DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

TTM 57 SL With Virtual DJ....

DJ XXPLOSIVE 8:13 AM - 3 January, 2009
does anyone know how to use the 57 with virtual dj instead of serato..
nobspangle 12:43 PM - 3 January, 2009
Can't be done unless you want to DJ in internal mode.
The 57 doesn't support recording any input other than the one selected on the input selector knob which means it's not possible to send the control signal back to the software.
DJ Unique 11:26 PM - 3 January, 2009
Does anyone know how to put a Hyundai engine in my Porsche?
devastator 11:46 PM - 3 January, 2009
Why In the world would anyone want to use Vdj and have the 57 WOW it like owning a Corvette and using the pinto lmao
Marty Mcfly 5:40 AM - 4 January, 2009
the only reason i can think of is to mix video without the video sl plugin and without mix emergency.
devastator 9:49 AM - 4 January, 2009
I did not look at it that way ... then again ive never driven a pinto
lvmez 12:45 AM - 5 January, 2009
Quote:

lol.
djsample 4:03 PM - 5 January, 2009
Well I had the same question? VDJ's video is more powerful and gives you more options (putting the video and audio on seperate controls is the biggest thing). I only use Vdj for video cause there is no doubt in my mind serato is more reliable but Vdj has been doing video longer. Nothing is more annoying than scratching a video and watching the video transitions flicker as you scratch or blending 2 songs together and not wanting the crowd to see the next video just yet. These are options that are a must when spinning video. Not having these options really limits your creativity when mixing. No offense to Serato cause I still swear by Serato and wouldn't use anything else to mix music.
boabmatic 4:54 PM - 5 January, 2009
Quote:
Nothing is more annoying than scratching a video and watching the video transitions flicker as you scratch or blending 2 songs together and not wanting the crowd to see the next video just yet. These are options that are a must when spinning video. Not having these options really limits your creativity when mixing.

you can do both of those in VSL already?
Joshua Carl 5:56 PM - 5 January, 2009
for video.... its not quite there yet.
after 2 weeks of trying to use VDJ, im just gonna quit. and go VSLplugin
I was able to get my 57 to work with VDJ

but you still have to control the video with the on screen fader.
all audio is through the asio soundcard in the 57.
you can even use the serato vinyl/57 with the VDJ now.

tweak the settings.. why on earth youd want to use VDJ audio over serato
is beyond me... unless you NEEEEED samples, automix, and a few other 1-touch effects.

fact is... it crashed on me 4 times in 1 night.
maybe it is vista 32, but SSL has NEVER crashed on me. and thats what I need.

I leaned to VDJ beacuse it plays EVERY FORMAT OF VIDEO.
Im GONNA HAVE TO suck it up and convert all my divx/vobs/mpeg2 mkv videos I guess
djsample 6:43 PM - 5 January, 2009
Thats the other point I forgot. VOB is awsome but very taxing on the cpu and video cards. I currently run 2 320mb/320bit video cards in sli and VDJ hasn't crashed yet but if I can midi a controller to the video fader in VSL than I'll have to give it another try. Just the same converting all this video to mp4 is gonna take a bit of time
nobspangle 6:56 PM - 5 January, 2009
Quote:
Thats the other point I forgot. VOB is awsome but very taxing on the cpu and video cards. I currently run 2 320mb/320bit video cards in sli and VDJ hasn't crashed yet but if I can midi a controller to the video fader in VSL than I'll have to give it another try. Just the same converting all this video to mp4 is gonna take a bit of time

You can use the headphone fader to control video which leaves the crossfader free for audio.
Joshua Carl 7:05 PM - 5 January, 2009
Quote:

You can use the headphone fader to control video which leaves the crossfader free for audio.

is that a mapping trick...
but Id like to use the headphone fader so I can do my audio portion of the mix.
can you assign it to a knob maybe?

I have no idea how people do it without headphones and audio.
Ive always been all "ears"
Dj Wilde 7:24 PM - 5 January, 2009
XXPlosice,

I think VDJ is junk, especially if your using it in conjunction with a TTM57, but if that is your brand of vodka I won't stand in your way.

You need to go into properties of VDJ and set the TTM57 as your sound card (it should have a serato graphic), than set the mixer to 2 channel and the time coded reader to either CD's or Vinyl. You will need to be in internal mode (which was said earlier). Note: I tried this once so I could record a mix with one of the VDJ loops in the background and it crashed over, and over and over again!

Good luck.
treeo730 3:28 AM - 6 January, 2009
Quote:

LMAO!
Joshua Carl 8:59 PM - 6 January, 2009
after the last 2 weeks Im giving up on VDJ.
I was given a free copy of pro, and it just isnt stable enough on vista 32.

the BIGGEST selling point I think was the ability to play pretty much ANYTHNIG.
but when it closes once an hour, whats the point.

I know I could turn around and go buy a macbookpro.
but Id like to think 3+ ghz dual x4gb ram and a Nvidea 8900 could rock it.

guess I was mistaken...

and of course when Im doing audio only, I live by ssl.
looks like I have alot of converting to do
Djphenominal 10:15 PM - 8 January, 2009
If your thinking a mac book pro with virtual dj is any better, think again. Worst than the pc version. Tried em both. Just finished converting my vob library to mp4. Could not be happier.
Joshua Carl 12:12 AM - 9 January, 2009
the conversion started today for me too...

what are you using for such a big job...
Im trying media encoder (theres a thing here about the presets)

drop the folder...
set it, and forget it...

(but im always looking forsomething "better")
Djphenominal 3:22 AM - 10 January, 2009
I used media coder. I tried everything uder the sun for 3 weeks, nothing came close to it. I set up my old dj rackmount pc in a corner of my living room and let it run for a week. Be sure to set the key frames at a low rate ( Basically follow the settings suggested here )
If possible do your converting on a pc u will not be needing and just let it do it's job.
Once i finished i ran all the mp4 files through tag & rename and fixed all the data tags on all my files. Time consuming but well worth it. Good luck.
Joshua Carl 3:28 AM - 10 January, 2009
after some "tweaking" and help from itchie I think I finally got the settings perfect for media encoder (if u mess with the effects you get muddy videos)

now Im wondering if I should convert EVERYTHING to mp4, because they say SSL VSL wil play mpg well...and thats what 60% of my files are
LightFighter 6:46 AM - 12 January, 2009
virtual DJ is garbage....... like any computer auto mixing crap

When I dj at the Titty Bar I use PCDJ cause you can set the fade time to 3 mins on the songs and I can arrange playlist by the girls.. to easy
Djphenominal 10:23 PM - 12 January, 2009
I wouldn't say it's total garbage. Up until mix emergency came out i used serato for audio only and virtual dj for music videos on a windows based laptop. It did the job, not as good as serato but it got me through. Serato is simply a better, tighter - more dj lie application. VDJ does what it does and it's ok, i abandoned pcdj for vdj. Once i went serato i never looked back.

Quote:
after some "tweaking" and help from itchie I think I finally got the settings perfect for media encoder (if u mess with the effects you get muddy videos)

now Im wondering if I should convert EVERYTHING to mp4, because they say SSL VSL wil play mpg well...and thats what 60% of my files are

I asked myself that same question b4 i started and realized that if i tried to do my entire library of vob files i would still be converting and not have even dented my collection. I decided to only do the videos that i would definitely play and better organize my video files at the same time .
Joshua Carl 10:37 PM - 12 January, 2009
I definatly think vdj is geared to wedding/mobile/small pub djs.
not "performance" (for lack of better terms)

I think this past saturday will be my final week with VDJ (if you see my other posts...Im all ssl for audio, and was using vdj for video, most files were mpeg2, mpg, vob, mkv)

though, now that about 500 gigs of my video (My main videos) are converted
they worked very well this past week in vdj. I had one shutdown, and im pretty sure it was from trying to play a 150mb avi file looped up with effects engaged on both sides.
there are certainly a few cosmetic features I wish SSL had, that vdj had in video.
being able to make the windows different sizes and lock them, ect ect
small shit, nothing mind blowing....
this ONE video gig I have, Id love to be all ssl, but I cant bring my TTs anyways.
its a big college bar, hardly a club.
so, Im weighing the options...again...
I hate feeling like Im driving the enterprise when I use the 57 with vdj.
Id hate to leave this gig for a better saturday with all this time wasted on video
(because theres like 3 places that do it here)
blaze266 10:02 AM - 5 May, 2009
I know this is old news now but I just recently bought serato video sl plugin and much to my anticipation I was pretty disappointed in it. Im still on pc and it totally chews the ass out of it!

Dont get me wrong but for some that cant afford overpriced macbook pros and ttm57 mixers these days, VDJ works just as good if not better than VSL in my opinion. Ive been a VDJ user for the last year and it has served me well alongside SL1 and serato timecodes. The VSL plugin did not suprise me one bit. I think half the problem were the uneccessary effects in effect banks which almost all of them are just a waste of cpu usage. No one gives a shit about blur, 3d effects etc when in a live club situation. I think that if they had got rid of them annoying video effect banks, low end users like myself might benefit a bit more from it. But in the meantime my money is with VDJ for video for now.
westell54 4:28 PM - 5 May, 2009
Well, while I agree with you on the issue with some of the seemingly unnecessary effects that most people won't use, and some people use just to justify the money they spent on the software. I don't think Serato is basing the software around effects like some of the competition. I used to be a VDJ user, and actually I used a couple of the other programs before settling with SSL and VSL. I think that based on what Serato initially developed ScratchLive for was for the turntablists who needed the advantages of digital music capability, without the disadvantages of being totally computer based. I like ScratchLive's simplicity, and for all the stuff they have added to satisfy some of the users, they give the old schoolers like me, the option of not using the additional stuff if I don't want to. Other than it killing your PC, what exactly disappoints you about the VSL plugin?
DJ Unique 5:22 AM - 6 May, 2009
I like to know as well.
What kills your PC?
Give is some info on your PC.
DJ Watty 9:03 PM - 29 December, 2009
I am just getting ready to buy the TTM57. The main reason I use VDJ over Serato as a mobile DJ is because I do a lot of Karaoke gigs. So if I am using VDJ I only need ONE program running on one computer. Also AUTO PLAY is very nice as a mobile DJ giving us a chance to interact with the crowd, bride, groom, ect. I am getting the TT57 because I am unhappy with the performance of the time code on VDJ using the MAYA44. I learned to use Serato at DubSpot in NYC and loved how nice and smooth it ran. I know I bitched about it before and a lot of you think it would be stupid for VSL to support it, but how hard would it be to support just one more format of video!? If MP3+G was supported I would likely never use VDJ again unless at a venue where auto play was absolutely needed or as a back up music source on a seperate PC.
Joshua Carl 9:38 PM - 29 December, 2009
wow... what an old thread...
well its good to know my perspective hasnt changed in a year.
DJ Watty 10:50 PM - 29 December, 2009
LMAO. sorry. I ordered the TTM57 today and googled TTM57 virtual dj and found this thread. I just relized how old the post was... /sigh Again... sorry >.<
jbnyc 12:16 AM - 30 December, 2009
Quote:

Im GONNA HAVE TO suck it up and convert all my divx/vobs/mpeg2 mkv videos I guess

thats what ive been doing for the past 2 months lol
Joshua Carl 12:20 AM - 30 December, 2009
I wrote that 51 weeks ago.

it took me about 3-4 months to get everything done.
(I wasnt grinding on it... just pluggin away)

I wish I had named my files so when i dropped them in vsl they were tagged properly.

one thing I didnt do properly.
jbnyc 12:31 AM - 30 December, 2009
when it comes to files in serato, OCD is my middle name lol, it just_bothers_me_when_iseethe-names-like-this lol, i think for the past 3 months ive been spending like 75% working on my libraries and 25% spinning and that fucking bothers me, im 90% done so im not that mad anymore :0)
Victor L 8:36 PM - 4 January, 2010
jbnyc, please send me a copy on an external when you're done .. thanks :)
dj synystr 8:12 PM - 5 January, 2010
i don't understand why so many people shit on VDJ that NEVER used it. i run it 3-4 nights a week for 100% video with multiple plugins, text 2 screen via Firetext, logo overlays, effects and more and i have NO ISSUES other than user related. my cpu NEVER goes over 50% and video NEVER freezes. i don't have some super duper laptop, granted its decent and tweaked but i would call it a "medium" machine for video being a T8100 duo, 4 gigs ram, nvidia 8400gs. BOTH VSL and VDJ have there problems just look at both boards. now with that being said........

as stated you can only run it for a sound card. the rane in there infinite wisdom doesn't allow the mixer to be midi mappable. which IMO is stupid you would sell so many more units making it usable for various programs but oh well.
DJ.T.BOOGIE 10:15 PM - 7 January, 2010
Quote:
i don't understand why so many people shit on VDJ that NEVER used it. i run it 3-4 nights a week for 100% video with multiple plugins, text 2 screen via Firetext, logo overlays, effects and more and i have NO ISSUES other than user related. my cpu NEVER goes over 50% and video NEVER freezes. i don't have some super duper laptop, granted its decent and tweaked but i would call it a "medium" machine for video being a T8100 duo, 4 gigs ram, nvidia 8400gs. BOTH VSL and VDJ have there problems just look at both boards. now with that being said........

as stated you can only run it for a sound card. the rane in there infinite wisdom doesn't allow the mixer to be midi mappable. which IMO is stupid you would sell so many more units making it usable for various programs but oh well.

+1
jbnyc 5:22 AM - 8 January, 2010
Quote:

props to you synister!! i see you've done a lot of work, keep it up!!