DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CDJ-900-Nexus

Code:E 6:47 PM - 19 November, 2013
Well a New CDJ came out yesterday..... Not sure about this one. It has a lot of cool features if your a Rekordbox DJ. But I have always had a problem with Pioneer doing things liek this. They make a deck very similar to there flagship model, give it a cool USF (Unique Selling Feature) or 2, charge a fair discount less but give people the impression is as good as the flagship model. And realistically it pretty much is EXCEPT for the fact that, they know it will never be an industry standard player and 3rd party support for it (like Serato and Traktor HID mode) will be a long time coming if ever. I guess it feels like a bait and switch to me. IDK anyone else have thoughts..... Though I would like to get my hands on one to mess around with. www.digitaldjtips.com
pioneerdj.com
TelosHedge 8:29 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
...But I have always had a problem with Pioneer doing things liek this. They make a deck very similar to there flagship model, give it a cool USF (Unique Selling Feature) or 2, charge a fair discount less but give people the impression is as good as the flagship model.

Damnit, and i was on vacation, so i wasn't gonna check any forums this week!

This is pio's new marketing scheme - let something run long enough to sell it, then add one or two buttons and sell the same thing all over again.

I have a pair of 900s. i bought them last year when my 1000mk3's finally died beyond the point of revival. i specifically bought 900s not to save money but instead because i'm 100% a serato kind of person and didn't need the extra features of the 2000s. for the record, i did not buy the 850s due to the lack of pro dj link support (i use it as a backup from time to time) and they were relatively buggy for use in HID mode.

i've seen the writing on the wall with this for a few months. after seeing pio come out with the SRT mixer (sorry, but it really is a 900 with blue lights!) i'm not surprised with this one at all. actually, i kinda think this cdj 900 nexus model has MORE features than i would have guess from pioneer. the color screen is actually a worthy upgrade in my opinion. due to the non-angled screen i'm going to go ahead and predict the 850 line will be discontinued. i also expected to see the SYNC section added on as well. trafficlight, kuvo, wifi, etc? sounds very fair to me, and i'm happy they're being thrown into the mix.

beyond that, these upgrades are pretty silly. i watched the 7 minute performance video all the way through - i saw a guy hit a bunch of loop rolls over and over again. how innovative.

we've been debating for a bit if the regular 900 would get HID mode - i think we just put the nail in that coffin with the release of these. i think these new players will get it, but who knows how long it will take or what bugs we'll have to deal with?

if pioneer shows up at NAMM with a cdj specifically built towards HID mode i'd be very happy and many of my opinions will be taken back - but for now these players are just not aimed at our needs, and that's all there is to it. the only thing left to see now is what the price will be. if they come in at the same ~$1000 price point i'll likely grab a set, swallowing my pride that the original 900s are 3 years old, or maybe i won't if serato and pioneer can't play nice with each other.
TelosHedge 8:31 PM - 19 November, 2013
by the way - i have been looking for a djm 850 and 750 at my local GC's and sam ash's for the last couple weeks... all out of stock (as well as CDJ850s). expect new mixers to drop soon (that will more than likely do cooler things than the 900 SRT!)
Code:E 2:59 AM - 20 November, 2013
I'm hoping for a new DJM2000.maybe a MK2.
djvtyme85 7:00 AM - 20 November, 2013
i own 900s use 850s at the station the 850s seem to lag when scrolling and i hate the platter sensitivity. the 900s feel like the old 1000 mk 3 at a neutral platter setting and lag is the same. i would say if you use serato and previously owned 1000 mk3s save money and use the 900s. Now the nexus look great and all but realistically I dont need any of the features so I'll pass.
Joe Fresh 1:09 AM - 21 November, 2013
The new CDJ-900 NXS look great. If I were to buy a pair of CDJs, I'd get these instead of the 2000 Nexus. Looks like it has everything I love about using the 2000Nexus in clubs, specifically the waveform display and the possibility of playing off an iPhone at a last-minute gig, for about 600 bucks less. I just hope it will work with Serato DJ (HID support).
DJ VEE 2:31 AM - 21 November, 2013
Just bought a pair of 900's this past summer. Wanted the nexus 2000's, of course, but did not have the cash and could not justify it anyway because I pretty much run strictly Serato and that would now be a very expensive controller for features I would not use. I love HID mode. Hard to go back to time codes after that. I convinced myself that the 900's will eventually get HID support with Serato DJ sooner or later anyway... Sure looks like they won't now.
Code:E 5:58 AM - 21 November, 2013
With these new 900's out. I would be reluctant to think the old 900's will ever get HID support.
DJ VEE 10:58 AM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
With these new 900's out. I would be reluctant to think the old 900's will ever get HID support.

Yup. At least I can stoic do that with for a while yet.
Baird 1:02 AM - 22 November, 2013
Hey Guys
So if you have the DJM 900 SRT running SDJ, would you see the sound wave on the Display screen if your using the 900 or 2000 nexus?
TelosHedge 2:50 AM - 22 November, 2013
Quote:
Hey Guys
So if you have the DJM 900 SRT running SDJ, would you see the sound wave on the Display screen if your using the 900 or 2000 nexus?

doubtful.

this is a feature i've been asking for since the CDJ2000s came out. i never got it.

it's likely they'll just show you the overview in blue, with cue point positions shown via triangles or something. i'm not sure how and if loops are displayed in the overview.
Baird 3:05 AM - 22 November, 2013
Giving the fact it's Nexus now, a firmware dated can make this possible right???
Baird 3:06 AM - 22 November, 2013
Update
BIGG BEAR 9:44 PM - 25 November, 2013
No hotcues and a uk price of over £1100 each,I like using the pioneer stuff but I think they're having a laugh with the price,its cheap plastic and has no hotcues this should be retailing at about £500 if that!
lvmez 9:21 PM - 26 November, 2013
Can anyone confirm release date on these? Looks like these will be a good pick for the price.
WarpNote 11:16 AM - 27 November, 2013
If they supported hotcues and waveform, Id be interested in these.
Having a hard time justifying the 2000mxs player price myself...
Jensen Määäm 2:50 AM - 28 November, 2013
Thoughts? Right now, to early to think about those...if you want to use them with SSL or SDJ, you would still need Control CDs, who wants to do that? No HID support for them at the moment, will there be HID support for them in SSL? Maybe, maybe not, we don't know it. Will there be HID support for them in SDJ? I guess so, but who knows and if it happens, when?
For the djs who are missing hot cue buttons on them, add a MIDI controller to your set up (Dicer, X1, SP1,...) and you are good to go. Let's say you want to use them with SDJ in the future, then you might want an SP1 for all the effects anyway.
djvtyme85 3:04 AM - 28 November, 2013
Quote:
Thoughts? Right now, to early to think about those...if you want to use them with SSL or SDJ, you would still need Control CDs, who wants to do that? No HID support for them at the moment, will there be HID support for them in SSL? Maybe, maybe not, we don't know it. Will there be HID support for them in SDJ? I guess so, but who knows and if it happens, when?
For the djs who are missing hot cue buttons on them, add a MIDI controller to your set up (Dicer, X1, SP1,...) and you are good to go. Let's say you want to use them with SDJ in the future, then you might want an SP1 for all the effects anyway.

you can use one thumb drive and link them. no need for control cds but yes no hid sucks
lvmez 3:09 AM - 28 November, 2013
I'm sure it will supported sooner than later. The 2000's nexus will be supported right away.
Jensen Määäm 4:12 AM - 28 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

you can use one thumb drive and link them. no need for control cds but yes no hid sucks

Correct, I should have said use of the control tone, on a CD or on a USB stick...
blackavenger 7:27 PM - 3 December, 2013
I wish Pioneer would support FLAC or ALAC. If yhey did, I would go with a strictly CDJ setup....drop controllers & DVS all together.
Asu 8:24 PM - 1 January, 2014
Quote:
Let's say you want to use them with SDJ in the future, then you might want an SP1 for all the effects anyway

or you can buy Serato remote for like $10 for your iphone or ipad...no lag on Mac with Adhoc network(computer to computer) meaning don't go through a router...OSX & iOS are amazing.
Asu 7:26 PM - 4 January, 2014
Quote:
I wish Pioneer would support FLAC or ALAC. If yhey did, I would go with a strictly CDJ setup....drop controllers & DVS all together.

i can't tell the difference between FLAC and a 320kbps AAC converted from the same source using Apple's low compression...neither can most people out there.

why don't you convert to 320 AAC and spin with that...maybe Pio hasn't adopted the standard because it's resource hungry.

A single song can be as high as 60MB depending on length,imagine scratching that or jumping around that track,the Processing & memory needed to load/run FLAC files etc....eventually after a couple of tracks the CDJ would hang/freeze with the current internal tech.

I think they don't want to cause a whole new set of problems.But a good 320 AAC Low compression track is as good to my ears from the same FLAC source.
blackavenger 6:30 AM - 5 January, 2014
Quote:
i can't tell the difference between FLAC and a 320kbps AAC converted from the same source using Apple's low compression...neither can most people out there.

I don't play high quality sound for the fucktards out there that could care less what is being played for them so long as they get laid that night. I play it for me! Because "I can tell the difference" between a 320 & FLAC/ALAC.

Quote:
A single song can be as high as 60MB depending on length,imagine scratching that or jumping around that track,the Processing & memory needed to load/run FLAC files etc

By that logic, the CDJs should struggle like hell to play .WAVs and AIFFs, as they are MUCH LARGER than their FLAC/ALAC cousins.

Quote:
But a good 320 AAC Low compression track is as good to my ears from the same FLAC source.

Then you need to get your ears cleaned, homie. There is a VERY NOTICEABLE overall clarity, and depth/warmth for Low Frequencies within Lossless files, than from Lossy formats like AAC & MP3.

But like you said, neither you nor the crowd care, LOL. You obviously didn't come from a vinyl background....because if you did, sound quality would be more important to you.
Asu 7:43 AM - 5 January, 2014
well if no one cares why should you...you got your computer,and head phones,play for your self FLAC...for the rest of us 320 AAC on a quality system is perfect...
WarpNote 11:38 AM - 5 January, 2014
Quote:

Quote:
A single song can be as high as 60MB depending on length,imagine scratching that or jumping around that track,the Processing & memory needed to load/run FLAC files etc

By that logic, the CDJs should struggle like hell to play .WAVs and AIFFs, as they are MUCH LARGER than their FLAC/ALAC cousins.

Im suspecting the actual decoding of a lossless compressed file (ie alac/flac) is where the CDJ is struggling? Remember, a wav/aiff does not need to be decoded in the same way as a compressed file. That said though, an mp3 file has harder compression, and by default should require more cpu for decoding. And remember, an mp3 file could be hrs long, that would certainly raise file size.

Alac size is about 60% of the uncompressed wav/aiff, not sure if that qualify as "MUCH larger", but absolutely agree on the initial feature request, alac/flac playback for cdjs would be nice. Obvious workarounds for now would be to stay with wav/aiff, or wait, bring your computer with your serato lib ;)

About sound quality, if using a djm 900 or the like, Im already missing a lot of warmth, if using a Rane, now there is a difference IMO.
blackavenger 2:56 PM - 9 January, 2014
Quote:
Alac size is about 60% of the uncompressed wav/aiff, not sure if that qualify as "MUCH larger", but absolutely agree on the initial feature request, alac/flac playback for cdjs would be nice. Obvious workarounds for now would be to stay with wav/aiff, or wait, bring your computer with your serato lib ;)

About sound quality, if using a djm 900 or the like, Im already missing a lot of warmth, if using a Rane, now there is a difference IMO.

Yeah, FLAC is usually 3 to 5 Megs smaller than ALAC. I never understood why this was the case. ALAC doesn't seem to be any better sounding than FLAC. Whatever, it's not important. The majority of my music is in FLAC. There was a period of many, many years where I kept 3 formats (.Wav, FLAC, ALAC) of my tunes, but now that Serato Products support FLAC, I've pretty much ditched all my ALACs. So, ideally, I would prefer that the CDJ line support FLAC. On a side note, I just recently sold over 600 pieces of wax because I "finally" finished ripping them to 24Bit FLAC...took me years to finish!! It's such a relief to not have to store/maintain that wax anymore.

LOL, at the "obvious workaround"......the whole idea was to abandon the Laptop at shows, and show up w' Flashdrives alone.

I doubt Pioneer will ever do it though. I have been petitioning them to support FLAC or ALAC for their Car Audio products as well. Every year CES rolls around, and no new Head Units supporting FLAC/ALAC...so, oh well!
lvmez 4:08 PM - 9 January, 2014
Asu 1:10 AM - 22 February, 2014
my prediction is Pioneer is gonna come out with a DJM with 2 usb's for easy switching...they have this on the new SZ controller...there's a hint...guys that bought the 900SRT will be pissed i know.

Meanwhile with SDJ 1.6 the old CDJ 900's got HID back...guess NXS is next in that order.
Baird 1:08 PM - 22 February, 2014
Why would you need two USB for switching and you got rekordbox? I'm not a huge fan but it works pretty cool. Two UBS would be great; being creative is what Pioneer brings, to me that's how am looking at this.
Asu 9:09 PM - 22 February, 2014
Quote:
Why would you need two USB for switching and you got rekordbox? I'm not a huge fan but it works pretty cool. Two UBS would be great; being creative is what Pioneer brings, to me that's how am looking at this.

Yeah not everyone uses rekordbox...having 2 usb's is a fast switch...this new SZ controller has it...i just know that feature is coming to a pio mixer
TelosHedge 3:40 PM - 27 February, 2014
everybody talks about the 2 USB functionality just for the notion of switching DJ's easily. does anybody use their second USB as an emergency backup like i do?

when the SL4 came out i jumped on it immediately. i bring two computers with me - one setup for decks 1 and 2, and the other setup for 3 and 4. if my normal computer ever decides to crash (and it happens from time to time) it only takes me as fast as i can type on the other computer to get back up and running.

i think the dual USB interface is the single most important feature of these interfaces.
Asu 10:18 PM - 27 February, 2014
Quote:
everybody talks about the 2 USB functionality just for the notion of switching DJ's easily. does anybody use their second USB as an emergency backup like i do?

when the SL4 came out i jumped on it immediately. i bring two computers with me - one setup for decks 1 and 2, and the other setup for 3 and 4. if my normal computer ever decides to crash (and it happens from time to time) it only takes me as fast as i can type on the other computer to get back up and running.

i think the dual USB interface is the single most important feature of these interfaces.

Boy that's some serious preparedness....but yeah you raise a good point...but u can also easily use the same usb port for the other laptop that's not broken,unless one soundcard brakes / bent usb connection etc...it is an excellent feature though.