Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

BPM display on Serato DJ

Shay.Sekler 6:00 PM - 4 December, 2013
Hi,I'm wondering if there is any way to change the BPM display on Serato DJ.
On Serato Intro you see the BPM with 2 more digits (it's much more accurate-for example 125.97),but on Serato DJ you get to see only 1 digit after the dot (sorry about the poor English....It only shows 125.9).is there any way to change it?

Thanks
Shay
Davideon 6:44 PM - 4 December, 2013
I don't believe there is, although some users have requested it. But do you really need it?

Ps: "decimal places" is what u refer to
Shay.Sekler 5:47 PM - 19 January, 2014
Good god,I really should log in here more often... :)
first-thanks! it drove me crazy for a couple of days :)

here's the deal-I'm new to the DJ world,Iv'e played mostly small venues,and Iv'e been told by one of my 'DJ Idols' that the decimal difference in BPM are really obvious in big clubs with huge sounds systems...
I use my ears,but I don't trust myself enough at this point to relay only on my hearing.this is why I even look at the BPM counter.from your experience-does it matter if I'm 0.01 BPM off? and if so,how can I use Serato to pass by it?
phatbob 11:48 AM - 20 January, 2014
Your 'DJ Idol' is talking out of his ass.

You are doing it the 'correct' way now.

By all means use the BPM counter to get the BPM of the two tracks roughly the same, but then use your ears to get the mix just right.

Relying on BPMs precisely means you have to trust that your software has analysed the BPM of each track 100% exactly right, and that is not the case with any software.

People on the dancefloor don't care if the BPMs are matched to 2 decimal points, they care if the two tracks SOUND perfectly matched. And the only thing that can make THAT judgement, is your ears.

Keep going as you are. You're on the right road.
Shay.Sekler 8:33 AM - 23 January, 2014
Phatbob-Thanks for the answer!
pueblofunky 3:11 PM - 24 January, 2014
I would also prefer 1 or 2 decimals in the library view.

It is NOT for mixing. It's just to display the data I want to see (and I want to see much much more data in the library view but that's another point).

The BPM with 2 decimal places is stored in a special ID3 tag by Serato during the analyzing process in the music file - beside the normal standard BPM tag (without decimals).

It is also NOT a problem to make a config parameter in the library view where the user can enter the number of decimals he wants to see - and Serato displays 0, 1 (rounded) or 2 decimals.

If you don't want to see it - leave the value at 0 and that's it. Other users can change it to 1 or 2.

It's a simple program change (I am programmer for 30 years now), so I don't understand the problem NOT to implement it ...