DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Trademarking your DJ name?

|DJSIGMA| 1:58 AM - 24 November, 2013
Has anyone trademark their dj name? How long would the process be to do so? I might have to even change my dj name cause it has been taken. I chose this dj name because it seem fitted for me but I looked up and one person actually trademarked the name.
DJ GaFFle 2:31 PM - 24 November, 2013
Are you the Sigma from djforums.com?
DJ GaFFle 5:00 PM - 24 November, 2013
Hey, what version of "Lights" is this: www.mixcloud.com

... the 1st song in this mix?
|DJSIGMA| 2:06 AM - 25 November, 2013
Quote:

yes I'm sigma from mixcloud and yeah I might have to change my name.
DJ GaFFle 3:20 AM - 25 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

You missed my questions. What version of "Lights" is that?
|DJSIGMA| 3:56 AM - 25 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You missed my questions. What version of "Lights" is that?

Shook
Mr. Goodkat 7:20 PM - 25 November, 2013
what about dnb producer sigma
Dj Nyce 12:52 PM - 26 November, 2013
i trademarked (copyright) my dj name. it costs about $350. no lawyer and it was easy. took about 3 months to go thru.
Zed Ex 4:38 PM - 26 November, 2013
Good luck, Sigma have been producing, DJing and releasing (including in the charts) under that name for nearly a decade!
djpuma_gemini 8:52 PM - 26 November, 2013
Change the variation of the name
sygma
sig-ma
etc.
djpuma_gemini 8:54 PM - 26 November, 2013
Search here.
tess2.uspto.gov

Scene did it.
tess2.uspto.gov
djpuma_gemini 8:55 PM - 26 November, 2013
This one.
tess2.uspto.gov
DJ Remix Detroit 1:04 PM - 27 November, 2013
wow... i just threw my custom logo into google images and my shit got jacked.

www.muzik-online.net
DJ Remix Detroit 1:15 PM - 27 November, 2013
Holy Shit, dudes have been straight up jacking my logo, this is insane.

www.google.com
Logisticalstyles 2:00 PM - 27 November, 2013
What are you going to do about it? That's pretty cool that you can do a google search by image. I just learned something new.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:56 PM - 27 November, 2013
Quote:
What are you going to do about it? That's pretty cool that you can do a google search by image. I just learned something new.

i cant do shit right now, because it's not copyrighted... but thats about to change real soon.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:57 PM - 27 November, 2013
heres the original pic my logo was made from. www.dropbox.com
ozfrombk 10:12 PM - 28 November, 2013
Question-

Say your name is DJ Cutmaster

But then there is a DJ Cutmaster out somewhere in the world that's doing their thing as well.

You guys are both marketing the name hard.

That other guy has the name "DJ Cutmaster" on lock with social media but you happen to have a copyright.

Does the other person have to change their name? And give up the handle on social media platforms?
Dj Nyce 11:04 PM - 28 November, 2013
Quote:
Question-

Say your name is DJ Cutmaster

But then there is a DJ Cutmaster out somewhere in the world that's doing their thing as well.

You guys are both marketing the name hard.

That other guy has the name "DJ Cutmaster" on lock with social media but you happen to have a copyright.

Does the other person have to change their name? And give up the handle on social media platforms?

for the copyright to go through you have to show proof of the mark including the date when it was first used in the capacity you are registering it as. if you register your mark and cutmaster 2 can prove that he used his mark earlier than you, you may lose any trademark violation cases.

if your trademark use is earlier than cutmaster and you register your mark, you can pursue cutmaster 2 in court for violation which includes cease/deceasting, financial penalties, etc. as far as social media is concerned, some such as twitter and facebook will turn over usernames that infringe upon trademarks. google, doesn't give a fuck.

so in the end, it's really up to the social media company. you can sic your lawyer on them, but you can't force them to shutdown an account or turn over the username to you.