DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

IDA Scratch Category world finals video

Vekked 6:58 AM - 21 November, 2013
IDA is doing a vinyl-only freestyle scratch battle online right now. We were all given the same beat and this is round 1 of 3 (5 out of 15 DJs go to round 2, then head to head finals). Here's my entry repping Canada:

Watchwww.youtube.com

The other vids are on that channel too, overall it might be the highest skill level for a pure scratch battle ever, some really nasty scratchers.
Joee 4:20 PM - 21 November, 2013
nice, i'd say you and DJ SYMATIC are the top two routines
DJ Shameless 7:17 PM - 21 November, 2013
too dope...
StylesD 7:47 PM - 21 November, 2013
fire as always!
DJ Remy USA 10:42 PM - 21 November, 2013
gotta step my scratch up you on the next level scratches
DJ Remy USA 10:44 PM - 21 November, 2013
I like the cuts at 2"04 and on those were really cool. Were did you learn those
DJ Remy USA 10:44 PM - 21 November, 2013
Mr. Krabs was dope af too.
DJ Quartz 11:46 PM - 21 November, 2013
Nice!
auttomattik 4:37 AM - 22 November, 2013
Dope set Vekked. But the French cat was using Traktor? I thought you said it was vinyl only? His set was dope but he clearly made a pre-edit for his scratch sentences. You and all the other cats I saw were using actual battle records. Anyway, you got my vote bruh. How do you get in that battle?
Vekked 4:48 AM - 22 November, 2013
Thanks dudes!

Quote:
I like the cuts at 2"04 and on those were really cool. Were did you learn those

The basic technique is what people call "tazers" nowadays. Lasers (whipping the record back and forth freely) + transforms or clicks of some sort. I added the thumb to it because I can do certain combo's easier flicking to my thumb rather than using my fingers to throw the record both ways. Rafik popularized the combo around 07.

Quote:
Dope set Vekked. But the French cat was using Traktor? I thought you said it was vinyl only? His set was dope but he clearly made a pre-edit for his scratch sentences. You and all the other cats I saw were using actual battle records. Anyway, you got my vote bruh. How do you get in that battle?

Yea actually 4-5 people used DVS and there has been some debate with it... basically with how many countries there are and this being the 1st world final, there were some language barrier/translation issues. DVS wasn't supposed to be used but some didn't really understand that because the rules said "Scratch vinyl only" but didn't explicitly say the words DVS or Serato anywhere, but they meant vinyl only. This is round 1 of 3, so they said they'll clear it up for the next couple rounds.

This is the world final, so we had to go through 1-2 rounds for the national finals, all online. The nationals were advertised online (mostly facebook), and were open to anyone to enter. The North American finals were the first to start, I think round 1 was almost 4 months ago now or something.
auttomattik 11:11 AM - 22 November, 2013
Thanks bruddah! Next year then.
auttomattik 3:39 AM - 1 December, 2013
I have a big criticism of this IDA final, no U.S. Judges! No judges from the home of turnablism, the place where the best dj's in the world reside. I think this contest loses a huge amount of credibility. It's too bad cause I've seen some nasty cats on there.
Vekked 5:24 AM - 1 December, 2013
Quote:
I have a big criticism of this IDA final, no U.S. Judges! No judges from the home of turnablism, the place where the best dj's in the world reside. I think this contest loses a huge amount of credibility. It's too bad cause I've seen some nasty cats on there.

yea, would be good to get some western hemisphere representaiton in general, but there's not even a USA branch for IDA so I imagine it has something to do with that. All of the judges are IDA World champs in some category, and no US DJ has won an IDA yet.