DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

thinking of selling my ssl 1 box

Chuck Taylor 1:20 PM - 4 December, 2013
hey guys

I my rane 62 should arrive any day now going to use serato dj

so may never need to use my ssl 1 box again

thinking of selling it or is it worth keeping for any reason ??

to sell or to keep lol ??
boabmatic 2:15 PM - 4 December, 2013
only worth keeping if you need to DJ somewhere where you cant plugin your 62 or if you are getting offered a really low price for it.

But you will only be able to use it with SSL as it wont be supported with SDJ.
DJ VEE 4:21 PM - 4 December, 2013
You could probably get $3-400 for it on eBay. Take that and put towards an SL2. Then you have the option to use it if you can't hook up the 62, or you would have a backup at least. In case something happens with your 62.
Or have SSL and SDJ installed, keep the SL1 and still have a backup.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:39 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:
You could probably get $3-400 for it on eBay.

Man....Ioonknow about dat.....
DJ VEE 6:03 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Man....Ioonknow about dat.....

Gotta admit, I have not looked for a while tho. Bet the ones I saw were new, not used.
Code:E 6:29 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:

what crack are you on. I want some. SL1 = $150-$250

But i guess theres a sucker born every min.
DJ Benny B NYC 6:46 PM - 4 December, 2013
and that number will continue to go down... its almost worthless.
DTweed 8:41 PM - 4 December, 2013
Serato shot themselves in the for with this. By lowering the price point they are letting more amateur people who are not dedicated to the craft to have an opportunity to water down the culture even further.

SMH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:02 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:
Serato shot themselves in the for with this. By lowering the price point they are letting more amateur people who are not dedicated to the craft to have an opportunity to water down the culture even further.

SMH

Serato did this?

Or technology in general?
Code:E 9:18 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:
Serato shot themselves in the for with this.

By what? Choosing to un support outdated hardware with new software?
DJTorchmusic 9:32 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:

SMH

I'm sorry...this statement makes no sense. Serato is a company and they are here to make money. Do you really think they care about the skill level of who they sell to? There are a lot more "wanna be" Djs than there are Pros.
DTweed 10:58 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Serato shot themselves in the for with this.

By what? Choosing to un support outdated hardware with new software?

Sorry I should have been a little bit more clear (and also forgot Rane and Serato are separate). But yeah basically by not supporting an older but still functioning box they just lowered the entry point for people to DJ. That's like Porsche making a $30,000 car that still functioned as a $100,000. Everyone is going to wanna get a Porsche so of how everyone got the knock off Caddy and fronted like it was a Bently
Wazo 11:19 PM - 4 December, 2013
i got SL1 and still going strong. too bad you cant take the guts out and stick them into something cool.
Code:E 12:14 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
i got SL1 and still going strong. too bad you cant take the guts out and stick them into something cool.

Its been done lots. But it will will never support Serato DJ. Which is why they are decreasing in value daily.

Most Pioneer mixers have enough room to fit it inside.
Chuck Taylor 2:13 AM - 5 December, 2013
I could prob get $120 for ssl 1 on ebay

but I think I mite just keep it in case something happens to my mixer or I need it one day
djvtyme85 2:24 AM - 5 December, 2013
but we have two years realistically. clubs will probably take 3-4 to update. look how long it took for most to get 57s or update to newer djm mixers. i say every dj should own a sl box & if your money is up a all in one.
DJ Alkemy 2:59 AM - 5 December, 2013
I still got mine. I'll probably never need anything else. I hope it shoots down in price so if mine packs in I'll just replace it. I ain't interested in any software updates other than 1.9.2. Two turntables, mixer and laptop is all I need to be honest.
DJ VEE 3:00 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

what crack are you on. I want some. SL1 = $150-$250

But i guess theres a sucker born every min.

LOL. Prices sure have come down since the last time I looked. Never mind. Although, there is one guy trying to sell one for $629. That guy is in a deeper vacuum than I was.
Mine has been a back up for a few years now. I think I will keep it that way.
Chuck Taylor 7:09 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
I still got mine. I'll probably never need anything else. I hope it shoots down in price so if mine packs in I'll just replace it. I ain't interested in any software updates other than 1.9.2. Two turntables, mixer and laptop is all I need to be honest.

I agree kinda

what ever happened to those days where u just needed 2 turntable and a mixer some music and a brain to dj (before serato ) 90s and below

know days every man and his dog (as they say ) wants to dj

SL 1 Was the beginning of the end of the good days
Code:E 8:39 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
I agree kinda

what ever happened to those days where u just needed 2 turntable and a mixer some music and a brain to dj (before serato ) 90s and below

I know what happened. Technology advanced, some out there wanted to push farther and higher than their peers, by product of this they found easier ways of doing it thus lowering the entry bar. Upside this technology has raised the bar of the educated, and how allowed this "art forum" to grow in new and creative ways. Also allowing the bar to be raised yet again. Overall this has helped to grow the art forum. I think we are far better off today they ever.
DJ Alkemy 9:53 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I agree kindawhat ever happened to those days where u just needed 2 turntable and a mixer some music and a brain to dj (before serato ) 90s and below
I know what happened. Technology advanced, some out there wanted to push farther and higher than their peers, by product of this they found easier ways of doing it thus lowering the entry bar. Upside this technology has raised the bar of the educated, and how allowed this "art forum" to grow in new and creative ways. Also allowing the bar to be raised yet again. Overall this has helped to grow the art forum. I think we are far better off today they ever.

I agree. When the envelope is pushed right it is amazing, think Live remix project and the like. I have kinda lost interest in DJing, in a club sense anyway. But fair play to the DJs who are furthering the artform. I only do 1-2 nights a week of standard DJ nights, the rest is either my own nights or when I'm doing a gig with one of the groups I'm in so I'll only ever need and want the basic setup. I wouldn't have the time or attention span to get into all the controllers and software bells and whistles even if I wanted to.
Chuck Taylor 1:07 PM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree kindawhat ever happened to those days where u just needed 2 turntable and a mixer some music and a brain to dj (before serato ) 90s and below

I agree. When the envelope is pushed right it is amazing, think Live remix project and the like. I have kinda lost interest in DJing, in a club sense anyway. But fair play to the DJs who are furthering the artform. I only do 1-2 nights a week of standard DJ nights, the rest is either my own nights or when I'm doing a gig with one of the groups I'm in so I'll only ever need and want the basic setup. I wouldn't have the time or attention span to get into all the controllers and software bells and whistles even if I wanted to.

true guys

the tec part of it has its good and bad points no doubt

just a shame really

soon enough DJS wont even need to know how to beat mix just press a button on a mixer and It does it for you so put the headphones in the bin coz your not going to need them ether soon ........that's a shame there no art in that
d:raf 5:56 PM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Sorry I should have been a little bit more clear (and also forgot Rane and Serato are separate). But yeah basically by not supporting an older but still functioning box they just lowered the entry point for people to DJ. That's like Porsche making a $30,000 car that still functioned as a $100,000. Everyone is going to wanna get a Porsche so of how everyone got the knock off Caddy and fronted like it was a Bently

www.autotraderclassics.com

www.autotraderclassics.com

Older models always drop in price (unless they're collector's items). If someone wants to gain entry into the wild, magical world of DJing they can get started for a lot less than the price of an SL1 (which, I might add, still requires a computer and a mixer at the very least, unlike this: www.musiciansfriend.com ).
4mydawgz 11:07 PM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:

SMH

It's business before craft.
Club Ample 11:49 PM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
hey guys

I my rane 62 should arrive any day now going to use serato dj

so may never need to use my ssl 1 box again

thinking of selling it or is it worth keeping for any reason ??

to sell or to keep lol ??

Since your thread got a little derailed, (typical on here).... to answer your question... Unless you really need the $150-200 that it may bring in... I would personally keep it. As others mentioned you may get a gig where you can't plug in your 62... or your 62 may break and need service at which time you might need to borrow a plain mixer to do your gigs in the meantime. Much easier to find a plain mixer to borrow than a 62 or 57 or some other compatible Serato interface. Dont worry about whether it will be compatible with Serato DJ unless you really rely on the few features that might be missing from Scratch Live. As Alkemy stated... an older version of SL is more than enough to get the job done, especially if its only as a backup.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:09 AM - 6 December, 2013
Quote:
As Alkemy stated... an older version of SL is more than enough to get the job done, especially if its only as a backup.

I just can't wrap my brain around why a DJ would keep an SL1, even as a backup since the sound quality for the SL3 and up is like night and day...
d:raf 12:17 AM - 6 December, 2013
I've kept mine as a backup for my Xone DX (flame on vinyl/CDJ purists, flame on) but I haven't had to use it (yet). Now it's worth so little it's barely worth selling at all if I have to spend at least another $200 on top of what I get for the SL1 to get a new backup (thinking of the SL2 as a minimum replacement); I may as well hold onto it for posterity.

Maybe when they fix the keylock in SDJ it'll be worth it...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:18 AM - 6 December, 2013
Quote:
I may as well hold onto it for posterity.

You know what? You're right...

I'm sure I would "Keep" it but would have added an SL3.
Club Ample 12:21 AM - 6 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
As Alkemy stated... an older version of SL is more than enough to get the job done, especially if its only as a backup.

I just can't wrap my brain around why a DJ would keep an SL1, even as a backup since the sound quality for the SL3 and up is like night and day...

Im just thinking considering it would only be used as a backup...I doubt most people are even gonna notice the sound quality after a couple drinks. lol
DJ Alkemy 2:51 AM - 6 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

So what happened when you used your SL1 in the first place?. Were people complaining about the sound quality?, did it sound atrocious?

Or did it not make a blind bit of difference cause 1: The club setup had a nice rig that could carry off a good sound..and 2: very few people could tell the difference one little bit

You see what I'm saying
Chuck Taylor 8:40 AM - 6 December, 2013
thanks guys

I am not expecting to much for an SL 1 box so I am just going to keep it as a back up may need it sometime
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:19 PM - 6 December, 2013
Quote:
You see what I'm saying

I get what you're saying, but I've ALWAYS been a sound quality buff. Pre-Serato. I took pride in having the LOUDEST, CLEAREST PA system that my area had ever heard.

I have always implemented Pre-Amps, and plenty of headroom for sound.

When you can have undercutters offer to take your position "For Free" for auditions, and your client is like...."Can you match his system", and they walk away with their tails tucked, that's when you know.

I mean, just the look and sound was intimidating before we even flipped it on.

When I started researching Scratchlive, and "Comparing" it to Vinyl, I wasn't impressed, (and relative mode didn't exist), so I held out.

Then came the SL3, and better quality, because I wanted to "emulate" the exact vinyl experience. I was deathly scared of the "Digital" sound, and knew I'd have to recalibrate my system to compensate, especially for the low end...

Vinyl records only produce a certain frequency range of sound, whereas CD and digital files were a completely different story.

For me? Totally personal preference.
DouggyFresh 12:31 PM - 6 December, 2013
Realistically, if you let the system and amp gains handle the amplification and stay away from cranking the internal gains & volume too far, you could never go wrong with volume.

The mixer I use has RCA outs, which put through a ART CleanBox to convert to XLR, which again has independent gain controls. I prefer to leave my mixer and Serato just hitting yellows... The CleanBox isn't really digital, it's more just a unbalanced/balanced converter so I don't think it can "clip" but I generally keep mine half-way. I love the clean unclipped sound of music...

Coming in a few hours before opening, making sure you are not clipping the amps, clipping your box, clipping your mixer comes a long way in making the best sound quality by far. Just hitting the clubs compressor/limiter regularly can drastically reduce sound quality..
DJBotz 3:01 PM - 7 December, 2013
Keep a stable compatible version of SSL and the SL1 box with a solid mixer, and you will ALWAYS be able to rock a crowd if you got skillz. All the talk about sound quality is horseshit IMHO. Im sure in all the years we have all been djing, not once have you been approached and told your "sound quality" was awful while using an SL1 box. Just keep it.
Joee 6:33 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:
Keep a stable compatible version of SSL and the SL1 box with a solid mixer, and you will ALWAYS be able to rock a crowd if you got skillz. All the talk about sound quality is horseshit IMHO. Im sure in all the years we have all been djing, not once have you been approached and told your "sound quality" was awful while using an SL1 box. Just keep it.

when sl3 first came out i did a side by side comparison between sl1 & sl3 with a pioneer mixer and qsc speakers…..i could not tell the difference between the two

now maybe if it were studio monitors you could tell? now before the 62 i was using a ttm57 when i first hooked up the 62 i did notice the difference
Joee 6:34 PM - 7 December, 2013
^ the 62/57 was on ev speakers
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:30 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:

when sl3 first came out i did a side by side comparison between sl1 & sl3 with a pioneer mixer and qsc speakers…..i could not tell the difference between the two

Then those ZXA5's that you've been bragging about have damaged your hearing....Either that, or you've been rocking 128 Napster Bitrate files....
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:09 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I just can't wrap my brain around why a DJ would keep an SL1...

says the man using the realistic mixer
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:45 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I use that to show off, but the 56s for business....
Joee 11:29 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO
Joee 11:31 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Then those ZXA5's that you've been bragging about have damaged your hearing....Either that, or you've been rocking 128 NapsterBitrate files....

nothing wrong with my hearing BUDDY…… lol, i did notice this difference with the 62 vs 57, the files were not mine it was a boys serato playing since i sold my sl1, maybe it was his files?
Joee 11:32 PM - 7 December, 2013
^ ps them zxa5 are the THRUTH SON!……..you better recognize
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:35 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:
maybe it was his files?

Ha, listening tests should ALWAYS be conducted with songs/files that you're intimately familiar with, and know beyond the shadow of a doubt how the song SHOULD sound... :-).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:36 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:

I do, but it's hard to believe, but them bucks spent sure better stand for SUMPHIN!
Joee 1:10 AM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I do, but it's hard to believe, but them bucks spent sure better stand for SUMPHIN!

o they do, i should have no better than to get in a debate with you, you all technical & errrthing………..lol

whether or not the sl3 sounded better than the sl1 i didn't care as i already sold my sl1 & owned sl3 i'm not djjohnnym i ain't got time to be all technical…….MAN…..lol
DJ Alkemy 2:32 AM - 8 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Heh heh heh