that I actually like doing weddings, most DJs with long club backgrounds are too cool for weddings. Me I think they're missing out when a lot of weddings I get are for more cool musically oriented events.

I'm not against having lights, I just don't think they're as necessary to being a DJ as some others do.
Joee 3:56 PM - 16 December, 2013
well technically it is extra as in extra gear, but NOT EXTRA by no means….lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:59 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

$1,600

So at SOME point in time you spent $8000.00 in mixers.....

Now you have $3,200.00's in mixers man....

And you're not a Gear Whore?

C'mon man....

I admit I'm a Good Times "Collector"....and Realistic Mixer collector...

But my 20 Realistic Mixers would have cost me 400 bucks over 28 years my man....

That's $15.00 a year in mixers....
Joee 4:01 PM - 16 December, 2013
i'm not a gear whore ;)……..LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:01 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

$1200 is minimum start, without lights for me.

LOL! So I should try and get my BASE price up!

Cats just don't understand....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:04 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
What I do to "set myself apart" is advertise myself as the anti-traditional wedding Dj. Most people see me in clubs or have heard my mixes and are happy to find out that I actually like doing weddings, most DJs with long club backgrounds are too cool for weddings. Me I think they're missing out when a lot of weddings I get are for more cool musically oriented events.

THIS^^^^

Quote:
I'm not against having lights, I just don't think they're as necessary to being a DJ as some others do.

BOOM.

Now a Sweet Sixteen? Prom? They would expect them...

A wedding? Nah, to ME it would make it look like a DISCO....

Not that I have anything against Disco, but I'm just sayin....
Joee 4:10 PM - 16 December, 2013
were bona be here all day if we keep the sh!t up, for a weeding uplight make the room look classy when left static/one color not flashing
Joee 4:11 PM - 16 December, 2013
damn spell check bona= gonna ……lol

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:15 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
were bona be here all day if we keep the sh!t up, for a weeding uplight make the room look classy when left static/one color not flashing

I'll say it again...

They ain't payin....lol...
Joee 4:17 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I'll say it again...

than i won't be playin
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:29 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

than i won't be playin

Which may be justified for your CLIENTELE...

You can't pass judgment on a DJ's arsenal if you aren't familiar with that DJ's client demographic.

That's like me saying YOU NEED to be up on '90's hiphop, but you're in the Deep South somewhere....
Joee 4:35 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

than i won't be playin

Which may be justified for your CLIENTELE...

You can't pass judgment on a DJ's arsenal if you aren't familiar with that DJ's client demographic.

That's like me saying YOU NEED to be up on '90's hiphop, but you're in the Deep South somewhere....

i'll give you that one, BUT but you NEEEEEEEDDDD to upgrade that 20+ year old sound system!

imageshack.com ,perhaps a pair of these……lol i sold the zxa1's

BAAMMMM! BOOOM! ………lol for real tho upgrade them old @ss carpeted sonics and the big horns/tweeters already

no for real!
Joee 4:38 PM - 16 December, 2013
you know know this conversation could have went a HOOOLE different way, but being the classy gentlemen that we are it didn't……lol

UPLIGHTS FTW!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:45 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

Ive never made a sales pitch once in my life, I just put music out and hang out with Djs and venues call me with offers
DJ Remy USA 4:48 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

We're not arguing that...but if I PERSONALLY KNOW that my demographic has not, and is most likely not going to pay for lighting, when why invest and TRY to sell them that service?

It is a demographic thing I noticed when it comes to lights
lvmez 4:48 PM - 16 December, 2013
I meant for mobile. Lounges and clubs are a different story.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:54 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thats true with most aspects, in my demo, when it comes to mobiles noones trying to pay extra for lights, noone really seems to care either, throw em aled dot light and theyll state at em for hours.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:56 PM - 16 December, 2013
This is one of the few times i agree with ronald mcdj up there, i dont want to be a mobile dj, im a club guy, so when clients ask me to do mobile gigs its under a very clear undetstanding that they are not hiring a mobile dj, theyre getting what they saw at the club and they need to pay more than the club is since i have to move ish.
Joee 5:14 PM - 16 December, 2013
^ awwwww bezzle & johnny becoming friend…..now i know it Christmas, gives me that warm fuzzy feeling
Joee 5:15 PM - 16 December, 2013
p.s

uplighting for christmas partys red & green ;)
 6 5:38 PM - 16 December, 2013
Interesting read. Thanks for not disappointing.

lol

nm
Joee 5:53 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
p.s

uplighting for christmas partys red & green ;)

you know what i mean!
Discobee 6:12 PM - 16 December, 2013
Took me about 15 minutes to catch up through all of this only to conclude the following:

Johnny no brings lights.
Joee brings lights.

What a waste of 15 minutes. Haha.
Joee 6:17 PM - 16 December, 2013
^ man johnnys just cheap, what dj you know uses the same speaker for 20+ years? wait i remember this guy--> serato.com

he's from jersey too……..lol

maybe he's just frugal…..lol
AKIEM 6:24 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
So Tri-State, they drop $1000 for music (no MC) but won't up another $200 for lights?

How about $100?

Maybe $50?

No?

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:03 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
^ awwwww bezzle & johnny becoming friend…..now i know it Christmas, gives me that warm fuzzy feeling

Not hardly....
Joee 7:12 PM - 16 December, 2013
come on johnny it's the holidays IT'S CHRISTMAS ……..
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:17 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
i'll give you that one, BUT but you NEEEEEEEDDDD to upgrade that 20+ year old sound system!

Why exactly?

The V35's are GREAT, (almost overkill) for your average wedding, and LOTS of people give me compliments on the sound, compared to what they're used to hearing when cats roll out some whimpy speakers on stands...

They want it to sound like a CLUB....Period.

Quote:
BAAMMMM! BOOOM! ………lol for real tho upgrade them old @ss carpeted sonics and the big horns/tweeters already

You don't pay attention, I've SOLD this setup since the summer - > www.djjohnnym.com

But I still have the V35's for mobile stuff.

The money is going TOWARDS, the EV's...
Joee 7:20 PM - 16 December, 2013
o word it's about time you sold that dusty ass setup, good for you!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:25 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
^ man johnnys just cheap, what dj you know uses the same speaker for 20+ years? wait i remember this guy--> serato.com

And who buys 5 of the same mixer @ 1,600 bucks apiece...?
Only to turn around and sell 3 of them?

C'mon man...stoppit...lol.

Again, the ONLY person worried about what another DJ is rocking with is ANOTHER DJ...

:-)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:25 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Precisely.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:28 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
o word it's about time you sold that dusty ass setup, good for you!

Again, another DJ worried about what another DJ's rig is...

The V35's are clean, they're loud, and reliable, BUT I do realize that having bought them in say, 1995, there is a chance that the woofer may rot out, so I have to plan ahead...

Thus, the interest in the EV's...

If they're as LOUD and DURABLE as you and Pdidy say they are, they'll be the LAST set of speakers I'll ever need to buy.

That's how I approach things.
Joee 7:30 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

And who buys 5 of the same mixer @ 1,600 bucks apiece...?
Only to turn around and sell 3 of them?

C'mon man...stoppit...lol.

Again, the ONLY person worried about what another DJ is rocking with is ANOTHER DJ...

:-)

um i sold them to the same dj's that were using them, dj's i send out to gigs made $200 on each one too & they felt like they got a good deal
stop talking you know you want a 61 son
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:35 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

um i sold them to the same dj's that were using them, dj's i send out to gigs made $200 on each one too & they felt like they got a good deal
stop talking you know you want a 61 son

Why on earth would I want a 61?

Look, here's how it goes...

Y'all press Rane/Serato for the latest and greatest...

They eventually give it to you....but SOMETHING ALWAYS WRONG...

Whether it be more buggy software, or buttons that are sticking in the first generation....

Or incompatible Intel chips....SOMETHING's always wrong lately.

You get a cat that finds a good combination of above mentioned variables that doesn't crash on him, is reliable, gives great sound, etc....and he decides to stick with it?

That ONLY makes sense...
Joee 7:39 PM - 16 December, 2013
o now you don't want a 61, when it first came out you were talking all that me sayin you were going to buy one…….my bad
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:41 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
o now you don't want a 61, when it first came out you were talking all that me sayin you were going to buy one…….my bad

I want the EV's more than I want a 61.

I already have a mixer. :-)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:51 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
you know know this conversation could have went a HOOOLE different way, but being the classy gentlemen that we are it didn't……lol

It's easy when you recognize derailment "tactics"....
AKIEM 8:31 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

It's easy when you da kang of derailment "tactics"....

I agree.
Rick Hodgkins 8:45 PM - 16 December, 2013
I think above all else, before you open the dance floor you check with servers to make sure they are clear of the table area. They're trucking around trays full of plates and all you gotta do is stand up at the wrong time and you win your sign.
Even at larger events where many people are eating desert and some just got a plate, people jumping up to get to the dance floor is something to be considered.

Some dj lighting leaves more to be desired than not, that part always irks me also.
There is so much used lighting around, there is no excuse for no or poor lighting.

On critiquing others, you can't have a good time doing this and people around you don't want to hear it either.

Ok, back to the derailment...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:15 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:

There is so much used lighting around, there is no excuse for no or poor lighting.

Here's the thing, what client do you know would turn down an offer of "Lights", if the DJ would throw them in "For free"?
AKIEM 9:20 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Here's the thing, what client do you know would turn down an offer of "Lights", if the DJ would throw them in "For free"?

Plenty do not want the lighting. The question is; is anyone willing to pay the extra $200 because they (think) they want it?
Joee 9:42 PM - 16 December, 2013
^ for me the answer is YEA BUDDY…...
DJ Reflex 12:07 AM - 17 December, 2013
^ Me too. A good contract will have the "lighting charge" built in. It's not like we're doing anything for free - it's only an illusion! :)
Rick Hodgkins 12:47 AM - 17 December, 2013
It totally depends on what you bring for lights.
If you're gonna show up with a pair of winky blinkies and a spin and puke, I wouldn't be expecting to charge anything.
Show up with a couple of crank stands and a few intels, and watch the energy change.
Worth 200?
Sure, but you build it as a package, not an up sell.
Small sound/light, med, large etc...
It depends on the size of the crowd and room also, has to fit
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:45 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
^ for me the answer is YEA BUDDY…...

And for your clientele, that would work out well...
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:47 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
^ Me too. A good contract will have the "lighting charge" built in. It's not like we're doing anything for free - it's only an illusion! :)

If they are under the illusion the price they are paying is only for djing and not for lights why dont you save yourself the effort and just dj for that price
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:49 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:

That's if you want to provide lighting, and they want lighting, so it's your decision to have the lighting "included" in the price.

My clients see me at my location, no lights.

They just want the music.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:51 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
It totally depends on what you bring for lights.

If you're gonna show up with a pair of winky blinkies and a spin and puke, I wouldn't be expecting to charge anything.

Show up with a couple of crank stands and a few intels, and watch the energy change.

Worth 200?

Sure, but you build it as a package, not an up sell.

Small sound/light, med, large etc...

It depends on the size of the crowd and room also, has to fit

The idea here is why bring lights, if you're getting a maximum price that you're satisfied with already for DJ'ing a wedding?

There are LOTS of people who don't expect lights...
Joee 1:54 AM - 17 December, 2013
www.musiciansfriend.com
all this talk about lights is gonna make me order another
djaction 1:55 AM - 17 December, 2013
Not bringing lights is fine if you're doing the $400-1,000 mobile bracket in the Tri-State. If you want to get paid more and do bigger/better gigs you need lights.

The flipside of this is.. a lot of venues that host mobiles are now offering their own uplighting for CHEAP.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:56 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
www.musiciansfriend.com

Is that price now 429.99?

lol...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:57 AM - 17 December, 2013
And again -
Quote:
Not bringing lights is fine if you're doing the $400-1,000 mobile bracket in the Tri-State.
Joee 1:58 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
www.musiciansfriend.com

Is that price now 429.99?

lol...

you can get it for $300 total…..
Joee 1:59 AM - 17 December, 2013
^ i never EVER pay retail son
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:56 AM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
^ i never EVER pay retail son

Of course not, you're one of their best customers.... :-)
BIGG BEAR 3:58 AM - 17 December, 2013
So when you guys are doing these cool weddings what sort of stuff are you playing(I'm dont want a full tracklist or anything) whats going on whilst they are eating,whats some of the non cheese big tunes.I'm in the uk by the way so forgive my ignorance.
Also how does this work..... your booked for a cool wedding but then some of the guests turn out to be very uncool granny wants some Elvis uncle wants motown etc.
DJ GaFFle 2:35 PM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
So when you guys are doing these cool weddings what sort of stuff are you playing(I'm dont want a full tracklist or anything) whats going on whilst they are eating,whats some of the non cheese big tunes.I'm in the uk by the way so forgive my ignorance.
Also how does this work..... your booked for a cool wedding but then some of the guests turn out to be very uncool granny wants some Elvis uncle wants motown etc.

You go ahead and play it; it's a wedding and moreover, it's only during the dining period.

In weddings during dinner, I find that satisfying the older folks early on (musically) makes for a better impression on the entire event. The older folks generally leave earlier and they'll leave happy knowing the DJ played 'their' music. I'm not against general cheese stuff like "Unchained Melody", Frank Sinatra, etc. but I throw in eclectic stuff from artists like Omar and Jazz remixes of popular stuff (aka: Hidden Beach stuff). The most important person to please is the bride of course.

(nm)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:54 PM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
The most important person to please is the bride of course.
(nm)

I have a slightly different approach to that statement.

Even though the bride may come up with a song list, things to do and not do, etc..etc..

I just use that as an outline, and throw some songs in that she may have requested during key parts where I know she'll hear them, but most times, their lists aren't for the crowd.

MOST people come to weddings to have a good time. They've paid an "Entrance Fee" aka gift or check, and are expected to be fed and MOST times dance.

I had one bride tell me that she didn't want ANY LINE dances at her reception.

I advised her that, based on the age range of people coming, and where they're coming from, you'd have a much more enjoyable time IF I did include some of those dances.

I of course buttered it up to be like, "I'll play them really quickly and get them out of the way", knowing full well they'd be the kick-start of any reception, especially for the "older folks" who won't dance to anything else.

I actually will play for the CROWD, and have THEM have a good time, and subsequently, they'll come up to the bridge and say, "You sure know how to throw a wedding reception", and THAT is usually what will make the bride the happiest....

Knowing that everybody had a good time and is thanking HER for throwing it....

Of course she decides to up the tip at that point. :-)
AKIEM 3:16 PM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
(nm)

Even though the bride may come up with a song list, things to do and not do, etc..etc..

I just use that as an outline, and throw some songs in that she may have requested during key parts where I know she'll hear them, but most times, their lists aren't for the crowd.

MOST people come to weddings to have a good time. They've paid an "Entrance Fee" aka gift or check, and are expected to be fed and MOST times dance.

I advised her that, based on the age range of people coming, and where they're coming from, you'd have a much more enjoyable time IF I did include some of those dances.

I of course buttered it up to be like, "I'll play them really quickly and get them out of the way", knowing full well they'd be the kick-start of any reception, especially for the "older folks" who won't dance to anything else.

I actually will play for the CROWD, and have THEM have a good time, and subsequently, they'll come up to the bridge and say, "You sure know how to throw a wedding reception", and THAT is usually what will make the bride the happiest....

The question is - do you LEAD the line dancing?
DJ VEE 3:29 PM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
(nm)

I agree. I have had brides tell me, "no line dances".
I explain to her that even though it is her day, she should keep her guests in mind, who are an important part of her day. The guests are going to play a key role in the overall atmosphere of the wedding.
I also tell her that certain things like line dances are pretty much a guarantee to be requested and even though she might not like them, the guests will. If she is still stuck with her decision, I explain to the requester that I have instructions not to play certain request. The person will usually keep asking with a "pleeeeeease". I tell them to check with the bride and if she says yes, I will be more than happy to fit in the request. By then, the bride is so involved in other things that she will say, sure, play whatever they want, keep the party going.
I also explain to the bride that I do use her playlist as more of a guide, (especially if they request a ton of hip hop or stuff that a select few will enjoy). That I will fit what I can in at the right time, but that my job is to keep the music geared towards the guests as well as the bride and the end goal if everybody to enjoy themselves.
The bride will usually narrow down some of her selections in a "must play" portion of the list.
DJ Remy USA 3:56 PM - 17 December, 2013
I play normally well known music from the 1940s to now at weddings normally goes over well. Cant forget to your line dances you should space them out through out the night so that way you can guarantee filled floor. I play line dances at weddings at the Top or bottom of every hour. Normally works good then mix your well known tracks through out the night no cursing all clean mixes.
deezlee 4:27 PM - 17 December, 2013
I don't play line dances at all. I'm in northern cali and I don't think anybody that I know even knows what the cupid shuffle or the wobble are. I've never heard either one played. I wouldn't even know about them if it wasn't for this board. Well sometimes I play the electric slide so that's one. My clients' do not play list almost always includes YMCA, celebrate good times etc. Ps no lights but a lot of venues have uplighting already. For most of my clients no "dance" lights is the vibe. But my gigs are mostly vinyl (soul, funk 45s etc.) so the vibe is simple, classy, oldschool. A disco ball would be dope.
 6 6:18 PM - 17 December, 2013
" The most important person to please is the bride of course."

I agree.

nm
the_black_one 6:39 PM - 17 December, 2013
LOL
Nm nh
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:00 PM - 17 December, 2013
Lmfao!!!
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:53 PM - 17 December, 2013
Where this thread thread has been up down and all around the world.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:27 PM - 17 December, 2013
I concur. :-)
DJ Reflex 12:29 AM - 18 December, 2013
Can we please talk about BEAMZ some more?!?

Quote:
Quote:

If they are under the illusion the price they are paying is only for djing and not for lights why dont you save yourself the effort and just dj for that price

My clients usually expect lights. In my area, every DJ (good and bad) has some sort of lighting rig. I have a small stand that I can set up in 3 minutes and I have a large rig that takes over an hour. I can show up with no lights at all, but then I've just presented myself as "the DJ with no lights". Again, in my area, I don't want to be that guy when all the other DJs are bringing lighting. It makes no difference if the bride does not pay for some extra lighting... all that matters is what the guests SEE. The bride will probably not hire me again, but most of my business is word-of-mouth. Despite a cheap bride, I still have to impress the crowd that I might be catering too the NEXT time.

At bridal expos, I always set up the large rig. It's symmetrical and looks nice even when it's off. I can up-sell that in a heartbeat when people see it.
pdidy 1:37 AM - 18 December, 2013
So what I've learned from this thread and many others like it on this forum is that nearly every aspect of djing has its regional differences, acceptances and standards ie....

1. Music Type (genre-sub genre)
2. Mic work (Kid Capri vs Let the music speak for itself)
3. Sound systems (spl levels and Bass requirements)
4. DJ gear (cheap to high end)
5. Dj software (serato vs Tracktor)
6. DJ style (East coast vs West coast degrees of technicality)
7. Lighting (required- not required)

These are just the basics and every aspect can be broken down to sub levels while each region has its own combination of standards....
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:52 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Can we please talk about BEAMZ some more?!?

Quote:
Quote:

My clients usually expect lights. In my area, every DJ (good and bad) has some sort of lighting rig. I have a small stand that I can set up in 3 minutes and I have a large rig that takes over an hour. I can show up with no lights at all, but then I've just presented myself as "the DJ with no lights". Again, in my area, I don't want to be that guy when all the other DJs are bringing lighting. It makes no difference if the bride does not pay for some extra lighting... all that matters is what the guests SEE. The bride will probably not hire me again, but most of my business is word-of-mouth. Despite a cheap bride, I still have to impress the crowd that I might be catering too the NEXT time.

At bridal expos, I always set up the large rig. It's symmetrical and looks nice even when it's off. I can up-sell that in a heartbeat when people see it.

This is what I'm talking about. Dudes bringing lights and making that the expectation. Makes it more about the show and less about the actual DJ.

Alas PDidy is spot on.
JDforKing 1:57 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
So what I've learned from this thread and many others like it on this forum is that nearly every aspect of djing has its regional differences, acceptances and standards ie....

1. Music Type (genre-sub genre)
2. Mic work (Kid Capri vs Let the music speak for itself)
3. Sound systems (spl levels and Bass requirements)
4. DJ gear (cheap to high end)
5. Dj software (serato vs Tracktor)
6. DJ style (East coast vs West coast degrees of technicality)
7. Lighting (required- not required)

These are just the basics and every aspect can be broken down to sub levels while each region has its own combination of standards....

Thank you, this is a great summary
Joee 2:19 AM - 18 December, 2013
back to it, to each his own i love uplighting it enables me to make a few dolors more on each gig, i show the client a video or picture of a room before uplighting and a vid or pic of the room after 80% of the time the want the uplighting

lights may not work for everyone but they works for me.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:30 AM - 18 December, 2013
Your name is now officially Joee Uplights
Joee 2:37 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Your name is now officially Joee Uplights

;)
 6 2:54 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
that bride has been up down and all around.

I concur.

nm
pdidy 2:55 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:

I truly despise wedding djing so much I turn most down if not for close family members. This may also explain my not receiving Big returns on my lighting investment.

Now whats really frustrating to me is the fact that wedding Dj's are on average the Highest paid djs in the game. I may have to consider making an exception....smh
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:29 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Now whats really frustrating to me is the fact that wedding Dj's are on average the Highest paid djs in the game.

Aside from "Celebrity" DJ's & EDM superstars?

You ain't know?

Man listen...
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:50 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I truly despise wedding djing so much I turn most down if not for close family members. This may also explain my not receiving Big returns on my lighting investment.

Now whats really frustrating to me is the fact that wedding Dj's are on average the Highest paid djs in the game. I may have to consider making an exception....smh

Lmfao, exactly the same here, the following conversation acutually occured thanksgiving week:

Im spinning a hole in the wall bar and drunk guy comes up to me

Guy: your killin it!!

Me: thanks

Guy: do you have a card i really want you to spin my wedding

Me: nah i dont do weddings

Guy: really? Cause we dont want a normal one we want one with music like this

Me: come see me later im busy right now but mabye later i can give you the number of a good wedding dj

Guy: well we really want you to do it my wife and i really like how you soin

Me: i dont really do weddings though

Guy: man theres gotta be a way to get you, the dj my parents hired for my sisters wedding cost $3000 and it was just some old lady with a laptop

Me: dude i dont.....wait how much?

Guy: $3000 and all she did was sit in a chair on a laptop

Me: well we cant have that look heres my cell # email and facebook call me anytime and well work out an appointment
pdidy 7:17 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Now whats really frustrating to me is the fact that wedding Dj's are on average the Highest paid djs in the game.

Aside from "Celebrity" DJ's & EDM superstars?

You ain't know?

Man listen...

They dont count so no need to mention them (superstar dj's)

Ive always known the REAL money was in wedding djing, just cant bring myself to do it.
Joee 10:43 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:

;-)
Joee 11:01 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lmfao, exactly the same here, the following conversation acutually occured thanksgiving week:

Me: come see me later im busy right now but mabye later i can give you the number of a good wedding dj

Guy: man theres gotta be a way to get you, the dj my parents hired for my sisters wedding cost $3000 and it was just some old lady with a laptop

Me: well we cant have that look heres my cell # email and facebook call me anytime and well work out an appointment

you can get this kind of money, but you have to be an all around dj that know his music form 50's to the present time and be able to please a wide audience & don't show up with two 12 inch speaker on stick and nothing else

doing a wedding is a lot more than just showing up and playing music, but the plus side there people are spending 10's of thousands of dollars and you to will get some of that money

do a good job & you will at least book another wedding from that one…….true story, i took a buddy of mine manny years ago to do a wedding with me he played dmx ludacris MOVE during cocktail hour

i'm on the other side of the room & i hear MOVE BITCH GET OUT THE WAY, i say what the fu@k is the idiot doing…..i run over there and say turn this Sh!t off NOW……he says it's cool…i say turn this sh!t the fu@k off now…..agin naw it's cool……the bride come running over and say could you please turn this music off my pastor is here

i take over for the rest of the night, the only wedding i never got a call back for, i now dj weddings by my self.
Ollie 11:18 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you can get this kind of money, but you have to be an all around dj that know his music form 50's to the present time and be able to please a wide audience & don't show up with two 12 inch speaker on stick and nothing else

doing a wedding is a lot more than just showing up and playing music, but the plus side there people are spending 10's of thousands of dollars and you to will get some of that money

do a good job & you will at least book another wedding from that one…….true story, i took a buddy of mine manny years ago to do a wedding with me he played dmx ludacris MOVE during cocktail hour

i'm on the other side of the room & i hear MOVE BITCH GET OUT THE WAY, i say what the fu@k is the idiot doing…..i run over there and say turn this Sh!t off NOW……he says it's cool…i say turn this sh!t the fu@k off now…..agin naw it's cool……the bride come running over and say could you please turn this music off my pastor is here

i take over for the rest of the night, the only wedding i never got a call back for, i now dj weddings by my self.

Stuff like this is what got this thread started. Just the wrong music at the wrong time. The no lights thing was what topped it all off. The guy had people dancing in the dark. I wanted to walk up and say wtf? No matter what, all dj's should consider presentation when gigging. ( I mean bringing something is better than nothing.) Ok everyone, carry on....
DJ Remy USA 8:49 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Its really not that bad, I use to feel the same way no you cant play the latest ratchetness or play vulgar music but you can sure get down on the turntables with clean party music that all ages can vibe with. I actually enjoy doing my mobiles now more so than I did a couple years ago.
pdidy 11:02 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Its really not that bad,

Quote:
I actually enjoy doing my mobiles now more so than I did a couple years ago.

aaah shit, think im gonna be sick...Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 11:50 PM - 18 December, 2013
^ stop hattin pdidy, private partys are the BEST
DJ Reflex 4:24 AM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Its really not that bad, I use to feel the same way no you cant play the latest ratchetness or play vulgar music but you can sure get down on the turntables with clean party music that all ages can vibe with. I actually enjoy doing my mobiles now more so than I did a couple years ago.

I know most of the DJs here are club DJs. I do promote myself as a "club-style, mixing DJ" for the weddings that I do. I've said it many times before on this forum that I do mix, scratch, and mash-up songs at weddings with my 1200's. (Not bragging - I'm not to DMC levels or anything.) But, you are right, most wedding Djs are as cheesy as a used car salesman. There are two in my are that I trust and have a quality reputation as good DJs. The rest are scammers who show up with laptops. No skills... just a bunch of fancy Up-Lights!

The show that a club DJ puts on - like DJ VAL-DKNY11203 said, is about the music. That may be the case for clubs, but for mobile work, "The Show" is about more than just the music. It's about the atmosphere (we have no permanent club to design it for us - we have to create it), reading a wide range of party-goers (moms / uncles / kids / brides / etc...), the timing (not just playing the right song at the right time, but also coordinating with photographers, caterers, and the bride's overall schedule... and yes, the music.

While most of you guys diss wedding DJs for how cheesy they can be or how ridiculous they get paid, keep in mind that we do a lot of work behind the scenes for our own business. We have to maintain and hook up our own gear (no club installs), research a WIDE variety of music, and cater to the most hostile crowds in the industry! Ever seen a pissed off bridzilla that didn't get her freeking pink margaritas that she paid extra for? :)

Two different aspects to the same art. I loved club work when I did it back in college. Now, I actually put in more hours and more energy getting my DJ biz straight for weddings. In fact, I just drove 45 minutes to have dinner with a client tonight. Got the contract, and yes... they want up-lights!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:48 PM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
No skills... just a bunch of fancy Up-Lights!

Ok, this is a great runner up for "Quote of the Year"....

The first was -
Quote:
it's a 1200, it'll last longer than most people's dj careers

serato.com
O.B.1 10:23 PM - 19 December, 2013
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 think about it like this:

You yourself have mentioned in many a previous thread about how back in your college days your crew had the biggest sound system around, to the point of intimidating all the other DJ's in you area. As a result you were able to basically muscle them out of event bookings and have a monpoly on the bigger functions.
It is similar with lighting now too. For example would you want to be known as the guy with a mushroom light and a strobe, or the dude with the super pimp LED uplights/trusses/and moving head color washes. It makes a big difference when going after the higher profile (i.e. higher paying) gigs.
I concede that lighting/DMX protocol/rigging is a whole other beast from simply DJ'ing - but no more complicated that setting up and tuning a large sound system.
In the mobile market, you are providing an entire experience beyond the music.
So if the market calls for it, why limit yourself?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:30 PM - 19 December, 2013
You are EXACTLY right in ALL accounts of your post.....

But -

Quote:

My "Market" doesn't call for it...

You have to think of my audiences' upbringing..

It started off with basement house parties...

God help the man who turned on a SINGLE LIGHT....

We MAY have had a single red one, so cats wouldn't bump into each other all night...but you get my drift.

Fast forward to college...

We had 2 Pin Bot "Search lights"... and a fog machine....nobody else had that...but again, no craziness as far as the lights were concerned because our mode of intimidation was the loudness and clarity of the music and our flow.

Fast forward to cats coming up now - they can't have basement parties the way we used to, so they have "Teen Clubs"...complete with all the lights, fog, confetti, ballons, fog, and whatever else they can throw at them.

THOSE cats are the ones who would "Expect" lights and additional entertainment...

Feel me?

I'm not DJ'ing for that crowd....
Joee 10:33 PM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 think about it like this:

You yourself have mentioned in many a previous thread about how back in your college days your crew had the biggest sound system around, to the point of intimidating all the other DJ's in you area. As a result you were able to basically muscle them out of event bookings and have a monpoly on the bigger functions.
It is similar with lighting now too. For example would you want to be known as the guy with a mushroom light and a strobe, or the dude with the super pimp LED uplights/trusses/and moving head color washes. It makes a big difference when going after the higher profile (i.e. higher paying) gigs.
I concede that lighting/DMX protocol/rigging is a whole other beast from simply DJ'ing - but no more complicated that setting up and tuning a large sound system.
In the mobile market, you are providing an entire experience beyond the music.

well said sir i concur, but i fear there is no getting thru to johnnym
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:34 PM - 19 December, 2013
I'm not totally "against" the lighting, but it would HAVE to be something close to that 3-5 minute setup dude posted earlier, and priced VERY accordingly.

I've never been turned town to DJ a party because I didn't have lights...

Ever.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:35 PM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
well said sir i concur, but i fear there is no getting thru to johnnym

Y'all just missed all that stuff cats said about Demographics...

What, you just don't believe there's an area out here where cats really don't "care" for lights?

It depends on your audience.
DJ Reflex 10:46 PM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
Fast forward to cats coming up now - they can't have basement parties the way we used to, so they have "Teen Clubs"...complete with all the lights, fog, confetti, ballons, fog, and whatever else they can throw at them.

Well said! I too, came from basement parties and college jams that ran until the sun came up. Maybe we have bread a part crowd that expects all the frills (but very little skills). But then again, look at your average concert experience. Back in the day it was music and performance. Now it's pyrotechnics, large video screens and lasers.

No one is knocking you for your market niche. To each his own. The fact that we are still rocking out crowds and getting gigs on our own is testament to our craft. I got lights and quite frankly, need them in order to compete here. If you don't, great! Consider it a blessing NOT to have to lug all that crap around to make the money you do. :)
 6 10:48 PM - 19 December, 2013
Yup. Old folk are going blind. Blind people don't need lights. :-P

nm
DJ Reflex 10:51 PM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
Yup. Old folk are going blind. Blind people don't need lights. :-P

nm

LOL All my contracts are in Braille.
 6 10:53 PM - 19 December, 2013
And music is what should motivate a crowd, not lights. That's why I never bought into the whole edm shows.

I personally don't like carrying lights and setting up lights and I've never once not been hired because of it. I do always carry two Evo lights. That's it. The gigs that require a whole light system usually require a huge sound system too and for that I just have a company supply both. I just being my turntables and mixer, laptop, etc. Nm
Joee 10:54 PM - 19 December, 2013
i too came from basement/house partys ok, i remember when onyx throw ya guns came out everybody literally pulled out a gun and put it in the air

but those days are way behind me and i have a different clientele now a days, check this pic out you can't tell me that this does not completely transform the room, i have no problem selling uplighting when they see the difference it make they say wow i want that, it's really not a hard sell

www.localmotionent.com
 6 10:57 PM - 19 December, 2013
I do like uplighting. I think it's a classier look.

nm
Joee 11:01 PM - 19 December, 2013
yes it is, hence you will get them classier gigs, i keep trying to tell johnnym but not having any luck

damn hard headed old man probably sitting on the couch farting up a storm right now as we speak
DJ GaFFle 11:03 PM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:

...God help the man who turned on a SINGLE LIGHT....

LMAO!

Quote:
We MAY have had a single red one.../quote]

...Or blue
DJ Reflex 11:04 PM - 19 December, 2013
All the rooms on the third floor had red lights!
pdidy 11:41 PM - 19 December, 2013
Wedding DJ
Client: Bride, Groom
Total Budget: $15,000 - $30,000

VS

Party DJ
Client: Promoters, Regular People
Total Budget: $500 - $3000

The standards applied to one does not necessarily apply to the other. These are very different markets and can not be thrown into the same basket. That would be very misleading and out of context.
Joee 11:57 PM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
Wedding DJ

VS

Party DJ

The standards applied to one does not necessarily apply to the other. These are very different markets and can not be thrown into the same basket. That would be very misleading and out of context.

but yet you can get a extra $100 out of them for 8 uplights, even if they cost you $100 each after 8 gigs with them there payed off

still think there not worth it?
pdidy 12:20 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Wedding DJ

VS

Party DJ

but yet you can get a extra $100 out of them for 8 uplights, even if they cost you $100 each after 8 gigs with them there payed off

Im a party dj and in my market area 1 or 2 Cheap dot led lights is standard at no additional cost. The competition and budgets are so tight, $100 can decide if a dj gets the gig or not regardless of lights.

But yes I really like uplights, its just that i would likely have to give it away at no additional cost in order to stay competitive in NYC.
BIGG BEAR 12:25 AM - 20 December, 2013
In the past over here djs used to take out these big massive rigs to play to 200 people,Like it was a case of how much stuff they could get in their van,most of these guys though had next to no skills,yes they played the right music sounded ok on the mic but I always thought they were hiding behind their gear.
I started to subscribe to mobile beat mag years ago to see what happened over the other side of the pond,what I found from reading this was that the american jocks were far more buisness orientated,but the impression I got was that from a performance point of view it was allot more caberet with the tux and the master of ceromonies style,line dances and stuff.
I'm not saying thats what you guys do in fact I would really love to be a fly on the wall at one of your mobile weddings as it sound good because most of you guys seem to also put on a good technical show with the mixing etc.

I've not done a wedding for a while but the average English wedding gig from a dj point of view would go something like this......
Customer phones and books you requirements are discussed on the phone,I doubt there are many if any face to face meetings before the wedding.
The wedding,meal and best man stuff usually takes place during the afternoon with familly and close friends.
On the day the dj is required for the night event usually at a hotel
Dj turns up and sets up ready for a 7 or 7.30 start.
The guests start to arrive including some that are just coming to the night part of the wedding.
Dj plays background music till perhaps around 9 pm when the buffet is served the guests have their food.
Dj then gets the bride and groom up to say a few words,the bride and groom have their first dance the time is probably around 10pm by now.
Once the first dance is done dj cranks it up and goes into a wide range of crowd pleasing songs to hopefully fill the dancefloor till around 12/12.30.
Then its thank you very much goodnight.
An estimate of the crowd size would be around 100 to 200 people max.
The average setup would be 2 x 15 speakers sometimes bass bins
A t bar or 2 with lighting effects.
maybe smoke or haze.
This is an example of a wedding of your average person I'm sure the very rich push the boat out more.
The impression of American weddings that I get is that its a bit like what you have in the films like father of the bride,the wedding planner etc etc.
Joee 12:31 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wedding DJ

VS

Party DJ

Im a party dj and in my market area 1 or 2 Cheap dot led lights is standard at no additional cost. The competition and budgets are so tight, $100 can decide if a dj gets the gig or not regardless of lights.

But yes I really like uplights, its just that i would likely have to give it away at no additional cost in order to stay competitive in NYC.

dame people in new york are cheap, not even willing to pay $100 extra? damn

i'll consider myself lucky than
pdidy 12:58 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:

Im able to achieve this look with 2 cheap led's an laser at a cost of $350 and 5min setup time.
i26.photobucket.com
Joee 2:27 AM - 20 December, 2013
that a good look, but the laser doesn't give that affect without some king of smoke or haze in the air
O.B.1 2:34 AM - 20 December, 2013
That's not really a good look. I would rather have 4 LED slimpars w/ dmx control for the same $350.
but I understand that it depends on the market - and Pdidy you definitely seem to put sound equipment ahead of lighting.
pdidy 6:15 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
That's not really a good look. I would rather have 4 LED slimpars w/ dmx control for the same $350.but I understand that it depends on the market.

when taking a minimalistic approach to lighting i would choose effect over wash lighting, but of course there is no one right answer.
Quote:
and Pdidy you definitely seem to put sound equipment ahead of lighting.

true, there is no competition between the two in my market, skills and sound quality trumps everything......lighting is not even a close second. but if i were a certified wedding dj my story would definitely be a lil different.
pdidy 6:18 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
that a good look, but the laser doesn't give that affect without some king of smoke or haze in the air

true.

the inexperienced user would have missed that detail....;)
pdidy 6:46 AM - 20 December, 2013
This is a $900 laser i own.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Used it i quite a few of the clubs I play at...... bottom line....... they gave no fucks about it or any other lighting....lol

Market and region is everything....
Ollieboy 8:52 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
This is a $900 laser i own.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Used it i quite a few of the clubs I play at...... bottom line....... they gave no fucks about it or any other lighting....lol

Great lighting. People may not be as vocal on complementing you on the lighting but I guarantee it makes a big difference in setting the mood/atmosphere. I still don't get the fact of some people saying they don't need it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:55 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
i have no problem selling uplighting when they see the difference it make they say wow i want that, it's really not a hard sell
www.localmotionent.com

That's if your MARKET DESIRES it...

I'm telling you, some cats don't WANT all them lights....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:56 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
The competition and budgets are so tight, $100 can decide if a dj gets the gig or not regardless of lights.

^^Truth^^

Quote:

And therein lies the problem....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:57 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
...God help the man who turned on a SINGLE LIGHT....

LMAO!

Quote:
We MAY have had a single red one...
...Or blue

Boom...

Say that *ish again, they didn't hear you...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:59 AM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:

Oh, so now if Pdidy says it, it's believable?

LOL...

lol @ us using Pdidy as a point of reference when getting a 2nd opinion....

me for the EV's, you for the threshold of lighting costs...

Stick around Pdidy, you're coming in handy.

NM
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:00 PM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
but I understand that it depends on the market - and Pdidy you definitely seem to put sound equipment ahead of lighting.

Definitely a demographic thing.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:03 PM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
true, there is no competition between the two in my market, skills and sound quality trumps everything......

^^This is what I'm talking about^^^

Quote:
lighting is not even a close second. but if i were a certified wedding dj my story would definitely be a lil different.

Quoted for truth.

If I were trying to do Weddings, or Proms, or Sweet 16's on a REGULAR basis, this would be a different story...

I never do proms, but have done a Sweet 16 or two...

Hated it.

My crowd wants to feel the bass, (or I want them to), and hear the mix....That's it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:04 PM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:

Boom.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:07 PM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
I still don't get the fact of some people saying they don't need it.

It's a reality.

The ONLY time I know someone would want lights is IF I was to do some teenybopper thing where

1.) The CHAPERONES would want the place lit up as much as possible to keep an eye on those hormone enraged kids....

2.) We know the attention span of teens is slip, nil, and none, so you have to throw as much stuff at them as possible.
Joee 1:49 PM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, so now if Pdidy says it, it's believable?

LOL...

lol @ us using Pdidy as a point of reference when getting a 2nd opinion....

me for the EV's, you for the threshold of lighting costs...

Stick around Pdidy, you're coming in handy.

NM

me and pdidy are in the same club the 67 club not to be confused with jay z's 40/40 club

you see we both own ev zxa5 & rane 62, 62 + 5 = 67……..me and you we cool & all but your not part of the club

pdidy is (Familia)

67 club woot woot

*****throws up the number 67 like gang signs*****

Watchwww.youtube.com 22 seconds in 67 CLUB WOOT WOOT
Joee 1:54 PM - 20 December, 2013
67 club WOOT WOOT----> www.bet.com
 6 2:00 AM - 21 December, 2013
I said it once and I will say it again.

nm
Joee 1:03 PM - 21 December, 2013
Quote:

nm

your not part of the club six

your not part of the club six

67 club WOOT WOOT----> www.bet.com
TjDaDj 12:04 AM - 10 January, 2014
DJ lights make me think about seizures >.< anyone here have epilepsy?
Watchwww.youtube.com